PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Discussion

Necrite
06-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Any questions for me relating to the campaign can be posted here.

Necrite
06-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Those of you who have already rolled stats: If you have an idea what you might want to make, please let me and the others have a rough idea (Race/Class).

Thanks

nijineko
06-21-2008, 04:16 PM
serious question: i note that the 4 base psionic classes are allowed, but the expanded psionics handbook, from which those classes are taken does not appear to be listed in the approved books.

also i note that the basic prestige enhancement books are listed, but not the updated "complete x" series of books. many of the prestige classes from the basic books are updated from 3.0 to 3.5 in these books, can they be allowed, please? as i am looking at a psionic class for my choice, and the basic prestige books don't have psionic material, that would be an important factor in my choice.

lastly, oriental adventures was updated from 3.0 to 3.5 in one of the dragon magazines. i can get which one it is, in case anyone is interested. are you allowing the dragon mags or the website supplemental material?

as a side note, my first idea for a character, the one i've been wanting to try for a while now, got tossed out the window with the "no LA races" bit. sigh. ^^

Necrite
06-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Psionics is being taken from the listed website, as I have the original psi handbook, and it's... not so great... Most, if not all of the psionics stuff is in the SRD, so it's OK. But I'd rather stay away from the psi races.

If you have something specific which is not allowed by the above limitations, ask. The worst that will happen is I say "no."

I own the original 5 splat books, but not the 3.5 versions. In most cases the updates are minor. I have access to the Complete series, but prefer to use the books I can easily reference. Again, if there's some reason to prefer the Complete series over the original books, let me know, and I'll take a look at it.

I read over that issue of Dragon. I think I even have it somewhere. There's little that I see as needing updated. See previous comments: If there's something there ... blah blah blah....

To the Dragon magazine stuff... There's so much stuff available, by different authors, not written to work together, and often balanced on its own, and with the core books, but not with other stuff... I just tend to lean away from Dragon magazines for players. There is this one article that turns a bunch of undead creatures into templates though... I just loved that article... *evil laugh*

Finally, what race? There may be some mutually agreeable way to make it work. I'm not completely inflexible, just mostly.

nijineko
06-21-2008, 09:53 PM
oh, i can't stand the 3.0 version either. it was a half-baked job. almost there, but still fell short! argh!

the expanded psionics handbook is actually worth the money. if it's not in the srd (most is) i can copy it out for you.

let me get my info together and i'll send it to you about my first idea. which has the advantage of being non-psionic....

i wasn't planning on inflicting an elan on you, even though i have wanted to try one out. ^^ sometimes i'll play a thri-kreen, but usually as a fighter type. if i play an archer, i'll likely go with an elf type. the ebauer would likely be a human.

in any case, let me get the first idea together and send it to you. then you can decide and we'll go from there.

nijineko
06-28-2008, 08:33 PM
just an update. i'm trying to avoid typing everything out by hand, but it is looking more likely that i will have to in the end. sigh.

so far the resources that would be used include: Player's Handbook, Races of Stone, Complete Warrior, Complete Adventurer, Enemies & Allies (the old 3.0 book that came out just after the prestige books), Miniatures Handbook, and the Dragon magazine 313. the two templates i wanted to use are part-ogre and part-minotaur, btw. i'm looking at half-giant, goliath, or human as the base race. but leaning away from the half-giant so that i won't have to inflict psionics on you. this build would be completely psionic free, incidentally.

please note that this listing of books is simply a list of all the books that i've found resources that this character would likely use during his development. once i've narrowed down what he will have at the start, then i can give you a condensed list of what i actually used, rather than that "big list of all i'd like to use over the course of twenty levels". ^^

the basic idea is that of the big strong guy who is more than what he was made to be, also trying to overcome some of the handicaps that his training has inflicted upon him. he is an escaped fantasy-version of a super soldier experiment, but one designed by commitee, and a commitee of intellectuals who had never actually seen or experienced combat, to boot. he has spent his life under intense brainwashing and now that he is free, (or is he?) he is trying to do the whole "who-and-what-am-i" thing. for one thing he tries to avoid violence, and flatly refuses to kill sentient beings. he tends towards vegitarianism so that he hurts fewer animals. his philosophy is basically, "hurting bad, killing bad, but gotta eat, gotta live." he is still struggling to work out the details and distintions, however.

