PDA

View Full Version : Can I have a Sticky on Best Practices on How to Use This Board?

Jonathan Kwiat
02-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Look, first I recognize that a Sticky on Best Practices on how to use this Board has probably been done ad-nauseum.

Fine Mea Culpa. No flames thank you m'am just redirect me and I gone.

<Now for some Sarcasm>

And Yes I am sure this is using Unix/Open Source/ MySql/ PHP under some sort of LAMP archecture running on razor servers in some warehouse with air-conditioning running right next to MySpace servers that are not running 1/1000th as good as this.

I freakin hate MySpace, FaceBook and the reast simply because it won't get me what I want. A community I want and people that want to talk about certain things I like.

As I am an old man, 34, and played with bulletin boards when I was Kid not doubt I am simply hopelessly confused. I am just like my Dad now, he goes to the 'icebox' meaning the refrigerator looking for icecubes not in the freezer which has the icecubes and is part of the whole refrigerator apparatus.

<End Sarcasm>

Have community has inspeak. I speak roleplaying though so please lets have a sticky so I can find people I want.

All that Sarcasm is for people I do not want to interview in person for games or creating a game anyway.

See ya,

Jonathan S. Kwiat

rabkala
02-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Well, Johnathan, join the site and enter your information honestly. Look in the player registry and campaign invitations to find local games and players. Join the discussions on the boards if you like. Check back regularly for new games and players.

There is no trick to it. Past that, I am not sure what you want from that post. If 34 is old, myself and many others around here are ancient. I didn't use a computer until I was in my 20's, didn't get online until 2000, and have never used any of the 'kid' sites. Does that help you at all?

boulet
02-18-2008, 08:47 AM
I read words but didn't understand anything. What is this thread about ?

Jonathan Kwiat
02-18-2008, 08:49 AM
My sarcasm is really because I feel like a fool using some of this internet social networking software.

I just got home Saturday for my friends that I made during my two year game. You know what my former DM of that game was talking about, among other things?

How much he loves Role-Playing games how he wants to start a new game when version 4 comes out of D&D and...

how much a newlywed he still is.

I need to help him out, if the game he starts is to continue.

Here is the place to start that. To start my own game in earnest and also to help him find players.

He really hates computers...

Be Well,

Jonathan S. Kwiat

Jonathan Kwiat
02-18-2008, 08:51 AM
I need advice how how to use this board properly.

I need to know how to find players in my community that I can meet face to face.

I need to learn how to use Outlook Email Client so I can screen out people that are just not relevant to me.

boulet
02-18-2008, 09:04 AM
I need to learn how to use Outlook Email Client so I can screen out people that are just not relevant to me.

You already lost me on this one. If you're weary of spammers and other obnoxious emails you have many options to toy with. It starts here :

http://membres.lycos.fr/boulet00/pnpg/user.PNG

One of them is to refuse incoming emails from other members, so you can limit interactions to the forum only Private Messages.

It looks like you should start a thread in the sub forum : Campaign Invitation. People will ask details about the campaign and you guys will be able to have an idea of the potetial candidates. Have fun !

Mulsiphix
02-18-2008, 05:30 PM
For finding players the Player Registry (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/memberlist.php) is an invaluable tool and for recruiting players as a DM the Campaign Invitations (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17) forum is perfect. Please join us in on any of the various topics being discussed in the forums. For best results taking the initiative to contact players in your area should greatly increase your chances of finding others to game with. Many players are in groups that have openings but since they aren't the GM they don't go out of their way to recruit new players for the game.

http://aycu17.webshots.com/image/45776/2002546172699530457_rs.jpg

To access the Player Registry you need to click on the link provided in this websites toolbar (as seen below). Click on it and select the option that best suits your needs:

Find Players: This will allow you to search this websites database of players. These players may or may not be what you are looking for. Unfortunately there are no advanced features that allow you to define, down to the last detail, what you are looking for in a player. I don't think such a search would be that useful. Many players make their profile the day they join and don't come back to the website. They merely register so they can be found by future people who are looking for players. This being the case their profile can be outdated and may not accurately portray what they are currently interested in playing.

