PDA

View Full Version : TGB but not really a Robert

TwoGunBob
10-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Yes, I stole Robert Howard's moniker and have put it to my own use for... evil? Well, I adopted it as I always quite liked it. Usually people call me Jamie.

How did you first get started in roleplaying games?
The first roleplaying item purchased that I can clearly remember is a Dragon magazine with a free adventure included. I don't think we even made up rules for it at that point. It was just curious more than anything else. My mother later bought a copy of S2: White Pulme Mountain which I did write rules for. It was little more than roll 3d6 and the highest roll wins and takes some damage.
I saved every penny I could scrounge from the couch or find on the ground to be able to purchase the fabled Basic Set so I could actually learn how to play. It seems to have taken near forever to raise the ten dollars for the set. At least I think it was ten bucks. I paid for it in change and possibly two real paper dollars. After that hurdle the Expert Set and later the hardcover books weren't that hard to come by. Memory serves that I bought all of my game books from Toys R Us back then.

What games have you played?
AD&D 1st and 2nd edition, Call of Cthulhu, Chill, Paranoia, Heroes Unlimited, The Collectors, KULT, Vampire: TM, Werewolf: TA, Burning Wheel, FASA Star Trek, Gamma World, Afterwars, Aftermath (dear lord never again though!), FASA Doctor Who, probably a few more I'm not thinking of. I mostly favor the indie games right now. Real big fan of Burning Wheel right now.

Farcaster
10-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Memory serves that I bought all of my game books from Toys R Us back then.

Ah, yes.. Toys R Us. I think I bought the basic sets there. And my 1st edition shopping was at the ye ole' Waldenbooks.