PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect?

Wolvenone
04-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Has anybody though about Trying to run Mass effect as a table top or even pbp rpg. It's base on d20 like most bioware games. I think it would be fun to play in an almost mass effect wold letting the Gm and players colour it with there own styles and giving different personality to a very cool concept. What you folks think?

Inquisitor Tremayne
04-28-2008, 12:10 PM
YES!!!!

I have totally thought about it!

I would probably use Star Wars Saga Edition rules for it though, with a rehashing of the combat system to try to make it more like the vg.

I just beat it over the weekend and now need to do all the side missions. One thing that might port over well to star wars is the weapons. Seeing how they are all just better versions of the previous weapon/armor it can be worked up pretty well.

And the biotech would work perfectly using the Force Power rules!

Hmm....

I didn't think it would be SO easy! I just might start working on it right away!!

Wolvenone
04-28-2008, 08:01 PM
I would use d20 modern and future give the players 5 lvl.s to start and import force powers from starwars.

Inquisitor Tremayne
05-01-2008, 01:25 PM
I am not that familiar with d20 modern but any d20 system could be made to work.

Have you started on it?

Tamerath
07-21-2008, 04:58 PM
God I loved Mass Effect! I think it'd make a great pnp rpg. Keep me posted!

Webhead
07-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Haven't gotten to play Mass Effect yet. Of course, having an X-Box would probably help...;)

Tamerath
07-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Mass Effect is the ENTIRE REASON you should own an XBoX 360 my friend...it's THE BESTEST GAME EVAAAR. lol Seriously though, it is cool.

Webhead
07-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Mass Effect is the ENTIRE REASON you should own an XBoX 360 my friend...it's THE BESTEST GAME EVAAAR. lol Seriously though, it is cool.

I bought a Wii a few months ago and have loved it so far. But unfortunately that means buying an X-Box in the near future is pretty much out of the question...at current market prices anyway. Far too many things to suck away my money as it is...

Tamerath
07-25-2008, 12:41 AM
*mutters something about lousy gas prices at the pumps*

Mass Effect is great. If you've ever get the chance to play any of bioware's games I think you'd like them.

Webhead
07-25-2008, 08:35 AM
*mutters something about lousy gas prices at the pumps*

Mass Effect is great. If you've ever get the chance to play any of bioware's games I think you'd like them.

Oh, I do like Bioware muchly. They have a great lineage of quality RPGs numbering among my favorites in the genre. I love Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, played Neverwinter Nights (but thought it was only so-so), and also I've enjoyed (but not finished) KotOR and Jade Empire (I was very close to the end of Jade Empire last time I played though).

gdmcbride
07-25-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm currently playing Mass Effect in its PC-DVD incarnation. Great fun.

If I was going to model it as an RPG, Star Wars Saga does seem a natural fit.

The CRPG has classes and levels. Joining the Specters sounds a lot like a prestige class to me. You advance in hit points. Biotics equals the Force with a few quirky restrictions. Replace hyperdrives with mass effect drives that require the gates.

The tech in the game would require a little work. Star Wars purposefully disdains the 'gear makes the hero' philosophy and in Mass Effect, cutting edge toys are crucial.

But my main problem with Saga -- could it really model the grim, break-cover-and-die intensity of the Mass Effect fights?

It would certainly be interesting to attempt...

Gary

Webhead
07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
But my main problem with Saga -- could it really model the grim, break-cover-and-die intensity of the Mass Effect fights?

It would certainly be interesting to attempt...

Gary

Cover is definately *very* beneficial in Saga especially against area-effect and autofire weapons, and most weapons can dish out some painful damage, but the system may not call upon cover as much as you might want for something like that.

My suggestion if you wanted to tweak Saga to really stress the importance of seeking cover in a fight is to borrow a concept from Cyberpunk 2020:

Against ranged attacks, a target does not use their Reflex Defense score. Instead, the attack is assigned a difficulty number based on the range to the target (possible example DCs: Point Blank= DC 10, Short Range= DC 15, Medium Range= DC 20, Long Range= DC 25). Use this DC instead of applying the normal range penalties for weapons. If the target is wearing armor, they may choose to use their base 10 plus armor bonus or the normal range DC, whichever is higher.

This way, not taking cover makes you far more vulnerable to being hit by ranged attacks, and cover becomes even more valuable as it will add +5 or +10 to the DC to be hit (from cover and improved cover respectively) and will help protect the target against grenades and autofire weapons.

james.browningii
07-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Haven't gotten to play Mass Effect yet. Of course, having an X-Box would probably help...;)

I feel for you. I'd like one too but we just had a baby girl 4 months ago. I joke that she's my Xbox,WII and PS3 all rolled into one! :lol: I call that system the Super poop-com and I just got the teething and whining add on called drool wars! :biggrin:

Oh well, there's always that awesome tax return next year! :D

Total Nerd v2.135 (final)
11-24-2008, 02:32 PM
am i the only one here who did not really enjoy ME?

maybe im just weird, but the way it relied so much on actual aiming and shooting rather than chances to hit and whatnot, did not resonate with me.

Total Nerd v2.135 (final)
11-24-2008, 02:34 PM
but having said that,

I would LOVE to see ME given the Saga d20 treatment! saga d20 would be perfect.

you would have to change a lot, like the whole way mass effect deals with equip-able items and armor (a scheme I did not favor)

Soft Serve
12-03-2008, 02:46 PM
I didn't like how you were expected to take cover constantly in Mass Effect, but there was no way to blind-fire the gun you were holding. Like just aiming the gun over the top of the cover and shooting or off the side.

Also Mass Effect was the game I was playing when my last xbox gave me the red ring of death...:mad:

Cypherinthesystem
12-03-2008, 03:07 PM
would love to see Mass effect written out, but the GM would have to be real stellar to keep the story real good.