PDA

View Full Version : War Machines

RealmsDM
03-15-2008, 09:54 AM
War machines & siege engines.... what does everyone this is the best source for RPG info on these?

There have been a bunch of books since 1e detailing these. The most recent would be the "Heroes of Battle" supplement for 3e. I'm gearing up to run a large scale battle involving dwarves & goblins & I'd like to make use of dwarven war machines & have the goblins use simple, yet wicked, battle wagons & such.

Anyone care to comment?

Maelstrom
03-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Sounds fun! Make sure to share any war stories this campaign creates! :)

There are a few listed in the DMG, pg 99-100 (Catapults, Ballistae, even rams and siege towers). The Ballista is just a Huge heavy crossbow, so I bet other weapons could get the same kind of treatment to make them bigger (A catapult launching Huge size alchemists fire anyone?).

There are some in the Arms & Equipment guide right? I know they have rules for vehicle movement and such, so I imagine they have siege equipment.
Edit: I did a search on rpgNow and found some interesting stuff: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=19221&it=1&filters=100_0_1100

This gives information about an underground army of dwarves in a cheap downloadable PDF using the D&D compatible OGL liscense. If you look at the bottom, of this summary you can see a bundle of a group of items called "Feast of crows," which is a system of abstracting large battles. The same publisher also offers a pdf with info about a goblin army. Very interesting.

cplmac
03-16-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm not totally positive, but do I seem to recall there being books about the different races ( i.e. The Complete Book of Elves)? If so, would there be one about dwarves and is the type of information you seek in these books? Just a random thought, since it has been a long while since I was last in one of the local book stores.

RealmsDM
03-18-2008, 09:21 PM
I totally forgot my old copy of the Complete book of dwarves (2e)

It has some nifty things in it... :cool:

I've even googled some snapshots of Warhammer minis that looked cool to me & plan to try to stat them out- I wanna use rules to help the actual combat run smoothly, but nothing too complicated that will take away from the fun... that's the trick now, ain't it??

cplmac
03-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Glad to see that the ole noggin isn't totally full of cobwebs yet.:thumb: