PDA

View Full Version : forum page format....

nijineko
02-22-2008, 01:36 PM
i like that right at the top there is a box under the title that shows where one is in the directory structure. i get to the bottom of a long page of posts, and have to scroll up to access this menu structure! minor-but constantly irritating. like a splinter, sorta. could we also have the directory structure part show at the bottom as well as the top? the sitenav|player reg|sponsor|events etc., don't need to also appear. just the directory/menu structure bit. =D

pretty please?

Freejack
02-22-2008, 01:49 PM
There is a "Forum Jump" link at the bottom. I'll click there and then to New Posts. An extra click for sure though.

Carl

nijineko
02-22-2008, 02:10 PM
well if i really had my way, i'd want the forum menu to be in a sidebar down the left side, and the posts on the right. after all, this is a gaming site, right? ;D we could go seriously retro and have each page laid out like an rpg source book, sidebars, with two columns of text and the occasional graphic. =D

but seriously. i'd like to be able to see the posts in one spot, and then have the forum or subforum available in another spot. that way i can click on a post, read it, and still click on another post without having to jump from page to page, over and over....

Freejack
02-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Hmmm, you mean more like Outlook? With a list of Sub-forums, the highlighted forum with a second column of posts, a third column with a list of the messages, and a fourth column with the body of the message?

Then I'd really have a good use for my home system.

http://www.schelin.org/stuff/bannerscn.jpg

:D

Carl

Maelstrom
02-22-2008, 07:15 PM
The more screens the merrier!

nijineko
02-23-2008, 11:10 AM
something like that, yeah.

rabkala
02-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Cool! :D

nijineko
02-29-2008, 12:11 AM
i know i can swing two screens on my homes system.... ^^

Freejack
02-29-2008, 08:38 AM
This isn't quite the setup. The only difference is the left monitor is turned sideways to show PDF's.

http://schelin.org/stuff/computer/dscn9555x600.jpg

Carl

Farcaster
02-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Freejack, are you the PHP and MySQL god that this picture would suggest or do you just like using the books as monitor stands? :p

Jonathan Kwiat
02-29-2008, 03:26 PM
> Hmm...

well. As there are no longer any jpegs I can see. I have nothing to say about the ScreenShot that was previously here.

Freejack
02-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Freejack, are you the PHP and MySQL god that this picture would suggest or do you just like using the books as monitor stands? :p

Nah. I'm sort of an ADHD computer guy :) I have a lot of interests so when I want to learn how to do something, I'll snag books until I get the info I'm looking for. I particularly like O'Reilly books so I have a pretty large collection.

Right now I'm playing with mobile access to my web pages and trying to have them presented to look reasonably ok. Unfortunately most mobile device browsers don't pay attention to css "handheld" or @media tags which is why you find mobile web pages vs a css'd web page (like http://m.denverpost.com) which is formatted for best display on small handheld devices.

As a result, I have several css books open and am checking out the mobile sites to see how they do it.

:)

Carl

Freejack
02-29-2008, 05:47 PM
You have a very unique way of writing. Almost a free-form or stream of thought writing. Maybe like you're using a voice to text program :) It's not bad, just somewhat sideways to follow :)

Dude that is way too high res to stay around long. Edit your Thumbs!

It's a little wide but size wise it was only 120k or so. I wanted to keep it large enough to be able to read the text. I dropped it down to 75k. The text is a little blurry though, sorry :)

You start making this board look like MySpace...well I can do that junk too.

Nah, I've seen some myspace pages. I don't see this or any forum getting that bad :) The first forum I was on is a Motorcycle Touring one and the biggest rule there is that "It Doesn't Exist Without Pictures". So I'm used to having pictures on hand for a lot of stuff I do.

No Offense...really. I just have to read through a lot of week old thread right now because someone actually offered me a real game face to face in my local neighbhorhood.

Congrats. I've been having fun with my Shadowrun group on Sundays.

PS I am glad to see you are running Windows XP in the low load level. At least that's what your screen shot of your wallpaper looks like.

