PDA

View Full Version : AG16: ICC game thread. (In Character Context)



Pages : [1] 2

nijineko
03-08-2008, 12:12 AM
The town of Tradestop has been unsettled as of late. Every fortune-teller of repute has fled, babbling about a doom of the like unheard of in over a thousand years. Apparitions of magical beasts have been reported in the wilderness forests in the border hills, stalking those who would seek for food. The was a great and sustained shaking of the earth, shortly after which the river ran backwards for nearly a week.

Religious leaders have become tight-lipped, declining to discuss the matter. But, rumors of ill-favored dreams troubling the faithful and late night weeping among the clergy persist. Representatives of arcanists have expressed concern, citing a curious lack of results in any attempt to elicit useful information. The moons wane in the sky, soon to disappear from the sky entirely.

Yesterday, the wind died, and was still… holding its breath… waiting.



{Tradestop is located in the wooded hills where the Kron Hills meet the Gnarly Forest, along the major path that follows the Jewel River down into the Welkwood.}
{for the cartographically inclined that's hex B1-12.}

Toren Utgard
03-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Arivale was wandering the streets of Tradestop utterly wide awake and yet feeling half asleep...Regardless that he had come to this town under the pretense of strange magical occurences... and strange and magical things were right up his alley.... He sat down at the nearest tavern and ordered an ale hoping to hear some about any goings on magical or not.

nijineko
03-22-2008, 01:51 AM
The tavern is a blend of contrasts. In the still, dull, heavy air of the morning, the fire is hot, the smell of smoke and roasting geasy meat is nigh overwhelming. The light from outside is bleak, choked with the cloudy skies. It is fairly crowded with the morning press of various warehouse workers, traders, and artisans. The crowd is a broad mix of races and even has a sprinkling of people from regions farther than Veluna or Ket.

Despite the crowd, the tavern is hushed, conversation murmured, what laughter there is clashing loudly with the atmosphere. Too loud. The levity sounds... forced. Eyes dart to the enterance whenever someone enters.

Strangers find themselves surreptisiously eyed a bit longer, perhaps, than strictly necessary. Much of the talk is around ordinary things, the daily happenings of a small trade town. But, here and there, there are quiet mutterings of other things, less ordinary.



{ooc: listen checks for those in the tavern, please.}

Toren Utgard
03-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Arivale listens intently and disregards the stares thrown at him by the suspecious tavern members.


Listen check including all bonuses and ranks
Roll(1d20)+22:
17,+22
Total: 39

OOC: W00t for awesome listening skillz...Also how do you work the dice roller in the forums??? (used the official DnD website one this time...)

jkfoote
03-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Sitting in the corner, sipping on an ale just taking in the sounds and the sights of the tavern. Maleficent enjoys her time in taverns. Picking up secrets and knowledge of the going ons.


listen check

Micro420
03-23-2008, 02:00 AM
I'm at a table with other hardy drinkers, listening to stories and tell others while pounding a strong stout.

Listen Check

nijineko
03-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Snatches of words and phrases waft to you between the passing bodies of the staff and custom, and the gentle strumming of the bard by the hearth.

"...don't get some more sun, our crop will be fit only for the hogs.... Blasted clouds."
"Game has become so scarce, what with those unnatural...."
"...most uncanny thing i've ever seen, the river flowed upstream so fast, it snapped the towline right off my...."
"My father used to adventure with a priest from these parts, perhaps you've heard of..."
"Did you hear about Jesker? He's having a sale..."

Toren Utgard
03-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Interest peaked as Arivale heard the tidbit of conversation, he walks gracefully over to the men and asks for a seat and he buys a round of the best ale at the bar.

OOC: Gather info check?

nijineko
03-26-2008, 05:43 AM
From an smaller side table, a lone human, no... half-elf, stands and weaves his way towards the hearth. On the way, the slender man touches the elbow of a bar-maid, saying something. His green cloak flaps as he maneuvers quietly between patrons who obviously don't hear him, revealing a blade at his hip, and a bow on his shoulder. At the hearth, he smiles and speaks to the bard, and his priestly companion, turning quickly to grasp the frothing mugs that the bar-maid arrives with, and offers them to the men.

The wan light from outside dims and there is a sudden susurrus of rain upon the roof tiles, rapidly growing louder, causing many to glance up. A sharp scent fills the air, akin to the clean smell of air near a waterfall, but so sharply and strongly, it is momentarily overwhelming, unpleasantly so. The man in priestly garb, who had been leaning comfortably upon the mantle, jumps as if stabbed. His trencher dropping from rigid fingers, he cries out with a loud wordless cry of despair, and collapses flat upon his face.



{occ: Arivale, a reflex check please, to avoid the falling priest, and to avoid spilling any of the house-best.}

jkfoote
03-26-2008, 10:31 AM
At the yell and the fall, I quicken Flee the Scene right to the door, blocking any one from leaving.

OOC:
Flee the scene
you can use demension door as a spell-like ability, although the range is limited to short, (25ft + 5ft/2 lvls). When you use this ability, you leave behind a major image of yourself in your place that lasts 1 round. The image reacts appropriately to attacks as if you where concentrating on it.

- I didn't know if you had the description for it.

{nijineko: i can get it, but your thoughtfullness is wonderful, and most appreciated. and a lot faster than me slogging through books to get it. =D}

nijineko
03-29-2008, 02:28 AM
{Arivale? that reflex check? dreena, what are you doing?}

Micro420
03-30-2008, 11:41 AM
I drink from my ale at my table and laugh loudly as the scene unfolds, then I offer the fallen person a hand up, asking them if they are okay.

Toren Utgard
03-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Reflex check ]Toren Utgard rolls some dice

OOC: Sorry for the wait...I was on vacation and the hotel was supposed to have internet but the internet was incredibly laggy and going online was a major pain so i figured I'd wait.

nijineko
03-30-2008, 09:24 PM
The half-elf nimbly and smoothly sidesteps, nary a dollop of froth drips from the mugs he carrys. The bard cries, "Olaren! What happend?" and with a discordant twang, kneels down next to his friend.

A laughing dwarf with a worn axe, new-looking bow, and thick arms bare to the shoulder, slides out from his table, and offers a gloved hand to the fallen priest, asking if he is well.

{Maleficent, no one has noticed your sudden relocation. Everyone is looking at the drama unfolding at the hearth.}

jkfoote
03-31-2008, 10:31 AM
I am just making sure no one leaves.

nijineko
04-03-2008, 03:14 PM
The priest moves feebly on the ground. "Olaren, are you all right?" asks the bard, looking him over carefully.

"It's all gone... I can't feel..." issues weakly from Olaren's mouth as he turns his head to the side.

The bard grabs a shoulder and begins trying to help the priest up. "You, Sir Dwarf, help me get him up, he needs fresh air!" The bard looks around. "And you, friend, bring that ale with you, we're going to need it! Let's get him outside to the porch, at least-it's too crowded in here."

Toren Utgard
04-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Arivale follows the bard and the priest figuring that the priest might have some kind of arcane ailment that may be within his realm to understand.

Micro420
04-04-2008, 07:06 AM
I help move the priest

jkfoote
04-04-2008, 09:21 AM
ooc: is the porch out through a different door, or are they heading out my door?

nijineko
04-04-2008, 03:51 PM
The bard and the sturdy dwarf support the preist handily, despite his stumbling steps, trailed by the mug-toting half-elf. They are heading towards the front door.

{ooc: Maleficent, you are holding down the front door, which is the one out to the porch. and yes, the bard is steering them right towards you. they have not as yet noticed you, concentrating as they are on supporting the priest. you have maybe a few seconds before they notice/reach you.}

jkfoote
04-05-2008, 01:27 AM
When they come near, i walk out with them and i stand by the door and watch the people leaving carefully.

Kranchan
04-05-2008, 09:01 PM
I (Veld) arrive in town riding high atop my familiar companion Gil the Dire Bear. We were drawn here by rumors of the events that have transpired here in hopes of finding the mage who killed my family and the rest of the druids and animals of my grove so many years ago. We head to the nearest tavern in hopes of learning more.

nijineko
04-11-2008, 01:18 AM
There is a bit of bustle while the priest is settled on a bench adjacent to the door, and the bard takes the mug to press it into Olaren's hands. The porch keeps the light rain off of everyone. Despite the clouds overhead, the sky is oddly somewhat painful to look at. There is no wind. You notice a very big someone trudging through the rain down the road, coming this way from the edge of town. Then it strikes you... the street is otherwise empty.

Olaren says, "It's all gone. I can't feel it anymore." He appears to be recovering somewhat.

{ooc: sorry for the long wait. i was struggling with what, when, and how to describe current and (quickly) upcoming events. ^^ plus dragging my feet a bit hoping that the last character would get turned in. onward and forward! we'll fit them in whenever we can.}

Micro420
04-11-2008, 11:46 AM
I check out the lone figure on the road from where I stand and ask the preist what he means by "He can't feel it any more" and "that it's all gone."

nijineko
04-11-2008, 04:56 PM
You glance at the figure on the road as you ask your questions. The rain makes it difficult to make out details... perspective seems slightly warped.

"Ever since I took Contract with the Healer, I've been able to feel a connection of sorts. Everyone does," explains Olaren.

You are forced to reassess your initial impression of the figure down the street. He must be huge! And maybe wearing a fur coat. The rain still makes details obscure. But you can tell that they are moving more quickly than you first thought.

"But all of a sudden, it's gone. It's all gone... it's as if I had spent the day succoring and helping others with the magic I was granted and was completely empty and exhausted. But I haven't... it's just gone!"

