PDA

View Full Version : Need computer help, please

upidstay
02-18-2008, 06:36 PM
I recently dusted off my copy of Baldur's Gate II Shadows of Amn for the PC. It doesn't want to install. I have Vista (assuming that's the problem) on my Dell PC. I have way more than enough PC power to run the game, other games install just fine.

It recognizes the disc, but when I click the Install button, nothing happens. HEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!!:confused::confused::(:(

Freejack
02-18-2008, 06:45 PM
You might do a quick google search and see if someone's already found the problem and fixed it.

I know there's a compatibility mode in XP that lets you run older games as if they're Windows 95 or 98 (for example).

Carl

cplmac
02-18-2008, 07:27 PM
You didn't by chance have it stored close to something that has or had a magnetic field to it. Sometimes, this can erase a disk. Unfortunately, I had this happen once. It was totally accidental, since I didn't know that one of the items that was inside that box had a magnet inside it.

boulet
02-18-2008, 07:36 PM
It recognizes the disc, but when I click the Install button, nothing happens. HEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!!:confused::confused::(:(

When you say "nothing happens" you mean really nothing ? Not even the CD drive trying to access stuff again and again like a hamster trying to get rid of m&ms he stored in his cheeks ?

tesral
02-18-2008, 08:21 PM
I recently tried an install on the one windows machine I have. The program "required" Win 95, it runs XP so it wouldn't install. You may be having such a version problem. It's looking for "windows version of the day" and finding your machine has been downgraded to Vista

Riftwalker
02-18-2008, 08:26 PM
CDs aren't erased by magnets!

cplmac
02-18-2008, 08:41 PM
CDs aren't erased by magnets!

When upidstay said about dusting of something, I assumed that it was old and could have been on a 3 and 1/2 inch disk. Don't think that they were using the old 5 and 1/4 "floppy" disks by that time. Funny how they were all referred to as disks.

nijineko
02-19-2008, 04:45 AM
Funny how they were all referred to as disks.

well, they were! ever cut one open?

chances are that balder's gate game is dos based. if such is the case, then your last resort is to find an emulator for dos on vista. give dosbox (http://www.dosbox.com) a try.

upidstay
02-19-2008, 05:35 AM
Well, it's ancient by PC standards. It was published in 2000.

And by "Nothing happens" I mean, I get the standard sound effect from clicking on a button, and then then nuttin'.

nijineko
02-19-2008, 07:01 AM
have another computer and an old copy of windows?

Riftwalker
02-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Baldur's Gate 2 never came out on a floppy disks... it came out somewhere around 2000.

Freejack
02-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Ok then you might be able to run it in compatibility mode. I can show you the steps for XP. It might be the same for Vista.

Open the CD and find the installer. Right click on it and click on Properties. One of the tabs is "Compatibility", click that. There's a checkbox and a dropdown with a list of Windows programs; 95, 98/ME, NT 4.0, and 2000.

Once it's installed, you may need to find the Baldar's Gate executable as well and do the same steps for it to run.

Carl

cplmac
02-19-2008, 06:32 PM
well, they were! ever cut one open?

Yeah, I know there is a disc inside them. I was referring to the square shape of the outer casing.

I don't have Vista, so I'm not sure what the problem could be there.

upidstay
02-20-2008, 05:41 AM
:mad:I think I'm going to upgrade back to XP. Vista sucks. It has trouble with all of these really exotic programs, like Adobe Acrobat...:mad:

nijineko
02-20-2008, 06:14 AM
i don't think it runs mspaint either....

Jonathan Kwiat
02-20-2008, 07:58 PM
>

This was about my thoughts on computer emulation. We have people much better at giving advice on that here then me.

I'll help out my community if they need help but I am not expert on computers.

tesral
02-20-2008, 11:45 PM
:mad:I think I'm going to upgrade back to XP. Vista sucks. It has trouble with all of these really exotic programs, like Adobe Acrobat...:mad:

There is always Linux.

Jonathan Kwiat
02-21-2008, 10:00 AM
There is always Linux.

>Indeed it is the best option in my opinion but that's just my opinion about the matter.

MortonStromgal
02-21-2008, 12:20 PM
First thing I would check is permissions, make sure you have permission to install and run. Second I would try a compatibility mode. Baring that I would try dosbox or ubunutu. I know it works great in linux with wine but you should be able to use it in vista providing you have the permissions and can run compatibility mode.

cplmac
02-21-2008, 04:24 PM
I have heard alot of people complain about not being able to use programs that were not specifically made for Vista. Glad I don't have it. Another way around would be to have a whole second hard drive, if you have the ability to add an external hard drive. I'm not sure exactly how they did it, but I have had a couple people tell me that they set their's up so that when they "boot up" they have to choose which hard drive they are going to use. On one they have Vista, and on the other they have XP.

MortonStromgal
02-21-2008, 04:37 PM
I have heard alot of people complain about not being able to use programs that were not specifically made for Vista. Glad I don't have it. Another way around would be to have a whole second hard drive, if you have the ability to add an external hard drive. I'm not sure exactly how they did it, but I have had a couple people tell me that they set their's up so that when they "boot up" they have to choose which hard drive they are going to use. On one they have Vista, and on the other they have XP.

On your master boot record theres a program that points to what OSes you have. You can even have multiple XP set ups to pick from. In XP if you right click on my computer and go to properties then go to the Advanced tab and click the button for settings on startup and recovery you can edit your boot record. Then before windows loads it will ask you which OS you wish to load

tesral
02-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Well Phoenix I responded because you have a good point.

Codeweavers Crossover Linux (http://www.codeweavers.com/site/products/cxoffice?cw=051b2003624dc391ca44e9d8b18c05ba). WINE made easy.

Jonathan Kwiat
02-22-2008, 01:24 AM

I learned these things from wikipedia and specialty forums.

And I think its best if your are interested in this stuff to join a computer club or get involved with the real forums on these topics.

However, read on the advice is free...

upidstay
02-22-2008, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Going to try the Compatability option. Totally not worth an extra hard drive just to play a game, albeit a great classic. The rest of the options are frankly beyond my limited computer skills. I'm guessing my next best option is to just get rid of *&%$# Vista.

Jonathan Kwiat
02-22-2008, 07:06 AM
i don't think it runs mspaint either....

I am not venturing opinions on Operating Systems here anymore.

Linux is your best bet if you are going to take the time and deal with the inevitable problems, in my opinion.

tesral
02-22-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm guessing my next best option is to just get rid of *&%$# Vista.

I don't know anyone that has regretted dumping Vista.

cplmac
02-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Going to try the Compatability option. Totally not worth an extra hard drive just to play a game, albeit a great classic. The rest of the options are frankly beyond my limited computer skills. I'm guessing my next best option is to just get rid of *&%$# Vista.

I don't know anyone that has regretted dumping Vista.

I'm thinking that in about five years, there will be so much change in software that it might then be feasable to need Vista, since usually it seems that the software companies tend to make new product be mostly compatable with the latest OS.

nijineko
02-23-2008, 08:12 AM
hahahah. i actually use crossover, dar-wine, q-emu, vmware and a host of random console emulators, including dosbox.

i have no idea if dosbox runs under vista. i use the mac version so that i can play alleycat, spacequest, kings quest, simcity, starflight, master of magic, and mugen, among others.

well, vista is so bad, you almost need third-party software just to make your os compatible with your machine. =P

boulet
02-23-2008, 08:36 AM
master of magicTo me, this is a game that hasn't been equaled in term of game design and variety of valid strategies. But who cares about turn based video game nowadays :) ?

nijineko
02-23-2008, 10:54 AM
most people know him for his masters of orion series. ^^ i've always enjoyed the previous magic one. i also play deadlock II and a number of other turn-based games. allows tweaking that most rts don't permit.

Thayan
02-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Not specifically on topic... But I thought it funny that On my friends computer when he went to "Upgrade" to vista his anti-virus software registered it as a Virus...:)

nijineko
02-24-2008, 12:26 AM
absolutely. it is. and bloatware. and a number of other things....

tesral
02-24-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm thinking that in about five years, there will be so much change in software that it might then be feasable to need Vista, since usually it seems that the software companies tend to make new product be mostly compatable with the latest OS.

Which means something like suse 12 or 14.

Jonathan Kwiat
02-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Not specifically on topic... But I thought it funny that On my friends computer when he went to "Upgrade" to vista his anti-virus software registered it as a Virus...:)

It should have registered it as a Virus. The bootloader in windows Vista will reconstruct the MFT so two operating system run. Many anti-viral software programs lock those changes out and or label programs that attempt it as a virus.

Macs / Apples are just as buggy generally but most users will never see it that way. As far as I am concerned that's their loss and I weep no tears over the matter.

