PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone...

Moritz
10-14-2006, 10:39 AM
...happen to run this game (M&M) and are looking for players (D/FW)? I hate to see a good board be silent sans the bot.

Moritz

Tipop
12-02-2006, 09:53 AM
I just started a game, but I'm in central California, sorry. You can read about it here (http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?t=20741).

spotlight
12-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Hey, Tipop, I just read your game story. You seem to run your games much as I do. However, I usually keep two or three story threads in mind. That is, I know what the players need to do, or rather, the characters, and let them pretty much write their on story line. As an example, in one champaigne I ran several years ago, a speedster character decided to run down the toll road. She had no change in her pocket and so just ran thru the gates at top speed (about 80mph), It took the cops chasing her and ticketing her to bring her back to join the groups chosen direction, but it took much longer for her (the character) to be taken seriosly by the group.
Now I have never used the M&M system, only HeroGames Champions. I am quite willing to learn other formats if it will attract players to my champaigne. Check out 'Play By Post' on this site, I am about to get at least one story line started.

Digital Arcanist
08-28-2007, 05:16 PM
I play Mutants and Masterminds, Cinematic G.U.R.P.S., and Hero System's Champions. I've been playing these games for a few years now.

PhishStyx
08-28-2007, 06:35 PM
I tried M&M once but didn't like it a lot. Apparently as I'm told by others, this must be due to my GM's various insane control freaking problems and my own obvious ignorance of the wonders of D20/OGL.

Digital Arcanist
08-29-2007, 12:28 AM
Mutants and Masterminds takes some getting used to. Most people think it will be easy because you need only one d20 but it has some complicated rules.

A lot of people complain about the excessive math used in Champions, but that is by far my favorite system to use. The power creation system is limitless in the powers and effects you can create. I think the rules are pretty simple as well. I think the only problem is that you need so many d6's. I suggest getting a brick or two of them. My local shop sells the bricks for under 4 bucks so its comparable to buying one nicer set of polyhedron dice.

As a GM I like to adhere strictly to the rules. I like to exercise a few optional rules but only for the sake of realism of actions and effects. I think its the drawback of being an engineer and physicist. Things must act according to the laws of the universe....especially if you are not in a fantasy setting. This also helps to keep my control freak tendencies to a minimum as well as put all the players on equal footing. When everyone plays by the book then I can't be accused of favoring any PC or NPC.

Skunkape
08-29-2007, 07:00 AM
I think the only problem is that you need so many d6's.

Ah but the sheer pleasure of throwing all those d6's as a GM just gets me going!

I always loved it when I had a major villain attack the PCs and the looks they gave me as I started counting out d6's! Ah, heaven!:D

Moritz
08-29-2007, 09:06 AM
Counting, math, 3 hours to run a 30 second battle... no thanks. :)

Digital Arcanist
08-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Battles become tedious if you let them. With new players things will take time but my group was relatively experienced and battles took no more time than a battle in any other system.

One of my players, in an early campaign, had an autistic son who had the rain man ability. Every time you would throw out a handful of dice he could count the pips automatically. He was a cool little guy who's autism wasn't that severe from my limited understanding of the disorder/disease. We never had to count or do the math, which was somehow wrong/ironic seeing how we were a collection of engineers and mathematicians. I miss that little guy, he had a wicked sense of humor.

I use a random number generator applet nowadays. It helps to speed things up and it has a graphic of rolling dice and some dice sounds to, supposedly, draw you into the experience.

PhishStyx
08-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Counting, math, 3 hours to run a 30 second battle... no thanks. :)

I have played 2 completely separate games with different very experienced GM's (they were in different towns) using Hero rules, and both games were exactly like that. Measuring inches, math, more math, endless HOURS of MATH, fractions and yet MORE math.

At least, the second game session was fun because the players sat around joking and laughing while the GM was doing the math that none of us understood for us. After that game, my friend, Ron, said to me, "you were right, that game DOES suck!" Why did he say that? Because it took him more than a half hour to convince me to play it.

Last year, another friend (a guy named Ed) bought the books and insisted that I buy them too and learn Hero for him to GM it, so that I could know the rules that he was going to be ignoring as he GM'd. He got pretty pissed off when I refused to sink $50 or $70 or whatever Hero costs into a game that I knew he'd just abandon in a few months as "too hard."

So no, I have no love for Hero whatsoever.

Moritz
08-29-2007, 04:26 PM
I use a random number generator applet nowadays. It helps to speed things up and it has a graphic of rolling dice and some dice sounds to, supposedly, draw you into the experience.

I have this amazing champions dice program that tells you stun, body, killing, non killing, nnd, etc. Love it. But my players and/or GM hated it because it was automated and people didn't believe it was random.

Digital Arcanist
08-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Well to be fair, nothing computer generated is truly random. We would need quantum computers with trinary number capabilities. A code monkey could write code to generate more high rolls than low but unless you are adept at computer programming an applet is random enough.

