PDA

View Full Version : Champions Online

Moritz
02-26-2008, 08:34 AM
http://www.champions-online.com/

Get ready boys and girls, this is going to be the greatest game evaaaar!

I learned to hate Champions because of the Math involved. This MMO will take away all the math and give us what we like, freedom to choose, express, play.

I'm so excited.

Skunkape
02-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Provided the dev team doesn't screw it up with their vision!:p

Honestly, I'm looking forward to it as well, as that was the best supers game I have played yet. Course it might be because the guy that created Defender ran the quite a few games for us in Miami!

nijineko
03-02-2008, 03:40 AM
really? i'll have to check this out. thanks for the link.

TheQuestionMan
04-16-2008, 06:23 PM
They got the rights to the Intellectual Properties, but the pnp still belongs to DOJ at HERO Games

Champions RULESZ!!!

QM

Farcaster
04-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Do you think they will be able to compete with City of Heroes? The graphics from Champion's Online look a bit better based on the screenshots. But, then, they also looks somewhat mocked up. They do have a couple of features that sound cool and aren't in CoH, though:

Keep your enemies close: Every hero must have an archenemy. In Champions Online, you design your character's supreme adversary, choosing a name, powers and costume for a superpowered foe to bedevil your hero throughout his or her career.

And

Endless exploration: The battle against evil in Champions Online rages across the world into outer space and alternate dimensions. No other MMOG offers players the chance to explore such diverse realms from the shining skyscrapers of Millennium City and the frozen wastes of Canada to the interstellar gladiatorial arena on the moon, the hidden underwater city of Lemuria and the foul mystical dimension known as Qliphotic.

Moritz
04-18-2008, 09:21 AM
CoH isn't the game that it was 2 years ago. Now it's just 'grinding for IO's' and 'Influence'. The end game content sucks, they nerfed all the super cool powers. And it's even more redundant than playing Atari's 'Yar's Revenge'. Unless CoH does something totally drastic, I know at least 14 people who will be dropping them like a bad penny when Champions Online comes out.

Mead
06-25-2008, 09:28 AM
That could have been said for CoH a month after release. It would be hard for CO to be more bland than that.

I'm really looking forward to it, and so are a couple of my college buddies who used to play it too.

Moritz
06-25-2008, 10:35 AM
I played it for 21 months (not consecutively). Loved it, but it grew stale.

I'm looking forward to Champions-Online, but I've heard bad things. One is that EoA bought the rights to the Champions Universe, not the game system. So basically, the system may not be what we're anticipating. Which could just end up being CoH2.0.

But I'll still give it a shot.

nijineko
06-25-2008, 03:22 PM
it's all about content and meaningful ability to affect the world and storyline.

Moritz
06-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Yeah, since when do we ever effect content in a MMORPG without 12 months of grinding to have one NPC villain taken off the map?

Skunkape
06-26-2008, 08:54 AM
I kept with CoX from public beta till about 4 months ago. I finally decided it was time to stop paying since the amount of time I was playing had dropped from several hours a week to a couple of hours a month.

It had gotten really stale for me as well. I so hope Champions will be good, but I'd really like them to use a rules system like the PnP game. I know that the chances of that are slim to none, but it would be nice. Another thing I'd like to see would be for the different servers to be based on how many 'points' you had to build a character.

That way, if you wanted to play a Batman level game, you'd get on a server that had low points for character build. If you wanted to play a Superman level game, you'd get on a server that had high points for character build. Guess we'll see where they go with it when they finally release the game!

Tamerath
07-24-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far about this game. The "Archvillian" creation seems really intriguing and I wonder how it'll play out in the game. I also like the idea of having it more action packed with action-game oriented controls. I think that's really what City of Heroes lacked. That and the repetition. I'm really looking forward to this game! Might give me a break from World of Warcraft which is starting to get old for me.

nijineko
07-26-2008, 07:51 PM
content requires talented writers. meaningful content requires writers that have input into how the game is going to be designed.

Zig
11-22-2008, 04:27 AM
I was an avid champs player long ago and got really excited when I heard the news... however I researched it a bit and in a word... lame. they are really aiming for the kiddies on this one, come on robot cowboys? seriously I am wondering when a game company will forget all that 1950's golden age crap and give us a superhero game more based on the bloody and ruthless heros we know and love today. Punnisher, Wolverene, Deadpool, etc. and these kinds of hero/vigilanties have no place in a game made for kids to play. everything I read about champs online screams care bear, and unless its amazingly better than what I suspect it's going to be I'm gonna pass.

Webhead
11-22-2008, 01:46 PM
I was an avid champs player long ago and got really excited when I heard the news... however I researched it a bit and in a word... lame. they are really aiming for the kiddies on this one, come on robot cowboys? seriously I am wondering when a game company will forget all that 1950's golden age crap and give us a superhero game more based on the bloody and ruthless heros we know and love today. Punnisher, Wolverene, Deadpool, etc. and these kinds of hero/vigilanties have no place in a game made for kids to play. everything I read about champs online screams care bear, and unless its amazingly better than what I suspect it's going to be I'm gonna pass.

While you could be right about the game aiming at a younger audience, I think it goes a little far to say the Golden Age was "crap" and that the newer breed of ends-justify-the-means anti-heroes are somehow intrinsically "better". More adult-oriented, perhaps, but better? I tend to disagree with that. I certainly have very little "love" for most of the "bloody and ruthless" heroes that are so often touted today. Give me heroes who actually stand for something and who are worth looking up to.

Take me for instance. I'm an avid comic book/super hero fan and have been since I can remember. When I read about super heroes, I want them to be "heroic" and actually resemble something morally sound. I also like to see a reflect of very "human" social and emotional struggles, but "heroes" who just surrender to their baser instincts are very anti-appealing to me.

Wolverine is an excellently complex example. Wolverine is a good character...when written properly. When he is written as nothing more than a rage-fueled human blender, I have no interest. However, when Wolvie is given a deeper treatment, showing the underlying sense of honor that he has and how much he secretly values the bonds and "family" that he has developed with his companions, the character is made all the more compelling by the audience being shown that underneath his rough exterior, there really is something noble and worthwhile within him.

That's just personal opinion. There are people who love the Wolverine character as nothing more than a furious, indestructable ball of pointy things. Yawn. Then there are also those who have just as much attachment to the character, but because they see in him a deeper exploration of the human condition.

But back to Champs Online, it will probably just be yet another spin on City of Heroes. DC Universe Online may end up being much the same. As much as I really would love to play a solid supers MMO (where players can play any kind of hero they want, from the dark and gritty, gun-toting anti-heroes to the "Golden Age" style defenders of truth and justice), I'll be very hesitant to do so mostly because I would hold any such game to very high standards.

Moritz
11-24-2008, 02:49 PM
So a friend of mine is beta testing Champions Online. He's been playing CoX for over a year now and has a basis of comparison.

He says that Champions Online (even in Beta) is amazing. From what he describes, the mechanics of combat are similar to Warhammer Online and instant. That you don't have to wait for some lengthy recharge/recycle. Additionally, there's also a buildup of energy for power sets.

Also, there aren't any archetypes. So you just pay points to buy powers. Any powers. Additionally, he notes there are thousands of more costume options than CoX.

I'm not sure of all the details, but he's loving it.

Zig
11-25-2008, 03:13 AM
well webhead I dont think I share your views, to me the golden age, 4 color comics were devoid of any kind of character depth, superman was this larger than life hero with a big smile on his face who just flew in and beat the crap out of the moustache twirling BBEG saved lois and flew away. booooring.

As you said a character like wolverine is a good example of why these so called viccious and ruthless characters are so enjoyable to read about, he struggles with his rage and self control, feels guilt about his actions, worries about hurting the people who are close to him etc. but take away the uncontrolable rage, the pain, the angst, the byronic influence of the anti-hero and what have you got? Well the Wolverine comic becomes something like the A-team tv show where nobody dies, all the bullets miss their targets, and people walk away from plane crashes. In short it becomes completely cheesy. Really the same problems I have with World of Warcraft... too cheesy, too cartoony, too goofy. I hope champs online dosent do this but everything I've seen so far says they are going for... extra cheese.

Skunkape
11-25-2008, 07:57 AM
So a friend of mine is beta testing Champions Online. He's been playing CoX for over a year now and has a basis of comparison.

He says that Champions Online (even in Beta) is amazing. From what he describes, the mechanics of combat are similar to Warhammer Online and instant. That you don't have to wait for some lengthy recharge/recycle. Additionally, there's also a buildup of energy for power sets.

Also, there aren't any archetypes. So you just pay points to buy powers. Any powers. Additionally, he notes there are thousands of more costume options than CoX.

I'm not sure of all the details, but he's loving it.

Sounds great. I've been watching this for as long as it's been in development and can't wait to see where they take it. As I've said in the past in this thread, as long as they don't ruin it in my opinion, I'm going to be playing it, at least until I get bored with it.:D

Oh and I prefer the 4 color era myself as well. Course, I prefer Marvel over DC, mostly because the Marvel characters are better written in my opinion.

Webhead
11-25-2008, 11:06 AM
well webhead I dont think I share your views...

That's the great part about opinions...everyone is entitled to have one.

Don't get me wrong. There are a number of the "darker", "grittier" style comics that I love immensely. Watchmen, H-E-R-O and Powers are prime examples. Some of the most excellent comics that I've read. As long as there is some sympathetic or redeeming element to the undercurrent of the character(s), I can still consider them "heroic". I draw the line when anti-heroes are just used as an excuse to for gratuitous violence without any kind of moral or emotional foundation.

Again, Wolverine. Logan has anger-management issues. It is easy for him to fly off the handle and kill someone. But it is tough (and shows real development of character) if he is in a position to kill someone, and desperately wants to, but is reminded that it isn't the "right" thing to do and puts aside his naturally destructive tendencies to attempt to think beyond himself.

Yes, the early Superman story formulas are rather boring by today's standards because there is no sense of risk or challenge or character development to them. But Superman can be (and has been, on rare occasion) written in a way that eschews this forumla in favor of exploring (what I think is) the real "core" of what the character is supposed to be: the ultimate believer in self-sacrifice. Superman is the kind of hero who would willingly give his own life to protect another. He wouldn't even think twice about it. If he has the power to save a life, he will gladly give everything he has to do it. For all his power, Superman does not value himself above any other being. He believes that his power exists for the sole purpose of helping others.

That's what a "hero" is supposed to be about: self-sacrifice to do what is "right".

Like the famous Spider-Man quote: "With great power, there must also come great responsibility."

To become a hero means placing the needs of others before your own. That is the hero's journey. Any anti-hero who observes (or even sincerely struggles with) this sort of behavior has my respect and interest. Any anti-hero who simply does what he or she wishes without regard to the hearts and minds of others is virtually nothing more than a misguided villain in my opinion. The villainous rarely think themselves evil.

Thus, in the moments when Logan honestly struggles against his darker nature, he shows the marks of his heroism.

Sorry for the rant. As you can tell, I'm passionate about super heroes. ;)

nijineko
12-04-2008, 10:21 AM
a hero is someone who steps in and does what needs doing, when it seems that no one else will, when it is for the greater good, regardless of personal sacrifice. a hero believes in truth, justice, true love, and the greater good, regardless if it is true or not, because those are the things worth believing in.

a villain is someone who steps in and does what they see needs to be done, regardless of, or even because of consequence.

the line is thin, and there are millions of variations all over the ethical and moral landscape for each.