PDA

View Full Version : You're favorite Sci-Fi/Futuristic RPG of all time?

Inquisitor Tremayne
04-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Since obviously there is a super huge amount of them. (see this (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3304) thread.)

Give me a list of some of the more popular games out there that folks are playing and i will post a poll when we have a decent selection.

Right now all I got is Star Wars, Shadowrun, and D20 Future (anyone play this?).

What else are you playing?

tesral
04-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Well for setting I can't beat Star Trek. I love it. The thing is to get a good Star Trek game you need Trekkies that are also gamers. Trek is a different head than the average RPG.

I don't hew to any given system, its the setting I dig. I have source books from four or five Trek and Trek-like efforts I use ot spice up my game.

I've played Traveler and Star Wars. A short dip into each. The Trek game has been running more or less since 1997.

boulet
04-10-2008, 11:43 PM
I ran a few sessions of Athanor, a French sci-fi RPG in the 90s. This game didn't have a real success there : a bit complicated, a bit too ambitious too. But the concepts were neat : our planet has been overwhelmed by man-made viruses and every life form suffer permanent mutation, not every generation mind you, in real time. One can take medicines to prevent that but generally animals, plants and humans have specific traits depending on their local ecosystem. Human populations become very focused on their local ground and quite xenophobic, especially big cities people who live in an hermetic environment saturated with stabilizers. Mutations stimulated psych powers too and the game had many quotes from Philip K Dick Ubik (which I love btw).

I remember was a very nice sourcebook for Venezzia, sci-fi meets medieval culture and carnaval. One of those games I read and reread even if I'll never play them anymore...

Zigurdain
04-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Alternity

Lame that it fell right on the twilight of TSR and then Rich Baker got snatched up for WoTC lines. Could have been a much greater game with better timing.

Best thing about the game was that it was one of the best toolbox games I'd ever seen. (Even the new World of Darkness games don't come close to the customization of that game.)

Anyway, by far and away the best, but few have heard of it.

b8amack
04-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Spacemaster
Robotech (even though Palladium is pretty much the worst system ever, I still have a soft spot for that game... although I have run it as a Spacemaster campaign instead, and it works so much better.)

Haven't actually played Blue Planet, but I've been reading it, and I like the idea of it.

GBVenkman
04-19-2008, 10:42 PM
Ghostbusters?

tesral
04-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Ghostbusters?

Who you gonna call?

Farcaster
04-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Well for setting I can't beat Star Trek. I love it. The thing is to get a good Star Trek game you need Trekkies that are also gamers. Trek is a different head than the average RPG.

Ahh, too bad you're not in the same area as me. I'm with you on Star Trek. It would definitely be my favorite futuristic setting. I've played it in several incarnations, including the original FASA edition, the ST:TNG update, the Star Fleet battles rendition (what was that called anyway? Prime Directive?), and the Paramount / Unicorn Games version. I really enjoy the problem solving / mystery aspect to which Star Trek games lend themselves well.

Webhead
04-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Favorite Sci-Fi RPG of all time? Well, I couldn't give it to anything other than Star Wars D6 no matter how hard I tried. That was basically the gateway RPG for me and the one with the fullest and most positive longevity of any RPG I've ever played. No RPG has brought me more fun, excitement and fantastic story-telling than Star Wars D6. If someone told me that I could only keep one of my RPG books, I would choose my Star Wars corebook...then I would curl up in a ball and weep. :D

Sci Fi RPGs are a tricky bit for me. I've tried so many and liked so few. Not that they were necessarily bad games, just not games that seemed to convey long-term interest to me. There were a few that I did like though:

Cyberpunk 2020
Shadowrun (liked the setting but not the rules)
Paranoia (oh yeah)
Original Gamma World (really science-fantasy, but one could call it Sci-Fi)

I recently picked up Rocketship Empires 1936 and it looks quite promising. It seems like the most unique and interesting sci-fi RPG I've seen in a long time and that might be just the thing to fill my non-Star Wars sci-fi niche. Something that I have tried hard to fill for several years with no success.