A good mathematician, in time, can find the pattern and accurately predict the rolls and make actions accordingly. If you need to cheat that badly while role-playing, there are much simpler and easier ways to cheat. I, myself, like to use weighted dice if my GM or another player is giving me a hard time. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire and nothing wipes the smirk off a GM's face like rolling three natural 20's and auto-killing his favored monstrous creation in the first round.

fmitchell
08-29-2007, 04:46 PM
Never played M&M, although I have the rulebook. (Unread. Fancy that.)

Played a boatload of Champions in college, and, yeah, between counting out phases based on speed and the math of advanced power frameworks it tends to bore me. (Imagine an entire session of gadgeteers configuring their power pools. And that campaign ended when a player figured out how to use all the Applied Phlebotinum from previous adventures to make cross-dimensional travel impossible, thus ending the premise of the campaign.)

I've also played a small game called Truth and Justice, which has a more freeform way of constructing powers, and uses exactly 2d6 for everything. A lot depends on the GM and players agreeing on what are and are not valid uses of powers, and damage is kind of abstract, but combats themselves go fast.

Moritz
08-29-2007, 04:51 PM
Marvel Super Heroes baby, Marvel Super Heroes.

PhishStyx
08-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Marvel Super Heroes baby, Marvel Super Heroes.

I do love some "Ye Olde Skoole" Marvel Super Heroes.

The same Ed that I mentioned above got me into MSH, and I've loved that ever since.

Digital Arcanist
08-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Wow...so much negative feedback on the combat system. Have you guys written to Steven Long about it? I imagine he would like to hear your thoughts. Personally I like the combat system and never have had the bad experiences you guys seem to have.

I see where a lot of gadgeteers would drag things out, but there are ways to speed combat up. I experience the same problems when I play with wizards, noobs and veterans alike. There is always that one guy who never picks his spells when he is supposed to or just takes forever to do it. My personal pet peeve is the guy who picks abstract spells and then takes forever to find and explain their mechanics and effects. I think if you learn a spell in the game then you should learn the spell as a player as well.

As far as play styles, I guess I'm the odd duck here. I enjoy it the most, when a group plays exactly as the rule book states. I find it to be the most challenging and most rewarding when a player can be totally creative while working inside a strict set of parameters.

Moritz
08-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Yeah, if I recall correctly, I played Marvel from 86-92. Then Champions from 92-04. It was the only system my local group would use for superheroic gaming. After them, I bought M&M, found it a little cumbersome, and then fell back in with Marvel Super Heroes RPG.

PhishStyx
08-29-2007, 05:18 PM
My last supers game system was the Silver Age Sentinels version of Tri-Stat. When Guardians of Order went out of business, I pretty much just put my supers game world away and haven't looked at it since.

Have you guys written to Steven Long about it? I imagine he would like to hear your thoughts.

Why?

I'm not sure what I could say that he hasn't heard a hundred times before.

Digital Arcanist
08-29-2007, 05:26 PM
The squeaky wheel gets the grease my aquatic friend.

I met Steven at DunDraCon '06 and he is a pretty cool guy who thrives on both negative and positive feedback. He just wants to know that people are still playing his games.

ajmuszkiewicz
08-29-2007, 07:02 PM
I love MnM. I've run several MnM games (1st and 2nd edition), and I have loved every minute of it. 2nd edition took some getting used to (especially the major redesign on powers), but once you got it under your belt (and realized that yes, you can in fact build pretty much any power you want relatively inexpensively), the game runs quickly and smoothly.

And Moritz, I too am a long-time MSH fan. In fact, I think my most memorable supers game I ever ran was my second-to-last MSH game. Great players, simple system, awful character generation, making up everything as I went along = great time.

Moritz
08-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Just tossing in two links for all you classic Marvel Super Heroes RPG lovers:

http://www.classicmarvel.com/
http://zap.to/zans (click the pull down menu and find classic marvel topic)

PhishStyx
08-30-2007, 01:17 PM
In fact, I have a friend who runs a revamped versions of the Marvel rules with a home-spun setting called the Jameson City Saga. He has a bunch of stuff online, but unfortunately, I don't have a handy link at the moment.

Mitchbrock
10-11-2007, 03:24 PM
My table is trying M&M for the first time. We are using the DC Universe as the setting. We are all fans of the Justice League Unlimited cartoons so we are starting the campaign on the premise that each player character has received an invitation to join the League.

My players created original superheroes and gave me an outline of their backgrounds. They asked me to make the outlines into their origin story. Here are three of them.

Ape-X
http://mygametable.blogspot.com/2007_08_01_archive.html#4241836156713261518

The Gryphon
http://mygametable.blogspot.com/2007_08_01_archive.html#44829768960763233

Concrete
http://mygametable.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.html#4786457576902159570

I hope to play soon and let you know how it went.

Glistam
01-23-2008, 02:40 PM
I absolutely love the freedom to create that M&M gives a character. I've had no trouble creating any power concept. In fact, the closest thing to a problem arises when there becomes several ways to represent the same thing. But later suppliments have helped curb that. M&M is my new favorite super hero game system, and I've had no issues with combat. I haven't found it to take signifigantly longer that any other game I've played before.

kipling
02-19-2008, 11:02 AM
See, I played Champions for years, but with 5th edition it just got too complex for what it was modeling (for me). Now I'm a Mutants & Masterminds child. Ah, if only there were a game nearby...

Thayan
02-22-2008, 05:09 PM
I dont play MnM Too much but I am a big fan of What Steven Kenson did with d20. I have gotten a chance on 2 occasions to interview Mr. Kenson and talk with him about MnM and I learned alot about it and have become an even bigger fan of the system.

nijineko
02-23-2008, 04:23 AM
i would like to learn m&m very much. anyone up for a very late night/morning (est) game online to teach someone eager to learn?

Thayan
02-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Well IM not a huge knowledge of info BUt I do know some... I can be found on skype most anytime (Even if it says Im offline I can be called) I work until 11:30pm CST every night. So if you have questions feel free to give me a SKYPE

nijineko
02-23-2008, 11:44 PM
my weekend is coming up, i'll keep that in mind. ^^

first, i'd better actually sit down and read the rules.

Citadel
02-24-2008, 10:19 AM
It's nice to see so many people interested in MnM. I am a huge fan of the system, and yes I do like all aspects of the game. In my opinion i's probly the best supers game out there besides Hero Games, but without all the math. with this much intrest I hope the MnM community here can support one another for game play for your own cities.

nijineko
03-04-2008, 04:54 AM
i've been having fun reading the rulebook. that's almost always my first thing when i get a system. a complete read. ^^ interesting stuff!

joshuadunlow
08-30-2008, 02:38 AM
Alright, i have seen alot of bad press about the system. And i think , that most of the complaints are about combat. Come on, in every game, combat is going to be slow going. But i don't see how M&M can be all that slow really, Once initiative is set. You only get one move and one standard action. Pretty simple i think. And if you get the characters to get all their actions set out, before the dice are rolled. You can swim through it. I have very little complaints about the system myself, but personally i could see two areas of improvement. The Fatigue conditions, and PL 12-13 being the rank for cosmic characters. However these are inconsequential, next to the pure flexibility of the system. Character creation, that doesn't limit your imagination. Except with your starting power points of course. ;)

Before this , i played Marvel Super Heroes (from TSR) for my Super hero RPG. Revised Basic, and Advanced +UP all the way. This was a great, fun, simple, system. I have tried some others, but i cannot give any positive notes about any of the systems. Save Villains & Vigilantes. Which i did like. But in my opinions, M&M is Marvel Super Heroes but even better, the way it should be. I think GR, should see about getting their hands on the rights to create a Marvel Supplement for M&M.

Webhead
08-30-2008, 11:55 AM
...I think GR, should see about getting their hands on the rights to create a Marvel Supplement for M&M.

The discussion has come up repeatedly on the M&M message boards. It will probably be a cold day in Hell when it happens. The main reason being that it would be massively cost-prohibitive. Green Ronin is a very small company with very limited means. Secondly, Marvel will probably never give up those rights again either in an effort to create their own RPG in-house (which they've already tried once and failed terribly) or just to keep a lid on their intellectual property as they are fond of doing (Freedom Force and City of Heroes anyone?).

Still, there are many talented people in the M&M online community who have made encyclopedias worth of conversions for Marvel and DC characters. Give those a look.

joshuadunlow
08-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Still, there are many talented people in the M&M online community who have made encyclopedias worth of conversions for Marvel and DC characters. Give those a look.

I know i'm one of them ;)

Guardian
12-15-2008, 10:33 PM
I know i'm one of them ;)

Ditto for me as well....and his builds are pretty good, actually

Elguapo72
09-25-2009, 11:55 AM
I'd love to have a Mutants and Masterminds game here in DFW!!!:biggrin:

LordChicken
09-28-2009, 12:29 AM
As I have said before in http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12330

Play by Post can be a great tool to get players who love the game but live apart or have odd work hours to come in and play the game, as long as they all put in some time (and not run off at the start of a thread) it can go really well

Skunkape
09-28-2009, 07:42 AM
While this is a little off topic, I'm amazed at how much is available from the community as far as M&M is concerned. There's a forum where they've posted character write ups of almost every single comic book character there is! I'm really impressed by how active the M&M community is compared all of the other super hero type games that are out there.

Makes me glad I bought the game. Now if I can just find a game that runs close to me, meaning less that an hour drive away!:D Oh and during a time when I can play!