he saw many other 'experiments' punished and tortured, even killed, for no good reasons that he could understand. he was tortured and punished himself. this is where his "hurting bad, killing bad" idea comes from. but he has been starved, and he thinks he might have hurt or maybe killed some of the experimenters in escaping, and this bothers him. He realizes that he would be dead if he hadn't escaped, and that he has to eat, even at the expense of animals... that is where the "gotta eat, gotta live" comes from. he is not sure if hurting bad people who are hurting others is okay or not... but he does tend to lose his temper when faced with blatant examples of beings being hurt.

i've also toyed with the idea of having weird random coded keywords which were used during his brainwashing as trigger words for different actions. we could either make these up ahead of time, or i could let you have fun and simply inform me when a combo is hit upon. for the latter option, i would like to have a pre-defined list of likely actions so that i know that number of programmed actions, and what he will do as a result, so that i can rp it out. however, i wouldn't know the keyword in that case. ^^ more fun for you. i'm sure having him expectorate or break vile wind whenever someone says "gold pieces!" would have it's amusing (if low humor) moments. the programmed keywords should be the sort of things that fantasy based intellectuals would find amusing, as well as easy to remember. the resulting actions should be impressive for the funding clients and patrons. probably designed to show off how fierce and scary he is, as well as how strong.

a short list of possible suggestions: break something, kill something, intimidate something, act wild, act obedient, lift something big and heavy, throw something or someone.

(i admit i was tempted to add one more template (part-golem) to give him a big stone arm... thus turning him into a near miss for fantasy-hellboy. all i'd need would be to make him a tiefling as the base race for the finish.... ;D but i didn't.)

Necrite
07-04-2008, 10:20 PM
I like this idea. I like it enough that I'm willing to work with the fact that it uses many books I don't have, something I usually don't do. You WILL need to get me the necessary rules text though. Emailing me scans of the appropriate text blocks is good enough, if you don't want to type them out.

There are some issues that need to be dealt with.

1> This character would hate pretty much EVERYTHING about the City-State. He would want OUT, in any possible way. He definitely would not be coming into the City-State, which was my original intention. I'm thinking that he's native to the City-State, and escaped (or did he?), and desperately wants out, but has some goal that prevents him from leaving. You can figure that one out on your own.

2> Is the character the product of crossbreeding (like half-elf, half-orc, orog, etc), or magical mixture (like owlbears, et al)? I have some ideas that would work with your origin, if you are of magical origin.

nijineko
07-07-2008, 04:09 PM
within the context of a dictatorial or even rules-heavy (corrupt or not) type city-state, i think that some likely outcomes of his origin might include the following:

captured and sold to a patron of the gladitorial arenas-especially due to his appearance and size and strength-this could even lead to him having free (as in adventuring) time between the big fights...;

anyone wanting some muscle to stand around and look scary, even given his ideology, would be interested in him. especially if they could convince him that they were simply abiding to the terms of an agreement (legal or not-he'd likely not really get the difference)...;

some compassionate individual, group, or order could have found him, and be trying to reform him and teach him how to break free of his conditioning-with varying degrees of success... (i'd likely snarf at any attempt to turn this one into a beauty and the beast look-a-like... which is highly likely to result in unintended player directions, ne?);

he could be extremely wary of anything resembling being owned again, very likely considering. which could result in all of the above being pitched to him at once... he could have offers from arena patrons to come and fight for them, offers from various "interested individuals" who would like him for muscle... and how long would either be likely to wait.... the "law" might want him for the same reasons as above, or be suspisious of him just because of how he looks, or might be wanting to enact some sort of legal control over him.

