PDA

View Full Version : Guess my age!

Engar
06-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Not related to the whole "I want no one I haven't screened to read my ranting..." Blah, blah, blah...

Is age or age group a reasonable sort criteria for finding players/groups? Obviously it need not be required (other than 13 or whatever, but that's the web guru's compliance thing). It gets discussed eventually, but might save some time. I want to make sure the group I choose has a comfy rocking chair ready for me.

Farcaster
06-16-2008, 04:57 PM
I've thought about having an age group category on the player registry for members who have decided to share their birth date information. There are only two things that are a bit of a hitch. A lot of members don't choose to share their age in the current options. If they aren't sharing their age, I don't want to display their age group either, for privacy reasons. Second, I am very hesitant to provide a way for anyone to be able to do an age group search for anyone under 18. So, that'd probably be out. Perhaps I could lump the younger ones into the undisclosed category though.

mrken
06-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Undisclosed = young. Not in all instances I guess, but those looking will take the lack of info as an indication.

boulet
06-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Hell, I would even like to be able to screen French players ! Yuck.

Skunkape
06-17-2008, 08:28 AM
You know, I've never had a problem with letting young or old players game with me. First I try to make sure I interview new players to the group and second, if the player is under 18, I make sure their parents are aware of the fact that we are adult that the individual is playing with and also make sure that those same adults who are playing keep their language and play in check.

Heck, I prefer a young player's parent(s) are at the first game or games so that they're aware of and comfortable with their children's activities.

I've found that you can have a young player whose more mature than some 'adult' players! You just have to make sure to tailor your gaming experience to your audience!

cplmac
06-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Undisclosed = young. Not in all instances I guess, but those looking will take the lack of info as an indication.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, this is so true. I wonder if that is how they get alot of thier information.

You know, I've never had a problem with letting young or old players game with me. First I try to make sure I interview new players to the group and second, if the player is under 18, I make sure their parents are aware of the fact that we are adult that the individual is playing with and also make sure that those same adults who are playing keep their language and play in check.

Heck, I prefer a young player's parent(s) are at the first game or games so that they're aware of and comfortable with their children's activities.

I've found that you can have a young player whose more mature than some 'adult' players! You just have to make sure to tailor your gaming experience to your audience!

Wouldn't it be great if the parent also started to play too?

Engar
06-17-2008, 04:53 PM
As a teacher you are expected to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. Under 21 is an unacceptable risk to my livelyhood.

Farcaster
06-17-2008, 08:05 PM
That's understandable, Eng. I wouldn't be opposed to having a younger player in my game, but my limit would probably be 18 or over. No younger.

agoraderek
06-17-2008, 11:13 PM
As a teacher you are expected to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. Under 21 is an unacceptable risk to my livelyhood.

the ale flows freely at my games, so i tend to see 21 as the floor for ages in my game as well.

Webhead
06-18-2008, 11:33 AM
the ale flows freely at my games, so i tend to see 21 as the floor for ages in my game as well.

We don't mix alcohol with our games anymore. Unpleasant experiences and none of us are anything but social (if even that) drinkers anyway.

That aside, anyone 18 or over maybe be able to find a place at my game table, as long as they demonstrate non-problematic personalities. Maturity and social conduct are more important to me than the numbers.

mrken
06-18-2008, 11:57 AM
The age of the player has never been much of a factor to me. I have GM'ed for groups of adults, pre-teens and a mixture of every age. I tend to keep my games rather PG rated normally so making it a bit more gentle is not really much of a problem. Running games for my children and their friends has helped me see just how gentle a fantasy game can be. Still a lot of death but the kids expect that as they grew up watching their parents all play DnD.

Currently I am running a game for couples who's youngest child running about the house at 12, the oldest two had to quite the game because they started a job, though one has changed jobs and now finds he may be able to play again. The other group is sort of in neutral as we can't find enough people to keep it going when the two boys took jobs and one member left. We have had two new people join but leave after one week. :( May be a problem with the frequency of get-togethers planned at twice a month but in actuality more like once a month if we get lucky.

Engar
06-18-2008, 01:54 PM
I just like the bar set at 21 for my house. I rarely drink too.

amardolem
06-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Not related to the whole "I want no one I haven't screened to read my ranting..." Blah, blah, blah...

