PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Surprises

Freejack
04-23-2008, 06:49 PM
My wife surprised me with a few interesting presents today (birthday was Sunday).

Malleus Monstrorum (Call of Cthulhu)
The Zombie Survival Guide

And weirdly enough

Day by Day Armageddon

I really didn't expect any of them :D

Carl

Webhead
04-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Very cool! My birthday was April 8th and my wife surprised me with the Dresden Files TV Series DVDs! I had been borrowing them from a friend, but it was very nice to have my own copy. She knows how much I love the books and apparently researched the existence of the show. I was happy! If only the RPG was already out...she probably would have gotten me that too! Wives are great!

knightserpent
04-24-2008, 09:13 AM
My birthday was on the 19th. My wife got me the Avatar: the Last Airbender books one and two. And my Dad got me a Wacom tablet.

Freejack
04-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Happy birthday all :)

I read the first chapter of Day by Day and it's actually quite interesting. I'd recommend it to any folks who are interested in good zombie "fiction" :D At least so far.

Carl

Farcaster
04-24-2008, 01:29 PM
And my Dad got me a Wacom tablet.

Ah, an artist amongst us perhaps?

knightserpent
04-24-2008, 02:38 PM
I have my moments.

Webhead
04-24-2008, 09:07 PM
My birthday was on the 19th. My wife got me the Avatar: the Last Airbender books one and two.

Oooh...Avatar! Book One was pure awesomeness and I'm chomping at the bit to watch Book Two. I've been really tempted to run a Wushu campaign based on Avatar. Man, I love that show!

knightserpent
04-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Oooh...Avatar! Book One was pure awesomeness and I'm chomping at the bit to watch Book Two. I've been really tempted to run a Wushu campaign based on Avatar. Man, I love that show!

If you haven't seen any of book two, I cannot stress how much you need to go to youtube and watch the episode titled The Blind Bandit. That... is pure awesomeness among awesomeness!

cplmac
04-27-2008, 08:02 PM
When you are talking about Avatar, is the cartoon show on PBS the same as the books?

knightserpent
04-28-2008, 08:21 AM
It is the cartoon show. Each chapter of the story is broken up into books. Book 1 Water, is where the Avatar learned water bending. Book 2 Earth, is where he learned earth bending. Book 3 Fire, which is due to come out in May, is where he will learn and master fire bending. And Book 4 Air, is where he will save the world.

Webhead
04-28-2008, 10:13 AM
It is the cartoon show. Each chapter of the story is broken up into books. Book 1 Water, is where the Avatar learned water bending. Book 2 Earth, is where he learned earth bending. Book 3 Fire, which is due to come out in May, is where he will learn and master fire bending. And Book 4 Air, is where he will save the world.

Indeed. And this show is pure, concentrated fantastic! I admire its ability to appeal to both young and...*ahem*...not-so young viewers at the same time. It is just the kind of gripping and meaningful story-telling that people of any age can appreciate and be moved by.

I am SO going to run an Avatar Wushu game soon! I've even made my own custom characters sheets! Looking very spiff! :D

cplmac
04-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Have seen the Avatar episodes that pertained to books 1 and 3 on PBS. Was rather nice to see that they included a lesson in each "story" for the younger viewers to learn also. It does look like it would make for an awsome rpg.

Webhead
04-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Probably gonna end up picking up Avatar: Book 2 on the way home from work today (at the wife's suggestion, no less) and much rejoicing shall commence.

Yes, an awesome RPG it would be. After much contemplation on the subject, Wushu seems perfectly suited as a baseline for the game with a little tweakery built on top to support "bending". I hope I can convince my players to letting me run it to see if they are intrigued.

mrken
07-01-2008, 09:40 PM
My son has been using this Avatar series as a premise for a rpg. Sort of DnD, sort of not.

Webhead
07-01-2008, 09:49 PM
My son has been using this Avatar series as a premise for a rpg. Sort of DnD, sort of not.

Cool. I did pick up the Book 2 DVDs but haven't gotten very far into them yet. Very good stuff.

boulet
07-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Probably gonna end up picking up Avatar: Book 2
Book 2 == season 2 ? Does it make sense to start with the book2 DVDs (I saw some at blockbuster) ?

Webhead
07-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Book 2 == season 2 ? Does it make sense to start with the book2 DVDs (I saw some at blockbuster) ?

Each book represents 1 season of the show. Book 1: Water, Book 2: Earth, Book 3: Fire, Book 4: Air.

I would highly recommend watching the episodes in sequence because there is a very definate sense that each episode is building upon the last. That said, if you are just looking to get a feel for the show in general, any episode should do. But for the full experience, start from the beginning.