is he property? would he be considered emancipated? is the legal establishment even aware of him? would they care? his legal status would make a difference... especially if papers are required to move from section to section or get out of the city....

i suppose that it would depend on the status of his previous owner/experimentors. if they were a feared and hated cabal of mind-control Psycho-crats who harbor dark and twisted plans to remake everyone to suit their bizarre and perverse competing theories on the nature of social and mental make-up in a grand experimental game using the whole of the city-state for their playing board to see whose theory would win.... in such a case, everyone would probably join forces to stamp them out, if only to insure that they are in control instead of the psycho-crats. would the experiments be considered dangerous unknowns to be terminated on being made aware that they belonged to the psycho-crats? or would they want the power(s) that might be posessed by such offspring? or the knowledge into magical and transformational processes that they might represent?

or they could be il/legal weapons manufactures and these experiments represent the cutting edge of their research and devolpment program... they may still have representitives in the city, and other holdings... this disaster might only be a small setback to the large corporate entity they are part of. he might have to deal with assassains trying to terminate him, or recruiters unwilling to take no for an answer hunting him down, various factions of the corporation trying to control him for the knowledge that went into his creating, or for his obvious assets, or erradicate him for the insult that his existance represents. what secrets were encoded into his blood and bones? encoded notes enscribed upon the very surface of his bones? mystical patterns encrypted into the fabric of his flesh-his very dna? does he carry a package or packages of mysterious contents surgically implanted somewhere or in various spots in his body?

if they represent something that would be stamped out by others in the city, then he himself might engender a similar response in those who know his origin. or he might be an unknown, the most the law knows is the number of escapees, but no details or descriptions about them. in that case he could be searching for his 'siblings' trying to form a family of outcasts of common background.

as for nature of origin: i'm leaning toward an arcane infusion of various races. i think that's the best explaination for a part-goliath, part-minotaur, and part-ogre mix. even i would be rather hard-pressed to believe a natural parentage for that one. ^^ see some of the above ideas for possible variants and complications that could be attached. ^^ i just hope that i have enough resources or wherewithal to somehow acquire a weapon with the merciful enchantment of appropriate size for my character.

these are just a few off-the-cuff ideas that i'm throwing out there. ^^ and i will get you the needed texts for all things used or desired, somehow or another. =D

Necrite
07-08-2008, 02:47 AM
OK, random thoughts and responses in no particular order:

A "natural" origin can easily be explained: An evil alignment and multiple applications of the Dominate spell over multiple generations. I'm OK with either origin though.

Citizenship, or lack thereof: Depends on a few factors.
-Escaped slave: You will be detained by the law. Resistance will be met with any necessary force, up to and including lethal. Your owner will be fined for letting you escape, and may be held responsible for any damages you caused. If returned to your owner alive, your punishment is in his hands. As slaves have no rights, immediate death on return is common, unless the slave is considered valuable.
-If you are considered a "beast", as opposed to a sentient being, escape will mean the authorities label you a Dangerous Beast, or an abberation from Mermist Swamp. Either carries a "Kill on Sight" command.
-If you were created in secret, you have no legal standing. You would be treated little better than the beggar class due to your horrific visage, but the law would not be after you. Your former masters have a secret to protect though, and can't risk you exposing them, especially if you were the result of an unlicensed magical experiment, or worse, a black government project.

I'll see if I can find a group that would be willing to help you, but greed is a stronger driving force here than compassion is... You may get (or pay!) more than you bargained for.

Take a look at the equipment choices I listed. The "Heirloom" category may be good for you. It grants one good item (Grabbed while escaping?) and very little else. Seems appropriate for this background, to me at least.

Elbryon
07-08-2008, 11:01 AM
I wanted to start very simple for my first attempt so I was thinking about an Elf/Rogue with some kind of disability that makes him an outcast from regular elvin society (which explains part of why he's looking for a new place to live). If this would fit I can flesh him out more once we get the characters set and written up.

