PDA

View Full Version : D&D 4th Edition Excerpts: Racial Benefits

PnP News Bot
05-02-2008, 12:01 AM
http://www.wizards.com/books/images/dnd_logo_small.jpg

Check out this new article Wizards of the Coast posted recently:

4th Edition Excerpts: Racial Benefits (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080502a)

From a look at classes, we move on to races, and why they matter more than ever in 4th Edition. To answer that question, we turn to Rob Heinsoo.

Farcaster
05-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Sorry to say, but I am not impressed. Those perks were hardly wowing -or- "enviable." But beyond that, I don't understand this sentiment from the designers that race should play some significant role in setting your character apart from others of the same class but different race. Personally, I don't choose a race because of the advantages it gives or doesn't give. I choose a race because it fits my character concept. There are significant cultural differences between elves, humans, dwarves, halflings and gnomes that are simply enjoyable to play.

Its not all about the "statistics," Mr. WotC Designer.

GBVenkman
05-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Sorry to say, but I am not impressed. Those perks were hardly wowing -or- "enviable." But beyond that, I don't understand this sentiment from the designers that race should play some significant role in setting your character apart from others of the same class but different race. Personally, I don't choose a race because of the advantages it gives or doesn't give. I choose a race because it fits my character concept. There are significant cultural differences between elves, humans, dwarves, halflings and gnomes that are simply enjoyable to play.

Its not all about the "statistics," Mr. WotC Designer.

I agree, but it seems like a lot of the racial benefits aren't automatic and require you to actually go out and choose that feat.

For some reason, I like mankind, so I always opt for playing a human..

fmitchell
05-02-2008, 01:58 PM
You can't play a gnome anymore. Now Gnomes are monsters ... raar.

But yeah, it's yet more feats but with racial restrictions. Even the Human feat was kind of underwhelming: a +3 when you use Action Points. +3 is significant for a beginning character, but when your BAB is +10 it's going to matter a bit less.

(Contrast to Aspects in FATE, where you get a +2 on any die roll by spending a Fate Point and convincing the GM that said Aspect could make a difference. More or less same effect as a lot of these +2/+3 feats -- FATE uses 4d3-8 rather than 1d20 -- but far less picky mechanical bits.)

In the exceedingly unlikely event that I ever run D&D 4e, I'd probably insist all characters were human, but let them take racial feats that fit their character concept (e.g. a small-d dwarf (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarfism) could easily take Dwarf or Halfling feats, a ranger could take certain Elf feats, etc.)

ronpyatt
05-05-2008, 07:17 PM
On the contrary - I must say that these racial changes are very sweet. Subtle and significant. It appears to ease one of my complaints about cookie cutter characters. Well done.