PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Heroes of All Time?

teckno72
06-24-2008, 02:34 PM
There were times when I deeply adored:
Watchmen
Firestorm (in his own comic)
Booster Gold (in his own comic)
The Question
Jack of Hearts
Rom, Space Knight
Captain America
Iron Man
Professor X and the X-Men
Power Pack
The Chosen (the concept, not the execution)
New Mutants
Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld
The New Avengers

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Fantasy heros?

1... Thoth-Amon (RBH books)
2... Conan (RBH books)
3... Jaraxle (Drizzt books)
4... Jaraxle's #2 man, the Drow Psion (Drizzt books)
5... Pherun(sp?) (Drow Wizard, in the Demon Queen Wars)
6... Felix (Gotrek and Felix books)

I could go on but, needless to say, i would love to be any of these guys.

Thoth-Amon

Tamerath
06-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Darth Vader (yes I know he's a villian but the Jedi treated him like crap...I'd join the Sith too) and all he really wanted was to make the universe a better place (well...under his rule)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-26-2008, 03:08 AM
Darth Vader (yes I know he's a villian but the Jedi treated him like crap...I'd join the Sith too) and all he really wanted was to make the universe a better place (well...under his rule)
I'd also be a Sith, or a Dark Jedi, until a Sith Lord could be found to continue my training.

Thoth-Amon

nijineko
06-28-2008, 04:38 PM
i enjoyed the question and amethyst.

of all time? the Anything Goes 5. Toaster Puppy, Silverhawk, Chimneysweep, Network, Purrkitt.

Mead
06-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Oliver Queen, Jon Sable, Malcolm Reynolds, James T. Kirk, The Doctor

nijineko
07-04-2008, 06:42 PM
i could vote for the doctor. ^^

Cortosis
09-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Some of my favorites:

- Spiderman, he's not only a hero, but also a normal person. :)
- Obi Wan Kenobi, the perfect example of a Jedi Knight

And of the villains:
- General Grievous. Muahahaha :mad:, perfect example of a villain. Plus he works with those funny little battle droids. :D
- Venom. One of the only villains that does not kill innocent bystanders

kirksmithicus
09-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Han Solo (smart ***)
Conan (bad ***)
Ensign Johanson (dumb ***, but fearless)

MuslixtheMighty
09-23-2008, 09:43 AM
I have always seen Darth Vader not as a villian but as an Anti-hero.

Gotrek Gurnisson (Gotrek & Felix)
Snorri Nosebiter (Gotrek & Felix)
Bruenor Battlehammer (Drizzt Books)
Wulfgar (Drizzt Books)
Ivan and Pikel Bouldershoulder (The Cleric Quintet)
and the most important of them all
Gordon Ramsey!!!

Webhead
09-23-2008, 10:07 AM
I'll cast another vote for Malcolm Reynolds:

Mal: "Mercy is the mark of a great man."

*Stab*

"Guess I'm just a good man."

*Stab*

"Well...I'm alright."

-----

Simon: "How do I know you won't kill me in my sleep?"

Mal: "You don't know me, son, so I'll say this once. If I ever kill you, you'll be awake...you'll be facing me...and you'll be armed."

Simon: "Are you always this sentimental?"

Mal: "I had a good day."

Grumpy Old Man
09-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Flash Gordon
Dick Tracy
Phantom
Captain Marvel
Red Ryder
Lash Larue
Hopalong Cassidy

Its a really long list but this is the favorite list

nijineko
09-24-2008, 02:47 PM
mighty mouse!

DeathByDM
09-25-2008, 08:52 AM
My all-time favorite heroes have to be:
Spiderman
Wolverine
Drizzt Do'Urden
Wulfgar
Elminster
Peter Petreli (sp?) from Heroes
Han Solo
Anakin Skywalker
Mario Mario
Luigi Mario

1958Fury
09-25-2008, 09:04 PM
Samus Aran.

nijineko
09-26-2008, 05:00 PM
hong kong phooey!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-26-2008, 07:00 PM
I always liked that Shark with the top hat that said "Gotch ya!" all the time. He was always looking for food. His sidekick was a catfish or something. This was the '70's. Anyone remember his name and/or the name of the cartoon?

gdmcbride
09-26-2008, 07:04 PM
I always liked that Shark with the top hat that said "Gotch ya!" all the time. He was always looking for food. His sidekick was a catfish or something. This was the '70's. Anyone remember his name and/or the name of the cartoon?