Is age or age group a reasonable sort criteria for finding players/groups? Obviously it need not be required (other than 13 or whatever, but that's the web guru's compliance thing). It gets discussed eventually, but might save some time. I want to make sure the group I choose has a comfy rocking chair ready for me.

WORD!!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Drinking in moderation is cool with our games. In a six hour game, the most i have ever seen anyone drink is three beers.

Thoth-Amon

nijineko
06-19-2008, 11:59 PM
this one is one of the odd ones who've never had a drink (alcoholic) in this ones life. moreover, the smell of alcohol gives this one an instant headache. *shrugs* among other reasons for avoiding it. ^^ nonetheless, this one finds that maturity of soul to be the primary factor, regardless of age. though legal youth this one does require to acquire knowledgeable and informed parental consent. (teaching opportunity to boot, belike)

RivenNookRavenClaw
06-20-2008, 12:32 AM

Well, even with the option of an age sort given what Farcaster has said it would probably be worthless in that younger people might lie electronically about their age.

There is an option of just stating in a campaign invitation the age range you are looking for and then following up with some sort of photo screen or what have you.

But yes, I sympathize all to well with your concern.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-29-2008, 01:53 AM
I just like the bar set at 21 for my house. I rarely drink too.
We keep it above 18. It just seems the wisest in the end.

Thoth-Amon

Ramzei
07-13-2008, 11:06 PM
I have gamed with mid-teen aged players and it was a lot of fun. However, they were the nephews of the GM. I wouldnt want to be gaming with some strangers children due to the world we live in today.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-13-2008, 11:19 PM
We keep it above 18. It just seems the wisest in the end.

Thoth-Amon
Well, let me be more clear. 18 is the minimum. My games are above 21. Usually, the minimum age is 29 in all our games, so it all works out.

Thoth-Amon

cplmac
07-15-2008, 08:24 AM
I have gamed with mid-teen aged players and it was a lot of fun. However, they were the nephews of the GM. I wouldnt want to be gaming with some strangers children due to the world we live in today.

Sad but oh so true! I agree that I would not want to have under 18 players in the group that are not part of my own family of relatives. This way you know the parents and everything. Can't be to careful these days.

Tomcat1066
07-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Sad but oh so true! I agree that I would not want to have under 18 players in the group that are not part of my own family of relatives. This way you know the parents and everything. Can't be to careful these days.

The only exception I'd make to this is children of players in my game. After all, if Dad is rolling a d20 right next to his son, chances are good that he's OK with the kid role playing :D

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-15-2008, 02:19 PM
The only exception I'd make to this is children of players in my game. After all, if Dad is rolling a d20 right next to his son, chances are good that he's OK with the kid role playing :D
It's not unusual for one of one or more of our players to ask if their kids can play. As Tomcat1066 states, it's okay as long as the parents are there sitting by there side. Of course, that would be the only exception.

Thoth-Amon

cplmac
07-15-2008, 06:56 PM

It's not unusual for one of one or more of our players to ask if their kids can play. As Tomcat1066 stats, it's okay as long as the parents are there sitting by there side. Of course, that would be the only exception.

Thoth-Amon

Yes, this would be the only way I would make an exception.

Tomcat1066
07-15-2008, 07:09 PM
It's not unusual for one of one or more of our players to ask if their kids can play. As Tomcat1066 stats, it's okay as long as the parents are there sitting by there side. Of course, that would be the only exception.

Thoth-Amon

Just curious, but how old are these kids?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Just curious, but how old are these kids?
14-16 years of age. Yes, to me, anyone under 18 is a kid.

Thoth-Amon

Engar
07-15-2008, 11:50 PM
I just moved and everyone I play with is presently a complete stranger. That factors too.

Tomcat1066
07-16-2008, 04:42 AM
14-16 years of age. Yes, to me, anyone under 18 is a kid.

No arguement. At my age, I tend to consider them kids as well (although I remember how mad that made me when I was that age ;) ).

I just moved and everyone I play with is presently a complete stranger. That factors too.

Ouch. I don't blame you for being extra cautious then. With your job being what it is, and everyone's a stranger, I don't blame you at all.

nijineko
07-18-2008, 07:52 PM
discretion the better part of valour.

Tomcat1066
07-19-2008, 07:10 AM
discretion the better part of valour.

I've always argued that alcohol was often the better part of valour ;)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-19-2008, 01:38 PM
I live out here in Southern California and use to work for a school that put out teachers. I dont blame you, in fact, male teachers are becoming higher in demand. For they have no rights it seems, taking only one accusation to ruin their career.

Best of luck in your endeavors,

Thoth-Amon

nijineko
07-21-2008, 06:35 PM
I've always argued that alcohol was often the better part of valour ;)

one could make an argument that the main reasons why humans fail is that they believe they can't do it. if so, i'm not sure why drunks still fail to succeed, considering that they definetly don't know that they can't do it. ;D

aboyd
07-27-2008, 07:22 AM
I've thought about having an age group category on the player registry for members who have decided to share their birth date information.
Yes please. I won't play with anyone under age 27 or so. If that makes me a bad man, then call me a villain, cause I ain't changing. Anything that helps me weed out the kids will be awesome.

There are only two things that are a bit of a hitch. A lot of members don't choose to share their age in the current options. If they aren't sharing their age, I don't want to display their age group either, for privacy reasons.
Yeah, make it opt in. Send a PM to everyone telling them of the new feature and how they can use it. If they chose not to, that's fine. From that point onward, make it part of the registration process. Over time it will become more & more useful.

Ben Rostoker
08-24-2008, 10:37 PM
While I understand the reasons for not wanting to play with someone who is younger then 122 in person if you are a teacher I can't understand the unchecked ageism that exists in the D&D community here. :(

I am 18 and am more mature then most of the older people I know. Your age isn't really any more of an indicator for maturity then your hair colour or favorite brand of toothpaste. If you are old enough to understand the responsibilities of being in a gaming group you are old enough to play.

Especially if you are dealing with playing online, there is NO reason to bar someone because they aren't old enough to drink or begin picking up retirement checks doesn't mean they won't be a welcome addition to a group.

I'm not talking about letting a 6 year old or 14 year old play a game, but if YOUR not mature enough to handle playing a game with someone who's 16+ then I frankly don't understand why anyone would want to play with you.

Would you bar a 70 year old from a game because he "must be too old to comprehend it and would probably forget the rules/find the rules too complicated anyways"?

For those of you who are worried about the whole parents thing it's understandable except that in many countries at 16 (sometimes even 14) your allowed to have sexual relations. Well if you can handle those then I think you can handle a RPG. Parents rarely care what a child plays on game consoles or what they watch on TV at that age so I doubt they'd care much about playing a game with like-minded peers. Yes peers and not children. At 16 your not even really a teenager anymore your a young adult; and at 18 your an adult according to most cultures and countries.

Frankly exclusion based on age is usually just as baseless as any other predigest.

One of the biggest reasons I have found for lack of maturity in youth is due to lack of knowledge and critical thinking because they are constantly shunned away from anything that could build said skills.

Where do you people think mature adults come from? Do they pop out of the ground or is it that the second you biologically turn 27 you suddenly morph your entire sou land being into a mature and contributing human being?

I expected better from a group of people who most likely themselves have been/are being unfairly judged by others (especially since this is over something you can not control).

Engar
08-24-2008, 11:29 PM
I agree on principle. The well written and qualified statement is itself support for the argument. Even though I am not now hosting the game I still need to stick to 21 for legal reasons since beer has been at a session or two.

While it is the right of a private club to discriminate and some situations are not suitable, I obviously see the merits as well. I see no reason (short of content at some ages) or even real means of enforcement for an online game.

I ran a brief online DnD game about a year ago and never even thought to ask about ages. Though I was not a teacher at that time, I would not hesitate to run one now (short of time atm) for any age group with at most a few language/content rules if it included kids. I guess 13 and under or something might need a faxed permission slip from a parent or guardian since that seems the standard or law for most open web content.

aboyd
08-25-2008, 12:24 AM
I can't understand the unchecked ageism that exists in the D&D community here. :(
I am ageist because it works. When I am ageist, I am surrounded by people of similar interest and place in life, and we are able to discuss commonalities.

