PDA

View Full Version : New Creature Help

InfoStorm
03-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Trying to write up a couple "island" adventure and need help finishing designing a creature.

CN Fey
Human in appearence
Lives solitary in small islands, which is also their entire domain that can exist and cannot leave. (like a dryad tied to her tree).
They are very lonely and gain sustinance from people they encounter.

Current abilities are:
Simple Illusion / at will (DC 11+Cha)
Sand Tomb / At will (this is just like hold person except it burries someone up to their neck in sand, but must wait 1d4 rounds between uses.DC 12+Cha)
Silence Entombed / at will (As silence spell, but only on entomed creatures DC 12+Cha)
Drain personality / 1/day (only against an entombed creature, drains 1d4 Cha at which time it gains 5hp, which last 24 hours)

Is that enough powers for a fey? I was going to have no melee capabilities, maybe some DR/cold iron. Does it need a more direct power, like "sandblast" for some non-lethal damage?

cplmac
03-17-2008, 07:15 PM
I am curious as to how a character that has been entombed in sand can either get free or be set free by others?

InfoStorm
03-18-2008, 11:30 AM
I am curious as to how a character that has been entombed in sand can either get free or be set free by others?

Honestly, I've been pondering that myself while designing this guy. I want the encounter to be more of a role-playing encounter than just a raw fight. The being was going to capture some NPC rowers whom the players are to rescue, if they realize what's going on.

Options are:
a. The original enbombment is above ground, and then slowly sinks into the group over several rounds. STR Check VS original DC each round to escape. After they are in the ground, then they must be dug free.
b. They are just in the ground, and must break free over time. (STR check of some sort)
c. The being must be defeated, either in combat, or outsmarted in some manner, and if so all entomed are released.

I'm working on a puzzle to go with option C, but am not yet finished.

Riftwalker
03-18-2008, 07:40 PM
Is this for a group of low level characters? About what CR are you thinking about?

Based on what you've said so far (fey, small island, lonely, CN) I'd play their personality as being really desperate for attention or entertainment, and then given that play off their fey nature by doing really wild and bizarre/enigmatic/emo things. Give her some power to shape sand at will (like 25 or 50 cubic feet per round (so one or two grid squares)) and you can have all kinds of fun, including sinking people, building sand-castles or other structures, zen-garden like toying around, small blasts of sand in their faces if she gets puffy towards the PCs, etc. When/if she ever presents something to the PCs, have it rise out of the sand.

And if she dies, the island sinks. :)

cplmac
03-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Honestly, I've been pondering that myself while designing this guy. I want the encounter to be more of a role-playing encounter than just a raw fight. The being was going to capture some NPC rowers whom the players are to rescue, if they realize what's going on.

Options are:
a. The original enbombment is above ground, and then slowly sinks into the group over several rounds. STR Check VS original DC each round to escape. After they are in the ground, then they must be dug free.
b. They are just in the ground, and must break free over time. (STR check of some sort)
c. The being must be defeated, either in combat, or outsmarted in some manner, and if so all entomed are released.

I'm working on a puzzle to go with option C, but am not yet finished.

Waiting to see what you come up with for the puzzle. Or what about the group being sent to obtain something in exchange of releasing the NPCs.

nijineko
03-23-2008, 08:07 AM
i happened to catch a piratical myth-busters episode covering common stuff seen in pirate movies... (no, plugging your silverware into your cannon does NOT yield workable shot... however a nice long spiked chain is N.A.S.T.Y.!)

they also covered being buried in sand. it was discovered that if it was dry sand that the person could wiggle the arms free in about 10-20 rounds worth of time. however being buried in wet sand made it absolutely impossible to escape with normal human strength. just thought this info might be somewhat handy.

i suggest that the ecology of the creature support multiple methods of being fed. three results: one, creatures escape somehow = no sustenance. two, the creatures agree to exchange a small amount of ability damage, or perhaps a permanent point or two in exchange for freedom = some sustenance, but not totally satisfactory. three, the creatures agree to a riddle game. this will result in satisfactory nourishment for the creature whether the party wins or loses. if they happen to lose they get temp ability damage in a larger amount than option two, which is the ideal situation for your creature, but even if not, it has received the equiv of a tasty meal.

so think of the temp or perm ability loss as bland but filling, and the riddle/challenge game as tastes great but less filling. ("can" the beer jokes ;D ) ideally for the creature it wants the riddle/challenge game so that it can win and get both nourishment, but will let someone go for agreeing to the ability drain.

in the case of a party or player win, then it can sacrifice a rare and valuable object that only that type of fey can generate or can only be found on an island, etc. i suggest that it be on a player by player basis rather than the whole party per se.... unless you want it to be group vs creature.

just some thoughts for suggestion. ^^

InfoStorm
04-02-2008, 02:20 PM
I will put the final version in the Articles/Blogs section once I get opinions.

Sand Hermit

Size/Type: Medium Fey
Hit Dice: 5d6-5 (19 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (+0 size, +1 Dex, +2 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+2
Attack: Spear +2 melee (1d8/x3) or Special Ability
Full Attack: Spear +2 melee (1d8/x3) or Special Ability
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, Consume personality
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/cold iron, low-light vision, Spell-like abilities, Special Weakness
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +5
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 12, Con 8, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 15
Skills: Spot +9(+11)*, Listen +9(+11)*, Diplomacy +12, Sense Motive +11, Craft (any) +9, Craft (any) +9, Perform (any) +10, Perform (any) +10, Move silently +1 (+6)**
Feats: SandStriding (b), Negotiator
Environment: Small Island or Deep Desert Oasis
Organization: Solitary (1)
Challenge Rating: ??
Treasure: + 50% Goods
Alignment: Always Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: By Class
Level Adjustment: N/A (never a PC character)

Sand Hermits take lonely spirits that take the form of humans. They are bound to a remote area, be it a desert island or tiny desert oasis similar to that of a dryad bound to a tree. Wherever the location, it is always heavily layered in sand and never more than a few hundred feet in size. They are always desperately lonely and crave the company of others, as this company gives them sustenance.
Sand Hermits speak Sylvan, Common, & 1 other language.

Combat
Sand Hermits are non-combative in nature, but have spears they hunt small game with or fish. They will use their spell-like abilities if possible, resorting to their spear as a last resort only.

Spell-Like Abilities
At Will: Simple Illusion (DC13), Sand Tomb (DC14), Silence Entombed (DC 14), Sand Travel

Sand Tomb: This spell-like ability is similar to Hold Person, except that it entombs a person up to their neck in sand. The target of the spell getís a Reflex save DC 14 (Cha based) to avoid getting entombed. Once entombed, it is very difficult to escape from the tomb; requiring a STR check or Escape Artist check DC22 (Cha based), with failure leaving the target fatigued, or exhausted if already fatigued. An exhausted person cannot attempt to escape until rested. A sand hermit can release an entombed person as a free action. A sand hermit can even move an entombed person, but this is a slow process outside of the scale of combat.

Silence Entombed: Similar to the silence spell, except it only affects a target that has been entombed.

Sand Travel: Within their sandy domain, a sand hermit can travel to any part of their domain as a move action, though they cannot take any other actions in the round they use Sand Travel. Treat as dimension door with a visual component of being surrounded in sand and sinking into the ground, only to appear in a bubble of sand moments later.

Consume personalities: A time consuming process, taking hours of the sand hermit time, spent conversing with its entombed guests. Once each day (normally dawn or sunset, DM choice), entombed people must make a Will save DC15 (Cha based) is lose 1d4 point of Charisma. For each person successfully drained, the Sand hermit permanently gains 1 HP. A sand hermit with maximum HP is temporarily freed from its domain, but looses all of its powers while not on its island. Should it even be reduced to 0 HP, it is instantly teleported back to its island where it is imprisoned again.

Social Weakness: While socially adept creatures, all san hermits suffer from a weakness to social challenges. Should the challenges be gambling, riddles, challenges at art or performing, a sand hermit cannot resist the challenge and any reasonable bets that come along with them. While naturally chaotic beings, they always keep when word in relations to these challenges and do not try to twist the meaning.

Skills
*They also have a +5 racial bonus on Move Silently checks in a Sandy setting. **Considered to have the Alertness while in its domain.

Writerís note: I donít remember the proper name of the feat from Sandstorm that allows movement through sand unhindered. I called it SandStriding above.

nijineko
04-02-2008, 03:07 PM
a sudden thought, if i didn't mention it before, might want to check out the sandshaper prestige in the sandstorm book, if you haven't already.

cplmac
04-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Nice job. I might need to borrow one of these in a future campaign.