"Misterjaw"

Gary

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-26-2008, 07:53 PM
"Misterjaw"

Gary
Then put me down for Misterjaw. He was an average Joe, a snazzy dresser, with delusions of grandeur.

http://www.mofolandia.com.br/tubarao/misterjaw1.jpg

Bearfoot_Adam
10-04-2008, 03:56 PM
I'd have to say my two favorite heroes of all time would have to be
Guy Noir Private Eye
And Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)

Sascha
10-04-2008, 04:24 PM
I'd have to say my two favorite heroes of all time would have to be
Guy Noir Private Eye
And Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)

Always was partial to Hobbes, myself, but definitely Guy Noir for the win. ('Specially when he's hitting Robert Altman in the head with a champagne cork :p)

I'll add some not-quite-heroes-but-dangit-anyway:
Spike Spiegel
Saotome Ranma

Aeval
10-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Drizzit
Vampire Hunter D
Harry Dresden
Commander Vimes
Richard Raul

Chi
10-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Batman
Conan

Webhead
10-06-2008, 02:33 PM
...Harry Dresden...

:thumb: :first: :whoo:

nijineko
10-06-2008, 04:55 PM
wandering away from the comic book genre, but....

Jesus of Nazareth, one of, if not the only, half-god/half-human to walk the face of this earth, had many fascinating and interesting things to say, not even death could hold him down.

Captain Moroni, a native american of ancient times: circa ~99bc-56bc, took command of all the armies of his nation at the age of 25 and proceeded to kick some serious butt for the rest of his life.

Queen Ester, a woman of courage, spirit, and faith. single-handedly changed the course of several nations due to her unwavering dedication to her people and faith in her beliefs.

Abish, also a native american of ancient times, circa: ~90bc, thought to be a handmaiden of the queen of her people. her family had a secret, which secret placed her in a pivotal moment in history where she proved to be instrumental in changing the course of two nations.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-06-2008, 05:32 PM
The Tibetan, Milarepa. He went from Black Magician able to control weather, to spiritual giant in but one lifetime. Read the book, its great.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Musashi, a 16th century Samurai. Great book as well.

nijineko
10-06-2008, 06:23 PM
ah yes, miyamoto musashi, arguably the greatest swordsman who ever lived. while he lost duels with other weapons (notably against the 'old man of iga') he never lost a sword duel. and he died peacfully in his sleep. very few who live by the sword can make that claim. he also suprassed swordsmanship to become a renowed artisan, poet, writer, and even spent time as a farmer, later in life. his final act was to mediate in a cave for about two to three years or so, during which time he wrote the "book of five rings". awesome book, even if the fifth chapter is never translated into english right. a man worthy of emulation.

the kurosawa movies samurai one, two, and three are very well done movies of his life.

Webhead
10-06-2008, 06:51 PM
I admire both Miyamoto Musashi and Akira Kurosawa as well.

I desperately want to watch Yojimbo again soon. Excellent film.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-06-2008, 06:57 PM
ah yes, miyamoto musashi, arguably the greatest swordsman who ever lived. while he lost duels with other weapons (notably against the 'old man of iga') he never lost a sword duel. and he died peacfully in his sleep. very few who live by the sword can make that claim. he also suprassed swordsmanship to become a renowed artisan, poet, writer, and even spent time as a farmer, later in life. his final act was to mediate in a cave for about two to three years or so, during which time he wrote the "book of five rings". awesome book, even if the fifth chapter is never translated into english right. a man worthy of emulation.

the kurosawa movies samurai one, two, and three are very well done movies of his life.
I absolutely loved the movies. There's a magic to them, no question. A magic that calls me back to watch them again and again.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-06-2008, 06:58 PM

I dont blame you. I think it's time to pull out the flicks for another go.

nijineko
10-06-2008, 07:37 PM

have you seen the sequal to yojimbo? it's a great movie too... sakuranbo. ^^ if you haven't, go see it now. =D

Chi
10-06-2008, 08:08 PM
wandering away from the comic book genre, but....

Jesus of Nazareth, one of, if not the only, half-god/half-human to walk the face of this earth, had many fascinating and interesting things to say, not even death could hold him down.

Captain Moroni, a native american of ancient times: circa ~99bc-56bc, took command of all the armies of his nation at the age of 25 and proceeded to kick some serious butt for the rest of his life.

Queen Ester, a woman of courage, spirit, and faith. single-handedly changed the course of several nations due to her unwavering dedication to her people and faith in her beliefs.

Abish, also a native american of ancient times, circa: ~90bc, thought to be a handmaiden of the queen of her people. her family had a secret, which secret placed her in a pivotal moment in history where she proved to be instrumental in changing the course of two nations.
I agree with you on Jesus of Nazarath and Queen Ester!

nijineko
10-09-2008, 09:21 PM
=D i'm very interested in the native americans as well, as you can likely tell.

