PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun?

Frost
05-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Does anyone play this anymore? I know its like on its 4th edition but I started playing when it first started (talk about confusing rules) I would be interested in playing again (gotta get new rules) maybe run a pbp game

MortonStromgal
05-30-2008, 12:20 PM
I started with 2e and I am toying with 4e right now. I'm not into non face to face games though

Freejack
05-30-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm running it. It seems to be pretty popular.

Carl

Freejack
05-30-2008, 10:37 PM
In fact, I haven't posted this over here yet but:

http://www.shadowrun.us/meetup/20080525/0525081556-800.jpg

This is the game I ran last Sunday. The interaction between the parts of the investigation was drawn out so they could figure out what to do next :)

Carl

Freejack
05-30-2008, 10:42 PM
And here's my new screen. I made one jeeze, almost 30 years ago that was D&D specific with tables and tidbits. I decided that since I was running Shadowrun, I should probably come up with something different. Especially since I was using a laptop now.

http://shadowrun.us/meetup/20080525/0525081557-800.jpg

Stepping back from the game, it's my dice rolling box on the left, a special setup so the laptop is easily accessible and I can put papers under the laptop, and a dice dispenser on the right.

http://shadowrun.us/meetup/20080525/0525081558-801.jpg

And here I am with the front of the screen. Since it was a camera phone, we didn't know whether my head was going to be cut off so I scrunched down a little. I'm still painting the front of course :)

Carl

agoraderek
06-01-2008, 06:18 PM
nice rig! shadowrun is worth that effort, imo. great setting, great fun :)

Freejack
06-08-2008, 07:52 PM
More painting on the screen. Now I just have to do some detailing.

http://shadowrun.us/meetup/20080608/dscn9880x600.jpg

And a shot of today's game. The plot gets thicker and thicker.

http://shadowrun.us/meetup/20080608/0608081345-800.jpg

Carl

Skunkape
06-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Wow, sweet GM screen!!!:D

amardolem
06-09-2008, 11:30 AM
I've heard the name bandied about..is it modern? Sci Fi? :confused:

Freejack
06-09-2008, 07:52 PM
I've heard the name bandied about..is it modern? Sci Fi? :confused:

Basically it's fantasy cyberpunk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun

Carl

Webhead
06-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Basically it's fantasy cyberpunk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun

Carl

Yeah. Cross Cyberpunk with a splash of D&D to mix things up and you get Shadowrun. Very cool setting. I think it would have gone over better with my group and I had we had an experienced Shadowrun GM though. I tried running 3rd edition and it became a bit overwhelming. I still wish I could have made it work. I had some cool adventure ideas.

Freejack
06-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Yeah. Cross Cyberpunk with a splash of D&D to mix things up and you get Shadowrun. Very cool setting. I think it would have gone over better with my group and I had we had an experienced Shadowrun GM though. I tried running 3rd edition and it became a bit overwhelming. I still wish I could have made it work. I had some cool adventure ideas.

I'm pretty experienced in being a DM (many years of DND) and ran a few non-DND games. I played Shadowrun 3rd for a few months and then when I started to run 4th, I had a group that consisted of newb's and one guy who had GM'd it but stopped because he couldn't get his head wrapped around the magic part so he was and still is a big help. I'm working on a mage cheat sheet (http://www.shadowrun.us/sr4/mage) and he's created a mage in part using my sheet. That should help him get a better understanding so he can start running it again.

Carl

Vulture
06-10-2008, 12:29 PM
wow i still have my 2nd ed rule book, sitting on the bookshelf next to my Vampire: the Masquerade and Warmachine rulebooks

Freejack
06-10-2008, 03:21 PM
wow i still have my 2nd ed rule book, sitting on the bookshelf next to my Vampire: the Masquerade and Warmachine rulebooks

I started at 1st Edition so I still have my 1st Ed book along with my 2nd Edition, both hardback and paperback. Early last year is when I got back into gaming with Shadowrun and I started filling my collection up with the rest of the books so now I have (maybe) all of the books for all four editions. All four printings of the Street Samurai Catalog. The 3rd Edition BBB and the 4th Edition BBB. I think I'm still missing a couple of books but I'm not 100% sure.

My Shadowrun Inventory (http://www.shadowrun.us/php/listing.php) :D

Carl

agoraderek
06-11-2008, 11:38 PM

too bad you're not a little closer to my neck of the woods. i've run shadowrun games since 1st ed came out. i'd love to run another...

agoraderek
06-11-2008, 11:41 PM
I started at 1st Edition so I still have my 1st Ed book along with my 2nd Edition, both hardback and paperback. Early last year is when I got back into gaming with Shadowrun and I started filling my collection up with the rest of the books so now I have (maybe) all of the books for all four editions. All four printings of the Street Samurai Catalog. The 3rd Edition BBB and the 4th Edition BBB. I think I'm still missing a couple of books but I'm not 100% sure.

My Shadowrun Inventory (http://www.shadowrun.us/php/listing.php) :D

Carl

and why are you in COLORADO??? dude, i'd love to sit in on one of your games, heck, just that screen lets me know you're serious! man, i miss my street samurai, ginsu, and his .1 essence... god, he was psycho...

[edit] dude, looking over your list: queen euphoria gave my players FITS!!! god, they hated bugs...

Freejack
06-12-2008, 07:24 AM
and why are you in COLORADO??? dude, i'd love to sit in on one of your games, heck, just that screen lets me know you're serious! man, i miss my street samurai, ginsu, and his .1 essence... god, he was psycho...

[edit] dude, looking over your list: queen euphoria gave my players FITS!!! god, they hated bugs...

Heck, you're only a day's ride from me. Come on up :D

I am only running 4th edition right now. I ran 1st and 2nd way back and was considering 3rd but there was so much out there for it and there are folks in the area who want to play 4th that I went with that.

I'm still working the bugs out of my sessions (still working on the hacking part) but it's getting a lot better. The main problem is my use of NPC's effectively. I'm learning too though.

Carl

Webhead
06-12-2008, 09:32 AM
too bad you're not a little closer to my neck of the woods. i've run shadowrun games since 1st ed came out. i'd love to run another...

I've given thought to running a Shadowrun campaign using an alternate game system because I liked the setting a lot. Like many of my campaign musings of late, I think it would really do well with Wushu. The problem is getting my group to play Wushu as a couple of them (one in particular) take a very hands-off opinion of rules-lite games. So, my Shadowrun, Star Wars: Clone Wars, and Avatar campaign ideas will probably never see the light of day. Oh well, they wouldn't be the first...

agoraderek
06-15-2008, 12:29 AM
I've given thought to running a Shadowrun campaign using an alternate game system because I liked the setting a lot. Like many of my campaign musings of late, I think it would really do well with Wushu. The problem is getting my group to play Wushu as a couple of them (one in particular) take a very hands-off opinion of rules-lite games. So, my Shadowrun, Star Wars: Clone Wars, and Avatar campaign ideas will probably never see the light of day. Oh well, they wouldn't be the first...

where is rowlett? near dallas?

Igbutton
06-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Rowlett is NW of Dallas yes.

I've always loved the Shadowrun setting, but the combat always just seem to drag the game out. There's just so much you can do.

agoraderek
06-16-2008, 12:44 AM

I've always loved the Shadowrun setting, but the combat always just seem to drag the game out. There's just so much you can do.

i think i need to move back to dallas, too many active posters there, i think im the only one from houston active on these boards...

macleod76
06-16-2008, 09:05 AM

done right, combat is no worse than any other game system....... well atleast 2ed wasn't too bad..... it also comes down to having a group willing to keep the pace of a game going (yeah, I had em well trained):D

Igbutton
06-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Yeah a lot of the time spent in combat was trying to learn the new system. And since one unlucky roll can easily get you killed no one wanted to make any wrong moves that might give rise to a "save or die" situation. So lots of reading and re-reading and careful thought slowed us down. In the end most of the group didn't want to invest the time to learn the ins and outs. But the world had me hooked, I can just never seem to find a group that wants to play.

Freejack
06-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Yeah a lot of the time spent in combat was trying to learn the new system. And since one unlucky roll can easily get you killed no one wanted to make any wrong moves that might give rise to a "save or die" situation. So lots of reading and re-reading and careful thought slowed us down. In the end most of the group didn't want to invest the time to learn the ins and outs. But the world had me hooked, I can just never seem to find a group that wants to play.

I used the cheat sheets to manage combat. It still wasn't speedy but they helped a lot. At the beginning, I just hand waved some interaction to move things along. Once the group was hooked in the adventure, I took time to fully understand and then bring the group into each of the branches; combat, magic, and next is matrix work.

Carl

Webhead
06-16-2008, 08:18 PM
where is rowlett? near dallas?

Yes. I'm about 30 minutes East/Northeast of Dallas.

warlock
06-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Honestly, Shadowrun is my favorite setting of them all. Ive been playing since 2e came out, and its just great fun. Im running a game in two weeks thats been going on for a couple of years.

Combat isnt all that bad, it all depends on how many "advanced" rules you want to delve into. We dont get too crazy with it, and run it fast and loose, and it works pretty well. Not that your average thug has ANY chance against a shadowrunner anyway :P

agoraderek
06-17-2008, 10:49 PM
yeah, i had a street samurai, ginsu, .1 essence, totally psycho. great in a fight, but i kind of played him like tommy from goodfellas. wouldnt hurt his friends, but peripheral people were always a remark, a bit fork, a lack of using a turn signal away from some serious damage...

MortonStromgal
07-23-2008, 12:52 PM
What I always loved about playing/running Shadowrun was the moral questions that would eventually come up. Would you kill a teammate if it means you get a paycheck? a loved one lives? you live? How far are you willing to go for revenge? What makes a hero or a villain? What means more to you than money? The best campaigns always ended with a cause that meant more than a penthouse.

michaeljearley
07-23-2008, 05:08 PM
I'll always love D&D, but ShadowRun is the greats.

Nice Screen too, that set up is awesome.

Best Shadow Run game.

My team completes a mission. Standard 4 hours of prepping, 1 hour of running.
We get away. Our Troll had a house in the Redlands(right place?, the generally lawless area just outside of Seattle). It had a nice barn, and was really set up with defense (including self-destruct and Reinforced walls).
Only we don't get away, a spirit was following us and the mage didn't catch it. Next thing I know, Lonestar is all over our house and we're pinned down.
One of the guys calls a fixer contact he has, who happens to be a runner in the other game the GM runs. GM makes him call on the RL cellphone.
Other friend answers, says he'll see what he can whip up.
Fast Foward 30 min. A second team shows up. GM now has my group in the living room, pinned down by popo. He has the second group in the kitchen staging a rescue.
Long story short, we escape by blowing the house (killing a ton of security) and the second team pulls our buts out of the fire.

Greatest part, the previous mission, we were contracted by Lonestar's rival, so we had a TON of gear in the basement with their logo on it. Lonestar digs up the house, and the heat is off us cause they think it was a recuitment center for the rival security firm.

Priceless.

catateface
09-01-2008, 12:13 AM
[quote=michaeljearley;39385]I'll always love D&D, but ShadowRun is the greats.

+1 brotherman, +1.

Freejack
09-01-2008, 08:12 AM

I've taken the cheat sheets and created some javascript apps which really sped things along in yesterdays game. Check them out at http://www.shadowrun.us/sr4/cheat

They're not all done yet (they're noted) but we used the melee and ranged combat pretty extensively and even the spellcasting one a couple of times.

Also, I created a top/bottom for my screen which turned it into:

http://shadowrun.us/meetup/20080830/HPIM0142x800.jpg

So it's a carrying case as well. I pack the screen components as well as dice, pen and pencils, wipes, zombies, and a few other small things. My backpack carries the notebook and laptop.

And if you do try the javascript stuff, let me know what you think :)

Carl

Webhead
09-09-2008, 11:22 AM
...Not that your average thug has ANY chance against a shadowrunner anyway :P

That's actually one of the things I liked about Cyberpunk 2020. Your PC could be very skilled, but a streetpunk with a knife can still cripple you if he gets a good shot in. Getting stabbed is still a very bad thing no matter how many "XP" you have. And if he pulls out a gun, find cover...quick! :)

Cyberpunk can be min/maxed though, just like Shadowrun, I just try to discourage it as a GM. In the last Shadowrun game I attempted to run, one PC played a troll with near max stamina, full body armor and carrying a shoulder cannon. He was taking shotgun blasts at point blank range and not flinching. :rolleyes:

praksis
09-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Cyberpunk can be min/maxed though, just like Shadowrun, I just try to discourage it as a GM. In the last Shadowrun game I attempted to run, one PC played a troll with near max stamina, full body armor and carrying a shoulder cannon. He was taking shotgun blasts at point blank range and not flinching. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was guilty of that once in SR 2nd long ago. When bioware was limited by your body score, not essence, sick & wrong things were possible. Took a missile and absolutely horrible resist rolls (well over 10 dice twice with no successes on a 5 dc) on my part to take him down...everything else was just ignored (replace shotguns with panther cannons and you get the right image)

That being said, while it is nothing like cyberpunk, SR is no where near as bad as it once was for creating sick & wrong.