PDA

View Full Version : FarCaster where is the Duchenne Smile in the new Smiley codes....

Jonathan Kwiat
03-25-2008, 05:16 AM
<sigh>

Why do we have all the smileys but the real one? A Duchenne smile, which can only be faked by supposedly 10% of the global population on this Earth is the on real smile recognized by leading researchers in the field of emotions.

Now this is OBV-iously (mock punctuation) NOT the place to be getting into a discussion of Neuroscience 101, which is itself only fit for college FreshMan and FreshWoman (or people that just want to be fresh) but....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/bv.fcgi?rid=neurosci.box.2032

Don't worry about slowing down their servers that is the US GOV there and as I live in that country I feel free to hand out their hyper-links.

To briefly quote...
"
In 1862, the French neurologist and physiologist G.-B. Duchenne de Boulogne published a remarkable treatise on facial expressions....

(stuff omitted)

Duchenne concluded that the emotion-driven contraction of these muscle groups surrounding the eyes, together with the zygomaticus major, communicates the genuine experience of happiness, joy and laughter. The smile characteristic of these emotional states has therefore been termed the “Duchenne smile” by subsequent investigators.

"
If you see the blue fonts in the above quote that is my emphasis and was not present in the initial page.

Italics and bold on 'Duchenne smile' is also mine.

And in subsequent investigations his basic findings have been found to be...

1) Transcultural (we smile like this all around the world) and;
2) Transgender (both men and women show a Duchenne smile) and;
3) Transgenerational (little tots, toddlers, five year olds, tweens, teenagers (lonely or otherwise), 20 something's, thirty somethings (that'd be me), 40 whatevers, and all the rest of the elderly....

(SMILE) (that last bit about the elderly was aimed at Tesral he is getting crabby)

Now Farcaster don't get me wrong...

(audio track voice over...'Don't get me Wrong...if I am acting all distracted... I see Neon Lights whenever you type posts...Don't get me Wrong...' -Very Cool Jazzy song heard in my local bagel place)

Don't get me wrong DUDE, but I am a guy we have been show in scientific studies mostly done by women to have inabilities to distinguish Duchenne smiles from all the fake ones men and women through at each other so...

to help with my dating quest, that's not an 'EverQuest', I'd like you to construct the REAL Smiley with the characteristic involuntary facial ticks of a TRUE smile so... a Duchenne smile.

well I need to know when the next one is REALLY smiling at me. I hate it when they give me those Vermont facial wry grins and I think the woman who is my age is smiling at me until later...

(sheesh) I don't even want to remember that so please just give me a decent smiley.

This :) ain't it Farcaster but that's OK, I forgive you.

People tell me I am big that way.

:cool:

Jonathan Kwiat

nijineko
03-25-2008, 05:26 AM
i think that we would need a larger icon to be able to properly represent the facial contractions and distortions that for a "true smile" as labled, and not just wind up making the smiliey look old. it is very hard to graphically or artistically represent smile wrinkles without aging the subject so represented. a challenge to the artists talent, to say the least.

Jonathan Kwiat
03-25-2008, 05:41 AM
i think that we would need a larger icon to be able to properly represent the facial contractions and distortions that for a "true smile" as labled, and not just wind up making the smiliey look old. it is very hard to graphically or artistically represent smile wrinkles without aging the subject so represented. a challenge to the artists talent, to say the least.

That is a mere... detail!

What are you now a sysadmin...!?

OH right...:confused:....

sorry, sorry, well FarCaster said in an interview that he has a big long list of things to do with this site to help us all out so...

I am voting that he puts it on his big long list.

Be Well,

Jonathan S. Kwiat

tesral
03-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Someone needs another hobby. This one isn't taking up enough time.
:clock:

nijineko
03-27-2008, 03:03 AM
nope, just an artist, speaking from an artists point of view. =D

tesral
03-31-2008, 07:50 AM
nope, just an artist, speaking from an artists point of view. =D

Okay, you draw it.

nijineko
04-01-2008, 06:07 AM
sure, i'd be happy to... in my professional capacity. ;) but who would feel strongly enough about this to fund the effort?

tesral
04-02-2008, 04:22 PM
sure, i'd be happy to... in my professional capacity. ;) but who would feel strongly enough about this to fund the effort?

It sounds like you do. So hire yourself for the job.

"The squeaky wheel gets the Job" -- Me.

nijineko
04-02-2008, 04:56 PM
heh. if i felt strongly enough about it to fund it, i wouldn't have posted all this stuff, i would have just done it. ^^