I didn't pick low load mode because it's low load, I just didn't like the new rounded and larger menus and stuff.

But apparently although you used paint to do it you do not how to do simply editing with paint. I just did paint editing in Vista for a screenshot to make a present. Want me to post one and show you how its done!?

I used Paint Shop Pro to create the wallpaper and to save out the screen capture. I used GraphicConverter to reduce it down from 120k to 75k. Since I was trying to keep it legible, it's a tad wide.

Sheesh....way too FAT.

FAT as in file size or screen width?

Hmm...and it looks like you are working with multi-parition space because you desktop has icons running around on it that says either you are at college, you have way too many peripherials, and or you have paritioned your hard-drive.

Nope. I have three drives. An 80 Gig for the boot partition and two 300 Gig drives for my stuff and backups. I'm looking at a 2 TB network drive for backups mainly.

Not at college. Too many peripherals? The only peripherals is the scanner and the monitors. I have cords to plug in the Camcorder, Camera, and Cell Phones but they're not generally plugged in unless I'm retrieving something.

Well...Congrats! I went there too although I did not get to dorm on campus.

Let me check that bike picture.

You have command line prompt! Radical. Hope you can use it.

I'd hope so. I'm a Unix admin supporting Solaris, Tru64, HP-UX, and Red Hat Linux. I have three Sun boxes, two OpenBSD boxes, one Linux box, two Windows XP boxes, one Windows 98 Box, and a Mac Powerbook. Somewhere in there, command prompts are a good thing :)

Is that laptop carried around in that bike?

That'd explain alot.

Nope. I'm not a fan of dragging either laptop with me when I'm out traveling. I have my camera for the pics, iPod for music, cell phone so I can keep in contact, and camping gear.

Did you use the Wi-Fi from the kiddie playground in the back to send this humongous file!?

The file is hosted on my server and not here. So it doesn't affect this sites bandwidth. I'm considerate like that plus my server has a 200 Gig monthly cap. If you don't want to see the pics, you can just block pictures from the server assuming you're using a blocker with your browser.

Dude you are using "Paint Shop Pro" and this is the best you can do!?

Yeah gad!?

You only need paint..

See, here I'm not sure what you're referring to. "Best you can do"? You're going to have to explain what you mean. It's a simple screen capture. Nothing special.

Damn Carl that is some fine terrain. Well, I'll have to zoom out the screen... ctrl -

To see where the heck google map places you but I'll do that after UI most that reply because I am in a hurry...hope the Internet connection holds...

wait...save this

done

OK, that's in Accessories>WordPad

See, that's all stream of thought stuff. I'm in Colorado though if that helps :)

Dude, you know with a good bike helmet you can read an thin screen laptop in full glare, A LOT better. OK...

Probably. There are tank mounts so you can have a laptop up and running. Some of the IronButt riders do this and have a couple of GPS's running. But I think it's too distracting as it is so I'll just leave it home.

Well, the more screens the merrier huh!?

That's from somebody else whose face looks like a bird.

Well, Gryphon I do not think the more screens the merrier!!!

I intend to acess this place from more then home and when I do not have ten thousand hours or dollars.

So keep this laptop/ cell phone/ desktop/ mozilla/ linux/...

Keep it UNIVERSAL!!!

You can check your browser on your cell. Maybe it can be set to block graphics. As far as the rest, you should be able to retrieve a simple picture on any of the other systems you list. Even a laptop.

Heh how about them apples Ninjekto!? And I mean the guy that made the banner and is on this thread.

You mamaged to teach me "Universal" code.

I see that junk on the stores of staples all the time down.

Free-Jack are you shitting me!? That's your home rig!?

Man!

Yep. When you get older and the kids have moved out, there are usually a few extra bucks kicking around. So I can indulge a little. Especially since the LCD monitors were only $100 each from Tiger Direct.

Where do I meet people in my nieghborhood!?

You are like the Phoze from Happy Days, you are a Biker, you are COOL!!!

Did you forget how to use paint!?

