PDA

View Full Version : Morterth, 3.5 DnD Homebrew, Dark Low Magic Setting

Engineer Doramos
03-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Ok, it seems we have a game forming on alternating Sundays, though we haven't worked out a time. It's going to be about getting into character, and roleplaying to enjoy ourselves, with adventures that can be approached from multiple angles depending on the choices of the characters. I will reward players for using investigation and social skills, and allow them to steer their own destinies. This is not saying there will be no action. I am good at creating pretty exciting combats that aren't overkill, but still very challenging. But in this setting, monsters will be monsters! You will have to fight smart to win, not wade in and hack and slash. I would also add the theme of the world isn't for everyone, morality is looked at as shades of grey instead of black and white. There is an inquisition, mages and magic-casting priests are persecuted, and most of the population have no rights as they are serfs. So, its definitely a mature theme.

If we found one or two good roleplayers, we would be set to go with a small group.

The setting uses homebrew d20 rules. The only classes allowed from the PHB are Barbarian, Fighter, and Rogue. Magic has been replaced, so now the magical classes are Mage, Faithful, Trickster, and Holy Warrior. Magic is based on points, you learn a certain number of spells on level up, and can cast any spell on your list by spending its point value. You can meditate to regain some of these points, or sleep a full night to regain all of them. There are other ways as well, such as magical nodes of power or sacred places, or even bard songs or spells. There is no need for arcane spell failure from armor or material components because magic works differently in the setting. Magic is channeled by the mage or priest and shaped by a spirit, which the caster invokes with verbal or gestural components of the spell. Casters with a good bluff skill can further disguise the fact that they are casting a spell. This is handy in a world full of superstitious peasants!

Non casters get some equalizing feats they can choose as well such as Glimpse Beyond the Veil (prereq wis 13+), which means the character has been touched by the supernatural, and thus gets their will save as a high save for one non-spellcasting class, and Knighthood (prereq cha 13+) which is self explanatory, as well as Secret Society, and Born Fortunate which are both only selectable at level one.

If you're interested, send me a message!

vineyard
12-28-2008, 12:30 PM
i know your original post was some time ago but i just wanted to say that the campaign idea was quite interesting. i only wish i had come across the post sooner to get in on the campaign.

if by chance the campaign is still going and you might be looking for a player i would love to take part.

loganstarr
12-14-2012, 11:40 AM
If you still need a players please send me a message, i live In Evanston