PDA

View Full Version : What crazy/creative things have characters done?

Xandros
05-18-2008, 04:05 AM
What are some of the crazier or more creative things that players in your groups (or you yourself) have done?

In our most recent game (I should probably note that we use house rules where a shield doesn't just add to AC. it is an active Defense action) The party was battling a group of kobolds and goblins. One of the fighters grabbed a kobold from behind in one hand and swung him around as a shield. The kobold died that very round and he continued to use the dead kobold shield. Being the DM of the group I just had to award bonus points to that player for creativity and hilarity.

upidstay
05-18-2008, 08:59 AM
DM ran us up against a Terrasque. 2nd edition rules. Basically we had no way of defeating this thing as it rampaged through the countryside.

One of the players had a Daerns Instant Fortress. We put it into Otiluke's Telekinetic Sphere, and started smacking the Terrasque in the nose with it. It snapped at it, bit down on it. Then we triggered the command word. Instant 50' iron tower. Did the reduction command, made it small again, repeated the process, then beat on it until the mage could finish his Wish spell to finish it off.

Maelstrom
05-18-2008, 08:10 PM
A local city-state had a reward out for the topknots of kobolds who had been ravaging the countryside. Every topknot taken could be turned in for a few silvers.

One PC, who acquired a portable hole, decided to start taking injured/unconcious kobolds and tossing them into the hole. He would pass in food and water, and every few months would take them out, cut their newly grown topknots and get the reward.

Harvesting kobolds!

cplmac
05-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Crazy:

Had a player state that he was casting Fireball at another mage inside a 5 ft. x 5 ft. wood shed. Can you say two crispy mages.

Creative:

The party needed to bust their way in through a set of huge wooden doors. They used one of the dead guards as a battering ram.

agoraderek
05-18-2008, 09:36 PM
creative: player (old school elven mu/thief, chaotic greedy) used his black cat familiar to steal a pair of magical wings during a combat.

crazy: two characters were arguing over who would attack a group of hobgoblins first, from their hiding spot near the hobgoblin camp, to look up and find the patrol surrounding them and laughing...

they enjoyed a brief career as slaves before they were rescued...

tesral
05-19-2008, 10:49 AM
Built and levitated a 30 foot long arrow some 1000 feet over a sleeping green dragon, and impaled her on it. They waited until she stopped thrashing and screaming and finished her off. Yea the blade on that arrow was forged three feet wide. They used thin wood planks as the vanes. It was a log they didn't even debark. That hurt going in.

Hired the Goblin tribes and co-opted their energy as a positive force in the area. The Goblins got food, shelter, decent clothing, and respect. Not to mention the trinkets they love. The PCs turned a problem into an asset.

Cecil
05-20-2008, 10:34 PM
There once was a character who went to face the most dangerous beast in the campaign, trusting his life on the actions of a stranger (another character) that he had just met in a smelly tavern.

Face it, we've all done it, but it sounds pretty crazy.

StarLady98
05-21-2008, 12:16 AM
Creative - Had a group of dwarves (PCs) hold off an army by rolling beer barrels down the hill at them.
(Dumb move afterward, they tried to sneak out that night to get them back because they ran out of beer. Drunken dwarves in full armor do not 'sneak' anywhere.)

Crazy - I had a game going where one character ended up being critical to the plot and was targeted by the enemy. He killed off his character to save the world. Who would have thought my player would go all noble on me and kill an entire storyline in one move?!

StarLady98
05-21-2008, 12:20 AM
Just thought of one that a friend of mine pulled, but I can not remember the correct name of the spell. I think it was fire-trap, where opening a closed object, like a chest or drawer, triggered a small explosion.

His character hollowed out part of the shafts on his arrows before putting the tips on and had his mage buddy cast a fire-trap spell on them. When the arrows hit and broke, it triggered the fire-trap spell. The only downside, the DM made him roll every few hours to check none of the arrows broke in the quiver.

Maelstrom
05-21-2008, 04:45 AM
A vampire was coming down a flight of fancy stairs to destroy the PCs that disturbed him (the PCs were further down the staircase). Someone cast grease on the stairs, and despite his high reflex he failed miserably, and down he went, triggering attacks of opportunity from all the PCs as he slid past before landing prone at the end of the staircase.

The Monk succeeded in tripping him every time he tried to get up, never allowing him to get a full attack. That was good because he had 6 attacks. Pretty pitiful end to a powerful bad guy.

Schmall
05-21-2008, 10:48 AM
I had a bandit tower on a hill that the PCs had to clear out. The bandits numbered around 50, including a low level necromancer (evil cleric) and a strong wizard. The catch, the bandits knew they were coming and were ready and waiting. The whole session was based on this encounter and the idea was smart spell casting, stealth, and hit and run tatics. Did my players do that? Of course not!! they just light the tall grass on fire down wind of the tower, effectively kill any men outside the tower (all low level fighters and thieves), and forced the rest inside the tower where an invisible wizard with fire protection waited to cast stinking cloud inside the tower followed by 3 web spells!! And then they all started throwing flaming cocktail bombs (my PCs love them) on the webs in order to burn the sick bandits!! My entire session done in 45 minutes tops!!!

cplmac
05-21-2008, 10:53 AM
I had a bandit tower on a hill that the PCs had to clear out. The bandits numbered around 50, including a low level necromancer (evil cleric) and a strong wizard. The catch, the bandits knew they were coming and were ready and waiting. The whole session was based on this encounter and the idea was smart spell casting, stealth, and hit and run tatics. Did my players do that? Of course not!! they just light the tall grass on fire down wind of the tower, effectively kill any men outside the tower (all low level fighters and thieves), and forced the rest inside the tower where an invisible wizard with fire protection waited to cast stinking cloud inside the tower followed by 3 web spells!! And then they all started throwing flaming cocktail bombs (my PCs love them) on the webs in order to burn the sick bandits!! My entire session done in 45 minutes tops!!!

Just goes to show that you can never truely predict what the players are going to do.

tesral
05-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Just goes to show that you can never truely predict what the players are going to do.

My group is so predictable in going in the back way I design the back way first.

Schmall
05-22-2008, 10:11 AM
My group always find the unplanned way around or through a problem or encounter. I have stopped planning details and just loosely set things up so I can adjust. As in I be sure I know my monsters' tatics, stats, gear, and personalities (if any) so that I am not forcing my critters to be stuck in a rut.

victim666
06-01-2008, 11:30 AM
The craziest thing a player did: My brother ran up behind a epic lvl psionic warrior,grabed his cloak,threw it over the baddies head, and started to choke him with it while beating him over the head with his helmet:lol:
The craziest part...... IT WORKED!!!!

nijineko
06-08-2008, 04:38 PM
creative: in an oriental setting where the player carefully established that gunpowder existed, managed to sneakily put together a device through by scattering the steps involved in building it mixed in throughout a bunch of various errands that the player was running over the course of a week or two.

he was being asked by the town to take out a dragon for which he had a dragon-slaying sword of appropriate color. so he built his device under the nose of the unrealizing dm, and faced down the dragon with only himself and a lot of protective spells cast by a cleric and a wizard. he challenged the dragon to single combat with no "direct" interference by any other-counting on the fact that spells cast on him ahead of time shouldn't count as direct.

his device? a gunpowder powered spear launcher. with the slaying sword modified into a spear.

come to think of it, taking on a dragon more or less single-handedly was pretty crazy too. by the end of the fight the character was at 3 or 5 hp, the dragon had just barely gone neg.

another crazy/creative: a male player playing a female character came to an outpost with the party and promptly started claiming that there was going to be an ambush that night. well a few took her seriously, but not enough to satisfy the character. so she crossed the river the outpost fronted, and cat-napped up in a tree on the other side. sure enough, that night a big ambush party came to attack the fort, complete with catapults. she dropped down behind the attackers and followed them to the river, and jumped right into the last boat with the attackers blasting them with ice magic. then she had to run away as she didn't kill them all. she jumped into the river and floated back to where the catapults were-evading the hunters. then she used ice magic to counter the flaming bolts from the catapults. and did some damage to them as well. all told, with the rest of the players, we managed to just barely turn the tide and save the outpost.

when the player was asked how he knew about the attack, (the dm thought that he had given away something somehow) he thought for a while and said, "well, my character is a female, so it was woman's intuition!" =D