Elbryon
07-08-2008, 12:58 PM
I want to use the "standard equipment" option for my character. You mentioned starting at lvl 5 is that it or can we choose from 1-5 or do you decide that? At what lvl we start at what hit points do we use max for that lvl/character or do you want us to roll for each one like we would do normally? Finally how would you like us to submit our characters to you for approval?

Necrite
07-08-2008, 01:39 PM
The City-State setting is slightly more dangerous than "average" Starting you at level 5 is much like starting at 1 in a regular campaign, in terms of survivability at least. Everyone starts at level 5, with minimum XP for that level - 10,000 I think.

You get an automatic max roll on your first hit die. The rest are rolled normally. 1's are rerolled when rolling hit points. Roll them in the dice rolling thread up above. For example, If you went single class rogue, you'd get 6hp at first level, and 4d6 total for levels 2 through 5.

Now that the ball is rolling, I should start a thread to post characters in. Make it as complete and organized as possible, and post there.

Elbryon
07-08-2008, 02:10 PM
OK thats what I needed to know thanks Necrite I'll get right on it

nijineko
07-08-2008, 06:50 PM
i agree with you about the heirloom catagory. it seemed best. i kind of like the idea that he was 'designed' for fighting, hence my suggesting arena combat if it's available in this city. in such a case, that could be "his" weapon for when he is demonstrated to potential clients or whatever we decide on. so consider me picking that one. =D i'll get to work on a character sheet for you.

Elbryon
07-10-2008, 05:20 PM
How many of us are there going to be?

Necrite
07-11-2008, 06:45 AM
You, Arahira, nijineko, WolfeShade, and a friend from elsewhere who hasn't signed up here yet. He's unable to join right away, so I'll be holding a spot for him until he is available. I have a fifth who showed interest, but haven't confirmed anything with, because 1> I was waiting for a reply from someone else first, which I got a couple days ago, and 2> I'm a lazy bastard and hadn't gotten around to letting him know the spot's open. I guess I should do that.

Elbryon
07-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Good sounds like a fine group I think Im going to enjoy this ive been watching nijineko's campaign stuff and am interested in adventureing along side him and meeting the rest of them.

Elbryon
07-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Ok next question, and this may be a silly one to ask but it the introduction you made mention that the campaign will be based around what we want to do as long as we remain within the city state, are we going to work together mainly ie. somewhat of a plot, or is this just a base that we work on to our own ends.

*edit* to save makeing another unneeded post another question I have is where would you like us to put character background stuff/descriptions or does that matter atm.

nijineko
07-11-2008, 02:31 PM
yeah... we can work together... for a fee.... ;D

(just kidding... )

(mostly!)

Elbryon
07-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Oh well rob from the rich pay off the muscle sounds fair to me

nijineko
07-11-2008, 02:35 PM
i can live with that. ^^

Necrite
07-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Ok next question, and this may be a silly one to ask but it the introduction you made mention that the campaign will be based around what we want to do as long as we remain within the city state, are we going to work together mainly ie. somewhat of a plot, or is this just a base that we work on to our own ends.

*edit* to save makeing another unneeded post another question I have is where would you like us to put character background stuff/descriptions or does that matter atm.

Ideally, I'd like you guys to (mostly) stick together, and work towards a single, common goal. Since this format doesn't require me to respond instantly to your actions, I'm essentially giving free rein, and building the adventure around what you do. As you travel about and do your thing, adventure hooks will be thrown out as they become available.

Think about it kinda like a Final Fantasy game. You have an ultimate goal, but you can wander almost anywhere, and do a multitude of side quests and extras before you work on the goal set out for you.

Elbryon
07-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Exellent that is what I was hoping for.

nijineko
07-12-2008, 05:42 PM
is there a fantasy style work-out gym in the city? or order of monks? or stonemason's guild? some place where i could get some exercise without getting killed?

btw, i was thinking that it might be better if my origin story involved one being a project of one of the underlings, rather than the top dog. scale down any potential lethality a bit, ne?

Necrite
07-12-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm not sure if that's an option. I'll reread the section on the groups we discussed, and let you know what I find.