teckno72
04-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Star Frontiers (from TSR--can be downloaded off the Net free--ask me)
(Aeon) Trinity from White Wolf is one of my favorite games.
I need to get the Blake's 7 game.
Oh, and Dr. Who.
Serenity.
Continuum. Great time travel game.
Engel.
Shadowrun and Star Wars. :eek:

GBVenkman
04-25-2008, 01:56 AM
Favorite Sci-Fi RPG of all time? Well, I couldn't give it to anything other than Star Wars D6 no matter how hard I tried. That was basically the gateway RPG for me and the one with the fullest and most positive longevity of any RPG I've ever played. No RPG has brought me more fun, excitement and fantastic story-telling than Star Wars D6. If someone told me that I could only keep one of my RPG books, I would choose my Star Wars corebook...then I would curl up in a ball and weep. :D

Sci Fi RPGs are a tricky bit for me. I've tried so many and liked so few. Not that they were necessarily bad games, just not games that seemed to convey long-term interest to me. There were a few that I did like though:

Cyberpunk 2020
Shadowrun (liked the setting but not the rules)
Paranoia (oh yeah)
Original Gamma World (really science-fantasy, but one could call it Sci-Fi)

I recently picked up Rocketship Empires 1936 and it looks quite promising. It seems like the most unique and interesting sci-fi RPG I've seen in a long time and that might be just the thing to fill my non-Star Wars sci-fi niche. Something that I have tried hard to fill for several years with no success.

My first RPG experience was with d6 SW. I never learned about dnd until later, and I've still only played dnd a few times (out side of NWN.) Those d6s were great.

tesral
04-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Ahh, too bad you're not in the same area as me. I'm with you on Star Trek. It would definitely be my favorite futuristic setting. I've played it in several incarnations, including the original FASA edition, the ST:TNG update, the Star Fleet battles rendition (what was that called anyway? Prime Directive?), and the Paramount / Unicorn Games version. I really enjoy the problem solving / mystery aspect to which Star Trek games lend themselves well.

Yep. However I currently play it nearly systemless. I have all of the above except the Deciper game (It wasn't different enough from the LUG version to bother with). and all of all of the above but have never played any of them. No face to face Star Trek to my name. It is about the only game I play on line, and only with one person. Yea, Strange New Worlds is the flavor of choice.

I find the on line medium good for the kind of descriptive prose required to really get the flavor of the game. Helps I have been writing ST fiction for eleven years now.

DetCord
06-13-2008, 04:37 PM
For me it has to be CyberPunk 2020. Spent years running campaigns for that. Its easy to use, flexable and has a nice fast combat system ( once tweeked). Not forgeting the whole us Vs The world feel of the game.

ronpyatt
06-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Psi World was a fantastic near-futuristic campaign the was hard to put away.
Status Quo was the best future space setting game I ever played. Rich, complex, and loads of fun. I wonder if they ever published the books?

nijineko
06-14-2008, 09:42 PM
well, my first inclination would be towards star frontiers as clunky as it was. one's first rpg game and all that.

to this day i'm fond of frontier exploration type rpg style of play, especially if they are sci-fi.

agoraderek
06-22-2008, 11:39 PM
paranoia was the game du jour for a while, shadowrun was the alternative to d&d for my early 90's groups.

when i was younger, i LOVED traveller, though.

tesral
06-23-2008, 12:41 AM
paranoia was the game du jour for a while, shadowrun was the alternative to d&d for my early 90's groups.
when i was younger, i LOVED traveller, though.

Traveler is the only SF game I played way back when. The game sort of dried up and blew away however.

Aidan
06-23-2008, 01:44 AM
I liked Traveller. I had about a dozen books. High Guard, Scouts, Robots...can't remember them all. Lost them some time ago.