Freejack
02-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Macs / Apples are just as buggy generally but most users will never see it that way. As far as I am concerned that's their loss and I weep no tears over the matter.

I'm probably not one of the "most users", however the "problem" with Windows are all the third party hardware folks use. In 99 out of 100 cases, the BSoD that Windows is so well known for is a buggy hardware driver, typically in my experience, a video card.

Since Apple creates hardware and software, they have more control over the entire system and thus have less of an issue with BSoD type problems.

Less of a bug issue is that Mac's are a bit more secure which is one of the reasons I have one at home. That and it has a Unix backend and since I'm a Unix geek, I enjoy a nice user experience that's somewhat familiar and secure :)

Microsoft has an optimistic view of the world and sees everything in rose colored glasses. They just want everything to work together. Plug and play, Word talking to Excel, cell phone talking to your car, your car talking to you. They're big on user friendly, interoperability and backwards compatibility.

But because of this, security has been relegated to the back burner for many years. Windows installations were insecure by default and you had to secure your systems if you were aware or even knew how. Even that wasn't 100% since due to being backwards compatible, they had to continue to use insecure settings (such as LAN Manager 1.1) so folks who hadn't migrated from LanMan to NT, could still have users on the network during transition.

Microsoft is trying to get better but they have a big hurdle to get over. Millions of folks who are still on Windows 98 SE, NT 2000, and other older systems, will stay on them until their system breaks. My wife's Windows 98 SE system still works fine for what she wants to do. You're going to have a hard time forcing her to upgrade since that entails replacing everything that's currently working.

I like my Mac but I'm not an Apple Fanboy. But I'm not a Microsoft Fanboy either even though I like my XP box. Personally I use what works for me at the time and am careful when surfing the 'net. I do have to say that the Ford Cars with Microsoft installed is not a selling point to me :eek:

Carl

boulet
02-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Oh yeah ! A good old Mac vs PC flam thread :D It's been at least a year since I saw one on a forum ! Quick let's use our own forum lightning rod :

And what if we talked about Lizards and the number 4 instead ?

I don't understand the issue with bugs anyway... They're cute, they're friendly and they make life exciting (ok I'm making up excuses for my own bugs right now :))

Freejack
02-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Oh yeah ! A good old Mac vs PC flam thread :D It's been at least a year since I saw one on a forum ! Quick let's use our own forum lightning rod :

And what if we talked about Lizards and the number 4 instead ?

I don't understand the issue with bugs anyway... They're cute, they're friendly and they make life exciting (ok I'm making up excuses for my own bugs right now :))

I rolled a 17 for 4 points of damage.

:)

Carl

tesral
02-25-2008, 01:16 PM
I like my Mac but I'm not an Apple Fanboy. But I'm not a Microsoft Fanboy either even though I like my XP box. Personally I use what works for me at the time and am careful when surfing the 'net. I do have to say that the Ford Cars with Microsoft installed is not a selling point to me :eek:

Carl

Windows has uses. I have a Windows CD leveling a table.

OK, I'm a Linux fan. I looked at Macs, but when I learned you have to beg for the root password, I said no. If I don't have root, it is not my computer. Hardware cost is a limiting factor as well. When I can build a 2.8 gig one gig ram, Everything burner, 40 gig root drive and 400gig RAID 1 with a high end sound card machine for LESS than a mac mini, I don't understand why I should not.

Windows? Windows security is the best and strongest cyclone fence that can be built for flood control. (And as an added feature the neatly printed sign that reads "No water beyond this point".) Part of the problem is their own back doors so they can push their secret upgrades. (No tinfoil hat either, they did it last year. Screwed up a lot of machines too.)

The real customer is Hollyweird with all the DRM they keep pushing. All it does is make life difficult for the honest user, and deter the real pirates not in the least. I have yet to hear any Vista user praise it. The best I have heard is "It's not too bad". Glowing endorsement there.

I don't buy the hardware argument. I don't get crashes on PC hardware running Linux. My uptime is measured in months, with downs usually because I need to turn off the computer for some reason, not because it crashed. It really is a good idea to turn the machine off if you plan to clean the keyboard.

I'm an Ex-Windows user. Windows drove me to Linux.

boulet
02-25-2008, 01:41 PM
but when I learned you have to beg for the root password, I said no. If I don't have root, it is not my computer.I never heard of that ! It's hillarious, in the Kafka style of laugh... :)

Hardware cost is a limiting factor as well. When I can build a 2.8 gig one gig ram, Everything burner, 40 gig root drive and 400gig RAID 1 with a high end sound card machine for LESS than a mac mini, I don't understand why I should not.yeah the price of Apple products is a cold shower in general.

Part of the problem is their own back doors so they can push their secret upgrades.The fact that they have most of the users worldwide and not exactly the most security aware users isn't helping either.

The real customer is Hollyweird with all the DRM they keep pushing. All it does is make life difficult for the honest user, and deter the real pirates not in the least. I have yet to hear any Vista user praise it. The best I have heard is "It's not too bad". Glowing endorsement there.Trusted Computing is at our door... not only the software, but AMD and Intel are going with it too... Is there going to be any real alternative on the long run ?

I'm an Ex-Windows user. Windows drove me to Linux.So far only laziness and the fact I share my PC with my family has kept me from installing linux instead of windows. I guess when they make vista mandatory I'll have to be courageous a last :)

Freejack
02-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Windows has uses. I have a Windows CD leveling a table.

OK, I'm a Linux fan. I looked at Macs, but when I learned you have to beg for the root password, I said no. If I don't have root, it is not my computer.

I'd have to see that one. I've never had a problem with having root and can sudo to root whenever I want.

Hardware cost is a limiting factor as well. When I can build a 2.8 gig one gig ram, Everything burner, 40 gig root drive and 400gig RAID 1 with a high end sound card machine for LESS than a mac mini, I don't understand why I should not.Yep. It's one reason I've never had a Mac before. If not for some idiot Realtor, I probably still wouldn't have one.

We had our house up for sale. The guy (a Realtor) came by and made an offer. We accepted the offer. He said he didn't realize it didn't have central air (I guess the three Air Conditioners sticking out of the walls didn't clue him in), he wanted us to split the cost of installing it. We said nope. He tried to back out. We said nope, we have a contract. He said we can go to court. We said, "you're a Realtor, you made an offer and signed a contract, you knew better, we don't have any plans or job waiting for us so we have time, so we have you by the short hairs". So we took his deposit and with my half, I bought a Mac Powerbook.

I don't buy the hardware argument. I don't get crashes on PC hardware running Linux. My uptime is measured in months, with downs usually because I need to turn off the computer for some reason, not because it crashed. It really is a good idea to turn the machine off if you plan to clean the keyboard.Or upgrade the kernel :)

The difference is that the driver writers are engineers at the hardware company vs Linux fans who want the drivers to work. Since the HAL is in the kernel, a graphics bug can crash a Windows machine (not so much nowadays but in the past). That's less of a problem on a Linux box as you have experienced.

I'm an Ex-Windows user. Windows drove me to Linux.For the record, I use Windows XP, 98 SE (for old games), OS X, OpenBSD 3.7 and 3.9, Solaris 7, 8, 9, and 10 (haven't installed 11 yet) and Mandrake 9.2 (I think; it's been a while since I've checked). And that's just at home. Since I'm a Unix admin by profession, I use (or have used) Tru64, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Red Hat, SuSE, Irix, and FreeBSD.

I use Windows. But it's behind a Linux firewall :)

Carl

tesral
02-26-2008, 09:31 AM
So we took his deposit and with my half, I bought a Mac Powerbook.

Gee, no one offers me free money. Some people get all the luck.

For the record, I use Windows XP, 98 SE (for old games), OS X, OpenBSD 3.7 and 3.9, Solaris 7, 8, 9, and 10 (haven't installed 11 yet) and Mandrake 9.2 (I think; it's been a while since I've checked). And that's just at home. Since I'm a Unix admin by profession, I use (or have used) Tru64, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Red Hat, SuSE, Irix, and FreeBSD.

I use Windows. But it's behind a Linux firewall :)

The best way is in a locked faraday cage.

I started with Amiga and sill use it, as a result I never loved windows, I barely tolerate it. I mainly run various flavors of Suse. I've played with Debian, Kubuntu, and a few others. The only thing I administer is my home network which is peer to peer. We don't have a server, or really need one.

Freejack
02-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Gee, no one offers me free money. Some people get all the luck.

Luck? Hell I was pissed. He was the highest of 6 or 8 offers and quite a bit more than we expected. All the other offers were turned down. Our real estate lady was pushing us to accept his offer and make the change to the house. We filed a complaint with her company and with the BBB because she seemed to be on his side and not ours. We made her open the house up for offers again and we got a couple of offers, one of which was as high as the first guys so we accepted but if it had been below, we were considering suing for the difference.

