PDA

View Full Version : Poster Sized Hex Paper

warlock
05-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Does anyone know where I can get some of this?

I have one sheet thats been folded up for more years than I care to count. Its the armory 8205. I want to transfer my world map onto it, as its on a sheet of 8 1/2 X 11. But it seems that this kind of thing is no longer made.
I know I can print my own hex paper, but I don't have a large format printer, and I don't think copyworks can print on anything as thick as the armory stuff is.

Any hints suggestions or snide remarks ? :p

Kilrex
05-04-2008, 07:47 PM
When I lived in Cali, the Kinkos in San Francisco there would print out poster size stuff.

tesral
05-04-2008, 09:16 PM
That might be your best bet. Print a letter sized sheet with hexes half the size you want and go to a copy place (Kinkos or others) They usually have a good slection of paper weights and colors.

The other choice is art stores. However I have not seen any hex paper in a while.

warlock
05-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Nor have I. Im just being lazy and want to order some online and be done with it. I think I can have copyworks print PDF's, I will probably end up just generating a huge pdf and seeing if I can get them to print on something thats a bit thicker than toilet paper :P

cplmac
05-06-2008, 02:11 PM
What about an art supply or craft store?

Digital Arcanist
05-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Actually.....I would try Costco. They can blow things up to poster size or print them poster size if the image is already sized correctly. I just printed out a couple of homemade Illustrator dungeons there. They charge a fraction of what Kinko's asked and they can mail the poster to your house or you can pick it up in the store. I have a friend with a Costco card and he placed my order for me online.

tesral
05-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Actually.....I would try Costco. They can blow things up to poster size or print them poster size if the image is already sized correctly. I just printed out a couple of homemade Illustrator dungeons there. They charge a fraction of what Kinko's asked and they can mail the poster to your house or you can pick it up in the store. I have a friend with a Costco card and he placed my order for me online.

I'll keep that in mind. I'll see of my local Costco has print services.

Digital Arcanist
05-07-2008, 02:50 PM
I think all Costco's have print abilities. I believe they send everything out to a lab (perhaps owned by Costco) and then from there the lab can return the prints or mail them. It takes a couple days to get pictures made and they don't offer 1-hour photo options.

If you have a card then you can go to their website and start an online album to have pictures made and then select what Costco to have them sent to.

warlock
05-08-2008, 08:12 AM
No costco here :( I'll have to deal with copyworks if the local craft stores dont have anything.

Cecil
05-20-2008, 09:47 PM
You may also want to try Hero games or GURPs resources. They may have some you could order.

I also have a 24x30 inch hex overlay I drop on top of my maps (and a larger one for when I resample to 3-foot scale). I can upload it in a pdf very easily, since it's almost already ready.

GoddessGood
06-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Chessex makes them. My GM for Masterminds uses them and they work with vis a vis markers (overhead projector markers) very well. Chessex even sells factory seconds at a discount.

http://www.chessex.com/mats/Battlemats_&_Megamats.htm

Edit: The megamat is what we use. They also sell a "mondomat" which is ginormous and I don't know how I'd use it except to hang it on a wall.

tesral
06-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Chessex makes them. My GM for Masterminds uses them and they work with vis a vis markers (overhead projector markers) very well. Chessex even sells factory seconds at a discount.

http://www.chessex.com/mats/Battlemats_&_Megamats.htm

Edit: The megamat is what we use. They also sell a "mondomat" which is ginormous and I don't know how I'd use it except to hang it on a wall.

Or cover a floor. I have one. It fits across two 8 foot by 30 inch tables nicely. When it needs a through cleaning I toss it on the kitchen floor and mop it.

Hex paper is what was asked for. In the 17 x 22 inch or larger size.

nijineko
06-14-2008, 05:09 PM
try google or amazon yet? and most print shops like kinkos will print out large sheets of paper. maybe some of them will ship an order?

wbrandel
10-27-2008, 03:37 PM
I have an office max where I live and they have that size hex and graph paper. have you tried them?

Greylond
10-27-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm very lucky. One of our gaming couples has the perfect setup. The wife has a huge plotter at work so she can print off large(36" wide) Hex or Grid posters and her husband fixes office machines, i.e. his company repairs all the stuff for Kinko's in the area, so he can laminate stuff for us. So, between the two of them I've got three battlemats(laminated) for free. He also spiral binds all of our game books for us.

nijineko
10-27-2008, 07:43 PM
it ultimately seems to boil down to who you know, in the end.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-28-2008, 12:15 AM
I have an office max where I live and they have that size hex and graph paper. have you tried them?
This is where i get my chart hex paper. Actually, any office store sells it for around $25.00, give or take a few bucks.

Careful though, once i started using the hex chart paper, my gaming dry-erase map has collected dust.

wbrandel
10-29-2008, 02:59 PM
I actually use both, I use the large dry erase battlemats for combat and have for years ever since one of my players decided to adjust his position in combat to where he could always attack but for some reason the baddies couldn't. the poster hex and graph paper I use for the large scale maps and permanant maps, ya know PC strongholds and such.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-29-2008, 08:44 PM
I have small homemade battlemats that i use now. For large areas, i use the poster map, but for smaller areas and most of every module, i use the small homemade maps. When i find my camrea, i will post. Very cool and very usable.

Excior
10-29-2008, 09:04 PM
The Armory I remember that company, I use to use their character sheets. I remember you could by a whole pad of them for like three dollars.