PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Dark Future Movies Of All Time?

Mulsiphix
02-13-2008, 11:14 PM
What do you think is the greatest Dark Future movie(s) of all time and why?

MortonStromgal
02-14-2008, 10:55 AM
For me its Bladerunner Director's Cut. I love the detective story and going along with him without being beat over the head with voice-overs about whats happening. I think it shows a possible future, one that is dark and where earth is full of the poor but they still make a living. Also the comment of "if your not cop your little people" shows the oppressive government and society that is so afraid that they have given control to a minority.

Mulsiphix
02-14-2008, 01:43 PM
BladeRunner is the worst cyberpunk setting I've ever had the displeasure of watching. Such a society is truly sad. I would rather see the world fall to nuclear holocaust than live in such a place. My complaint is with the depressing setting though and not the movie itself. After seeing that, no other representation of Cyberpunk is as defining as BladeRunner o:

Drohem
02-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Mad Max is one of my favorites.

boulet
02-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Blade Runner is a excellent, if not for the plot at least for the setting. I like Clockwork Orange a lot.

Drohem
02-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Oh yeah, Clockwork Orange is awsome!

rabkala
02-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Blade runner is really good.

The mad max movies, The Postman (kind of), Children of Men, I am Legend, Red Dawn, The Time Machine, and Reign of Fire (;)) also have some good perspectives.

boulet
02-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Escape from New York was a bit cheesy, but damn Isaac Hayes as duke of NYC that was awesome :D

Idiocracy in its own "darkness" theme was interesting

Mulsiphix
02-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Blade runner is really good.

The mad max movies, The Postman (kind of), Children of Men, I am Legend, Red Dawn, The Time Machine, and Reign of Fire (;)) also have some good perspectives.I've seen all of these except Red Dawn. Loved em all.

MortonStromgal
02-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Johnny Moronic... I mean Nuemonic. Its the greatest in like how you can't turn away from a car wreck. Every time I flip by it on TV I have to stop and stare till it ends :confused:

Mulsiphix
02-15-2008, 10:40 PM
That was a cyberpunk movie I did like. Seems like you enjoy the more depressing settings ;)

boulet
02-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Yeah, cyberpunk is this strange genre that's always been clumsy put into movies so far. Oh well, I'll go back to my sweet books :D

Riftwalker
02-15-2008, 10:57 PM
If you liked Johnny Mnemonic, try reading Neuromancer. (Hopefully they make a movie out of it one day.)

William Gibson wrote both of them. (Johnny Mnemonic was a short story that was adapted to a movie.)

Mulsiphix
02-15-2008, 11:01 PM
I think The Matrix was my all time favorite Dark Future (cyberpunk anyway)

rabkala
02-16-2008, 01:18 AM
Logan's Run a true classic.
Fish, and plankton. And sea greens, and protein from the sea. It's all here, ready. Fresh as harvest day. Fish and sea greens, plankton and protein from the sea. And then it stopped coming. And they came instead. So I store them here. I'm ready. And you're ready. It's my job. To freeze you. Protein, plankton...

The Planet of the Apes was incredible when I was young.
Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.

I was actually one of the few who loved Waterworld.

boulet
02-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Aren't you confused between Soylent Green and Logan's Run ? The latter is about a dystopia where people over 30 are killed for the "common good".

Waterworld wasn't that bad, I mean Dennis Hopper rocks man ! The biggest controversy was about the movie's budget wasn't it ?

Drohem
02-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Yes, I dug Logan's Run as well.

rabkala
02-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Beyond the horizon lies the secret to a new beginning.

The budget was $175 million in 1995. Huge number considering the only $80 million domestic pull. If it hadn't been for the eventual massive overseas profit of $176 million, it would have lost big.

There was also several very bad reviews and talk of believability issues. I thought it rocked.

I meant Logan's Run. The movie was great and lead to a TV series, if you remember. The world was in ruins but life continued. A dystopia where people over 30 are killed for the "common good" is a dark future in my book.

boulet
02-16-2008, 02:42 PM
A dystopia where people over 30 are killed for the "common good" is a dark future in my book.
Same for me, same for me

About dystopias, I didn't care for Running Man but a similar type of story was developed in a previous movie Le Prix du Danger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Prix_du_Danger) (didn't see it on any American catalog alas) and was quite spooky. The director was very biased in his vision of a society where reality shows go wrong but that's where the flavor of the movie comes from. Considering it was released in 1983 there was sth quite visionary about it.

Drohem
02-16-2008, 05:13 PM
hehe...Running Man. Now, there's a good supply of Arnie quotes :D

Dimthar
02-16-2008, 06:06 PM
I'll give my support to "BRAZIL" as one of my favorites.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088846/

I am not sure if it counts as "Post-Apocalyptic" but I really like '12 Monkeys'.

boulet
02-16-2008, 06:12 PM
My oh my ! Brazil and 12 Monkeys of course !

MortonStromgal
02-17-2008, 12:19 AM
If you liked Johnny Mnemonic, try reading Neuromancer. (Hopefully they make a movie out of it one day.)

William Gibson wrote both of them. (Johnny Mnemonic was a short story that was adapted to a movie.)

