PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Point (PEACH)

Aleolus
02-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Heh, I'm a fan of Ranma 1/2, and so here's a feat I came up with that Ryoga most definitely has.

Breaking Point
Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Improved Sunder, Blind-Fight, Eagle Claw Strike
Benefit: You have learned how to make precision attacks against objects, enabling you to strike them for great damage. You may spend one daily use of your Stunning Fist ability to make a special touch attack against an object of any sort. That object is destroyed, as per the Shatter spell. If the object is magical in nature, such as an enchanted sword, an animated object, or a construct, it receives a Fortitude save against this effect, with the normal DC for your Stunning Fist. This ability cannot be used on living creatures of any sort, nor Outsiders, Elementals or Undead, however it can be used on Constructs. When used on a Construct, that construct takes 1d6 points of damage per 2 class levels of the individual striking them (max of 10d6), with a Fortitude save for half.
Special: A Fighter may select Breaking Point as a Fighter Bonus Feat.
Special: A Monk may select Breaking Point as his sixth-level bonus feat, even if he doesn't normally meet the prerequisites

Maelstrom
02-18-2008, 05:37 PM
No idea what or who Ranma is, but this feat sounds pretty cool! So are the limits the same as those imposed by the shatter spell (weight of item, etc)? If so, what is the caster level... 1/2 the class level as suggested by the Construct damage?

The 1 per day use and stunning fist reduction make this a fairly balanced feat, it seems.

Aleolus
02-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Well, I just named Shatter as an example of something with a similar effect. There really aren't any limits to the size of the object you can destroy with this, you just have to succeed on a Touch attack against it. If it's magical in nature (magic item, construct, etc), it gets a Fort save, at the usual DC for your Stunning Fist. Constructs simply take damage, half on a successful save, magic items are destroyed on a failed save, no effect on a successful one.

Also, it's not once per day. You simply use one daily use of your Stunning Fist to use it. So if you can do 3 Stunning Fists per day, then you can use this feat 3 times per day. You choose which to use before using it.

Maelstrom
02-19-2008, 05:18 AM
So you can break a building? What happens if you smack a dungeon wall? A general collapse?

With this info, it's sounding a little more unbalanced :). Hefty requirements to get it, but still...

Out of curiosity, why the blind-fight requisite?

nijineko
02-19-2008, 07:08 AM
you do realize that you have to make a special prerequisite, right? must have survived the training process of getting smacked with 2-ton boulders repeatedly over the course of several weeks, while being bound so tightly that you have only a single forefinger free to strike the boulder with.

all the techniques from the anime/manga ranma nibun no ichi should really be three level prestiges, in my opinion. after all, ryouga got "DR/bludgeoning" from his training, while ranma got "DR/ranged and piercing" from his counter training. hard to justify all that in a feat. ^^

also this was only supposed to work on rocks and earth. not metal. i would model it after the sundering rules, in general, except you get a shrapnel side effect.

Aleolus
02-19-2008, 12:12 PM
So you can break a building? What happens if you smack a dungeon wall? A general collapse?

With this info, it's sounding a little more unbalanced :). Hefty requirements to get it, but still...

Out of curiosity, why the blind-fight requisite?

Well the feat allows you to open your inner eye to see the single point where all the stresses inherant in an object collect, which you can then strike to cause serious structural collapse or weakening. I figured one of the Blind- feats would be appropriate.

Aleolus
02-23-2008, 01:23 PM
you do realize that you have to make a special prerequisite, right? must have survived the training process of getting smacked with 2-ton boulders repeatedly over the course of several weeks, while being bound so tightly that you have only a single forefinger free to strike the boulder with.

all the techniques from the anime/manga ranma nibun no ichi should really be three level prestiges, in my opinion. after all, ryouga got "DR/bludgeoning" from his training, while ranma got "DR/ranged and piercing" from his counter training. hard to justify all that in a feat. ^^

also this was only supposed to work on rocks and earth. not metal. i would model it after the sundering rules, in general, except you get a shrapnel side effect.

Actually, I see Ranma's training as giving him an insane Dodge bonus to his AC, rather than DR. Remember, it wasn't him getting so he could ignore getting stung, "If you can stun the bee's without getting stung, you'll be safe from the Breaking Point". He doesn't reduce damage at all, he just gets out of the way.

nijineko
02-24-2008, 12:39 AM
ah, i'd forgotten that bit of dialogue. ^^ thanks for the reminder. i would say a parry bonus to ac, however, rather than a dodge bonus. or perhaps a special attack of opportunity chain class feature similar to great cleave, that applies to swarms (and shrapnel).

also, have you taken a look at the iajutsu mechanic in oriental adventures? just curious.

Aleolus
02-24-2008, 03:35 AM
Unfortunately, no. I don't have access to the Oriental Adventure books, so I can't read up on the stuff in them very well

nijineko
02-24-2008, 03:54 AM
ah, i see. the iajutsu mechanic is an object breaking mechanic just for those types of things. it can be used on just about any unattended object, if i recall correctly. i don't happen to remember if it can be used on attended objects. in any case, it is a skill check, the better your check, the better your bonus damage to the object. it mentions in the oriental adventures book that iajutsu focus is how martial artists break inanimate objects.