Fitz10019
07-12-2008, 07:18 PM
You, Arahira, nijineko, WolfeShade, and a friend from elsewhere ...

Oooo! Oooo! Me, too!
*raises frantically hand with a pick-me-pick-me-pick-me face*

nijineko
07-12-2008, 07:28 PM
welcome, fitz from elsewhere.... ^^

Necrite
07-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Oooo! Oooo! Me, too!
*raises frantically hand with a pick-me-pick-me-pick-me face*

Yes, you're the guy who, at the time of the original post, hadn't been invited because I'm a lazy bastard. :p

Fitz10019
07-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Thanks!

So we start at level 5...

Should our backgrounds cover just to the point where we left home...

Or through level 4 (including early exploits that gained us our experience)...

Are we meeting for the first time when we reach level 5?

Or did we meet at level 1-4, and have already been working together?

Edit:
Will there be downtime for crafting? Or is this more of a non-stop action setting?

Necrite
07-13-2008, 09:18 AM
The format pretty much precludes non-stop action. There is a good chance that there will be crafting time, but don't count on it always being available.

The City-State of the Invincible Overlord is located on a bend of the river known as the Estuary of Roglaroon. It's a fairly major port city, and, as mentioned in the intro notes, a popular stop for adventurous types. Each of you (except nijineko, he's special*) has your own reason for coming to the City-State from elsewhere. You have met on the many week long ship voyage to the City-State, and have agreed to work together for whatever reasons you may have.

*Special = making things beyond difficult for me.

Your background should cover as much as you want up to the point of walking onto the ship. Level 5 isn't really that high - you may have reached that point off training under a master, rather than adventuring. Again, this is up to you.

nijineko
07-14-2008, 03:03 PM
well, i would make a short-bus joke about my character... except that my character would in no possible way fit in one. unless he ripped the roof off and used it for a couch or recliner... ^^ and fear not, necrite! i shall faithfully provide you with all the information you could possibly need about the character. i'll even toss in notes about the ramifications of my various choices in play. =D i was working on the character sheet last night, as a matter of fact. ^^

in addition to the character sheet, i was planning on including a fact sheet quick reference quide for my character, so feel free to dump lots of questions on me. =D

Fitz10019
07-14-2008, 04:30 PM
If he's that big, maybe my archer can stand on his shoulder and fire his bow with a 'higher ground' attack bonus. :biggrin:

Elbryon
07-14-2008, 04:47 PM
now thats thinking outside the box, good idea though

nijineko
07-14-2008, 10:05 PM
there's a feat that grants that in races of stone.... (ducks necrite's swing)

yes, actually, he is that big. managed to wind up as a large sized creature instead of medium. a small sized creature could likely ride around on his shoulders as a mount. but he can definitely carry the load.... how you would convince him might be another story.... especially if you have uncomfortable foot gear.

Necrite
07-15-2008, 02:11 AM
Don't forget that with Powerful Build, even though you are large, you count as huge for Grapple checks, weapons usable, and a few other things.

I haven't gone through the stuff you sent me yet.... I certainly hope you don't force me to break out the Nerf Bat later on...

nijineko
07-15-2008, 04:40 PM
i am known for self-limiting my characters.... i put my lowest score in str, not that that means a whole lot considering the total adjustment, but still a minor thing. considering the philosophy he has adopted, he will only use subdual weapons, which will limit his combat abilities quite a bit. furthermore, i will be lowering his total attack bonus, where possible. there is also the fact that he is only a second level character with regard to his class abilities and hit dice. not to mention the roleplaying limitations i will be applying on top of all that.

i think i am safe in saying that you will find that he will enhance your gameplay because of his potential, and how i will handle it, rather than make you reach for the nerf bat. ^^ i hope to prove that just because a character could do something, doesn't mean that will automatically ruin a game. after all, the game is only "ruined" by the choices a player makes, not by how the character is built.