That wasn't luck. That was an aggravation fee.

The best way is in a locked faraday cage.

I started with Amiga and sill use it, as a result I never loved windows, I barely tolerate it. I mainly run various flavors of Suse. I've played with Debian, Kubuntu, and a few others. The only thing I administer is my home network which is peer to peer. We don't have a server, or really need one.

I started with a Sinclair with 2k of RAM :)

One of the OpenBSD boxes is in Florida. My local system stays on and pulls backups from the Florida box. I also make changes to my web sites on the local system and push changes out to Florida. So the local box contains all the info that's on the remote box. Last summer when the drive bailed, I was able to restore the websites without a loss of data (it took a week to push it all back up though :) ).

Carl

tesral
02-26-2008, 05:24 PM
One of the OpenBSD boxes is in Florida. My local system stays on and pulls backups from the Florida box. I also make changes to my web sites on the local system and push changes out to Florida. So the local box contains all the info that's on the remote box. Last summer when the drive bailed, I was able to restore the websites without a loss of data (it took a week to push it all back up though :) ).

Carl

The three most imporant words in computing: Backup, backup, backup.

cplmac
02-27-2008, 03:09 PM
The three most imporant words in computing: Backup, backup, backup.

Gee, why would you want to do that?:rolleyes: Had a guy not make a backup copy of the system software when he bought a computer from me (back when I sold them for a job I had for 10 months). One of his kids formatted his hard drive.

tesral
02-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Gee, why would you want to do that?:rolleyes: Had a guy not make a backup copy of the system software when he bought a computer from me (back when I sold them for a job I had for 10 months). One of his kids formatted his hard drive.

Poor baby. :D

I'm a fairly rigorus up-backer. Then again running Linux even if I had kids they couldn't do that.

boulet
02-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Poor baby. :D

I'm a fairly rigorus up-backer. Then again running Linux even if I had kids they couldn't do that.
You mean you feel protected against the good old fdisk on a floppy disk ? If there is a will, there is a way :)

Farcaster
02-27-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm thinking that in about five years, there will be so much change in software that it might then be feasable to need Vista.

By the time they phase out Windows XP, there will probably be another version of Windows beyond Vista. Windows ME was a piece of junk too, and I skipped that entire edition going straight from 98 to XP. I'll probably similarly jump over Vista if they don't get the bugs worked out of it.

tesral
02-28-2008, 01:28 PM
You mean you feel protected against the good old fdisk on a floppy disk ? If there is a will, there is a way :)

You need a floppy for that to work.

Frankly, if someone has physical possession of your computer they can do as they please. Tools exist to get around any local security.

That said most kids do not have a floppy with fdisk on it or now how to use it. Linux however keeps them in their limited user space. They don't have permission to format anything.

nijineko
02-29-2008, 12:52 AM
"boot disk" ;D

Jonathan Kwiat
02-29-2008, 06:28 PM
> This whole post is not necessary.

It was a post that got automatically consolidated by the System Admin because it felt I couldn't talk coherently to the thread.

I got no use for that.

It was all tech stuff anyway.

If people post completely in 7 point html transition and think its a gag because they want to label this thread not useful that's there business.

I ain't gonna police the Internet or Use-Groups.

Farcaster
02-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Don't you dare shout out me with big Frickin FONTS!!!

That's just plain hostile. You don't want to participate in a flame thread that's your bee's-wax.

I am pretty sure Boulet was just trying to be funny--not shout at anyone. Also, please try to consolidate your posts by using the multi-quote feature.

cplmac
02-29-2008, 07:35 PM
By the time they phase out Windows XP, there will probably be another version of Windows beyond Vista. Windows ME was a piece of junk too, and I skipped that entire edition going straight from 98 to XP. I'll probably similarly jump over Vista if they don't get the bugs worked out of it.

How's this for a jump. I went from using Windows 3.11 (on that 386sx) to Windows XP. I'm just glad we got a new computer before they came out with Vista.

nijineko
03-01-2008, 11:13 AM
that is a big jump!

tesral
03-03-2008, 10:16 AM
How's this for a jump. I went from using Windows 3.11 (on that 386sx) to Windows XP. I'm just glad we got a new computer before they came out with Vista.

