PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : 1 [2]

roninkelt
07-06-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm anxiously waiting for A Dance with Dragons to come out, but have been reading all the precursor novels again while I wait. A Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords and Feast for Crows have consumed the last month or so of reading time.

Sascha
07-06-2011, 08:52 PM
This one's for Sascha. The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi-chan, The Untold Adventures of the SOS Brigade. Volume 2. "For now, pretend that Yuki is an alien."
^_^

Umiushi
07-11-2011, 03:40 AM
I never thought I would like Asakura. However, now that Yuki's keeping her as the resident housekeeper/plaything, she is turning into one of my favorite characters. "No trace remains of her former glory," indeed. On to the new reading material...

Sunshine Sketch, Volume 5 by Aoki Ume. Previously her best-known work, Ms. Aoki has gained some measure of recent fame as the character designer for the groundbreaking series Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Sunshine Sketch is a very easygoing story of four (recently six) mostly art students who all happen to live in a small apartment complex across the street from where they attend classes. I always look forward to the next volume coming out, and reading a story at bedtime is a surefire way to guarantee me a peaceful night's rest. My favorite character is certainly Miyako, who reminds me of a certain old friend, but summarizing her personality probably wouldn't do her justice, as it's the subtleties in her character that I enjoy the most.

Sascha
07-11-2011, 10:42 AM
I never thought I would like Asakura. However, now that Yuki's keeping her as the resident housekeeper/plaything, she is turning into one of my favorite characters. "No trace remains of her former glory," indeed.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s36/gray_sascha/haruhi-chanachakura.jpg

Ann
07-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Just finished reading _The Man in the Yellow Boat_, which is a collection of WWII short stories by C.S. Forester. I'm currently re-reading Edward Gibbon's _The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire_. I'll probably sneak in a quick romance novel in-between each of the six books.

-- Ann

Sascha
07-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Heat Wave, the first Nikki Heat novel by Richard Castle (written during the first season of Castle, by the title character). High literature, not in the least, but it is pretty amusing so far ;) Helps to be a fan of the show, so I'm not sure how well it reads on its own merits.

Q-man
07-14-2011, 05:50 AM
I had no idea they actually wrote that book. You hear about it enough in the show, thats pretty awesome that they actually published it as well. I may need to put away the Iron Kingdoms Character Guide which I've been reading lately and pick up a copy of that.

Sascha
07-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Yeah, they've written one for each of the three seasons now. It's the Spinal Tap of authors :p

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-14-2011, 09:48 AM
A grimoire.

tesral
07-14-2011, 12:37 PM
My clerical spell list and writing on same in the process. Reworking the clerics a bit.

Umiushi
07-25-2011, 05:28 AM
The Strawberry Panic Novel Omnibus...is what I would say if the first two pages hadn't defeated me by inflicting massive damage. I've been told the second novel is an improvement over the first, but I need time to recover hit points, so I'm rereading The Hobbit. I reread that novel about once every decade, and like The Wind in the Willows, the tale seem more fantastical with each iteration, as the manners and customs of supposedly commonplace Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End become stranger and stranger to my eyes.

I'll probably put that one down soon, too, as I got the release date of the first movie off by a year.

Dark
07-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Reign of the Dead

Q-man
07-27-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm reading forum posts now.

cplmac
07-28-2011, 12:24 PM
This post, as I am typing it.:biggrin:

Q-man
07-28-2011, 01:06 PM
I think I'm caught up on forum posts. Which means I need something more to read.

After having read "Arabian Nights: Tales of 1001 Nights" the second time through, it occurs to me perhaps I should find some new stories in that theme. The trouble with that is I can't find any. Googling around and searching Amazon hasn't turned up anything, which probably means my web search skills need more work. Surely there has to be more fiction where people use efreet, djinns, and genies to cause problems for each other.

Cryotech
07-30-2011, 12:06 AM
This post lol, and since I got my smart arse answer out of the way, I'm reading infuriating political stuff that I shouldn't be reading because it's infuriating me :D

tesral
07-30-2011, 12:40 AM
That is why I avoid it. What I don't read keeps my blood pressure down.

Cryotech
07-30-2011, 03:06 AM
Lol, I hear ya there...*pumping blood pressure cuff and rubbing forehead*

Hoitash
07-31-2011, 11:33 AM
I blame my low grade cynical depression on my work as an editorialist that focuses on politics.

Currently I'm reading The German Way of War by Robert Citino (come back to EMU Doc) and I read A Fierce Discontent when I'm waiting for Team Fortress 2 to load. I'm also going to start The War that Came Early: The Big Switch soon. Oh and the Deathstalker series when I'm playing Total War games-in between turns.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-31-2011, 05:39 PM
Aliens: Steel Egg.

Umiushi
08-15-2011, 05:53 AM
I'm currently on chapter four of On Stranger Tides (1987), by Tim Powers. This is the book that formed part of the inspiration for the computer game Monkey Island, and the movie Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl--and to a lesser extent, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. So far, so good. Having read Powers before--The Anubis Gates and Expiration Date--I'm expecting a fun and exciting read.

Q-man
08-15-2011, 08:33 AM
I recently came across the H. P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast (http://hppodcraft.com/), so I'm reading through all of those stories and listening to the commentary.

hallsofvalllhalla
08-16-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm currently on chapter four of On Stranger Tides (1987), by Tim Powers. This is the book that formed part of the inspiration for the computer game Monkey Island, and the movie Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl--and to a lesser extent, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. So far, so good. Having read Powers before--The Anubis Gates and Expiration Date--I'm expecting a fun and exciting read.

So how are The Anubis Gates and Expiration Date? what is a good book to start with this author?

Umiushi
08-16-2011, 02:56 PM
So how are The Anubis Gates and Expiration Date? what is a good book to start with this author?
The Anubis Gates would be an excellent first book for Tim Powers. It was mine, and it sold me on him. It's also a standalone. Expiration Date was quite good, but it's the second book in a trilogy that I happened to read out of order.

Umiushi
09-16-2011, 06:40 AM
I'm on a bit of a manga kick, right now. I've finished The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi-chan, The Untold Adventures of the SOS Brigade, Volume 3 and K-On! Volume 3. Currently, I'm rereading the first volume of Aqua, the precursor to Aria, one of my favorite series. I recently read a categorization of Aqua as "utopian science fiction." That's fair, and how often do we actually come across something like that, these days? However, my description of it is "a fairy tale that happens to be set in the future instead of the past." In any case, along with Iain Banks' Culture and the brightest parts of the Belle Epoque in Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space series, the gentle, flowing world of Aqua and Aria ranks among the best in terms of fictional settings I would love to live in.

nijineko
09-19-2011, 12:17 AM
manga, lots of it. i've glanced at a over couple of thousand at this point. yes, really. i used a calculation tool to figure it out. basically i'm going through two different manga sites, and reading everything that catches my interest, skipping the ones that don't. of the ones i've actually read, call it a few hundred all the way through, a few hundred more however many chapters they've released up to date, and another few hundred more just the first few chapters and lost interest. the calculation is only from one of the manga sites, however. i didn't include the numbers from the other... probably add another hundred or so.

Umiushi
09-19-2011, 07:22 AM
I finally picked up Jhegaala again, part of the Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust, and finished it. I have a bad habit of sometimes setting aside books I'm enjoying "for a rainy day." The story reminded me a bit of both Athyra and Teckla, my two least-favorite novels in the series. Fortunately, it was better than either of them, and had a nice, satisfying ending.

I'm currently a third of the way through the next book, Iorich, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'll unabashedly admit that my favorite parts of the series are when Vlad gets together with his high-level, aristocratic friends, to annoy and be annoyed by them; and Iorich, so far, is replete with that sort of goodness.

The only real drawback to a Vlad Taltos novel is that the author is on par with Tolkien in liberally discussing the protagonist's meals. In fact, Tolkien tends to forget about what his characters are eating once he wades into the thick of the narrative, but Brust never lets up. Actually, I love this sort of thing, but after getting a few chapters deep, I start feeling like I want to add another meal to my day!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-19-2011, 07:25 AM
The Pirate King

Umiushi
09-20-2011, 05:20 AM
I took a break from Iorich to finished volume two of Toradora and volume one of Kannagi.

Dark
09-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Any good?

Umiushi
09-29-2011, 08:08 AM
They were all good in their own ways. I am already familiar with the stories told in Toradora and Kannagi, but it was fun to see the manga's take on each. Iorich, which I just finished a couple days ago, was great!

It's up there with my favorites from the series: Jhereg and Yendi. I already mentioned a fondness for the stories where Vlad involves himself with the nobility: Morrolan, Aliera, Sethra, that crowd. This one was really satisfying because he got to get them all mixed up in Jhereg business, too; it's good to see characters like Kragar and Kiera the Thief show up again. That's the sort of gratuitousness that keeps me happy with the series.

At the risk of a very small spoiler, I had a good laugh at a throwaway line involving Vlad landing "in a Tim Powers novel," since I'm still making my way through On Stranger Tides.

Now that I finished Iorich, I've finally caught up to Brust's latest novel in the series: Tiassa. With that title, I was reminded that the main characters of the Khaavren Romances are both Tiassas. I wasn't disappointed. There appears to be a great deal of intersection between the two series in this novel, and since the middle section is labeled "Whitecrest," it's a bit too out in the open to be a spoiler.

Thriondel Half-Elven
10-26-2011, 07:10 AM
I just started reading Brisingr again. In preparation for the fourth book that is out in a couple weeks.

Malruhn
10-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Spellwright, by Blake Charlton

It is a GREAT new magic system (not really playable in RPG's), and the characters are believable. I am 75% done and can't wait to finish it. VERY nice - and I'm REALLY jaded.

Umiushi
10-28-2011, 06:47 AM
I finished Tiassa a while back. It's probably my favorite since Issola, and definitely my favorite among his unorthodox novels in that series. In any case, it was very satisfying.

I finally tackled Dances with Dragons. All I hear are complaints, but I was quite happy with it. I suspect that some people are just upset because they were writing the series in their minds, and what they got was too different from what they were expecting. After four books of this sort of thing, I'd have thought they'd catch on. I was happy with Martin's decision to continue on with some of the threads from A Feast for Crows, too. I really didn't want to have to wait until the next book to wrap that up.

Now that Martin's out of the way, I'm reading the latest offering from an even less prolific author! Vernor Vinge finally came out with Children of the Sky, the third book in the Zones of Thought series, a good twelve years after the last one, and nineteen years after the book that this is a direct sequel to.

Vinge is dean of the school of authors that contend you can write good space opera without having to throw all the science out the window. I went into Children of the Sky looking for some riveting space opera, but so far it's been quite the planetary romance. It's been more like Alastair Reynold's Redemption Ark or David Brin's Brightness Reef than the other Zones of Thought novels. However, one glance at the map in the front of the book, and I'm pretty sure the space opera's coming.

Despite the planet-bound chapters I'm going through, the story is interesting as ever, and the applications of technology, an area where Vinge truly shines, are as eye-opening as they've always been in his books, whether they are successes or failures. Also, as a sequel to A Fire Upon the Deep, it's no spoiler that the book is set on Tines World. The Tines are among my favorite aliens, probably second only to the Spiders from A Deepness in the Sky. The book is full of Tines, and that's nothing to complain about.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
10-28-2011, 08:23 AM
In the Beginning: Age of the Zombies Series (Volume 1), by Dave Frizzell.

My plan is to begin it today. I have no idea what to expect, but I hope it doesnt disappoint.

bionec
11-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Hi.............
Currently i reading a book which is my favorite.Book name is Illuminates,This book is best for mind.
After 1 day i start my new book.:)

Christmas bingo (http://www.christmasbingomaker.com/)

Umiushi
11-04-2011, 06:00 AM
I finished Children of the Sky. It was good, very good, but I guess I shouldn't have paid attention to that map in the front of the book. Maybe it was same map as the one in Fire Upon the Deep? The book was very Vingean, no mistake there: it's got technology, it's got science, and it's even got Tines. Although it's the third book in his Zones of Thought series, it gave me more of the feel of his Bobble series. So, yes, it's a planetary romance, which means I'm now on the prowl for a good space opera.

tesral
11-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Hi.............
Currently i reading a book which is my favorite.Book name is Illuminates,This book is best for mind.
After 1 day i start my new book.:)]

I understood everyone of those words..but not in that order.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Ipsissimus, by E.A. Koetting, and 5 others: The Complete Chronicles of Conan, by Robert E. Howard; Brunner, The Bounty Hunter (Omnibus), by C.L. Werner; Alien: Steal Egg, by John Shirley; In The Beginning: Age of Zombies Series, by Dave Frizzell, and I'm still working on The Pirate King, by R.A. Salvatore.

Even though I have yet to finish any of the above listed books, they are all - so far - at least a 4-Star rating, Ipsissimus and Conan being 5-Star; though I will readily admit that I may harbor some bias towards Robert E. Howards Conan.

I need to get at least a few of the above books completed before this weekend due to the fact that I have more coming it from different sources. One book in particular that I am looking forward to beginning is a scifi novel entitled, Crusade (StarFire book 2), by David Weber & Steve White, though it's #1 chronologically in the series. Amazon and - I believe - *pbs rates this one a 4-Star. Lets hope so. I'm finding that my interests have moved more into the scifi realm, as of late.

*pbs = www.paperbackswap.com (http://www.paperbackswap.com)

*I totally recommend it, so join today. It's a great way to read books on a budget. If you do, be kind and give me the credit. My name on that site is: ufoundbrent. When you join, and some of you will, be sure to "friend me." BTW, it's also a great way to swap out your gaming material that you may have lost some interest in for gaming material in which you have more interest in. Did I mention membership to that site is free? It is!

**Thoth's question of the day: I was in a conversation with a scifi nut recenty (and I mean this in a complimentary way), and while in an engaged conversation I had stated that anyone really interested in fantasy must have read at least one Conan story by Robert E. Howard. His counter was similar regarding scifi novels except that his belief was that any true scifi novel fan must have read The Mote in God's Eye, by Larry Niven. A book I have not, as of yet, had the pleasure of reading.

**Okay, to the question: Do you all agree with any or all parts of this last paragraph? Which, and why? If you disagree with my recommendation of Conan and/or The Mote in God's Eye recommendation, please share which books you believe should be read in place of. I always love to hear/read others POV.

Q-man
11-09-2011, 12:22 PM
The Improbable Tales of Sherlock Holmes (http://books.google.com/books?id=wGXjSAAACAAJ). Its been a while since I've read any Sherlockian stuff, and somehow I never know of this collection.

tesral
11-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Not in the Canon I would think. However some non-canon Holmes stories are good.

Q-man
11-10-2011, 10:38 AM
No they definitely aren't in the canon, but still enjoyable reads.

Nixiizo
11-14-2011, 08:37 AM
I just reading The Miss New Mexico program book!

QT Games
11-14-2011, 05:54 PM
At the moment, I'm reading A Game of Thrones. :D Next up, I'll read a scifi book. Haven't sorted out which author/story yet though. Something far future, I imagine.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Okay, just finished The Complete Chronicles of Conan, by Robert E. Howard (5 Stars!), & Alien: Steal Egg, by John Shirley (3.5 Stars!).

Tonight, I am beginning two more books: Crusade (StarFire book 2), by David Weber & Steve White, & The Han Solo Adventures Omnibus (books 1-3), by Brian Daley.

tesral
11-15-2011, 03:24 AM
No they definitely aren't in the canon, but still enjoyable reads.

I Personally I recommend "The Holmes-Dracula File" by Saberhagen and "West-End Horror", author not remembered ( Nicholas Meyer, I got an internet thing.)

Q-man
11-15-2011, 08:58 AM
I Personally I recommend "The Holmes-Dracula File" by Saberhagen and "West-End Horror", author not remembered ( Nicholas Meyer, I got an internet thing.)

Oooh! Even more Sherlock stuff. Whats this Dracula Series? Guess I'll have to pick up the one before as well.

tesral
11-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Oooh! Even more Sherlock stuff. Whats this Dracula Series? Guess I'll have to pick up the one before as well.

Yes it is. "The Dracula Tapes" is a decent piece and explains his take on the old Vampire. The books are eposotic, you don't need to read all of them in order.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
11-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Okay, just finished In The Beginning: Age of Zombies Series (Solid 4 Star!), by Dave Frizzell, and I'm beginning a new book entitled, Fire: It Begins with the End, by William Esmont. It's another zombie book that comes highly recommended. We will see.

mrken
11-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Finished The Song of Ice and Fire series last night. Excellent book. Was very similar to my fantasy game. That was the most fiction I have read since I got married back in 88. My wife handed me Stephen Lawhead's Taliesin. It is a five or six part series called the Pendragon Cycle. Am about 20 pages into it and finding it very hard to continue reading. She says it gets better. I do hope so or I'm going back to non-fiction.

Jeffrywith1e
11-24-2011, 10:30 AM
I recently re-read Out of the Silent Planet. What an amazing series. Blew my mind again.

nijineko
11-26-2011, 11:53 AM
being that it is thanksgiving, i was reading the original thanksgiving story as told by the native americans, detailing why they held the thanksgiving ceremony that they shared with the pilgrims in the first place. hint: the thanksgiving ceremony predates the pilgrims by over a thousand years and more.

QT Games
11-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Just started reading Hyperion, by Dan Simmons.
Just finished reading Game of Thrones.

:D

Thriondel Half-Elven
12-04-2011, 09:14 PM
I just finished reading Inheritance by Christopher Paolini. It was amazing.
Now I'm about 200 pages into 11/22/63 by Stephen King. And it it SPECTACULAR!

mrken
12-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Not sure how I got 160 pages into Stephen Lawhead's first book of the Pendragon Cycle. Part of it has a good story, the other half is boring. The writing style is no Hemingway. Reads like a kids book.

Malruhn
12-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Spellwright, by Blake Charlton

It is a GREAT new magic system (not really playable in RPG's), and the characters are believable. I am 75% done and can't wait to finish it. VERY nice - and I'm REALLY jaded.
I finished the book a while ago, and was wrong - the magic system is merely flavor that is every easily playable in RPG's - and the book was GREAT!! After some post-read research, I found that Blake Charlton is a FIRST TIME WRITER (this was his first published work), which blew my socks off. I am looking about for his second installment, "Spellbound".

The first book reads like a fantasy adventure. Really, I can't recommend it highly enough. Good stuff, Maynard!! (/gush)

Umiushi
12-11-2011, 10:22 PM
I just finished Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds. It's the first book of his I've read that's not set in his Revelation Space setting. It delivered the space opera I was missing in Vinge's Children of the Sky. Overall, Reynolds' wide-reaching scope in this novel reminded me of some of Arthur C. Clarke's stories, such as his 2001 series or Rendezvous with Rama, but with more dynamic characterization.

Q-man
12-12-2011, 06:30 AM
Had to move away from Sherlock Holmes for a bit, couldn't find anymore of them in ebook format. My shelves are completely full and a pile has started forming in front of them, until I get rid of a few I have to stick with stuff that fits into the nook. So I've moved on to reading some old pulp Doc Savage tales, The Man of Bronze and the Land of Terror.

Sascha
12-13-2011, 11:38 AM
My Life as a Night Elf Priest: An Anthropological Account of World of Warcraft, by Bonnie Nardi. Required reading for school, specifically a course on anthropology research methods in virtual worlds. It's an ethnography of WoW players, as a distinct sub-culture, and really good. Academic, but fairly accessible. It was a good reference for my own work this semester.

The writing style is no Hemingway.
In some circles, this is considered favorable :P

nijineko
12-13-2011, 01:17 PM
i was reading the book of mormon this morning. i find it very interesting. guess i'm really into tales from the native americans.

Dark
12-28-2011, 01:34 PM
I loved it myself but each to their own taste some like stuff while others hate it.

Q-man
01-27-2012, 08:52 AM
The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane (http://books.google.com/books?id=BXiWzLY3OLsC)

Its an interesting collection of stories from an RPG perspective. The stories generally have a straightforward narrative of Kane overcoming all obstacles to bring justice, which is normally death, to his target. Its very similar to how a campaign usually plays out or at least the way my players handle them. The supernatural twist to many of the stories gave me interesting ideas to use against my players.

nijineko
01-28-2012, 03:42 PM
the hobbit, to my boys for part of their bedtime stories. first time for them, 50the or 60th or so for me?

Thriondel Half-Elven
01-30-2012, 04:26 AM
I just started reading Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan.
Probably going to be one of the best books I ever read and I'm only on chapter 5

Malruhn
01-30-2012, 02:12 PM
"Dragon's Ring" by Dave Freer.
It's out of the ordinary for me to read about a female lead character - but the intrigue and subterfuge are just amazing in this book. Also, the way I like to start new characters in my world is to have them originate from an out-of-the-way back-water - so they experience the full on, "OMG" with mouths agape when they hit the "big city" - and this book has it in SPADES!!

I have about 80 pages left, and it seems to be heading to a glorious ending. I haven't been able to figure out how it will end - which is a HUGE plus in my book.

BRAVO, Mr. Freer!!!

cplmac
01-31-2012, 10:26 AM
This thread.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Actually, would reading the "Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth" campaign module count, since I am currently working on getting this ready to run for a new tabletop group?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
01-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Module: Greyhawk Adventures: Greyhawk Ruins, by Blake Mobley & Tomothy B. Brown
Novel: Greyhawk Adventures: Saga the Old City (book 1), by Gary Gygax
Novel: Warhammer: Death and Dishonour, by multiple authors
Novel: Perry Rhodan: Enterprise Stardust (book 1), by K.H. Scheer & Ernsting

Malruhn
02-04-2012, 01:59 PM
"Dragon's Ring" by Dave Freer.
It's out of the ordinary for me to read about a female lead character - but the intrigue and subterfuge are just amazing in this book. Also, the way I like to start new characters in my world is to have them originate from an out-of-the-way back-water - so they experience the full on, "OMG" with mouths agape when they hit the "big city" - and this book has it in SPADES!!

I have about 80 pages left, and it seems to be heading to a glorious ending. I haven't been able to figure out how it will end - which is a HUGE plus in my book.

BRAVO, Mr. Freer!!!
Done. About 20 pages from the end, I figured it all out... and was VERY pleasantly surprised to be TOTALLY wrong!! Freer has done a great job on this book.

Next up, more research for my campaign world: "Merchants and Moneymen - The Commercial Revolution, 1000-1500" by Joseph and Frances Gies. Yeah, it sounds boring as hell, but it's to keep the air of reality in my campaign world.

Dark
02-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Dragon's Ring never heard of that one where did you buy it?

Malruhn
02-08-2012, 10:05 PM
I believe I picked it up on the 6"x6" section of fantasy books at Wal*Mart. There's not much for sci-fi/Fantasy here in Alabama...

One of the things that I really like about it is that it COULD be continued in a sequel - or it is just as good sitting as a stand-alone novel. I DESPISE books that just set up an unwritten sequel and leave you hanging - and this was NOT one of those. The characters were believable, their motivations clearly explained (once you were told, anyway), and there were some cool twists in how we view various races in D&D (sahuagin are the "cleaners" of the seas, collecting dead bodies, shaving their hair and weaving beautiful "soul nets" that help the drowned sailors' souls find peace - or else the seas would be overpopulated with ghosts and wandering spirits!!) An aspiring DM/GM can get a GREAT insight on how secret societies work and how REAL schemers work behind the scenes. I could VERY easily have seen this book play out around a table, surrounded by geeks with dice in their hands. Freer is a good story-teller.

Here's (http://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Ring-Dave-Freer/dp/1439134111/ref=sr_1_1_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328756549&sr=1-1) a linky to the book on Amazon for the low, low price of 1.93 for a used copy.

And in doing that search, I find that there _IS_ a sequel being released this April (Dog and Dragon). I will wait for the paperback and snatch it up as soon as it comes out.

Q-man
02-17-2012, 06:34 AM
Having never done much with cyberpunk, aside from a pair of Shadowrun games, I thought

Aside from a pair of Shadowrun games and watching Bladerunner I've never done spent much time in the cyberpunk setting. I thought I'd change that, and I'm reading Neuromancer (http://books.google.com/books?id=h0oAFNvncUUC).

I've done even less with steampunk, perhaps I'll dig up some stories in that genre next.

Thriondel Half-Elven
02-22-2012, 04:06 AM
I'm reading a couple different things right now.

Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
One of Don Pendleton's The Executioner books called Volatile Agent.
I also just got the Daniel X series and want to start reading that too. And I've been itching to read The Lord of the Rings again.

Shepard
03-26-2012, 08:01 AM
I am currently reading the last book about Harry Potter - being absolutely busy, I couldn't get to it earlier... I have to say, I quite like it so far.

susonjoy
08-17-2012, 03:54 AM
I am currently reading the book Dan Harrington, this book consists of how to play the poker game with step by step procedure. All the harrington books are very interesting and very easy to learn the game. Overall to say, this book is simple but very powerful.

lewischristo32
08-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Hey,
I am lewischristo. I like reading books. Reading books is best source of entertainment.My favorite writter is shakespear dramas. To read the shakespear dramas at@watch-six-feet-under-online dot com.

nijineko
08-26-2012, 07:04 PM
safehold series by david weber
a few other random books by same
cordelia's honor and cryoburn by louis mcmaster bujold i recommend the whole series in chronological order
artimus fowl series second half
encyclopedia brown to my boys
keys of the kingdom 4-6 by garth nix

been on a sci-fi fantasy bent lately... ie: managed to go to the local library and am catching up. ^^

billyja
08-29-2012, 06:11 PM
These days i am reading "2 states" it is about a story of boy and girl who belong to different region. Its a love story of them. It is written by Chetan Bhagat.

jsbill
09-03-2012, 10:18 AM
I just start reading 2 States a love story written by Chetan Bhagat.

micky011
09-06-2012, 05:23 AM
Harry Potter movie Series book

Oly leanse
09-15-2012, 03:07 AM
Hi Guys,Iím currently reading a craft book (http://communitycontent.net/content/best-stationery-purchased-throughout-internet/10137.html) for my cousin as in his school have craft exhibition of portrait making.So,I;m looking for tracing and embossed paper for such portrait in craft book. My friend suggested me one click stationery.co.uk,and said that all cheap stationery (http://www.oneclickstationery.co.uk/)related to craft you can find here at reasonable prices.

Malruhn
09-23-2012, 10:40 PM
I bought a crap book to just pass some time when I eat lunch at work... and fell in love with it.

