PDA

View Full Version : I want my posts shielded from young people...

RivenNookRavenClaw
06-15-2008, 04:53 PM
You know...I thought I would never have another suggestion for this board. I really thought I would keep my both shut but I can't.

I want this. I am 34, I want nobody that reports their age to be less then 18 to EVER see any of my posts.

I am not interested in controlling my mouth so this can be a 'family oriented' board.

First I am liberal, and that means certain thinks when it comes to talking about anything.

I do not use profanity but darn gone it...I will feel free to talk about prismatic dildos if the thread calls for it.

The person that brought this up is 'Digital Arcanist'... I couldn't care less...he is a moderator, I am not. He has got skills I don't and he contributes something here I do not.

So, whatever...but I ain't recruiting children to my game and I ain't talking like an uneducated person to soothe the sore sensibilities of those with different world views from me.

Sorry...I have never roleplayed sex in ANY of my games for reasons of practicality but as best I know since I started playing this game we all talk about it when the game is actually among intimates and we curse how we wish, including the women.

Do I love it when women talk about old boyfriends and really get the hate on...

but apparently this is to be a child friendly environment and these incredibly bright children that play this game cannot be exposed to...

I am not sure. If they are on this board they are already exposed to just about every kind of mind filth not suitable for small children but...whatever.

Please make the code paste I suggest if at all possible, ASAP.

Farcaster
06-15-2008, 06:25 PM
As I posted in reply to your other post:

This is a public forum. Anyone can read what you write here without logging in at all. Now, as far as members go, we do require anyone registering to be at least 13 years old in compliance with COPPA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COPPA). At this point though, we are not requiring members to be at least 18 to register. Nor do I think it is too much to ask that members conduct themselves with a modicum of self-control when posting here. First, it promotes an atmosphere of respect and second it just isn't needed to get your point across.

Now, I'm not actually concerned if someone uses something fairly benign like "shit roll." It is a miscommunication on my part with the moderators if anyone thinks that is on my radar. However, it is a fine line. If your not sure if something is appropriate or not, just don't use it and find another way to express yourself. If you feel that you can't control yourself, then perhaps this isn't the right forum for you.

mrken
06-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Why would you think the forum should conform to what you want? Since this is not your car or house why would you think you can tell the driver where to go, how fast to drive or by what route he should take? Or, why would you make the rules for what goes on in the house?

I understand you have the right to make any suggestion you feel would be best for the forum, but only at the discretion of the forum moderators. What would make you comfortable looks like it might make others uncomfortable. Back in the days when I studied what rights we as individual have I saw a drawing of a guy in a small boat sitting out on the water fishing. In the distance one could see another guy in a large boat bearing down on the first man without concern for the first mans rights. The discussion about this drawing centered around each man's rights and who had what rights. The outcome of the vigorous discussion (that's right, as incredible as this may sound, some people thought the second man had every right to drive his boat over the first man) was no one has the right to deny another of their rights. Or, I have every right to swing my fist at you but my right to swing my fist ends at your nose. You have the right to request a change, but you don't have the right to make the everyone else change. If you want the right to be among others you need to consider their rights just as much as your own. It's like that whenever you are among other people. Either that or be shunned.

Now you have the right to hate me or understand me, or debate me if you so choose. I will then have the right to respond or ignore you. That choice will be made by how you respond to me. We could become good friends or bitter enemies. Your turn.

cplmac
06-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Gee, it seemed like Jonathan was going to be much more mellow this time around. I wonder what happened? From a previous post of his, I read there were some family medical problems. Hopefully, something hasn't taken a turn for the worse.

RivenNookRavenClaw
06-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Gee, it seemed like Jonathan was going to be much more mellow this time around. I wonder what happened? From a previous post of his, I read there were some family medical problems. Hopefully, something hasn't taken a turn for the worse.

I don't want to get too far into this...but...you have to understand when I was part of the department of education the hardest thing for me was to turn a semi-blind eye to the sexual exploitation of young people by older people using MySpace.

There I have said it. (I am cringing in my chair sitting in B&N in Union Square.

I am not kidding. I suppose it must be fantastic to be a teenage boy and have your female teachers teach you sex, but I cannot abide men of 38 sleeping with 16 year olds.

So, you all here is why I said what I said. I want children, I love children, I have taught children...

it is up to all of you. I am just saying here is why children should not read what I have to say...

I am no Piers Anthony...I think some of what I have to say is way too adult for young eyes to read. I think on some days I am so angry at adults that children should be spared the things I have to say.

But...whatever...it wasn't about anybody in particular on this board. I have yet to see the sort of behaviour I am talking about but then...we are only 4,000 aren't we?

Just wait until some of the over gaming community starts to join us.

PEACE...really may you have had a great father's day yesterday...I had a terrible one. It involved helping my father by letting him scream at me and shake his fist in my face...he needed to...let me not go there...Okay?:(

mrken
06-16-2008, 12:38 PM
PEACE...really may you have had a great father's day yesterday...I had a terrible one. It involved helping my father by letting him scream at me and shake his fist in my face...he needed to...let me not go there...Okay?:(

Peace. Know you need it. I have been where you are and know how you seek it. I left home and the state. Found peace.

spotlight
06-16-2008, 06:03 PM
WOW, Claw, I can truely understand your position. There are sites out there that can and do cater to older thoughts. But, like Farcaster said, THIS is a public forum. And so it stands.