And you lived? Duuuude.... :eek:

cplmac
03-03-2008, 10:13 PM
And you lived? Duuuude.... :eek:

It took some nosing around to get to know where everything was located and grouped, but it wasn't that hard to get used to. Had to get the new computer to be able to not have to go pay someone to do the tax return, when I can do it myself for free. Of course, my kid brother was on my case for a decade to get a new computer that would have internet access.

nijineko
03-04-2008, 02:54 AM
win3.1 can get on the internet... if you have the hardware. so can dos, for that matter. ^^

tesral
03-04-2008, 09:26 AM
win3.1 can get on the internet... if you have the hardware. so can dos, for that matter. ^^

It can do it,. it ain't pretty. I haven't used a modem in over a decade.

My first internet connection was a Win3.11 box. I was doing local BBS long before that and even ran one for a while. DOS box running TAG.

cplmac
03-04-2008, 09:51 AM

That's the trick. Had no modem for the old computer. Besides, now I'm not sure if that slow of a modem would even work with the servers that are being used now.

tesral
03-04-2008, 07:32 PM
That's the trick. Had no modem for the old computer. Besides, now I'm not sure if that slow of a modem would even work with the servers that are being used now.

You can use any speed modem the hardware serial port supports. It had better be a moden with a full Rockwell chipset however. A WinModem is nothing more than an 8bit sound card and a "driver" program that emulates the Rockwell chipset in the CPU. A 386 would lock up harder than Levanworth trying to emulate a 56k modem and run windows.

Modern CPUs can pull it off, juggle and do the dishes at the same time. That is why no one notices the cycle suck of a WinModem.

Sigh ... I yanked the WinModem when I recased the computer several years ago. I didn't bother to put it back becase I haven't used dialup since 2000. I don't have a Linux driver for that beast in any case (I think I threw it out). I don't even know how to set up a modem in Linux. I've never done it. Hopefully I'll never have to. I love broadband.

The 486 lasted from '95 to 2000. It was still working when we took it down for a faster machine so we could have broadband. Robust beast. I miss it sometimes. I beat my head on the wall and that feeling stops. I don't miss Win 3.11 or 95 in the least. At least the carcass of the old 486 soldiers on. it's the SCSI box for my Amiga 4000.

nijineko
03-06-2008, 08:56 AM
nice! =D recycle!

cplmac
03-06-2008, 02:47 PM
You can use any speed modem the hardware serial port supports. It had better be a moden with a full Rockwell chipset however. A WinModem is nothing more than an 8bit sound card and a "driver" program that emulates the Rockwell chipset in the CPU. A 386 would lock up harder than Levanworth trying to emulate a 56k modem and run windows.

If I remember right, there was a 14.4 modem that was available for it. There was also a 28.8 but it would run like molasass in January.

tesral
03-07-2008, 06:51 AM
nice! =D recycle!

Waste not, want not.

If I remember right, there was a 14.4 modem that was available for it. There was also a 28.8 but it would run like molasass in January.

I never had a 386. My slowest PC was a 486 40, an AMD beast that ran the Old Phoenix Inn from 1995 thorugh 1997. It was ever DOS only. The 486 was an intel 486DX 66. We had a 38.8 modem on it when we transitioned to broadband and Half A Beast a Pentium 2 333.

Moved to Gate a 1.8 gig pentium 4 in '03. I'm still using that computer much upgrqaded and improved with Linux among other things. Not being a computer gamer is a great help in not spending money on speed upgrades and the latest video card.

boulet
03-07-2008, 06:56 AM
Talking of waste. Where I live there's no specific program that I know of to recover old computers. Still we know they have there share of toxic elements inside. Is there any such program where you live ?

nijineko
03-09-2008, 12:16 AM
yes there is, but usually you have to take them to the location yourself.

my (dad's) oldest computer was an actrix, then a vic20. unless you count the computer that my dad build from scratch... ^^

Freejack
03-09-2008, 09:07 AM
The EPA has a bunch of suggestions.

http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/hazwaste/recycle/ecycling/donate.htm

In Connecticut:
http://www.crra.org/pages/recy_electronics.htm

That's from a quick google search.

Carl

Jonathan Kwiat
03-09-2008, 11:37 AM
The EPA has a bunch of suggestions.

http://www.epa.gov/epaoswer/hazwaste/recycle/ecycling/donate.htm

In Connecticut:
http://www.crra.org/pages/recy_electronics.htm

That's from a quick google search.

Carl

Great tip, seriously. Hope you saved it in a text document so you can repost it to a new thread.

Be Well,

Jonathan