Again, you'll need to explain what you are expecting? You have me honestly curious as to what the problem you're having is.

I nominate CARL, the Biker Dude, the Phonze...

you know the Phonze, "The Guy From Happy Days"

to make sure smucks don't post too big to this site.

It's a forum. The admin can turn off the ability to upload pictures (which this isn't), limit or resize images, or even prevent inline images. If it's a problem, you might bring it up with him.

He is using a keyboard he might have gotten from the 1980's

Actually the keyboard is from a 1987 IBM XT-286. Good eye there :) It's an IBM Model M keyboard. Nice and heavy and it has a great feedback. I bought a second one to replace the cheesy Dell one at work. I find the mushy keyboards don't provide enough response and I'm constantly missing or double entering keys.

He has cool glasses.

He is using PHP Hacks, MySQL etc as book props for his rigs.

He h as got space to run the entire board and more once he cleans out that bookshelf to the right.

Easily.

See, that's two opposites. The board is electronic and would have nothing to do with the books on the shelves. So your comments are a little existential :)

I say we give him some Razors Running Lamp Architecture as long as he runs the photos on th is board.

I do have a lot of photos on my web site. So when you see a picture that I've posted, there's a good chance it's actually hosted on my server and not uploaded to the site. But I don't think I need to run a photo site for general use. There are a few that are pretty good for that. Photo Bucket or Flickr come to mind but there are others.

I want that Muylsip!%@#$#hix guy taken care of.

When we need a Yenta like that taken care of, I say we talk to the Biker Dude.

Nah, I like Mulsiphix. :D

You Carl, are a Biker Dude. You are cool. Now just hit the JukeBox for us and make it run. That's what the Phonze could do.

Since I'm not riding a Harley any more, I'm not technically a "Biker". I've always been a "Rider" though. Even a "Motorcyclist" would be good :)

Hope you're having a good game.

Carl

Farcaster
02-29-2008, 06:11 PM
The file is hosted on my server and not here. So it doesn't affect this sites bandwidth. I'm considerate like that plus my server has a 200 Gig monthly cap. If you don't want to see the pics, you can just block pictures from the server assuming you're using a blocker with your browser.

Heh. I'm sure you know this already, but 140k isn't going to break the bank on our bandwidth, so you can feel free to upload the images as an attachment if you want. We have a 1.2TB per month limit, at the moment, which we aren't anywhere close to using up.

Actually the keyboard is from a 1987 IBM XT-286. Good eye there :) It's an IBM Model M keyboard. Nice and heavy and it has a great feedback.

Ooooh! I do remember those. Very nice. Very difficult to break, as opposed to the keyboards of today that I generally replace once every year or so.

Freejack
02-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Heh. I'm sure you know this already, but 140k isn't going to break the bank on our bandwidth, so you can feel free to upload the images as an attachment if you want. We have a 1.2TB per month limit, at the moment, which we aren't anywhere close to using up.

Yep, I'm sure it's not a problem either way. I post pics from my site so folks can ignore pictures from schelin.org. Makes it easier to filter me out :)

Ooooh! I do remember those. Very nice. Very difficult to break, as opposed to the keyboards of today that I generally replace once every year or so.

That one is from my old IBM XT so it's almost 20 years old and still going strong. The second one I bought from a site that sells old IBM keyboards. It cost $80 or so which is still cheaper than spending $10 a year for the past 20 years on keyboards :)

Carl

Jonathan Kwiat
02-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Yep, I'm sure it's not a problem either way. I post pics from my site so folks can ignore pictures from schelin.org. Makes it easier to filter me out :)

That one is from my old IBM XT so it's almost 20 years old and still going strong. The second one I bought from a site that sells old IBM keyboards. It cost $80 or so which is still cheaper than spending $10 a year for the past 20 years on keyboards :)

Carl

FreeJack, I simply don't understand the interface. I thought we were having a private conversation at one point and we weren't.

Now you gave a nuanced reply to a picture I can no longer even SEE!

And I think the quote of words I will no longer own will be there forever.

Fine, you posted a bunch of screen shots of your personal workspace and you run a Unix server from home.

Cool...

To me by the way, this is public space and I hold myself accountable to what I say in public. You want to, or the board changes the pictures you embed in your post then I have to change my post regardless of what you sent me via this boards 'private messages.'

I empty my own email box too, even though they offer me unlimited storage. I try to keep my room neat and my correspondence as well.

Keep it UNIVERSAL!!!

Heh how about them apples Ninjekto!? And I mean the guy that made the banner and is on this thread.

You managed to teach me "Universal" code.

Ummm...not yet.

Clicking my own hyperlink opens a tabbed browser windows in Internet Explorer that for some reason will not display the 'active content.'

I was priding myself on its legitability. Ah well...it ain't important its just suppose to look like its my page.

Freejack
02-29-2008, 10:31 PM
FreeJack, I simply don't understand the interface. I thought we were having a private conversation at one point and we weren't.

Interesting. I remember your first posts. It's new to me to find someone who hasn't used forums at all and don't even have a frame of reference on how they work. I'm admining a forum for my wife and there are few members that a forum is just foreign to and I really have to hold their hands on even where they are in the forum.

Now you gave a nuanced reply to a picture I can no longer even SEE!

I don't think I was nuanced on anything. I was replying honestly and without trying to be subtle in my answers. If there was subtly, it was unintentional.

At your private request, or at least observation that such pictures aren't good for lower tech systems or handhelds, I changed them from inline pictures to links to my site. Then if you wanted to see the picture, you could follow the link but it wouldn't be displayed automatically and you wouldn't be forced to block my site.

If handheld browser creators would honor the "handheld" tag (as I commented on above), it'd be so much easier for web site creators to come up with alternate displays so when you are using a cell phone, you can get a good experience.

All I know is that you had three screen shots running from left to right across my screen when I jacked into this place through a hyperlink given to me through gmail that ended up on this desktop via OutLook pop settings.

I can see your confusion. While I do have three screens, to Windows it's a single screen. When I did a screen capture, it created it as a single image. It looked like three separate images because I haven't been able to find a good three-screen wallpaper yet. But I saved the screen capture in PSP and that's what the link points to.

I clicked that and I was following this "thread"

So, I was amazed at your set-up and appalled at how much of if I could see by using the 'hotkeys CONTROL and hitting the + and - keys along with the scroll bar'

I don't want anybody to see this piece of junk I am using! And I thouhgt... well you wouldn't want me to be able to see what you are running either even though you are halfway across the country.

I don't mind seeing other peoples systems. My wife has two systems that are pretty old. A Gateway Celeron running Windows 98 and a Toshiba Laptop running XP but with only 8 megs of RAM. So even YouTube videos don't play well for her. But if I didn't want you to see my system, I wouldn't have posted images :)

That was just me typing out my stream of though because I had to leave my Desktop in a hurry.

No problem. I was just making an observation.

Carl

Jonathan Kwiat
02-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Well...you seem happy with it. I still will edit my own posts though.

nijineko
03-01-2008, 01:39 AM
I'm a Unix admin supporting Solaris, Tru64, HP-UX, and Red Hat Linux. I have three Sun boxes, two OpenBSD boxes, one Linux box, two Windows XP boxes, one Windows 98 Box, and a Mac Powerbook.

sniff sniff... argh! i need to get around to learning how to use *nix.

Jonathan Kwiat
03-02-2008, 12:17 PM
sniff sniff... argh! i need to get around to learning how to use *nix.

Those cool Dice they run in Unix right?

Why isn't their a distribution package that will run under Vista? There must be. Those Dice are too Universal...

Sorry off topic but lost of people seem to be reading this thread.

I am talking about Nijineko's great ability to set up OnlineGames and you don't have the hassles of system compatibility. That way when you roll the dice onscreen everybody sees it.

nijineko
03-03-2008, 10:52 PM
i'm still trying to get wget to do what i want. blasted syntax. or maybe it's just not the right tool.....