I helped run a GURPS Space campaign for a few years as well.

tesral
06-23-2008, 09:24 AM
I liked Traveller. I had about a dozen books. High Guard, Scouts, Robots...can't remember them all. Lost them some time ago.

I helped run a GURPS Space campaign for a few years as well.

The GURPS Traveler source books are a treasure trove. I love them and use them.

Grinnen Baeritt
06-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Background and Setting: Blue Planet

Rules: Alternity or Spacemaster:Privateers.

Webhead
06-23-2008, 11:23 AM
I had the boxed set of the first edition of Traveller "little black books" but never had any of the supplements. Never actually played that edition, but then I never got a feeling of overwhelming enthusiasm from the game. It came off as a "here's how to play a guy who flies a ship around in space"...

A friend had us make characters for the later edition, Marc Miller's Traveller. My character was mortally wounded and died during the last phase of character creation, though the GM kindly had me re-roll that result to avoid having to make a whole new character. I think we played an "intro" session, but I don't remember us going back to the game after that. Thus my "actual" experience with Traveller is pretty limited.

Still, I must be picky about sci-fi RPGs as I have trouble finding good, serious ones. I've found a lot of great comedy sci-fi games (Paranoia, Men In Black, Star-Toon, etc.), but not many intended to be played with a straight face.

agoraderek
06-23-2008, 07:07 PM
I had the boxed set of the first edition of Traveller "little black books" but never had any of the supplements. Never actually played that edition, but then I never got a feeling of overwhelming enthusiasm from the game. It came off as a "here's how to play a guy who flies a ship around in space"...

A friend had us make characters for the later edition, Marc Miller's Traveller. My character was mortally wounded and died during the last phase of character creation, though the GM kindly had me re-roll that result to avoid having to make a whole new character. I think we played an "intro" session, but I don't remember us going back to the game after that. Thus my "actual" experience with Traveller is pretty limited.

Still, I must be picky about sci-fi RPGs as I have trouble finding good, serious ones. I've found a lot of great comedy sci-fi games (Paranoia, Men In Black, Star-Toon, etc.), but not many intended to be played with a straight face.

the thing about traveller (the original) was it came out in the era of "make it up as you go along" so the lack of rules for everything wasnt really much of an issue, and the system was fairly easy to make fit just about any situation. but the setting was awesome...

mrken
06-23-2008, 10:19 PM
The first Sci-fi game I tried was Traveller. It really rocked. Used to spend time away from the game thinking of the game, but it had it's problems. So I tried Star Frontier. That game was pretty good too. It was simpler and after I finished all the modules we just kept going. Had to do a bit of tweaking the rules to make it work a bit better but the rules were so simple and the games run rather fast. Then I played Star Wars the d6 game. That too was pretty good except I didn't really like being stuck to the story line that much. All of those games really worked for me so I have no idea which was best. After years of playing them I kind of made them all one game. lol

teckno72
06-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah, we played (relatively) a lot of Star Wars D6 in high school. Our game master was kind of strict about the Jedi Code, though. He was kind of strict about the alignment system in D&D too. But, that's another story.

I got to run Trinity once. My brother wanted to try it, and he wanted to be a neutral (non-psionic/normal human). I was aghast! :) I played my Chinese Ministry character online a little, but there weren't too many takers for that game (and they, of course, were on at different times of the day, to make it worse).

I played a rather bad game of Star Trek: Next Generation at a con one time. I played Picard. This other guy played Data. My friends played everyone else. Trouble was: the adventure really only required Picard and Data to solve, so my friends were horribly bored (and, as a result, their characters played with the pharmaceuticals in sick bay most of the time).

A friend had Megatraveller, but we never played it--not enough interest in it at the time. My college years were filled with the World of Darkness. We did have a crossover game with Shadowrun as the future. It works disturbingly well. Vampires love to control megacorporations too.

Paranoia--I can't run it. I just can't be zany/funny that long. Sorry.

One of my earliest tries at creating my own roleplaying game, kind of converted D&D to a space/future game. The dwarves were genetically engineered humans called "hefts," built to live/work on high-gravity planets. "Frails," an elf-like genetically engineered race of humans were built to live in low-gravity locations. My friend was in charge of the weaponry that we mostly "liberated" from Star Frontiers and Gamma World. We played that maybe twice.

I love Blake's 7 (British sci-fi show of the 70s). Imagine Star Trek, but the Federation (it was even called that in the show) was evil. A crew of near-criminals/wannabe liberators/rebels, etc. find an alien space vessel that puts all human vessels to shame with its advanced systems (in almost every way). They try to foment revolution against the Federation and free as many planets as they can from the tyrannical grip of the Federation. The acting is superb/Shakespearean, but the special effects are some of the worst I've ever witnessed. Still, the stories are great and very memorable, as we learn more and more about the main characters and how they got where they are.

Sorry, just waxing poetic, I suppose. :) Those were the days!

mrken
06-24-2008, 03:23 PM
I love Blake's 7 (British sci-fi show of the 70s). Imagine Star Trek, but the Federation (it was even called that in the show) was evil. A crew of near-criminals/wannabe liberators/rebels, etc. find an alien space vessel that puts all human vessels to shame with its advanced systems (in almost every way). They try to foment revolution against the Federation and free as many planets as they can from the tyrannical grip of the Federation. The acting is superb/Shakespearean, but the special effects are some of the worst I've ever witnessed. Still, the stories are great and very memorable, as we learn more and more about the main characters and how they got where they are.

Sorry, just waxing poetic, I suppose. :) Those were the days!

Blake's 7 sounds like Dr. Who to me. I watched it through several differnet doctors. Could not say the acting was very good, and the special effects were about the same as the first Star Trek, pathetic. Still, I watched it, and laughed at it while watching. :: I just know I am going to get creamed by both Dr. Who and Star Trek fans ::

agoraderek
06-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Blake's 7 sounds like Dr. Who to me. I watched it through several differnet doctors. Could not say the acting was very good, and the special effects were about the same as the first Star Trek, pathetic. Still, I watched it, and laughed at it while watching. :: I just know I am going to get creamed by both Dr. Who and Star Trek fans ::

ok, star trek fan here: the old dr. who special effects made kirk era star trek look like cgi... ;)

Moritz
06-25-2008, 07:52 AM
IT, I'm hooked on Star Wars just as you seem to be. But I doubt I'd find the enjoyment in 'playing' it that I get out of 'running' it. I love GM'ing a SW game. There's just so much latitude in that universe and so much to do and convey.

Inquisitor Tremayne
06-25-2008, 10:04 AM
IT, I'm hooked on Star Wars just as you seem to be. But I doubt I'd find the enjoyment in 'playing' it that I get out of 'running' it. I love GM'ing a SW game. There's just so much latitude in that universe and so much to do and convey.

Agreed!!! It can be overwhelmingly so because you have an entire GALAXY full of adventure ideas. A 10 year campaign can still only barely scratch the surface.

So for favorite games we have the following list:

Traveller
Shadowrun
Star Wars d20 (OCR, RCR, or SE)
Star Wars d6
Blue Planet
Cyberpunk 2020
Gamma World

Any others to add to the list before I make the poll?

Webhead
06-25-2008, 10:46 AM
I'd say Gamma World deserves a spot on the poll. Lots of fun, that game...

Inquisitor Tremayne
06-25-2008, 11:41 AM
I'd say Gamma World deserves a spot on the poll. Lots of fun, that game...

Noted and changed.

mrken
06-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Star Frontiers, don't forget Star Frontiers. :eek:

agoraderek
06-25-2008, 06:36 PM
Star Frontiers, don't forget Star Frontiers. :eek:

im trying to forget star frontiers!!! the first three "sathar" published adventures were almost as bad as the original 14 dragonlance modules for "choo, choo, stay on the tracks" action!

decent system, other than that. had some fun with it...

mrken
06-25-2008, 08:49 PM
im trying to forget star frontiers!!! the first three "sathar" published adventures were almost as bad as the original 14 dragonlance modules for "choo, choo, stay on the tracks" action!

decent system, other than that. had some fun with it...

Yeah, I will admit the Sather were pretty lame, but then so were the Drasilite, Vrusk, and the Yasarians (sp). We all ended up playing the humans after a bit.

agoraderek
06-26-2008, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I will admit the Sather were pretty lame, but then so were the Drasilite, Vrusk, and the Yasarians (sp). We all ended up playing the humans after a bit.

it was a fun system, even if we did basically turn it into star trek before there was fasa star trek. knight hawks (was that what it was called?) was a cool suppliment, got a lot of use out of it (sorry if i got the name wrong, haven't even thought about star frontiers since, oh, 85....)

clash
06-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Of SF games that aren't my own, I really like Hard Nova ][ and Nebuleon.

-clash

Inquisitor Tremayne
06-26-2008, 09:55 AM
New list:

Traveller
Shadowrun
Star Wars d6
Blue Planet
Cyberpunk 2020
Gamma World
Star Frontiers
Star Trek

Is this good?

Mead
06-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Have to go with Battletech and Mechwarrior. Another pair I never got to play enough of was Robot Warriors/Star Hero. And Gamma World rocked the monkey.

I did play a few games of Alternity when it came out. Still have the PHB for it.

tesral
06-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Have to go with Battletech and Mechwarrior. Another pair I never got to play enough of was Robot Warriors/Star Hero. And Gamma World rocked the monkey.

I did play a few games of Alternity when it came out. Still have the PHB for it.

Battletech is a wargame. Mechwarrior an attempt to attach an RPG to that.

Morrow Project is missing. FTL 2448, Star Trek for Jebus sake. FASA/LUG/Deciper. Rifts could be considered SF (or Fantasy or anything) and don't forget Fringeworthy.

There was Lensman and Justifers, running out of stuff I've personally encountered here.

Inquisitor Tremayne
06-26-2008, 11:32 AM

Morrow Project is missing. FTL 2448, Star Trek for Jebus sake. FASA/LUG/Deciper. Rifts could be considered SF (or Fantasy or anything) and don't forget Fringeworthy.

There was Lensman and Justifers, running out of stuff I've personally encountered here.

I only want to add stuff to the list that would be considered Favorite(s).

Star Trek will make it on there.

mrken
06-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Is Traveller 2300 included in with Traveller?

Mead
06-26-2008, 01:02 PM

Uh, yeah, I'm aware. I've always played them together, with as much roleplaying as possible, even during the wargame scenarios.

Sorry if my personal play style cramps the official definitions =P

Inquisitor Tremayne
06-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Is Traveller 2300 included in with Traveller?

Yes.

agoraderek
06-26-2008, 03:19 PM
New list:

Traveller
Shadowrun
Star Wars d6
Blue Planet
Cyberpunk 2020
Gamma World
Star Frontiers
Star Trek

Is this good?

i think you have the most popular sci-fi games covered. polls cant cover everything, after all.

Inquisitor Tremayne
06-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Poll has been added and you may choose more than one!

Webhead
06-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Poll has been added and you may choose more than one!

Crap! I wish I had read this post first. I probably would have added a second vote for Star Wars d20 (SE) as Saga Edition has done right by me so far.

Oh well, Star Wars D6 is still the king.

kaibrightwing
06-26-2008, 07:14 PM
my favorite has to be battletech since its not on the list before and during the clan invasion.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Always loved Star Frontiers, Gamma World and Traveller(the old stuff). I've always wanted to play Star Wars(d6 version). Anyone know where i can get a list of released items for Star Wars d6?

Thoth-Amon

mrken
06-26-2008, 11:27 PM
As much as I enjoyed Star Frontiers for it's simplicity and a fairly open ended story line, I had to vote for Traveller. I have to, Traveller is such a rich environment. I still refer to Traveller material even though I think the rules are pretty thick. That's why i sort of play Star Frontier with Traveller material. What a difficult choice.

tesral
06-26-2008, 11:44 PM
As much as I enjoyed Star Frontiers for it's simplicity and a fairly open ended story line, I had to vote for Traveller. I have to, Traveller is such a rich environment. I still refer to Traveller material even though I think the rules are pretty thick. That's why i sort of play Star Frontier with Traveller material. What a difficult choice.

I play Star Trek with Traveler material. The GURPS source books are beautiful. I'll keep getting them as long as SJ keeps making them. I may never touch the unaltered Traveler setting again, but I'll mine the game for bits forever.

DetCord
06-27-2008, 08:41 AM
well my votes cast with CyberPunk 2020. Quite simply because it dominated our gaming sessions for over a decade......
A 48 hr game of CP2020, caffine pills a must!

Webhead
06-27-2008, 10:03 AM
Always loved Star Frontiers, Gamma World and Traveller(the old stuff). I've always wanted to play Star Wars(d6 version). Anyone know where i can get a list of released items for Star Wars d6?

Thoth-Amon

Sure. The website below contains a catalog of almost all (I think) of the books that West End Games released for Star Wars. Be sure to use the navigation at the top to take you through all the different editions and series of supplements.

http://www.waynesbooks.com/StarWars.html

Inquisitor Tremayne
06-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Sure. The website below contains a catalog of almost all (I think) of the books that West End Games released for Star Wars. Be sure to use the navigation at the top to take you through all the different editions and series of supplements.

One note about the WEG d6 source books. IF you play d20 Star Wars (in any incarnation) the source books from WEG are IMMENSELY HELPFUL!!!!

I recommend getting them especially if you GM.

I still use mine regularly and am planning on purchasing more!

YAY for Star Wars!!!!

Webhead
06-27-2008, 02:38 PM
One note about the WEG d6 source books. IF you play d20 Star Wars (in any incarnation) the source books from WEG are IMMENSELY HELPFUL!!!!

I recommend getting them especially if you GM.

I still use mine regularly and am planning on purchasing more!

YAY for Star Wars!!!!

Yes. Most of the D6 Star Wars source books are primarily "prose" information that is equally valuable regardless of what rules system you use. Obviously, they contain some stats for characters, ships or equipment that given "rules write-ups", but the actual rules parts of the books are very brief. Even a lot of the "stats" for ships and vehicles is directly portable to Saga Edition. The breakdown of any given D6 sourcebook is probably about 85% prose and 15% stats.

Highway Man
06-28-2008, 08:44 AM
I’ve played a few scifi rpgs, but I think the best and the most fun was LUG Star Trek. There is just something great about the Star Trek universe when it comes to scifi rpgs that stands above the others…at least for me anyway.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-28-2008, 12:53 PM

Thanks Webhead. I appreciate it.

Thoth-Amon

Webhead
06-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks Webhead. I appreciate it.

No problem at all.

nijineko
06-28-2008, 04:31 PM
lensman!!! great retro read. =D i own most of the books. ^^ space opera with a perchant for adverbs. ^^ fun. =D

trechriron
06-29-2008, 04:06 PM
As far as settings go, I LOVE Star*Drive. It is (was I guess since its OOP) a great sci-fi setting. At the time I liked the Alternity system, but I am a Savage Worlds fan now. I know I am late to the poll, but I just wanted to toss that out there for people to peruse. :biggrin:

InfoStorm
06-30-2008, 06:44 PM
I have to agree with Trechriron that Star*Drive and Alternity was a great setting. Alternity.net used to be my favorita hangout, but as I don't have any Alternity players locally, I haven't been on in ages.

calico_jack73
07-08-2008, 09:32 AM
What? Where is Mechwarrior? I loved the Battletech universe and I never felt that I HAD to be a Mech pilot when I played. One of my favorite games involved a Special Forces character on an intel gathering mission.

Webhead
07-08-2008, 11:37 AM
What? Where is Mechwarrior? I loved the Battletech universe and I never felt that I HAD to be a Mech pilot when I played. One of my favorite games involved a Special Forces character on an intel gathering mission.

I never played the Mechwarrior RPG, but a friend of mine in high school tried to talk us into playing the Battletech RPG at one point. We never did play, but he xeroxed the mech "character sheets" and I took one home to look at it. I think it's probably best that we didn't play. Regardless, everyone voted either Star Wars, AD&D or Mage instead.

Though, years later, I did play a Glitter Boy in a short game of Rifts that someone ran. Started the game off seperated from my mech-suit and never did reacquire it before the game ended. :(

Inquisitor Tremayne
07-08-2008, 12:15 PM
I never played the Mechwarrior RPG, but a friend of mine in high school tried to talk us into playing the Battletech RPG at one point. We never did play, but he xeroxed the mech "character sheets" and I took one home to look at it. I think it's probably best that we didn't play.

This was my exact xp with Mechwarrior and Battletech also!! A friend in high school tried to get us to play, I took home a character sheet and that was it. Nothing. We ended up playing my horrible D&D game in which I managed to kill all the characters! Whew! I am a much better GM now!

I should mentioned that I killed them all in the first and last game session. For some reason they didn't want to play again with me as the DM. Go figure!:confused:

nijineko
07-14-2008, 06:52 PM
I never played the Mechwarrior RPG, but a friend of mine in high school tried to talk us into playing the Battletech RPG at one point. We never did play, but he xeroxed the mech "character sheets" and I took one home to look at it. I think it's probably best that we didn't play. Regardless, everyone voted either Star Wars, AD&D or Mage instead.

Though, years later, I did play a Glitter Boy in a short game of Rifts that someone ran. Started the game off seperated from my mech-suit and never did reacquire it before the game ended. :(

i acually got as far as making up a mech... had a custom charger mech that would have been awesome to play. 60 ton mech fully fitted with half-weight armor, engine and skel. moved 9-12-9!!! i probably shouldn't have splurged for the jump jets, but just imagine the looks on peoples faces when they see the plodding 60tonner take off!

i once had a mindmelter who managed to acquire a glitterboy from the ah... market... with his share of the spoils we found. had it outfitted with a holographic computer for projecting images of large boulders or small hills or piles of sand in an attempt to make the glitterboy have a stealth mode. ^^ he used the various mechanical control powers to remotely operate the glitterboy and to boost its abilities with stuff like mind sword, force shield and so on. =D loads of fun. being a loud-mouthed scrawny hyperactive little git, he usually managed to find a way to have the glitterboy walk up behind him, right about the time he really pissed someone off. ah... nostalgia.

and star frontiers totally rocked! all you need is the right source materials for when the roughly fifteen modules ran out.... ;D

Tamerath
07-24-2008, 05:41 PM
You know I tried to get into Mechwarrior RPG myself back in Highschool. I just didn't understand the system well enough to run an "adventure" for it. I think now I could...and I think now I could do so brilliantly after playing the mechwarrior games on the XBox. I actually liked the character sheets myself.

Inkpot
07-29-2008, 12:35 PM
What about the Ex Machina game put out by the now defunct Guardians of Order? I wasn't crazy about the Tri-Stat system, but the four settings (yes, I said *four*) in the book were just plain awesome....

mhensley
07-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Mongoose Traveller is my current favorite.

drewshi
08-17-2008, 12:44 PM
I said Star Trek, but I have played and enjoyed Gamma World and Star Frontiers. I used to love mixing Gamma World with Dungeons & Dragons.

nijineko
08-17-2008, 08:21 PM
New list:

Traveller
Shadowrun
Star Wars d6
Blue Planet
Cyberpunk 2020
Gamma World
Star Frontiers
Star Trek

Is this good?

car wars! (i loved playing carwars!) robotech might technically count. d20future count? serenity? battlestar galactica?