PDA

View Full Version : Coolest magic item??

upidstay
05-03-2008, 06:01 AM
What's the coolest magic item you've ever owned or created?

Ring, armor, sword, staff? What did it do?

I'll post mine later, but right now I gotta go.

Kilrex
05-03-2008, 08:05 AM
The Staff of Ur-Li

Was a monk item that could transform into alot of useful stuff. Was normally a quarterstaff, but could transform into a short spear, spear, long spear, nunchuks, man-catcher, battering ram, 10ft pole, and a board 10ft long by 1 ft wide. Was an intelligent item and could make other transformations as long as they were simple. It counted as a +1 but had the returning and lawful abilities.

ARMarcoux
05-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Close tie
...a staff that had the spirit of an elder dragon in it. Controlled a player subconsciously to gather certain components and go on some quests in order to restore the dragon spirit into its living form.
...golden glove that was empowered with different forms of healing inside (such as Healing HP, regen, resotration, etc). Made for a useful priest/cleric item.

Malruhn
05-03-2008, 10:15 PM
My favorite was a cursed ring.

The Ring of Charming.
When donned, the wearer becomes instantly aware that this ring is very, VERY valuable and powerful! He will claim it immediately as either a portion or the entire share of treasure - even to the point of owing other PC's in the group. There is no drive to get it identified, however, and the player will just admire it and wait for it to reveal its powers when they are due and he is worthy.

TRUTH: The ring doesn't do a durned thing other than take up a ring slot.

Webhead
05-03-2008, 11:04 PM
As a player, this would have to be a toss-up between two items: the Mysterious Mug and the Hammock of Protection.

1) Mysterious Mug - a magical mug that has 1 of 6 random effects upon anyone who drinks from it. I don't recall all the effects, but one of them was that it turned the liquid into a choking vapor which incapacitated the drinker for a few rounds. We got some very lucky use out of this one, convincing a would-be assassin to allow us to drink with him as a "last request"...hehehe...

2) Hammock of Protection - a magic hammock that would ensnare anyone who approached the person sleeping in it, dumping the sleeper on the ground to wake them. Needless to say, many a nighttime surprise attack was foiled by this beauty.

I've always preferred unusual magic items to boring "+1" magical bonuses.

As a GM, my favorite items are original cursed items that I whip up from time to time. Here's a couple good ones:

1) Ring of "Blinking" - This ring causes the wearer to blink one eye uncontrollably. This effect imposes a -2 penalty to Dexterity or sight-based attribute and skills checks and all attack rolls as well as a -5 penalty on Concentration checks. The wearer also cannot get good rest and thus does not recover hit points from sleep as normal.

2) Bag of "Holding" - This otherwise ordinary Bag of Holding I has an additional, dastardly effect. When in someone's possession, that being is permanently affected by a Hold Person or Hold Monster spell. As with all cursed magic items, a Remove Curse spell is needed to release the bearer from his deathly stillness.

3) Lyre of "Buildings" - When the bearer of this lyre is under any form of high stress (such as during combat or situations of heightened emotion), they become compelled to seek indoor habitation with irresistible force. The bearer moves swiftly (but not so swift as to be careless) in the direction of the nearest building or enclosed structure and can perform no other actions until this compunction is met. Once they reach an enclosed area, or if they are in such an area when the effect is triggered, they immediately begin mindlessly playing the lyre for 1d10 rounds. When finished playing, the bearer may act normally, though she may not voluntarily relinquish possession of the lyre and will violently defend against any attempts by others to take it. This triggered defense does not activate the effect of the lyre.

4) Boots of "Speed" - The world around the wearer seems as if permanently cast at lightning speed. The wearer is permanently affected by a special form of the Slow spell. In addition to the spell's normal effects, the wearer's speech is affected, making it sluggish enough to make communication with others difficult.

Anaesthesia
05-04-2008, 12:57 PM
The best magic item I created for a player was the Mask of Charming. You could either have a full mask or a partial mask (like the Phantom in the Phantom of the Opera). On command, it would charm anyone looking at the mask, if they failed their will save. The PC who wore it-a CN Bard/Outlaw of the Crimson Road-had it crafted to look similar to Oldimarra's symbol and robbed several people while they were charmed.

tesral
05-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Why do people consider screw the characters items cool? A cool item is one that everyone gets to have fun with.

I am most fond of the items of practical magic. Everyday things that are enchanted to some comfort benefit to the character that has them, or even the whole group.

Webhead
05-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Why do people consider screw the characters items cool? A cool item is one that everyone gets to have fun with.

Thinking that this general notion may be partly directed at me for my list of cursed items, I offer the following expansion and clarification upon the topic:

I never take a "screw the PCs" approach to running my games. It just doesn't make sense. It's supposed to be about having fun sharing an imaginary world. And if that imaginary world is predicated upon an "us versus them" philosophy, then it really becomes less a shared storytelling experience and more a series of constantly escalating attempts at comeuppance.

In my D&D campaigns, I very rarely throw cursed items at the PCs. Sure, they are an interesting and usually unexpected twist, but most often they only serve to frustrate players by hamstringing them in some fashion. In short, a cursed item's purpose is only to take the PCs down a peg...not something that is terribly conducive to a fun session/adventure.

Yet there is the element of the unexpected that cursed items represent that is appealing on occasion. So what does a DM do? For me and my campaigns, the answer is this: use a cursed item as something more than a thorn in the paw of the PCs, turn it into a brief subplot or source of comic relief.

All of the "cursed" items that I've ever introduced to PCs as a DM (which probably equates to 3 over the course of about 8 years of running D&D games) had very short-term influence upon the game (none lasting longer than a session and a half) and were specifically and blatantly intended to make the players chuckle and liven up roleplaying encounters. Like the Ring of Blinking. It makes for some fun and memorable encounters when a PC tries charming the sorceress employing them out of additional supplies, all the while his right eye blinking vigorously.

I generally talk about cursed items more than I actually include them in a D&D game. That said, when I do decide that I want to include one (which is almost never), I make sure that its true purpose is to actually make the game more quirky and fun in some way. If the cursed items does not pass this basic "test", then it has no place in my game.

cplmac
05-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Sunblade. Came in handy with an encounter with a vampire.

spotlight
05-06-2008, 06:04 PM
My favorite majic item? That's easy, it is a little white glove that is still laying on a small pedistal. Even though five separate adventuring parties have passed near by, none have yet bothered to explore this room.

Just because it is guarded by a tribe of Kobolds, I mean, after all, how difficult is THAT???

upidstay
05-09-2008, 09:54 PM
One of them is

"The Fist of Clangeddin". +3 Holy Keen Dwarven War Axe. Gives 2 negative levels to any evil being who handles it, functions as a +1 Dwarven War Axe for a non-dwarf. Will turn water to holy water by touch, functions as a Cleric's holy symbol.

Another:
The Arm of Sree Topak. A mithral bracer. Fires 25 magic missles per day, up to 5 per shot. Grants a +5 armor bonus. Grants a +3 bonus to saves. Also has 5 rings that go along with it, plus a chain that joins all 6 items together.
Ring 1: +3 Ring of Protection
Ring 2: Feather Falling
Ring 3: Energy Resistance Fire 15
Ring 4: Energy Resistance Cold 15
Ring 5: Energy Resistance Electricity 15
Chain: May be worn seperately. Grants SR 25
With all 5 rings and the chain properly placed, wearer can Passwall, and Teleport at will once per day.
This is obviously a very powerful item, and a campaign was built around finding all of the pieces. Took them from 2nd to 20th level to find it.

Mail of the Dragon Lord: Golden Chain Mail +5. No arcane spell failure or armor check penalty. Max dex bonus +6. Weighs 10lbs.

Boots of the Master Thief:
+10 on Climb, Jump, Tumble, Move Silently, and Balance checks.

Gloves of the Cat Burglar
+15 on Climb checks, +10 on Sleight of Hand checks, has an extra dimensional pocket in each glove, will hold up to 3 daggers or an equivalent sized object(s).

Mask of the Charlatan. Wearer gains +15 on Diplomacy and Bluff checks.

"Flash-Bangs": Function just like the ones the SWAT guys use. It's an egg sized stone that explodes in a loud bang with a bright flash of light. DC 15 save or blinded and deafened for d4+1 rounds. Especially effective against Drow or other light intolerant critters.

I also have some more mundane items.
Dimoorin Heating Stones.
Basically, they're rocks that slowly get hot. Generally used for cooking. Smalls ones can be carried in a pocket, user can set the heat level. May be used simply as "hand warmers" or for boiling water. Larger ones may be placed inside ovens. These were created by an enterprising mage character of mine. Were sold to the general populace, saved many from freezing to death after the king imposed a hefty tax on coal.

Malruhn
05-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Another that I liked was the Sword of Groqx (pronounced: Grocks). Please remember that this was 2nd Edition.

Groqx was a lawful neutral half-orc fighter that was trying to further his deity (Ilneval, orcan deity of Battle) through non-evil means, and was played as more devout than any character I have ever seen prior to this (or since!). Prior to any battle, he dedicated the battle and all liberated souls to Ilneval, and after battle, he thanks Ilneval for the chance to prove his skill and promote the orcan ideal throughout the land. He tithed probably 80% to the church - which blew me away.

He decided to have a blade made that was dedicated to his god, and the player took me by surprise so I had to wing it. Personally, I think I outdid myself.

By the end of the night, Groqx was at zero hitpoints, the blade had been thrice forged and thrice cursed, quenched in the blood of a human, a dwarf and an elf, all slain in fair (yes, fair!!) single battle, with Groqx receiving no healing between battles.

In the end, the sword did nothing... and everything. It was officially a +0 sword, but acted as if it had a +7 enchantment (remember, in 2nd edition, various critters needed +X magical bonus to be hit), allowing the blade to hit everything - but gave no actual bonus to hit or damage. Since Groqx was so proud of his own prowess, any kill he made was truly "his" rather than his sword's. There were two gems inset (the blade looked like the horribly stereotypical mythical barbarian sword, with a demon's face cut into the blade) that looked like eyes, that helped Groqx focus and speak (or so he thought) to Ilneval. If the poop hit the fan and he really needed help, he could blow into the hilt like a horn, activating a Horn of Valhalla, bringing several warriors from Ilneval's court to fight for him... which was always seen as a failure on his part (as he couldn't do it himself).

In 3.5 rules, basically all it was, was a greatsword of silver, cold iron, magic, adamantite, mithril, hot, cold, etcetera... so it could blow through any and all damage reduction... with a Horn of Valhalla attached.

Groqx's first act with it was to free an Elven princess from the orcan church who was trying to get him to sacrifice her to christen the blade.

Damn, but I miss that player and character.

victim666
06-03-2008, 07:59 AM
I will have to say that the coolest item i have ever come across was the Eversoaking Sponge :cool:. Throw that at a Water Elemental and watch the fun.

tesral
06-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Damn, but I miss that player and character.

I can see why.

Vulture
06-03-2008, 09:45 AM
i dont know if this is the coolest magic item i created, but it was the one my players wanted to have, but at the same time didn't want.

Argus Deathspire is/was the Vampire Lord of Castle Deathspire and the nearby village of Deathspire. his favorite weapon is a bastard sword.

Sword of Argus Deathspire:
+3 Bastard Sword
+5 against Undead
Vampiric Sword ( if it doesnt kill for 24 hours it steals the owners life)
Turns owner into a vampire unless that can pass a constitution check

upidstay
06-04-2008, 05:17 AM
What's with all of the cursed items?? Sheesh

Vulture
06-04-2008, 07:02 AM

Cursed items kick butt, like grimloc in the original (1987) transformers movie:laugh:

Webhead
06-04-2008, 08:49 AM

Done right, they can represent an element of unpredictability and the "oh, crap!" factor.

Giving your PCs a bazooka can be boringly predictable. So long as they've got ammo and a thirst for carnage (and what group doesn't), they'll try to approach every encounter in a way that let's them use it. But give them a bazooka that has a chance of malfunctioning or backfiring and they'll be a bit more careful about when they try to use it. :D

tesral
06-04-2008, 10:17 AM
This is NOT a cursed item. However major artifiacts must be treated with respect.

6) The fishing pool: (Special 80 round 30 side wall & domed) The chamber is filled with flashing lights of different colors as they reflect off the domed ceiling over head. In places said ceiling is scarred and discolored from things that hit it. The walk way has a sturdy four-foot rail that angles back onto the walkway. Some parts of the rail look newer than others. The working platform has a chair and a pedestal The pedestal has a single cavity for the record cylinders located in the vaults around the fishing pool.

Sitting in the chair activates the pool. It requires a will save DC 25. Failing the save allows a fort save also DC 25 to wrench yourself from the chair. That save failed the sitter has randomly activated the pool. They are taken on a Hell-ride like no other. The thoughts of the sitter will randomly bring things up from the pool. 1d3-2 items per round will fall from the pool. A contingency will move larger objects to room 28, smaller ones to room 29. With every round that passes the sitter will lose a wisdom point. When they reach zero, they are pulled from the chair and cast into the pool, never to be seen again. Any attempt from outside to removed them requires a reflex DC 17 to avoid being cast into the pool themselves.

Making the first save allows the sitter to "control" the fishing pool. However, without either knowledge of how to use it or a control location rod any use of the pool is impossible. The sitter goes on the Hell ride, but loses no wisdom. Items still pop out as before.

Anyone in the room and not on the control platform area when the pool starts up must also save reflex DC 15 to avoid being drawn into the fishing pool.

In the pit there is an endless light show to put 2001 to shame. When found the pool is quiescent and the colors move slowly. Sometimes something can almost be made out in the pool. Trying to see anything in the pool requires a will save DC 15 or the person is drawn to enter the pool. Good bye forever.

Once the pool is started the doors are sealed with a 40th level wizard lock. DC 32. It is not a good idea to mess with this thing.

Action: Focus on the pool: Will DC 15 or compelled to enter.
Sit in the chair: Will 25. Fail will from sitting in the chair fort DC 25 to get out of the chair
Pull someone from the chair: reflex DC 17
On the walk way when it gets started: Reflex DC 17

When used by someone that knows how to work it the fishing pool can either be used as the ultimate crystal ball, or it can be used to "fish" and seek things in the multiverse. However unlike a crystal ball persons and items can be placed in the scenes viewed in the dome or persons and items removed. The people that can work this thing can be countered on one hand. Eecreeana being one.

InfoStorm
06-04-2008, 10:39 AM
I don't remember 100% of the pair of items, but I remember most of it.

Fire & Ice were a match pair of daggers.

Fire: +1 Dagger of Flaming. Intelligent with an ego of ~15 and a CG alignment. Hated organized crime (LE thief guilds).

Ice: +1 Dagger of Frost. Intelligent with an Ego of ~ 15 and a LG alignment. Hated CE Spellcasters (Red Wizards of Thay wer in the campaign).

Both had special purpose powers of weak strength.

However, if both blades were touched together, huge gouts of steam errupted from there, effectively a Solid fog spell centered on the wielder of the daggers, to which the wielders were immune to the "solid" effect.

However, their were owned by a Neutral Good fighter who was constantly being torn in both directions of order or independence. If one of the blades one the ego fight, he would only use the one for a while until he regained control.

We role played difference in alignment between intelligent blades, had some great role players in that game, especially all of the two LG fighters who both wielded the LN bastard sword at different times. (one almost changed alignment until she threw the blade aside).

cplmac
06-11-2008, 08:59 AM
Another that I liked was the Sword of Groqx (pronounced: Grocks). Please remember that this was 2nd Edition.

In the end, the sword did nothing... and everything. It was officially a +0 sword, but acted as if it had a +7 enchantment (remember, in 2nd edition, various critters needed +X magical bonus to be hit), allowing the blade to hit everything - but gave no actual bonus to hit or damage.

I like the idea of a sword that has the magical bonus to hit various creatures but gives no bonus to hit or for damage. I may have to borrow this idea for in my campaigns. That is provided the party finds the weapon. I would not have them start out with it.

Webhead
06-11-2008, 10:57 AM
I like the idea of a sword that has the magical bonus to hit various creatures but gives no bonus to hit or for damage. I may have to borrow this idea for in my campaigns. That is provided the party finds the weapon. I would not have them start out with it.

Yes, with magic items, originality is the key. There are so many things that can be done with magic items...why settle for just another +1 longsword? Embrace the creativity!

I ran an adventure once where the PCs were traveling with an adolescent giant. The little giant had a huge claymore that sparked with energy and left a faint trail of mist when swung. He could (weather permitting) use it to call down a bolt of lightning upon his enemy once per day. It was his family's ancestral sword and it shocked anyone who tried to pick it up who was not a blood relative of the family. Their home was high atop a mountain, frequently shrouded in rough, stormy conditions. The sword was an embodiment of their home.

Malruhn
06-11-2008, 10:22 PM
I've done lots of playing around with strange powers that don't really do anything.

A huge mace (insert magical ability of your choice), that leaves a trail of sparkles as it is swung - with a "splash" of sparkles when it hits (think Tinkerbell's fairy dust!).

Any weapon (insert magical ability of your choice), that will NOT sink in water, no matter how much the wielder may want (or need) it to.

Weapons that trigger alerts of a specific enemy whenever it comes within range (think of Frodo's/Bilbo's Elven blade). It may be glowing, vibrating, or anything that may get the holder's attention.

And my favorite stuff.

Magical items in my world (in many cases) have histories. Yeah, you may have found a +2 sword that rings with the sound of many different sized bells when it hits something, but it was once wielded by Sir Bob the Mauve Knight that single-handedly slew the ravening Wampum Beast. Does it do anything special? Not really, but it may either give you a +2 intimidation check against a foe that considers that scary - or give a +2 bonus to morale from greed if the foe wants it himself... But the locals will treat you like a hero, no matter what.

Or...

The armor was worn by Laird Scotty the Knight of Tomb Valley, who killed almost 50 unarmed civilians in cold blood... just imagine the built in role-playing that you have there!! ("You bastage! The last guy that wore that armor kilt me gran' pop an' me gran' uncle!")

agoraderek
06-11-2008, 11:59 PM
i played a gnoll fighter cleric in a game heavily influenced by the "arduin" books by dave hargrave back in the day. he wielded an adamantite swords named "argentum', basically a +4 bastard sword with defender and flaming powers. the sword, as a magic item, was fairly standard type stuff, but it was given to serak by a poymorphed silver dragon posing as a child. while the rest of theparty was trying to figure out a) who the heck left a kid alone in the mansion, and b) how can we get away with some of this cool stuff, serak was asking the "kid" where her parents were, if she needed anything, (with asides to the party to "put that down, it isnt yours...)

(serak started life as a normal gnoll "reaver" type, was thumped by a paladin, but spared for whatever reason, and "saw the light" so to speak, so he tried everything he could to be a paladin, but the church wouldnt let him join the order, so he did the next best thing. probably the most honorable gnoll in existence, ever...) it was that kind of game...

anyway, eventually the party got bored and wanted to shove off, so, after making sure the others didnt take anything, and asking the "little girl" if she was sure she wouldnt feel safer staying in town at the inn until her parents returned, the dragon revealed herself, commended serak for being more "human" than his human companions, and awarded him the sword. (blew me away, i really thought it was just a kid...)

so, just for sentimental reasons, that was always my favorite magic item.

nijineko
06-14-2008, 05:24 PM
awesome sword!

i admit that had it been me running the game i would have been seriously tempted to turn the humans into something else temporarily as a lesson....

agoraderek
06-15-2008, 12:13 AM
awesome sword!

i admit that had it been me running the game i would have been seriously tempted to turn the humans into something else temporarily as a lesson....

yeah, me too. heck, serak came close to blows with a couple of the other characters over all sorts of issues, he was sort of "ultra lawful good", overcompensating for his checkered past...

Goldshadow
06-17-2008, 10:19 PM
I built this a while back and posted it on the Giant in the Playground Forums. I did this with D&D 3.5 in mind, but I can see that with a few tweaks, you could almost make it work in 4e. I'll play with it tomorrow and see what I can do to make it workable. I'll probably have to make it a bow with special Encounter or Daily abilities.

Stuck Arrow (Bolt): This is a solid iron arrow or bolt that upon impact will act as an Immovable Rod. The arrow/bolt will not move from where it is, even if staying in place defies gravity. This enchantment will last for 60 minutes, at which point, it becomes a non-magical item. The arrow/bolt can support up to 2,000 pounds before falling to the ground. If a creature pushes against it, it must make a DC 25 Strength check to move the arrow/bolt up to 10 feet in a single round.

If the arrow/bolt has dealt any damage to a target any attempted movement deals an additional 2d6 damage. This movement requires a full round action and requires a DC15 strength check to allow the victim to tear free. This allows for a 5-foot movement. A failing check prevents the victim from tearing free. A stuck target does not get any Dex bonus.

This arrow will deal double damage + 2d6 against any charging opponent. The target must then make a DC 30 Strength check or the charge is broken.

Any player making a mounted charge who fails the strength check, or who's mount is hit, must make a DC 30 ride check or be removed from their mount. Any creature suspended in the air by a wound from a stuck arrow, whether in this fashion or not, automatically takes an extra 2d6 subdual pain damage every round they remain suspended. A creature so suspended that is incapable of flight takes a -2 penalty on the strength check to move after being struck.

"I find targets so much easier to hit once they stop moving". William Tell

Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, levitate; Price 500 gp.

tesral
06-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Any player making a mounted charge who fails the strength check, or who's mount is hit, must make a DC 30 ride check or be removed from their mount. Any creature suspended in the air by a wound from a stuck arrow, whether in this fashion or not, automatically takes an extra 2d6 subdual pain damage every round they remain suspended. A creature so suspended that is incapable of flight takes a -2 penalty on the strength check to move after being struck.

Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, levitate; Price 500 gp.

I'm not, I'm not, I'M NOT!!! I am not going to bring up real arrow physics. IT'S A FREAKING MAGIC ITEM!!!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-18-2008, 12:29 AM
+3 Ring of Vampiric Regeneration.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-18-2008, 12:33 AM
I had a +3 Cursed Berserker blade in a campaign once. Once the enemy was dead, i turned on my party. Surprised us all. Everyone was brainstorming on how to take that blade away w/o killing me. I dont recall the outcome but i think i was killed. Pretty cool .

Webhead
06-18-2008, 12:54 AM
In one campaign, our party Psion's Psi-crystal was malicious and quite tempermental. It was about the time that it started stealing its master's Psi-points and manifesting legs to become mobile that the Psion reached for the Cleric's mace and smashed the thing to pieces. Yup...he killed his own familiar...it was far safer that way...

Aidan
06-18-2008, 01:39 AM
Probably the most interesting magical item I've come up with appears to be a large chest, about 5' long x 2' wide x 2' deep. It has four iron strap hinges across the top, a large wrought iron ring at each end and a large wrought iron lock plate on the front. It appears to be made up of a stack of 20 slabs of wood about 2" thick.

It can be opened with the proper key, but if you pull the key out part way and turn it, the chest seems to unfold itself like an accordian. If a wall is nearby it becomes pair of heavy wooden doors, 10'x10' with large wrought iron strap hinges, a wrought iron ring on each door and a large wrought iron lock plate.

Through the door is what appears to be the entry tunnel of a gatehouse, lined with arrow slits and murder holes and another set of double doors at the other end. Through the other set of doors is a modest keep with a bailey complete with outbuildings such as a smithy, kitchen, buttery, stables, and the main donjon. Inside the main donjon is a great hall, solar, several bedrooms, bathrooms (with hot and cold running water) and various other workrooms, a mage's lab etc. Everything is kept clean and tidy apparently by permanent Unseen Servant spells. In the great hall built into a wall is what appears to be a cupboard that is 5 feet long, 2 feet high and 2 feet deep. This is actually the interior of the chest (and only one of the doors can be open at a time).

The keep is on an island completely ringed with cliffs with a single channel leading into a sheltered cove, the keep situated on a rocky escarpment projecting into the cove. The channel into the cove is well hidden and concealed by an illusion.

The island's climate is like that of a mediterranean island, and is situated in an freshwater sea with a reasonably sized village on the nearest shore. The locals speak a dialect of Common that is difficult at first for the adventurers to comprehend, and they realize that the time is about 2 hours ahead of where they initially find the chest.

tesral
06-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Probably the most interesting magical item I've come up with appears to be a large chest, about 5' long x 2' wide x 2' deep. It has four iron strap hinges across the top, a large wrought iron ring at each end and a large wrought iron lock plate on the front. It appears to be made up of a stack of 20 slabs of wood about 2" thick.

I had a set of trunks I use as a McGuffin once. An Elven Sage hired the party to escort her. She carried everything thing in three magical trunks. Top and all four sides of each trunk opened and each could access the full space within the trunk.

The problem was these trunks could not be stored in either a bag of holding or a portable hole. They were extradimensional spaces themselves. The party humped these things half way across the world.

Shadow Dweller
06-18-2008, 11:20 AM

It can be opened with the proper key, but if you pull the key out part way and turn it, the chest seems to unfold itself like an accordian. If a wall is nearby it becomes pair of heavy wooden doors, 10'x10' with large wrought iron strap hinges, a wrought iron ring on each door and a large wrought iron lock plate.

Through the door is what appears to be the entry tunnel of a gatehouse, lined with arrow slits and murder holes and another set of double doors at the other end. Through the other set of doors is a modest keep with a bailey complete with outbuildings such as a smithy, kitchen, buttery, stables, and the main donjon. Inside the main donjon is a great hall, solar, several bedrooms, bathrooms (with hot and cold running water) and various other workrooms, a mage's lab etc. Everything is kept clean and tidy apparently by permanent Unseen Servant spells. In the great hall built into a wall is what appears to be a cupboard that is 5 feet long, 2 feet high and 2 feet deep. This is actually the interior of the chest (and only one of the doors can be open at a time).

The keep is on an island completely ringed with cliffs with a single channel leading into a sheltered cove, the keep situated on a rocky escarpment projecting into the cove. The channel into the cove is well hidden and concealed by an illusion.

The island's climate is like that of a mediterranean island, and is situated in an freshwater sea with a reasonably sized village on the nearest shore. The locals speak a dialect of Common that is difficult at first for the adventurers to comprehend, and they realize that the time is about 2 hours ahead of where they initially find the chest.
If you don't mind, I'm going to steal this for use in my campaign. This is awesome!

Aidan
06-18-2008, 02:36 PM
If you don't mind, I'm going to steal this for use in my campaign. This is awesome!

Go right ahead. I stole it from LoonyToons :) The details are relatively easy to vary and one thing I didn't say before is that it must be up against a wall to work, otherwise, it unfolds part way, then folds back up. The chest itself is bulky and heavy and weighs 100 pounds no matter what is placed inside it. It's not something the party can take into a dungeon. But it is something they can haul around in a wagon from town to town.

Shadow Dweller
06-18-2008, 03:38 PM
It's going to be used as a "portal", with a sister item, that leads to one of the worlds sanctuaries. I'm making it an artifact by rarity type thing. :)

upidstay
06-18-2008, 03:55 PM
I might just hafta swipe that one myself. Very cool.

Kilrex
06-18-2008, 04:35 PM
I recently watched Labrynth again. I decided to add the door from the oubliette as a minor artifact. They can place it against a man made surface and open it. Open it on the right side, leads to a 'Closet of Holding' and opening it on the leads to opposite side of the man made surface. Was going to have it open to other side of whatever it was paced against, but then my brain started working again.

spotlight
06-18-2008, 05:04 PM
One of the first groups I played with, one of the characters had picked up something before I joined and was always walking around saying the same stupid phrase over and over. It naver made since to me until I saw the movie about the yellow sub many years latter.

So, I had a hole in my head instead of my pocket....

Goldshadow
06-18-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm not, I'm not, I'M NOT!!! I am not going to bring up real arrow physics. IT'S A FREAKING MAGIC ITEM!!!

No catgirls were harmed in the production of this post.

tesral
06-19-2008, 08:35 AM
No catgirls were harmed in the production of this post.

Oh well in that THAT case. Ah, the arrow would go right through him they do that you know, go right thought things, full penetration. So if the arrow stops in mid air in the charging warrior they are likely to slide the thing completely through their body. So greater damage of course.

Now if they are wearing armor that will tend to stop the arrow, or bolt. But with the shorter bolt you could well get the problem that they have now totally embedded the bolt inside themselves. Nothing sticking out and they just hang there and bleed.

(How many did I get?)

Shadow Dweller
06-19-2008, 12:27 PM
27. Some of those were double whammies...once was a triple, just don't ask.

tesral
06-19-2008, 03:45 PM
27. Some of those were double whammies...once was a triple, just don't ask.

I have GOT to get that scoring system. :D

Shadow Dweller
06-20-2008, 12:19 PM
I have GOT to get that scoring system. :D
Sorry, it's double top secret "R15" classified. If I told you you would turn into a cargirl, then beforced to listen to a lecure on how phisics effects the world of D&D, at the end of which, knowning that many of your newly found kindred had been wiped out of xistence in a most horrible fassion, I would be forced to tell you the last fact of the lecture, after which your head would asplode...

For your saftey, I think I need to keep it to my self.

tesral
06-20-2008, 10:43 PM
In one campaign, our party Psion's Psi-crystal was malicious and quite tempermental. It was about the time that it started stealing its master's Psi-points and manifesting legs to become mobile that the Psion reached for the Cleric's mace and smashed the thing to pieces. Yup...he killed his own familiar...it was far safer that way...

Getting a little too familiar.

Webhead
06-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Getting a little too familiar.

Yep. Whereas my Wizard had a great relationship with his familiar. Good old Milo (the familiar) was very loyal...and he had more hit points than most members of the party. :)

tesral
06-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Yep. Whereas my Wizard had a great relationship with his familiar. Good old Milo (the familiar) was very loyal...and he had more hit points than most members of the party. :)

Familiars don't get used much in my game. Lack of interest, never mind the 2e and earlier rules made familiars suck to have. It's a self perpetuating situation. Familiars suck, so no one wants familiars so they don't ask me to alter the familiar rules so familiars won't suck.

Something to address by the by.

nijineko
06-21-2008, 07:25 PM
i was once caught in a situation where i was going to die. period. my familiar was caught in an evard's black tentacles, spell... i was taking damage (and dishing it out) in a mage duel... well i just didn't have enough hp to survive another hit, or the death of my familiar. (horrible con score virutally guarenteed my failure of the save.) the characte died, the familiar actually lived. ^^

Necrite
06-23-2008, 07:27 AM
My favorite magic item I ever placed in an adventure was a Xiphoid Xebec. It's a magic sword from a really old original D&D supplement that I forget the name of. When found, it appears as a regular +1 short sword. Enchantments hide all other functions of the blade, but if it is dropped into water at least 20' deep, it transforms into a 50' long, two sailed ship. This one was modified - it was crewed by 10 skeletons. (Not undead, animated by the Animate Object spell)

The party's rogue carried it for over a year without ever discovering it's additional powers, but for some strange reason, he kept rolling 20s when using it, so he was still using a "regular" +1 sword as his off-hand weapon around level 12.

Webhead
06-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Familiars don't get used much in my game. Lack of interest, never mind the 2e and earlier rules made familiars suck to have. It's a self perpetuating situation. Familiars suck, so no one wants familiars so they don't ask me to alter the familiar rules so familiars won't suck.

Something to address by the by.

In the past, I had experienced much of the same in most D&D games. Familiars were "pocket npcs". You took a familiar (as of 3e) to get the bonuses, stashed it in your bag and tended to forget it was even there.

Milo was a very pleasant surprise and I encouraged his active presence the game. I actually wanted my familiar to be involved in our adventures and he turned out to be very useful on more than one occasion (it even provoked shocked comments from the party along the lines of, "Milo is one tough little bastard").

I had taken several of the "Familiar-boosting" spells which helped turn him into what he was. Plus, he was a badger which meant any time he felt himself or his master (me) threatened, he would go ballistic and I would often set him loose. There was one time he pulled our butts out of the fire after several of us went down, distracting the enemies long enough to buy the Cleric time to deliver some much needed healing...

Then there was the time in the Druid-grove when I cast a Fly spell on him so he could chase birds. The "diplomatic" PCs would be negotiating with the (somewhat snooty) Druid and every now and again a badger and a sparrow would zip by, engaged in a dogfight...:D

tesral
06-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Then there was the time in the Druid-grove when I cast a Fly spell on him so he could chase birds. The "diplomatic" PCs would be negotiating with the (somewhat snooty) Druid and every now and again a badger and a sparrow would zip by, engaged in a dogfight...:D

Ka-Snerk!!! I love it. Good use of a critter.

Right now we have a ferret in the party. Not exactly a familiar, but is following the Shaman who's totem is the weasel. I keep forgetting the beast, but it's still there. It's a long polymorphed man (Don't piss off the witch dude) at this point the polymorph is permanent and cannot be dispelled.

We also have a term for critters that come and go as remembered. "Raven Like". For the Raven familiar of the magician in Order of the Stick (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0569.html) that is never there unless someone recalls it.

Webhead
06-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Ka-Snerk!!! I love it. Good use of a critter.

Thanks. I miss that game at times. Miss the character too.

We also have a term for critters that come and go as remembered. "Raven Like". For the Raven familiar of the magician in Order of the Stick (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0569.html) that is never there unless someone recalls it.

Yep. Order of the Stick is greatness! Haven't read it for a couple of months now, but between it and 8-bit Theater I was getting my "fantasy-satire" jollies. :)

Right now we have a ferret in the party. Not exactly a familiar, but is following the Shaman who's totem is the weasel. I keep forgetting the beast, but it's still there. It's a long polymorphed man (Don't piss off the witch dude) at this point the polymorph is permanent and cannot be dispelled.

In an old 2e game, our group had a similar situation. We encountered a leech (with a tiny red cape) who was actually a Wizard who had been more-or-less permanently polymorphed into that form by his rival. He became sort of the Bard's unofficial familiar as he always rode on his shoulder (and would occasionally drink his blood for sustenance, much to my character's disgust). We had a lot of fun with that NPC in the party and he was surprisingly still capable of casting a few spells with the help of his tiny, leech-sized hands. ;)

agoraderek
06-23-2008, 06:47 PM
i had an elf mu/thief (1st ed incarnation of hatheg) who used his familiar as an accomplice in his "second story" jobs. maxitolius would also use shadowkitty to "appropriate" treasures he didnt think other party members "deserved". this came to an end when the party fighter discovered the cat going through his backpack when he woke up to find a convenient tree, and grabbed the cat by his scruff, placed a dagger to its throat, and told maxitolius "pixies, my [posterior], you got some 'splainin' to do..."

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-23-2008, 11:43 PM
In the early days, a Ring of Sustenance was pretty sought after. Once obtained, it was never sold.

Thoth-Amon

dalenvec
06-26-2008, 05:02 PM
first a little history

The first game i played in 3.5, i had a LN monk.
My party was hired to find a criminal who had been raping and murdering people for kicks and giggles (we where i think level 4), any way long story short we kill the guy. the rest of the party doesn't even bother to check his body for stuff (granted this was the first time they played and we've been playing for maybe 2 hours). me being a little more experiance did.

they guy had an amulet in his pocket but it was broken into three pieces, and was magical, i wasnt a caster but you could feel the magic in it when you held all the pieces.
not having a caster in the group, and my character being raised a slave didnt know how to read or any concept of magic at all. so everytime we hit a town i would head to the library and teach myself to read so i could figure out what it was.

long story short i figured it out and how to make it work
when the three pieces where combined and the command word spoken when touching skin
it became a special suit of armor
it was a +8 fullplate with no Dex restrictions, check penelty or spell failure, and was treated as light armor
-it allowed the user to fly at will (100ft perfect manuverability)
-gave DR 30/Silver
-Immunities to Acid and posion
-wearer was immune to gas attacks and could breath underwater.

i looked like liquid obsidion and completly covered the body, but underneath clothing and other equipment
donning the armor takes 2 rounds and does not provoke AoO
undonning also takes 2 rounds and can be done at will

only down side is you had to make a DC 45 will save(natty 20 rule didnt apply to this armor) when donning and every 24hrs after or be taken over by the armor which was CE. you could attempt to regain control every 24 hours after a failed save (DC 45)

if killed the armor would revert back to its broken amulet form, but can be reformed in the same manner as before.

any way i didnt figure out how to make it work till like level 25, and it took a wish granted by a god for me to actually pass the will save.

dunno loved it because it was the first magic item i actually got and the quest i went through to make it work.

nijineko
06-28-2008, 02:50 PM
now that the character from my previous post is alive again, and reunited with the familiar... we continue with our adventuring. our familiar tends to be used as a short range scout, and also as a message link for when the party has to split up. the familiar had a notable opportunity to save our butts, when we sent our cleric off on an errand, got bored, and decided to do 'just one more raid' on the fortress we were tackling....

not expecting any trouble, we left the familiar outside at the meeting point. whereupon the sorcerer promptly got the party into deeeeeeep kimchi. we had been doing successful hit and runs hiding in a rope trick in-between strikes. well, when the giants couldn't find us, (we found out later) they built a wall blocking off the whole end of the dungeon we were in... (lesson one: always have two ways out!)

the sorcerer being an elvish type was left on guard duty, due to him only needing 2 hrs of rest what with his race and the handy ring he had. he noticed a lot of smoke outside of the rope trick... and decided that it would probably fade away by morning (extended duration rope trick) and that we could out last it. and he thought it would be best to let everyone be fully rested to deal with whatever it was, so he didn't wake anyone up!! (lesson two: never leave the wis 6 character on sentry-go.)

turned out the giants had built a fire inside the wall intending to smoke us out. the trickle of fresh air coming down the forge flue prevented it from going completely out, (the fire was built well down the hall from the flue, and the forge had been extinguished,) but the whole area was filled with smoke.

after an extremely ardouous ordeal involving every buffing and protection effect we could come up with, a dwarven cleric with lots of stone shapes to widen out the flue, giant blood for lubricant as we didn't even know a grease spell, summoned celestial bison to clear the rubble piled on top of the flue shaft, a sonic blast effect to bust the metal grill at the top, a hallucinatory terrain to freak out persuers and slow them down, desperate blind-man's-bluff combat in a sphere of darkness while we tried to run away, and a very clever familiar who managed to convey our predicament to the returning cleric via charades and mime, we managed to escape, barely. (lesson three: never skimp on the basics.)

the familiar, a rather small species of owl, was renamed from mousehunter, to Lord Mousehunter. shortly after which, the sorcerer found out that his familiar was actually female (he never paid much attention before and had just assumed....) but the name still stuck. the entire party coddles her. well deserved, i'd say, for without Lord Mousehunter, we would not have been able to escape.

Ramzei
07-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Prison of Zai'ig: A small birdcage looking item that had the ability to imprison any creature for any length of time as chosen by the user. The target would be able to communicate (assuming a shared laguage is present) and can see outside of the cage (another assuption being the prison is uncovered). In order to use the prison the user had to have possession of the item (mine was kept in a pouch inside my cloak), use the command word and the target creature (creature, or any other animate(d) being) would be imprisoned. Only one creature could be imprisoned at a time, otherwise the being currently imprisoned would replace the new being. So I always had a regular chicken in mine. It would waste a few spells from the opposition from time to time since I had just seemingly turned their friend into a chicken. There was no size restriction (an ancient Celestial Dragon once resided in mine).

The Ebon Flame: This was from our Nethril campaign, obviously too powerful for most worlds. It acted as an amulet of non-detection, granted 15% MR vs artifacts, acted as a luckstone up to once per day, and granted ESP at will. If touching the Ebon Flame it granted the power of Ultravision, Clairvoyence if held to the eye, light 5x per day and made the user immune to fear. The artifact also granted a 6 round timestop (as per spell) 2x per week. A save vs spell had to be made or a level was lost forever (anything short of a God's intervention would not reverse this). And lastly, once per week 75k gold pieces of gems needed to be consumed by the artifact for it to function.

Cursed scroll from a 1st ed. module (Castle Amber if I recall): Upon reading the scroll the reader's head would suddenly be that of a dog (there was a way to remove this and it may have been a specific breed's head but I do not recall). How it was used was generally comical.
We delivered a General's orders (we were figting on the other side) to one of his Field Marshalls. They were used as specific instructions to the location of a treasure map (let's just say she used to be attractive). A stage actor refusing to give us information prior to a performance needed to read a "decree from a local lord compelling him to give us the information." He felt that the "show must go on" and gave the info after we reverted him to his old self. That Lord was not very happy with us, but that gave us a solid RP session.

joshuadunlow
07-07-2008, 09:42 AM
I have made quite a few different magical items during my run of 2nd edition AD&D, so i'll name a few here.

Strider's Elven Flute.
A flute that when played grants the same calm animals check as a Nymph can, simulate a pipes of sounding, and once per week. Let the players travel to a pocket fae realm, where they can rest and relax for up to 2 days.

Mantine Leather
This leather armor, provides an AC of 6 when worn. But the player doesn't take damage unless he is hit by a magical weapon. In 3rd edition, this would probably equate to 15/+1 damage resistance.

Shard of Life.
This shard can restore the dead with 25% of their normal hitpoints, once and once only. After that it disintegrates. There is a 5% chance, that the god of death shall appear and not only take the dead person back with him. But take the users soul as well.

Instruments of Power.
Each instrument acts like a Ring of Elemental Command, Flute commanding Air, Drums controlling Earth, Lute commanding Water, and the Viol controlling fire. When all instruments work in tandem, they can the ability to Control weather at 20th level ability.

Potion of Restoration.
This potion has three uses only, but the imbiber can choose between the following effects.
1. Restore Lost ability scores from curses, drains, or natural causes.
2. Heal ALL hitpoints
3. Cure Blindness, Deafness, diseases, feeblemind, insanity, infection, infestation, poisoning, and/or rot.
4. Restore normal age, or reduce the age of a drinker by 6+1d4 years.

nijineko
07-11-2008, 09:13 PM
i should dig out my collection of oddball items from my old notes....

BigUgly
07-13-2008, 04:31 PM
It has to have been at least 20 years since I introduced a special sword to my group.
I can't remember the exact circumstances in how the party obtained the weapon.
It was a beautifully crafted bastard sword, with runes ectched in the blade, several gems in the pommel. All-in-all just a extremely well made sword.
One that any warrior or knight would love to have on their side.
None of its special abilities could be detected by magical means.
Now the fun part.
The sword could and would communicate with its wielder telepathiclly.
In the voice of an very excited 10yr old.

PC: What type of sword our you?
Sword: My name is Bringer! I can bring it for you!
PC: What do you bring?
Sword: I'm not telling, but I can bring it for you? Want me to bring it?

Well after an extended amount of time of the sword repeatedly asking the PC to let it bring what it brings. The PC will finally consent to let Bringer, bring whatever he brings.
Thats when the fun begins.
Bringer is a:
Intelligent +3/+6 vs Evil Outsiders.(Demons/Devils). Bastard Sword
Dectect demons/devils within 200ft. Only binding of the summoned creatures was that they could not leave the plane they were summonned too.
That only function is to bring random amounts of demons or devils, to the PC's location so he can help kill them.

Unfortunitly you usually only get to use the sword once with a group. When my group of 10-12th lvl PC's finally caved into Bringers request they where in a High Bazaar of one of the largest towns in my game. So I rolled a few random summons charts I had created. And 2 Pit Fiends and 6 Ice Demons. Where unleashed on the Prime plane under noone's control. The battle and chase throuout the city by the PC's and the various guards and special forces of the city was a blast. After about 6 hours of wanton destruction and half of the city being destoyied. The monsters had all been tracked down and slayed. Shortly afterwards the PC's where baned from the city with only the clothes on their backs.

To this day when I talk to any of my old gaming buddys they complain about that "Damn Paladin, of Eric's" Without him we could have just leaft. But no he had to confess to the King what really happen... lol.. Makes me laugh everytime.

nijineko
07-14-2008, 09:33 PM
amusing. =D

i found one of my oddities. i present for you the Mirror Sword:

the original Mirror Sword was said to have been found in a hall of mirrors. the hall was described as a large cavernous area with tall tall pillars every so many feet in a hexagonal pattern. between every pillar was either a mirror or the illusion of one. in every direction there was reflected a pedestal, but as one traversed the hall, only on occasion was a pedestal actually come upon between the pillars. one of those pedestals had a sword thrust into it. the sword itself did not have a reflection.

in form, it is a short sword of highly polished, but simple design. upon close inspection faint traces of diminuitive scroll work can be seen along the edges of the blade and guard. it holds a minor enchantment for striking well. (equates a +2 short sword) the real power of the sword is discovered whenever it is drawn and held in one hand, with nothing in the other hand, including shield. when this is done, an illusionary duplicate of the Mirror Sword appears in the wielders opposite hand. if there is anything in held in the other hand the magic will not activate.

when weilded in combat the swords can switch places seamlessly as an immediate action. thus opponents can never tell which is the real and which is the illusion. as such, if the opponent has been struck by the real sword first, the illusionary sword will deal subdual damage as a sword of its type. finding a way to overcoming this illusion is particularly difficult, considering that the swords can swap places. despite the illusionary nature of the duplicate, weilding both swords does incur the two weapon penalties, as normal.

effects that cancel or destroy illusions can temporarily suppress the illusion for a round, unless the duration of the effect is longer than that. true seeing can reveal which is which, but it grants no bonus in combat as the swords can be switched with a moments thought, even just before a strike connects. thus even someone with true seeing can be fooled by a cunning and knowledgable wielder, under the right circumstances.

it has been speculated that peering through the illusionary sword has some effect, but others claim that the weilder of the time was simply examining the duplicate to see if it had the same scrollwork as the real one. the current wielder is supposed to be an elven archer who seldom uses it. rumors persist of larger versions, but none have ever come forward to confirm this.