Moritz
10-12-2008, 05:50 PM
have you seen the sequal to yojimbo? it's a great movie too... sakuranbo. ^^ if you haven't, go see it now. =D

Zatoichi meets Yojimbo is also amazing.

Anything with Zatoichi (all 30+ movies and television series) and/or Yojimbo is worth seeing. It's like spaghetti westerns with samurai.

Thorgrimm
10-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Here are mine in specific order.

Han Solo
Gotrek
Felix
Commissar Ibram Gaunt
Commissar Caiphas Cain
Eisenhorn
Ravenor
Makol
Larkins
Crocker
Silent
David Valentine

nijineko
10-13-2008, 01:24 AM
Zatoichi meets Yojimbo is also amazing.

Anything with Zatoichi (all 30+ movies and television series) and/or Yojimbo is worth seeing. It's like spaghetti westerns with samurai.

i haven't seen that one! although i have seen zatoichi... and met a buddist priest that was a dead ringer for him, even though he could see! he was even a member of a sect that requires him to train in and carry weapons with him at all times. he was flattered that i though he looked like zatoichi, so he gave me a couple of his old wooden practice swords. ^^

MuslixtheMighty
10-13-2008, 09:46 AM
A video* about one of my favorite heros.
(Visually work friendly, sound wise not so much.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq2_YKQGE_U

Sascha
10-13-2008, 05:00 PM
A video* about one of my favorite heros.
(Visually work friendly, sound wise not so much.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq2_YKQGE_U

I'm hoping Stephen Colbert gets a cameo (or larger) in the upcoming film ... Ol' Caps did will him his shield, after all ;)

Mead
10-13-2008, 06:20 PM

I just finished the Criterion versions of Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, and Sanjuro (for the umpteenth time.. and by now I usually just put the Seven commentary on instead of the film itself), prob gonna watch Hidden Fortress tonight. Think I have some others squirreled away somewhere here too.

nijineko
10-15-2008, 12:47 PM
*^^* i meant sanjuro... i must be confusing the title with another movie. ^^ i haven't managed to acquire copies of those movies yet. on my list to.

Mead
10-15-2008, 09:55 PM
*^^* i meant sanjuro... i must be confusing the title with another movie. ^^ i haven't managed to acquire copies of those movies yet. on my list to.

If you've never heard the CC Seven Samurai commentary, you are in for a real treat. Of course, every time you hear the CC Seven Samurai commentary, you are in for a real treat.

That'll likely be the only DVD special feature I ever gush about. But it's honkin' brilliant. It even beats the LotR stuff. Well... maybe. Ok, probably not, but still, get it. And make sure you get the Criterion Collection version of all of them. There's a boxed set.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Bruce Lee! Why? He was our patron saint when i was big into martial arts. He represented the perfect martial artist in his philosophy and single-minded perspective. He trained 40+ hours a week, took what worked for him from many styles, and incorporated it into a unique style specifically designed for his strengths.

I would loved to have seen what he would have brought to the martial arts world if he never died.

Mead
10-15-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm just happy he inspired Jackie Chan to do comedy fu

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-15-2008, 11:41 PM
...And lets not forget Sonny Chiba! This guy was badaz! Sonny brought attitude like none other to the silver screen. Some of his classics would include: Street Fighter, Return of Street Fighter, and Sister Street Fighter... going by memory. Yes, i am a proud owner of all his classics.

nijineko
10-16-2008, 12:05 AM
well, if we're going that route, be sure to include sammo hung and biao yuen! great movie "bai ga jai" (the prodigal son).

Addis Hellfire
10-19-2008, 01:09 AM
My favorite heroes and villains, lol, no particular order.

Beatrix (Kill Bill)
Alucard (Hellsing)
Walter (Hellsing)
Sir Integra Hellsing (Hellsing)
Lord Soth, the Knight of the Black Rose (Dragonlance/Ravenloft)
Strahd Von Zarovich (Ravenloft)
Wolverine (XMen)
Gambit (XMen)
Cable (Xmen)
Magnito (Xmen)
Mister Sinister (Xmen)
Darth Vader (Starwars)
Darth Maul (Starwars)
Count Dooku (Starwars)
Luke Skywalker (Starwars)
Boba and Jango Fett (Starwars)
Han Solo (Starwars)
The Joker (Batman)
Two-Face (Batman)
Raistlin Majere (Dragonlance)
"The Red Dragon" (Drakengard)
Caim (Drakengard)
Legna (Drakengard 2)
Venom (Spiderman)
Carnage (Spiderman)
Ghost Rider (the being, not the specific rider) (Ghost Rider)
Merlin (Excalibur)
Deckard Kain (Diablo series)

Webhead
10-20-2008, 01:37 PM
If we're throwing villains (or "bad" heroes) into the mix, I have to represent for Etrigan.

