PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : [1] 2

Anaesthesia
03-27-2008, 06:00 PM
I decided that I'd like to be completely nosy and ask. So, what are you, the general posters of PnPgames.com, reading? (Yes, you! And no, manuals don't count! :lol: )

At the moment I'm reading simultaniously:~
Darkness and Light (Preludes 2; Dragonlance Saga)

Stone and Steel (Book 5, Preludes Dragonlance Saga.) Because I'm a doorknob of a kender, and got bored 5 pages into it and skipped over it to read book 6. :lol: Books 1-4 and 6 took me about a week to finish, nearly a book and half a day.

Dark Water by Koji Suzuki (Last of the Ring Cycle, I think?) I loved Ring and Spiral.I highly suggest Ring and Spiral-for those who like twisted suspense/paranormal. They're both more insane than all of the movies combined. I have both of them available on my bookcrossing shelf (http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/AlterEgoZoe), if anyone would like to trade. I would also be up to doing a Book Spiral/Ray with all three once I was done with Dark Water.

spotlight
03-27-2008, 06:13 PM
I just finished a book by Phillip Hose Farmer called Strange Relations. It is a compilation of a novel and several short stories written back in the 1950's.

I have always known he was a great writter, but this is the first of his works I've acctually finished.

I tend more to scifi than fantacy, but I do read an occasional Warhammer novel.

My altime favorite story line is the berserker storys by Fred Saberhagen.

Thayan
03-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Just Finished Book one in the Pendragon Cycle by Lawhead..

In a few days.. Small Favors by Jim Butcher will be started

jade von delioch
03-27-2008, 08:16 PM
i can't wait for the next dresden files book.......

Right now i was going to read the steampunk trilogy.. but i can just seem to get started.

mrken
03-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Currently I am reading "Eleanor of Aquitaine and the Four Kings" by Amy Kelly. My wife bought it for me while I was in the hospital. I have been wading through a couple of books about Mary, Queen of Scots that just dragged on and on. This one is not only intresting but well written.

Webhead
03-27-2008, 09:36 PM
I've currently been addicted to the Dresden Files. I'm on Blood Rites (Book 6) at the moment and am eagerly awaiting Small Favor (Book 10) even though it will probably be a couple months before I catch up to it. Dresden Files is the best, most gripping and thoroughly awesome entertainment fiction I've read in a long, long time.

Once I'm done digesting those books, I'll probably reread my H.P. Lovecraft collections, followed by Robert E. Howard's Conan and Solomon Kane anthologies. Then, there's still 1001 Arabian Nights sitting on my shelf that needs returned to and I've been really wanting to read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy again.

My wife is reading Dracula right now which makes me realize that I need to as well.

So many books, so little time...:Cry:

nijineko
03-28-2008, 01:23 AM
i recently read "the crimson shadow" trilogy, "komarr", "a civil campaign", "elantris", "the riddlemaster of hed" trilogy, and the "cygnet" duet.

i typically read an average of a book a day, unless i'm forcing myself to go slow, or something else is demanding my time.

boulet
03-28-2008, 06:59 AM
I just bought the Illuminatus trilogy, I'll read it seriously as soon as I've finished the Amber cycle which I've read for something like the fourth time.

Frobozz
03-28-2008, 09:18 AM
The Gunslinger series by Stephen King.

FNORD

Riftwalker
03-28-2008, 10:16 AM
I just bought the Illuminatus trilogy, I'll read it seriously as soon as I've finished the Amber cycle which I've read for something like the fourth time.

I loved reading the Illuminatus! trilogy. Those books win the best mindf--- award of all time.

(In case someone's not familiar with them, the point-of-view shifts from character to character, and back and forward in time without warning. And a lot of the time the current point-of-view is on drugs, and the whole plot revolves around a ton of conspiracy theories, so you never really know what to believe. It makes it a wild read.)

Farcaster
03-28-2008, 12:15 PM
I was trying to get through the Elfstones of Shannara, but I just couldn't get into the story. I should have known better when the Sword of Shannara--the first book in the series--was a blatant ripoff of Lord of the Rings down to the evil witch king, the enigmatic wizard type, a corrupting sorcerer, and an epic class of the good races versus the evil races.

So, after getting about halfway through the Elfstones, I had to put it down. I've been reading a little outside of the genre since then. Last book I finished was the Judas Strain (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060763892?ie=UTF8&tag=penandpaperga-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0060763892) by James Rollins. And actually, I was able to pull a D&D adventure out of that in the form of a necrotizing fasciitis with a darker purposes that transforms its victims. Muhahahaha! :evil:

I also just picked up and started on Deep Storm (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400095476?ie=UTF8&tag=penandpaperga-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1400095476) by Lincoln Child. Once again, completely outside of Fantasy and Sci-Fi, but I needed a change of pace for a while.

cplmac
03-29-2008, 08:21 PM
After all the reading and a couple of posts on the Dragons of Autumn Twilight movie thread, I dug out the books and started with The Meetings Sextet group. So far I've read Kindred Spirits and Wanderlust. I'm currently reading Dark Heart. Have not got to do as much reading as Anaesthesia has got to do.

Actually, I think Anaesthesia mistakenly listed Steel and Stone as being in the Preludes trilogy, when it is book 5 of The Meetings Sextet. Preludes and Preludes II fall between The Mettings Sextet group and the Chronicles Trilogy. Also, Darkness and Light is in the Preludes, as opposed to Preludes II.

mrken
03-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Hey Farcaster, I know what you mean about the Sword of Shannara. My wife read the book and just loved it. It was her first fantasy book. She gave it to me to read and was mad at me the whole time I was reading it because she would ask me where I was in the book and rather than tell her where I was I would tell her what was going to happen next, like, I am reading where they are going to do this or this is going to happen. She hated me because somehow I knew what was going to happen before I read it. Then I explained to her how it was a copy of The Lord of the Rings books. She has yet to read them because they move too slowly for her, which explains a lot. lol

Grimwell
03-29-2008, 10:45 PM
I just finished the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series by Tad Williams, which was a great read (my review here (http://www.grimwell.com/?p=159)).

Today I picked up The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez -- I need a break from fantasy, and this seems kitschy in the right way.

Inquisitor Tremayne
03-31-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm currently reading The Gates of Night, The Dreaming Dark Part III and Darth Bane; The Path of Destruction.

That's not including the regular comics I read;

Star Wars Legacy
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars Dark Times
Star Wars Rebellion

I just finished reading The Rise of Darth Vader. An excellent read that answers a lot of questions!

Freejack
03-31-2008, 02:54 PM
Just finished two Joe Haldeman books (Old Twentieth and A Separate War), read a John Ringo book (Ghost) on the recommendation from someone and it was fricking lame, had to put down a Harry Turtledove book (Alternate General's III) because I wasn't getting into it, am reading Tsathoggaga Cycle: Terror of the Toad God and one of the Man Kzin books (Man Kzin Wars XI) which is a sequel to Man Kzin Wars X: The Wunder Wars that I didn't know at the time.

Game book wise I'm reading Arsenal (SR4), Street Magic (SR4), Fistful o' Zombies (AFMBE), and Pulp Zombies (AFMBE).

Magazine wise I'm reading Rider, Motorcycle Consumer News, Back Street Choppers, and American Motorcyclist. I also pick up Sport Rider from time to time.

Carl

nijineko
04-01-2008, 07:10 AM
i think it's quite interesting just how many multi-readers we have. that, or speed-readers. ^^

Freejack
04-01-2008, 07:43 AM
i think it's quite interesting just how many multi-readers we have. that, or speed-readers. ^^

It depends on the book. I generally have two or three books open at one time. For example, four of the books above were collections of stories. The Ringo book was some real bad fluff.

The Shadowrun books are on PDF so I can read them anywhere just as the technical book are. I have a subscription to O'Reilly's Safari bookshelf for access to technical books.

And that's also over the past week or so. "Currently" means different things to folks. :)

Carl

kipling
04-01-2008, 08:55 AM
I'm currently reading through the "His Dark Materials" trilogy, and I've got a bunch of things on the current pile-- "Demon Princes" by Jack Vance, another run at "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell", there's a Nora Roberts someplace I should get to, "Dragon Bones" that I got when I went into the hospital and never read.

Farcaster
04-01-2008, 02:33 PM
I also just picked up and started on Deep Storm (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400095476?ie=UTF8&tag=penandpaperga-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1400095476) by Lincoln Child.

Update on that. I finished Deep Storm, which I'd give 3 out of 5 on. It was okay. The next book I'm tearing into now is The Descent (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/051513175X?ie=UTF8&tag=penandpaperga-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=051513175X) by Jeff Long. I've only just started on it, but I'm loving it so far. But, I'm a sucker for Hell-centric stories -- especially since they're good inspiration for my current campaign, The Damned, which is set in Hell.

nijineko
04-01-2008, 03:17 PM
just finished talion:revenant, and browsed through some of the phule series by robert asprin. and i picked up several hundreds of books in text that i'm going to work my way through next.

Anaesthesia
04-01-2008, 03:25 PM

Once, I realized I was reading 4 books at the same time. *lol* It's a really old habit with me though. It came out of the need to research for 3 different 400-Level History Classes at the same damn time. (Will never do that again)

Hey Farcaster, ever read the "Heroes in Hell" Series? It's really good and really funny. One of the books had the best tag line ever: "Be it ever so horrible, there's no place like Hell...(But there may be a way out...)" I've read 5 of the books, but there's like 6 or 7 more to read. See here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_in_Hell) I was fiddling around with the idea if I ever got my paws on a d20 Modern (maybe a d20 Past would be better) book, I'd run a campaign that was very similar to Heroes in Hell.

Thayan
04-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Picked up and finished Small favor yesterday, Now aside from my American Lit class Im looking to find another book or to to delve into.

Frobozz
04-02-2008, 08:48 AM

No kidding, I'm lucky if I can get through a book in 4 months. Then again, the only time I really read is when sitting on the porcelain throne. :biggrin:

Freejack
04-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Generally I get my reading before going to bed. It calms and focuses my thoughts so I can relax. My wife says it takes me less than 5 minutes to go to sleep.

Sometimes I'll just take a break and spend a few hours either in my library or go down to the lake and sit and read a book.

Right now I have the core All Flesh Must Be Eaten book with me at work and at lunch I'll be outside (probably) finishing it up. I read Atlas of the Walking Dead the night before last and The Book of Archetypes 1 and 2 and most of the little adventure that came with the Zombie Master's Screen last night (Coffee Break of the Damned I believe it's called).

And yea, I'll take a book with me to the can from time to time although generally I have a magazine and not a book.

Carl

Webhead
04-02-2008, 11:08 AM
No kidding, I'm lucky if I can get through a book in 4 months. Then again, the only time I really read is when sitting on the porcelain throne. :biggrin:

Well, I don't do any reading on the can, but I am myself a (partly-deliberately) slow reader. It tends to take me about a month of on-again, off-again reading to finish a 400-ish page novel. I have to be in a quiet, comfortable place to read (at home in my recliner). That said, that really only accounts for about 6-8 days of actual reading as I tend to read 50-75 pages at a sit. This probably has more to do with the demands of my lifestyle and my limited reading environment than anything else.

But I've also taken to this kind of deliberate pacing because I find I enjoy and remember books more when I give myself some "thinking time" between reads. I like to read several chapters and spend some time thinking about my impressions, my hopes and fears, and generally expanding my attachment to the characters. I've been reading Dresden Files this way and it has now become my favorite fiction series ever. I've had time to contemplate the characters and cosmology and I love it all.

I picked up Small Favor yesterday, but I probably won't get to it for a couple months because I'm not that far in the series yet...but I knew I had to have it, because I know I'll read it and love it.

sreeja
04-03-2008, 01:48 AM
Ice Station by Matthew Reilly. It would be just another die hard type movie, but hey, if it's done right it would be entertaining at the least.'Water for Elephants' by Sara Gruen.and'7th Heaven' by James PattersonSure - they're
both good books.

at5115
04-04-2008, 05:02 PM
I was trying to get through the Elfstones of Shannara, but I just couldn't get into the story. I should have known better when the Sword of Shannara--the first book in the series--was a blatant ripoff of Lord of the Rings down to the evil witch king, the enigmatic wizard type, a corrupting sorcerer, and an epic class of the good races versus the evil races.

I completely agree about the Sword of Shannara (I think it's still in the trunk of my car, half-way read). The Elfstones were much better, I thought. Although Brooks seems to have very one-dimensional relationships throughout.

As I came late to SciFi/Fantasy/RP, I've been catching up lately. I just finished everything Neil Gaiman wrote - and just loved Anansi Boys. And I think after finishing Galworthy's Forsyte Saga (picked up because I wondered who the super hot guy on the PBS commercials was - Damian Lewis!) I might reread Dan Simmons' Hyperion/Endymion series.

Melefresh

Farcaster
04-04-2008, 06:10 PM
The Elfstones were much better, I thought. Although Brooks seems to have very one-dimensional relationships throughout... I might reread Dan Simmons' Hyperion/Endymion series.

I probably would have enjoyed the Sword of Shannara, if I hadn't been so familiar with the plot line already. I only got about halfway through the Elfstones before I had to put the book down and move on to something else for a while. I still haven't come back to it. I'd have to agree with your assessment that the character interactions are a bit stilted and wooden. I especially am not awestruck by the enigmatic druid as I think Brooks was hoping for.

As to Hyperion, it is a tough read. Or at least it was for me. His prose is colorful and he often throws out techno-babble without any contextual clues. I read and reread the first two pages at least five times before I was able to move on and finally get a handle on what I was reading. Once I had a feel for his style though, I really did like Hyperion. If any of you have read the books before, you might have guessed by my alias, Farcaster, which I brazenly stole from Simmons. It was just too perfect really. I needed a login to check out this whole "World Wide Web" thing, and I had just got done reading Hyperion where travelers were able to step through portals between worlds (called farcasting) on the World-Web. Voila! An alias was born.

Anaesthesia
04-04-2008, 06:20 PM
As I came late to SciFi/Fantasy/RP, I've been catching up lately. I just finished everything Neil Gaiman wrote - and just loved Anansi Boys. Melefresh

Is that good? I've only read American Gods and Neverwhere, although I do have Anasi Boys and Good Omens/Bad Omens on Mt. TBR.

I've finished Dark Water (kinda dissapointed); gave up reading Darkness and Light. Started Blood Autumn by Kathryn Ptacek.

cplmac
04-04-2008, 06:32 PM
I am not currently reading it, but was wondering if anyone was familiar with a series of books that I think the first one is called "The Mistersinger" or something like that. It's about a guy that does magic by playing music on a guitar like instrument. He plays current day music but the instrument turns it to magic but it never totally turns out the way he was intending it to.:confused:

nijineko
04-04-2008, 06:35 PM
reading the book of the league of extraordinary gentlemen. likely read christopher white's tripod trilogy again after that.

at5115
04-05-2008, 08:22 AM
Is that good? I've only read American Gods and Neverwhere, although I do have Anasi Boys and Good Omens/Bad Omens on Mt. TBR.

I loved it - of course, I loved it because of the Charlie/Anansi relationship. I really, really liked American Gods. If Gaiman ever writes anything more featuring Shadow, I'll snap it up in a heartbeat (I did pick up Fragile Things just for "Monarch of the Glen").

Melefresh

nijineko
04-05-2008, 09:43 PM
i've read stardust of gaiman's, haven't gotten around to any of his other stuff yet. starting white's tripod trilogy. =D

Anaesthesia
04-06-2008, 12:04 PM
I have to share-although it's not about reading. Ok, maybe a little.

I went to a Used Book Store yesterday in NY, and found a AD&D Player's Handbook (for $4), and a AD&D Dragonlance Sourcebook (for $3). One of the best prices I had for older editon D&D books. (Ok, ok, the best price I ever had was $1 for a 3.0 book)

:focus:

Roman Virtue
04-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Right now I'm reading "Sun Tzu The Art of War" and "Mythology: The Illistrated Anthology of World Myth and Storytelling" (an almost 700 page 'crush your lap' book of mythology goodness). :)

jade von delioch
04-07-2008, 11:03 AM
just started to read the new Dresden files book....:D

Moritz
04-09-2008, 08:04 AM
"Thunder of Time" by James F David.

It's a book about rifts in time that intermix the periods of the dinosaurs with modern periods. For example, Portland was suddenly rifted and there were dinosaurs all over the place. These rifts were caused by nuclear testing, ripping a hole in space-time.

Anyway, so far, so good. Plus, I totally dig on any story with dinosaurs, megalodons, and time travel.

nedpatrick
04-13-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm reading The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling, which was probably the first popular steampunk novel. I'm also reading The Eisenhorn Omnibus by Dan Abnett. I'm reading that for background info on the w40k Dark Heresy game I'm playing.

MooseAlmighty
04-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Currently reading A Cruel Wind by Glen Cook. It's a single volume republishing of his Dread Empire trilogy. Very good stuff. And you can clearly see the influence it (and the Black Company) had on Steven Erikson's Malazan Empire series. Impatiently waiting for Erikson's next book this Fall :)

Breezed through Raymond Feist's latest, Wrath of a Mad God.

For some noir, I read L.A. Confidential (James Ellroy). Then Charlie Huston's Already Dead for modern noir with a supernatural twist.

I've enjoyed every book from Tim Powers. Most recently Three Days to Never. He always surprises me with some truly creative ideas.

In non-fiction, I just started Guns, Germs and Steel.

MooseAlmighty
04-14-2008, 09:06 PM
The book you are referring to is Spellsinger. Alan Dean Foster I think?? There are a few others in the series but Day of Dissonance is the only other title I remember.

Read them over 20 years ago... yikes. I think they went to the used book store during a move, but if I still have them they're yours for the taking. I'll check the shelves and what boxes I still have.

Marty

Giddoen
04-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Hmm well lets see,

I am reading the first book by Anthony Bourdain - No Reservations

and on y coffee table is Tim Waggoner Thieves of Blood - Blade of the flame book 1 (Eberron novel.

and assorted cook books...

Giddoen

Farcaster
04-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Well, I've finished up The Descent by Jeff Long. The first few chapters were spellbinding and had a palpable air of tension. But, once the Long more fully reveals the "hadal," devil like entities that reside in deep subterranean recesses, the dramatic tension is mostly lost. From there, it is still an interesting story, but more of a psychological thriller than a horror story. Of course, Long still manages to throw in a few succor punches along the way with some particularly gory or perverse imagery.

Now, I have started on "The Ruins," by Scott Smith. I plan to only go see the movie after I have finished reading the book.

cplmac
04-16-2008, 02:03 PM
The book you are referring to is Spellsinger. Alan Dean Foster I think?? There are a few others in the series but Day of Dissonance is the only other title I remember.

Read them over 20 years ago... yikes. I think they went to the used book store during a move, but if I still have them they're yours for the taking. I'll check the shelves and what boxes I still have.

Marty

Actually read the whole series while over in the Persian Gulf in 90 and 91. They were a good read. Wasn't a lot to do over there when you were lucky enough to get a little "down time". It was over there that I got introduced to D&D (2E).

Dimthar
04-19-2008, 11:04 PM
I just finished "El Capitan Alatriste (tr. Captain Alatriste)" and plan to move to the next book in the series "Limpieza de Sangre (tr. Purity of blood)".

Who knows, maybe one day the movie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alatriste will be available in the US. (Already in my Netflix list).

---

What do you know? There is a roleplaying game (Note: Website is in Spanish) http://www.devir.es/producto/alatriste/inicio/index.htm

GBVenkman
04-20-2008, 01:18 AM
I decided that I'd like to be completely nosy and ask. So, what are you, the general posters of PnPgames.com, reading? (Yes, you! And no, manuals don't count! :lol: )

At the moment I'm reading simultaniously:~
Darkness and Light (Preludes 2; Dragonlance Saga)

Stone and Steel (Book 5, Preludes Dragonlance Saga.) Because I'm a doorknob of a kender, and got bored 5 pages into it and skipped over it to read book 6. :lol: Books 1-4 and 6 took me about a week to finish, nearly a book and half a day.

Dark Water by Koji Suzuki (Last of the Ring Cycle, I think?) I loved Ring and Spiral.I highly suggest Ring and Spiral-for those who like twisted suspense/paranormal. They're both more insane than all of the movies combined. I have both of them available on my bookcrossing shelf (http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/AlterEgoZoe), if anyone would like to trade. I would also be up to doing a Book Spiral/Ray with all three once I was done with Dark Water.

I don't read fantasy or sci fi much.

I'm reading brave new world at the moment.. I guess it is sci fi.

shilar
04-27-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm still down with Tales of MU http://www.talesofmu.com/story/
just be warned if you start you will not stop.

cplmac
04-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Just finished book five of the Meetings Sextent series from Dragonlance.

agoraderek
05-08-2008, 11:03 PM
right now im reading druid's sword, by sara douglass. last book of the troy game series. next up is confessor, by terry goodkind, last book in the sword of truth series.

after that, im going to read some tom wolfe, then some graham greene.

then back to the fantasy stuff...

tesral
05-09-2008, 01:53 AM
I just had an urge to go back over my favorite parts of Dragonsong. So I did.

RivenNookRavenClaw
06-11-2008, 08:51 PM
I am reading a couple of things right now.

Peterson's guide to Graduate Schools (alright that was me being a smart a** so I'll stop)

I just finished Robin Hobbs Forest Mage trilogy.

I read Mercedes Lackey thing about a mermaid, a fortunate fool and their romance, love that woman.

I read some Louis MacMaster Bujold, reread some of her Miles Vorsogian universe...including Ethan of Athos and think her Curse of Chalion universe is awesome and even better the book I just finished which is the conclusion on the Sharing Knife Trilogy...'like Oh My God, it was fer sure the most romantic thing EVER!"

I am trying to stay away from too much military sci-fi right now so David Weber and L.E. Modesitt to name a few are off my Barnes and Noble light reading list right now... the last thing I need is more encouragement to avoid romantic entanglements and those guys, do that.

Anyway other then that the new 2008 Linux bible with the DVD Rom including all the flavours of linus are all I need right now.

RivenNookRavenClaw
06-11-2008, 08:54 PM
I just had an urge to go back over my favorite parts of Dragonsong. So I did.

Awesome! I love Anne McCaffery... I like her Crystal Singer stuff alot...especially how her heroine trumps all that amnesia that aflicts all the crystal singers and gets her guy back at the end.

What can I say...I am a stupid romantic.

I believe DragonSong was the one in which the harpers of pern get some air time but for the life of me I am not sure that was the one in which the boy learns how to do drums or something else entirely. There are too many Pern Books (mock sigh) But 'All the Weyrs of Pern' is still fun in my mind.

That triogy is scary funny...ties right into 'Principia Discordia: How I met the goddess and what I did with her when I found her.'

I honestly couldn't read the whole trilogy.

As far as Zelazny and Amber goes...I cannot read the original books with Corwin often engough but the Merlin cycle is not my cup of tea. I mean really, that boy just never grows up! Can't get a date, doesn't learn to trust his girlfriend with is amber secret even when she goes out and becomes a real sorceress and as for the rest well...I don't want to spoil it but seriously why in the world did he get that ring at the end of that series anyway!?

I probably would have enjoyed the Sword of Shannara, if I hadn't been so familiar with the plot line already. I only got about halfway through the Elfstones before I had to put the book down and move on to something else for a while. I still haven't come back to it. I'd have to agree with your assessment that the character interactions are a bit stilted and wooden. I especially am not awestruck by the enigmatic druid as I think Brooks was hoping for.

As to Hyperion, it is a tough read. Or at least it was for me..

ARG! ARG ARG! (like a pirate in pain) Not Terry Brooks, "drowning noises of pirate that can't swim)

That said, yeah I loved elf stones but I was about 14 when I first read it and that whole unrequitted virginal love with the tree made me cry as for the Sword of Shananana....yeah gad! Reminds me of Terry Pratchett and the witches talking about how to spell "bannana" when in the world do you stop spelling Shanaranana anyway and when will he stop writing those books anyway!?

Aw well there is "headology" for you only women that are witches (again referencing Terry Pratchett's Discworld" will EVER understand why Terry Brooks still sells.

I don't read fantasy or sci fi much.

I'm reading brave new world at the moment.. I guess it is sci fi.

I consider it to be so although I was once at a Stony Brook convention and a know it all old fossil said that and 1984 are clearly not sci-fi...he added that the only sci-fi novel ever written that is worth reading is Flowers for Algernon...

(making faces at the memory of the guy)

You might try "The Stars My Destination" by I think Bester...

very old classic sci-fi...based on the Count of Monte Cristo revenge theme but about somebody really nasty at first that becomes somebody maybe decent at the end.

boulet
06-11-2008, 09:10 PM
That triogy is scary funny...ties right into 'Principia Discordia: How I met the goddess and what I did with her when I found her.'

I honestly couldn't read the whole trilogy.

As far as Zelazny and Amber goes...I cannot read the original books with Corwin often engough but the Merlin cycle is not my cup of tea. I mean really, that boy just never grows up! Can't get a date, doesn't learn to trust his girlfriend with is amber secret even when she goes out and becomes a real sorceress and as for the rest well...I don't want to spoil it but seriously why in the world did he get that ring at the end of that series anyway!?
Still haven't had the opportunity to start Illuminatus and the oppressing heat didn't help that's for sure.

About Merlin cycle, I can't deny that he's careless and sloppy. I understand how you didn't care for the character. The tyga "guardian angel" is quite annoying too. And Zelazny had trouble keeping a decent flow in his plot in general. Anyway, if it was only for the acid trip in Lewis Carol inspired shadows, or the extra informations about the Court of Chaos and sorcery, it would still be worth reading. I guess it's the GM enjoying new material part of me who's talking.

RivenNookRavenClaw
06-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Still haven't had the opportunity to start Illuminatus and the oppressing heat didn't help that's for sure.

About Merlin cycle, I can't deny that he's careless and sloppy. I understand how you didn't care for the character. The tyga "guardian angel" is quite annoying too. And Zelazny had trouble keeping a decent flow in his plot in general. Anyway, if it was only for the acid trip in Lewis Carol inspired shadows, or the extra informations about the Court of Chaos and sorcery, it would still be worth reading. I guess it's the GM enjoying new material part of me who's talking.

There are great parts to that cycle, I read the whole thing. Its just I was always hoping that Mr. Zelazny would live long even to give us Corwin back, Corwin having to deal with Merlin his son.

I mean as far as I am concerned Merlin building that trump computer, is directly responsible for the new pattern chaos war not to mention being an enabler of the new stain on the primal pattern inflicted by his friend "Luke" and furthermore is refusal to walk Corwin's pattern was completely destabilizing...

I always though Merlin always acted as his mother's son. That in the end he was still the crack in amber...His mom walked that pattern when she was pregnant with him in the Corwin cycle and I just think that that boy despite his own free will and choices was just bringing everything towards ruin.

What I wouldn't have given to see Corwin get back into action and along the way somehow find Deirdre among the shadows...yeah yeah so that's a bit incestous but I feel the belonged together, Corwin and Deirdre 'lady of sorrow.'

boulet
06-11-2008, 10:05 PM
I always though Merlin always acted as his mother's son. That in the end he was still the crack in amber...His mom walked that pattern when she was pregnant with him in the Corwin cycle and I just think that that boy despite his own free will and choices was just bringing everything towards ruin.

Well it's funny you mention incest, because I'd say that Merlin has a lot in common with Oedipus. Especially in the way he's quite subjected to the prophecy Dara threw at the face of Corwin when she walked the pattern. There's quite a lot of freudian undertones to the whole story one might say. Well I feel for the poor guy in his struggle against destiny, even if he's the sucker most of the time. Fate is inescapable like in good old Greek tragedy.

RivenNookRavenClaw
06-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Well it's funny you mention incest, because I'd say that Merlin has a lot in common with Oedipus. Especially in the way he's quite subjected to the prophecy Dara threw at the face of Corwin when she walked the pattern. There's quite a lot of freudian undertones to the whole story one might say. Well I feel for the poor guy in his struggle against destiny, even if he's the sucker most of the time. Fate is inescapable like in good old Greek tragedy.

Yes it is rather like a Greek Tragedy but the question becomes for me "If we act with reckless disregard for others...are we to be pitied?"

Merlin, as portrayed is incredibly smart, powerful, and sexy. As far as I can see he has everything and yet the most basic points seem to escape the lad's notice.

When Random, King of Amber starts to ask Merlin some rather basic questions about this "Ghost Wheel" Merlin has created I cannot at that point from my current age have any sympathy for the character.

I mean do you remember the dialog because as best I cant recollect it goes something like this

Random: "So Ghost Wheel can gather energy"

Merlin: "Oh yes it needs to so it can power the trump gates."

Random: "And how much energy can it gather?"

Merlin: "Well the longer it manifests the more it does that is why it is crakling with what looks like electricy."

Random: "Can that energy hurt people?"

Merlin: "Well, Ghost Wheel has safety protocols so that it won't do that."

Rnadom: "Could you override those protocols and tell ghost wheel to manifest somewhere gather engough energy to kill someone have it do that!?"

Merlin: "Ummm...I never thought of that...er...hum..er...I guess so."

To me that is no longer Oedipus Rex, there Oedipus is caught in the grip of fate and he does lose his temper, kill his own father and all the rest but Merlin is never portrayed that way, as far as I can see.

Instead he acts CLUELESS. Its like there is a part of his brain missing...the resolution I wanted to see that was his mom had implanted a chaos spell inside his brain that acted like some malignant demon in his mind making sure all his goodness turned to chaotic disasters.

Not that I have anything against Dara, how could I (looking innocent) I mean I know nothing about her...I don't think anybody does. :laugh:

That creature was talking to the Logrus and pretending to be Brand's daughter back in the original series.

agoraderek
06-11-2008, 11:35 PM

you must read illuminatus. that was some crazy [mmmm].

tesral
06-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Awesome! I love Anne McCaffery... I like her Crystal Singer stuff alot...especially how her heroine trumps all that amnesia that aflicts all the crystal singers and gets her guy back at the end.

What can I say...I am a stupid romantic.

I believe DragonSong was the one in which the harpers of pern get some air time but for the life of me I am not sure that was the one in which the boy learns how to do drums or something else entirely. There are too many Pern Books (mock sigh) But 'All the Weyrs of Pern' is still fun in my mind.

I'm a helpless romantic myself. I have the Crystal Singer stuff, most of the "Ship Who" books, including The Ship Who Sang in hardcover (signed).

The Harperhall series. Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragondrums (Which is about Pemiur.)

I have the hardcovers the main series up through The White Dragon signed. The first two harper hall books signed. All the Pern books have pride of place on my book shelf.

The People of Pern The printer did a lousy job, I've seen some of Robin Wood's original art, it is much better than the book. The Dragon Lover's Guide to Pern. And The Atlas of Pern, I bought that one and really could not afford it at the time.

RivenNookRavenClaw
06-12-2008, 12:41 PM
I have the hardcovers the main series up through The White Dragon signed. The first two harper hall books signed. All the Pern books have pride of place on my book shelf.

The People of Pern The printer did a lousy job, I've seen some of Robin Wood's original art, it is much better than the book. The Dragon Lover's Guide to Pern. And The Atlas of Pern, I bought that one and really could not afford it at the time.

I read the white dragon in Grade School probably four or fifth grade. I didn't understand it really, all we were supposed to do was read books, which I wasn't too good at first. But after the second time I loved it.

That time jumping stuff although essential to the Pern Universe to my mind was always a potential big problem but that is Anne MacCaffery, somehow she manages to pull off the most outrageous mixtures of science fiction mixed with fantasy and have it be totally human, and totally logical.

Why the White Dragon and his Rider does not fix every problem to ever afflict is still a bit mysterious to me but then again I figure the Dragon with the brain the size of a nice big hummer must understand when to obey the Star Trek "Temporal Prime Directive. > Thou Shall Not interfere in the time stream; unless you are Kate Mulgrew of the StarShip Voyager in which case you must weekly even if there is nothing the surrounding parsecs of space."

nijineko
06-13-2008, 10:04 PM
i enjoyed the pern series. i liked how she kept it more "fantasy" by keeping the whole physics of time travel and ramifications to a minimum impact. in her hands it just becomes a story tool. and she uses it pretty effectively. ^^

since i last posted i have re-read the stainless steel rat series plus about 10-15 more books by harrison. read 'howl's moving castle'. read a few other random books, and am now rereading as many andre norton books as i can find. i've reread about 25-30 of hers as of this posting so far. ^^

currently rereading her beast master series.

Schmall
06-14-2008, 08:48 AM
The Mode Series by Piers Anthony. Currently reading book two right now. The series is absolutly amazing. Think a strange blend of magic and sci-fi that alters as you cross into different realities.

If you want a series to pull some sessions from, try reading the M.Y.T.H. Series. Cant recall the author off the top of my head, but I very much enjoyed it without actually reading the whole series. Just parts here and there when I can get my hands on them.

For those that read the Shannara series by Terry Brooks and didnt care for the story line, try Magic Kingdom for Sale - SOLD by Terry Brooks. It is orginal and hilarious.

I can go on and on about books. I skimmed through this thread and realized I have actually read most of the books and entire series mentioned and I'm only 22. lol

nijineko
06-14-2008, 09:59 PM
can't stand piers anthony anymore.... but that series was pretty intriguing in some of it's concepts. too much male teenage hormone for my taste... although considering his age, it might be more of sour dirty old man hormone anymore. ^^

the m.y.t.h. series was written by robert asprin and yes you'll need two more asprin after you give yourself a headache from laughing so hard reading his books. also try his Phule series, sci-fi and quite humourous.

loved the magic kingdom for sale, sold! series. fun books. =D

ps: oh yeah, finished three more andre norton books between now and my last post. ;D i'm running out of ones i can find! ^^

RivenNookRavenClaw
06-15-2008, 12:45 AM
can't stand piers anthony anymore

I'll be honest, I read way too much of that man's stuff. The Bio of a Space Tyrant got me wicked excited when I was 10,11, and 12 years old them I discovered how a girl named Amy, that I had been in school with since second grade was so much more interesting and relevant then that soft-porn but I kept on reading his junk.

I think his never ending Xanth series shook me of the addiction, especially with the one that describes the summoning of the stork ritual, which was probably called "The color of her panties."

What is wrong with this guy? Looking back on his loving concern for his fan letters I start to see an old letch that like Lewis Carrol wants to have sex with tweens and teenagers and tell us all that this is the way of the world.

Well...he can take that and shove it in very uncomfortable place I like women my age thank you very much that have brains and know how to use them. In addition, when a women opens up her mouth and corrects me I am pleased not offended so he can take his mythos of nubile young flesh, brainy woman flesh that support alpha males and get no credit and choke on it!

Do you know this man once tried to sue another famous science fiction other because at a sci-fi convention he pissed the other guy off so much that he called "Piers Anthony a Nazi?"

Yeah gad! Piers Anothy actually wrote in print about how proud he was to sick a laywer on this pan and hound him with letters as the guy toured acroos the country.

I want one of the Incarnations of Immortality (from Piers Anothy's own series), namely Thantos, to come collect him right quick and for his soul to go to a non interesting portion of hell in which he has to listen to honest reviews of all his work for ETERNITY.

(gee, I guess I really don't like him anymore...guess its a reaction to me liking him SO much when I was a teenager and lusty all the time.)

tesral
06-15-2008, 12:46 AM
I'm going back to old favorites. Time Enough for Love is next.

Farcaster
06-15-2008, 04:04 AM
I recently finished Riptide by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child -- another in my string of recent thriller titles. It wasn't too bad and although it wasn't fantasy oriented at all, I was able to twist an adventure out of it for my D&D game.

If you don't mind the spoiler, read on:

In particular, the story featured a lost treasure that had a sword that was made of a radioactive material. The material was so radioactive in fact that anyone who even saw the sword was guaranteed to die. We're talking radiation in the 3000-5000 rads/hour range. The sword in the story wasn't really much to write home about. The blade was a pitted mess. I imagine that it's purpose wasn't really to be used in combat, but probably more as a Trojan Horse of sorts.

In my game, the sword was very functional. It had sort of a mercurial sheen to the blade that was quite stunning, and in combat it was deadly: +5 vorpral longsword that ignored most armor bonuses (something like a brilliant energy weapon would). It was crafted by an Efreet in the Plane of Fire who wasn't particularly effected by it's deadly composition. But, for anyone who wielded it, they were guaranteed to die within 24-48 hours. And not just them, but anyone who came within site of the sword. Thus, the sword was kept locked in a lead box at all times.

My game had progressed into Sigil at this point, and my players first came into contact with it when they were hired by the Doomgaurd to transport the weapon from the Outlands back to Sigil. They were told nothing of what was inside. And it was interesting to see them puzzle out what was happening when they encountered a plague (radiation sickness) and started coming under the effects of the radiation that was leaking through themselves. Radiation just isn't something you deal with often in a D&D game... What, did you say you wanted to cure that with cure disease? Oooh, sorry.. No go.

Ultimately, the Doomguard planned to give the weapon to the Harmonium as a "peace offering." Of course, the players discovered the ruse before they delivered the goods and hijacked the cargo to keep it from reaching the heavily populated planar metropolis that is Sigil.

Talmek
06-15-2008, 06:00 AM
I am currently reading Lord of the Rings, for the fourth time in my life. I've always enjoyed the story, and it gives me a bit of inspiration for when I'm writing my own stories for my campaign.

I also got eight different Dungeons & Dragons Eberron books that rounded out my collection for less than twenty dollars (Thank you, Amazon!). So while I was on night shift last night I jumped into Secrets of Xen'drik and made it about 20 pages in before work got in the way.

I have also been picking out certain back issues of Dungeon magazine and reading them off and on this week. All in all, I've been reading quite a bit more than usual, and I'm thankful to have had the time.

agoraderek
06-15-2008, 06:24 PM
I am currently reading Lord of the Rings, for the fourth time in my life. I've always enjoyed the story, and it gives me a bit of inspiration for when I'm writing my own stories for my campaign.

I also got eight different Dungeons & Dragons Eberron books that rounded out my collection for less than twenty dollars (Thank you, Amazon!). So while I was on night shift last night I jumped into Secrets of Xen'drik and made it about 20 pages in before work got in the way.

I have also been picking out certain back issues of Dungeon magazine and reading them off and on this week. All in all, I've been reading quite a bit more than usual, and I'm thankful to have had the time.

i still like going back and reading classics like "the mud sorcerers tomb" and "of nests and nations" from the old dungeon magazines...

boulet
06-16-2008, 07:36 AM
If you don't mind the spoiler, read on:
[ hide]

Wow these [ hide] spoiler tags are neat I never realized they were there ! You should have advertised !

cplmac
06-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Recently finished the last book of the Meetings Sextent series of Dragonlance. Have started working on the first book of the Preludes I series of Dragonlance.

Demandred69
06-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Swordmage by Rich Baker. Thought it went well with the 4th edition theme. A very good book. I like how he encorporates the feudal system. The characters are solid, too.

Recently finished an oldy- Hunters of The Red Moon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Was great for a shorter book. It's about how a man, woman, very human-like but alien woman, lizardman, and a catman try to survive a deadly game of cat and mouse with unknown entities known only as hunters. The main characters have to survive for a certain amount of time on a foreign planet. If they can, they are to be freed and given riches. In the history of 'game there have been almost no survivors.

RivenNookRavenClaw
06-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Errr...I didn't either. Hide huh?

Okay I'll try it when it counts.

Let me try it first:

Here is my shame: "I feel like such a fool" next I'll place that sentence between the tags and see...

I feel like such a fool

Hmmm...here goes.

Wow! Oh, My, God! Like I am totally AWE-some! :cool:

RivenNookRavenClaw
06-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Recently finished the last book of the Meetings Sextent series of Dragonlance. Have started working on the first book of the Preludes I series of Dragonlance.

I think I overdosed on that collection...Dragonlance...I mean I am donating my entire collection to my local library a bit at a time and I have over a hundred books for that series.

I CAN'T Take it any more JIM! I am a Vulcan man not a KENDER- (Shaking my head really fast)

I mean I think the whole series is very illogical and not fascinating at all.

So want to fess up? :alien:

P.S. What about :vulcan: for an emoticon, a little arch eyebrow shouldn't be too hard.

Schmall
06-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Always had a hard time getting into the dragonlance series. Tried a few times, but only could finish a few of the books before I got bored with them.

As for the classics, the first 3 or 4 books of Narnia series I love. Also the Wrinkle in Time along with its sequel. Didnt care too much about the story dealing with the twins. Lost interest.

Golden Compass, Subtle Knife, and Amber Spy Glass would have to be one of my favorites for sure. Right along with the Riftwar Saga.

tesral
06-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Always had a hard time getting into the dragonlance series. Tried a few times, but only could finish a few of the books before I got bored with them.

I saw the modules first that rather killed any interest I might have. They had everything but the choo-choo.

agoraderek
06-17-2008, 11:04 PM
I saw the modules first that rather killed any interest I might have. They had everything but the choo-choo.

it did, the choo-choo was in the annoying kender's bag of holding. lionel, HO scale...

Igbutton
06-18-2008, 12:53 AM
I just finished Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch. It's the second book in a series about, in my opinion, the greatest thief and liar ever(The first book is The Lies of Locke Lamorra). Very well written, I really recommend it.

Also finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.
It's very good as well.

Did someone say something about actual Shadowrun books? Like novels? I need to get my hands on those.

Webhead
06-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Did someone say something about actual Shadowrun books? Like novels? I need to get my hands on those.

I've seen them on the shelf at Half Price Books quite often. Never read any as there are already far too many books on the "waiting list". Could be interesting, but could just as easily be very, very bad. Such is the nature of "RPG fiction".

agoraderek
06-19-2008, 01:39 AM
I've seen them on the shelf at Half Price Books quite often. Never read any as there are already far too many books on the "waiting list". Could be interesting, but could just as easily be very, very bad. Such is the nature of "RPG fiction".

i've only read one, it wasn't bad, but it was BRUTAL. very in line with the setting, not something i'd let a kid younger than high school age read.

gdmcbride
06-19-2008, 02:39 AM
Books I Have Recently Finished

"Dies the Fire" S.M.Stirling -- a great book about the end of the world.

"World War Z" Max Brooks -- a tale of the Great Zombie War told by the author of the "Zombie Survival Guide".

"City of the Beast" Michael Moorcock -- The first Michael Kane of Mars books.

"Black Gods and Scarlet Dreams" C.L. Moore -- a compiliation of the Jirel of Joire sword and sorcery tales.

"A History of the Vikings" Gwyn Jones -- non-fiction historical

Gary

wizard_in_motley
06-19-2008, 10:49 AM
I went to the used book store and found a couple of good ones:

Assassin's Apprentice (Robin Hobb)
Not all that much going on in the book action-wise but it was a good to see a 'bad guy' as the main character. I will certainly get the rest of the series.

Divided Allegiance (The deads of Paksenarrion bk 2, Elisabeh Moon)
You can get the first book as a free e-book. Now that I've read this I'll have to find the last one. It's like reading someone's gaming sessions if they ran a single player RPG but the character is more interesting than what you normally end up with in that style of book.

RivenNookRavenClaw
06-19-2008, 11:56 PM
I went to the used book store and found a couple of good ones:
Assassin's Apprentice (Robin Hobb)
Not all that much going on in the book action-wise but it was a good to see a 'bad guy' as the main character. I will certainly get the rest of the series.

Sorry, I just had to. I love Fitz Chilvary...even more so in the second trilogy involving him. He takes in an orphan named "Hap" who was a mishap and although when I first read it I thought it was really slow I now love the little meditation on him raising his son.

He is a real sexual tightwad though, which I do not find to nice when it came to him and certain Twany person.

nijineko
06-20-2008, 12:09 AM
reading andre norton's oak, ash, rowan and yew series.

Demandred69
06-21-2008, 11:29 AM
I've read the Memory, Sorrow, & Thorn series when it came out. I, too, loved it. It's up there with Dennis Mckiernan's Iron Tower trilogy, Raymond E. Fiest's Midkemia Series, and Glen Cook's The Black Company.

Stan Nichols's First Blood series is great too. Especially, if you like orcs. It's about a band of orc( and a dwarf) mercanaries that go searching for a powerful artifact that everyone seems to be after, including their former employers who are hunting them.

I liked Elfstones of Shannara. I guess we all have differant opinions. But yeh, there is a bit of LOTR there. Especially in the first book. Voyage of The Jerle of Shannara is a decent airship trip and Heritage of Shannara is good.

I enjoyed The Wheel of Time Books up until Book 5. There were too many characters introduced and some older ones just dissapeered from the stories in the later volumes. I did hope he'd finish them, but that didn't happen. Too bad.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-25-2008, 06:15 PM
I've been devouring warhammer fantasy and Conan novels. What can i say, it's my favorite fantasy... dark & gritty.

When it comes to Drow, the War of the Spider Queen series quenched my thirst, if that's even possible.

Thoth-Amon

Inquisitor Tremayne
06-26-2008, 10:03 AM
I am now reading the Legacy series of Star Wars books.

Set 40 years after Return of the Jedi and centers around the children of Han and Leia and Luke and Mara.

Fun times!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-26-2008, 10:15 AM

Set 40 years after Return of the Jedi and centers around the children of Han and Leia and Luke and Mara.

Fun times!
I love Star Wars and everything about it except... Han and Leia. I have no idea why. I know theyve been putting out books since the '70's and have always wanted to read them so in order to make myself begin, i just need to know one thing; "do they make those characters a lot more wicked and capable than the movies portrayed?" Thanks.

Thoth-Amon

boulet
06-26-2008, 10:21 AM

Fun times!
What's the mood of this "after" story ?

Inquisitor Tremayne
06-26-2008, 10:35 AM
I love Star Wars and everything about it except... Han and Leia. I have no idea why. I know theyve been putting out books since the '70's and have always wanted to read them so in order to make myself begin, i just need to know one thing; "do they make those characters a lot more wicked and capable than the movies portrayed?" Thanks.

Thoth-Amon

Han and Leia wicked!!?? No, they are not. In fact one thing that bothers me is that it is mentioned several times how much of a killer Han ISN'T!!! For those of you who feel strongly that Han did indeed shoot first.

Han and Leia for the most part are background characters. The story centers on their two kids, Jacen and Jaina, and Luke and Mara's son, Ben.

What's the mood of this "after" story ?

The Galactic Alliance is struggling to hold the galaxy together while Corellia is wanting to form its own naval fleet and does so in secret AND they are trying to bring Centerpoint station back online!

The Jedi Council, is struggling with its place in the Galaxy, since it doesn't want to be a participant in a war that they can't seem to avoid.

Jacen Solo feels it's his duty to bring peace to the galaxy, ala his grandfather Anakin.

Ben Skywalker is Jacen's apprentice and struggles with wanting to be a grown up and not recognized as a Skywalker and how dark his master, Jacen , is becoming.

Jaina feels her brother slipping to the dark side but is fearful to confront him about it.

A mysterious Sith lady has reappeared and is manipulating the events of the Galaxy.

So all in all it has a grey mood. Not everything is as it seems and the lines between right and wrong and justice and chaos are blurred.

I recommend them!

boulet
06-26-2008, 11:07 AM
A lot of the setting you describe is unfamiliar to me. Is there like another series of books for those 40 years in between ? Or is it an effect of you trying to sum up the whole shebang ?

Inquisitor Tremayne
06-26-2008, 11:13 AM
A lot of the setting you describe is unfamiliar to me. Is there like another series of books for those 40 years in between ? Or is it an effect of you trying to sum up the whole shebang ?

In between this time you have the Thrawn trilogy, The New Jedi order series, and the Joiner King series. I know there is another 2 or 3 series inbetween this time also but not sure what they are.

I have only begun to read the Thrawn Trilogy, but you don't need to have read the books prior to this series. They explain most of what you need to know.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Han and Leia wicked!!?? No, they are not. In fact one thing that bothers me is that it is mentioned several times how much of a killer Han ISN'T!!! For those of you who feel strongly that Han did indeed shoot first.

Han and Leia for the most part are background characters. The story centers on their two kids, Jacen and Jaina, and Luke and Mara's son, Ben.

The Galactic Alliance is struggling to hold the galaxy together while Corellia is wanting to form its own naval fleet and does so in secret AND they are trying to bring Centerpoint station back online!

The Jedi Council, is struggling with its place in the Galaxy, since it doesn't want to be a participant in a war that they can't seem to avoid.

Jacen Solo feels it's his duty to bring peace to the galaxy, ala his grandfather Anakin.

Ben Skywalker is Jacen's apprentice and struggles with wanting to be a grown up and not recognized as a Skywalker and how dark his master, Jacen , is becoming.

Jaina feels her brother slipping to the dark side but is fearful to confront him about it.

A mysterious Sith lady has reappeared and is manipulating the events of the Galaxy.

So all in all it has a grey mood. Not everything is as it seems and the lines between right and wrong and justice and chaos are blurred.

I recommend them!
"Wicked" was a poor choice of words. My point of Han and Leia was based off of the '70's flick.

As i said, i havent read any of the books* and found myself having trouble buying books with those two characters on the cover. I know, i know, i have some kind of weird hang-up with those 2.

I did read the Sith book that took place right before Episode 1. I enjoyed it.

Thoth-Amon

agoraderek
06-26-2008, 02:46 PM
"Wicked" was a poor choice of words. My point of Han and Leia was based off of the '70's flick.

As i said, i havent read any of the books* and found myself having trouble buying books with those two characters on the cover. I know, i know, i have some kind of weird hang-up with those 2.

I did read the Sith book that took place right before Episode 1. I enjoyed it.

Thoth-Amon

don't worry, i, for one, got the "wicked-awesome" meaning over the "wicked-evil" meaning, i guess being an 80's teenager, and having a few friends from boston will do that, though ;)

jade von delioch
06-26-2008, 04:23 PM
i am currently read the 4th book in the "percy jackson and the olympians" series.

I just finished the first book to the heir of ash series which was pretty good and wait to read the next one.

Engar
06-26-2008, 04:57 PM
I recently finished Bram Stoker's Dracula. I recommend it to anyone who likes horror games.

Webhead
06-26-2008, 06:51 PM
I recently finished Bram Stoker's Dracula. I recommend it to anyone who likes horror games.

I need to re-read Dracula, if only because the Black Court vampires of the Dresden Files are so heavily inspired by Stoker's fiction.

Derek
09-26-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm currently reading The Fionavar Tapastry by Guy Gavriel Kay. It's an awsome trilogy all in one book. this is my 5th time reading this book and it gets better every time i read it.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Finishing up Curse Of The Necrarch, by Seven Savile. Next up, Shaman Slayer, with the hero's Gotrek and Felix. Can't wait.

michael
09-26-2009, 11:40 AM
I am reading GURPS campaigns 4th ed. and listening to "Radio Coup" by Mobius Band.

Bearfoot_Adam
09-27-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm currently reading The Lords of the North By Bernard Cornwell. This is book 3 of his Saxon series. Tells the story of England during the 9th century and how Alfred the Great united the country. I always go to Bernard for my historical fiction.

Windstar
09-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Pathfinder Core Rule Book, Pathfinder Council of Thieves #1 "Bastards of Erebus" & Pathfinder Companion "Cheliax Empire of Devils"

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-27-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm now reading Shamanslayer (see above) and enjoying it immensely.

traesin
09-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Just finished a novel about Henry the 8th and his court. In between reading chapters of "handling and restraint" of animals, I'm rereading "I,Strahd".

Arkhemedes
09-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Just finished a novel about Henry the 8th and his court. In between reading chapters of "handling and restraint" of animals, I'm rereading "I,Strahd".
Good choice! One of my all-time faves and should be required reading for all players of Ravenloft. I'd let my f2f players read my hardback copy but I'm afraid I'd never get it back.

Handsomethrowrug
09-27-2009, 03:13 PM
I just finished reading "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, a book I HIGHLY recommend to anyone interested at all in good story-telling. I'm currently reading "World Mythology", a textbook on its namesake that I'm finding vastly fascinating, though I'm supposed to be reading "Scar Night" by Alan Campbell that my coworker lent me.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-27-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm currently reading The Lords of the North By Bernard Cornwell. This is book 3 of his Saxon series. Tells the story of England during the 9th century and how Alfred the Great united the country. I always go to Bernard for my historical fiction.
Good to know. I will have to check out Bernard's work.

Freejack
09-27-2009, 10:33 PM
William Gibson: Mona Lisa Overdrive (third Sprawl book)
The Judge Dredd Mega Collection
Javascript: The Definitive Guide
Learning Javascript

Hmm, that's it off the top of my head.

Carl

traesin
09-28-2009, 12:28 AM

definitely going to have to check it out. I love English history

Sascha
09-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Gaming
Spirit of the Century: sure, it's a reread, but danged if it doesn't inspire the awesome~ (Now, to find the time to assemble some like-minded folk :P)

Non-gaming
Dead Beat: Best. Zombie. Evar. You know the one~ ;)
Dancing Skeletons: an anthropologist's return to fieldwork in 1980s Mali; requirement for school, but it's a surprisingly good book.

Q-man
09-29-2009, 07:29 AM
Steven King's "The Eyes of the Dragon (http://books.google.com/books?id=mo5g2DVNwOoC)"
And the D&D 4th Dungeon Master's Guide 2

michael
09-29-2009, 12:55 PM
good books.

I am working on Cerebus Book 8 "Women".

Freejack
09-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Drop Judge Dredd and add Comstock Lode (Western :) ).

Carl

michael
10-01-2009, 05:27 AM
I am reading GURPS rulebooks for this campaign.

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12553

:laser:

XeroDrift
10-04-2009, 12:57 AM
"Don Quixote" by Miguel Cervantes de Saavedra (I read these two once a year)
"Physics of the Impossible" by Michio Kaku
It applies real world science and physics to traditional sci-fi mainstays, like force fields, invisibility, time travel, etc... sort of a mythbusters type of deal.
And the usual game books, some D&D stuff, some Rifts stuff.
And a collection of poetry from various influential artists of the last few centuries (ranging from the early 1600's to the early 1900's) that I skip around in and keep handy for shots to the spirit and trips to the bathroom...

Arkhemedes
10-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Are you serious? You read "Don Quixote" once a year? Yikes! There are other books out there you know...books that are a lot better. I'm going to have to really razz you about this the next time I see you.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Finished Shamanslayer. It was a good read and this author did incredibly well writing about adventures in forests. He definitely ended it leaving no doubt to his readers that their will be another slayer book to come, most likely called--and this is my guess--Undeadslayer.

traesin
10-04-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm between books. don't know what to read. history, sci-fi, or fantasy. Can't buy a book this week so I have to pick something from my library.

michael
10-04-2009, 02:22 PM
I am reading "Selected Stories" by Guy De Maupassant.

XeroDrift
10-05-2009, 06:17 AM
Are you serious? You read "Don Quixote" once a year? Yikes! There are other books out there you know...books that are a lot better. I'm going to have to really razz you about this the next time I see you.

heh heh

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-05-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm currently reading Mathias Thulmann: Witch Hunter, an omnibus, by C.L. Werner.

Freejack
10-06-2009, 06:46 AM
Mona Lisa Overdrive (I put it down to read the two westerns) and my wife found some Young Adult book at the library dollar sale. Gil's All Fright Diner. It's actually pretty funny so far. Zombie Jersey Cows "Mooo ooo ooo ooooooo" :laugh:

Carl

tesral
10-06-2009, 09:16 PM
I';m reading Pen and Paper Forums. :lol:

traesin
10-25-2009, 01:52 AM
Soooo I just got a H.P. Lovecraft book. My first one. Wish me luck.

tesral
10-25-2009, 02:14 AM

Can I have your stuff after you go insane?

Richard Littles
10-25-2009, 03:27 AM
I'm reading this thread...

traesin
10-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Can I have your stuff after you go insane?

Not much to have, but you can fight my gamer friends for it.

Farcaster
10-25-2009, 11:04 AM
I am currently reading...

The Ghost King: Transitions Book III by R.A. Salvatore
Colonial Gothic: Rulebook from Rogue Games
and the draft of Inceptum Terminus (Hero Game Setting) by Richard Littles.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Mathias Thulmann: Witch Hunter, by C.L. Werner.

Amazon.com: Matthias Thulmann: Witch Hunter (Warhammer Novels) (9781844165544): C. L. Werner: Books

It's a well written novel.

Sneaksta
10-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Ok, anyone else have the habit of waiting for the release or next book in a series, and pop, when it comes out, you have to go back and Re-read the entire series leading up to it so that everything is fresh? Sometimes I hate myself.. :)
Knowing that I may have to drudge thru the Wheel of time this or next month , and tho it definitely is not a chore, The Dresden files soon, and His other series Codex Alera....
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Also, have you ever been reading a series that has you confused, intrigue'd, and UTTERLY Pissed-off! at the author, but you have to keep reading?? I call it The chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever. By Stephen R. Donaldson.

I had to stop reading the series after book 1 of the second chronicles, because my wife saidthat i became a dark, foul, menacing and angry person when reading these.. lol

Arkhemedes
10-25-2009, 04:26 PM
I loved the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant! Yeah, he's an anti-hero and you have to keep that in mind. But you have to read it all the way through!

Freejack
10-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Crystal Singer - Anne McCaffery
Steampunk Anthology
Shadowrun 4th 20th Anniversary (for program)

Carl

Sascha
10-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Proven Guilty, the 11th in the Dresden Files. (Prolly will go through the series again when Changes comes out, too, heh.)

Not sure what next. Maybe a re-read of Peter Sagal's The Book of Vice.

Sneaksta
10-26-2009, 07:48 AM
Also a coupe series me and the wife are reading.. Dexter. ( tho not really a big series yet,) Anita Blake, vampire series by Laurell K Hamilton... yes it is getting better....for a few books she degenerated itno pornography, but the plotlines are coming back into focus....

Malruhn
10-26-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm re-re-reading the Eye of the World series by the late Robert Jordan... all in anticipation of a possible release of the last book of the series - written by his son from his notes.

XeroDrift
10-26-2009, 11:39 PM

Check out this website Traesin, www.dagonbytes.com (http://www.dagonbytes.com)
In the "library of the classics" section it has the collected works of Lovecraft, enough reading to drive a small town crazy.

I'm re-re-reading the Eye of the World series by the late Robert Jordan... all in anticipation of a possible release of the last book of the series - written by his son from his notes.

Hey, Kudos Malruhn! The Wheel of Time is one of my all-time favorite series, I've read it through several times. Was seriously bummed when Robert died, both because of the tragedy of losing a favorite and talented author, and the fact that the series wasnt finished. Hope his son can do it justice! (I always liked Mat Cauthon and Thom Merrilin. And Myrdraal are awesome!)

Oh yeah, as for what I'm reading...
I just finished Dan Brown's latest novel "The Lost Symbol", on par with his other books, definitely worth reading if you like his work.

Sneaksta
10-27-2009, 12:46 AM
Alas, Robert Jordan's " last" book is to be broken up into 3 books. Book 12 to be released this month. the other 2 who knows when.

XeroDrift
10-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Ok, anyone else have the habit of waiting for the release or next book in a series, and pop, when it comes out, you have to go back and Re-read the entire series leading up to it so that everything is fresh?

Yep

traesin
10-28-2009, 06:38 AM
me too.

XeroDrift
10-29-2009, 04:00 PM
A Farewell to Arms

Genetic-Jackhammer
10-29-2009, 08:02 PM
other than porn? im reading the rules for star wars saga

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Corporate Finance: Core Principles and Applications

Oh yeah... exciting stuff.

Freejack
10-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Heh, wrong thread :D

Actually reading Killashandra (still :) ).

Carl

Inquisitor Tremayne
10-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Just started The Pirate King. Go Drizzt!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Just started The Pirate King. Go Drizzt!

I stopped reading it a few chapters in. Let me know if it gets better for then maybe i will be able to build the motivation to continue reading.

michael
10-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Reading GURPS basic set, campaigns, 4th ed. again.

James Ruglia
11-01-2009, 05:45 PM
What am I currently reading? This forum.

Alright alright, I'm currently reading the Old Testament and the Doctrine and Covenants.

I don't read for entertainment, I have no other responses.

Freejack
11-01-2009, 05:47 PM
I dunno. The D&C can be quite entertaining :)

Carl

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-01-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm reading... my computer. Hey, James Ruglia started it. <Thoth points finger his way...no, not that finger...you guys are such kidders>

Freejack
11-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Just finished the Solaris DTrace Web Based Training class. It was interesting and likely worth the couple hundred bucks I paid for it. The nice thing is that there was some complication and the WBT is available for a year after taking the class. So I can go back as I practice the class.

Carl

XeroDrift
11-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Still "A Farewell to Arms"
I've read it a few times by now, and I always ask myself
"If he had no arms, how did he write this book? Dictation?" :drum:

Dytrrnikl
11-05-2009, 11:42 AM
2001: A Space Oddysey, The Ghost King, The Republic (Plato), Redwall, and Atlas Shrugged.

I'd love to be able to sit down and read all 5 books simultaneously, however, the break down is this:

2001 - Read during lunch hour at work.
The Ghost King - before going to sleep and just after waking up
The Republic - While the kids nap duringthe afternoons
Redwall - To the kid's as part of getting them to sleep
Atlas Shrugged - Bathroom entertainment

Atlas and Redwall will take awhile, but the other three I'll have done in another day or two. Then I'll have to find other things to fill in the blanks.

wbrandel
11-05-2009, 12:47 PM
I am currently reading Knights of the Dinner Table, just finished with the Dark Hunter series (new book just came out ) and I am rereading some classics, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Mary Shelley's Frankenstien, and Charles Dicken's A Tale of Two Cities.

XeroDrift
11-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Atlas Shrugged - Bathroom entertainment

I applaud your choice of novel here, Ayn Rand is another one of my very favorite authors, however, I must protest the ignoble "bathroom entertainment" categorization, it (and she) deserve much better!

Freejack
11-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Back to the Steampunk Anthology. It's not bad really but since it's a bunch of short stories, some are pretty good and some, well not so much :)

Carl

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Reading up on employment opportunities in Nome, Alaska.

Sascha
11-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Finished The Book of Vice: Very Naughty Things (and How to Do Them). Now re-reading Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book.

Bearfoot_Adam
11-07-2009, 06:05 PM
I have yet to pick up the graveyard book and have been kicking myself. How is it?

Right now I'm reading Jim Butchers Princep's Fury. It's... a Jim Butcher novel. He's not the greatest author, his does not have a very good sense of narrative or dialogue, but he comes up with original concepts and his books are entertaining. So it's worth reading.

timelesstyrant
11-08-2009, 01:45 AM
I am currently on page 118 of 1,072 in Stephen King's new book Under the Dome. Can't WAIT to read more!!!

*stops typing to read*

Sascha
11-08-2009, 02:30 AM
I have yet to pick up the graveyard book and have been kicking myself. How is it?
It's a nice homage to Kipling, with a very Neil Gaiman flair to it. Illustrated, too, by Dave McKean, which adds to the text (same as Coraline). The characters are rather fun, 'specially the ghouls.

Dytrrnikl
11-08-2009, 08:52 AM
I applaud your choice of novel here, Ayn Rand is another one of my very favorite authors, however, I must protest the ignoble "bathroom entertainment" categorization, it (and she) deserve much better!

It's actually the third time I'm reading it. I'm looking at it in a different light after having read the book about Ego, forget the title. I want tog et a hold of a copy of The Fountainhead (?), and read that as well.

XeroDrift
11-08-2009, 06:05 PM
I want tog et a hold of a copy of The Fountainhead (?), and read that as well.

I actually just re-read The Fountainhead a couple of months ago, if its gonna be your first go round with it you are in for a treat. It and Atlas are her best works in my opinion.

