PDA

View Full Version : CoS: Campaign announcements and parameters (open for everyone to post and ask questions!)

nijineko
04-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Here is where everyone who is playing can post everything out of character. Players only, please!

nijineko
04-22-2008, 06:05 PM
general announcements and rules for the campaign:

It started off as an ordinary enough day.... pleasant weather, the usual concerns that needed to get done, the usual people passed on your way. You pause, hearing an intriguing tune, and realize that you've been hearing it or variations of it throughout the day. You haven't heard it before today, is it a new popular song, you wonder? Momentarily distracted by the music, you step around a corner and smack into a something that wasn't there a moment before. Or rather, stumble into it, literally into it. You float suspended in... something... that resists your movements something like water or jelly but feels like air. Glancing around yourself, you can still see your surroundings, distorted by whatever it is that holds you. People walk by, never noticing or reacting to you in any way, even passing through the edges of the pillar-looking thing that is holding you.

There is a "sensation" behind you and it sings the song you have heard all day long. You swim-turn around to see a area begin to glow and receede from you. The brighter the glow, the farther away it appears to be, until you have a sense of vertigo. From an enormous distance away, something appears to be moving towards you. Eventually you make out a personage. As they draw close you see that it is actually a chain of persons, both men and women, holding hands and looking stretched out to an enormous degree. Strain is evident on their faces. They are dressed in odd attire, completely unfamiliar. They all look somewhat transparent. The personage at the end of this chain of people draws close and stretches out her hand. Her mouth moves. If you stretched out your arm to it's fullest extension you could just grasp her hand. Suddenly, you hear a voice, soft, blurred, and somewhat distorted coming from a great distance, like an echo without a source. The words spoken are melodic, alien, unknown. The meaning abruptly drops into your head. "Help us, please we beg of you. You are uniquely suited to assist us in our time of need. We have sought across time and space to find some few whom by being who and what they are, can be the answer to our need. You are such an one. You can save our world, our people, our lives. Please, we beg of you, come to our aid! Take my hand, please!"

welcome to your story! the exact details of this campaign will be a surprise. (muahahahah!) however, as most of my campaigns do, it takes place in a modified greyhawk settings. this particular campaign has a feature unique from any of my other campaigns. in fact, this is the first time that I’ve done this. lucky you. you may choose as your origin any setting that has been supported by any edition of d&d during any part of its history. additionally, as a special option, you may choose to play as yourself-from the real world-converted into d&d stats. for example, you may choose to play someone from modern greyhawk, or darksun, or lankhmar, or eberron, d20 modern, or d20 future, or even as yourself. despite your origin, the character must be (d&d) 3.0 and 3.5 compliant. for settings which do not have an official 3.0 or 3.5 update, we will have to work out the details together. if you choose to do yourself, we will have to do some comparisons and contrasts to see roughly where you fall.

source materials: all official wotc publications to include books, dungeon and dragon magazines, and the wotc website articles. books not allowed-these are boed, bovd, eoe, ee, fc1 and fc2. books like epic and deities will have to be qualified for as usual via in-game context. all source materials used need to be quoted so that i can reference. the dm will be using these materials as well.

character level: 1st through 6th is allowed, exact level to be determined later. starting wealth will be as appropriate for the level. xp will be the minimum to qualify for the level.

races: all races which have a final ecl of 6 or below are allowed. races with a higher ecl might be considered if they have a racial level breakout, or if one can be made for them. keep in mind that this includes all races in d&d which fit under the 3.0-3.5 umbrella, even d20 ones.

equipment: anything that appears in the allowed source materials and for which qualifications your character meets is fair game. however, due to the unusual starting nature of this campaign, your exact starting equipment will be not only determined by your starting wealth, but by what your character would happen to have on them during a typical "day off". the rest will be considered as ‘credit’ that you will be provided a way to use shortly after campaign start. i’ll allow you to blow it all on something nice, even. i find that such characters quickly learn the “for want of a nail” lesson. saving it up to use as credit might be worth your while, however. ;D

classes and prestige: anything from the allowed source materials for which the character qualifies is allowed. i do prefer a good reason for odd or unlikely choices. with lots of supporting background story... the more implausible the selection, the more detailed the justification required. non-standard choices are fine, but it should make for an interesting story as to why this particular character managed to learn that rare/unusual/little-known thing. please include said story. same goes for race and equipment choices, btw.

self as character: we will have to work together closely to identify your ecl.

if you have questions, ask. there are no stupid questions with me.

nijineko
04-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Here is where the player characters' information will be posted.

Players are:

Arahira (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/member.php?u=4152) playing Victoria.
Necrite (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/member.php?u=3681) playing Lokar Corat.
Dax Thura (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/member.php?u=3667) playing Ashbarex.
Elbryon (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/member.php?u=3840) playing Cross Bandylegs.
Midnight (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/member.php?u=3581) playing Rilde Konigsdottir.

looking forward to the game!

nijineko
04-29-2008, 09:01 PM
please post any questions you have here in this thread.

Arahira
06-19-2008, 07:23 PM
I feel like I'm reading a government letter x.@.. just kidding. Good opening by the way.

I don't know the Greyhawk setting very well... Okay at all. Does that matter?

Oh and K sent me your PMs... It would be cool just to be the two of us but we can add more... no stupid random people though...

Would I be able to use an old character? As long as its 3.0/.5 based of course. Or should I stick with just creating a new character from the stats you gave us?

......... Okay I think that's it for now. I'll add more if I think of anything.

Oh yeah. Add me as friend!!!

nijineko
06-19-2008, 11:22 PM
actually your unfamiliarity will happen to fit in perfectly with this campaign. and just so you know, even diehard greyhawk fans will find some things surprisingly different due to this particular campaigns... ah... differences. ^^

age is a factor under your control. there are tables describing what happens to the stats of character in different age categories, based on race. basically, your physical stats take a hit, your mental stats take a boost, the older you are. you use the stats you pick as your base starting point, then modify by your race, then age.

as for adding players, i have a very short list of knowns, and one unknown whom i will consider pending the responses of the knowns. chances are we will be playing for a while before i am able to incorporate the unknown (you know who you are-i haven't forgotten you). re-scaling will be needed depending on how many respond. in any case, at first it will almost certainly be you two, with a slight chance of the first of the knowns joining in.

as far as starting level goes, we are looking at either randomly picked, or 5th level. ^^ what do you two prefer?

Necrite
06-20-2008, 03:16 AM
Well, I like the random level option, except that your suggestion was 1d6, and I don't like the chance of getting level one or two, when others could be as high as six. Too much gap. Perhaps 1d4+2?

Necrite
06-20-2008, 03:24 AM
Would I be able to use an old character? As long as its 3.0/.5 based of course. Or should I stick with just creating a new character from the stats you gave us?

age is a factor under your control. there are tables describing what happens to the stats of character in different age categories, based on race. basically, your physical stats take a hit, your mental stats take a boost, the older you are. you use the stats you pick as your base starting point, then modify by your race, then age.

Small misunderstanding there I think. In Arahira's quote up there, I think you should be reading "old" as "not new," not as "not young," as you had interpreted it.

nijineko
06-21-2008, 11:19 AM
quite. i found that out. well, i'm willing to look over any old character sheets that can be sent my way. electronically. ^^ don't want the originals. =P

i can go with 1d4+2. seems fair. roll it here in the forum using the dice roller then, and we can go from there.

nijineko
06-21-2008, 04:11 PM
here are a few test rolls for my own use:
test roll 1
test roll 2
test roll 3
test roll 4

in case you don't know, here's the format for that:
[ roll = 1d4+2 ]descriptive fluff text here[ / roll ]

(note that extra spaces have been added preventing this last one from rolling. )

Necrite
06-21-2008, 09:14 PM
You know that if you add tags around your tags, they don't parse, and you don't need the spaces, right?

Anyways, my level is....

edit .... crap.

nijineko
06-21-2008, 09:59 PM
if i did know that, i'd forgotten it. *^^*

welcome to the third level. i'll hold back my reaction until i see what arahira's roll is. =D

Arahira
06-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Rawr

Arahira
06-22-2008, 09:55 AM
LOL I pwned you! xD

Necrite
06-22-2008, 10:00 AM
I hate you so much.

I've never had much luck with d4's. Better than sucking with d20's I suppose...

nijineko
06-22-2008, 03:12 PM
now i should just make anyone else automatically 5th or 6th level just to make necrite feel his 3rd level roll.... but then hand out special xp awards for good rp to necrite for playing (and surviving) with an underdog. ^^

Necrite
06-23-2008, 05:13 AM
I'm rolling a sorcerer. I meet the requiremenrs for Two-Weapon Finghting. If I take it, will you allow me to fight with a weapon in one hand and a wand in the other, using a standard action to both fire the wand and attack with the weapon, with the standard -2 penalty to both (when applicable to the wand)?

nijineko
06-23-2008, 09:24 PM
the answer is mixed. two weapon fighting does allow one to weild two melee weapons. however, a spell trigger activation item is not a weapon. thus, the end result of applying two-weapon fighting would be to use the wand as a very thin club. the feat you are looking for is dual wand weilder. this allows you to activate two wands at a once, for an extra drain in charges on the second wand.

if the object you wanted to use was a use-activated item, then we might be in business.

however, all is not lost. if you were to take both two weapon fighting and dual wand weilder, then it would be logical and reasonable to allow you to mix weapon and wand in a dual style. dual wand weilder is found in either the complete arcane, or complete mage, i believe. if you check the consolidated lists on the wotc site, it has a list for all feats and where they are found. =D i should be able to get it together for you along with that other information i'm collecting.

speaking of which, can you read rtfd files? (rtf with embedded pictures) that would be the easiest way for me to send it to you. =D

Necrite
06-23-2008, 11:34 PM
That's an extra feat over what I wanted to take, but I may do it anyways. I can probably load the rtfd files, I've got the most up to date version of Open Office, and it's supposed to open everything except the newest (proprietary) files that the new MS Word uses.

Of course, you could always just copy the feat text into a PM and send it to me that way. :P

Necrite
06-24-2008, 02:00 AM
Another alternative: Flaws from Unearthed Arcana. You said you were using some of its optional rules, is this one of them? If so, and Dual-Wand Weilder can be qualified for at 1st level, we're good. Unfortunately, my 3rd level feat is spoken for.