Your eyes are dragged away from the priest as the figure, no, as they finally draw near enough to make out. A somewhat small human sits atop a somewhat large dire bear. The human is dressed in well-made tough-looking outdoor gear, and has a sheathed scimitar. The light rainfall has dampened them, and bounces off of them, making a halo or sorts.

The bard murmers, "Now that's something you don't see everyday."
The priest replies, "Or even every year."



@Veld: You ride down the last hill and enter the town proper. It seems oddly deserted. There are a few stores opening, the staff eying the sky nervously, but no one on the street. The rain gathers into puddles. Further down the street you see a small crowd of people on the porch of an establishment. As you get closer you see that it is a tavern, and the people are an eclectic mix of individuals.

You see a cheerful looking dwarf in sleeveless scale, with an axe handle and bow poking over either shoulder, a slender individual sipping at a mug, also with a bow, and obvious elven ancestry, a very (very) striking woman standing by the door, a human in priestly robes sitting next to a human bearing a musical instrument-both staring at you, or maybe Gil, you're not sure which. The arrangement suggests that they were paying attention to one of the two sitting on the bench (the priest or the bard), before you rode up.

Kranchan
04-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Gil and I head toward the crowd. When we arrive I dismount still standing in the rain and look at the priestly one ask "Can you cure a migraine? When that rain hit Gil and I it was as if we were in a torrential downpour. There was an ear splitting tone, a sharp unrainlike scent, and the rain had a blackness to it. The worst part is my connection to nature has gone silent except for my connection to Gil. I don't think I'm able to cast any of my natural spells. It's like the rain drained them from me. Gil felt that something was wrong with the rain too." I try to cast Create Water.

(OOC Natural as in the natural world and nature not I know them because of my race and blah blah blah.)

jkfoote
04-14-2008, 12:49 AM
I'm just standing to the side, watching and listing to what is going on.

Micro420
04-14-2008, 10:14 AM
I listen to all that is said, knowing nothing about magic, i really don't know what they are talking about. I follow the conversation to learn all that I can.

Toren Utgard
04-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Arivale sips the mug in his hand and eyes the newcomer with a few rare glances, he is paying a bit more attention to the beautiful woman and the downed priest, before stretching out his hand and stating his name. "Hello, I'm Arivale the Spellbow, who exactly might you be?" he is very nonchalant about the whole thing regardless of the bear the man is riding.

OOC Note: Spellbow= Arivale's name for the Arcane Archer Class...Plus I like Spellbow as a name more than Arcane Archer :cool:

nijineko
04-14-2008, 09:44 PM
The priest starts slightly and murmurs, "Yes, that is similar to how it felt for me... except, I wasn't in the rain...."

{see ooc thread posting, please.}

Kranchan
04-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Interesting. Anyhow my name is Veld *shakes the man's hand* and my companion here is Gil. We traveled here because of the rumors of strange unnatural beasts and unusual occurrences in the area in hopes of finding the mage we seek to exact our vengeance upon. Perhaps this feeling we had is somehow connected to the the sightings and events I've heard of.

*comes out of the rain and sits next to the priest*

What's the story with the rest of you?

jkfoote
04-15-2008, 11:58 AM
"Well first I don't know any of you well enough to give you my name, no offense intended."

"I too was dawn here by the unnatural, the more unnatural, the more interesting i have always found, and I'm always intrigued by the unnatural."



(I stay out of the rain, no need to get wet if I don't have to)

Toren Utgard
04-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Arivale stands on the edge of the porch with his hand getting only slightly wet from the water on the druids hand he notices the water not hitting his hand but simply regards it as happenstance. "I'm here simply for the curiosity I have. I heard rumors in other towns that something was up so here I am." He turns back to the priest and stares taking another sip of the drink in his hands. He offers his hand to the only woman in the crowd and says "What might bring such a beautiful lady to grace us with her presense?"

jkfoote
04-15-2008, 09:09 PM
unnatural things peak my curiosity.

(I leave my arms crossed)

Micro420
04-16-2008, 03:29 AM
"I am here to find an old friend of my father's that I have lost touch with," I tell the group," and the name's Dreena." I offer my hand to anyone who wants to shake it.

nijineko
04-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Some people start filtering out of the tavern by ones and twos. All stop to greet Olaren, and ask about his health. apparently he is a rather popular figure. They then nervously make their way off the edge of the porch, on the side away from the bear.

After a few moments some of the people cry out in surprise. Looking over at them, you realize that the rain is passing through them without impacting them in any way and splashing upon the ground.

Just then the bear snorts and shakes himself off, spraying water everywhere off of his fur. {10' radius splash attack ;D }

A bell begins pealing urgently in the distance....

Kranchan
04-18-2008, 02:25 AM
o.O I hope everyone else is seeing what I'm seeing. The rain is passing through all of the people but Gil and I got plenty wet on our way here.

Toren Utgard
04-18-2008, 10:28 AM
I ask the priest whether the bell should be ringing for a purpose or if an issue has arose somewhere...Meanwhile I use my helm of telepathy(can we just say the headband I have is the helm? I figure it's no big issue though) to read the priest thoughts...

Micro420
04-18-2008, 12:23 PM
i gingerly place my hand into the rain to see if it goes though it or if i get wet

nijineko
04-18-2008, 03:18 PM
@Dreena: The rain passes through your hand without getting it wet.

@Arivale: The priest replies that judging from the tone and pitch, it's the Justice Bell, calling for an immediate assembly. The bard chimes in that it doesn't sound quite right, someone must be pulling the rope like a madman. {1st round's results: yes, there are intelligent minds in the area. ;) {jokes about players, characters, and dungeonmasters, notwithstanding}}

Toren Utgard
04-18-2008, 03:35 PM
I continue to focus on using my telepathy on the priest while also deciding on a course of action...I look at the others for any sign of a plan of action...

Kranchan
04-18-2008, 11:29 PM
So maybe we should go assemble and find out what is going on. It might help explain why the rain is going through almost everyone.

jkfoote
04-19-2008, 12:37 AM
"I agree, the more information, the better we will understand this strange weather."

I tentatively step out into the weather.

nijineko
04-19-2008, 12:59 AM
The rain passes through Malecifent without mark.



Olaren says,"Yes, we should go." As each of you in turn step off the porch, the rain passes through you without mark, splashing off the ground. You feel a slight tingling sensation in the head, heart, and belly as the rain passes through, but not a drop wets your skin. Except for Olaren, and Veld and his bear, Gil. The water splashes off of them in a most normal fashion. And everyone's footgear is getting wet as usual from the puddled water on the road.

The bard begins singing in the rain, composing something about a most unlikely string of individuals going to ring a bell. He breaks off to spontaneously explain a bit about the history of the various bells in town and their functions.

{ooc: any particular questions or curiosities to inquire about during the walk down the road to the Tradestop's center square? }

Toren Utgard
04-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Arivale walks down the road slowly and leisurely toward the bell...sure the rain was going through him. He slowly reached out with his telepathy for any signs of thought that had plans for anything evil. His hand rests on the dagger in his sleeve. He remains alert for any threats.

Kranchan
04-20-2008, 01:29 AM
Come on Gil. Let's go to see why the bell is ringing. *walks w/the group to the bell w/Gil in tow*

Micro420
04-20-2008, 10:58 PM
i test the rain once more with a sorriful look on my face before setting off with the party toward the ringing bell

nijineko
04-22-2008, 03:11 PM
The uncanny rain might pass through all but Veld and his bear, but once it hits the ground, it certainly gets wet and muddy enough. The stone lined channel in the center of the otherwise hard packed road flows with runoff. In the near distance, the ringing bell abruptly cuts off in mid-note...

There is a moment of silence.

Suddenly a *SOUND* shatters the dreary day, and just over some buildings ahead, right in or near the town center, a corrusicating pillar of a blood-red color climbs into the heavens. It curls in upon itself, and forms a dome. There is another sound, a more earthly sound... that of many voices crying out in fear and surprise.

"Hurry everyone! We must hurry!" shouts the priest. With the bard, he accelerates into a run, splashing through the mud.

Kranchan
04-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Come on Gil! *follows the bard*

Toren Utgard
04-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Arivale is not too terribly suprised by anything but this peaks his interest and he walks a good bit faster, following the others at a slighly slower pace expecting an attack from any side. He was not going to be suprised so he reached out telepathically for the sense of how many beings where there.

Micro420
04-24-2008, 10:58 AM
I draw my dwarven battle axe and move more rapidly toward the town sqaure.

nijineko
04-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Everyone rushes down the remainder of the street into the cobbled town square. As you rush down the street, a large crowd of townspeople comes into view, filling most of the square. They are screaming and crying and as a mass, backing away from the blood-colored light. Town guards are valiently trying to bring control to the mob and are giving urgent directions for an orderly retreat.

Next in view is the edge of the crowd, where a guard, presumably a leader, is dividing her attention between shouting orders to the guards, and looking behind her towards the source of the glow. With her stand a few guards, weapons drawn, serving as a rear guard. They pace backwards as order slowly takes shape out of the chaos of the screaming mob, in step with their leader.

As you round the corner of the last building, the scene before you is imprinted into your minds. First, your eyes are drawn to the enormous dome of transparent glowing red. Its glow sheds an unhealthy light, and as you look at it, twisted and leering faces seem to form, reform, and break apart in or on it's surface. It surrounds a large building with a bell tower. A temple of some sort. The temple symbol in the opening arch is not clear through the distorting influence of the dome at this distance.

