PDA

View Full Version : Dark Heresy: 40KRP

Drohem
02-17-2008, 11:38 AM
I received my copy from Amazon.com. It is a beautifully done book. I am really digging the campaign theme and setting. It's the 41st millennium and the society of the Imperium is bloated and decaying. It's definitely a dark future setting. The game is set up so the players create characters who are Acolytes in the service of an powerful Inquistor, and are rooting out heresy in the Emperors' Inquisition.

The game mechanics are similiar to WHFRP, but not a clone.

The campaign is very dark and opressive; the society of the 41st millennium is starkly different than anything today.

Anyone else pick this up? Any thoughts?

http://blackindustries.com/?template=40k

Check out the downloads section. There are a couple demo adventures that introduce you to the 40KRP rules and setting.

rabkala
02-17-2008, 02:22 PM
It does look good, but I do not plan to buy it simply due to the fact that Black Industries announced the end of their productions. I would prefer a game with continued support and a large fan base. Now if I see it in the bargain bin or on the super reduced used shelf at the local game store, I might pick it up.

TAROT
02-17-2008, 11:01 PM
I ordered it from Amazon back in December. If it comes, it comes.

Grinnen Baeritt
02-19-2008, 02:23 AM
It is a beautifully produced book, well worth the money, the rules are slightly different to WHFRP but only very slightly, most of the changes in the character creation.

As for Black Industries (ahhmm..Games Workshops;)) decision to drop the line, well, check out the fanbase for the WH40K wargame and the campaign background for that before dismissing the system. The roleplaying system is solid as is the Brtish WHFRP fanbase.

Of course, if you want to be spoon-fed adventures you will be out of luck.

As with MOST systems what follows will be rather inflated and possibly unnecessary.

I'd liked to have seen the Rogue Trader and Space Marine supplements see the light of day.(though I'm not sure of the scope for space marines in an RPG... other than a hack and slash game..).

The original WH40K wargame rules were called WH40K - Rogue Trader. With a little tweaking and using the older white dwarf magazines(issue 100-150) you can find enough background material to create the various marine chapters and races for use in the RPG.

I expect there will be a lot of fanbase material coming out for it.

Drohem
02-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Yes, 40KRP as written is a limited or narrow in the scope of the player characters (can only Acolytes of an Inquisitor). I would've liked to see other campaign options, like Rogue Traders, presented in the core book. However, any competent GM should be able to create a viable campaign where the PCs are something other than Acolytes.

Severan
02-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Yes, 40KRP as written is a limited or narrow in the scope of the player characters (can only Acolytes of an Inquisitor). I would've liked to see other campaign options, like Rogue Traders, presented in the core book. However, any competent GM should be able to create a viable campaign where the PCs are something other than Acolytes.

Even though the PCs are 'only Acolytes', there are so many career paths within this that you can choose. You can be the healer type, the warrior, the psyker, the assassin, etc... what kind of background you have also gives you other traits- Void Born, Feral World, Hive World, Imperial World, etc. all have differering strengths and weaknesses to flesh out your character.

Yes, as you say, any competent GM can create a campaign where the PCs can play other character types. The bones and basic structure are already there. As well, there are NPCs detailed in the GM section that show various other archtypes from the setting. Since the characteristics and skills are fairly simple, creating any character 'class' you want should be easy enough.

Very well writted book (the occasionaly typo or redundant text is okay in my opinion)- a great synopsis of the world of 40k. The game does a great job of capturing the feel of that dark, grim setting.

Severan
02-22-2008, 09:11 AM
The original WH40K wargame rules were called WH40K - Rogue Trader. With a little tweaking and using the older white dwarf magazines(issue 100-150) you can find enough background material to create the various marine chapters and races for use in the RPG.

I expect there will be a lot of fanbase material coming out for it.

I agree that you can use any and all of the rules set out in the old Rogue Trader (which I bought on a whim back in '87 not knowing what it really was :)) or in the newer material. Hell, you can even use stuff from the newer WH Fantasy RPG as well to flesh out your campaign. As you said I expect to see a great deal of material coming from the fanbase very soon.

Also, I don't expect this to be a game that 'stays' out of print. The concept is too popular to let die. I am sure they will license another company to produce supplements, etc., for it (along the lines of Hogshead's WHFRPG).

Time will tell.

Drohem
02-22-2008, 09:57 AM
The game does a great job of capturing the feel of that dark, grim setting.

Yes, I completely agree. The universe of the Imperium is a dark and grim setting. It's society is completely different to anything we know of currently. DH 40KRP does a great job of capturing the 'feel' of this dark future game setting.

Yes, you could create vary different types of acolytes with the different choices, paths, and options. You could have a very diverse group of acolytes, which is awsome in my opinion.

The core book details the Calixis star system, but the rest of the Imperium universe is left unexplored in the book. As a GM, you literally create anything in elsewhere in the Imperium. Heck, you could even import WHFRP in its entirety into your DH40KRP game. ;)

rabkala
02-24-2008, 11:48 AM
So, Fantasy Flight Games will be taking over this setting or not?
What do you think will happen with all that stuff?

Drohem
02-24-2008, 11:56 AM
So, Fantasy Flight Games will be taking over this setting or not?
What do you think will happen with all that stuff?

Yes, Fantasy Flight Games has the licenses for all the Games Workshop RPG lines, which is just WHFRP (Warhammer Fantasy) and DH40KRP (Dark Heresy).

Well, hopefully they will continue the line well, and produce items at fairly regular intervals. ;)

Severan
02-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Black Industries, the publishers of the Dark Heresy RPG as well as Warhammer Fantasy RPG announced in early February that they were being disolved by their parent company, Games Workshop. Many people were wondering what the future would be for these two very popular rpgs. I, however, fully expected someone else to pick up the properties and run with them. Luckily I am proved right in this respect...

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/pr-2008-GamesWorkshop-Sabertooth.pdf

Fantasy Flight Games have acquired the rights to produce these games as well as other intellectual properties based on Warhammer Fantasy battles and Warhammer 40k battles. So, at least for now, the future of two of my favorite systesm is assured...

Laters,
Russell

Vulture
04-22-2008, 08:15 AM
i picked up the book a week ago. its wonderfulkly done, my and my frineds are going to start playing soon

Chavic
08-13-2008, 09:12 PM
I agree that you can use any and all of the rules set out in the old Rogue Trader (which I bought on a whim back in '87 not knowing what it really was :)) or in the newer material. Hell, you can even use stuff from the newer WH Fantasy RPG as well to flesh out your campaign. As you said I expect to see a great deal of material coming from the fanbase very soon.

Also, I don't expect this to be a game that 'stays' out of print. The concept is too popular to let die. I am sure they will license another company to produce supplements, etc., for it (along the lines of Hogshead's WHFRPG).

Time will tell.

I agree with this game being picked back up soon. 40k has such a huge following and I know tons of people were looking forward to the RPG portion of it.

There is also a ton of fan made rules and supplements on http://www.darkreign40k.com/

darelf
08-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Just thought I would chime in.

We played this with 6 players about 2-3 months ago?

About 4 sessions in, everyone died.

I declare it "perfect".

Oh... and everyone wants to play it again with the new "T***y Marines" supplement... uh.. Inquisitor's Handbook or whatever it's called.

Chavic
08-21-2008, 06:52 PM
I am desperately looking for a Dark Heresy campaign in my area by the way. I'm a huge 40k fan and the rulebook for this game looks amazing! If anyone has a game or knows of one please contact me!
Thanks

darelf
08-22-2008, 07:38 AM
I am desperately looking for a Dark Heresy campaign in my area by the way. I'm a huge 40k fan and the rulebook for this game looks amazing! If anyone has a game or knows of one please contact me!
Thanks

Well, all you have to do is commute to Nashville.... it's only 600 miles away.... :)

Chavic
08-27-2008, 10:47 PM
lol, I'm about to. I can't find a game here to save my life. I'm trying to talk my DnD group into a game of Dark Heresy any suggestions?

gdmcbride
08-28-2008, 02:20 AM
lol, I'm about to. I can't find a game here to save my life. I'm trying to talk my DnD group into a game of Dark Heresy any suggestions?

Yes, run a one shot. Pregenerate the characters so they don't have to learn the system. Create a powerful compelling exciting four hour session that you know will meet your groups tastes using Dark Heresy.

Make the adventure recognizable to D&D players -- a dungeon crawl. Have them raid a space hulk that has drifted into an inhabited system. Have it crawling with chaos beasts and the twisted remnants of a crew who even though riddled with mutation still fight to save their homeworld from the warp-space nightmares that the new masters of the hulk have planned for the planet below. Make it dark and heroic. Make it a tale of white knuckle sacrifice as the inquisitors fight to regain control of the hulk and steer it away from the doomed planet below.

One last burst of fuel, and the hulk is no longer aimed at the planet but now ... inevitably, inexorably straight at the sun. Now all you have to do is escape.

Hook 'em and hook 'em hard.

They'll be begging for more.

Gary

darelf
08-28-2008, 01:34 PM
... excellent suggestion...

Or, in order to hook my players into trying it all I had to do was say "Guns with chain saws attached"

Chavic
08-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Yes, run a one shot. Pregenerate the characters so they don't have to learn the system. Create a powerful compelling exciting four hour session that you know will meet your groups tastes using Dark Heresy.

Make the adventure recognizable to D&D players -- a dungeon crawl. Have them raid a space hulk that has drifted into an inhabited system. Have it crawling with chaos beasts and the twisted remnants of a crew who even though riddled with mutation still fight to save their homeworld from the warp-space nightmares that the new masters of the hulk have planned for the planet below. Make it dark and heroic. Make it a tale of white knuckle sacrifice as the inquisitors fight to regain control of the hulk and steer it away from the doomed planet below.

One last burst of fuel, and the hulk is no longer aimed at the planet but now ... inevitably, inexorably straight at the sun. Now all you have to do is escape.

Hook 'em and hook 'em hard.

They'll be begging for more.

Gary

Damn gdmcbride you got me hooked! I hope you don't mind me stealing your idea. I think they would love it!

gdmcbride
08-30-2008, 02:28 AM
Damn gdmcbride you got me hooked! I hope you don't mind me stealing your idea. I think they would love it!

If I didn't want you to "steal it", I wouldn't have posted it here. :)

Let me assure, encouraging you to hook others is completely self-serving.

Gary McBride
Freelance RPG Designer, Fantasy Flight Games