PDA

View Full Version : AG16: General Announcements

nijineko
03-08-2008, 12:04 AM
welcome to the "Anything Goes 16" campaign run by nijineko.

this will be an easy-going campaign for you to try out whatever you want, within very few limits. the storyline might meander or jump, and will be focused on not much in particular. you'll just have to wait and see how it develops!

nijineko
03-08-2008, 12:40 AM
so, here they are. and not too many at that.

all official 100% wotc content materials allowed, with two exceptions. this includes the books, the website, and dungeon and dragon magazines. ruleset is 3.5, with any 3.0 material that does not have an official 3.5 update also being allowed. the two exceptions are the books 'boed' and 'bovd'. no material that appears in either of these sources is permitted, even if that same material also appears elsewhere, unless the material in question was published prior. in such a case the burden of proof of reference lies upon the player.

stat generation method is online with me via approved method and software, typically 'crystalball lite' and the '3-columns-of-6-sets-of-4d6-keep-3' method.

characters are to include well-thought out background, extensive is preferred.

campaign world is 'greyhawk variant'.

gaming method is play-by-post. i will do my best, considering rl situations, to set the example of posting something "in campaign context" at least once a week. i hope that everyone will follow this example. quicker posting is potentially possible, if rl allows it. if need be, a posting initiative order can be established, to aid in knowing when it's one's turn to act.

other guidelines may be added as needed. =D

nijineko
03-14-2008, 09:57 AM
it was brought to my attention that using level adjusted races could be covered in more detail.

basically, they are allowed. monstrous hit dice (if any) plus level adjustment plus class levels must not exceed 16. one good example is a thri-kreen. they have two monstrous hit dice, and a level adjustment of +2 for a total ecl of 4. this leaves you with up to 12 levels to select classes and prestige and so forth.

nijineko
03-14-2008, 10:25 AM
i'm hoping to start within a couple of weeks. sooner is a (very) slight possibility. i'd like the characters to be in within 5-ish days, if possible, so i have time to tweak any npcs that might be joining the group.

nijineko
03-21-2008, 02:38 AM
the "in-character context" thread is now open for posting! let the game begin!

i would like to ask everyone to invent a(some) reason(s) as to why your character has buisness or pleasure in the town of Tradestop. With regard to that, i will present some commonly known information about Tradestop.

nijineko
04-05-2008, 09:51 PM
brief pause to the game, as i receive and review kranchan's character sheet. =D

nijineko
04-05-2008, 11:52 PM
ruleset is 3.5, with any 3.0 material that does not have an official 3.5 update also being allowed.

it occurs to me that i could be more clear about (at least) one of the implications of this particular rule... whenever there is a 3.5 version, or even a republication of an earlier version, i request that the latest version be used. this applies especially to spells, also to feats and classes and prestige. oddly enough, however, i will not likely require it of magic items... but i may have to adjust the cost/value of said item. if you have what you think might be an exception, or a really, really, good reason, then point me to both versions and make your case.

i'll examine it and let you know what the decision is. =D in this particular campaign, i've even been known to allow an interesting spell or item from previous editions. (i may make you pay a research cost for a unique spell, and restat and recost the item, depending.)

nijineko
04-11-2008, 01:34 AM
clarification concerning the unearthed arcana:

optional rules that affect characters individually are fine as they are. if the optional rule that you want to use would affect everyone in the party, then that of course needs to be brought to me and i will bring it to the group. for example, using the optional trait rules is fine, but using the DR instead of AC for armor rule would affect everyone, thus would need to be run past me, and i would run it past the group.

clarification about magic item creation:

concerning the magic item creation tables. use them as is as much as possible. i'll have to adjudicate all magic items purchased in this way. creating magic items yourself via the feats, does reduce the cost to you, but also reduces your xp, leaving you perhaps short of 16th level. for simplicities sake, do not reduce your starting wealth, even if your level drops. you still have to meet all the requirements for all your items at whatever your final adjusted level is as if you had forged them at that level. (i know, i know... not balanced.) ^^ obviously i'll be adjudicating these as well.

but hey, this is for fun, right? don't worry, you'll be sweating it from time to time. >=D

nijineko
04-22-2008, 06:01 PM
clarification concerning in character information-

generally speaking, if the information your character is seeking is something that only they would perceive, for whatever reason, then i will send that information as a pm, rather than posting it in the public thread.

nijineko
11-24-2008, 02:56 PM
so. i'm here in california, now. the only access i have is from work, so i am pretty limited for the moment. as soon as i can get regular access, somehow, i'll be posting for the games i'm running again! you have not been abandonded, just that the gm is offline (mostly)!!! thank you for all of your patience! i WILL start the games up as soon as i am able. =D

nijineko
12-02-2008, 10:12 AM
i can be contacted on a regular basis via the usual messenger clients (yim, aim, msnim) now. do keep in mind that i'm at work as i don't yet have other internet access.

nijineko
12-18-2008, 06:15 PM
i'm back! i'm still getting up to speed, but i'll be posting again! =D not only that, but i can be reached via my usual contact methods, too: aim, msnim, yim, skype, email, pm, and so forth. ^^ i've missed being online and gaming with everyone terribly!

Dax Thura
12-28-2008, 04:36 AM
Roll Call!

Whose still here?

I am.

nijineko
12-31-2008, 01:05 PM
obviously, i am. i also pm'ed everyone. after a bit, i'll check to see who has email listed.

nijineko
01-27-2009, 08:12 PM
yea! internet from home! i'll be able to post much more regularly from now on! =D

nijineko
06-26-2009, 11:51 AM
i will be posting a generic campaign rules in my blog so that there is an easy to find reference for everyone. here is an update that is going to apply across all of my campaigns.

change in disallowed books, after further review and consideration additional books have been disallowed. the full disallowed list now consists of the following:

book of exalted deeds (boed)
book of vile darkness (bovd)
exemplars of evil (eoe)
elder evils (ee)
champions of valor (cov) (under consideration)
champions of ruin (cor)
fiendish codex 1 (fc1)
fiendish codex 2 (fc2)

this is consistent with the campaign rule disallowing evil player characters. as the boed, companion volume to the bovd, has been disallowed for certain reasons, the cov, companion volume to the cor, will be likewise evaluated for placement on the disallowed list.

nijineko
08-01-2009, 06:05 PM
in answer to the question about action points, here is the relevant link in my blog: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/blog.php?b=608

to specifically answer you, action points were introduced in 3.5 in the unearthed arcana (p.122-124), and became a large part of the eberron campaign setting, and i believe the d20 star wars as well. think of them as fate points of a sort.

here's the basics: you get 5 + 1/2 your current character level (rounded down, as usual). when you spend an action point, you normally roll a die. at levels 1-7 you roll 1d6, at levels 8-14 you roll 2d6, and at levels 15-20, you roll 3d6. you keep the highest die and discard the rest. add the result of the highest die to your d20 roll that you are trying to "fate". presto, new result! ^^

there is a long list of other useful special action effects that you can use an action point on in the unearthed arcana.

generally speaking, i allow use of them as generic fate points to avert something seriously undesirable, regardless of the technical specifics as outlined in the rules. i do however, strictly enforce the number of fate points available, though i have been known to award the occasional point here and there due to really odd dice results, extreme runs of poor rolls, and the like.

there are also a number of feats around various source books that grant various bonuses, extra uses, and the like relating to action points.

i know that someone asked about them before and i said it was fine... but i think i did forget to make that generally known... what with the "anything goes" theme, and all. nonetheless, my bad. *^^*

Midnight
09-10-2009, 01:17 PM
My wife and I are about to adopt a baby boy from South Korea. We'll be flying there next weekend. While we're there, posting will be spotty. Afterwards, I'll try to keep up with posts, but depending on new-child hassles, it may still be spotty. If necessary, nijineko can take over my character. It's been great playing with everyone.

Thanks,
midnight42

nijineko
09-28-2009, 12:45 AM
alright everyone. i have some good news and some bad news. as is my wont, i will start with the "bad" news. despite the fact that i've been spending only a fraction of my time with posting on rp and my other online projects, i've been spending too much time on the computer overall. i've noticed behavioral changes in the wife and boys that indicate that i'm too distant, or distracted, or busy... and i won't have that.

so i'll be spending a lot less time on the computer, and more time with the family. which means that the various online based projects and rp i'm involved with will take a serious hit in my attending to them.

the good news is that i will still make an effort to maintain involvement, but it will be more like a once or twice every month or three... or possibly even less often. i will be reachable via email, though much less often via pm or im. if you need to reach me, email me-or call if you have my number. ^^

again, this does not mean i am abandoning anyone, nor does it mean i am dropping anything, per se. if it does come to that somehow, someday, i will let everyone affected know specifically.
it does mean, however, that there will be loooooong gaps between when i look in to take care of something. if anyone cannot work with this, i fully understand, please contact me to work out any details. =D

like the cat of proverb, i'll always come by again... eventually. ^^

another piece of good news, i have a second part time job, so i am busy learning the in's and out's of that one, in addition to learning the first one. i'm near a month at my first job, and just finished the first week at the second job. looking forward to being able to pay more of the bills, that's for sure!

questions, comments, and in general, communications are welcome!

nijineko
12-30-2009, 12:20 AM
going to be offline for a while. my gmail account might get through to me. i might be able to check it occasionally from work. phone is still good for those of you that have it. in the mean time, happy new year! i'll be in touch when i can.

nijineko
05-18-2011, 11:51 AM
change in dm'ing policy.

i don't mind admitting that i had been getting rather a headache trying to track who spotted what, or heard what, or similarly dealing with the complex combat via play by post. since i'm home sick today, and thought i'd take advantage of the rare opportunity (due to being home sick) to actually make an update post, i was reviewing the thread, and probably not the best idea that as my headache came back. ^^

so in consequence of making my life easier (for when i do post, however infrequently that is) when the party is in a group, or basically in roughly the same area, and there is not some special environmental factor involved, everyone can still make their individual spot and listen and search (and so forth related checks) and if any of you make it, i'll assume inter-party communication making everyone aware of that fact. this will make things a bit easier on the party, so i may occasionally compensate in small fashions, be warned.

furthermore, update to my personal status: working full-time at one of the jobs i was previously part-time at, for much better wages. now making just enough to get by on a monthly basis. (hooray! especially in these tight financial times! not to mention living in expensive california) going to school online, which is going well even though i had to drop down from full-time to part-time again, but the little ones really need quality time. i can't shirk on that supremely important role of father, as no success outside of my home will ever compensate for failure in my home! picked up a scooter, which is great for getting around oceanside, and saves so much on gas! i pay maybe $4-8 a week for it. =D (not counting breakdowns) religious duties continue as always, it's great to be able to help out others when they really need it. overall, things are going pretty well. =D

nijineko
04-20-2013, 07:37 PM
so, i think i will be closing this particular game, in order to concentrate on the games i am playing in, as well as the other game i am running - Carnival of Souls. thanks to all who participated in this game, comments and questions are welcome - just pm/email me.

-- nijineko