In Legend Born (http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Born-Laura-Resnick/dp/0812555473/ref=la_B000AP8KXO_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1348456822&sr=1-9) by Laura Resnick. The backstory and character development are great, and I can't recommend it enough.

Next project: New Psionics Handbook for Pathfinder.

nijineko
09-30-2012, 11:45 PM
keith laumer's retief series

elizabeth moon's paksenarrion series

chris dolley's resonance

Malruhn
10-17-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm in the middle of "Marriage and Family in the Middle Ages" to help round out campaign background stuff. Very interesting - but VERY dry. It's another of the middle age-based books by Margaret Gies, and award-winning author of historical novels.

After this one - FANTASY, baby!!

briangriffin
02-14-2013, 05:49 AM
Apple Cart written by G. B. Shaw.

Malruhn
02-16-2013, 11:50 PM
I just finished the last book in the Eye of the World series by Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson). Book 14 (A Memory of Light) was almost all combat and moved so damned fast that I had to read it in chunks because it took my breath away. It was an excellent ending for an excellent series, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Now I'm in Knights of the Blazing Sun - a Warhammer 20K book. About 20% done and it still seems promising. We'll see.

nijineko
02-17-2013, 11:07 AM
just reread all seven books of the gandalara cycle for fun.

collinwills
02-19-2013, 04:21 AM
A Journey written by Tony Blair.

Jeffrywith1e
02-19-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm finishing up Peter Pan.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Mushashi, Art of War, The Prince and other writings by Niccolo, The Tomb of Horrors (Greyhawk Classics novel), LOTR, & The Mote in God's Eye. I can never read just one book at a time. Heck, if I could watch more than one movie at a time, that'd be great.

calico_jack73
02-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Just finished A Thousand Sons (http://www.blacklibrary.com/ebooks/A-Thousand-Sons-eBook.html) last night. Reading a book on Speed Reading now since it takes me so long to plow though a book. The authors write them faster than I read them. :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Just finished A Thousand Sons (http://www.blacklibrary.com/ebooks/A-Thousand-Sons-eBook.html) last night. Reading a book on Speed Reading now since it takes me so long to plow though a book. The authors write them faster than I read them. :)

I'd love to read faster. Interesting timing that you brought up a topic on speed reading, calico_jack73, for I have considered the same thing - I've even done a bit of research on it; unfortunately, and oddly, the reviews always seem to go from 1 Star to 5.. Be sure to let me/us know how the speed reading book works out for you.

calico_jack73
02-20-2013, 01:01 PM
I'd love to read faster. Interesting timing that you brought up a topic on speed reading, calico_jack73, for I have considered the same thing - I've even done a bit of research on it; unfortunately, and oddly, the reviews always seem to go from 1 Star to 5.. Be sure to let me/us know how the speed reading book works out for you.

I'm reading this one, http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Reading-Double-Triple-ebook/dp/B008J2MMWU/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1361383115&sr=1-2&keywords=speed+reading

I figure that at just $1 it won't hurt to give it a try. I know that something has to work because my grandfather too a speed reading class back in the day and was able to plow through Isaac Asimov's Nemesis in just one day. He reads the entire daily newspaper in about an hour or two. Hell, I'm happy just to get through the comics in an hour. :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Link and quick reply appreciated, calico_jack73.

I'd love to try out that book, but at this time, I don't own a Kindle. I will, however, save this link for future reference. Who knows, I may just break down and get a Kindle one day soon.

Again, once you've read this book and tried the techniques, let us know your what you think. Heck, if it even doubles your reading speed -- Kindle, here I come!

calico_jack73
02-21-2013, 08:12 AM
Link and quick reply appreciated, calico_jack73.

I'd love to try out that book, but at this time, I don't own a Kindle. I will, however, save this link for future reference. Who knows, I may just break down and get a Kindle one day soon.

Again, once you've read this book and tried the techniques, let us know your what you think. Heck, if it even doubles your reading speed -- Kindle, here I come!

It was a short book and it basically helped analyze causes of reading slowly and gave techniques to improve. Not an instant fix because it will take practice to improve. Luckily as a roleplayer I have a ton of material that I can practice on... prewritten adventures. :)

For me the two things that slow me down are 1) Subvocalization and 2) Wandering eyes. Subvocalization is a big thing for me... basically as my eyes move over the text I am reading "out loud" in my mind. This limits my reading speed to the speed that I speak. The key is to trust your brain to keep up with your eyes. Increase the speed that you are moving your eyes left to right... not to crazy levels but faster than you can speak to basically show yourself that you can still absorb the text. Over time you should be able to continue increasing your speed. The second thing is that every once in a while I'll back up and start a sentence over or go back a couple lines even if there was really no need to. The suggested fix for this is to use an index card to cover what you've already read so that you can't go back.
Between the two problems I think that subvocalization is my real problem.

BTW, you don't need a Kindle to read it. You can download a free reading app for your PC and read any Kindle books on it. Since you are writing this post I assume you have a computer of some kind. :P

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-21-2013, 04:35 PM
I believe my Windows 8 has just an app. BTW, how does purchasing a Kindle book work with Amazon? Does Amazon send you a download link, or does Amazon email a link to your registered email? Curious!

calico_jack73
02-27-2013, 01:27 PM
You can select which device it goes to. The nice thing is that it keeps all devices synced so if you read on your PC in the morning and that night read on your Kindle or iPad you are where you left off on your PC. If you buy an eBook from Black Library they send you a download link to get the actual file which you can either 1) transfer to your device via a USB cable or 2) email it to your kindle account address and then you can manage it just as if you had bought it on Amazon.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-27-2013, 02:17 PM
My problem with Black library is that they require you to allow 'their carefully chosen third parties (plural) cookies' just to go and view their web page. When I asked them about it, they lied and said it was required by their country to do so. Not! So, since then, I never go to their site anymore. Now, I do my Warhammer novel searches via Amazon, ebay, and other sites.

Here's there exact statement for anyone that wishes to see:

"To help us continually offer you the best experience on blacklibrary.com and help us manage the site, we and carefully selected third parties will store some information on your computer using cookies. Only by allowing us to store cookies on your computer can you browse the website and see the entire range of our great products."

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
02-27-2013, 02:23 PM
You can select which device it goes to. The nice thing is that it keeps all devices synced so if you read on your PC in the morning and that night read on your Kindle or iPad you are where you left off on your PC....

Nice!

calico_jack73
03-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Taking a break from my 40K books... now I am reading Rendezvous with Rama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendezvous_with_Rama) and am LOVING IT!!! Don't know how I went all these years without reading it.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
03-01-2013, 01:07 PM
I read Rendezvous with Rama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendezvous_with_Rama) for the first time only 6 months ago. It is a great book, no question. I just picked up The Mote in Gods Eye (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mote_in_God%27s_Eye), and plan to begin reading it later this month. I hear good things.

Taking a break from my 40K books... now I am reading Rendezvous with Rama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendezvous_with_Rama) and am LOVING IT!!! Don't know how I went all these years without reading it.

History
04-09-2013, 06:21 AM
Well I just finished "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Phillip Dick which I had been meaning to read for ages. Now I am reading "A Voyage to Arcturus" which was written in 1920 by David Lindsey and was apparently well received so I will give it a day in court.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2013, 09:15 AM
'GODMAN' by Kirpal Singh. Good stuff.

nijineko
04-09-2013, 12:32 PM
i've read another ≈30-50 books since the last time i posted... maybe more. i lost count. currently reading gene wolfe's knight and wizard series. another one of those that is very much in the vein of epic fantasy.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
04-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Once I finish reading my current book (see above), then I plan to begin reading Death's City, Death's Legacy, then The Chronicles of the Black Company, omnibus. Can't wait! They are en route to my home from Amazon as I write this.

nijineko
05-14-2013, 12:58 PM
read the author's cut of Enemy Mine, the version he will most likely force you to read on the spot at gunpoint should you ever tell him that you like the movie. filled in with some timothy zahn books. interspersed with some other random sci-fi, like the marduk nine book translated from the japanese. finished off a couple of excellent s.l. engdahl series.

DeviloftheRealms
06-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Tend toward SciFi and Fantasy (John Dalmas [who I personally know], Raymond Fiest, Wiess and Hickman, R.A. Salvatore, Anne Rice, Steve Perry, Author C. Clarke, etc. I do from time to time read outside the genre with books by Louis L'Amour for example. Am currently re-reading an non-fiction book about the discovery of the third version of the Ebola Virus (E.Reston) in Reston, VA, U.S.A. it's called Hot Zone by Richard Preston. Happy Reading!!

nijineko
06-07-2013, 11:22 AM
now i've been reading and watching random manga and anime. just an episode/book or four here and there until i run into something i don't like, or it fails to capture my attention by then.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-09-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm currently reading Death's City, by Sandy Mitchell. Good stuff.

Morashitar
06-14-2013, 03:27 PM
I am enjoying a novel written by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory called "The Phoenix Endangered". It is the second book to a trilogy.