i didn't quite realize the full ramifications of my template choices until another friend pointed out some things i'd missed. ^^ but now i'm determined to demonstrate that it's all in what the player chooses. just like in life, just because you could do something doesn't mean you are going to, or even want to. self-discipline and honesty in one's characterization of the character is what's required.

oh, yes. i'll be waiting until after my 5th class level before i prestige into anything, as per the intent of your limitiation. so relax! breathe. =D you don't have to worry about me. ^^

Caligula
07-16-2008, 01:28 AM
Good day, everyone. To make this short and sweet so I do not waste any more of your time than necessary, I have question about this rpg, Necrite. First off, I must say I have skimmed through the Background section and I like what I saw, but I did not read it in all detail yet since I don't know whether I even have a chance. I'd like to join this one if it is alright with you, but I am afraid my D&D knowledge is quite limited. I do not have any of the manuals and remember very little. However, I do know the rules presented here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35) at the WotC site for the SRD d20. Would that be enough knowledge to join? I might need a hand in some areas, but otherwise I should be fine....well, question I'm asking is if this is a casual game or more advanced.

I'm fine if I can't join with such limited knowledge... I'm a GM for GURPS and I understand that issue. Either way, I thought I'd just throw it out there and see rather than just pass it by.

~Sylvengard

Necrite
07-16-2008, 02:27 AM
Hmm... I don't really want to dismiss you out of hand.

If I were to turn you down, it would be due to lack of space, not lack of experience. How else can you learn? Right now, the group is full, but one of the players isn't availble right away, and I don't know when he will be.

Give me some time to think about it. If I decide I'm comfortable with an extra person, then the chair will be yours.

Caligula
07-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Ah, space was another issue I had thought of. Oh that reminds me, do you have a list of the characters already playing somewhere so that I can think about which class I might want to play (if I do get in)?

Alright, take any time you need. Thanks for considering :)

EDIT: Oh dang, scratch that. I found the thread where the characters are. :D

Caligula
07-17-2008, 01:21 AM
Alright, good news. I found the AD&D Player's Handbook online in some type of pdf format, so I should be read up by the end of the week.

Necrite
07-17-2008, 02:15 AM
If it's AD&D, you might want to skip that. AD&D is 1st and 2nd Editions, and is quite different from 3rd. If you've got a single pdf with about 12 books in it, you're probably looking at the 2nd Ed version that's been floating around forever and a day.

Caligula
07-17-2008, 07:55 AM
This is interesting then. It says on the cover of the manual that it is 3.5e, and this doesn't look old enough to be 2nd, much less 1st. I think that this file was uploaded by someone who accidentally put AD&D in the title, because now come to think of it, I can't find AD&D written anywhere on the actual pages of the document.

Here is the manual in question, correct me if I am wrong about it being 3rd. It's not truely a pdf, btw, only something like it.

I also found a couple other books such as the DM's Guide, the PH II, and the Monster Manuals for 3e.

*EDIT by Necrite* Removed the link. See below.

Elbryon
07-17-2008, 09:53 AM
This looks just like my players handbook so you should be good to go

Necrite
07-17-2008, 10:04 AM
That's the right book, but even though it's (recently) out of print, it's not legal to distribute it, so I'm going to have to take the link out of your post. Only the rules (and not all of them!) are freely distributable under the OGL, not the art, any copyrighted material (like the deities list), and a few other parts.

We don't want some jackhole pointing at the link and claiming that P&PG is illegally distributing copyrighted material, and causing the site to get shut down, right?

Caligula
07-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Alright, that's what I thought. At least I'm on the right track now.

Dammit I should have thought of that... :ohwell: Thanks Necrite.

Umm, just outta curiosity, if someone were to report a link like that, isnt Scribd the site that would be taken down (as opposed to P&PG), if not just the file there?

Fitz10019
07-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Scribd AND P&PG would be 'guilty of distribution'
Good catch, Necrite.

nijineko
07-17-2008, 05:50 PM
necrite saves the day! =D here's a legal link to an online version (http://www.d20srd.org) of the free SRD.

and here's the link to the somewhat difficult to find 3.x SRD (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35) page on wotc's site. scroll to the bottom to get the all-in-one download. =D

these both contain mostly (~98%) the same material. there are a couple of exceptions on the online version, those are noted as such on the site. enjoy!

Caligula
07-17-2008, 06:21 PM
I thought that the SRD had a bunch of the fundamental material cut out... For instance, the combat section is entirely watered down for SRD, as is the magic and spell sections, and there is nothing in it about XP or leveling.

Necrite
07-17-2008, 09:38 PM
That is true. That's why I said not all the rules are covered by the OGL.

Elbryon
07-18-2008, 12:22 AM
yes and if the rules arent listed you can probably submit them to Necrite in some way for him to reference he could determine if they would be useable

nijineko
07-18-2008, 02:37 PM
I thought that the SRD had a bunch of the fundamental material cut out... For instance, the combat section is entirely watered down for SRD, as is the magic and spell sections, and there is nothing in it about XP or leveling.

to clarify, the combat section (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/combat.htm) is quite complete, minus the fluff and explainatory text.

magic is pretty well rounded as well, again minus the fluff and explainations.
http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/magicOverview.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/spellLists.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/spells.htm

and as for the xp here is a handy quote from someone else's discussion:

To get to a new level, you need xp equal to your current level x 1000....

it would be a good idea to get the phb, in any case. =D

Fitz10019
07-23-2008, 03:06 PM
So what are our statuses? I'm still working on Gladen's background story.

nijineko
07-23-2008, 04:27 PM
i've finally gotten in my character sheets and notes to necrite, just waiting his approval before posting them here, and trying not to interpret the long silence as ominous... ;D heheheh. i'm not too worried, if he decides against it, i have other ideas waiting in the wings. if he's for it, well then, prepare yourselves for a fun ride. =D this character is pretty "interesting".

Elbryon
07-23-2008, 04:29 PM
He does sound that way I am waiting to see him fleshed out

Caligula
07-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Did you decide on whether you are full or not, Necrite?

Necrite
07-27-2008, 10:33 AM
So what are our statuses? I'm still working on Gladen's background story.

That depends on what exactly you mean. Your status in your home area can be pretty much anything you want, as long as it isn't too grandiose (no king's firstborn son and heir apparent, for example). None of you will be of high enough import (see previous statement) for that to impact your bearing in the City State. You will all (except for nijineko, the difficult bugger) start at Social Level 4, meaning that within the City State, you are viewed as if you were on equal standing to a low to mid-ranking soldier, a common merchant, a minor noble (burgermeister, non-inheriting son of a duke or baron, bastard son of a slightly higher ranking noble), or a known (but not notorious) adventurer. As you become known in the City State, your Social Level will be adjusted up or down, based on any gain in popularity, contacts, or other influence.

Necrite
07-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Did you decide on whether you are full or not, Necrite?

Well, I haven't heard from the guy I'm waiting on, and adding you won't push the group over my real life comfort level, so I'm going to say go ahead and roll a character, and hopefully I'll have reached a higher comfort level with this format by the time he gets around to joining.

If I took too long to reply and you've moved on to other things, I'm sorry for the delay. I really had no reason. I'm a bastard.

Fitz10019
07-28-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm a bastard.

RPG and this, too? We have so much in common! :D

Caligula
07-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Well, I haven't heard from the guy I'm waiting on, and adding you won't push the group over my real life comfort level, so I'm going to say go ahead and roll a character, and hopefully I'll have reached a higher comfort level with this format by the time he gets around to joining.

If I took too long to reply and you've moved on to other things, I'm sorry for the delay. I really had no reason. I'm a bastard.

Honestly, no big deal. :) Don't worry about it.

Well, I was in a couple other games, but they both fell away, so for now the game I am DMing would be the only other one besides this one. Yeah, I'll get a character written up...I'll have him for you sometime today or tomorrow, Thursday at absolute worst.

Any class you have in mind?