An idea though, if you have something to say to some one that might be inaprropriate to the younger ears (or eyes), you could always PM that note to whoever you did want to see it. Problem solved?

RivenNookRavenClaw
06-16-2008, 08:27 PM
I never had a problem for myself...not really...this is a very disciplined site...I worry about the future. I have so little to do these days, compared to how I used to work that I worry for other people. I worry for those younger then me.

It is just the way I am. I have nothing super adult to say or super secret I just do not like some of the things I see right in front of me every day. Without the constant demands of work, schedule, teaching and providing for my students I grow...I am not sure how to say this but concerned. I do not like some of the things I see happening to my city, New York City.

There were always problems. I have lived here all my life and I am no innocent but some days my heart bleeds for strangers that I see in Starbucks or on the streets and I just grow worried...

That's all. Its no dig deal, don't sweat it. I just want people to grow up without predators lurking in the underbush wanting to sweep them off their feet into adult madness before letting young people find their own madness.

For instance, when I was twelve me and my friend Peter thought it would be the coolest thing to use an iron rebar to pop up all the cobblestones in a public part. WHY, I have no idea but it was the fun of youth not the fun of adults forced onto young people in the name of the young people best interest.

Farcaster
06-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Perhaps I fail to understand the connection. The fact that you don't want to moderate the way you talk so that it is "family friendly" is because you are concerned about young people? The answer is pure and simple. Talk as you would if you were in a public place. Obviously this isn't a locker room and it isn't the place for that kind of talk. This isn't church either, so we're not that uptight. We don't need to code a way for younger members to only see posts by other younger members when we can solve the problem simply by dealing directly with anyone who violates our forum policies.

Skunkape
06-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Perhaps I fail to understand the connection. The fact that you don't want to moderate the way you talk so that it is "family friendly" is because you are concerned about young people? The answer is pure and simple. Talk as you would if you were in a public place. Obviously this isn't a locker room and it isn't the place for that kind of talk. This isn't church either, so we're not that uptight. We don't need to code a way for younger members to only see posts by other younger members when we can solve the problem simply by dealing directly with anyone who violates our forum policies.

That's what I see is the right way to handle things here Farcaster! Not that you needed me to say that, just agreeing with you.

RivenNookRavenClaw
06-17-2008, 04:28 PM

I am not going to argue this...period.

The connection is social networking software and the abuses it has been put to. If you have not experienced them if you don't know young people exploited by software then you don't and forget about it.

It causes my stomach to knot to have this discussion publically...there are people I am responsible to...people's whose secrets I have shared and have been systematically exploited by MySpace and other social networking software.

There are roleplaying games I have found through social networking software, including this one...

It boils down to this...without the visual ability to see somebody all social networking allows deceit to become easier.

You will never control the discourse once your board crosses a certain threshold. That point is called "The Tipping Point", there is a book on this mathematical concept...eventually all you code...any word recognition software and everything at the disposal of your brilliant mind, and that ain't a joke, will fall apart in the face of those that wish to exploit your site.

That's the end of the matter for me. I am convinced of it.

We are only 4,000...this is nothing and at this point we are a tribe. A tribe in which many of us post little or not at all.

This size group does well with the moderator format...once your number of active participants and player registry goes up what will have is inevitable.

You love gaming, this is obvious, you love roleplaying this too is clear. Why then have you not met the gaming groups I have. Why haven't you seen what I have seen when I have not been a participant of any of it?

Perhaps that is it. I was always shifting from school to school, always having to learn and start anew and this means with new gaming groups and my family and I myself could never justify going to conventions.

So there you have it Farcaster...I have said my peace. It is a statistical certainity that without further controls being developed by you or researched...meaning you and your team would have to consult the open source libraries this wonderful place will go to the dogs.

We are just not an appetizing piece of meat yet compared to all the other roleplaying network sites.

That said look at who is posting here, look at the ages, look at the knowledge...I think it is more then far to say all of us will only do what we want to in the end anyway. It is just I would never let my children use this site if I ever had any.

I don't care how many moderators you get...no child of mine even a 16 year old will meet a roleplaying game group in this way. I'd use it to find other parent players and from their facilitate my child finding a group.

That's the kind of parent I intend to be, the end...

PEACE.

Farcaster
06-17-2008, 05:12 PM
I am not interested in controlling my mouth so this can be a 'family oriented' board...I will feel free to talk about prismatic dildos if the thread calls for it.

Your request was to have people under 18 prevented from reading your posts for the above stated reason. That isn't going to happen. Because even if we did that, I don't want to read vulgarity on the boards either. Many people access this site from work. So, keep in mind that this needs to be a work-friendly site as well. Again, if you can't handle that, I'm sure there are boards out there that are more oriented towards uncensored strings of profanity and adult oriented topics. This isn't one of those.

:closed: