PDA

View Full Version : An RP tale...

Kilrex
04-23-2008, 11:18 AM
We are about to start a Dragonlance campaign. I wanted to start with Greater Magic Fang cast on my animal companion using Permanency. We have 19k staring funds, 7th lvl per DMG. The Permanency spell cost 10125 and since this was a significant portion of my startup. I had to have a RP story to cover why anyone would cast Permanent Greater Magic Fang on a Large Wolf animal companion for a Kender Druid. So the story follows:

Wolfies Sharp Teeth - a tale by Benny, wolf petter

So there we (me, Benny, and my wolf, Wolfie) was just wandering down a path through the woods. We were on a way to the Farmer to pay him some money, apparently Wolfie ate a chicken or a dozen. But a growing wolf needs to eat you know. As usual I was petting wolfie while looking for pretty leaves for him to wear (leafweave barding). When all of a sudden Wolfie started being bad and growling. Next thing I know he is running and me belly down on the saddle. Don't know how I got there, of course. It was a very nice saddle I noticed. I had found it on a horse that Wolfie was eating. The leather was so soft and the straps were braided leather, the kind it is easy to weave plants into. I like the little purple flowers with the scratchy stems because they stick to things nicely.

My thoughts were soon interupted as Wolfie came to a halt and started growling at some ghostly thing (Shadow Wight). I was not sure what it was, but it was staring at some man in the tree with red clothing on. It was the nice bright red, not the dark clay red by the stream where Wolfie likes to go fishing. Not the kind of fishing I do with a string and a grub, but he uses his teath and of course ends up wet and muddy and then I have to pet him for a real long time to make him soft again. Well, Wolfie tried biting the strange ghosty thing and his teeth didn't do anything. Strange I thought, maybe it is like pudding which I had left sitting out all night before eating in the morning. I tried eating it with a spoon but it was too hard for the spoon, so I used my sharp knife to cut off chunks. Thats it, I reached over and petted Wolfie's teeth, making them sharper (Magic Fang). Pretty soon I saw I was right as Wolfie started eating the ghosty. He was taking out big bites just like that horse he ate last week, but not big enough like the chickens he swallowed whole. Eventually the ghosty left, or Wolfie ate it, I am not to sure, his belly didn't look full.

Well the man in the tree looked at me and said, "Well done! I thought I was done for." He started to climb down the tree, but Wolfie growled and he stopped. "You might want to give him a treat!" I yelled. The man looked in his bag and tossed down a chunk of dried meat. Wolfie smiled and showed all his nice teath and started chewing on it. I had once given him a chew toy that I had found by town where the Horsey guys (Knights) would practice with their sticks (lances). I thought it was odd they would hit big leather sacks shaped like men. But I thought all that leather would make a nice chew toy for Wolfie like my daddies puppy had. Well the man climbed down from the tree and asked me what he could do to repay me. I was in shock! Wolfie ate something and I was getting paid! Usually I had to pay, which reminded me I had to go see the Farmer about his chickens. I told him I had to go and he gave me a paper with odd scribbles. They reminded me of the scribbles the Pointy Hat (Wizard) made where I sold my plants (alchemist shop). I asked the man in red what it was. He told me the paper (Permancy Scroll) could make a spell on an object permanent. "What's a spell?" I had to ask. "Why that is what you did when you touched the wolf and made his fangs sharp," he said. I knew this was nonsense of course. I had just wiped the spit off of Wolfies teeth so they would be sharp. But Momma always said don't argue with people that wore white, red, or black cloaks.

So I took the mans paper and headed off to see Farmer. On the way I ran into Dana, the Elf Druid. She has been my friend since I was young when she found me stuck in a bush where I got stuck trying to get some berries. The big black juicy berries which leave purple stains on your fingers and lips. Speaking of which I quickly looked around for some berries cause I was hungry. I noticed Dana staring at my hand. I looked down and remembered the paper. I handed her the paper and told her about how I got paid for Wolfie eating something. Oops, I forgot about Farmer again. I started off, but Dana stopped me. She said, "Well good thing Wolfie had such sharp teath. Let me make Wolfies teeth sharp for good." Then she started looking at the paper and saying some gobbly-gook. She finished reading and the paper disappeared! I looked around but could not find it. I did not know Dana was a Magician! Maybe she would teach me to make Wolfie disappear! That way I could hide him if he ate something he was not supposed to. She then reached over and touched Wolfie. She is the only person besides me Wolfie lets pet him. Wolfie grinned and his pink tongue fell out of his mouth. I scolded him for his bad manners in front of company and when I put his tongue back in, I noticed his teeth looked very, very sharp. Dana then said, "You best be getting to the Farmer's before dinner." Uh-oh, Momma would be very mad if I was late to dinner on Grampa's Birthday.

So I jumped up on Wolfie's saddle and off we went to Farmer's. It was a very soft leather saddle, I currently had large yellow flowers in the braids but the little purple ones with the scratchy stems are the best...

The End - or at least the part where most people remember they left bread in the oven.

Shadow Dweller
04-24-2008, 03:10 PM
I love kinder! Great story for the PMF by the way, I think it should work fine.

cplmac
04-27-2008, 08:26 PM
OK, that was "interesting". :confused: What character will you be playing in the Dragonlance campaign?

tesral
04-28-2008, 09:43 AM
I love kinder! Great story for the PMF by the way, I think it should work fine.

I do to, grilled well marinaded with a nice dry Zinfandel.

Kilrex
04-28-2008, 12:39 PM
OK, that was "interesting". :confused: What character will you be playing in the Dragonlance campaign?

Playing a Kender Druid. I decided he was raised by both Kender and wolves. I hate Dragonlance, but decided since I was going to be in the campaign, I was going to have fun.

So far in the first session, I made flower and nature pictures in a rare tome, pissing off the mage, and gave the party leaders bedroll to my wolf, cause it made a nice chew toy.

Shadow Dweller
04-28-2008, 04:01 PM
So...your wanting them to kill off your character then ?:confused::cool:

Kilrex
04-28-2008, 07:56 PM
So...your wanting them to kill off your character then ?:confused::cool:

I don;t think so. I told them my next character would be another Kender, either a Bard or Cleric of Banjo.

Malruhn
04-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Consider this:

If a person I know is annoying, I will either ignore them or try to get away from them. I will actively try to keep them from my circle of friends.

I make my characters the same way.

And if a Player insists on playing annoying characters, I will treat them as in paragraph one.

cplmac
04-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Playing a Kender Druid. I decided he was raised by both Kender and wolves. I hate Dragonlance, but decided since I was going to be in the campaign, I was going to have fun.

So far in the first session, I made flower and nature pictures in a rare tome, pissing off the mage, and gave the party leaders bedroll to my wolf, cause it made a nice chew toy.

Just a word of caution, beware of the actions of your character because you never know how the other characters will react. When playing the Lost Caverns of Tsojkanth, one player thought that it would be funny to have his horse keep biting the other characters any chance it got. Finally the time came that the DM told me that my character, dwarf fighter named Flemin, was being bit by the horse. Everyone else, including the DM, was laughing when I told the DM that I punch the horse. Rolled a natural 20 and killed the horse with one punch.

I don;t think so. I told them my next character would be another Kender, either a Bard or Cleric of Banjo.

Not knowing how the rest of the group and your DM feel about these actions, myself as DM would have to take drastic matters if the rest of the group was not really enjoying the game because of the actions of one player's character.

Anaesthesia
04-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Consider this:

If a person I know is annoying, I will either ignore them or try to get away from them. I will actively try to keep them from my circle of friends.

I make my characters the same way.

And if a Player insists on playing annoying characters, I will treat them as in paragraph one.

I am the only that notices this or is it just me--why is it that whenever someone plays a kender they go the extreme route to be extremely annoying? Can't someone play a kender that's mildly annoying?

I tend to avoid Players who (outside of a game) have no common sense, and thus play their characters with no common sense either.

Farcaster
04-30-2008, 05:51 PM
why is it that whenever someone plays a kender they go the extreme route to be extremely annoying?

Guilty as charged. My favorite Kinder character is the epitome of chaos personified. The very mention of his name brings a shudder up my player's spines. Ahhh.. Wully. My little dual wand-wielding, Oh-No-You-Didn't, kinder rogue/wild mage. He was both a curse and a boon to the party. Why once he nearly single handedly took out an ancient red dragon at 11th level using scrolls of polar ray while the rest of the (significantly higher level) party distracted it. Of course, there was that other time that he let loose a fireball into a mob because some were making snide remarks about the Lady of Mysteries (yes, a kender in Faerun... long story). What a mess that was for the party to clean up. As I recall, it required the immediate use of a hastily crafted wish to undo that little bit of fun.

Kilrex
04-30-2008, 07:09 PM
I am the only that notices this or is it just me--why is it that whenever someone plays a kender they go the extreme route to be extremely annoying? Can't someone play a kender that's mildly annoying?

Actually, as my character has a high Wis but low Int, he is less about messing with important stuff like potions and wands and more into taking stuff for his wolf. Granted most of the party rations end up in the wolf stomach cause he likes dry chewy stuff, but I leave behind tasty berries, roots and other edibles found on the trail. Also he likes to use his skills to camo the party gear. Flower Hats For All!

agoraderek
04-30-2008, 11:28 PM
I do to, grilled well marinaded with a nice dry Zinfandel.

zinfandel with kinder? heathen! everyone knows a nice shiraz goes best with the little 'uns!

tesral
05-01-2008, 05:36 AM
zinfandel with kinder? heathen! everyone knows a nice shiraz goes best with the little 'uns!

Philistine! The meat is best complimented by a good light red wine. We want no heaviness here.

boulet
05-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Some say a dark stout is more appropriate...