PDA

View Full Version : Working on an Artifact(PEACH)

Shadow Dweller
05-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Going through and building a artifact for each of the characters from a previous campaign. The first one(and only atm) I did was for the groups cleric, who's soul was later consumed and used to re-birth a Goddess(no, she didn't become a goddess). This is meant to be a Major Artifact, so treat the powers as such and please critique. Also, any help with names would be welcome as I SUCK at namaing.
And yes, the head cleric in this homebrew world is called the Pope. Started as a joke/placeholder and then just stuck...don't ask me, I didn't make the world :-P

Cassandra's Artifact(feel free to suggest a name here. Cassandra was the character's name.)
<<Pope Medalion>>
The <<PM>> is an ornately designed Medalion made of Mithril in the form of the holy symbol of the Goddess. It is attached to chain of fine Mithril links and is worn around the neck as an amulet and provides a small amount of light as if softly glowing. The wearer of the amulet receives a +5 Divine bonus to all saving throws.

The <<PM>> has the following abilities
<<effect name?>>: 1/Month the <<PM>> can return a creature to life as if by the Resurection Spell. This requires no material Components and may only be used on non-evil creatures.

<<effect name?>>: 3/day the weilder can cast Mass Cure Critical Wounds at 20th Level

<<effect name?>>: 1/day the weilder can cast Holy Aura at 20th level

True Miracle: 1 every 6 months their weilder may cast Miracle without any of the material components. If the effect of the Miracle spell requires an XP payment, you pay only half the normal XP required. Once used the medalion stops glowing and all other effects can not be used for 1d4 weeks, at which point the glow returns. The Saving throw bonus functions through out.

cplmac
05-14-2008, 12:56 PM
I like it. Especially since you have not went overboard on the number of abilities that it grants and the frequency of the abilities.

As for a name, since the soul was consumed to rebirth a Goddess, I was thinking that you could say that the Goddess made the medalion as a gesture of thanks and thereby named it the Necklace of Cassandra. It would also not be able to be duplicated by anyone else that is not a God or Goddess, so that it would then be a unique item since there is only one.

Shadow Dweller
05-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Well, for an item of Artifact level power I basically assumed as much, as do most of the people I play with. Most likely none of the other character's namesake artifacts are going to be as powerfull. They are alive and have been turned into celestials so they can travle and fight with the goddess, and their artifacts come from their ending item list. They were basically items that got cought up in the power the goddess used to turn them into celestials, and were given a power boost to minor artifact status...now I just need to build them :-P

Shadow Dweller
05-15-2008, 07:21 AM
Ok, minor change. 3 other artifacts are going to count as Major Artifacts as well, mainly those items wielded by by myself, and the other 2 people who are using our characters as primary story characters in later campaigns :)

Here is another of those, a sword that belonged to a Bard/Rogue while it was mundane.

Sirenís Song
+1, Hideaway, Harmonizing Longsword. It counts as a light weapon in all situations that would be beneficial to do so(as with Weaponís Finesse), but as a normal Longsword in all other situations(as with weapon damage)
<<Effect Name>>: 1/day the wielder can cast Greater Shout at 20th Level

<<Effect Name>>: 1/week the wielder can cast Greater Invisibility on themselves at 20th Level. They may make a will save to go undetected by the effects of a True Seeing spell or similar effect, DC = 10 + Spell Level + casterís Wisdom modifier.

<<Effect>>: 1/Month the wielder may cast Wail of the Banshee at 20th level.

Fluff is undone, waiting for some info from the person who played this character.

kirksmithicus
05-15-2008, 12:18 PM
was trying to come up with some names. Here's what I've got so far

The Amulet of St. Cassandra: the spark (or well spring) of the # (third, fourth, etc) Incarnation of the Divine Essence of [insert Goddess name].

Quite wordy I know, but it is a powerful Holy relic.

Just mix and match words as you please

Powers:
Resurrection

Holy
Divine
Celestial
Righteous

Restoration
Renewal
Purification
Rebirth

Holy Aura

Divine
Saintly
Virtuous
Sacred

Authority
Command
Influence

Miracle

Divine
Saintly
Celestial
Holy

Adjudication
Judgment
Intervention
Righteous

warlock
05-16-2008, 09:17 AM
No negative/side effects? 90% of artifacts have one of some kind. I find these effects make the items more quirky and fun :)

Shadow Dweller
05-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Well, I'd consider the loss of use on the Amulet a negitive side effect, though I do see what your saying. Considering these are all items that were used/created by, in essence, entities of pure good they would all have the subscript that if your alignment ever went to Neutral you'd receive 2 negitive levels while holding this. If any of the abilities was ever used by an evil character they would gain 2 permanant negitive levels...hars enough? :)

Dimthar
05-16-2008, 12:44 PM
The <<PM>> has the following abilities
<<effect name?>>: 1/Month the <<PM>> can return a creature to life as if by the Resurection Spell. This requires no material Components and may only be used on non-evil creatures.

I would limit these ability to Good Characters who are Clerics of the "Godess" (I am assuming the Godess herself is Good)

<<effect name?>>: 3/day the weilder can cast Mass Cure Critical Wounds at 20th Level

Only to Non-Evil Characters

<<effect name?>>: 1/day the weilder can cast Holy Aura at 20th level

Only to Non-Evil Characters

True Miracle: 1 every 6 months their weilder may cast Miracle without any of the material components. If the effect of the Miracle spell requires an XP payment, you pay only half the normal XP required. Once used the medalion stops glowing and all other effects can not be used for 1d4 weeks, at which point the glow returns. The Saving throw bonus functions through out.

Only to Good Characters followers of the "Godess".

I agree there should be negative effects to "Evil" Characters

I suggest only the Mightiest Purest Goodest Cleric of the Goddess is available to activate the most powerful powers of the artifact.

Shadow Dweller
05-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Thanks Dimthar for the sugestions. Again, don't know why I didn't think to make a no-evil use/effect stipulation for the others. As to the Resurection & Miracle issue, I think I'll leave those as an anyone can activate power(within the non-evil guidelines). These aren't intended to get into the player's hands untill 16-17th level anyway, so by that time it's not impossible to replicate the powers, it's just handier with it all tied into the artifact. :)

cplmac
05-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Sorry, I was just assuming that you had to be a follower of the Goddess in order to even be able to handle the artifact, much less use it.

Shadow Dweller
05-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Well, the world these were designed for has 2 gods, the Goddes of Life and the Dark God, the God of Maddness who is currently dead...or, to be more acurate incubating after his last defeat in the bloodline of one of the people responsible for resurecting the Goddess 50 years prior...yeah...involved story really. :-P