Etrigan (speaking of J'onn J'onzz aka Martian Manhunter): "I don't trust the martian. He's damaged goods."

Batman: "I would trust J'onn with my life!"

Etrigan: "I'll send flowers."

Thorgrimm
10-21-2008, 05:29 AM
Lobo

Webhead
10-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Lobo

I never much cared for Lobo, but that's just personal opinion. His cameo in the Superman Animated Series was slightly amusing, but I never understood how the character could stand on his own. He always felt like a watered-down characterization of Wolverine to me...that is, Wolvie without all the elements that made him redeeming. YMMV of course.

wbrandel
10-21-2008, 03:25 PM
I have to agree with Grumpy Old Man. those heroes were good. I am to young to have experienced them when they came out, but I purchase the cd sets of the radio shows and the dvd sets of the tv shows like that.

Aeval
10-21-2008, 06:36 PM
I think we need to start a Villians we love to hate list too.... Mmmm... i can think of some yummy ones...

;)

Mead
10-23-2008, 08:53 AM
I never much cared for Lobo, but that's just personal opinion. His cameo in the Superman Animated Series was slightly amusing, but I never understood how the character could stand on his own. He always felt like a watered-down characterization of Wolverine to me...that is, Wolvie without all the elements that made him redeeming. YMMV of course.
That's what makes Lobo so refreshingly awesome, he has no redeeming qualities. He's just a badass a-hole in a world full of people in dire need of a sound stomping.

Wolverine vs Lobo would be an epic fight.

boulet
10-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Lobo is my favorite ! But I've never cared for regular super heroes. Actually I'm not much of a DC/Marvel consumer. Like most frog geeks I've been into bande dessinée more than comics, and super heroes aren't much represented in this medium.

1958Fury
10-23-2008, 09:08 AM

They did fight, in Marvel Vs. DC... it wasn't really that spectacular, I wish they'd devoted more panels to it.

Webhead
10-23-2008, 10:16 AM
That's what makes Lobo so refreshingly awesome, he has no redeeming qualities. He's just a badass a-hole in a world full of people in dire need of a sound stomping.

The only Lobo comic that I found remotely amusing was Lobo vs. The Mask. That was pretty good. I forget who "won" or if a "winner" was ever even made clear.

Sascha
10-23-2008, 12:03 PM

Depends on the version of Lobo, really; the version where each drop of his blood turns into another, fully-formed Lobo would probably stomp ol' Wolvie through sheer numbers (though, most likely only a dozen or so of the clones would have any interest in the fight :p). The more recent versions? Ya, definitely an epic battle.

Mead
10-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Depends on the version of Lobo, really; the version where each drop of his blood turns into another, fully-formed Lobo would probably stomp ol' Wolvie through sheer numbers (though, most likely only a dozen or so of the clones would have any interest in the fight :p). The more recent versions? Ya, definitely an epic battle.

The only one I've ever actually read was the Last Czarnian. Maybe the Santa Claus one, stopped collecting comics around 1992.

Sascha
10-25-2008, 12:46 AM
The only one I've ever actually read was the Last Czarnian. Maybe the Santa Claus one, stopped collecting comics around 1992.

Yeah, the blood clone ability was one he started with; he had it taken away by, of all people, Brainiac's clone-son (leader of L.E.G.I.O.N. - gee, comics stories sure are weird :P). In the originals, he wasn't even Czarnian; they redid his backstory to make him even more of an anti-hero, along with his biker image. Gotta love the plot-based power suites, though not as bad as some ... (I'm looking at you, Super<insert noun here> :tongue:)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-25-2008, 12:53 AM
With the right training from birth, i believe i would have made a great superhero.

Come on now, we all thought it about ourselves one time or another in our lives? :bolt:

...or not. :der:

nijineko
10-25-2008, 01:15 AM
your pr would need some work, but you'd be popular at halloween parties! ^^

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-25-2008, 11:34 PM
I got one: Yaphet Kotto as Parker, the Chief Engineer, in Alien. 1979.
http://shaznfaru.com/images/alien.jpg

This guy was simply a bad-ass to us kids when we first saw this movie in theaters.