I recommend using this option and contacting every single person that is within the distance you are willing to travel. If you plan on hosting a game of your own I would not pay attention to the "distance willing to travel" in other players profiles. Again this information may not be accurate any longer and they may be willing to travel the distance to play with you.

Find Games: Game Masters can use this website to advertise games they are currently playing or games they will be starting soon. Click on this link to browse through all of the available games in your area.

Online Games: Game Masters who host games online can also advertise on this website. This is just like the Find Games section but is limited to games that are only hosted online.

This sums up finding players and games using this website. If you have any questions on how to use the forum or any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask them. I will do my best to answer them with images and plenty of details :p

Jonathan Kwiat
02-18-2008, 10:27 PM
You already lost me on this one. If you're weary of spammers and other obnoxious emails you have many options to toy with. It starts here :

http://membres.lycos.fr/boulet00/pnpg/user.PNG

One of them is to refuse incoming emails from other members, so you can limit interactions to the forum only Private Messages.

It looks like you should start a thread in the sub forum : Campaign Invitation. People will ask details about the campaign and you guys will be able to have an idea of the potetial candidates. Have fun !

Ummm....Actually you telling me I lost you with "Outlook Client" tells me how much an anal dweeb I was being with this site.

I use Microsoft Outlook as my Email Client on my Desktop to manage my email accounts and organize a lot of my life as well. Its just convient for me. But I could see that my settings were messing up the boards attempts to contact me.

I think I have fixed that.

I changed my default email contact for this board, and confirmed it as well as opening up my privacy options.

This Board is running sanely and not flooding me with all sorts of "updates."

Anyway thank you for the "You lost me..."

Be Well,

Jonathan

nijineko
02-19-2008, 04:16 AM
and as far as finding people goes... this site is about as close to eharmony for gamers as any we've seen around the net. =D we'll work with you, never fear!

Jonathan Kwiat
02-19-2008, 11:38 AM
and as far as finding people goes... this site is about as close to eharmony for gamers as any we've seen around the net. =D we'll work with you, never fear!

Chuckle, I believe you.

Know why?

1) I found this board through that Mega Portal at WotC

2) I just tried Googling that tag line of you and found...

you or versions of you in the right places. (GRIN)

But no alas in NY.

nijineko
02-19-2008, 10:29 PM
googling my tag line...? wow, i never thought of that. ^^ i'm going to have to try it now, just to see what comes up.

edit: interesting! ^^ of course, i imagine that most translator engines will choke on romanized japanese.... especially since it's not a japanese phrase in the first place. =D

Mulsiphix
02-20-2008, 02:44 AM
Yeah I tried it when you first joined up here. That is I tried numerous online translation websites. Nothing could do it :o

Jonathan Kwiat
02-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Well, yes you need to understand a little about how the search engine you are using works but...

Well, I figured you post things Nijineko. Posting at forums gets noticed by search engines generally and they TRY to index that stuff.

It can be a great cat and mouse game because the forum needs us to visit this place not see everything through Search Engine Frames like you often see pictures when you do Google Image Searches.

But. Well, when someone goes out of there way to use... I do not know what that stuff is. On some of that stuff that showed up you actually explain what you mean by what to me is gibberish.

It almost looked like Engrish or Japanese in English maybe mixed with Elf from the Tolkien board. Who knows? This question should only be of interest and discovered by search Engines through your cyberstalking significant others.

I hope for your sake if it happens they do not remain significant for much longer else you clue them in on what you are doing with your "spare" time.

You made yourself unique and associated yourself with a board.

Search Engines know about boards, dude or dudette.

I try to make myself easy to find these days. It will be easy enough to make myself harder to find via search engines should that become a pressing matter in my life.

Thankfully, although I have a professional life it does not involve pleasing people in ways that talking about D&D is going to matter.

Be Excellent to one another! ~Stupid Movie

Jonathan

Mulsiphix
02-20-2008, 08:08 AM
<b> But </b> Well, when someone goesHTML tags don't work here. The forum actually uses VB Code. For more information on what tags are supported read this (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode) :p

Jonathan Kwiat
02-20-2008, 09:01 AM
HTML tags don't work here. The forum actually uses VB Code. For more information on what tags are supported read this (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode) :p

I will, thanks. I am trying to post something here. I hope it will be amusing but I am running into technical difficulties that this tip addresses.

