PDA

View Full Version : League of Wonders

kipling
02-23-2008, 11:50 AM
New evils have arisen in the brave world of 1889: the recent Jack the Ripper, for instance, and the mysterious force that has sunk shipping between the old world and the new. They must be fought. To this end, Queen Victoria has proposed a league of the new wonder men and women who have shown up in some locales.

This will be a PL 10 adventure cum game, 150 points, a gaslight Justice League if you will. Characters must be versions of someone from the DC universe. Reply here or PM me with character concept and history.

Posts every two days are required or the GM will (temporarily, I hope) take over your character. Posts more often might happen, but we will wait in combat involving multiple PCs. Weekends are excluded.

I'm not looking to make this rigorously historical; unless it's relevant to an adventure, we won't be discussing the Corn Law.

nijineko
02-24-2008, 12:00 AM
i'd be willing to take a stab at this. it will be my first ever pbp... and the first time i'll have ever used this system. so i'll need some setup help. let me read the book(s) first to get an idea, before i start asking questions. that way we can skip a lot of the basics.

can this be any character from dc, any era, any (legit) dc source? (comics, novels, rpg, etc) i'll have to research that a bit to find something i'll want to play. and once i've read the book(s), i'll have a better understanding of how powerful 150pts is.

this sounds most "league of extraordinary gentlemen". my intrest is piqued. count me in, but how much time to i have to learn, research and setup, before you want to start?

if weekends are not counted... that pretty much equates posting 3 times a week, yes?

i wonder if there are any japanese origin characters i could play...

kipling
02-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Well, elseworlds stiories are pretty much excluded, but most of DC is open.

PL10 150 pts is the default start in the books, though iothers are possible. There is a thread in the Atomic Think Tank that provides level 10 versions of many JL heroes--I'll amend this post to include it later. Normally the big guns of the League are PL13-PL17.

For inspiration: You can look at the pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cryptonaut/2259390992/in/pool-steamjustice/ or at http://gizmodo.com/343499/steampunk-justice-league-modded-action-figures. This (http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?t=22311) is the topic I referred to above.

For being Japanese, well, there aren't many (Katana and Dr. Light are the only two I can think of off-hand) but any hero who is thematically an outsider (such as Booster Gold, or the Martian Manhunter) can simply have adopted Japanese culture to explain why he or she is "different."

As far as rules go, there are nice rules in Unlimited Power, but I shall be trying not to use them. You should need only the core rulebook (and the errata, if yoy don't have the third printing. The errata are available on the M&M website, under Gimmick's Gadgets.)

As far as "when" goes, I'm still debating that--I'm away skiing during the March Break, about March 6-16, so I think we'll start the campaign after that. I would like to start earlier, but we would have to stop immediately for a break, and we still only have three players.

nijineko
02-25-2008, 01:23 PM
in attempting to research this, i've run smack into my ignorance... i somehow never realized just how much dc universe there is! i know most of the big names, and a few of the smaller ones, but that's pretty much where it stops. and there are so many! i was overwhelmed. i guess that i've run into marvel stuff mostly during my life.

however, i received the inspiration to research some of my favorite characters in general, and i found that one of them has been a dc character. =D and as an added bonus, he is already just shy of being from a gaslight time period!

i'll see what i can come up with, once i've read a little more.

kipling
02-26-2008, 06:50 AM
I'll hold a space for you.

Mind saying who the one of your favorite characters is?

nijineko
02-26-2008, 11:05 AM
thank you kindly! and i would be very happy to play The Shadow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadow#Comic_books). clicking the name will reveal a handy wiki page detailing his comicbook history with dc (and others). i must admit that i haven't read the comics in question (yet), so i will be drawing my understanding of his powers and abilities and skills primarily from the novels. i have a list worked out of what i recall for certain. i'll see if i can manage to put together a character sheet and then i'll let you know and see if i need help. ^^

Ballzy1
02-26-2008, 02:20 PM
I think my 2 favorite characters would be Superman and the Green Arrow, so whichever one fits your story best I would be interested in playing. thanks, Ballzy

spotlight
02-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Gooday. I would like the chance to join this game. The post requirements are not to difficult and will not interfer with my other responcibilities.
I am not familiar with M&M but will look up the books at my local Half-Price store.
The choice of characters, being limited to DC only, will be a challenge for me. I am used to building my own from scratch with the Champions rules.

I will probably chose that streching character who fancies himself as a detective and has to drink some wierd potion each day to keep strechy. Unfortunatly, I do not recall his name since I have not looked at comics in around twenty years or so....

kipling
02-26-2008, 05:15 PM
I'd certainly suggest Superman; the group needs a little more power, and Superman would lend it an SF feel. (It's very magic-heavy right now.)

The stretchy character would be Ralph Dibny, the Elongated Man. He'd be a useful character.

And that makes six. I assume that people will drop out (PbP has that rep), so starting with six is okay with me.

drfeck
02-26-2008, 09:13 PM
...and I can make posts, so that is most likely the case.

Nice to be here!:D

Ballzy1
02-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Awesome - I would love to play Superman - I will start putting together the character tomorrow and PM you. I can post daily if needed so no worries on the guidelines. Thanks!

nijineko
02-27-2008, 03:43 AM
i found a pl10 superman build over on the m&m forums. ^^ but perhaps you would prefer to build a custom version^^ =D i'd better get busy about mine then... i'm still reading the book, trying to get a feel for it. =D

kipling
02-27-2008, 08:20 AM
i found a pl10 superman build over on the m&m forums. ^^ but perhaps you would prefer to build a custom version^^ =D i'd better get busy about mine then... i'm still reading the book, trying to get a feel for it. =D

I think there are two, actually; I don't know if there's a PL10 Shadow, but there might be. The Dark Avenger is a place to start; I can send you that writeup (it's from one of the PDF accessories) if you want.

nijineko
02-27-2008, 10:16 AM
i will keep that in mind. =D thank you.

so whom else is being played? you said 'magic' heavy... i'm curious to know.

drfeck
02-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Say Kipling, is there a background for the game we can look into? For example, are we playing in Gotham or the UK?

kipling
02-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Well, you'll be everywhere British interests are, but based out of the UK.

EDIT: So there will be times you'll be in the US, in Africa (there were British interests there), or even on "loan" to deal with things. If anyone is interested in something more political, PM me, and I'll add elements of that, though it won't be the focus of the adventures. However, you might have an overt reason to go somewhere and a covert reason ("By the bye, old chap, tell us everything you see; Afghanistan is right on the border with Russia, and we would like to know what the Russians are doing. All part of the Great Game, don't you know.")

Citadel
02-29-2008, 02:51 PM
i will keep that in mind. =D thank you.

so whom else is being played? you said 'magic' heavy... i'm curious to know.

That would be me. I'm using a variation of Dr. Fate. Kipling came up with a perfect For him Marshal Fate. I've worked out most of the bugs, but I'll be done with him this weekend.

nijineko
03-01-2008, 02:03 AM
ooooh, interesting. just read the wiki about dr. fate. i wonder which direction you will take this character. looking forward to it.

kipling
03-01-2008, 09:55 PM
We have Jason Blood (and his alter ego) and Marshall Fate; we have Azrael and the Shadow; and we have Superman and (possibly) the Elongated Man. The first two (and possibly the spin on the third) are magic-heavy. So magic will play a role.

If I can manage, something will both scientific and magical, depending on who is looking at it.

Citadel
03-03-2008, 10:07 AM
We have Jason Blood (and his alter ego) and Marshall Fate; we have Azrael and the Shadow; and we have Superman and (possibly) the Elongated Man. The first two (and possibly the spin on the third) are magic-heavy. So magic will play a roll.

If I can manage, something will both scientific *and* magical, depending on who is looking at it.

The character I gave you I had to revise in order to make it some what DCish. So I'll have a revamped version for you on Tues day. I was also considering making his PL a six or seven when he involuntary changes back to his normal identity. Due to the fact Doctor Fate is really the voluntary pssession of Nabu himself, atlest thats what I got reading Dr. Fate on wiki.

nijineko
03-03-2008, 10:46 AM
depends on which version of dr. fate you go with. ^^

Citadel
03-03-2008, 12:41 PM
depends on which version of dr. fate you go with. ^^

I was thinking the Kent Nelson version. I was also wondering if it's to Magic heavy I could have a Steam punk Green Lantern ready in no time. All I really have to do is type it up and send it to Kipling. There both already maid up. My only consern is what does a Variable Power means

nijineko
03-03-2008, 01:30 PM
i'm not sure what you mean, the phrase "variable power" as such, does not show up in the book at all. are you talking about "alternate power power feat"?

edit: ah, just found it. in the masterminds book. it is basically a very expensive power that creates a pool of virtual points from which you can temporarily "make" any power you wish on the fly. to be used with extreme caution, and will invariably be heavily gm supervised/limited. (imho) most likely designed to mimic the "cosmic powers" that some heroes occasionally manage to acquire.

i would find it perfect for my character, but i would insist on limiting it such that i can only make abilities and effects that are actually used by my character as shown in the novels or other source material. i'm picky like that.

Citadel
03-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Variable power is like a array which discribes a way of building powers as well as a container power, magic is array. I just wanted to know the mechanics behid variable powers. You can find it in Powers Unlimited I'm noty sure on what page.;)

nijineko
03-03-2008, 01:41 PM
well, i'll have to try to find what you are speaking of, since i found one in a different book. ^^ maybe it's the same, maybe not. i'll look and see.

kipling
03-04-2008, 02:44 AM
"Powers Unlimited" goes into more detail on the variable power. Basically it's a (old Champions GM speaking) cosmic power pool that does *anything* you can justify.

(Of course, with a hero point, any power can be any other power: you just power stunt it.)

I have been avoiding the Ultimate Power writeups because I don't want to require people to read it for the game. I don't recall how various people do the Green Lantern builds on the Atomic Think Tank; I haven't spent enough time reading the builds. :)

Variable power *is* expensive, and it needs to be controlled and limited in some way, or other players feel short-changed.

nijineko
03-04-2008, 03:02 AM
indeed. quite agree. have you gotten around to slogging through my pm yet? i notice that arrays seem to be described differently in the main book from the power or mastermind book. will be needing some help with the numbers on the build. =D

Citadel
03-13-2008, 03:56 PM
I regret to inform you but I't doesn't seem I'll be able to go threw with this. My job is sending me on the road at the end of this month, and when I come back I'll be in the hospital for awhile. I do appologize

nijineko
03-14-2008, 01:58 AM
very sorry to hear that! =( hang in there!

kipling? do you check your yahoo email? i've sent you some more stuff. and i need the feedback in order to complete my character! ^^'

kipling
03-14-2008, 10:05 PM
I regret to inform you but I't doesn't seem I'll be able to go threw with this. My job is sending me on the road at the end of this month, and when I come back I'll be in the hospital for awhile. I do appologize

Sorry to hear that. Well, there'll be a place for you at our virtual table.

And good luck on the hospital thing.