PDA

View Full Version : DM / Player Tools Generating Books

tesral
06-25-2008, 01:13 AM
Generating Books (http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/fantasy/books.html)

Books are the life blood of an RPG game in that we need the books that explain the rules to play the game. One can also encounter books in the game as treasure or even plot points.

The problem for the Game Master is to determine what books are found and enough about them that the players can get a handle on the concept of what the book, which does not really exist, is....

boulet
06-25-2008, 07:14 AM
Who has hidden Tesral's sleeping pills ? It ain't fun anymore : he ends up confused, walking all night... I want names.

(the link is interesting though)

tesral
06-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Who has hidden Tesral's sleeping pills ? It ain't fun anymore : he ends up confused, walking all night... I want names.

(the link is interesting though)

Thank you. I did write it. Yes, I keep odd hours at times.

cplmac
06-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Yes, very interesting! After reading through it, I have come away with what will make the Demonicon (book) that my party is to recover very unique. Can't wait to see their reaction when I tell them that the book is bound in a skin cover. Thanks for the usefull info, Tesral.

Kilrex
06-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Yes, very interesting! After reading through it, I have come away with what will make the Demonicon (book) that my party is to recover very unique. Can't wait to see their reaction when I tell them that the book is bound in a skin cover. Thanks for the usefull info, Tesral.

Plain skin is ordinary, hide of demon is more appropriate. Or the skin of a soul that has been tortured in the Abyss for 1000 years, with scarified tissue. Or the cover could be a Demon bound to the book, I know it has been done before but is still nifty.

cplmac
06-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Plain skin is ordinary, hide of demon is more appropriate. Or the skin of a soul that has been tortured in the Abyss for 1000 years, with scarified tissue. Or the cover could be a Demon bound to the book, I know it has been done before but is still nifty.

I was thinking of something like the skin of a demon that had be imprisoned by the former owner of the book. Nice part of it is that I am planning on having the demon try to get the book from the party before they can get it back to the place they started from.

nijineko
06-28-2008, 02:25 PM
how about combining the two ideas? use the skin of from a human with levels in that one prestige class that turns you into an evil outsider type... from tome and blood, i think. not recalling the name offhand.

i use crystalball to generate names for books and the like, myself. that or use some of the random roll tables to determine what the book(s) are about. ^^