That reminds me - In your opinion, does a wand count as a weapon for purposes of the Quick Draw feat?

Finally, hit points. Third level sorcerer gets 4+Con plus 2d4+Con. I can't remember my Con score, I'll add that on my sheet.

*EDIT* Son of a.... Did I mention that I hate d4s?

*EDIT2* Crap, both the creation feats I was looking at take 3rd caster level, and Quick Draw takes BAB +1. I could take a Fighter level at level 1 and get QD as a 1st level feat, and even get a bonus feat, but then I wouldn't have 3rd caster level for the crafting feat. Arg.

Necrite
06-24-2008, 03:24 AM
One more question: If I want to craft small, single-use magical items, would you rule that this is done with the Craft Wondrous Item feat, or a variant on the Brew Potion?

In specific, the items will be lots - small sticks, about the size of a popsicle stick, that are broker to create their effect.

I wouldn't mind the extra functionality that Craft Wondrous allows, and I've never been fond of the fact that Brew Potion limits you to third level, but I'll go with whichever you say.

nijineko
06-25-2008, 02:44 PM
That's an extra feat over what I wanted to take, but I may do it anyways. I can probably load the rtfd files, I've got the most up to date version of Open Office, and it's supposed to open everything except the newest (proprietary) files that the new MS Word uses.

Of course, you could always just copy the feat text into a PM and send it to me that way. :P

that's assuming that my electronic copy was ocr'ed instead of just scanned. ^^ which i don't think it was.

Another alternative: Flaws from Unearthed Arcana. You said you were using some of its optional rules, is this one of them? If so, and Dual-Wand Weilder can be qualified for at 1st level, we're good. Unfortunately, my 3rd level feat is spoken for.

yes, both flaws and traits. the flaw has to be meaningful and actually apply to your character. dragon 324 and 328 have more flaws to pick from. and dragon 280 has extra sorcerer options. dragon 311 has more bloodline feats. there are a few others that would apply too. if you are interested.

That reminds me - In your opinion, does a wand count as a weapon for purposes of the Quick Draw feat?

it has been established that drawing objects that are used in weapon-like attacks, even if said object itself is not a weapon, counts for purposes of quick draw. you do realize that you get a free quick draw during a move action, yes? the feat basically allows you to quick draw without having to move.

Finally, hit points. Third level sorcerer gets 4+Con plus 2d4+Con. I can't remember my Con score, I'll add that on my sheet.

*EDIT* Son of a.... Did I mention that I hate d4s?

*EDIT2* Crap, both the creation feats I was looking at take 3rd caster level, and Quick Draw takes BAB +1. I could take a Fighter level at level 1 and get QD as a 1st level feat, and even get a bonus feat, but then I wouldn't have 3rd caster level for the crafting feat. Arg.

you are obviously not in touch with the power of the pyramid.... hope that doesn't affect your chances in the hereafter. ;D

One more question: If I want to craft small, single-use magical items, would you rule that this is done with the Craft Wondrous Item feat, or a variant on the Brew Potion?

In specific, the items will be lots - small sticks, about the size of a popsicle stick, that are broker to create their effect.

I wouldn't mind the extra functionality that Craft Wondrous allows, and I've never been fond of the fact that Brew Potion limits you to third level, but I'll go with whichever you say.

i guess that it depends on what the effects are. there are one-shot wondrous items, noticeably feather tokens. sorry to make it tough on you, but i'll have to review each effect that you plan on using to determine which feat applies. ^^ for example: a one-shot heal effect is more like a potion, whereas a one-shot create plant or object effect is more like a wondrous item.

nijineko
07-04-2008, 03:21 PM
ahah! happy news for you, necrite! i found something that will fit what you want precisely. here's how we will handle it:

you will get the scribe scroll alternate feat, "scribe runestick". an extremely antiquated and primitive form of magic, it nonetheless is more than powerful enough to handle modern spells, with the right components and mild alterations to the rituals. anyone trained in this form of magic is quite capable of feeling out any needed alterations. a prepared stick is used by snapping the stick while simultaneously speaking aloud a special arcane trigger sequence. this releases the stored magic and produces the desired effect. snapped sticks crumble to dust once the magic is released.

preparing a runestick may differ in specifics from creating a scroll (rubbing special materials on the sitck, bathing it in special preperations, waving it through ritual smoke, etc) but the costs and rule mechanics are otherwise the same.

hope this helps with your character concept! =D do include some background as to how/why your character is familiar with this unusual form, ne?

Necrite
07-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Sadly, that doesn't work, as the main idea was building the sticks into traps, with triggers breaking them. The spoken word makes these not work that way.

Honestly, I've been having problems making this character come together the way I want. Plus, he'd be fairly useless in combat, and it doesn't sound like Arahira is gonna have a very strong melee character either. I'm thinking of going in a different direction, probably some kind of fighter multiclass.

I'll give you more details once I've got a better idea what I'm doing.

Dax Thura
07-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Ok, I'll bite, if you'll have me. (Nijineko, this Will). I'll need help with the dice roller. Right now I'm thinking about either a Favoured Soul or an Enlightened Fist. Tell me what you guys think.

nijineko
07-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Sadly, that doesn't work, as the main idea was building the sticks into traps, with triggers breaking them. The spoken word makes these not work that way.

Honestly, I've been having problems making this character come together the way I want. Plus, he'd be fairly useless in combat, and it doesn't sound like Arahira is gonna have a very strong melee character either. I'm thinking of going in a different direction, probably some kind of fighter multiclass.

I'll give you more details once I've got a better idea what I'm doing.

well, then we could go with the potion-style option, if you like. that would allow you to set the traps, but unfortunatly limit you in level of effect. the issue with scroll-style variant of the feat is that it requires the verbal component. there is the option of going more spellcaster/rouge type and using symbols or glyphs to hold the traps.... also, consider looking up the warforged race in the book i sent arahira, they synergy VERY well with the abilities of arahira's class choice. and make good fighter types. they have some nice racial feats and prestige as well.

Ok, I'll bite, if you'll have me. (Nijineko, this Will). I'll need help with the dice roller. Right now I'm thinking about either a Favoured Soul or an Enlightened Fist. Tell me what you guys think.

awesome! i was hoping you would be able to. =D favoured soul also mixes nicely with divine fist.... (or whatever the monk/divine one is called! *^^*)

Necrite
07-09-2008, 02:32 AM
I was going to go with a human, either fighter/cleric or fighter/ranger. I guess I'll base my decision on what Dax is. I don't know either of the classes he mentioned. If he's a combat character, I'll do Ftr/Clr, if it's a caster, Ftr/Rng.

Dax Thura
07-09-2008, 04:04 PM
I was going to go with a human, either fighter/cleric or fighter/ranger. I guess I'll base my decision on what Dax is. I don't know either of the classes he mentioned. If he's a combat character, I'll do Ftr/Clr, if it's a caster, Ftr/Rng.

The Favored Soul is a spontaneous divine caster, the divine sorcerer if you will. The Enlightened Fist is a monk/arcane caster prestige class. If I understand it correctly, it is more of a combat character than a caster, though it is no front line fighter.

Other possibilities include Warlock, a personal favorite, and Dragon Shaman, seems interesting. In any case what are the rules for putting a character together? How do I do the dice rolls?

After some test rolls, My level is:

I don't think it worked.

I don't want to seem like a cheat, so if the group wants I will reroll (again) or have Nijineko roll it. Sorry.

nijineko
07-09-2008, 08:55 PM
well, they appear to have all been rolled simultaneously. so i'm inclined to let it stand for now.

the general rules for building a character are in the first post at the top of this thread. if you have questions about it, contact me. =D

Dax Thura
07-10-2008, 10:19 PM

Oh, I see, make the new guy decide. Well, after my rolls, I've decided against the Enlightened Fist. Instead I have the Warlock, again a personal favorite, the Sorcerer, which I've never played before, and the Soul Knife going for the Soul Bow, another personal favorite. If I must decide now, I'd go with the Sorcerer. I am not married to it though, and if someone else wants to be a primary arcane caster, I will go with the Soul Knife.

Are we using action points from either Eberron or the Unearthed Arcana?

BTW, Nijineko, according to the EPH, neither of the Giths's have racial levels just the +2ECL.

nijineko
07-11-2008, 02:42 AM
ah, my bad. somehow i got the mm gith version stuck in my head, which do have the hd. the xph versions are adjusted. =D thanks for the point-out.

Dax Thura
07-16-2008, 12:03 PM
The boy grew up in a frontier town. He was at turns teased and shunned due to his odd skin color and eyes. Plus, as he grew, unusual things would happen within his proximity. Then he caught a barn on fire with a blast of eldritch energy. If not for the Old Druid, the townsfolk would have killed the boy right then. Instead the Old Druid took him in and taught the boy how to control his powers. Now a man, Ashbarex is looking to see the world and learn more of his ancestry.

nijineko
07-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Every character who draws power from a source outside of themselves, does so through some form of Contract. A Contract defines the mechanism by which power will be channeled to the character, by what or whom, what will be given in exchange, and why. To be valid, the one receiving the power owes more in return than that which is received, a time frame or behavioral conditions must be set, and a location or definition of scale and scope needs to be defined.

This concept is fundamental to many aspects of society. A Contract is binding. The only thing considered worse than a Contract-breaker, is one who enters into a Contract with false intentions.

Violating a Contract has real and lasting consequences, not the least of which is that the balance of the Contact must be restored, and justice served upon those who were engaged in the contract.

Entering into a contract should not be done lightly. It is witnessed and recorded by the Powers that be in this world, and the constituents can be held accountable according to its terms.

Many of the famous stories and legends in this world revolve around famous Contracts, especially if the stories are of an interesting, clever, cautionary or instructive nature.

An unfinished or broken Contract can sometimes be resolved with a Duel, depending upon the circumstances. Unfinished and broken Contracts do not expire unless the Contract terms are fulfilled somehow. This has occasionally resulted in lingering Contracts which have been heroically fulfilled decades or even centuries after the fact, usually to the renown and benefit of the fulfiller.

Typically the consequences of non-fulfillment are spelled out in the Contract, however, in the case of small personal Contracts, it is frequently left up to the default.

nijineko
07-16-2008, 09:56 PM
The Duel is one way in which conflict can be resolved. It is witnessed and recorded by the Powers that be and the participants are held to the terms thereof. There are many variations of rules and procedures, but the basic format is pre-determined. The results of a Duel are considered binding, and only in extreme rare cases has the verdict of a Duel been overturned, typically as a result of overwhelming proof to the contrary presented during or immediately after a Duel.

An unfinished or broken Contract can sometimes be resolved with a Duel, depending upon the circumstances. Duels can be as small as a conflict between two individuals, or groups; as large as a conflict between multiple countries.

A Duel must have a place, time, type of duel, if a combat duel-choice or stipulation of weapons, and victory conditions to be valid.

nijineko
07-16-2008, 09:57 PM
The Powers That Be in this world are just that, Powers. Some of them claim to be deity, some claim that they are like deity, others claim that none of them are deity. Between the confusion of claims (each seems to claim something slightly diffferent...) It is difficult to know what is actually the truth. It is certain, however, that through the Contracts with their followers, power is granted to those who are particularly zealous in advancing the cause of the Power that they serve.

It is interesting to note that those whom exhibit a principled and scrupulous nature reject or ignore being worshiped in general, while those whom are unprincipled and unscrupulous in nature allow, or even actively encourage being worshiped; some exceptions do exist.

The Powers that be tend to be active, and involve themselves with mortals. Many is the tale of meeting some stranger, only to have it turn out to be some Power or another. One of the most common manifestations of the daily influence of the Powers is witnessed with the Contract and the Duel. Both cases are recorded and witnessed by the Powers with the participators being held to the terms of the Contract or Duel.

It is known that Powers are responsible for recording the events which concern their focuses. Frequently a Power, or representative of a Power, will show an interest, and even influence events to which they are keyed. In the cases of overlapping or conflicting interests, this can cause dispute between the Powers in question, and this can be hard upon the mortals involved.

Dax Thura
07-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Ashbarex
Male Human (Draconic) Sorcerer 6
CG Medium Humanoid (Dragonblood)
Init +2; Senses Darkvision 60', Low-Light Vision; Listen +0, Spot +4
Languages Common, Draconic, Elven, Dwarven
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
AC 15 (nat +2, dex +2, defl +1), touch 13, flat-footed 12
hp 32 (6d4 HD + 12)
Resist +4-v-sleep and paralysis, +4 (number of heritage feats)-v-fire, sleep, and paralysis, resist fire 8 (2xheritage feats)
Fort +6 Refl +6 Will +6
Speed 30'
Melee Short Spear +1 (d6)
Melee 2 Claws +1 (d3)
Ranged Lt. Crossbow +5 (d8)
Base Atk +3; Grp +1
Combat Gear know stones (shield, identify), eternal wand of magic aura, ring of protection +1, cloak of comfort +1 w/+2 cha, healing belt
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sorcerer Spells Known (CL 6th, 7th for fire spells):
3rd (4/day) - fireball (DC 19)
2nd (6/day) - invisibility, scorching ray
1st (7/day) - feather fall, grease (DC 16), mage armor, magic missile
0 (6/day) - acid splash, detect magic, light (DC 15), mage hand, mending, prestidigitation, read magic
Abilities Str 10 Dex 14 Con 15 Int 14 Wis 10 Cha 19 (21)
SQ Meta-Magic Specialist (replaces Familiar), Eschew Materials (per DM), Spells
Feats Draconic Heritage (Brass), Draconic Power, Draconic Resistance, Draconic Skin, Dragon Wings, Empower Spell
Flaws Non-Combatant, Restricted Magic (enc/nec)
Skills Bluff +9, Concentration +11, Diplomacy +9, Gather Information +8, Intimidate +8, Jump +10, Knowledge (arcana) +8, Search +4, Spellcraft +7, Spot +4
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Possesions spear, light crossbow, 20 bolts, traveler's clothes, dragon necklace with 4x25gp gems, 92 gp

Books: Player's Handbook, Player's Handbook II, Complete Arcane, Races of the Dragon

Backstory: The boy grew up in a frontier town. He was at turns teased and shunned due to his odd skin color and eyes. Plus, as he grew, unusual things would happen within his proximity. Then he caught a barn on fire with a blast of eldritch energy. If not for the Old Druid, the townsfolk would have killed the boy right then. Instead the Old Druid took him in and taught the boy how to control his powers. Now a man, Ashbarex is looking to see the world and learn more of his ancestry.

Dax Thura
07-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Rolling hp 4d4+14 (to allow for max hp at first level)

Hit Points

Arahira
07-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Here is where the player characters' information will be posted.

Players are:

Arahira (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/member.php?u=4152)
Necrite (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/member.php?u=3681)
Dax Thura (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/member.php?u=3667)

and one other who hasn't posted here yet. i hope they will soon, lest i be tempted to give their spot away to another... (arahira, could you poke your friend to post something here in the thread, please?)

Has been poked.

nijineko
07-18-2008, 02:50 PM
thank you. =D

nijineko
07-18-2008, 03:17 PM
It has been noted and is commonly known that those who draw upon sources outside of themselves, whether arcane or divine, do so via means of a Contract. What is much less known, is that even those whose magic seems innately a part of them, for example the fey, dragons, elementals, even sorcerers or favored souls-also draw power through the terms of a Contract.

These Contracts were typically made between an ancestor and a Power of some type. Contracts of this nature tend to be broader in scope and deeper in consequences, such that it carries over into succeeding generations of descendants. As even the Powers weary and tire of their lot, passing on the mantle of power that they hold to another, sometimes the details of these Contracts become lost to the mists of time.

Not knowing the exact terms through which one draws ones power can have unintended consequences. Some terms have become famous, such as the fey and cold iron. Others have resulted in disaster, such as the fate of the near-forgotten le'shay, or the ancient spellweaver, mind flayer, or reptiloid empires.

nijineko
07-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Dragons are the classic example of an ongoing Contract which has never been fulfilled. No one knows the exact nature of the Contract, or what conditions it may have had. If the dragons themselves know, they have never spoken of it. Indeed, perhaps they cannot speak of it. They go about their mysterious ways, wrapped up in ancient patterns, ancient ways.

Occasionally a dragon will rampage... engendering a curious reaction from other dragons. Most will turn away and refuse to acknowledge or speak of the dragon in question. It is almost as if they give up and wait for the other races to do something about it. Eventually, another dragon will confront and challenge the rampaging dragon. In most cases neither dragon is ever seen again. The few times that one has survived, the incident is never spoken of or referred to, and pressing any dragon about the incident is decidely unhealthy on the part of the inquirer.

What little that is known of dragons is handed down through the generations. The most famous of the tidbits not specific to a particular dragon concern the Truename and horde magic. It appears that every dragon has a Truename to which it is bound. It is said that a possessor of a dragon's Truename possess' the dragon. Unfortunately, dragons possess many names, of which only one is an actual Truename. Some seem to be titles of some sort, others acknowledgment of some kind of ancient status ranking among dragons which apparently ignores species and belief systems.

Horde magic appears unique among dragon-kind, and perhaps explains the aquisitive greed that many seem to display. It is fairly certain that it can be used for attack and defense, especially of home and hearth. Among the various rumors of the abilities of horde magic some of the more popular are: status among dragons in some obscure game, divination, scrying, summoning, enhancing the innate abilities of the dragon, acting as a barrier of some kind against detection of the dragon, food, security blanket, and more outlandish ideas.

Many dragons have retreated from the world entirely, hiding in obscure and unusual locations. Some dragons take a more interested view in the world, emerging to interact with others for obscure purposes of their own. All dragons have displayed an unusual interest in geneology, and this is a nearly certain way to stave off death at the claws, teeth, or powers of a dragon... for a few moments at least.

Dragons also seem to possess a universally keen interest in the stars. There are a thousand theories about this interest which sprang up from a single comment once made by a dragon who was gazing intently at the stars, almost searching, from a mountain peak... "We have lost the way...." Draconic rituals also hold a fascination for scholars, though this is one of the most hazardous occupations in existance, as dragons of any kind take a lethally dim view of univited observers. And all kinds of dragons will be at any given ritual. The rituals appear to ignore boundaries of specie, moral or ethical philosophies, even ardent enemies; cooperation appears sacrosanct during the rituals. Even non-dragon descendants and relatives seem to have an occasional place in the rituals, though none of them have ever been induced to speak of it... even up to, and beyond, the point of death.

nijineko
07-18-2008, 04:31 PM
a few notes about spells and abilites and powers:

spells, abilities, and powers which have the effects of raise dead, ressurection, and true ressurection function differently. raise dead can theoretically work if used within 3 days of the time of death. after that time the spirit has departed upon its journey through the afterlife. ressurection will theoretically work for up to a year and a day after the time of death. true ressurection can theoretically work up until the time that the individual would have naturally passed on... after that, nothing can bring them back to life. otherwise, these function as outlined.

i have replaced the various alignment detection spells with a single "detect alignment" effect. likewise the various "protection from...." are replaced with a single version with multiple applications. please keep in mind that these effects will NOT function on most things. These effects are now based on detecting the existance of certain undisguisable hallmarks of specific Contracts. by way of example, a saintly person and an despicable evil tyrant will both fail to register to any of these effects, unless those individuals have made Contracts with specific Powers.

thus the "alignment" in question is not referring to ones ethical or moral choices, but to being "aligned" with a particular power via Contract. in all cases, the freedom of choice, the freedom to get the consequences of a choice, and the freedom to change are preserved. keep in mind that once a Contract is entered into, that the consequenses of that choice are also all yours. better read the fine print. in fact, the term "fine print" is used as an explitive in many cultures....

further alterations will be added to this thread as i think of them, or as we run across them in game.

Elbryon
07-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Ok it looks like I'm a little behind so I'll start off with my lvl firstPlease be decent....

grr....

well Necrite it looks like we are 2 in the same boat :(. I will begin getting a character together tonight and should have it up and posted soon.

Elbryon
07-21-2008, 12:22 PM
rolling stats..I see Dax is playing a sorcerer I would like to fill an empty spot in the party what type of character is needed?

*edit: I didnt know if this is how you wanted it done but I thought I'd get a jump on it in any case.