Your age isn't really any more of an indicator for maturity then your hair colour or favorite brand of toothpaste.
Spoken like a teenager.

I'm not talking about letting a 6 year old or 14 year old play a game, but if YOUR not mature enough to handle playing a game with someone who's 16+ then I frankly don't understand why anyone would want to play with you.
GREAT. So all the kids reading this will stay the hell away then, right? Along with any sympathetic adults who think I'm mean because I won't be open-minded? GOOD.

Listen, you can take pot-shots at me and say things like "YOUR not mature enough" (LOL) but I am fine with it. I already said that I do not mind being the villain -- just get the hell off my front lawn. So SURE, FINE, I'm immature. Happy? Good? Remember my ID and avoid my games.

Would you bar a 70 year old from a game because he "must be too old to comprehend it and would probably forget the rules/find the rules too complicated anyways"?
No, but I bar 70 year-olds from my games because I want to spend any down-time in the game talking about house shopping, the best schools for our kids, my 401k, and a whole bunch of other crap that a 70 year-old is no longer interested in. In addition, if a 70 year-old in my game started talking about things that are interesting to people of that age, I would ask them to leave. I don't care about retirement, liver spots, the fact that only 15 people were still alive for the 50th school reunion, and so on. I'M NOT SYMPATHETIC.

So you might ask, WHY would a 70 year-old play in my game? They WOULDN'T. Just like you shouldn't.

And this is why we need ageism here as a selection when searching. Without it, you'll be matched with me -- something you don't want and I don't want. See how ageism will make us both happy?

Where do you people think mature adults come from?
They come from years of life experience, which is why years of age is a good indicator!

I expected better from a group of people who most likely themselves have been/are being unfairly judged by others (especially since this is over something you can not control).
The villain bows.

Ben Rostoker
08-25-2008, 05:48 AM
You do realize that Maturity is an abstract notion, right? It's definition changes depending on who you ask which is why to judge it based on age is foolish at best.

For example one might say to continue smoking after knowing the risks involved is immature of you because your putting short term pleasure above your health and the health and mental well being of those who care about you. Another might say it is immature to stop smoking just because you are scared of the risks and because others want you to.

Also age != maturity and experience. Are you telling me a sheltered and poorly home schooled 30 year old who still lives with his mother has more experience and maturity then a well read honour student who is in University top of his class at age 23? What about a 42 year old homeless drunk; is he more mature and more mature then a 16 year old?

Experience does not really mean to much in this regard either for having 'more' of it is not necessarily better, nor does it disposition you towards being mature or constructive in a game. If in my 27 years of experience people can't be trusted and you have to use physical violence and racist epithets to make yourself respected then I wouldn't be more mature or capable in a game then a polite 17 year old who has learned trust, responsibility, and sportsmanship.

Give me a your definition of mature and we will see if it truly relies on age. I'm thinking it won't unless you specifiably and unnecessarily put an actual age in your definition.

Maybe what you want isn't a filter more age but a filter for maturity as based on peer ratings on the forums based on previous encounters and games with someone. After a few votes on your maturity in the style of a 'yes or no' or out of ten you can actually use the filter as a reliable source of information.

By the way 'spoken like a teenager doesn't prove anything. It is just avoiding the point and not providing any claims or counters. Very immature of you.

aboyd
08-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Ben, what do you hope to accomplish by engaging with me?

Ben Rostoker
08-25-2008, 08:52 AM
I don't consider this an engagement; I consider this a debate. I hope to prove my point that age should not be a factor here.

aboyd
08-25-2008, 08:59 AM
You really think that forcing your way into a game run by people who don't want you there is going to be a good experience for you? Why do you want age to not be a factor? Do you think that's going to work out well for you? What do you imagine will happen when you sit down at my gaming table?

Ben Rostoker
08-25-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm not trying to force my way into your gaming table. I just would like there to be a legitimate reason for not wanting me there. Look at it from my perspective: if more people start to use age as a basis and I can't get into any games, how am I supposed to play? This is the best and only site I know for people who play RPGs to come together and learn and discuss and play. If I can't get a game here I can't get one anywhere. Wouldn't you feel discouraged from playing the game when no one will have you?

Besides it really feels disenfranchising to be told that you aren't wanted at a group/game for no other reason other then a number that you can't control.

This isn't about you or me; it's about the people who have come before and the people who will come after. If I remain silent somewhere down the line another 18 year old will have no say. It is more effective to fight injustices when they happen as opposed to years after the fact when the institutions are already set up.

mrken
08-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Allow me to insert my opinion here in between this discussion. Gaming tends to be a self selecting collection of like minded people. Since we are all different we tend to look for and find like minded individuals who congregate into small groups to engage in role play of one type or style or another. We self select all the time for all sorts of reasons. Some select along genre lines. Others separate according to locations. Others divide along the lines of age, gender, social status, professional status or even skin color. It doesn't have to be a conscious effort, but it will still happen in some games, perhaps in many games. Very few people will congregate into groups to do something they do not enjoy doing with people they do not enjoy doing it with. And very few gamers will congregate together to play in a game that is not in their interest. Personally, I don't discriminate withing gamers who look different or are a different age or have more money (or less), or are a different sex. But I do discriminate against those who live too far away, are mean, prefer a different game genre, smoke, do drugs, or drink alcohol. I have my preferences. So do you.

Ben Rostoker
08-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Allow me to insert my opinion here in between this discussion. Gaming tends to be a self selecting collection of like minded people. Since we are all different we tend to look for and find like minded individuals who congregate into small groups to engage in role play of one type or style or another. We self select all the time for all sorts of reasons. Some select along genre lines. Others separate according to locations. Others divide along the lines of age, gender, social status, professional status or even skin color. It doesn't have to be a conscious effort, but it will still happen in some games, perhaps in many games. Very few people will congregate into groups to do something they do not enjoy doing with people they do not enjoy doing it with. And very few gamers will congregate together to play in a game that is not in their interest. Personally, I don't discriminate withing gamers who look different or are a different age or have more money (or less), or are a different sex. But I do discriminate against those who live too far away, are mean, prefer a different game genre, smoke, do drugs, or drink alcohol. I have my preferences. So do you.

Alright, then ask for drugs to be added to the filters. Drugs and preferred gaming genres are choices. If someone wants to play all they have to do is change those choices. Age, gender, and physicalities are not and as such should not be added to the filters.

mrken
08-25-2008, 10:04 AM
I would say add no filters. Use the filter between your ears. Honestly, how long does it take for you to see who you like and dislike? I find it takes just a few posts from one to know if I would game with them or not. It really does not take much effort on your part, I would not trust a program to select who I can be friends with. I choose to be exposed to all of humanity so I can enjoy those I choose and know why I like them. Compare them to others and yourself, that is all the filter you should need. It has worked for thousands of years for billions of humans and can still work for you.

Ben Rostoker
08-25-2008, 10:26 AM
I would say add no filters. Use the filter between your ears. Honestly, how long does it take for you to see who you like and dislike? I find it takes just a few posts from one to know if I would game with them or not. It really does not take much effort on your part, I would not trust a program to select who I can be friends with. I choose to be exposed to all of humanity so I can enjoy those I choose and know why I like them. Compare them to others and yourself, that is all the filter you should need. It has worked for thousands of years for billions of humans and can still work for you.

Agreed and seconded.

aboyd
08-25-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm not trying to force my way into your gaming table. I just would like there to be a legitimate reason for not wanting me there.
But Ben, people don't need to give you reasons, much less ones you deem legitimate. People get to decide who comes into their homes, even if you object.

Look at it from my perspective: if more people start to use age as a basis and I can't get into any games, how am I supposed to play?
Do you actually think that the bulk of people here -- including people of your age -- will exclude your age group if such a feature becomes available? Is something that implausible really the crux of your argument?

This isn't about you or me; it's about the people who have come before and the people who will come after. If I remain silent somewhere down the line another 18 year old will have no say.
What? Ben, people are asking to be able to sort the search results by age. They're not asking that 18 year-olds "have no say." How are you equating those things?

aboyd
08-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Honestly, how long does it take for you to see who you like and dislike?
Longer than just pressing a button. I'd prefer the button.

I would not trust a program to select who I can be friends with.
So you don't use the game finder here on the site? I do. That's the tool I'm referring to when I ask for an age filter. If you're not even using it, why are you in this thread discussing new features for it?

I choose to be exposed to all of humanity so I can enjoy those I choose and know why I like them.
I don't.

aboyd
08-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Age, gender, and physicalities are not and as such should not be added to the filters.
So we'll just use the more inconvenient method of asking those questions via bulk email to all the people listed in our area. Same result, just more work for everyone on both sides.

Ben Rostoker
08-25-2008, 12:50 PM
People get to decide who comes into their homes, even if you object.

Who said anything about entering houses? I am talking about allowing people under the 'magical age of 27 or so' to play D&D without being looked down on and excluded from future participation in the D&D community. You can play D&D online or at a convention along with many other locations. No one said anything about entering your house. If you don't want someone in your house that's fine. But you specifically said you would not PLAY with someone under 27 or so.

What? Ben, people are asking to be able to sort the search results by age. They're not asking that 18 year-olds "have no say." How are you equating those things?

I meant that 18 year-olds would have no say in weather or not these forums have a age filter after the fact and so for them I would have to try to stop said filter today for they have no say. (For they are not yet here.)

What it comes down to is that you feel that I am inferior to you; correct? At the very least, that is how you come off.

Ben Rostoker
08-25-2008, 12:58 PM
So we'll just use the more inconvenient method of asking those questions via bulk email to all the people listed in our area. Same result, just more work for everyone on both sides.

While your at it would you like to filter for people in wheelchairs? Maybe by skin colour? Maybe by number and types of Diplomas earned? That would make things easier for a whole lot of people. You wouldn't have to worry about age, and racists wouldn't have to worry about African-Americans. Everyone would be able to live in their magical isolationist fantasy world. It would be faster then them just asking someone in person. In fact lets just clog the filter up with every variant conceivable so no one would even have to look at a person's name before deciding whether or not they'd want to know someone.

This is a RPG community first and matchmaker second if I understand this place correctly. If you want complex filters so you only ever meet your identical twin, try eHarmony.

mrken
08-25-2008, 05:48 PM
lol

Chi
08-25-2008, 08:37 PM

I don't really care how old you are if you want to play with me, you can. My Fiance thinks that is weird to play with people way older or younger than us.

aboyd
08-26-2008, 01:53 AM
Who said anything about entering houses?
This is just stupid. We're talking about the search engine and you have no idea that it can be used to find local games? Why are you offering an opinion if you're that uninformed?

What it comes down to is that you feel that I am inferior to you; correct?
Of course. So why do you insist on appearing in my search results? Has interacting with me been a positive, joyful experience that you'd like to repeat again and again?

Listen, Ben, an age based filter helps people like you to avoid people like me. This is a good thing. But if you are so blinded that you can't see how useful it is, then by all means, knock yourself out. Appear in every search result you can. If you want your life to be an endless repeat of this thread, that's your business.

mrken
08-26-2008, 07:44 AM
'adfj'aslgf'sdjfg'uwetpajd;askdt
[paw
et[m

Ben Rostoker
08-26-2008, 10:45 PM
This is just stupid. We're talking about the search engine and you have no idea that it can be used to find local games? Why are you offering an opinion if you're that uninformed?

Of course. So why do you insist on appearing in my search results? Has interacting with me been a positive, joyful experience that you'd like to repeat again and again?

Listen, Ben, an age based filter helps people like you to avoid people like me. This is a good thing. But if you are so blinded that you can't see how useful it is, then by all means, knock yourself out. Appear in every search result you can. If you want your life to be an endless repeat of this thread, that's your business.

Luckily as you are the only person I've come across on this site who is a bigoted 'villain' I am more then willing to continue to appear in as many searches that meet legitimate criteria as I can so that players in my area and myself can find one another.

Any other sentences of mine you wish to highlight and deride with witty banter that ignores the whole of my arguments?

aboyd
08-27-2008, 08:19 AM
Good luck to you Ben. Enjoy the site.

tesral
08-27-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm not trying to force my way into your gaming table. I just would like there to be a legitimate reason for not wanting me there. Look at it from my perspective: if more people start to use age as a basis and I can't get into any games, how am I supposed to play?

Ben, knock off 200 miles and get the TSA (Totally Stupid Asses) out from between the two of us and you have a game.

Heck, if you don't mind spending a tank of gas every other week and hassling with US Customs, you HAVE a game. I like the way you think kid.

No, age is not an indicator of maturity. In my years I have met some kids with a good head on their shoulders and more than a few 50 year olds with nothing between their ears.

That said I'm going to talk with the parents of any minor that wishes to join my game. We are a bunch of old fogies more or less.

Ben Rostoker
08-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Good luck to you Ben. Enjoy the site.

Thank you. I hope you also have fun here or wherever you may decide to play. Thank you for talking with me here.

Ben, knock off 200 miles and get the TSA (Totally Stupid Asses) out from between the two of us and you have a game.

Heck, if you don't mind spending a tank of gas every other week and hassling with US Customs, you HAVE a game. I like the way you think kid.

No, age is not an indicator of maturity. In my years I have met some kids with a good head on their shoulders and more than a few 50 year olds with nothing between their ears.

That said I'm going to talk with the parents of any minor that wishes to join my game. We are a bunch of old fogies more or less.

Thank you; I appreciate the kind words and invitation. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to get to you often enough to play but maybe some day things may change. If you ever play online I'd be glad to join you though.

rabkala
08-27-2008, 10:47 PM
I have played with many youngsters in my open games, and a few in my home games. I have no problem with it. I have met several people whose life experiences give them maturity beyond their age, and several who are immature despite their age.

I have had a few younger people who opted out of a game because I insisted on talking to their parent before letting them join a home game, but I would never discriminate based on age,sex,orientation,hair color, nationality,religion, etc.

At one time, I thought that gamers were the cream of the crop - above average types, but then we meet some who ruin the whole theory. So sad.

Ben Rostoker
08-27-2008, 10:55 PM
I have played with many youngsters in my open games, and a few in my home games. I have no problem with it. I have met several people whose life experiences give them maturity beyond their age, and several who are immature despite their age.

I have had a few younger people who opted out of a game because I insisted on talking to their parent before letting them join a home game, but I would never discriminate based on age,sex,orientation,hair color, nationality,religion, etc.

At one time, I thought that gamers were the cream of the crop - above average types, but then we meet some who ruin the whole theory. So sad.

I appreciate your support and completely agree. If I were below the age of consent I would have no problem with someone wanting to talk to my parents first. Although I can think of some nice gamers who had the misfortune of having Parents who think of D&D as the occult. :/

Anyways thanks for contributing to this thread.

Chi
08-27-2008, 10:58 PM
but I would never discriminate based on age,sex,orientation,hair color, nationality,religion, etc.

So then it is ok that my hair color changes monthly!

Farcaster
08-28-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm glad you guys dialed it back a little. It was getting a little too contentious on this thread. To throw in my thoughts, I think it is perfectly valid to pick and choose whom you bring into your gaming group, and age is a very valid factor. When you say,

Your age isn't really any more of an indicator for maturity then your hair colour or favorite brand of toothpaste.

That really isn't supported by facts. The fact is that the brain's capacity for making sound judgment is still developing beyond the teen years and all the way up until the mid-twenties. A person who is twenty and a person who is thirty are in completely different places both in life experiences and in cognitive maturity. If you're interested, here are a couple of articles I found in a quick search of the web that highlight this: http://ontheirlevel.org/whats-happening/maturation-of-the-teen-brain/ (http://ontheirlevel.org/whats-happening/maturation-of-the-teen-brain/) and http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-03/ehs-atb032808.php (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-03/ehs-atb032808.php).

This is certainly a valid criterion for deciding if you are going to bring someone into your group. This is especially true if, like me, your D&D group is in effect a circle of friends and not simply acquaintances that you happen to roleplay with. Now, personally, I don't exclude someone just because they happen to fall under the median age of my group. I meet and interview anyone who is potentially going to join my game. I do have limits though, in that I would not personally be comfortable having someone in my group who was under 18. At that point, I think the disparity is too great -- we're simply in completely different places in our lives. I donít think there is anything unreasonable about that.

rabkala
08-28-2008, 07:15 PM
So then it is ok that my hair color changes monthly!
You have my brand of approval.
It is quite hot if you can pull it off, your fiancee is a lucky guy.