PDA

View Full Version : Destiny point problem

Inquisitor Tremayne
04-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Aside from teh fact that destiny points are uber-powerful and unbalance an encounter VERY quickly...

I have found another "problem". Recently two characters in the game I run have fulfilled their destiny. Now they may choose to select another destiny or not. The problem is that if they do not, the rest of the party will still be gaining destiny points, which means I will still be building enemy PCs with destiny points, which means that these other two characters will begin to have a difficult time with encounters with they do not choose another destiny.

Sure the simple solution to that is to not build any enemy NPCs with destiny points, but I have found that this tips the scale WAY to much in favor of the PCs. Since there are 4 and soon to be 5 of them, they could essentially kill off my main villain in one round if they each spend a destiny point to auto crit.

I am also against forcing them to take one to even out the playing field.

How would you handle this? Any thoughts or ideas?

jayphailey
04-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Assign them generic destiny points for helping the other PCs accomplish their destinies.

Jay ~Meow!~

GBVenkman
04-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Assign them generic destiny points for helping the other PCs accomplish their destinies.

Jay ~Meow!~

That and make it so they may want to use destiny points before that uber boss perhaps?

There are many non combat situations where the players might want to use them. Once, a grenade went off on a catwalk above this chasm which caused the walk to go vertical. I was the only one, if I remember correctly, to use a force point on my climb check. Needless to say, all my buddies slid down on top of each other while I held on. Lucky for them the drop was only 30 feet, but they were all knocked out and low on HP.

Situations more dire than even that may get the players to use those destiny and force points up more readily.

Inquisitor Tremayne
04-22-2008, 08:50 AM

Jay ~Meow!~

That and make it so they may want to use destiny points before that uber boss perhaps?

There are many non combat situations where the players might want to use them. Once, a grenade went off on a catwalk above this chasm which caused the walk to go vertical. I was the only one, if I remember correctly, to use a force point on my climb check. Needless to say, all my buddies slid down on top of each other while I held on. Lucky for them the drop was only 30 feet, but they were all knocked out and low on HP.

Situations more dire than even that may get the players to use those destiny and force points up more readily.

Right, right, I have no problem getting them to USE their destiny points. The problem is that now that it has been introduced into my campaign, a PC that chooses NOT to have a destiny COULD have a much harder time with encounters than the PCs that DO have destiny points.

I am also not keen on the idea of assigning "random" destiny points to players that have not chosen a destiny. Despite my house rules, I don't like to break from RAW.

It may be interesting to see how it actually plays out in the game. I am also kinda on the fence about how I feel about a character choosing another destiny after they have completed their previous one. Seems to kind of take the importance off of destinies at that point. But eh...

jayphailey
04-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Assign 'em a mystery destiny and let them play "Marco Polo with it."

Jay ~Meow!~

GBVenkman
04-22-2008, 01:16 PM
make them earn a new destiny perhaps?

I never used the destiny system anyhow as my group had enough on their plate when it came to learning the game.

Other than that, maybe make it mandatory if you're going to use them. Although some players may choose not to use them if they like a challenge. I've had players basically shoot themselves in the foot just because it's more interesting to them.

Inquisitor Tremayne
04-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah, i think for now I am going to leave it up to the player and see how it plays out. I think the two who have yet to choose are going to pick another one so all of this may have been moot.

hmm... I am interested to see how it works with out destinies.