Necrite
07-29-2008, 05:02 PM
I think we can take just about anything at this point. Roll whatever you want.

nijineko
07-29-2008, 05:30 PM
ooooo. options. ;D

Caligula
07-29-2008, 06:30 PM
I think we can take just about anything at this point. Roll whatever you want.

Alright, awesome...I'll see what I can do. :biggrin:

nijineko
07-29-2008, 09:14 PM
will all (except for nijineko, the difficult bugger)....

you should be glad i didn't want to play my favorite caster class of all time! ^^ talk about insanely difficult! heheheheh. but the thing i'm hoping to play is going to be so much fun to roleplay!!! i'm really looking forward to it.

Caligula
07-31-2008, 02:17 AM
Hey Necrite? It be alright if I push the due date out for the weekend? Things have been quite busy and I haven't had much time to think things through.

nijineko
07-31-2008, 05:01 PM
someday, somebody will let me play a beholder mage.... ^^

Caligula
08-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Okay, character is almost done. Btw, Necrite, he's a dwarf barbarian.

nijineko
08-01-2008, 06:04 PM
sorry, for some reason, i just had an image of my character and your character in the roles of bugs bunny and the abomnibabable snowman... "george!"

^^ heheheheheh, had to snicker.

Caligula
08-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Haha :D

Alright, Necrite, I should be done soon. Just about everything is finished...I just need to polish the rough edges and type it up.

Necrite
08-25-2008, 06:47 AM
For the record: I still plan on running this. I just need to figure out what's going on with a couple people, then we should be good to go.

nijineko
08-25-2008, 12:26 PM
awesome! i've been looking forward to it very much!

Elbryon
08-25-2008, 12:50 PM
aye this could be alot of fun

Elbryon
09-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Just stopped in to check on things and see if there had been any new goodies posted. I must say after reading your other posts I'm more than ready to delve into the Invincible Overlord.

nijineko
09-08-2008, 04:53 PM
looks to be interesting. =D i'm looking forward to it as well.

Caligula
09-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Hey Necrite? I must say that I need to drop from this one. My computer availability is limited, and now I only have time enough to revive my own game. It was an honor playing, but I must take my leave now. :)

nijineko
09-15-2008, 06:06 PM
miss the opportunity of gaming with you as a player, even as i rejoyce in gaming with you as gm.

Elbryon
09-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Yes, hope to catch you in another game some time.

nijineko
09-16-2008, 05:45 PM
so, necrite... what's the status of this game?

Necrite
09-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Virtually no advancement at this time... BUT... today is the first day of a two-week vacation. I will have something to work with soon. But not today. Today is mostly sleep.

nijineko
09-21-2008, 12:59 PM
arahira!!! finish your character, please, please, pretty please!!!

nijineko
09-28-2009, 12:49 AM
alright everyone. i have some good news and some bad news. as is my wont, i will start with the "bad" news. despite the fact that i've been spending only a fraction of my time with posting on rp and my other online projects, i've been spending too much time on the computer overall. i've noticed behavioral changes in the wife and boys that indicate that i'm too distant, or distracted, or busy... and i won't have that.

so i'll be spending a lot less time on the computer, and more time with the family. which means that the various online based projects and rp i'm involved with will take a serious hit in my attending to them.

the good news is that i will still make an effort to maintain involvement, but it will be more like a once or twice every month or three... or possibly even less often. i will be reachable via email, though much less often via pm or im. if you need to reach me, email me-or call if you have my number. ^^

again, this does not mean i am abandoning anyone, nor does it mean i am dropping anything, per se. if it does come to that somehow, someday, i will let everyone affected know specifically.
it does mean, however, that there will be loooooong gaps between when i look in to take care of something. if anyone cannot work with this, i fully understand, please contact me to work out any details. =D

like the cat of proverb, i'll always come by again... eventually. ^^

another piece of good news, i have a second part time job, so i am busy learning the in's and out's of that one, in addition to learning the first one. i'm near a month at my first job, and just finished the first week at the second job. looking forward to being able to pay more of the bills, that's for sure!

questions, comments, and in general, communications are welcome!