PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica Questions

Dimthar
04-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Some questions / theories to those more educated ...t

1) Is there any hint in the series that humanity did not start on Earth?

2) If humanity started in Earth, Do we assume that BSG Humans descend from Earth space-travelers?

3) If Humans believe in "Greek Gods, Any hint in the series that BSG Humans are from Atlantis?

Farcaster
04-28-2008, 01:19 AM
I have not watched the original series, but I can answer those questions based on the reinvisioned version. The BSG series has definitely suggested that humans did not originate on earth. According to the BSG mythology, there were thirteen tribes that left the planet Kobol. Twelve of those formed the colonies in the series and one took a "different path," and settled on the planet Earth, presumably cutting all ties with the other colonies. Considering the amount of time that has passed since the colonies left Kobol, I think it would easily fit that the Earth referred to in the series is the present day earth -- no more advanced that we are today. But, it is also conceivable that this reunion between the thirteen colonies at Earth might occur some point in Earth's future.

tesral
04-28-2008, 10:00 AM
That much is unchanged from the Original.

Dimthar
08-12-2008, 05:49 PM
So they got to Earth ...

Like we say in my country: CHALE! (Which for the purpose of this post means... w*f*)

nijineko
08-13-2008, 08:47 PM
interestingly enough, the original series was written by one of my people. sadly most of the in-jokes did not survive into the new series, which despite interesting storyline and nifty sfx, is too hollywoodized for my taste. plus the loss of the in-jokes really kills it for me. sigh. maybe if they come out with a series of novels, i'll read those. that and play the freespace-total-coversion-bsg-mod.

anyway, i watched the series religiously when i was younger. (snicker. sorry, in-joke.)

earthlings were the lost thirteenth tribe, and interestingly the only ones with fingerprints. geminis had two hearts, and there were other minor oddities with each sub-race of humanity. there was a deliberate psuedo-egyptian theme to ships and equipment, this was supposed to represent the level of technology common at the time the tribe split off.

so, earthlings are descended from bsg humans. this should address one and two.

the whole greek god bit was something that has been completely added to the new bsg series and has absolutely no place in the original. in the original, the dominant religion was worship of the "Lords of Kobol". this mysterious super race occasionally showed up in highly advanced ships that could be completely undetectable. they would snag a bsg human alien-abduction-style, deliver some message, and drop them off without proof of anything... apparently testing not only faith, but obedience or some such. there were some humorous episodes based around the lack of evidence bit.

much of the original series concerned finding earth in hopes of help. it was quite cool that the series didn't stop there, but continued on with them attempting to subtly bring earth's technology up to speed without revealing themselves, once they found earth. in between trying to not get caught, breaking some bsg human out of jail who did get caught, and blowing away the occasional cylon patrol who stumbled across them, the rest of the episodes progressed.

as for any possible atlantean connection, we will have to wait until they find earth in the new series and they reveal whatever history they will then. if you want it different in your game universe, however.... ^^