Then you notice standing in front of the arch a very large person, clad in jewel or crystal studded plate armor, a flowing black cloak with a broken silver chain depicted prominently on it, a green crown, and weilding an enormous sword. This person appears at least 15' tall and radiates a wholesome aura which sharply contrasts with the lurid ambience of the dome. The person is standing in a challenging attitude and appears to be about to make some sort of pronouncement. The light rain flows down the figure's cloak, and bounces off of the armor, forming a misty halo about the person.

Lastly, just visible on the inside of the dome, across from the very large figure, a humanoid stands there holding something in each hand.

{ooc: if everyone could hold off posting until Sarissa has had a chance to make her pronouncement... thanks!}

Midnight
04-26-2008, 06:28 PM
The tall figure speaks in a loud voice, directing her words towards the indistinct figure in the dome. "Release the honored priest and surrender yourself in the name of all that is good, or face my wrath! Your barrier will not stop me!" Despite the volume, you realize that the voice is that of a woman. She looks fully prepared to fight, her greatsword drawn and ready.

Micro420
04-27-2008, 08:39 AM
I yell to the female figure, "What honored priest?" I scan the crowd to try to figure out exactly who she is talking to. I prepare for battle, since it appears that a battle is about to start. I try to figure out who is casting the magical barrier.

Toren Utgard
04-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Arivale sends a telepathic message to the woman and asks what help he can give as well as what is going on...He also tells her who he is so she does not immediately panic at a prescence in her mind.

Midnight
04-27-2008, 05:56 PM
The huge woman says, "I am Sarissa, a Paladin of Freedom. The man inside the barrier seems to have captured a priest--you can't see him through the barrier. They're both wearing the same symbol." [OOC: I don't remember the exact symbol.]

"If you wish to deal with this man, I think I can get us through the barrier. Just get close to me."

As she turns to look at you, you are startled by her face: Pale white, with jet-black hair, and her eyes are pools of solid black. Despite this, she has a commanding, powerful presence.

jkfoote
04-28-2008, 12:21 AM
I fly up to her head so that i may better discuss things with her.

"Is the priest you are trying to get in the center and what does he look like?"

Kranchan
04-28-2008, 05:20 PM
I mount Gil and ride up to her so as to also be closer to face level.

Micro420
04-29-2008, 12:23 PM
I stand on my guard, waiting to see what happens next.

nijineko
04-29-2008, 08:30 PM
The figure on the other side of the dome reaches out to touch the dome with one of the sticks/maces/rods (?) in his hand. The dome around where the object is touching shivers and begins to vibrate visibly. A voice booms from the spot, "Foolish puppet! has your notions of freedom become so perverted as to believe that you can rob Justice of it's prey? There is nothing that you can do to stop Justice and I am the True Hand of Justice! I am here to see that PUNISHMENT is meeted out for the sins of this short-sighted fool!" The man turns and kicks something, no, someone laying on the ground behind him. A weak groan is faintly audibal.

jkfoote
04-30-2008, 02:01 AM
I yell for all to hear
"has anyone tried entering or hitting this dome?"

Midnight
04-30-2008, 10:47 AM
"I have not tried to hit it yet." To the figure: "What do you claim this person has done? I think we are all interested in justice--why do you have to kidnap this man and invoke this sorcery in order to get it?"

Kranchan
04-30-2008, 01:49 PM
"If you're so into this thing you call justice then why kick a man when he's down?" I say to the figure.

nijineko
04-30-2008, 03:37 PM
"Only part of the punishment due..." the man replies. Suddenly he looks back over his shoulder. In response to something behind him he shouts, "No, don't let the templars regroup! Keep them seperated. What? Fine! I'm coming." He turns back. He opens his mouth to speak, and then suddenly pauses, squinting. He chuckles, "Ah, Dreena, you made it after all. I think you would agree that your father would be pleased to see justice done after all these years."

He lifts the object from the inside surface of the dome. The dome ripples and momentarily is distortion free, before it clouds over again. In that moment you see a middle-aged human with deeply etched scowl lines in his face. He is heavily armored and holds two rods of some darkly colored substance. One has a hook at the top, the other has numerous blunt spikes protruding from it's surface.

Toren Utgard
04-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Arivale relays the message telepathically to all his allies "Sarrisa can probably teleport us in the dome, get closer for the spell. Any ideas on how to kill this guy? Oh, please just think an answer and don't say it or the "Mr.Justice" will have a heads up" He also mentions who he is in the message.

nijineko
04-30-2008, 07:41 PM
{ooc: since the helmet only allows communication with individuals in a 60' cone, you will have to be careful about aiming your area of effect to maintain the "3rd round" communication ability. just a note to be certain you are aware. =D }

Midnight
05-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Telepathically: "I must touch you to teleport you; get close." When everyone is in range, I dimension door into the courtyard with the others, making sure to block the entrance into the temple proper.

Micro420
05-01-2008, 06:50 PM
i step closer to the party so i can get teleported inside the dome. and while doing so, i yell out to my my fathers friend," Terrid, what have you done gone gotten into this time?"

nijineko
05-01-2008, 09:00 PM
There is the slight sense of dizziness that always accompanies a teleportative effect, which is abruptly and painfully interrupted by a red nimbus and the sensation of having fallen to the ground from a great height. You find yourselves standing nose-to-dome piled onto each other. Those piled into Veld notice that his clothing is a lot more rigid and sturdy than they appear. Gil roars in pain and swipes at the dome... to little visible effect.

Everyone takes damage! {1d6 points of damage, no save, i'm afraid.}

During this Terrid had started to turn away, but the sudden movement apparently was caught from the corner of his eye. He looks back over his shoulder and laughs, but you can hear no sound. He doesn't act as if he heard Dreena's question. Still visibally chuckling, he hurries away and out of sight. This close to the dome, you are able to see something very large and indistinct moving about in the courtyard, but you quickly lose sight of Terrid due to the distortion effect of the dome.

After a few moments the figure on the ground crawls towards you and presses up against the dome and says something.... {lip-reading, anyone? let's make it a sense motive check, unless there is a better suggestion.} But no sound is audibal. He is an older man, bearded and wounded. He seems to be a high-ranking priest. He abruptly is yanked away from the dome, but you cannot see what it is that is dragging him away. You do see what appears to be a really big sword, sheathed, floating in the air, jogging up and down slightly as it moves away.

Midnight
05-02-2008, 11:07 AM
1) Let me make sure I understand: The dimension door did NOT get us through the dome? Instead we ended up piled next to it and took damage?
2) In character, out loud: "Is one of you Dreena? Do you know this man?" [OOC: I know Dreena is the dwarf, but my character doesn't.]
3) Telepathically (assuming I am correct about 1) and we did not get through the dome): "Any suggestions for getting through this? I can try to disintegrate it."
4) [OOC: I am marking off 3 HP and 7 power points from my character.]

Kranchan
05-02-2008, 02:31 PM
I've got nothing. I reply telepathically.

Toren Utgard
05-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Sense motive check

I fire a Ray of Frost at the figure inside hoping to hit him and then use my ring to become invisible

ray of frost's to hit check
ray of frost's damage

nijineko
05-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Frost coats the outside of the dome in a small patch, but does not penetrate.

{yes, to your immense surprise, somehow your attempt to teleport through the dome was blocked.}

jkfoote
05-04-2008, 02:08 AM
looking at the druid

"Can you summon a creature to try to burrow underneath this dome?"

Kranchan
05-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Nope. All of my nature spells were drained by the rain.

Midnight
05-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Sarissa points her finger at the dome; a green ray blasts and strikes the dome. {OOC: She wild-surges for 4 and does a minimum-level Disintegrate, inflicting 22d6 (88) damage, or 5d6 (16) if the dome is allowed a save and makes it. She is not enervated. It costs only 7 power points due to the wild surge.}

Link to the relevant rolls:
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1586839/
{OOC: I suggest we sign up for Invisible Castle; that way Nijineko doesn't need to be online at the same time as us. Go to www.invisiblecastle.com (http://www.invisiblecastle.com) and sign up for a free account. It will store dice rolls, etc.}

nijineko
05-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Everyone backs away slightly. The ray has no visible effect. This is completely unexpected.

Midnight
05-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Telepathically: "We can't teleport into the dome and we can't disintegrate it. Any other suggestions? We may simply need to talk more to the man."

jkfoote
05-06-2008, 12:47 AM
I walk up and just touch it

nijineko
05-06-2008, 06:57 PM
@ jkfoote: It feels solid and hard. The surface seems to swirl under your fingers, and you get the momentary impression of twisted evil faces trying to bite at your fingers. There appear to be no other effects.

@ everyone: There are quick footsteps coming up behind you. Turning, you see a tall woman, in a city guard uniform, the same woman who was giving out orders earlier. She is whipcord thin but strong looking, and her human heritage softens her otherwise sharply elvish features. She is flanked by two of her guard. Behind her the crowd seems to be more under control, less chaotic, but is now seemingly interested in the spectacle that your group is presenting-resisting the efforts of the guards to vacate the square.

Toren Utgard
05-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Telepathically: "Here goes nothing"

"Hey! Justice get out here! What pathetic thing hides behind a shield! Have you no honor! Your mere prescence mocks the word justice! Come on fight me! One on One!"

I move away from the group and make a "come on" gesture.

Telepathically: "I hope this works!"

OOC: This could turn out REAL bad for Arivale...but hey he is a bit rash and a slightly cocky kinda guy :D worst case he can be ressurected later.

nijineko
05-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Some cheers are faintly heard from the crowd behind you at Arivale's challenge. The guard leader opens her mouth, and then shuts it, cocking her head and waiting to see if there is a response.

After a few long moments of silence she speaks, "Excuse me. I am Constable Reniatha. Handmaster Jeard has apparently been taken hostage. Can any of you get us inside so that we can arrest that man, ah..."

One of her men whispers, "Terrid."

"Yes, Terrid." She looks over all of you expectently.

Micro420
05-06-2008, 10:10 PM
i walk up to the dome and slowly reach out to it to see if it will allow me in. If i have anything of my fathers old magic items on me ill try to touch it to the dome if it doesn't allow me in on my first try.

if i can't go though the dome, i ask the telepath if he can channel to terrid for me, if he can and agrees too, i ask him to see if terrid will allow me in so i can figure out whats going on.

jkfoote
05-07-2008, 12:35 AM
"We have tried teleporting and bashing our way in, we have yet to try digging our way in underneath it. Therefor, as of now, No we can not."

Midnight
05-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Sarissa closes her eyes and attempts to disbelieve illusion (just in case). At the same time, she manifests Oak Body on herself, wild-surging as normal. Her rolls: Will save Wild surge check (01-20 is bad)

{ooc: Edited this post--forgot to add the follow-up}
To the guards: "Can you tell us more about Terrid? I am Sarissa, a paladin."

{ooc again: The barrier--how tall is it? Does it form a hemisphere, or does it look like we might just fly over it?}

nijineko
05-07-2008, 07:12 PM
@ Dreena: You attempt all the combinations that you can think of with your various items, but nothing seems to have any effect.

@ Sarissa: {occ: the barrier started as a pillar reaching up into the clouds, then it bent over inwards and formed a dome. presuming that the dome is continous all the way around, as no one has checked, this should preclude any entry. you have likewise not checked the below ground status, as mentioned by another party member.

ps: The dome successfully saves against your attempt to disbelieve in it. ;D }



@ everyone: Constable Reniatha listens carefully to the comments and question. She defers the question to one of her guards. He speaks, "Terrid is known these days for two things, he got kicked out of the Order of Justice a few months ago, and when he is in his cups, he complains about it to anyone and anything within hearing distance. We've had to drag him out of a tavern or two, he's a mean drunk."

The bard suddenly snaps his fingers. "I remember that! He was that guy that was going on about those ruins he found and teaching someone a lesson! And in the middle of a fine performance of 'The Maiden and the Fool', no less. I was quite put out about it. It took me forever to recapture the attention of that young... crowd after you dragged him out."

The priest pales. "May there be mercy found for his soul. It seems he has found a way to teach that someone a lesson. I fear it is Handmaster Jeard who is the target of Terrid's venom. How uncanny that he strikes on a day wherein the Powers cannot be reached and Contracts with the Powers have lost all effaciousness...."

There is a moment of complete silence after this comment. Even the rain seems to pause briefly before continuing.

Kranchan
05-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Hmm maybe if we try walking backwards through it we can get in...*tries it*

If that fails I'm going to check and see if the dome goes all the way around.

jkfoote
05-08-2008, 12:32 AM
"Wait, tell me more of these ruins, what has he claimed to have found?"

nijineko
05-08-2008, 03:26 PM
@ Maleficent: You subtly lean up against the dome, applying pressure. It feels quite solid. {ooc: do you let everyone know you are circling? someone else might to accompany you, in case of trouble.}

The bard answers, "Other than mentioning that he'd found them, he didn't say anything else about it. Somewhere out in the Deep, I imagine."

Kranchan
05-08-2008, 09:24 PM
I tell the group that I'm going to check around the dome and take Gil with me.

Midnight
05-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Sarissa says, "I'm going to test the top of the dome." She activates her crown, which fails on a natural 1: Use Psionic Device check Assuming it works, she flies up and around to see if there's anything interesting.

In the meantime, telepathically: "Let's find out more about Terrid and the Deep."

Micro420
05-08-2008, 11:19 PM
i go with the druid to try to circle the dome.


(ooc: once away from ear shot of the guards, i tell the druid that terrid was an adventuring friend of my father and that he had told me to be here at this time.)

Toren Utgard
05-09-2008, 07:24 PM
I stare blankly trying to discern what type of spell that this dome is made of

Spellcraft check to identify the spell

I continue to attempt to goad him out of his dome.

OOC: Bluff check to try and get him to leave the dome?

nijineko
05-10-2008, 05:10 PM
{ooc: just to recap: Maleficent takes Veld and Gil the bear (i'm assuming that the two will want to stay together) tagged along by Dreena-all of whom are circling the dome. Sarissa decides to fly to the top of the dome to investigate there. This leaves Arivale with the Constable, her two guards, the bard and the priest.}

nijineko
05-10-2008, 06:57 PM
@ Arivale: Your efforts to provoke Terrid seem to produce no result. Offhand, you would say that this most closely resembles a giant dome of force, but it has some properties that no wall or dome of force that you have ever heard of has. (specificially: can't teleport through it, not affected by disintigrate, very large size-enclosing an entire building, and the red color plus visual special effects.)

The Constable taps her foot a few times, and then eying the crowd, dispatches one of her men to help with the rest in keeping the crowd at bay.

The priest and the bard look at the crowd, then glance at each other.

Micro420
05-11-2008, 01:12 PM
dreena tells the group he is with everything he knows about terrid and of his adventures with his father.

(ooc: dreena trys to remember exactly what terrid's message had said about meeting him at the square and if there is any useful information contained within it that might be hiding in it.)

nijineko
05-11-2008, 09:08 PM
@ Dreena, Veld, and Maleficent: You circle the dome, and find that it not only crosses some of the alleys, but cuts into the surrounding buildings a bit. You'll have to circle the neighboring buildings a bit to find out how continuous the dome is.

@ Sarissa: You rise swiftly to a point where you can see the top of the dome. Drifting towards the center a bit, and looking down, you are able to see the entire dome. It seems seemless and other than already described, featureless. You notice that it cuts into the neighboring buildings a bit, as it is a nearly a perfect circle. You see Dreena, Veld and Gil, and Maleficent checking the base. Dreena is gesturing animatedly.

@ Dreena: When you and Terrid were talking, he mentioned that he was really busy, but he would be at the Justice Temple on the morrow (today), around this time. You commented that you would see him there, and he mumbled something that sounded like, 'Everyone will see...' before apologizing for his distractedness and cheerfully seeing you off.

Micro420
05-11-2008, 11:38 PM
can we enter any of the building the the dome cuts though, if so can we enter one of them and see if the dome goes though them, and if it doesnt, can we enter the dome though one of them.

Midnight
05-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Telepathic: "We have all noticed strange faces seeming to appear and disappear within the dome. Does anyone have an idea what sort of faces these are?"
{ooc: Any relevant knowledge skills? Sarissa has Knowledge: The Planes and Knowledge: Psionics, both at +10.}

Again telepathic: "If no one has a better idea, I can try disintegrating the ground to see if it extends underground. We might also need to talk to Terrid and find out what he wants. I can do so if you like."

{ooc: Sarissa has good Diplomacy if we want to try that.}

nijineko
05-12-2008, 10:21 PM
{Gil the bear would not be welcome (or fit into most of the doorways of) the buildings surrounding. However, it is otherwise not a problem as most people are frightened and disturbed at the goings-on, and welcome anything that resembles "someone doing something". The dome is in fact continuous as far around as you care to check. }

Micro420
05-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Question: Does this town how a sewer system other then the side of the street?

I run up to one of these houses that the dome closes down upon and knock on the door. If I receive no answer after about 5 minutes, I attempt to break the door down.

Kranchan
05-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Umm since all of the things I was going to say/do ie ask Dreena about the adventures of his father and Terrid and addressing entering buildings to check the wall have been done Gil and I will continue on with Dreena and Maleficent. While checking the dome I mention that I sure wish I was able to cast Mordenkainen’s Disjunction which usually messes up any kind of magical effect and that on rare occasion can even destroy powerful magical artifacts or so I've heard.

Toren Utgard
05-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Arivale stands. He moves very little. He can see no path into the dome and will wait for an oppertunity to enter the dome via a momentary let down.

Midnight
05-14-2008, 05:20 PM
After her flight, Sarissa lands and talks to Terrid. "Terrid! I understand you have a grievance against this man. What is your grievance? Why have you captured him? And what was it that you found in the ruins?" She's doing Diplomacy for all she's worth: Diplomacy check.


Telepathically: "Any other ideas?"


At the same time, she looks again at the dome, carefully. Is there anything of relevance that we've missed? Anything about the faces--are they recognizable?

nijineko
05-15-2008, 07:46 PM
{ooc: seems that i have not been clear enough with some things. sorry about that. i will here attempt to clarify. =D }

The dome is continuous as far as you (the party) care to check it. The inhabitants of all the buildings are glad that "someone is doing something" about these disturbing events and will gladly let you check out the dome as far around as you wish. Gil is rather large and will not fit into some of these establishments, not to mention being somewhat frightening, etc.

While checking the dome, Dreena mentioned about how Terrid is his father's old adventuring companion. He also spoke of the details of the conversation that he had at Terrid's house yesterday.

You are now finished checking the perimeter of the dome. Nothing new or different was discovered. There do not appear to be any gratings or other indications of a below-ground storm sewer system. Asking any of the locals will confirm this lack. However, one of the neighboring buildings has some cellar rooms. The dome does pierce the edge of one of the rooms below ground.

Terrid walked away from the edge of the dome some time ago. He has not been visible for a while now. That was just before the older man got dragged off by something not visible, except for a very large sheathed sword. There has been no response from him since. Perhaps the rod(s) he was holding allowed him to communicate through the dome. Those who are trying to communicate with him thus look as if they are shouting at the unresponsive dome to anyone else who is looking.

The dome resembles exactly a dome of force in all ways, but with the noted additional abilities and/or properties. The faces that seem to form in the reddish glow/haze are all of a very evil bent and persuasion. A close examination reveals that the faces are actually reflections of your own faces, but twisted and corrupted into evil caricatures.

{are there any other points or questions that i have not covered here? if so, by all means let me know. }

After waiting for a while, the Constable says, "I am needed. If you come up with anything which can help me, let me know." She walks back to the crowd with her remaining guard and they join the guards in holding the crowds back.

jkfoote
05-16-2008, 12:17 AM
"For having such a big problem she doesn't seem to willing to help"

Micro420
05-16-2008, 08:37 AM
does the rain go though the houses? If not, can the magic-users cast spells while indoors? If it is possible, I discuss this option with the party I am with.

Kranchan
05-16-2008, 03:23 PM
It's not that I can't cast my spells (well as far as I know) it's as if I had used them all today but only my nature spells (Druid) not my arcane ones (Wizard) but I don't have any arcane ones that could help. Then again my nature ones that I usually use wouldn't be of much help either.

nijineko
05-17-2008, 05:57 PM
The rain does not go through the houses. So far, those whom the rain does not go through are Veld and Gil, the priest, and Sarissa. Generally speaking, the rain behaves perfectly normally, except when interacting with the townsfolk and the people mentioned above, insofar as you have currently observed.

Kranchan
05-18-2008, 10:53 PM
I say to the group I'm with....Well it doesn't seem like we can get through this barrier or dispel it maybe there's something more to the rain or maybe there's something special about Gil and I. If not that then we must be overlooking something.

jkfoote
05-19-2008, 01:35 AM
"Why don't you or gil try to push on the wall?"

Micro420
05-19-2008, 10:16 AM
i hit the dome with my dwarven battle axe for a lack of any other plan.

jkfoote
05-19-2008, 03:08 PM
is the rain going through or hitting the Dome?

Midnight
05-20-2008, 03:10 PM
I don't know what to do next. One thought: Perhaps simply getting out of the rain will help? We can get under cover, dry off and see if our divine abilities return.

One more thing: Sarissa detects evil in the area--I assume the dome is evil?

Micro420
05-20-2008, 11:24 PM
i suggest to the party that we go to terrid's house to look for more clues.

[I hope that his house is located outside of the dome]

Kranchan
05-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Gil and I attempt to push the dome. Gil's push or drag is 24,000lb (+11) and mine is a whopping 500 (+0).

If that does nothing I agree with Dreena and decide to go check out Terrid's house.


[OOC I'm not sure how combining two people's strength works so I hope I'm doing it right. Also I once had a character who's push/drag was 1,000,000 pounds. It was pretty funny.]

Midnight
05-21-2008, 02:37 PM
I agree we should check out Terrid's house, and we should ask r.e. the ruins. I'm not clear: Does anyone know what/where they are?

To the DM: Any relevant Knowledge checks you'd like us to make? And is the dome evil?

I think we should also check out these ruins ASAP.

nijineko
05-21-2008, 02:58 PM
{ooc: what the.... odd, very odd... i posted last night, but it didn't make it somehow. anyway here it is:}

@ Dreena: Attacking it with the axe seems ineffective, and jars your arms badly.

@ Veld and Gil: The dome proves immobile to the combined forces you are able to bring to bear upon it. {ooc: this would count as an aid another check, in most cases.}

@ Sarissa: You reach out your senses and are overwhelmed by a sense of darkness and chaos. A smell of blood and rot momentarily fills your nostrils. You are stunned for a few seconds and your detection sense shuts down in self-preservation. The dome is definitely overwhelmingly evil.

@ Everyone: The rain is not going through the dome. The dome just barely encloses the temple structure. Terrid lives in another quarter entirely. Reaching his house will not be a problem at all. {ooc: are you going to tell the Constable of your plans?}

jkfoote
05-22-2008, 12:42 AM
Is the constable even there any more, if she is, I'll let her know what we plan to do, if not, well tell her if we find anything

nijineko
05-22-2008, 07:51 PM
She is still with the rest of the guard trying to keep the townsfolk on the other side of the square, away from the dome, and possible harm. Upon being informed of the party's intentions, she thanks you and indicates that she cannot spare any of her forces from protecting the people. She pauses to hear one of her guards, then rushes off to deal with some pickpockets working the crowd. As she heads off, she calls over her shoulder, "Should you find anything which we can act upon, please let me know!"

jkfoote
05-23-2008, 12:46 AM
"Shall we go exploring then?"

Kranchan
05-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Yup. It's basically our only option anyway.

(OOC: Hit the dome with the orbital Ion Cannon!!)

Micro420
05-23-2008, 02:19 PM
i agree to take to party to his house as long as they agree not to seriously harm my father's friend.

nijineko
05-23-2008, 05:28 PM
{ooc: assuming that no one disagrees with Dreena's request, then we will move on.}

Kranchan
05-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi ho hi ho it's off to Terrid's house we go!

[ooc did everyone die over the weekend? XD]

jkfoote
05-27-2008, 10:05 PM
{ooc sorry i was waiting to get to the house}

Midnight
05-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Work's been insane for me lately. Anyway: Sarissa definitely agrees that we can go to the house, and that we can agree not to hurt Terrid unless absolutely necessary. She still wants to find out about the ruins too--do we know where they are/what he was doing there? Let's go.

nijineko
05-28-2008, 06:41 PM
{ooc: sorry for the delay, this month Mon and Tue are my days off, and i can seldom get internet access during those days. i'll post something tonight for certain. =D }

nijineko
05-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Dreena leads you to a residential quarter that is a fair distance away. A worn, but reasonably well-kept two story structure, crowded in with others like it, line this street. A small sign proclaims that tennating is not available at this time, all the rooms are full. There is a door with a large knocker on it, and a smaller door near the corner of the house. The second story overhangs the first by several feet, providing a small area of cover from the rain. There is a slight smell of smoke, noticable despite the rain.

Toren Utgard
05-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Arivale follows the group and says nothing...he is mulling over the dome and what to do about it.

OOC: This dome does have a weakness/way in right :P

Midnight
05-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Here's what I suggest: 1) Try to get into the place, talking with the owner, bribing if necessary. 2) Look at his room.

Sarissa can help with 1); if talking is necessary, she'll say something to the effect that A) there's something mysterious happening at the temple (and give a brief description of the dome if necessary) and B) Terrid may be involved. Can the owner tell us anything about Terrid and let us look at his room? (Diplomacy check: )

She's useless with searching, unfortunately. :( Does anyone else have search skill?

nijineko
05-29-2008, 08:31 PM
{ooc: whom are you using that diplomacy check on exactly? other than the party, there is no one in the street.}

(by way of note...) The small sign is next to the large, more centrally placed door. You notice that the sign is hanging on top of another sign, the bottom of which is visible, with some very small script peeking out from under the sign on top.

Kranchan
05-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Oops hit post twice.

Kranchan
05-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Gil and I will just wait outside. I don't want anyone messing with him when I'm not around. Not that he would start anything. Isn't that right Gil? *rubs Gil's head*

Micro420
05-30-2008, 07:04 PM
I read the small script under the larger sign.


(occ: hey guys, im moving to richmond, va this week and it might be a bit till i can log back in again. in my absence, I give the DM permission to use my character.)

nijineko
05-31-2008, 05:23 PM
The small sign reads, 'Knock, Friend and Enter.'

Gil rumbles in fond agreement.

jkfoote
05-31-2008, 08:16 PM
I lightly knock on the door

Midnight
05-31-2008, 10:14 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear. My plan of action was: Talk to the owner of this place (if Terrid rents), and convince him to give us information; if we found him, I rolled a Diplomacy check in advance, to save a post or two. I wasn't clear about that.

Midnight

Toren Utgard
06-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Arivale waits for the owner of the house to speak, however he does reach out with his telepathy attempting to disern how many people, if any, are inside.

Midnight
06-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Things are moving somewhat slowly, so I'm going to suggest an overall plan of action so that we don't have to spend a long time posting back and forth. Briefly: Get access to Terrid's house and search it by any means within reason. We can try Diplomacy on whoever's there; Sarissa is willing to force the door if necessary (she's _chaotic_ good :) ); she can Dimension Door us inside if necessary. Any other suggestions? Hopefully we can figure out what's going on in this place, if anything.

jkfoote
06-04-2008, 01:41 AM
If there is no answer at the door after three attempts to knock, I'll let them dimension door, and then ill D-Door in myself, further to the back

Kranchan
06-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Veld chuckles and says I think if it comes to breaking down doors Gil will be able to handle it.

nijineko
06-05-2008, 07:02 PM
{sorry about the delay. i couldn't get internet access mon-wed this week.}

There is a long pause after the knocking. Finally after the second knock, and just before you are about to knock again, a timid male voice somewhat shakily replies, "Who is it?"

(There is only the one presence on the first floor within range of the helm. It is a weak presence. )

jkfoote
06-06-2008, 01:05 AM
"We are here trying to figure out what is plauging your town. We are seeking information about the ruins Terrid explored"

Midnight
06-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Something I'd forgotten to mention: Shortly before we got to the house, she shrunk to a normal size. She is now a tallish (5'8") humanlike woman with the aforementioned odd appearance (paper-white skin, black eyes).

She adds, "I am Sarissa, a paladin, and as my comrade said, we need information on Terrid. Can you please help us?" Remember the Diplomacy check.

nijineko
06-06-2008, 04:03 PM
The door cracks open, and a small mousey fellow peers out nervously. He looks somewhat alarmed at what he can see of your appearances until his eyes fall upon Dreena. He blurts, "Oh, you. I remember seeing you visit yesterday. Are they with you? And what's this about Terrid? Have you seen him? He was supposed to pay his rent today."

The smell of smoke or ash grows slightly stronger with the opening of the door.

jkfoote
06-07-2008, 02:00 AM
like as the buildings on fire kind of smoky

Kranchan
06-07-2008, 01:04 PM
OOC: No I would imagine since this is the middle ages he has a fireplace and the house smells of smoke from years of using it. :P

nijineko
06-07-2008, 02:39 PM
The man glances up at the sky, and then starts visibly. "That cursed rain!" he mutters vehemently. "Ah, look you, why not come in out of that gods-be-cursed unnatural rain. He steps aside, holding the door open, and looking away from outside-away from the rain.

{ooc: i'm assuming (due to prior comments) that Veld and Gil will stay outside, Gil due to size-he really won't fit, not without breaking a bigger hole in the wall, and Veld to prevent anyone from freaking out over Gil, or messing with him. }

Those who step inside see the following:

You have entered into a common area taking up a rectangular portion of front of the house, wide, but not deep. You are standing in a lowered entryway. On the single wide step up, there are various footgear. The man sits down on the raised floor, raises his feet to the single step and slips out of his shoes, then stands up on the raised floor. He wrings his hands somewhat nervously.

There is a hallway leading back into the house. Four doors are visible off of it. The smell of smoke or ash is suddenly much more prominent. The nearest left-hand in the hallway shows signs of fire damage, as does the ceiling above the door.

"So, ah, my name is Garth." He glances around, trying not to stare at any one of you directly. "You want to know about Terrid? I'll tell you one thing for sure! He's gonna be the one to pay for the damages to his room, not us. We put out the fire, so it's his responsibility!"

Midnight
06-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Sarissa says, placatingly, "Of course we'll be glad to ensure that payment will be made for the fire damage. But please--tell us what happened, from the beginning. What do you know of Terrid? Where did the fire come from, so far as you know--did Terrid start it, and if so, how? What was he saying and doing before the fire started? And has he talked about visiting ruins?"

(Diplomacy: 36, as previously mentioned)

nijineko
06-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Overwhelmed by Sarissa's smooth and sophisticated ways, Garth is only too happy to tell you everything he knows, liberally mixed in with his own commentary and viewpoints.... Filtering out the unrelated, here is what he knows that pertains to Terrid:

Terrid was usually quiet, always seemed depressed. Unless you got him started about church or religion, then he was either brooding or obnoxious. He'd go on and on about getting revenge, but nobody took him real serious, he was all talk. About three or four months ago he got this really (Garth's limited vocabulary fails him here, resulting in a lot of impressed repetition, perhaps because he is reluctant to use certain language in front of a woman, not to mention a paladin....) really hot girlfriend and then he disappeared for about two weeks. He has been acting kinda weird ever since. His room caught fire yesterday, after Terrid had left. Fortunately the rest of the roommates were home and they put it out, saving the house. His room was pretty much destroyed though.

Garth eagerly offers to show you the room, it's the first door on the right, the one that shows smoke and fire damage. He opens the door and waves everyone over to take a look. The smell of ash gets quite strong, Garth coughs a bit.

{Assuming that most will go take a look, seems logical: }

The room is a blackened, charred mess. The remains of a bed, desk, chair and wardrobe are still here, intact, but damaged beyond use. There is still a bucket of water off to one side of the door. Garth says, "We put out the fire, but we haven't messed with anything. We thought he'd be back by now to get whatever's left."

nijineko
06-12-2008, 11:28 PM
{double post, somehow.}

jkfoote
06-13-2008, 12:20 AM
"What about this Girl he was seeing, can you tell me about her?"

nijineko
06-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Garth replies, "Yeah, Terrid was all jealous about her, we only saw her once, then he wouldn't bring her around when the rest of us guys were here. She was really, really," He glances at Sarissa, and then over at Maleficent, "ah... pretty." When he thinks the girls aren't looking, he waves his hands in a very generous hourglass shape, winking at the rest of the guys in the group.

jkfoote
06-13-2008, 10:15 PM
(Ooc: lets not forget that i am a very attractive women myself)

nijineko
06-15-2008, 04:33 PM
{dm is a space case: thank you, i don't know where my head was... edited above.}

jkfoote
06-15-2008, 10:47 PM
{no worries}

Midnight
06-15-2008, 11:15 PM
{ooc: Although Sarissa has a very high Cha, she is striking rather than beautiful, and very strange-looking. It therefore makes perfect sense that Garth is _not_ giving her the eye.}

Sarissa, in general, asks Garth for as careful a description as he can manage of this girlfriend--not just beautiful, but eyes, hair, height, etc. Also: His moping about revenge--revenge about what/whom?

Also: I suggest we search this room _carefully_. Sarissa will detect both evil and psionics; she will ask the others to detect magic.

jkfoote
06-15-2008, 11:58 PM
I'll detect magic, I can do that at will.

Kranchan
06-16-2008, 01:45 PM
{I wish my character had that giant umbrella like in that one commercial. XD}

nijineko
06-20-2008, 12:56 AM
@ Sarissa: You don't detect anything of particular evil within you area, however, you do find a psionic trace. Sufficient time concentrating on it directs your attention towards the bed, of all places.

@ Maleficent: You find a magic trace. Concentrating on it's beguiling scent reveals that it's coming from the charred remains of the bed.

{ooc: will whomever is doing the searching, please make any necessary search check(s)? Thank you. =D }

jkfoote
06-20-2008, 04:13 AM
Continuing to concentrate,
Spell Craft check on the Aura

Search Check after I spell craft the aura
Search check

nijineko
06-21-2008, 04:01 PM
@ Maleficent: The aura registers as strong, but flickers oddly, weakening unexpectedly. You are unable to determine the school of magic involved. {occ: by the way i used the first roll for the spellcraft, not the second one i rolled to get the search roll to function.}

@ Sarissa: The aura has some odd vibrations about it, but mostly registers as strong.

Searching the room proves fruitful. Your first find is a somewhat charred, rolled-up, fiberous mass under the bed. It proves to be a rug when unrolled. Woven into the rug are two amber colored stones. Around the stones in a circle are a series of reddish-brown symbols of unusual design stained into the rug. A few of the symbols look vaguely familiar.

@ Maleficent and Sarissa: The rug is the source of the power detected.


Also discovered are some writings from the desk. Half charred, some of the writings are still legible. It appears to be an unfinished letter:


Dearest Yathancialla,

Since you have entered my life... has changed. I still... ...ard to believe how lucky... ...help in expl... ...the ruins, and in finding the rods, my... ...hope that the power I gave you expre... ...ve and thanks! Again, my tha... ...for hel... ...keep the bloodtrolls in lin... ... rains come. My pet grows very hun... ...waited for this day for such a long time! Justice will be mine! That unjust and faithless so-called high-priest will rue... (large part burned beyond reading) ...all thanks to you... ...fire is the only way to dest... ...ateway for sure. We don't want... ...ollowing behind us....

Some of the other pages seem to have some scattered word fragments on them, starts of letters perhaps, but are burned beyond comprehension.

Nothing else of apparent value or apparent significance is discovered. Everything else is charred and fire-damaged beyond usefulness.

Kranchan
06-22-2008, 03:32 PM
{OOC:


@ Sarissa: The aura has some odd vibrations about it, but mostly registers and strong.

The DM failed his grammar check.}

nijineko
06-22-2008, 07:55 PM
{ooc: hahahahahah, meant that 'and' to be 'as'. fixed in above post. }

Midnight
06-23-2008, 11:20 AM
A few obvious next steps:
1) Bring the rug to a sage and see if we can get the symbols analyzed.
2) See if the same sage recognizes the name Yathancialla.
3) See if anyone else around town recognizes that name.
4) Try to figure out what ruins he's talking about! I think we need to go there ourselves.
5) Find out more about Terrid's past--what are bloodtrolls?
It seems like some Gather Information checks would be in order--does someone here have it? Sarissa has a good Cha but no ranks in the skill.

Kranchan
06-23-2008, 04:43 PM
I don't have the skill. And you guys will have to fill me in because I've been enjoying the rain with Gil.

nijineko
06-28-2008, 04:55 PM
{ooc: nice list. just waiting for the party to declare some actions. do recall that you are welcome to discuss things with each other either in the threads (occ or icc) or via the group, or even pm'ing each other. since no one has responded for a few days, i'll take it upon myself to suggest read magic, read psionics, or some other investigatory (divinatory?) methods be applied.

may i also recall to the party's attention that with Terrid beating up on the poor old man, plus the oddly invisible (except for the big sword and harness) thing that dragged the old man off, and the really big vauge shadow seen moving around in the courtyard; odds are not in favor of the imminent survival of the old man, let alone any other members of the religion trapped inside the dome-thing. }

Kranchan
06-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Look Gil, some dirt! OH! and a bug! *watches bug* To Gil: Hmm I wonder how things are going in there.

jkfoote
06-30-2008, 01:04 AM
"This letter mentions a pet, do you know anything about this pet, and the blood trolls, where are there a good deal of blood trolls around here?"

Kranchan
06-30-2008, 02:50 AM
I don't know anything about this pet. The letter is very vague. At least the letter is more specific about these bloodtrolls. Let me think a moment. I try to recall anything I know about bloodtrolls


OOC: I assume this would be a knowledge nature check?

jkfoote
06-30-2008, 04:43 AM
{ooc: it could also be a knowledge local check for if they are in the area?}

nijineko
06-30-2008, 07:09 PM
@ Kranchan: Your excellent knowledge nature check indicates that there are no occurences of something called "bloodtrolls" in nature, within your range of experience. Perhaps they are something not quite natural?

{knowledge arcana or knowledge the planes check anyone?}

jkfoote
06-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Knowledge Arcana check for blood trolls

nijineko
07-01-2008, 09:03 PM
You seem to recall that you have heard something about it, but you can't quite pull it up again.

Kranchan
07-01-2008, 10:32 PM
I try to recall anything I know about bloodtrolls in the realm of arcane things.

jkfoote
07-02-2008, 04:51 AM
"I recall that there are creatures called blood trolls, but thats about the extent of my knowledge, so I'm not help"

nijineko
07-04-2008, 03:45 PM
{When Veld finds out about the bloodtrolls, via reading the letter or being told by others in the party, he recalls the following after a few moments thinking:

Bloodtrolls are a rare form of troll, rare because they are usually found only on the outer planes. Theorized to be the results of experiments by evil outsiders, bloodtrolls are distinguished from their lesser kin by a resistance to fire, skin the color of coagulated blood, and a distinctly malevolent and highly cunning outlook on existance. They are also known to breed true. Some have been trained to various positions in outsider armies and strike forces, due to the enhanced mental faculties. Like all trolls, they are fond of salty substances.}

jkfoote
07-06-2008, 04:24 AM
"ok, hhmm, so assuming that these things are actually on this plane, I'm guessing we can assume what ever is causing all this rucas is an evil outsider? Further more, is there a way that we can use their fondness of salt to A) find them or B) draw them out?"

nijineko
07-08-2008, 08:14 PM
{occ: i'd like to call on everyone to make an intelligence check, to associate some only slightly related facts. }

jkfoote
07-09-2008, 06:52 AM
Int check

Kranchan
07-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Int Check

jkfoote
07-10-2008, 01:15 PM
{ooc: do we even know our own names? lol}

Kranchan
07-10-2008, 01:16 PM
I think my name is bacon...

nijineko
07-11-2008, 02:44 AM
{ooc: waiting on micro and midnight for int check. =D }

Midnight
07-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Int check

nijineko
07-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Sarissa looks like she's been struck by an idea.

Midnight
07-14-2008, 03:51 PM
"Recall the old priest being dragged away by an invisible assailant, except the visible sword. Perhaps the invisible assailant was a bloodtroll. It seems that Terrid may have allied himself with bloodtrolls--although how this information helps us I'm not sure."

Kranchan
07-15-2008, 02:19 AM
Oh! It could be the "pet" too!

Midnight
07-15-2008, 11:34 AM
{ooc: Clarification--when you said that the old man was dragged away by an unseen assailant, I assume you meant invisible. We could see the sword, though. Is that correct?}

One more thing: I still think we need to take that symbol-cloth to a sage.

nijineko
07-16-2008, 10:08 PM
{since midnight has thought of the information, and micro hasn't gotten back yet, we'll continue for now. to recap: you've searched the room, is there any other questions to ask of terrid's roomate? or are you going to move on? }

jkfoote
07-20-2008, 02:30 AM
"can blood trolls turn invisible if not that would give good credence to the idea that it was being used by someone and had a invisible enchantment"

(ooc: I'm cool moving on)

nijineko
07-20-2008, 08:11 PM
{if moving on, what are you going to do about the rug? about the letter? about the old man that was dragged off? and the others trapped in the temple? }

(tick, tock, tick, tock....)

jkfoote
07-21-2008, 06:30 AM
(ooc: which ever one will get us more info on on the blood trolls)

Midnight
07-21-2008, 01:54 PM
We need to split up. I'll consult with a sage about the symbol-cloth; someone else should consult with a (possibly the same) sage r.e. blood trolls. Also: Can we find anyone associated with the temple who was _not_ trapped inside? Hopefully this person might know more r.e. blood trolls. Also, someone with a high Cha should Gather Information about the beautiful/sinister woman Yathancialla and the high priest of this temple; remember that Terrid was ranting about the "so-called high-priest". Which god/dess was this temple dedicated to?

Finally, we should find someone who might be able to get more information from the letter.

jkfoote
07-21-2008, 04:10 PM
" ok I'll head out and try to gather more info on the Blood trolls." Where should i meet you guys wen i'm done"

nijineko
07-21-2008, 06:30 PM
{question... where is the rug? who has it, and it what condition is it in right now? }

Kranchan
07-21-2008, 10:54 PM
I'll go with you Sarissa. I'll go grab the rug and put it in my bag of holding to keep it safe from the rain and prying eyes. Maybe these blood trolls are connected to that necromancer who murdered my family and friends and maybe the sage will know more.

Midnight
07-23-2008, 09:42 AM
"Kranchan--who was this necromancer, may I ask? When did this horrible thing happen?"

We're going to ask around about a sage who might be able to answer our questions r.e. the cloth.

Kranchan
07-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Sarissa - I don't know who he was. I wasn't even able to get a good look at him. There just seemed to be a never ending ocean of undead with him as their leader. Not only did he kill everyone in my grove apart from Gil and I but he destroyed a large portion of the forest in which we lived. The only reason we survived is because we were playing hide and seek and had found an excellent hiding place then again it may well have been divine intervention from Obad-Hai that we found the place or that we survived. It happened when I was about 9.

nijineko
07-24-2008, 06:41 PM
{ooc: don't tempt to to nic you mogli, now.... } XD

jkfoote
07-26-2008, 02:23 AM
"could maybe the stream of undead that killed your family be connected to this wall of what appears to be undead?"

Kranchan
07-26-2008, 10:11 PM
It's possible though I don't recall seeing anything like this when the grove was attacked. Though I won't know for sure until I see the man behind all this. At any rate if undead are involved in this then they must be destroyed at all costs. They are an affront to nature.

Kranchan
07-26-2008, 10:12 PM
{ooc: don't tempt to to nic you mogli, now.... } XD


What?

jkfoote
07-27-2008, 12:25 AM
What?

{ooc: i agree; what?}

"Well hold on a min, i agree that they must be eliminated, but lets not be to hasty, this dark art or whatever is happening could turn out to very interesting, their may be much to learn"

nijineko
07-27-2008, 05:09 PM
{sorry, jungle book reference... mogli was raised by wolves with a panther and a bear (bageera and baloo) as confidants and other mentors. just reminded, is all. ^^ }

jkfoote
07-28-2008, 04:30 AM
{ooc: oh mogli, ok, for some reason, i rad it as a harry poter reference and didn't get it, but now that I know its a jungle book reference, makes perfect sense.}

Kranchan
07-28-2008, 11:11 PM
(ooc <.< it still doesn't make grammatical sense to me.)

True. I'll try not to do anything rash.

nijineko
07-29-2008, 04:34 PM
{it's a reference to his comment about being 9years old with Gil. raised by a bear, and what not.

Midnight
07-30-2008, 10:13 PM
We're heading out to find someone who can analyze this rug; we also need to Gather Information about the beautiful woman and these mysterious ruins. I guess Sarissa will try Gather Information for all three at once, since she has a decent Cha. She will check with the church first, since they seem to be allies. 3 checks: For a sage; the beautiful woman; and the ruins. All are at +9:
Sage
Woman
Ruins

nijineko
07-30-2008, 10:16 PM
{which church are you speaking of?}

Midnight
07-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant was: There must be some members of the church (the one surrounded by the force field) around who were not inside the force field. Perhaps we can find one of them; they may know more about Terrid in general and these ruins, etc. in particular.

nijineko
07-31-2008, 05:00 PM
{That is an excellent suggestion. It does not take much effort to realize that the majority of the townsfolk are at the main square, being kept at a safe distance by the Captain and her guard. Surely one of them is a regular patron. Terrid's roommate does not know anything else about the ruins, or the woman, and he's never seen the rug before. However, the crowd would also be an ideal place for those gather information checks. Shall we assume that everyone takes their leave of the house and moves back to the town square? }

Kranchan
07-31-2008, 10:30 PM
Ok to the square it is then. Gil wouldn't mind raising someone above the crowd so that they could talk to more people at once. He can also be quite the attention getter both visually and audibly.

nijineko
08-01-2008, 06:00 PM
It is but a short trip back to the square, motivated as you are to find out what you can; spurred by the knowledge that time is most likely swiftly running out for those trapped in the dome.

{ooc: so let me know who is doing what with regards to the crowd. keep in mind the peace-keeping efforts of the captain and her guard! ^^ }

Midnight
08-04-2008, 01:22 PM
I suggest that Sarissa or someone else address the crowd, looking for someone associated with the church. Who would be best? Sarissa has superb Diplomacy, but I don't know if that's the best skill, and besides, she looks funny. :)

Midnight
08-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Sarissa: "Can anyone think of other angles we could address? I still feel like we're running around in circles, and I have the feeling we're missing something obvious we could try or ask about. Does anyone else have ideas?"

jkfoote
08-04-2008, 05:14 PM
"I've been asking myself the same thing, and i can't come up with anything."

Kranchan
08-05-2008, 12:47 PM
I don't have any new ideas either. Here Sarissa, I'll help you up on Gil so that you can address the crowd easier. *Has Gil lay down to make him shorter and allow Sarissa climb up easier* For being such a good sport Gil I'll buy you a big barrel of honey after this.

nijineko
08-05-2008, 05:21 PM
The near edge of the crowd has noticed your preperations, and many are nudging their neighbors to look at the spectacle. Others are edging away from the very very large bear.

Midnight
08-05-2008, 05:26 PM
"People of Tradestop! I am Sarrissa, a Paladin of Freedom. Many of you know me. My companions and I are trying to unravel the mystery of the field surrounding this church so that we may deal with those who have caused this. We are looking for members of this church who could talk to us, and for information about a man named Terrid and a beautiful woman named Yathancialla. If anyone can help us, please come forward! We are staying at <whatever tavern we stayed at--don't remember the name>."

{ooc: I'm not sure what skill applies here. Sarissa's Diplomacy bonus is +23, and her Cha bonus is +9, but I don't know whether this is Diplomacy or something else (presumably Cha-based). I'm putting down a straight 1d20 roll.}
Sarissa's result

nijineko
08-05-2008, 05:47 PM
{ooc: this would be a gather information check. do you happen to have any ranks or bonus in that? }

Midnight
08-06-2008, 12:30 AM
No, she has no ranks in it, just her +9 Cha bonus. That would make the roll a 25 total.

nijineko
08-08-2008, 01:06 AM
... just her +9 Cha bonus....

{ooc: oh, is that all.... :rolleyes: }

After a few minutes of shuffling, you have a few brave volunteers who have stepped forward. Most of them are staying well away from the bear. They seem a fairly ordinary lot.

Kranchan
08-08-2008, 03:20 PM
I tell the crowd "Don't worry Gil here doesn't eat people."

nijineko
08-08-2008, 03:51 PM
You get a few weak grins and nods at that. But nobody seems inclined to test out your claim.

The volunteers eye Sarissa expectantly.

Midnight
08-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Sarissa quietly steps down from the bear and smiles disarmingly, using her Diplomacy to cool people as much as possible. {ooc: Remember odd appearance--feel free to give her a penalty if you feel it's appropriate.} She then says quietly, "As I was saying, we are trying to find a way to penetrate this dome and help the people therein. In particular, we are looking for information on a man named Terrid, an extraordinarily beautiful woman that he was seen with named Yathancialla, and ancient ruins that he might have visited. We also would like to talk with anyone who is a member of Terrid's church. Can you help us?"

Diplomacy check

nijineko
08-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Sarissa's presence and manners seem to reassure and calm the townsfolk, despite her oddities. While speaking with Sarissa, they seem to mostly forget the presence of the bear. After her speaking with the small group for a bit, everyone has discovered the following information:


Terrid used to be a priest of that church in good standing.
Terrid was not as popular as some, due to his hard and uncomprimising take on justice.
Terrid started accepting "donations" from shopkeepers in return for extra presence of Hands to deter criminals and thieves. It is rumored that there was a huge scene with the head of the order over the matter.
The woman has been seen only rarely. She always seems to somehow know some juicy gossip about the most unlikely persons. The most shocking things. There's one who's only skin deep, as they say.
Terrid long ago turned to drink, until just a few weeks ago. Suddenly he went dry. He always claimed he'd get back at the church, one day. No one took him seriously. Just before he went dry, he was missing from his usual taverns for a few weeks.
There was a rumor that Terrid might start arcane studies. He started having these long talks with Master Kloome-purveyor of the wizard's shop-just after he showed up again. He's probably here somewhere.

Midnight
08-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Everyone agree?

Assuming this is the case, we A) visit Master Kloome and B) try to locate the head of the order.

nijineko
08-12-2008, 07:57 PM
B) try to locate the head of the order.

{ooc: you already know where the head of the order is. Handmaster Jeard was the old man who was wounded and getting beat up on by Terrid, whom was later dragged off-the Constable identified him for you earlier. }

Midnight
08-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Sarissa says, "Let us find Master Kloome then." Let's go!

nijineko
08-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Hearing your pronouncement / request, the crowd begins passing the word along. After a short amount of time, Master Kloome is found amongst the crowd, and makes his way over to you. He is a jovial, chubby man, and judging by the wrinkle lines in his face given to smiling. He attempts to look stern, but spoils the effect somewhat when he interlocks his long fingers around his tummy and unconsciously squeezes the fat... an habitual gesture. His volumous robes are belted with a thick belt with many pockets. His cap is slightly askew on top of his thick thatch of hair.

"Someones are looking for me?" he asks cheerfully.

Midnight
08-14-2008, 01:58 PM
As soon as he comes forward, Sarissa does a 3-round Detect Evil in his direction. IF he is not evil, she says, "Yes, we are looking for you.", and gives him a rundown of what's happened, including the odd rug. "We wanted to know what Terrid was talking about with you, to see if we can figure out how to breach this barrier."

nijineko
08-14-2008, 03:44 PM
{he emphatically does not detect as an individual aligned with any source of evil, although you get the occasional ping from the milling crowd behind... pickpockets perhaps? you aren't sure about the latter.}

He listens, smiling, humming, tapping his fingers, and pinching his chins alternately, depending on how the story is going. He perks up interestedly when you reach the part abou the rug. Finally he heaves and enormous sigh, "I had no idea...." He wiggles his fingers, "I am known hereabouts as a collector of oddities, specializing in items of minor magical enchantment. May I... may I see the rug you spoke of?"

Midnight
08-14-2008, 05:06 PM
"You may certainly see it, but I suggest we continue this conversation in private." Sarissa takes him somewhere private, with the rest of the group--perhaps one of our rooms at the inn. "I suggest we stay alert for people listening in."

nijineko
08-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Master Kloome says, "If privacy is required, my shop should serve. Not only would I have access to certain helpful tools, but there is a small courtyard to the rear where I receive deliveries of larger size. Certainly room enough for, ah, everyone." He blinks and smiles, nodding towards Veld and Gil. He appears much more at ease around the giant dire bear than most. "Shall we retire to my shop?"

Midnight
08-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Sarissa nods. "Let us go then." Assuming everyone else is in agreement, we retire to his shop and give him the rug, along with a summary of everything else we've found.

nijineko
08-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Master Kloome proves to live a ten minute walk away on the corner of a street specializing in odd and rare luxury items. He apparently runs the local equivilent of a mage-shop, or so his sign up front indicates. His place is a small tower of about four stories tall, with rooms built into the outer walls. The outer wall follows the shape of the corner, making his courtyard a somewhat squashed parallelogram.

Nonetheless, there is room enough for everyone without crowding. Gil finds a convenient corner post perfect for a nice backscratch. Rain trickles past a row of small potted trees dotting the tops of the walls about his courtyard. The air is becoming chilled from all the damp.

Master Kloome makes various odd puttering sounds as he listens. Having gathered various arcane tools from his shop inside. he proceeds to examine the rug, now spread out in the center of his courtyard. He kneels on the edge of the rug to prevent him from getting muddy, carefully not touching any of the symbols. A tray follows him out of the house, apparently floating in the air. It is laden with mugs of warmed spiced wine, mingled with some water to prevent it from going to everyone's head.

After some time, and some more random noises, he points to certain of the symbols, "Here, here, and here. These i'm not certain what they are at all. They don't conform to any known arcane practices." He heaves one of his sighs. "I have heard rumors of people who practice a new form of magic, drawing from internal energies instead of the natural flows of arcane magic all about us. Perhaps these are from them...."

He humms some random snatches of notes. "But they are interlaced into a circle of conjuration, if rather a non-standard one, to say the least. Interesting that all of this appears to be drawn in blood." He tsks several times. "Such an impermanent medium, this rug won't remain effacious for long, that's certain." He points out a spot that is more brown than red. "Why, here you can even see the degredation! In any case, from what I can gather of the arcane symbols here, these gems here..." He touches a fingertip to one of the gems. It glows, there is a reddish flash, and he is gone!

Master Kloome touched gem number...

jkfoote
08-16-2008, 08:16 PM
"Master Kloome!!!!!!!!!!"

"Curses, i shall follow him"

I move towards the rug with intent to touch the same dot.

Midnight
08-17-2008, 12:41 AM
Sarissa grabs her. "Wait! We should all go together. Let us all touch it at once, or at least while holding hands. Those runes are psionic, and obviously connected with teleportation." Agreed?

jkfoote
08-17-2008, 01:01 AM
"Agreed"

I'll grab her hand and wait for the others to hold hands

nijineko
08-17-2008, 08:50 AM
{may i assume that everyone is of a like mind, and continue on?}

Midnight
08-18-2008, 08:56 AM
"It is foolish to jump in unprepared. I suggest at least a minimum of preparation." {ooc: I think it's worth spending 1 round buffing before we jump in headfirst. Assuming we agree:}
Sarissa concentrates, and her form glows slightly with power.
{ooc: Energy Adaptation; 7 power points.}

Kranchan
08-18-2008, 06:47 PM
I cast Improved Mage Armor on Gil which will give him a +8 armor bonus and bring him to a total AC of 30.

nijineko
08-19-2008, 10:02 AM
{any other 1-round preparations? }

Midnight
08-20-2008, 01:13 PM
DMs discretion about how long to wait, but when everyone is ready, we go.

nijineko
08-20-2008, 02:18 PM
{if micro and toten utgard don't post anything soon, i'll continue later on today. }

nijineko
08-21-2008, 11:53 PM
{right then. we continue. please go ahead and post your next actions. }

Midnight
08-22-2008, 08:46 AM
I believe the plan is simple: Holding hands, touch the gem at the same time. Sarissa has her sword out. (Note: We can touch the gem with the hands that we're holding together--that leaves a hand free.)

Kranchan
08-22-2008, 04:13 PM
*holds hands with Gil and whom ever is next to me*