Keep 18,14,14,14,8,15 adjusted to reflect current changes

nijineko
07-21-2008, 05:16 PM
i use a slightly different method, but that works out actually. go ahead and keep that if you like. drop one 15 out of that, and keep the rest. or you may roll two additional columns of 6 stats and pick from the best three, as per my pm. (i replied to the pm before i caught up on this thread. =D )

Elbryon
07-21-2008, 05:25 PM
I'll do it the right way as I jumped ahead a little bit here goescolumn 1
column 2
column 3

I will take column 2 and after dropping the lowest my results stand as: 18,14,14,14,8,15...so with an 8 I guess im either not going to be intelligent or not very likeable. but there they are none the less.

nijineko
07-21-2008, 06:18 PM
the dice roller likes somebody.... ^^

congrats on the good rolls. =D

Elbryon
07-21-2008, 10:13 PM
it makes up for my abismal roll of 1 on the d4 for lvl :)

Elbryon
07-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Hit points

*+19 reflects 13 points max hp at lvl 1 + 6 points from constitution on Lvl2-3

*one good roll and one crap roll blah...so 31hp

Elbryon
07-22-2008, 02:41 PM
starting 1st lvl gold

This is what I carry in my pouch. As stated in the intro we only have with us what we would normally carry on our day off. One thing is my money pouch the rest will be noted on my sheet. I will not include the other equipment I have as it is all left inside my room.

I had just gotten out of bed and was makeing my way to the market when I ran into the column. I currently have a set of traveling cloths, a small hand axe I use for cutting my meats etc.(much like a human would use a knife), no shoes, and a small pouch containing 120 gold pieces I was going to use to buy breakfast. :(

nijineko
07-22-2008, 04:33 PM
that's a very expensive breakfast.... ;D

Elbryon
07-22-2008, 04:48 PM
I'll have one of everything please with gravy on top :) see it all gets more expensive with gravy.

nijineko
07-22-2008, 06:16 PM
120 in gold is a bit bulky, or at least visibly obvious in most cases. may i suggest that it partly be carried in gems, which are much less bulky, instead?

nijineko
07-22-2008, 06:16 PM
this will be interesting....

Elbryon
07-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Oh thats fine I havent fleshed him completely out yet so I'll take that into account and it will be reflected on the sheet

nijineko
07-22-2008, 10:12 PM
cool, cool. just a suggestion. ^^

Elbryon
07-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Cross Brandylegs
Fighter/lvl3
Earth Dwarf/NG
Hit Points/31

Str:16 +3, Dex:16 +3, Con:17 +3, Int:8 -1, Wis:14 +2, Cha:12 +1
Saving throws: Fort/6, Ref/4, Will/3

Armor class: 13 (as per post I was not wearing any armor on my day off)

Possessions: 1 set of travelers cloths, 1 handaxe, 1 lrg. belt pouch
Money: 20 gold pieces, 1 small polished bloodstone (50gp), 1 small polished onyx (50gp)

Skills: Appraise/4, Bluff/2, Climb/4, Craft(stone/metal)/4 (+5 for metal/stone with blood), Heal/3, Intimidate/2

Racial traits/class features: +1 to attacks vs. air, -2 check vs. spells of the air domain, +4 check vs. bullrush and trip, simple/martial weapon proficiency, proficient will all armor, 60' darkvision

Feats: wp focus battleaxe, blind fighting, power attack

Languages: common, dwarf

edit for my reference

nijineko
07-24-2008, 06:31 PM
so that makes two out of four with posted characters. =D looking forward to seeing the rest!

Elbryon
07-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Look ok?

nijineko
07-25-2008, 12:16 PM
quick glance over looks okay. =D

Arahira
08-02-2008, 11:32 AM
HP and Gold
6+2 <--- 1st level.

lv2
lv3
lv4
lv5

x10 starting gold

11x10=110.. Starting gold .... and obviously taking first set of HP rolled so... 8+6+7+7+7=35

nijineko
08-02-2008, 10:22 PM
=D looking forward to seeing the character. remember to ask me if there are any questions!

nijineko
08-02-2008, 11:40 PM
it has been decided that action points will be used for everyone for this campaign. for those not familiar, the eberron setting book has rules for it, as does the star wars d20 and d20 modern, if i recall correctly.

you're going to need them. ^^

Elbryon
08-03-2008, 12:03 AM
is there anywhere else we can find action points? as I do not have either of those sources

nijineko
08-03-2008, 12:15 AM
i'll check the srd...

here you go (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/actionPoints.htm)!

Arahira
08-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Apparently I needed one more level of HP
level6

Elbryon
08-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Ok Ill have to try and remember those I've never used them before thanks.

nijineko
08-05-2008, 05:22 PM
think of them as fate points. when things go down the tube, and you don't want to blow the roll....

nijineko
08-08-2008, 01:14 AM
by the way... for necrite and elbryon, you both have the starting wealth of a third level character. ne?

but just keep in mind what you have on you on a typical "day off". the rest will be counted as credit.

furthermore, we will actually be starting soon. i've cooked up something that will keep everyone busy. =D

Elbryon
08-08-2008, 09:50 AM
no I only took the starting wealth for lvl1 standard fighter I figured the rest I would use as my *credit* all the normal equipment I would have on a regular adventureing day ie. battleaxe, torch, backpack etc. was left in my room. I was mearly going to the market this morning for breakfast and to peruse the different shops before any of the less initiated were up so I could get the good stuff. If I need to change something let me know.

nijineko
08-08-2008, 02:44 PM
that is fine.

nijineko
08-13-2008, 02:21 PM
so, i'd like everyone to consider how much credit they have, and post your wishlist here please! feel free to break the wishlist into two or more sections. i'll give examples here.

section one is for wishlist items that fall within your current credit limit. not only will this help you get what you want, it will give me plot and location ideas.

section two is for items that exceed your credit limit. this will help me plan villains and future plot locations and events. give me an idea of what sorts of things your character would be interested. and don't worry, this is only a general guideline.

section three are for things which cannot be purchased with gold: desired character events, directions of development, desired prestige access, and so forth. as the two above, this will be one of your prime methods of influencing plot and story flow. i won't necessarily take things verbatim, but i will make a good faith effort to make some version of what you ask for come to pass. just keep in mind the collorary....

if you think of more, make more! i read them all. do consider these lists editable; by all means, change them as the game proceeds!

storyteller's promise: i'm not out to get the players or characters. i may mix in good lumps with bad lumps, but in the end i try to make things work out roughly even. multiple bad lumps usually presage a plot climax of some type, and will eventually be followed by good lumps in similar measure. i will always listen and consider carefully what is being said. and ask questions if i'm not sure!

storyteller's request: that you communicate with me, even if it's just a little, "things are going good, thanks," now and again. and please never be afraid to question something. 99+% of the time, i don't mind explaining. though i might be evasive about details if it's a plot thing.

Dax Thura
08-14-2008, 02:04 AM
I am fortunate in that I have I have all of my wealth on me already, so I don't want for much to start with. For the future, however, I'm hoping for items that will expand my spell repetoire. Things like wands, staves, and more know stones. I plan on prestiging into the Dragonheart Mage (races of the dragon p 88) next level which gives bonus draconic feats while increasing my casting ability.

Elbryon
08-14-2008, 10:43 AM
I am not as fortunate as Dax to have all my wealth on me (meager as it may be) I was on my way to breakfast when I was sucked in and only have my traveling cloths, a small hand axe, and my coin/gems. Since only recently leaving the employ of the military and starting my adventureing career what I left behind is fairly simple pack w/bedroll and waterskins, flint & steel, torch, rations, a set of chainmail, and my prized dwarven battleaxe. I had yet to attain anything magical or fancy so that is the type of thing I would like to see being military minded and keeping in that frame I am always on the lookout for a full suit of plate mail and the most butt whoopin battle axe I can get my hands on :)

Arahira
08-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Victoria Ravenholdt:

ARTIFICER

LV:6

STATS:

STR: 8 , -1
DEX:15 , +2
CON:15 , +2
INT:18 , +4
WIS:15 , +2
CHA:17 , +3

HP: 42 AP: 8/8

AC: 14 - 10 - +2 ar.b. - +2 dex.b.

INIT:+2

Saving Throws:

FORT: +4
REFLEX: +4
WILL: +7

WEAPON:
Dagger AB:+4 DMG:1d4 CRIT:19-20x2 RNG:10ft. TYPE: P/S

ARMOR:
Leafweave/Dress: TYPE:Light ACBonus:+2 MAXDEX:+7 Ar.SP.Failure:5% SPD:30 WGT: 15lbs.

SKILLS:

Appraise:+8
Bluff:+4
Concentration:+11
Craft:Alchemy:+7
Craft:Sewing:+7
Disable Device:+10
Hide:+4
Knowledge:Arcana:+8
Knowledge:Eng/Arch:+10
Knowledge:Planes:+8
Move Silently:+4
Open Lock:+6
Search:+10
Slight of Hand:+3
Spot:+3
Use Magic Device:+14

INFUSIONS:
1stlvl:3 Bonus:1
2ndlvl:3 Bonus:1
3rdlvl:1 Bonus:1

Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven, Draconic, Goblin

Nijineko has main copy of character sheet

DESC:

15 years old. Small, frail/dainty build. Pale skin. Orange eyes. Long black hair with pink tips, is often done up in some cute way. Always in fancy dresses and boots. Carries a parasol and has a small automaton song bird.

Niji PM me if I need to add anything else.

Experience:
10100/15000

Necrite
08-18-2008, 05:37 AM
Character sheet and background are almost finished, will get them up ASAP. Working an extra day this week, and my laptop just died on me (yay for extended warranties), so I'll be stuck using my PDA for the nonce.

My character is a (yet unnamed) hobgoblin from a world where goblinoids are the majority, and humans are the nomadic and tribal raiders that humanoids are in a typical setting. He is a scout returning home from an extended mission, and as such has his weapons and armor, plus some minor supplies. He has only a tiny handful of coin - probably not even enough to buy breakfast if he actually had to pay for it. Military service has at least a couple benefits!

I'd like one magic item, either to start with, or available on my credit, though not a standard one, so it's up to Nijineko to determine how to deal with it: a traveller's cloak that keeps the wearer comfortable, regadless of heat or cold, and repels rain, snow, mist and road dust, and functions this way when worn normally or used as a blanket.

An event that would be appropriate for a future RP scenario would involve him being forced into a position where his life hinges on trusting a human - his favored enemy*.

*Don't worry about this causing significant difficulty, Nijineko... I've dealt with it in my backstory. It should make things interesting...

Necrite
08-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Lokar Corat

Base Final Mod
Str 18 18 +4
Dex 15 17 +3
Con 15 17 +3
Int 17 17 +3
Wis 12 12 +1
Cha 10 10 +0

Attack Bonus: +6 = +2(BAB) +4(Str)
Ranged: +5 = +2(BAB) +3(Dex)
AC: 16 =10 +3(Dex) +3(Masterwork Studded Leather)
Flat Footed: 13
HP: 19
Fort: 7 = 4 (Base) +3 (Con)
Ref: 7 = 4 (Base) +3 (Dex)
Will: 2 = 1 (Base) +1 (Wis)

Skill Points: 45 Max Ranks: 5/2.5
Skills Total Ranks Attrib Bonus
Climb 6 =2 +4
Handle Animal 5 =5 +0
Hide 8 =5 +3
Jump 6 =2 +4
Knowledge (Nature)
10 =5 +3 +2
Listen 7 =5 +2
Move Silently 12 =5 +3 +4
Search 8 =5 +3
Spot 7 =5 +2
Survival 7 =5 +2
Use Rope 4 =1 +3
*+2 to Survival checks when above ground
*+2 to Survival checks when tracking
*+2 to Wild Empathy checks

Feats
1- Running
Bonus- Track
Bonus- Rapid Shot

Class and Race Abilities
Wild Empathy
Favored Enemy: Humanoids (Humans)
Combat Style (Ranged)
Darkvision 60'
+4 Racial bonus to Move Silently checks
Level Adjustment +1

Languages
Goblin
Common (with a very thick accent)
Dwarven
Giant
Draconic (Kobold)

Equipment
Longsword
Longbow
Masterwork studded leather
Quiver with 20 arrows
Coinpurse with 10 cp 5 sp
Backpack
2 Waterskins
3 days hard tack and trail rations
Extra quiver with 20 arrows

Lokar Corat (Given name: Corat) is a hobgoblin from a world where the various goblinoids are the dominant species, and humans form a wide variety of barbarian and nomad tribes that constantly raid and attack civilized areas. Elves and dwarves are races in decline. They rarely leave their secluded cities, and generally have few relations with others, for good or ill.

Corat is a long-range scout tasked with incursions into human controlled territories, occasionally sent to eliminate strategic targets. He has recently completed a task which took an unexpectedly long time, and is returning to his home city.

Throughout the night, odd noises followed Corat, noises he couldn't place, but reminded him of the strange lilting music he heard in his one visit to an elven city. With one of the louder strains, he flinched, rembering what was likely to be his last diplomatic mission - in fact, the blunder most likely would prevent him from ever seeing a promotion again. No matter how he searched though, he could not find the source of the strange sounds.

Finally, as dawn was breaking, he neared a village. Goblin law states that military personell can claim free food and lodging at any inn. Hefting his purse, Corat decided this was a good thing. He'd been too long away from home, and the tiny emergency fund he always carried was all but expended.

Already sweating from the early day's heat - why did they have to make armor so hot? - he turned down the main street of the town. He'd never been here before, but there must be an inn somewhere on this street. He could have a bath, sleep away the day, and resume his trek in the cooler night.

Suddelny, the accursed music assailed him again. Frantically looking this way and that, he saw nothing - at first. Lunging after the shadowy figure he saw disappearing down a nearby alley, he tripped. Bracing for the impact, and cringing at the thought of the thumb-sized rivets in his armor digging into his flesh, he waited for the inevitable fall - which never came.

Turning about, Corat found himself faced with a most unsettling apparition. Ghostly figures extended from a brightly lit hole. The next thing he knew, he was holding the hand of one of these figures, and had been pulled through the hole into - he wasn't really sure what.

As his mind reeled, trying to come to grips with what was happening to him, he recalled the woman's words. Why had he agreed to help this human woman? He snarled and released her hand to draw his sword, but found himself unable to move as the inconcievable surroundings blurred past him.

As he travelled, other thoughts struck him. How could humans do this? They could barely muster the most primitive shamanistic magic. Surely, this was well beyond their ken. Suddenly, the ground loomed up towards him, and he found himself falling towards a gleaming city. This too, must be beyond the human's primitive abilities, but the figures he briefly glanced walking the streets were definitely not goblins, and the chain of people pulling him down seemed to be originating from a building in the city. With one final thought of How could humans be capable of such things? Corat's trip ended with him lapsing into darkness as he crashed into... Something.
-----------------
Though Corat has all the usual prejudices typical to a ranger with a sentient favored enemy, he does not believe that the humans of this world actually are humans. His humans are barbaric to the point of being unable to comprehend civilization. He can't wholly convince himself that these aren't the same brutes he's hated all his life. While he doesn't find himself driven to attack them on sight, he is very uncomfortable around them, and is most often curt and rude when forced to interact.

Necrite
08-18-2008, 07:20 AM
Bah. My nicely formatted notes and organized columns lost everything when copy/pasted. Because it's a straight copy of my notes, I misseb a couple things that are obvious... To me at least.

Corat is a 2nd level Lawful Neutral male hobgoblin ranger.

Everything else should be there.

nijineko
08-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Bah. My nicely formatted notes and organized columns lost everything when copy/pasted.

i know! i've complained about this before. if you wrap it all in
tags it'll retain formatting, but the font and text size will change. not ideal, but better than nothing. ^^

Elbryon
08-18-2008, 10:13 AM
He looks very interesting nonetheless. This should be interesting.

Dax Thura
08-18-2008, 01:19 PM
I'd like one magic item, either to start with, or available on my credit, though not a standard one, so it's up to Nijineko to determine how to deal with it: a traveller's cloak that keeps the wearer comfortable, regadless of heat or cold, and repels rain, snow, mist and road dust, and functions this way when worn normally or used as a blanket.

Might I suggest, at least as a starting point, a cloak of comfort. It gives a +1 to saves and Endure Elements effect. No book on me, but I think it's about 1500gp out of Complete Arcane or Mage.

Necrite
08-18-2008, 01:29 PM
The endure elements is part of what I'm looking for, but the +1 to saves isn't really, and adds a fair amount to the cost. But you're right, it is a good starting place.

Dax Thura
08-22-2008, 03:24 AM
Ashbarex is a tall and robust 17 year old, standing 6'2'' and weighing over 200lbs (high die rolls on the random table as human). His wings, when fully extended have a span of over 12 feet. They are usually kept tucked tight to his body, though, a habit from his youth. His eyes are solid light brown with no whites or irises. He has a brown complexion (darker than his eyes) with two stripes going from green to red, one on each side of his torso, front and back and along the edges of his wings. Ashbarex's shoulders and upper arms are scaled.

I really wanted his heritage to show through in his features, though I am not married to this description if anyone has suggestions. Also, I don't know if the wingspan is appropriate for his size. I just figured each wing to be the same length as he is tall plus the width of his torso.

Ashbarex prefers to wear boots, though he can go comfortably without them, and loose fitting pants. Currently, he's wearing a leather harness that crosses his front and back in an 'X' pattern under his cloak. Ashbarex will often go without a shirt, but he usually has a cloak. If the situation calls for him to have something covering his upper body, Ashbarex will wrap himself in some cloth, wear the looses top he can, or cut holes to allow for his wings.

nijineko
08-22-2008, 05:00 PM
nice description! i hope that everyone posts a description here as an average bystander would see their character. =D

Dax Thura
08-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Thanks. I'm still working on his personality. I hope that the current encounter will help me to solidify who he is.

Dax Thura
08-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Very well done. It evoked a sense of solemnity. You do know your stuff.

nijineko
08-23-2008, 12:50 AM
so long as you don't end up as a partially digested solid, right? ;D

nijineko
08-23-2008, 12:51 AM
*^^*

Elbryon
08-23-2008, 02:20 AM
Very Very cool too bad we're so far apart I think I would enjoy an inperson game even more.

*I hope that doesnt sound to stalker like :(*

nijineko
08-23-2008, 09:48 AM
hahahah. not to an rp'er. i quite understand.

Dax Thura
08-24-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm waiting for the 3 bears to arrive.

nijineko
08-24-2008, 09:23 PM
heheheh. =D

Necrite
08-25-2008, 11:53 AM
A couple things about Elbryon's thread there: Is it Brandylegs (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=39476&postcount=19) or Bandylegs (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7333)?

Also, Search is Int based, so that untrained Search check should have your Int mod (-1) applied. My intention WAS to add a point or two to the roll... didn't realize Int was your dump stat.

nijineko
08-25-2008, 01:41 PM
thank you for those observations!

i will note that in his character post it is brandylegs, but in my character file i somehow managed to put bandylegs. ^^ i assume that the post was intended correct spelling?

Elbryon
08-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Ahh thanks Necrite I didnt even catch that and on the roll I wasnt even thinking about the mod since the skill is not something I have taken I will keep a closer eye on that.

nijineko
08-25-2008, 03:49 PM
hey, necrite, when you searched earlier you had a +7 mod, this last search check you have a +8. looking at your character sheet, it looks like you shorted yourself that earlier check. ^^

Elbryon
08-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Ok now that I've already shut myself out of the other room I am assumeing I left my posessions behind? I know I never said I was picking them up after crawling out of the frigid water and I don't want to assume anything. If this is true and I left what goodies I had with me I now have this mysterious axe I know nothing about yet and the white cloth the figure draped over me. Could you clarify my current situation.

Necrite
08-25-2008, 10:44 PM
hey, necrite, when you searched earlier you had a +7 mod, this last search check you have a +8. looking at your character sheet, it looks like you shorted yourself that earlier check. ^^

Search and Spot are right beside each other on my character sheet. I think I was mybe looking at it cross-eyed or something.

nijineko
08-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Ok now that I've already shut myself out of the other room I am assumeing I left my posessions behind? I know I never said I was picking them up after crawling out of the frigid water and I don't want to assume anything. If this is true and I left what goodies I had with me I now have this mysterious axe I know nothing about yet and the white cloth the figure draped over me. Could you clarify my current situation.

happily. you are no longer dressed in the white robe, but another outfit that was awaiting you when you got out.

your previous belongings were packed with the intent that you should take them. while you did not think (explicitly state) to take them, do not worry. ;D

you are now in the described room. there is one doorway, filled with what appears to be stone.

i assumed that your search check was more of a visual one, as there is not really anything in this room, other than what is described. not even dust.

Elbryon
08-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Yes visual and thankyou I got kinda wrapped up and forgot all about the rest :)

nijineko
08-26-2008, 01:18 AM
i'm glad you find it engrossing. =D

Midnight
08-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Not sure what I'm playing yet. I'll roll stats and go from there. 3 sets of 4d6--first set:
Midnight rolls some dice
Midnight rolls some dice
Midnight rolls some dice
Midnight rolls some dice
Midnight rolls some dice
Midnight rolls some dice
Second:
Midnight rolls some dice
Midnight rolls some dice
Midnight rolls some dice
Midnight rolls some dice
Midnight rolls some dice
Midnight rolls some dice
Third:
Midnight rolls some dice
Midnight rolls some dice
Midnight rolls some dice
Midnight rolls some dice
Midnight rolls some dice
Midnight rolls some dice

Let's see what I get.

Midnight
08-27-2008, 10:57 AM
OK, so adjusting for drop lowest, we have:
15, 11, 15, 14, 17, 11
11, 13, 12, 16, 7, 15
10, 12, 15, 15, 13, 12
Not quite what I'd hoped, but not bad at all. (I'm a little bummed by 2 11s in the first set, but I'll take it.) I'll play with the stats and figure out what's next.

My level

Elbryon
08-27-2008, 11:06 AM
At least you didn't get totally backdoored with a 1 rolled on your lvl die like Necrite and I did :( good to see you.

Midnight
08-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the hello, Elbyron. And yes, I'm happy to be 4th level and not 3rd. Bad luck for you two. :( Then again, you'll gain XP faster than the rest of us, so you'll level soon enough. Besides which, I still get to be jealous of Arahira/Victoria and Dax Thura/Ashbarex.

Dax Thura
08-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Hello Midnight, I've heard so much about you from Nijineko, welcome to the game.

Arahira
08-27-2008, 09:01 PM
LOL...If you're jealous 'cause I rolled such a high level then check out my d20 rolls... that's where I pay for it. Everything needs to balance in the end though, yes?

Anyway welcome to our group! ^_^ Can't wait until I get to read your story.

... OMG!.. I'm being social!

nijineko
08-27-2008, 11:53 PM
roleplaying brings out the best in... our characters... or us... sometimes.... ^^ anyway!

Necrite
08-28-2008, 03:13 AM
I get some extra crappiness on the level roll - I picked a race with a LA. But Niji OKed the optional rule to work it off... In fact, he suggested it.

Welcome to the group.

We can't start without a healor.

... Crap, been on too many PuGs again. :D

nijineko
08-30-2008, 10:05 PM
midnight informs me that the character is almost done, and should be shortly forthcoming. =D i will post a thread for him once i get at least the name. he has an interesting concept, and would like to send me the character sheet, but delay posting it here until everyone has a chance to meet the character. one of those appearances are deceiving ones that would be fun to rp, especially if you only have a desc (which i've asked him to post, at the very least) to go by. he only wants to conceal certain revealing parts of the character, so i'm inclined to have him post the character sheet with those portions only obscured for now. reactions, and feelings about that? i rather undecided, actually, and am hoping that your comments will help swing the balance for me. i'm open to either way.

Midnight
08-30-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm getting ready to post my character. Note that I changed my mind and am NOT making this character's class/race obscure; I came up with a good story for her background, and I can hardly tell it without revealing her class and race. So ignore Nijineko's previous posting about me making my character obscure. Briefly, she is a cleric, but a VERY martially-minded one; so I was toying with the idea of making you think that she was a fighter or barbarian rather than a cleric. She was, in fact, raised in a barbarian tribe, so describing her as a "barbarian" would have been technically correct but quite misleading. :)

Midnight
08-30-2008, 11:11 PM
I am playing a female human cleric of Kord named Rilde Konigsdottir ("Konig's daughter"). She is from the World of Greyhawk, and is from Chendl, capital of Furyondy, by way of the Snow Barbarian tribe.

A caveat: It has been a long time since I played in the WoG, so I remember little except place names. In particular, I know that the Snow Barbarians exist and I seem to recall that they're basically good. Other than that, I don't remember specifics, so forgive me if my descriptions are a little uninformed.

History:
Rilde grew up in the tribe of the Snow Children (for their habit of wearing gear white as the snow), also known as the Snow Barbarians, with her twin sister Fiera; they were both children of the chieftan, Konig (KOE-nig), along with their 3 brothers. The two of them both showed a propensity for war along with a noticable inclination towards the divine. Both of them were tall, muscular women (over 6' tall), almost archetypes of the barbarian woman, so their propensity for warfare was encouraged despite their sex.

Rilde chose the more divine path of the priestess, but indulged her martial calling by agreeing to a Contract with the most popular Power of the barbarians: Kord, god of strength. The Contract called for her to aid and protect her clan and allies with the power of her magic, but also to keep herself strong and fit, wielding weapons and armor to defend by physical as well as magical means, as combat and exertion were the truest signs of faith.(Unfortunately, despite her size and strength, she was always somewhat slow and clumsy; she is a poor shot with any ranged weapon, thus focussing her even more on melee weapons, and she usually reacts after everyone else. [See character sheet for game effects of this.])

Fiera chose a more straightforward martial path, although she still wielded a greatsword in the name of Kord. [ooc note: Fiera is another character of mine who is a paladin of Heironeous.] When they came of age, they helped fight against the savage Ice Barbarians and their orc allies, who continually tested the resolve of the Snow Children with border raids.

They found that the Ice Barbarians and orcs were becoming more numerous, and aided by foul divine magics. Rumors grew that they had made a Contract with a newly-freed Power of great evil: Iuz. Shortly afterward, emissaries from the soft southern land of Furyondy arrived seeking allies against this same Iuz. Konig welcomed them and began to talk about alliances, but this was interrupted by a brutal attack of Ice Barbarians and orcs, aided by foul creatures of the lower planes and by magics both arcane and divine.

The "soft" southerners proved anything but soft, aiding their allies-to-be with mighty weapons. Their leader was Randil, a human paladin of Heironeous, god of valor; unusually, he wielded an enormous poleaxe to great effect, cleaving a demon in two and slaying the leader of the orcs in the same blow, and his seemingly unwieldy armor of heavy plate protected him from attacks. His bravery and skill would have unexpected effects upon the sisters.

The Snow Children, together with their new allies, defeated the attack, slaying the attackers to the last, but at great cost. Their father and two of their brothers were slain, along with many others in the tribe and every emmissary but Randil. It was agreed that Rilde and Fiera would accompany Randil back to Furyondy to learn more from Furyondy, continuing the war there, and that Fiera would marry Randil to seal the alliance.

Rilde, admiring Randil's skill, asked him to teach her about his strange weapon and heavy armor; she proved adept with the long, heavy weapon and chose to use it (much to the scorn of many other worshippers of Kord, as she abandoned his favored weapon, the greatsword, which she had never felt comfortable with). Fiera was inspired by his courage and valor to convert to the worship of Heironeous, although somewhat ironically she chose to continue using the more traditional greatsword. This infuriated both Rilde and her brother Karl to the point where Rilde and Fiera came to blows, as Rilde saw this as an abandonment of the tribe's views on freedom and did not care for Fiera's new belief in law and order. Fiera, even more martially-minded than Rilde, won the fight. The next day the two of them made up to a certain extent, but there were still hurt feelings between them.

Rilde has spent the last two days caring for the many wounded, always with her newly-forged poleaxe (a gift from Randil in an attempt to calm the waters between the two sisters) within arm's reach. She hears a strange music and finds herself elsewhere, cursing that she does not have her weapon in hand…

Midnight
08-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Rilde's HP, with Con 15 and max HP for 1st level

Midnight
08-30-2008, 11:59 PM
NOTE: As described in my background, this character was caught with almost no gear at all; I decided to make life difficult for myself. :biggrin:

DESCRIPTION:
Rilde is a human woman whose barbarian raising and love of combat shows in every line of her body. She is 6'2" and about 180 pounds, with pale blonde hair, deep blue eyes and very pale skin; she moves slowly but with great conviction. A thin but not disfiguring scar runs from her right eye to her right ear. Despite her martial appearance, she currently is dressed in plain furs and no armor, with a package of bandages and salves in hand rather than a weapon. She has a simple pack of leather on her back and a belt with a tooled leather pouch on one hip and a finely-crafted dagger (with a hilt of carved ivory) on the other. An orange medallion with a black design of crossed lines etched on it is around her neck, shining with a pale light.

Rilde Konigsdottir
Female human Cleric 4
CG Medium Humanoid
Init -6 (see below); Senses Listen +2, Spot +2
Languages Common, Abyssal
AC 10 (no armor, Dex +0), touch 10, flat-footed 10
hp 30 (4d8 + 16)
Fort +6 Refl +1 Will +6
Speed 30'
Melee Dagger +8 (1d4+4)
Ranged Dagger +4 (1d4+4)
Base Atk +3; Grp +7
Combat Gear Masterwork dagger, a few scrolls
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Cleric spells (5 0th/4+1 1st/3+1 2nd)
0) Guidance, Resistance, Light, Detect Poison, Detect Magic
1) Enlarge Person (D), Divine Power, Lesser Vigor x2, Bless
2) Bull's Strength (D), Eagle's Splendor, Hold Person, Silence
Abilities Str 18 Dex 11 Con 15 Int 11 Wis 15 Cha 14
SQ Spells; domains: Luck (1 reroll/day), Strength (+4 enhancement bonus to Str for 1 round once/day)
Feats Cleave, Divine Might, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (heavy poleaxe), Power Attack, Skill Focus: Concentration
Flaws Shaky, Unreactive
(NOTE: Shaky -- all ranged attack rolls are at -2 to hit; Unreactive--takes a -6 penalty on Initiative rolls)
Skills Concentration +12, Diplomacy +2, Heal +9, Knowledge (Religion) +7, Speak Language (Abyssal)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Possessions masterwork dagger, pack, masterwork healer's kit, pen, ink, paper, medallion with Kord's symbol (an abstract design of black, crossed lines in a star on an orange background) and continual flame cast on it, spare medallion (in pouch), scrolls of Enlarge Person, Bull's Strength and Eagle's Splendor, one-day supply of food and water, two heavy bracelets of hacksilver (rather notched) worth 50 gp.

nijineko
08-31-2008, 08:19 PM
nicely done on the background. very enjoyable. =D

Arahira
09-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Yes. Very nice!

LOL. I feel as if I failed in my back ground story but then again I've never been much of a writer. Posting my background though would have ruined the effects of my character so thus Niji is the only one to suffer the effects of my poor writing skills. xD

Midnight
09-01-2008, 01:15 AM
To be honest, I rarely write down that much about a character; I do come up with complicated backgrounds, but it's mostly floating around in my head. This time I found myself inspired and just kept writing things down and revising them. To be honest, I decided on the characters' odd classes and weapon choices (one a barbarian converted to a lawful paladin, the other a cleric with a weapon choice that wasn't her deity's main weapon) and found myself needing to make up a backstory that explained these oddities.

nijineko
09-01-2008, 01:44 AM
i didn't suffer. much. XD seriously, you underestimate yourself, arahira. i'm certain that as you develop your character more over the course of roleplaying, that you will find that you have more and more of a detailed background story. you already have a complex and intricate background brimming with potential for many different directions. i suspect that you get in your own way, sometimes. =D "let go of your feelings, arahira. trust the force." ;D

Necrite
09-08-2008, 03:53 AM
NIJI... Niji... niji... niji....
NEKO... Neko... neko... neko....

Where are you... you... you....

nijineko
09-08-2008, 05:01 PM
?? i'm about. school has started though, so my post freqency will likely be closer to once or twice a week. it takes concentration to posts these storylines. ^^ this isn't stuff i can just toss off the cuff, at least most of it isn't.

Arahira
09-09-2008, 02:41 AM
NIJI... Niji... niji... niji....
NEKO... Neko... neko... neko....

Where are you... you... you....
LOL ....What are you commenting for you're the only one that hasn't posted yet. Niji can't move your story along if you don't post :P

nijineko
09-10-2008, 12:43 PM
well, i wasn't going to say anything... but since it was brought up by another... i'll go ahead and chuckle at the irony. ^^

Dax Thura
09-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Necrite, dude, what are you doing? Don't you know it's bad form to jump in on a knife fight where you're the prize? Just sit back, enjoy the show, and be ready to do whatever the winner wants.

Necrite
09-19-2008, 02:03 AM
Ha!

I often play my fighters a bit too big for their own britches. I've had NPCs back down when I was OBVIOUSLY outclasses because they thought I HAD to be stronger than I looked to go up against them (that would be what I'm hoping for here), and I've had characters killed because I bit off more than I could chew (hopefully, this WON'T happen here). We'll see how things go.

And if you think what I did here was bad, remind me not to tell you about the time my level 6 Fighter took on the avatar of a god and walked away, not only alive, but unharmed. :D

Dax Thura
09-19-2008, 11:19 PM
I have a few examples of those 'bold' maneuvers myself. They can be really fun whether they work or not.

nijineko
09-20-2008, 03:53 PM
i had one character take on a fully adult blue dragon once and win... more or less single handed combat, to boot. of course, i stacked the odds as much in my favor as possible, considering the "one vs one restriction-no direct interference clause" i was under.

Dax Thura
09-20-2008, 11:26 PM
I had one take on a Fang Dragon, while unarmed and unarmored, and survive! Just so we're clear, that was one of those times that a 'bold' maneuver did not work.

Dax Thura
09-20-2008, 11:31 PM
"Bears three was the job,
Like the oak leaf among pine,
A human intrudes."

Okay, let's see how long you can keep this up.

nijineko
09-20-2008, 11:46 PM
i'll take that challenge! i've been good at that particular style since i was in elementary school. =D

nijineko
09-23-2008, 05:45 PM
by the way, just to let everyone know, i'm going to be down on frequency of posts. likely until the winter break. i will try for once a week, or after everyone has responded, depending on what's going on. typicially i have to wait until i'm assigned a certain post that is usually pretty slow and has computer access for me to have enough time to compose the posts. once i'm home it's schoolwork and bed and playing with the boys and spending time with the wife. ^^

this week is likely to be particularly late as i have been under extra stress. among other things, i was bitten at work a few days ago by someone not in their right mind, and then had to assist in forcibly restraining them at the hospital i work at. sigh. so, i'm not in the best of peacful creative mindsets just at the moment. *^^*

Dax Thura
10-02-2008, 10:15 PM
"The job was for three,
Here they are before you all,
You'll take them right now!"

I reserve judgment on that you'll, but good job.

nijineko
10-02-2008, 11:01 PM
well, the fox isn't as good at it as i am. ^^ he tries his best, though, so that counts for something. =D

Necrite
10-05-2008, 08:31 PM
i was bitten at work

Didja bite him back?

nijineko
10-05-2008, 11:10 PM
would have cost me my job. i contemplated breaking his jaw, but rejected that as a response born of anger, and not appropriate for a follower of jesus. so i simply shifted my grip and continued to hold the individual down until the nurse brought his injection. and sought medical attention promptly. lousy job, where you have to hold people down because they legally have lost their rights due to self harm. fortunately, that particular aspect of the job only crops up rarely. the darker side of a hospital.

nijineko
10-08-2008, 06:06 PM
three tests coming up, homework, serious life changes (more on that later), lots of studying, work, church, and most importantly, family all equals no posting. *^^* as soon as i can, i will post regularly again. my schedule should clear up by the end of november-ish, maybe. but i'll try really hard to post something much sooner than that!

nijineko
10-09-2008, 10:03 PM
posted! except for corat's thread, i'm still waiting on necrite for a response. =D

Necrite
10-13-2008, 02:09 AM
I'm sorry!

I apparently handle this WORSE when I don't have a DM breathing down my neck. A level head actually works a cocky display of bravado.

*Edit, after posting* Goody. I may have impressed him IF he's a club-footed halfling child with stunted growth...

nijineko
10-14-2008, 03:28 AM
well... i could pepper your im and email with messages if that would really make you feel better.... ^^

Dax Thura
10-15-2008, 11:45 AM
"So many monkeys
Only three of us is there
What purpose for this?"

Ok, now you guys are starting to worry me.

nijineko
10-15-2008, 12:49 PM
ah, encouragement! =D we'll do our best!

Necrite
10-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Ok, now you guys are starting to worry me.

What is the matter?
Everyone likes haikus.
Get with the program.

nijineko
10-15-2008, 11:32 PM
haiku, floating,
leaves upon a chill breeze soft,
promise of sleep.

{note: unlike the english mispronunciation of hai-ku, in japanese it has three syllables of equal length, like thus: ha-i-ku.
hence my first line does have five. =D you've made me think of a song! lucky you.
"everyone was haiku fighting, those verse were fast as lightning..."
sorry, just saw kung fu panda recently. ^^ }

Necrite
10-16-2008, 01:21 AM
If you want to be particular, I really don't think my "haikus" is correct either. :P

nijineko
10-16-2008, 01:55 AM
oh that wasn't aimed at you. i was thinking that i might get corrected, actually, so i was explaining the japanese language justification for my word choice.

Arahira
10-16-2008, 12:44 PM
RAWR! to the lot o' ya!! >.<

nijineko
10-19-2008, 12:40 AM
here is the more information i mentioned earlier. =D

i am moving. across the country. ^^ so in addition to all the above mentioned, i have to pack and move. and sell what we can't take. so please forgive business and slow posting. it'll pick up once i'm done with all this and started my new job.

nijineko
11-10-2008, 09:29 PM
moving day is tomorrow! so i'll be offline for a week at least, unless the stops along the way have free wifi. i don't know how long it'll be before i get access again. but if i have to drop by the local library or restaurant for wifi, i will. =D

so don't worry! i won't leave everyone hanging any longer than i have to!

nijineko
11-24-2008, 03:56 PM
so. i'm here in california, now. the only access i have is from work, so i am pretty limited for the moment. as soon as i can get regular access, somehow, i'll be posting for the games i'm running again! you have not been abandonded, just that the gm is offline (mostly)!!! thank you for all of your patience! i WILL start the games up as soon as i am able. =D

nijineko
12-02-2008, 11:12 AM
i can be contacted on a regular basis via the usual messenger clients (yim, aim, msnim) now. do keep in mind that i'm at work as i don't yet have other internet access.

Elbryon
12-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Glad to se you back at it niji

nijineko
12-18-2008, 07:11 PM
yup! i'm back! i'm still getting up to speed, but i'll be posting again! =D not only that, but i can be reached via my usual contact methods, too: aim, msnim, yim, skype, email, pm, and so forth. ^^ i've missed being online and gaming with everyone terribly!

Dax Thura
03-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Are they bugbears?
--- Merged from Double Post ---
I continue to be impressed and entertained by the hiakus (sp?) of Nijineko and Arahira. I'm not familiar with the 5-7-5-7-7 cadence though.

nijineko
03-12-2009, 11:22 PM
it is referred to as "tanka".

many times a pair of friends, acquaintances, or enemies would exchange haiku as a puzzle, challenge, or riddle in a zen-like way. or simply a competition as to whom could come up with the most subtle references.

one form of these competitions was for the first person to send a haiku, then the recipient would write the next two lines making it into a tanka. frequently they would add their own haiku, which the original person would then be likewise challenged into making the haiku into an appropriate tanka.

for various cultural reasons i won't go into, i am given to understand that writing a full tanka off the bat is considered a feminine form of poetry.

oh, and the plural form is the same as the singular form for both words. actually, the vast majority of japanese words have no separate plural.

nijineko
04-10-2009, 03:54 AM
my apologies everyone, job hunting takes a lot of time plus family being sick for a week, has made it difficult for me to get around to posting for the last few weeks. i'll try to post shortly. and someone poke necrite, still waiting on a response to his thread. not that i'm in any position to poke anyone about posting... that's why i'm asking one of you to do it. ;) heheheheh.

Elbryon
04-13-2009, 04:24 PM
no poke needed I see he's posted so just get all your stuff wrapped up it happens to all of us from time to time. We'll be here when you get back.

nijineko
04-14-2009, 01:02 AM
thank you kindly! it is great to have such an understanding group!

Elbryon
04-17-2009, 09:38 AM
So job found? Welcome back niji

nijineko
04-17-2009, 03:25 PM
unfortunately no, no job found yet. but i had some time, so i made sure to post. if anyone knows of someone hiring, let me know. =D

Dax Thura
06-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Are they bugbears?

nijineko
06-17-2009, 08:10 PM
you mean the guys you are talking to?

Dax Thura
06-18-2009, 12:57 AM
Yeah them. I'm still trying to figure out what race these Horntusks are.

nijineko
06-18-2009, 01:16 AM
well, the description so far was given earlier in the thread. the unhelmed one looks human enough, despite the snaggle tooth/fang thing. the other one hasn't taken off his helmet yet. i should mention that he has an almost polynesian structure to his face.

nijineko
06-26-2009, 11:45 AM
change in disallowed books, after further review and consideration additional books have been disallowed. the full disallowed list now consists of the following: book of exalted deeds (boed), book of vile darkness (bovd), exemplars of evil (eoe), elder evils (ee), champions of ruin (cor), fiendish codex 1 (fc1), and fiendish codex 2 (fc2). this is consistent with the campaign rule disallowing evil player characters. as the boed, companion volume to the bovd, has been disallowed for certain reasons, the cov, companion volume to the cor, will be likewise evaluated for placement on the disallowed list.

Dax Thura
06-27-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm stumped. What are they?

nijineko
06-29-2009, 11:01 AM
=D you'll either figure it out during this encounter, or i'll explain it after you... survive, the encounter one way or another. ^^

Midnight
08-03-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm following this thread with interest. One note: Initiative is 1d20 (plus initiative modifier), not 1d10.

Midnight
08-18-2009, 10:21 AM
No posts in a long time--are people still there?

Dax Thura
08-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Still kicking and screaming.

Elbryon
08-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Yep I'm still here

Arahira
08-19-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm still here waiting patiently for whenever Niji has the time to post.

nijineko
08-20-2009, 12:42 AM
yeah, i'm still around. finally found a part time job, (hooray!) and i've been pretty busy besides... (and felt guilty whenever i wasn't job-searching....) *^^* it may take me a while, but you can pretty much count on the cat coming back. short of something preemptively distracting... like maybe death, or some natural disaster, ne?

=D

Midnight
09-10-2009, 01:18 PM
My wife and I are about to adopt a baby boy from South Korea. We'll be flying there next weekend. While we're there, posting will be spotty. Afterwards, I'll try to keep up with posts, but depending on new-child hassles, it may still be spotty. If necessary, nijineko can take over my character. It's been great playing with everyone.

Thanks,
midnight42

Arahira
09-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Well congratulations to you! I wish you much luck. ^_^

Elbryon
09-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Congrats and have fun with him/her

Dax Thura
09-19-2009, 12:02 AM
Do you realize I haven't leveled in over a year now? When do I get to level?

nijineko
09-21-2009, 04:20 PM
heh. i've been thinking about that actually. quite a lot. work on that is in progress. ^^

one thought i've had is to hand out xp after each chapter in the story. the reason i'm slightly leaning towards that is because each chapter has slow parts and fast parts, with a corresponding flow of potential xp. since i've been doing a more story oriented format, i have to be careful to identify story goals and rewards, not just combat. i like a more goal-oriented approach to handing out xp. progress then becomes a matter of reaching goals, not killing things and taking treasure, per se. ^^ (though i'm sure some goals can be reached that way....) i have identified certain 'chapter break points' in each player's storyline already. most of you are not that far from reaching the first one. =D

nijineko
09-28-2009, 12:46 AM
alright everyone. i have some good news and some bad news. as is my wont, i will start with the "bad" news. despite the fact that i've been spending only a fraction of my time with posting on rp and my other online projects, i've been spending too much time on the computer overall. i've noticed behavioral changes in the wife and boys that indicate that i'm too distant, or distracted, or busy... and i won't have that.

so i'll be spending a lot less time on the computer, and more time with the family. which means that the various online based projects and rp i'm involved with will take a serious hit in my attending to them.

the good news is that i will still make an effort to maintain involvement, but it will be more like a once or twice every month or three... or possibly even less often. i will be reachable via email, though much less often via pm or im. if you need to reach me, email me-or call if you have my number. ^^

again, this does not mean i am abandoning anyone, nor does it mean i am dropping anything, per se. if it does come to that somehow, someday, i will let everyone affected know specifically.
it does mean, however, that there will be loooooong gaps between when i look in to take care of something. if anyone cannot work with this, i fully understand, please contact me to work out any details. =D

like the cat of proverb, i'll always come by again... eventually. ^^

another piece of good news, i have a second part time job, so i am busy learning the in's and out's of that one, in addition to learning the first one. i'm near a month at my first job, and just finished the first week at the second job. looking forward to being able to pay more of the bills, that's for sure!

questions, comments, and in general, communications are welcome!

Elbryon
09-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Good luck niji

Arahira
09-28-2009, 07:52 PM
You are a good man, Niji, for noticing before it was too late and caring enough to fix it. I shall check continuously for your posts and wait patiently. Have fun with your family! ^_^

nijineko
10-15-2009, 07:13 PM
i'm going to try an experiment with arahira... she has a third-party vouched-for long history of dice-prejudice... that is, dice seem to hate her. as such, for a limited time of unspecified duration, i'm going to experiment with letting her roll three times for each event that requires a roll.

hopefully this will have one or more of several effects: breaking the streak, verifying that all forms of dice do indeed hate her, possibly suggest alternate methodologies of conflict resolution, affect her metaphysical inter-relationship with chaos theory, possibly suggesting alternate modalities of interaction with dice-like objects thus altering the nature of the relationship, or some heretofore un-realized alteration of potentiality.

this notification is a courtesy to the group at large, as i know that some, if not most of you, follow each others' stories. questions, comments, concerns, or anything regarding this situation should please be directed only to me. thank you! =D

in any case... "let's see what happens".

Midnight
10-15-2009, 10:18 PM
"Let's see what happens"--particularly appropriate, since Emperor in one world is roughly equivalent to DM in another. :laugh:

(For those who don't recognize the quote: There is a certain Emperor in novels by Lois Bujold who is noted for saying that. If you don't know who Lois Bujold is, get Cordelia's Honor or Young Miles and find out!)

Arahira
10-16-2009, 04:03 AM
w00h00!

Midnight
10-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Reading Variorum of Victoria--nice rolls, especially the natural 20!

Sorry for posting in your thread--got carried away.

Arahira
10-29-2009, 10:24 AM
No Problem, happens to all of us. ^_^; and thanks again!

nijineko
10-29-2009, 11:38 AM
thanks, both of you. i've deleted the posts from the game thread. midnight was quite right, you get to roll to confirm the crit, arahira. i get excited reading the posts as well. =D

nijineko
12-30-2009, 01:21 AM
i'm going to be offline for a while. my gmail account might still get through to me; i might be able to check it from work occasionally. phone is still good for those of you that have it. in the mean time, happy new year! i'll be in touch when i can.

nijineko
05-18-2011, 04:00 PM
update to my personal status: working full-time at one of the jobs i was previously part-time at, for much better wages. now making just enough to get by on a monthly basis. (hooray! especially in these tight financial times! not to mention living in expensive california) going to school online, which is going well even though i had to drop down from full-time to part-time again, but the little ones really need quality time. i can't shirk on that supremely important role of father, as no success outside of my home will ever compensate for failure in my home! picked up a scooter, which is great for getting around oceanside, and saves so much on gas! i pay maybe $4-8 a week for it. =D (not counting breakdowns) religious duties continue as always, it's great to be able to help out others when they really need it. overall, things are going pretty well. =D

today i happen to be home sick, so i thought i would take advantage of this unusual event to actually post. ^^ call it a blue moon day. =D

Arahira
05-19-2011, 06:41 PM
We'll take ya anyway we can get ya Niji. =D It's good to see you and your family are doing well.

nijineko
12-18-2011, 11:17 PM
okay, so update time for everyone. i know i was hoping to get my posts up to once a month. that has obviously not happened. part of the reason is i had a motorcycle accident and broke my hand. what with schoolwork one-handed, i didn't have the energy left over to also work out adventures. plus, i had promised to finish up one particular project, so what left over energy i had was being directed that way.

let's see how i do over the next few weeks. i'll try to get caught up. =D thank you everyone for your patience.

Arahira
12-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the update Niji and I'm glad to hear you're alright. :D

Dax Thura
01-09-2012, 04:14 AM
I'm doomed. This girl is too good to be caught by the likes of me. She's off somewhere setting up a new life having this guy's baby. She'll see me coming from miles away and be off weeks before I new she was there. I got to figure out what I'm missing.

nijineko
01-16-2012, 02:56 AM
heheheh. she is quite the intelligent young lady. given the time gap between when the bard left, and her recent disappearance, i myself wonder just how she expects to find this bard. i think it obvious that she seems quite aware of the resources of the house, and has taken some pains to account for them.

Midnight
08-03-2013, 12:15 AM
After a long period of no posts, I wanted to say: Welcome back! It seems that only Arahira/Victoria and I (Midnight/Rilde) are posting, as well as Nijineko of course. Anyway, I am reading all posts with great interest. Good luck escaping! Perhaps the friendly monkeys can help.

Dax Thura
08-03-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm back now, as well. It's been a while, could you remind me what Know Stones are and where I can I find them?

Midnight
08-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Welcome back, Dax/Ashbarex! Good luck finding the tome, etc.

Midnight
08-14-2013, 03:10 PM
A small detail about Rilde's character sheet: I accidentally got her Str and Wis wrong--it's written as Str 18 Wis 15; should be Str 16 Wis 17. May I fix it?

nijineko
08-14-2013, 03:38 PM
please do. anything i can do to help?

Midnight
08-15-2013, 12:24 AM
You can tell me what template I just picked up. :-) Otherwise I'm fine.

nijineko
08-15-2013, 09:27 AM
You picked up the Ship-Bonded template. It is a five level template, you managed to make the saves for two of the three level infusions that you were subjected to. There are some HD as well as LA involved. I will write it up all nice and formal and get it to you.