Please tell me you are amused when I post it, privately.

HTML tags don't work here. The forum actually uses VB Code. For more information on what tags are supported read this (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode) :p

Alright, that was definitely something I needed to know about given the way I post.

Now do you know in response to this:

The ability to use vB Code is set on a forum-by-forum basis by the administrator, so you should check the forum rules when you post a new message.

If I can code in hard returns via a find and replace using these "vB" codes?

I am using wordpad right now to store the post.

Be Well,

Jonathan

They let use PHP codes?

Are they insane?

>Turns out they don't people! Thank you. Sanity.

I vote that when this place stops running we all stop using PHP not even some weird WordPress Hybrid. -Word Press is Open Source Blogging software

kipling
02-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi, Jonathan, from an equally big neophyte.

I'm trying to figure out how, should I be interested, I would post a play-by-post campaign invitation and I just realized I haven't read page 2 of this thread. Okay. Just a second.

All right. It might be as simple as posting in the correct forum, or it might not, and I'm leery of trying without meaning it. So a sticky would be helpful for me as well.

Jonathan Kwiat
02-20-2008, 09:30 AM
OK, when this board stops running, if it does it will be because we all made it too expensive.

I am sure I'll figure out how to import the formatting I want via Dreamweaver. That's my portal as of now to manage my server space wherver the heck that machine resides.

> Please note Open Source Web Editors that run on your own machine not only exist they can also be download via search engines.

Many people helped me out on this thread and I say thank you my brothers and sisters but it is time to let this fall off the bottom of the server.

The link from Mulshiphix will give me all I need, enventually.

Mulsiphix
02-20-2008, 04:25 PM
I hope it will be amusing but I am running into technical difficulties that this tip addresses. Please tell me you are amused when I post it, privately.If you have any specific questions please feel free to post them here or drop me a PM. I'm more than happy to help you get your document looking how you want it. Once you do post the document I'll be sure to let you know if I liked it via PM as you requested.

If I can code in hard returns via a find and replace using these "vB" codes?There is no need to code in hard returns. Simply hit the enter key and it adds a new line. Add as many new lines as you see fit. Unlike HTML the forum post editor will pick up all the "blank space" you care to throw its way ;)

They let use PHP codes?They do not let you use PHP codes. HTML isn't even allowed. BBCodes are formatting tags that are built into the forum. If a BBCode cannot accomplish the task you want, then you cannot accomplish said task.

file://E:\2-19-08-By-JSK-ThePieceOnMilesObreinDS.rtf (file://E:%5C2-19-08-By-JSK-ThePieceOnMilesObreinDS.rtf)This linke will not work becuase you are linking to a file on your hard drive. You will need to upload the file to the internet and link to it there or copy and paste the information in that file into a post on this forum. Again I would be happy to help you accomplish this if you wanted to send me the file directly.

nijineko
02-21-2008, 02:14 AM
unless you want to turn on file sharing to your computer and turn off every protection your computer has.... ^^ which, for the record, i am NOT recommending. better just upload it to a host somewhere, or get a server program like kdx.

Jonathan Kwiat
02-22-2008, 08:58 AM
unless you want to turn on file sharing to your computer and turn off every protection your computer has.... ^^ which, for the record, i am NOT recommending. better just upload it to a host somewhere, or get a server program like kdx.

Sure....

I'll just enable all scripting on my local machine, disble all the firewalls-

Professional FireWall Free Ware
Windows FireWall
Router Fire-Wall or rather port forwarding services
Then there are those PEOPLE

Those PEOPLE at Verizon,

yes yes yes... I must definitely bypass the PPPoPe session.

<grin>

Nah, I'll look at the blinkin lights on my router, use my own server space and do my best.

Now, I have all green on my Router except for the USB connection as I do not have that set up.

<GRIN>

nijineko
02-22-2008, 02:11 PM
you did change the default password to your router, didn't you? ;D

Jonathan Kwiat
02-22-2008, 03:25 PM
you did change the default password to your router, didn't you? ;D

Of course, what sort of maniac fo you take me for?

For some reason the internet connection goes red when I run certain apps but not with all the operating systems. The router is losing the ISP but renews as soon as I dial home to the router.

Ah Well, nothing is perfect in this life and it is a minor annoyance right now. I'll figure it out when I have to. Honestly I just want to upgrade my service a little and get a new router. One with wireless capability and encryption package installed.

I hate leeching peoples Wi-Fi or them leeching me by accident.

Jonathan Kwiat
02-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Look, first I recognize that a Sticky on Best Practices on how to use this Board has probably been done ad-nauseum.

Do you know this place post is still applicable to me?

I can't use this board.

"All the time I am getting, I don't understand you!"

And some of the suggestions I am getting for clarity would just make things more unclear.

The posts I get from Farcaster are almost...

you ain't using the board's software enough, there is no board software, you ain't using the board's software enough.

Very Helpful.

All I know is I type into a little box surrounded on all sides by very colorful smilies, icons for the entire thread, and whatever...

Your basic font options, HTML like code for various text sizes. Text color. Hyperlink editing...

Whatever...This is Friday Night and I have to finish some stuff.

This is THE BEST board for roleplaying games? For pen and paper games?

OK, I'll believe that. Unfortuntately I do. I was in the City this week at the Compleat Stratgeist talking to a man that had played board games his entire life.

He played on the Internet, off the Internet, he knew all about the first edition of the game "Paranoia" etc...

well I could mention this site and I never will with the gentleman because I do not want to lose his respect should he remember me when I next meet him. He actually goes to Neutral Ground, is friends with those people...

I ain't sticking no banners on any gear of mine from this place.

I am supposed to believe this place isn't MySpace? Yeah, so far I can't see any options for CSS code. That's different. WOW.

No, you can't please everybody but I do not like being remonstrated on a thread that can be searched by Google, upon which I append my real name to every post...

I don't understand you from the board's Admin.

OK. OK... and he doesn't understand what best practices are in computer theory, communication theory, usenet theory, or whatever...

well...good.

I think I want to be a lurker on this board again. I was for over a year.

Riftwalker
03-01-2008, 12:24 AM
I find it amusing that you can lurk on these boards for over a year and even start threads (like this one!) and post responses but claim that you can't use this board. Given all the help that's already been posted in this thread, what is so difficult? Creating and editing posts on this board is a fairly standard process. Most forums work the same way. The editor's even a WYSIWYG if you don't want to deal with BBCodes.

I find curious that (based on your previous post) you're clearly not a fan of these boards. Or are you? You've lurked here for over a year. What kept you coming back, hmm?

And I also find it amusing that--in light of your self-proclaimed difficulty with the forums (and with computing/networking technology in general)--you can presume to judge whether the administrators or anyone else on this board understand the best practices of computing and communication theory. Seems at best misguided and at worst insulting, don't you think?

Farcaster
03-01-2008, 12:31 AM
Jonathan,

I don't think anyone is trying to offend you. Certainly, I'm not. But, you are difficult to understand. That has nothing to do with the forums or best practices for using the forums. It is a simple matter of your style of communication.

First, in typical English, most people use paragraphs to group ideas and related sentences together. It is highly atypical for someone to start a new paragraph for every sentence. That in and of itself makes your message harder to read for most people. Don't get me wrong, I'm not with the grammar police or anything. How you write is how you write, but you should be aware that it is somewhat difficult to follow.

The other thing that I have noticed is that your posts typically seem like a straight brain dump. As others have already mentioned, I too find it difficult to follow your train of thought on many posts. Even with this last post, you make some references that I don't quite get. Such as, "you ain't using the board's software enough, there is no board software, you ain't using the board's software enough." This is totally coming from left field for me. I have no idea of what you could be paraphrasing there.

In any case, the bottom line is that I don't think anyone is trying to offend you. We just have a hard time understanding what you are saying because either you have an unusual written communication style or perhaps you aren't a native speaker -- or both?

nijineko
03-01-2008, 01:26 AM
so... what are you trying to accomplish with this board that you cannot, johnathan?

Jonathan Kwiat
03-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Hi, Jonathan, from an equally big neophyte.
I'm trying to figure out how, should I be interested, I would post a play-by-post campaign invitation and I just realized I haven't read page 2 of this thread. Okay. Just a second.
All right. It might be as simple as posting in the correct forum, or it might not, and I'm leery of trying without meaning it. So a sticky would be helpful for me as well.

Yeah Kipling...I feel you.

All I can say is you are just going to have to get experienced with your approach to the board and just treat certain people as if they were on the other side of the ocean...ignore them.

I have found certain people are smart enough to say "I don't understand you on this board when what they mean is..."

"I don't want to take the TIME to understand you so please type more and edit your posts."

Be Well - Jonathan

Jonathan,

The other thing that I have noticed is that your posts typically seem like a straight brain dump.

Ah you mean like a Core Dump? You mean I write like Neal Stephenson "In the Beginning Was the Command Line Interface?"

Well, for what's it worth here is what I have noticed about Farcaster posts. Farcaster Posts show up like Farcaster is flying all over the country and doesn't live in a time zone.

They are also super-responsive in weird ways.

When my router goes down and I do not notice it you Farcaster posts act like I mean for what gets posted to look that way.

Anyway I never liked Gandalf, so forgive me these little snipes back at you, Farcaster the Grey. I hate your Avatar Picture. That's petty but is is TRUE. I hate Farcaster's Avatar picture but is has gottsa stay that way else I might not notice the Grey Wizard is talking to ME. Most of Gandlaf's jibber jabber can be ignored by everybody involved in the Quest to Destroy the Ring of Power but every once in awhile the man screams something useful at Frodo. Most of the time though he is sitting there and muttering to himself.

If I was Frodo, I take a long look at Gandalf, I'd have to look up because that creature was 7 feet tall and then I'd say...

(to myself)

This Gandlaf dude comes from the other side of the Ocean. He comes from the Immortal Lands. The place where the lights are on all the time. He is just a Tourist! Now if I was Frodo I'd keep that thought to myself because Sam and the other Hobbits look up to the giant called Gandalf and Same looks up to Frodo but...

<Frodo Pondering>

Hmm....I think I'll take the One Ring, crafted by Suaro-man, and do what I think best with it and not try to understand that Gandalf the Grey Character. I'll do what's right,...

And that's why Frodo is a Hero in the Lord of the Ring by Tolkein and Gandalf the Grey, to me, is just a sidekick.

Now Farcaster Dude, you want to get all huffy on this board about that? That's cool. Have over boardmembers post me private messages. That's cool...but forgive me...cus' I am just being funny...Farcaster the GREY.

Farcaster the GREY who lives in the land where the lights are on all the times. Farcaster the Grey from acroos the Ocean. The Ocean that leads to the Undying Land. humming..."Into the West..." -Tolkein Soundtrack 'Return of the Kind'

"What's that bright light...." (hold the last syallable and sing along folks...
"On the Hor-i-zon..."
"What should you fear...."
"Its the white ships..."
"Come to carry me home..."

"Into the WEST..."

And Gandlaf got to actually go home in a White Ship at the end of the whole Ring Triology movie, he got to travel with Frodo! I tell you there ain't no justice in the world. Sure the man came from the Undying Lands to Begin With, he hung out with original Elves there, back when they were gods or acted like em. But me, I always felt that dirtbag never should have been able to Change from Gandlaf the Grey to Gandlaf the White, even though he did because he Redeemed himself by sacrificing himself for a pack of hobbits and humans 'Flee you Fools.' Nah that gentleman acted like a tourist on Middle Earth most of his immortal life and he should have just died as Gandlaf the White and is he was lucky been reincarnated as a Human.

Ah well, keep singing "Into the WEST..."

I find it amusing that you can lurk on these boards for over a year and even start threads (like this one!) and post responses but claim that you can't use this board. Given all the help that's already been posted in this thread, what is so difficult? Creating and editing posts on this board is a fairly standard process. Most forums work the same way. The editor's even a WYSIWYG if you don't want to deal with BBCodes.

I find curious that (based on your previous post) you're clearly not a fan of these boards. Or are you? You've lurked here for over a year. What kept you coming back, hmm?

