PDA

View Full Version : Reign RPG

boulet
06-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Has anyone played or owned this game ? I read very positive stuff about it, but considering the price of the hardcover I'd rather check more opinions.

gdmcbride
06-03-2008, 10:16 PM
I own it though I have not yet played it.

It is a very interesting read and full of very interesting concepts. Though a complete roleplaying game on its own, you could easily steal the core idea of 'the company' and adapt to most rpgs. What 'Reign' does that is remarkable is that it breaks one of the central tenets of RPGs -- they are about the character. Instead, 'Reign' is about the group.

Yes, you can have individual adventures outside of the company. But personal success will only get you so far. To truly 'Reign' successfully, the group must prosper. A great hero who saves the day but neglects his kingdom/company/army/whatever is a great hero to nobody.

The good -- the company system will have you swimming with ideas. It's also a very attractive and compellingly written RPG.

The bad -- the author chose to include a very complex world background along with that system. Sometimes, while pushing through pages and pages of history of the so and so empire, it all gets a bit much. I realize, they are all examples of what 'Reign' can do, but couldn't we have gotten some simpler examples?

Also, the author has a lot to tell you and so sometimes I feel like reading this book is like drinking from a fire hose.

Still, overall a solid acquisition. I definitely plan to do something with it.

Gary

boulet
06-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Well, your answer confirms a little more my good feelings about Reign. You say that the world setting could be presented better, but personally I'm looking for a game system... The articulation between groups and characters is really what seduced me in the reviews I've read before. It sounds very exciting.

Now I still have at least one question for you. I've read the claim that ORE which Reign derives from, is simple and fast, even when it comes to combat. I know you haven't played it yet but what is your impression about this claim ?

Valdar
06-06-2008, 01:36 PM
This sounds interesting- Is there a good site to find out about it?

gdmcbride
06-07-2008, 03:06 AM
A good site to find out everything about Reign.

http://www.gregstolze.com/reign/index.html

It also contains some links to reviews of ORE (One Roll Engine) that go considerably more in depth than I care to.

Though I haven't played Reign, I have played ORE (which has appeared in a number of other RPGs). It is a fine little RPG system (though it has a little funkiness).

For me, ORE was the least attractive thing about Reign. And it wasn't that unattractive.

Gary