Genetic-Jackhammer
11-09-2009, 01:02 AM
reading voluptous vixens

jocurionline
11-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Isaac Asimov - I robot

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Busywork directions to my paper. So how i hate busywork. Such a waste of time.

Genetic-Jackhammer
11-11-2009, 04:28 AM
im reading a papa murphys aid.. and thinking WHY!!

Webhead
11-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Currently reading: Thongor and the Wizard of Lemuria.

Next up: Thongor and the Dragon City

After that: The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian

And after that: Swords and Deviltry

I've been on a bit of a Sword & Sorcery kick lately...

XeroDrift
11-11-2009, 10:44 PM
It's a nice homage to Kipling

I've a bit of a love hate relationship with Kipling. I very much like his poetry, and most of his stories are wonderful, but a few are quite dull. And yet, since I am a big fan of his poetry, and generally enjoy his storytelling, I force myself to read even the tedious ones all the way through, and then bear him a grudge for a couple of weeks.

tesral
11-12-2009, 05:12 PM
I've a bit of a love hate relationship with Kipling. I very much like his poetry, and most of his stories are wonderful, but a few are quite dull. And yet, since I am a big fan of his poetry, and generally enjoy his storytelling, I force myself to read even the tedious ones all the way through, and then bear him a grudge for a couple of weeks.

Note everyone has a hit every time. I'm a Kipling fan myself.

Music improves the poems. Cold Iron, Normans & Saxons, Our Fathers of Old are all titles of albums Kipling poems set to music. I'm breathlessly wanting for the reissue of "The Undertakers Horse".

Eryiedes
11-13-2009, 03:18 PM
-Fire in the Minds of Men
-Four arguements for the Elimination of Television
-The sercret teachings of all ages
-Restaurant at the end of the universe

Mind you I don't read as much as I used to

Peace & Light

Webhead
11-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Update: Just finished Thongor and the Wizard of Lemuria. Moving on to Thongor and the Dragon City now...

Ishcumbeebeeda
11-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Currently I'm tearing through a series called "Vampire Earth." I forget the author... E E Knight maybe.... something with a double letter initial at any rate.... I'm also reading "City of Ash" with(but mostly to because my throught holds out longer) my fiance after having finished "City of Glass."
Oh, and I'm reading a book called "Stolen" that I grabed off the kid's room shelf at random when I ran out of bathroom reading.

On a slightly less related note I was hoping some of you guy's could help me out. I'm trying to remember the name of a series I was reading back in middle school that a friend that I've since lost contact with lent me. The only thing I can remember about the books is that one of the main characters is a woman who uses true name magic, one is half some AWESOME race that can sense things with the surfaced veins on his body, and the third is... ummm.... big and strong I think..... Oh, and they travel over a root of a Tree through the world and come out very very much later..... trying to think of the title evokes the image of a harp for some reason. Sorry I can't provide more info. I tried this question on yahoo answers and didn't really get anything very helpfull other than the fact that I now know it's not Wayfarer's Redemption. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out. Oh yeah, I just rememberd that while they were traveling on the root the girl had to use her truename magic to get all three of them (one at a time) through a fire of some kind and it subtly altered all of them because she was chanting her image of them... kinda like going through a forge and burning off all the impurities. I remember thinking how awesome that would be at the time....

Sneaksta
11-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Ish, That would be Elizabeth Hayden Rhapsody series... Very Cool!!!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Corporate Finance... once again.

Ishcumbeebeeda
11-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Ish, That would be Elizabeth Hayden Rhapsody series... Very Cool!!!

YES! Just reading the name I remember it now! So, thanks to the magic that is interlibrary loan I shall soon be rereading/reading this as well. You have no idea how happy this makes me and how awesome this just made this day... this might help to describe it... :roll::laugh::rockon::becky::peace:

UURich
04-26-2010, 07:57 AM
School reading is Injustice and the Care of Souls. I'll have to respond to a few vignettes in it while trying not to pay attention to the Buffalo Sabres hockey game. Win or go home.

Pleasure reading is Ireland's Pirate Queen: The True Story of Grace O'Malley, 1530 - 1603. Grabbed it out of a bargain bin at Barnes & Noble for a few dollar bills that I had in my pocket. I'm always looking for literary works that I can interpret into leather projects.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-26-2010, 08:30 AM
The Complete Chronicles of Conan, Initiation, and Death and Dishonour, by Robert E. Howard, & Elisabeth Haich, respectively; the third having been written by various authors, including Nathan Long, C.L. Werner, and David Earle. All excellent books, BTW.

Next will be The Complete Works of Lovecraft. Can't wait.

I also have in my possession The Lost Horizon II. The first one, written in 1933 and introduced the mythical Himalayan city of Shangri-La, written by James Hilton, was awesome, so i hope the 2nd one is at least half as good. We will see.

Sascha
04-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Finished up Changes, the latest Dresden Files book, and The Winter's Tale. Now it's on to The Tempest and ... something else I haven't decided on yet :P

kurtthedm
04-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Re-reading "The Cell" by John Miller, Michael Stone, and Chris Mitchell. It's about the 9/11 attacks and the Al-Qaeda conspiracy behind them. It served as inspiration for "The Path to 9/11" (2006) television miniseries and its sources were cited in the 9/11 Commission Report.

UURich
04-27-2010, 09:11 AM
The Complete Chronicles of Conan, Initiation, and Death and Dishonour, by Robert E. Howard, & Elisabeth Haich, respectively; the third having been written by various authors, including Nathan Long, C.L. Werner, and David Earle. All excellent books, BTW.

Next will be The Complete Works of Lovecraft. Can't wait.

Robert Howard and Lovecraft ran in the same circles and had a good friendship for a number of years before Robert's life took a turn for the worst.

I now pick up American Transcendentalism for a second time and read as much as I write. I need a break from school but the summer isn't going to be any easier.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-27-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm reading at this very moment, Business Law: The Ethical, Global, and E-Commerce Environment.

Sascha
04-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Might start up Neil deGrasse Tyson's Death by Black Hole and Other Cosmic Quandries sometime this week. It's been on our shelf for a year or two now, heh.

nytflyr
04-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Started reading Edgar Rice Burroughs', Pellucidar a few nights ago (yeah, Im a slow reader), my goal is to read the whole series by the end of the year, and if I have time the Pirates of Venus series.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-27-2010, 07:04 PM
I tried reading a somewhat famous science fiction noven from the 70's a few months back. Talk about corney. I just couldn't get through the swimming with the highened intelligence dolphins, ugh! Yes, i know...awkward sentence.

Bearfoot_Adam
04-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Right now I'm going through The Family: The secret fundamentalism at the heart of American power. Just finished upwith First Lord's fury.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-27-2010, 10:30 PM
Emails, emails, and more emails. I have 3-4 books coming in the mail - cant wait!

tesral
04-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Old Phoenixplay moves to dig our races and locations.

Blydden
04-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Reading The Legend of Luke by Brain Jacques.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Luke

TaiRei
04-29-2010, 04:29 AM
Spook Country by William Gibson

templeorder
04-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Three Days to Never - Tim Powers
The Missionary and the Libertine - Ian Buruma

mrken
05-01-2010, 12:49 PM
On the advice of a friend I picked up a copy of The 5000 Year Leap by Cleon Skousen. Not at all what I expected, but still very good.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-01-2010, 12:53 PM
emails emails emails, and waiting on Queen of Hell to come in the mail.

Arkhemedes
05-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Started reading Edgar Rice Burroughs', Pellucidar a few nights ago (yeah, Im a slow reader), my goal is to read the whole series by the end of the year, and if I have time the Pirates of Venus series.

Just recently bought both of those series myself. It'll be a while before I read them though. Currently reading some Charles Dickens books and they're all pretty long reads.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Reading about huge oil findings under America and China

Morcant
05-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Managerial Economics

Arkhemedes
05-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Ozzy Osbourne's autobiography I am Ozzy. Makes a good book to leave in the bathroom and just read a few paragraphs every so often while your taking care of other business.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Friend of mine wrote about the experience of raising his kundalini. I was just reading the details.

mrken
05-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Picked up A Blood-Dimmed Tide again. Started reading it months ago but never finished it. Still have not finished reading The 5000 Year Leap. Yeah, I know I'm a slow reader, but I had to watch The Big Bang Theory series my wife bought me. It's been setting on the TV stand for several months and was making me feel guilty about her feel she was wasting money. Then The West Wing series grabbed me. It is the only free time I have and I wasted it watching television shows. Have season five and seven to watch and then I will get back to my books. But I can't promise. :(

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Reading a friends novel he wrote that takes place in the Traveller world.

Blydden
05-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Knights in History and Legend by Constance Brittain Bouchard.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Managerial Economics & emails.

Umiushi
05-14-2010, 02:06 PM
The Peace War by Vernor Vinge. He wrote it in 1984; part of the story's set 13 years later, in 1997. Here I am, 13 years after that, reading it in 2010. Usually, when I read a book set in the author's future that's also in my past, it's a little like watching an episode of The Jetsons. Vinge's much better than that. Other than a couple of oddities (The Soviet Union) and name-changes, it's easy to imagine that he wrote the book in 1997. For one thing, his computers are spot-on, and how many people get that right, ever?

One thing I discovered, now that I'm almost done with the book, is that reading the back copy of the current printing is pretty spoilerific, and unless you really love spoilers the page-long preview at the beginning should be skipped without hesitation. It manages to ruin something like half-a-dozen pleasant surprises in the story.

If you manage to resist the urge to look at any of that, then instead spoiling away at the plot, I would say that the book presents a bit of a mystery that it gradually solves for itself: why do people in the mid-21st century seem to be in the late 19th-century, with single electric bulbs for light and horse-drawn carriages, even though they know everything you would expect someone to know who was from the mid-21st century (i.e. they're not ignorant of technological progress)? One hint for people who are thinking about today's tropes: the answer has nothing to do with the natural environment.

I can't resist a minor spoiler though: this is the first non-textbook I've read where getting a process from O(n^2) to O(n*log(n)) complexity is an actual issue that's brought up. Maybe some of the cyberpunk novels do it too; I've not read everything that's out there.

Law
05-23-2010, 08:53 AM
I just picked up a few Daniel Woodrell (http://Daniel%20Woodrell) novels at the used book store on my way home last week. Woodrell writes "country noir," low-life crime novels set in the Ozarks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ozarks). I'm do love me some noir from time to time. I've already finished Winter's Bone. On to the next tonight.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Managerial Economics for another 3 weeks

wilver
07-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Reading The Baroque Cycle (Neal Stephenson) for the millionth time.

UURich
07-24-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm reading The Essential Rumi for a wedding that I'm officiating at the end of August. That's along with The Prophet by Gibran.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Management Information Systems

UURich
07-24-2010, 11:47 PM
CthuluTech after picking it up at DriveThruRPG. We've considering it for a summer event next year. I finally got to play Pathfinder for eight sessions, once a week. It's been good to me. I have a Bard 6/Harrower 2.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-25-2010, 08:46 AM
A fan written online Traveller rpg novel.

Umiushi
07-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Rereading Under Heaven, the latest fantasy novel by Guy Gavriel Kay. For people tired of series that never end, Kay's made a name for himself writing standalone books. There's magic and mayhem (and a little wuxia) in it to be sure, but a lot of Under Heaven is about how people - and horses - hundreds of miles distant can have immediate, drastic effects on a character's life. I'm rereading it now that I've looked up more of the historical context, i.e. spoilers.

Talmek
07-25-2010, 05:27 PM
For College (Web Design & Philosophy):

Blended HTML/XHTML and CSS by H. Bojack

Ways of Knowing: Selected Readings by Dodson/Avery
Roll Away the Stone by Fred Taylor

For Pleasure:
Faith of the Fallen by Terry Goodkind (Sword of Truth Series Book 6)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-25-2010, 07:16 PM
I'm looking forward to the release of the next Gotrek and Felix novel being released later this year. It's called, Zombieslayer.

MortonStromgal
07-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Just finished Witch Finder, on to the next one in the omni bus :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Loved that omnibus. Good stuff.

Malruhn
07-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Erak's Ransom by John Flannagan, book seven of the Ranger's Apprentice series. It's billed as "young adult" reading, but I'm hooked on the historic atmosphere.

I recommend them all!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-28-2010, 12:46 AM
Beginning Old Man's War, by John Scalzi, this evening. Pretty damn original. Check it out when you all have time.

4.5 stars on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Old-Mans-War-John-Scalzi/dp/0765309408

shilar
07-28-2010, 03:55 AM
Love the Ranger's apprentice series myself but if they meet one more "best of whatever he does" character I might scream. I mean come on he's taught by the best, mentored by the second best, his best friend is a natural swordsman, his girlfriend who grew up effectively in an orphanage is an amazing diplomat with perfect noble behavior, where another girl is a world class cook, the baron and battlemaster are both top knights. You get the idea. But then again this is part of where the "young adult" part comes in./rant

Umiushi
07-29-2010, 05:36 AM
Marooned in Realtime by Vernor Vinge, the sequel to The Peace War. Set fifty million years after the 1990s, with a couple of the old characters still kicking around, it looks like it serves both as a murder mystery and a survey of speculative evolutionary biology. Pretty cool on both counts, so far!

Malruhn
07-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Love the Ranger's apprentice series myself but if they meet one more "best of whatever he does" character I might scream. I mean come on he's taught by the best, mentored by the second best, his best friend is a natural swordsman, his girlfriend who grew up effectively in an orphanage is an amazing diplomat with perfect noble behavior, where another girl is a world class cook, the baron and battlemaster are both top knights. You get the idea. But then again this is part of where the "young adult" part comes in./rant
Ach, that's one of the reasons I liked it, as it reminded me of any standard D&D adventure. I also saw the appeal to the "YA" group, as they tend to do a lot of "hero worship" and everyone in authority is the bestest of the best of the best. My biggest complaint was in Sorceror of the North where Flannagan REALLY beat the, "If you break your word, you are a poopy head and everyone will hate you," meme to death.

Still, it's great escapism until the next Wheel of Time book comes out!!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Oh man, the first chapter of Old Man's War was awesome. Glad to find out that there are four books out in the series as of now.

Q-man
04-29-2011, 06:48 AM
I'm almost finished with The Name of the Wind. I was a little surprised that not much seemed to happen in the book. I know it was meant to be the first part in a trilogy, but still I expected that after 700 pages (at least thats what my nook claims) there would be some sort of conflict or major event that the characters would overcome. A lot of little stuff happened, that was all clearly meant to be the groundwork for a much larger story. Just a little disappointing that there was no real climax in the book.

That said, its been a very enjoyable book to read; and I'm looking forward to A Wise Man's Fears. If the series will hold to being a trilogy I'm expecting quite a bit to happen in that book.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-29-2011, 09:10 AM
An old sci-fi book from the 70's.

Q-man
05-03-2011, 07:49 AM
So I finish Name of the Wind and think: That was really good, I should get The Wise Man's Fear and continue the story. Off I go to barnesandnoble.com and see about getting it for the Nook. For some reason they are selling it at double the price of all the other books I've bought for the nook. I check Borders and Amazon and they are doing the same price gouging, I'm pretty sure that all 3 places will drop the price in a few months.

My next thought is that 15 minutes of searching will turn up a free copy. I wonder if any of these company's have a clue how their ridiculous pricing games encourage piracy? Had they listed it at the normal price I'd have bought a copy and contentedly been reading. Instead I'm looking over my list of unread books and noticing that I never finished the Chronicles of Prydain books. So now I'm reading the Castle of Llyr.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Best of Dragon 1-5

xcvxcv3
05-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Re-reading The Art of War and Go Rin No Sho.
New stuff would be Game of Thrones and the occasional Walking Dead when I remember to pick up issues.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Reviewing a few magickal texts.

gnombient
05-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Recently started Santiago by Mike Resnick, a Wild-West-in-space tale of an elusive supercriminal and the various bounty hunters, journalists, and others pursuing him. Pretty entertaining so far, I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Realms of the Underdark, by various authors.

Q-man
05-23-2011, 09:25 AM
The Rite (http://books.google.com/books?id=DqrLptuf3kIC&dq=0786935812&hl=en&ei=SW7aTcmHAonYgQfbkoVY&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAA)
Been a while since I've read forgotten realms stuff.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Another surprisingly good read is a book entitled The Forgotten Planet, by Murray Leinster. If you're into rainforests and/or jungles with plenty of - huge - insects for your fantasy campaigns, or are looking for a great undiscovered world for your science fiction campaign, then this book will give you plenty of great ideas.

Umiushi
05-28-2011, 07:20 AM
The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds. I always thought he was a decent writer with really good ideas and a great sense of setting. Now I'm glad to see that his writing has caught up to the level of his ideas. This is easily one of my top ten favorite novels, and I'll strongly recommend it for anyone who even half-enjoyed the Revelation Space setting but hasn't had a chance to check out this prequel from the Demarchists' Belle Epoque.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
05-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Temple of the Serpent & Masters of the Far East.

Umiushi
05-31-2011, 02:36 AM
Absolution Gap by Alastair Reynolds. It's the latest novel, chronologically, in the Revelation Space series but was written a few years before The Prefect. As I implied earlier, at this point in Reynolds' career, his writing isn't quite up to the level of his ideas, but it's still quite decent. It's nice to know how everything ends up, at least for now.

movwills
06-04-2011, 05:10 AM
I am Reading at the time Indian Novel...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-04-2011, 07:14 AM
Amazing Secrets of the Masters of the Far East

tesral
06-04-2011, 08:55 AM
I guess they are not secrets any more.

hallsofvalllhalla
06-08-2011, 05:15 PM
I noticed a few people mention Sword of Shannara being so much like Lord of the Rings. Ever read the Iron Tower Trilogy? Almost an exact copy. Extremely great books but wow everything from hobbits but named warrows to the mines, to the evil wizard. The Silver Call duology was excellent as well as was The Caverns of Socrates all by Dennis L McKiernan. To give him credit he did write a sequel to Lord Of the Rings but they would not approve it so he casted it into his own novel. I highly recommend them..
An interesting set of books that I doubt too many people have read is the The Seven Citadels series by Geraldine Harris. I read thm several years ago and they have always stayed with me.

I am looking for a good book to read now. Needs tons of action and adventure!

mrken
06-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Sword of Shannara, brings back a few memories. Wife insists I read this book. It's a great book she says. So I start reading it. Whoa, this is LotR's with a different cover on the front. So as I am reading it she starts to ask me where I am in the book. I tell her I am at this point, and a bit later I will be at this point, and tomorrow I will be at this point. She give me this weird look, like how do you know that? How could you know that, where are you really? So I explain to her I read this really good book years ago and this book is following the same plot lines. So this goes on for a few days and finally she gets upset and doesn't want to know where I am in the book anymore. lol I finished reading it just to see if he came to the same conclusion as Tolkien. ;)

tesral
06-09-2011, 10:28 AM
SoS gets good once he stops tying to be LotR. I read it ages ago.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Office 2007 manual

tesral
06-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Office 2007 manual

I'm sorry, I'm really, REALLY sorry.

gnombient
06-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Nearly done with The Quillian Sector by E. C. Tubb; his Dumarest of Terra novels are an occasional semi-guilty pleasure for me... Next up is Sandstorm by James Rollins.

Q-man
06-17-2011, 06:37 AM
The Outcast (http://books.google.com/books?id=MvcVAAAACAAJ)
Looking over my bookshelf for something else to pass the time on the bus rides to and from work. Push aside some dust and see Dark Sun novels. I don't remember buying those, I certainly haven't read them yet. I hope whoever loaned it to me wasn't expecting it back soon.

I also noticed that a whole bunch of Lovecraft's book are available free in epub format over here (http://www.manybooks.net/authors/lovecrafth.html). I'll be loading up my nook with those soon.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Musashi

Malruhn
06-18-2011, 01:05 AM
I just finished Raymond Feist's re-release of Magician for the Nth time. Very nice.

I also just finished Orson Scott Card's new(er) book, Ender in Exile. OMG it's a good book! Now I'm going to be going back and re-reading all of them (again).

Umiushi
06-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Every Grain of Rice, by Ellen Blonder and Annabel Low. It is a Chinese-American cookbook interspersed with an autobiographical account of growing up as second-generation Chinese-American farmers in California during the middle of the twentieth century. I was pleased and interested to find that the recipes match my personal taste, and the ingredients strike a balance between tradition and regional availability that I find favorable. Sorry, no immediate plans to incorporate anything from the book into the games I run.

Malruhn
06-20-2011, 08:41 PM
I realize that we're supposed to only post with books we've read - but I have to say that Every Grain of Rice sound REALLY interesting!!

Spiman12
07-03-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm currently reading Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind. This is the second book in the Sword of Truth series. My sister, who is not that much in fantasy, got me into this series. I also heard that there was a show based on the novels called "Legend of the Seeker", but haven't got the chance to watch it. I've been enjoying the series because it is a different pace to my normal reading material set in the Star Wars or Forgotten Realms universes.

Umiushi
07-04-2011, 12:53 AM
Land of Black Gold, by Herge. I think I'm going to reread all of my Tintin adventures before the movie comes out at the end of the year.

Umiushi
07-04-2011, 04:31 PM
This one's for Sascha. The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi-chan, The Untold Adventures of the SOS Brigade. Volume 2. "For now, pretend that Yuki is an alien."

Dark
07-06-2011, 06:21 AM
Harry Turtledove World War Series.