And I also find it amusing that--in light of your self-proclaimed difficulty with the forums (and with computing/networking technology in general)--you can presume to judge whether the administrators or anyone else on this board understand the best practices of computing and communication theory. Seems at best misguided and at worst insulting, don't you think?

Well, that's what Hobbits are for..comedic relief.

I am glad to make you "curious" and "amuse" you. If I do that I reached out and touched you even though you are...well you are a RiftWalker. Riftwalkers though in general should be used to multi-dimension spaces and the confusion they entail. Now if you have something you are going to actually spend time on saying I'll respond otherwise...well on this screen I cannot even see your zip and I am honestly just happy to have made you smile. It made me smile to type this junk back at you. That's called a win-win game, the best kind of board game there is.

Alright you are over 200 miles away from me....(Yawn) I have stuff to do now.

so... what are you trying to accomplish with this board that you cannot, johnathan?

My is spelled Jonathan...

I am trying to learn how to spell Nijineko without a spell checker you do the same with mine because its my real name.

I find it amusing that you can lurk on these boards for over a year and even start threads (like this one!) and post responses but claim that you can't use this board.

You know, thank you for letting me know I should not play your play by post game. I am sorry, if I met you face to face I think I'd like you.

But I don't got time for a professional writer being smart to a thread I started two weeks ago just so you can get some attention.

I mean we all need attention. But I am only paying attention to people that help me. You see Nijineko? (sorry if I misspelled that, I am trying)

Well, that man has helped me. And yeah I've teased him, and yeah he is Florida. But I couldn't care less...you you live less then 200 miles away from me...and you could live at the bottom of Mara Nara Trench for all I care evil Dungeon Master.

Leave my posts alone.

And I think you know I am accomplishing what I want Nijineko. You pay attention to what I write on other threads. This stupid one, which I started before I actually found a new face to face game to belong to is anachronistic.

Nonetheless, people post in it publicly as if it is one continuous conversation. It must make people feel good to have that little ticker counting their posts go up, up, up, or...

Heck they don't know how to post. That's an aside and its aimed at you Nijinenko. You seem to have a game going. You are mastering the technology you have, integrating it into this forum. You are sharing your expertise. You re-edit your posts for legit-ability.

Well, I hope they are listening to you. I am not sure that CrystalBalLite Dice software is so good anymore because now that you explained it to me, once again and in private, I understand you might have compatabilty probelms if people try to run it on Windows Vista. But that's OK you are the one that runs your games and you already made clear you can help people emulate that stuff if they are willing to listen to you. See, that to me is somebody trying to communicate.

What can't I do hear that I want? Nothing...anything that I need to get done as far as setting up a game can easily be done hear.

This thread has evolved, it amuses ME to see people acting all touchy-feely about the board though. Well, OK. I won't comment on any marriage proposals to FarCaster. I mean heck if you are willing to...

joking.

As for me, jeez I am a guy with a life, I can't *****? That's some of the best sport I know when I meet up with people, they ***** about this, and I ***** about something else. I am sorry if I hurt anybody's little feelings but... heh if I actually made you laugh...(for whatever reason) I am entertained too.

Riftwalker
03-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Alright you are over 200 miles away from me....(Yawn) I have stuff to do now.

I fail to see how the distance between us affects anything.

You know, thank you for letting me know I should not play your play by post game.

It matters little, as there are currently no openings.

But I don't got time for a professional writer being smart to a thread I started two weeks ago just so you can get some attention.

My first response was prompted by the insult in your post and the inconsistency of your situation. Neither of which you've addressed. I still wonder whether you're a troll and I've fallen for your bait.

What makes you think I'm a professional writer? Or seeking attention for that matter? I'm simply voicing my thoughts and opinions just like everyone else.

Jonathan Kwiat
03-03-2008, 09:35 AM

Farcaster
03-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Okay, this thread is clearly not going anywhere and it is starting to devolve into personal attacks. I am closing this thread with a reminder from our forum rules:

Respect fellow members. *Avoid personal attacks and flames. Debate opinions, not the people behind them. This includes posting images as a representation of your attack. *Inflammatory language or images is not acceptable. *If you can't find a polite way of expressing your opinion, take a break, maybe sleep on it, and come back to it when you can express yourself calmly.