PDA

View Full Version : D&D D&D 4th Edition Game System License

PnP News Bot
04-17-2008, 01:41 PM
http://www.wizards.com/books/images/dnd_logo_small.jpg

Check out this new article Wizards of the Coast posted recently:

D&D 4th Edition Game System License (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4news/20080417a)

Wizards of the Coast is pleased to announce that third-party publishers will be allowed to publish products compatible with the Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition game system under the new D&D 4E Game System License.... (More)

Maelstrom
04-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Most excellent news for those of those that want to create for 4e, and those of us that plan on playing the system!

This is a much better approach than the system that was initially proposed.

gdmcbride
04-18-2008, 12:47 AM
Most excellent news for those of those that want to create for 4e, and those of us that plan on playing the system!

This is a much better approach than the system that was initially proposed.

Alas, they released no details on what the new SRD will look like or what the GSL will allow. Until I know those two details it is very difficult to be excited by this announcement.

And I still wonder why something that was originally supposed to be released in November is going to be (assuming they make this deadline) eight months late.

Gary

Maelstrom
04-18-2008, 05:47 AM
Probably because of the backlash they got from their first idea...

Riftwalker
04-18-2008, 08:14 AM
I wonder how 3rd party content will fit within the D&D Insider subscription mechanism? If you buy a book from FFG, for example, will its features be available in the character creation app?

gdmcbride
04-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Probably because of the backlash they got from their first idea...

No doubt. It is very likely that there has been in a great struggle inside WOTC over the open gaming license. I'm pretty sure I know who the pro-GSL forces were -- Scott Rouse (senior brand manager) and Linae Foster (license director) at least.

But who was against it? That remains a mystery.

So the GSL that we will see in June may be the result of an internal compromise. And without knowing anything about that compromise or the license itself, it is very difficult to predict how restrictive it will be.

I'm glad for the announcement. It clears the air about whether 4th edition will be open. But there are still a lot of unanswered questions.

Gary

Maelstrom
04-19-2008, 01:28 PM
I wonder how 3rd party content will fit within the D&D Insider subscription mechanism? If you buy a book from FFG, for example, will its features be available in the character creation app?

Or in the Rules Database for that matter.

A question I have wondered about myself.