PDA

View Full Version : World's Edge

Valdar
04-07-2008, 02:16 PM
See following post for description:

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1013290

If you're reading this and don't want to play, and have a few moments, I'd appreciate it if you'd post on this thread and let me know why- I'm trying to tailor this game to the preferences of players I've run games for in the past, but am always looking for more input on what makes a great game!

MortonStromgal
04-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Well for me weeknight games tend to lack the depth of Roleplaying I enjoy, simply because I have to work the next morning. Its more of a time factor than anything else. 6-8 PM is not enough time to dive into some good interactions. Also gaming in a store (although good to meet everyone and see if there is a good group dynamic) is a little uncomfortable. Fantastic Games isn't so bad with separate rooms but still far from my ideal venue.

As for your plot ideas, I'll use one as an example.

"Destiny of Darkness: A prophecy tells of the coming of the Son of God to the world, bringing a new order of change to make the world a better place. Unfortunately, the God in question is Orcus,"

Stop there, PLEASE! the rest spoils the plot and makes it sound like you will railroad the PCs into what you view is the ending. If you need to expand it, do something like the following

""Destiny of Darkness: In the small town of Homlet the priest of Pelor is driven mad one evening when he reads the stars for the mayor. "Eg fan no ga pig larma" he chanted, the understudy knew it must be important and prayed to Pelor for the answer. After some research in the religious tomes the understudy finds it is a prophecy that tells of the coming of the son of a god to the world, bringing a new order of change to make the world a better place. Unfortunately, the god in question is Orcus. He sends a letter to the High Priest of Pelor asking for aid"

I hope you find the right people!

Valdar
04-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks for your input- it gave me a lot to think about-

So, would you prefer a single player-friendly campaign description (leaving room for player agency within a set game), rather than a multitude of overview-level descriptions (which gives the players agency before the game begins)? True, railroading vs. free will has always been a problem, particularly when players are used to playing MMOGs in which they can choose between dozens of quests...

I'll also check out Fantastic Games- they're a little far north, but I'm hearing good things about them elsewhere as well-

MortonStromgal
04-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Your teaser should be like a movie teaser. I don't want to know what the ending is. You can feel free to keep the ending a secret :D. Depending on your players you may want to combined/narrow it to three choices. I don't know why but more than 3 makes harder to pick just one YMMV.

Fantastic is a decent venue for a game store but the location is out of the way unless your in north Seattle. I wish they were not so far north.

Valdar
04-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Good advice. I'll narrow it down to three and punch up the descriptions more, and leave out the ending (though "you'll be fighting the big boss" should be easily deduced...)

The weekend thing I can't do much about though- my free weekends dry up around the end of May...

Thanks again!

Valdar
06-07-2008, 04:18 PM
With the release of the books, this game filled up FAST. I've got my eight players, but please feel free to let me know if anyone is still interested, as I anticipate at least one or two will drop out.

Thanks!

Valdar
06-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Had a meet-and-greet last night that went well. We polished off a few characters, and four players got a preview of the collapse of civilization, complete with Lv 2 combat encounter! Black ships in the night! Awaking to the sound of battle trumpets and the inn being set afire! In other words, In Medias Mess!

aeonite
06-18-2008, 11:19 PM
I already emailed you but I'm reiterating my interest here if something opens up. Thanks!

Valdar
06-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks! I'll let you know if something opens up!

The campaign flyer is here, in case Wizards' website is down, which is often:

http://www.worldsedge.org/comics/flyer.jpg