PDA

View Full Version : Have you read it?

Grimwell
06-17-2008, 04:09 AM
So, lots of 4th Edition debate and discussion all across the Internet. One question though... have you actually read the books, or are you just discussing it?

Maelstrom
06-17-2008, 06:50 AM
I'll have to hold off... books should be arriving today!

Shadow Dweller
06-17-2008, 07:53 AM
I have "gone through" the books, but have not sat down and read them cover to cover(as I know some have). I still have issues, but that's probably just being resistant to change.

Skunkape
06-17-2008, 07:56 AM
I haven't read them yet, which is why I really haven't joined in any conversations in depth other than to say that I'm not planning on picking up the system as there are plenty of other gaming systems that I own that work fine right now.

Webhead
06-17-2008, 09:12 AM
I've read about half of the PHB thus far and have taken a several quick overviews of the DMG and MM.

I haven't read them yet, which is why I really haven't joined in any conversations in depth other than to say that I'm not planning on picking up the system as there are plenty of other gaming systems that I own that work fine right now.

I can agree with this. There are so many systems that I already own that I'm fond of and would like to play. My main obstacle is that most of my players have little to no interest in trying many of these other games/systems, so it can be frustrating.

I think part of why I bother maintaining a connection to D&D is because it seems to be one of few games that most of the players I know won't have any resistance to playing. In 3.X, I was the one who didn't really want to play D&D when everyone else at the table was cool with it. I'm hoping that 4e might be appeasing enough to both worlds that it will become a game we (my group) can all agree on...a rarity.

Inquisitor Tremayne
06-17-2008, 09:39 AM
I have read the PHB and the DMG and looked at every page of the MM. I skimmed the Class powers section, Feats and Skills in the PHB.

Valdar
06-17-2008, 10:38 AM
I've read through all three books several times, and continue to see new stuff every time I re-read them. Very tempting to skip over the "well, duh" stuff, but that's not a good choice, since so much has changed.

cplmac
06-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Don't have any of them myself, yet. Was in a bookstore and got to talk a little with someone that had just bought them. He showed me a couple of things quick before leaving. I hope to eventually aquire them so that I will be able to game with others. I will plan on holding off trying to DM a 4E campaign until after I have played the system as a PC. Especially since it will be a big change from the 2E system game that I am the DM of.

Kilrex
06-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Read the PHB in depth via friend who bought. Like some stuff, but not much. I don't like the new direction and both my groups, minus one player feel the same way.

ronpyatt
06-17-2008, 05:44 PM
I've read them, and I'm re-reading them as often as I can borrow the books. 4ed, as it has been said before, is a new edition of D&D, not an upgrade. It is a remodeling of D&D, and as such, I find it is easier to actually read the books when I leave my 3E glasses behind, which can be tough, like unlearning THAC0.

Igbutton
06-18-2008, 01:15 AM
I've read through most of the MM and about half of the PHB barely even cracked open the DMG. I know I should be reading through the rules rather than checking out the monsters but my short attention span likes it more this way plus the illustrations are nice.

InfoStorm
06-18-2008, 08:32 AM
I've skimmed through the PBH, reading races, classes (quick glance at powers), and a few other parts. Haven't gotten time to sit in Borders with the DMG or MM yet.

Farcaster
06-18-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm about done with the PHB. I did skip over most of the higher level powers of each of the classes, but I got the gist of it for sure. Next, I'll be diving into the DMG. I'm actually a bit anxious to run a game using this new system now

:cool:

Webhead
06-18-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm about done with the PHB. I did skip over most of the higher level powers of each of the classes, but I got the gist of it for sure. Next, I'll be diving into the DMG. I'm actually a bit anxious to run a game using this new system now

:cool:

Just curious, did you mean "anxious" in a good way, or a bad way (since anxious can mean both uneasy and eager)?

Stupid English language and its occasionally duplicitous word definitions! ;)

Farcaster
06-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Ahh. Sorry. I meant anxious as in I am excited and eager to try it out. I have a 3.5e game this weekend. It'll be hard to resist the urge not to whip out the 4e books and go at it. Perhaps I will at least get them to make characters. (Who does't like doing that?) :D

Webhead
06-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Ahh. Sorry. I meant anxious as in I am excited and eager to try it out. I have a 3.5e game this weekend. It'll be hard to resist the urge not to whip out the 4e books and go at it. Perhaps I will at least get them to make characters. (Who does't like doing that?) :D

Very cool. When you do sit down to take a stab at playing the game, please let us know how it goes. I don't forsee the opportunity to actually play 4e for a long while, so I'd like to know what others' experience is like with the game at the table.

Digital Arcanist
06-18-2008, 11:02 PM
I've read the three books cover to cover now and am now trying to commit most of the PHB to memory. This weekend should be our first session of the new 4th ed. campaign. There are some great changes in the new edition and some that make me wary. Now I can sit down and see if the so-so changes work in actual play.

Valdar
06-19-2008, 12:27 AM
Had the first session of my 4e campaign tonight. The two combats took an hour each, with seven players, at least one of whom had never played D&D before.

Action was surprisingly fast- pick an ability, go with it. In the second fight, they were against four heavies that had a high AC, so everyone was scrambling for abilities that attacked Reflex instead, and they went down easy.

I asked for skill checks a lot for things, and it was great to see that the chara was trained in the skill about half the time. Haven't done a full-on noncombat encounter, though- looking forward to seeing how those go.

agoraderek
06-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Haven't done a full-on noncombat encounter, though- looking forward to seeing how those go.

they shouldn't really go any differently than they have since '74, should they?

Valdar
06-19-2008, 11:41 AM

There's an expanded game mechanic for them that takes into account multiple players and stages of the encounter (using one skill opens up the ability to use another kind of thing).

Skunkape
06-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Wish we could change our votes, because I've skimmed the books now and will only be buying them if I absolutely need them.

Tamerath
06-19-2008, 01:59 PM
I've read all three books cover to cover, played 2 game sessions as of this post, and currently designing my first adventure in 4th edition to be ran next week. DMing for 4th I think will be easy. Honestly, I'm writing faster for this campaign than I ever did in the past.

kaibrightwing
06-25-2008, 12:19 PM
i read it and i still waiting for playing it. i think it interesting, until i play it i'll wait to gave my final judgement on it.

Moritz
06-25-2008, 12:20 PM
They've got pretty pictures.

SpiffyBananaFoot
06-25-2008, 05:33 PM
I've read most of the PHB and bits of the others. I admit that I only skimmed parts of the PHB until Farcaster had us roll up chars the other night and I was basically clueless. Since then I have been playing catchup trying to figure out what I want to do.

Chi
08-08-2008, 10:34 PM
So I love to play but I hate reading through the books, it takes to much time so I let everyone else (who wants to) read the books, and then I just play. Is that wrong? Should everyone read the books thoroughly?

Stormhound
08-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Heck, I'm running a game and there are still sections I've barely glanced at (admittedly, mostly to do with character powers beyond Heroic level). Read to pick up concepts, learn by doing, that's my motto. Plus I have a rules lawyer in the group to help.

kaibrightwing
08-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Sadly i play i and iwas not interested in it feels like a slowed down version of WoW or it maybe how the dm ran the game i really dont know do it boring.

Inquisitor Tremayne
08-10-2008, 12:02 PM

No it shouldn't. that expanded mechanic called skill challenges is NOT the only way to roleplay in 4e. As a GM I see it as an optional mechanic anyway. It is merely a way to get all of the players involved in a "ROLE-playing" (non-combat) encounter, that is all.

Instead of putting the work in the GMs hand of getting everyone involved in playing their character they have made a mechanic for it that allows the GM to give everyone a chance.

Now whether or not that is a good or bad thing is up to the individual group.

Valdar
08-11-2008, 12:31 AM
So I love to play but I hate reading through the books, it takes to much time so I let everyone else (who wants to) read the books, and then I just play. Is that wrong? Should everyone read the books thoroughly?

I'm rewarding make-up xp for players that miss a session, then pitch in to help out with logistical things I as the DM don't need to do. Rules lawyering is one thing. Tracking init, taking the pizza order and calling it in, etc. are others.

Of course, I'm trying to play as close to Rules as Written for this campaign, so the rules lawyer has free reign to mine the community for answers without my house rules getting in the way.

Dragon2605
08-13-2008, 10:12 AM
I've skimmed through my friend's books and so far I'm not impressed to the point that I want to run out and blow money on the new books. I'm not saying 4th edition sucks. Like I have said in previous posts, I don't have money to burn and I invested quite a bit into 3.0 and 3.5.

Chi
08-15-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm rewarding make-up xp for players that miss a session, then pitch in to help out with logistical things I as the DM don't need to do. Rules lawyering is one thing. Tracking init, taking the pizza order and calling it in, etc. are others.

Of course, I'm trying to play as close to Rules as Written for this campaign, so the rules lawyer has free reign to mine the community for answers without my house rules getting in the way.

Sounds like a good idea to me, I might have to tell my DM about this.Hehe

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-15-2008, 10:28 PM
I read 4th edition. i dont like it so much. 3.5 is for me

dentarthur
08-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Just got the PHB and DMG last week, and I've read most of each. Overall, I must say I am impressed. I still think there's a risk of everything becoming too samey (pick a power, roll attack, roll damage, get small bonus to AC or whatever, repeat), but with a little strategic thinking on the players' part I think the game can be very engaging while still being streamlined in so many respects. I love the simplified skills, the ability to swap feats, the availability of ritual casting to non-caster classes, and I especially love that they've chucked daily spell preparation straight into the wastebin. I can finally play a cleric without getting bogged down with paperwork! Woo!

My biggest beef is no monk. I'm tempted to write up a martial-arts class myself, but I hear the monk is coming out in the PHBII, so I'll wait.

Valdar
08-18-2008, 12:51 PM
My biggest beef is no monk. I'm tempted to write up a martial-arts class myself, but I hear the monk is coming out in the PHBII, so I'll wait.

Monk is not likely to be in PHB2. PHB2 is listed as Arcane, Divine, and Primal sources, and Monk has been stated to have Chi as its power source.

Chi
08-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Monk is not likely to be in PHB2. PHB2 is listed as Arcane, Divine, and Primal sources, and Monk has been stated to have Chi as its power source.
I am not a power source! :lol:

Valdar
08-19-2008, 11:39 AM

Would have been cool, but you're right- I looked again, and they used the other spelling (Ki).

I guess you're off the hook.

Webhead
08-19-2008, 12:58 PM

...that's exactly what they want you to think! :spy:

Talmek
08-20-2008, 06:23 AM
I have now read the core three for 4th edition, and I must admit that while some of it seems appealing (primarily the "newness" of the system), I just can't get into it.

As it stands right now, I will play in a 4e campaign if that is all I can find, but I more than likely won't get too financially committed in it all (much like I did with 3.5).

Jcosby
08-20-2008, 11:26 AM
I got the PDF's early.. I purchased the books, I read them, I ran a few games. I'm ready to sell my books..

4th edition just isn't for me. I don't want to get into details they have been discussed to death on the internet.

Simply put it's a different game completely from 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition D&D. This version I just don't care for.

It's a shame.
Jeff

PS: In my mind this was a huge mistake by Hasbro/WotC, but only time will tell.

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-21-2008, 11:52 PM
yes time tells with all things. (hehehe:biggrin:i guess i do have wisdom)

Anodyzed
08-26-2008, 12:35 AM
I've read the PHB, not really the DMG or the MM.

I've created a couple characters, started a game with one of them.

I like SOME of the changes, but not all.

Skills ok, daily/encounter powers, not so ok. Feats, not so much, simplified creation, so so.

BUT, overall it looks to me like they've made it very MINIATURE applicable, or even computer programmable. That might be ok from a mechanical point of view, but it robs some of the RP from the game, from what I see.

Overall my impression: Not too impressed. Won't waste my money on it. But wouldn't turn down a game if the alternative was to sit on the sidelines.