I just read Neuromancer last year... The part that stuck out in my mind was Molly saying "I loved this guy once, Johnny. He used to carry information around in his head" or something like that I don't remember exactly but it screamed Johnny Mnemonic.

That was a cyberpunk movie I did like. Seems like you enjoy the more depressing settings ;)

Well my favorite Hollywood movie is Heat, and my favorite film is actually a short called More by Rick Osbourne I believe (could be a different Osbourne) It says more about the human condition in 6min than any 2 hour film. But your right, I don't like happy. I like sad/depressing films weather that be the setting or the story. Kinda funny because I'm a horribly happy person. I just look goth.

Drohem
02-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Ok, I just saw I am Legend in the movie theater last night, which was the first movie in a long, long for my wife and I. I was suprised, it was really good, IMO.

It was a good re-tooling of the Omega Man. I really liked the Omega Man with Charleston Heston. You kind of have to filter the 60's taint, but once you do it's a good movie.

Riftwalker
02-17-2008, 12:34 PM
I just read Neuromancer last year... The part that stuck out in my mind was Molly saying "I loved this guy once, Johnny. He used to carry information around in his head" or something like that I don't remember exactly but it screamed Johnny Mnemonic.

It's been a while since I've read any Gibson, but I think the Molly character is the same character in both books or something like that.

boulet
02-17-2008, 02:27 PM
It's been a while since I've read any Gibson, but I think the Molly character is the same character in both books or something like that.She is.

I read his Pattern Recognition this summer, very good book indeed. It isn't hardcore cyberpunk, like his trilogy but I had an excellent time, like with all the books I read from Gibson.

Mulsiphix
02-18-2008, 05:18 AM
I wasn't a fan of I Am Legend. It was a decent movie but I've seen that scenario done far better.

MortonStromgal
02-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Good old Johnny was on Free On Demand... so of course I had to watch it again (my wife was thankful I waited for her to go to bed). I must say I think the movie is actually better and less campy today. Still terrible acting/dialog but what they were trying to do with 1995 technology (ok 93 & 94, because it came out in 95) was amazing. The hacking by symbol patterns is more relevant today than it was in 95. Heck Linux is even 3d on the desktop now.

Azaethel
03-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Blade Runner was brilliant, like was said it the beginning of the thread. Although Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (the book) was slaughtered to make it, the author Philip K. Dick also wrote Total Recall, A Scanner Darklyand Minority Report (all of which fit into this category but none of them are as good imo).

Webhead
03-27-2008, 11:56 AM
BladeRunner is the worst cyberpunk setting I've ever had the displeasure of watching. Such a society is truly sad. I would rather see the world fall to nuclear holocaust than live in such a place. My complaint is with the depressing setting though and not the movie itself. After seeing that, no other representation of Cyberpunk is as defining as BladeRunner o:

The Bladerunner movie, to me, was okay but the book on which it was based is many orders of magnitude better. One of the main reasons for this (something that was lost in translation in the movie) is because the book has a very apparent undercurrent of humor that goes along with the tragedy. It is a humor that the reader is aware of but not the characters themselves which makes it more influential in the reading. Add to that the fact that the movie only really deals with half of the plot of the book and it's easy to see why the two are so divergent. There is a kind of socio-religious element that underscores the action in the book that is never even touched on in the movie.

Also, not sure if this fits in with the angle of "dark future" that you're looking for, but one of my favorite "dark sci-fi" movies is Dark City. Really neat movie which has me wanting to play the Don't Rest Your Head RPG.

I like a number of movies previously mentioned. Soylent Green, The Matrix, Road Warrior, 28 Days Later, etc. Haven't seen I Am Legend yet, but I want to.

Malruhn
04-04-2008, 08:13 PM
The Easter Bunny just brought me I am Legend, and I watched it this past weekend with my middle daughter (the gamer-chick). It was definitely okay. I've seen better, but it was okay.

After some urging on another board, I sat down and watched the alternate ending on the DVD...

And I now think the movie was GREAT!!

I recommend seeing the alternative ending and NOT the theatrical version. It totally changes the tone of the movie and it becomes something totally different. No spoilers here, but I actually shed a tear of sorrow for the zombies.

But my favorite dark future movie has to be Blade Runner. The best book that describes it is Blade Runner... and the two are TOTALLY different. I recommend the book - and THEN the movie.

agoraderek
04-29-2008, 10:27 PM
i gotta throw my vote in for brazil, a clockwork orange, bladerunner (director's cut) and children of men. excellent movies all.

i dont know if any director active right now can really capture the essence of gibson. there is a lot of subtext in his oevre that im not sure would translate well to the screen.

having said that, i would love to see someone take a stab at count zero...

Dimthar
06-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Were "Delicatessen" and "The City of the Lost Children (French Version)" already mentioned here? or were they in the Horror movies lists?

boulet
06-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Where "Delicatessen" and "The City of the Lost Children (French Version)" already mentioned here? or were they in the Horror movies lists?

:dance:Yeah, I love them too. It's kind of on the steampunk side of alternative future but yeah definitely dark !

pkostrze
06-03-2008, 04:01 AM
It may not be my favorite of all time but I have to put a vote in for "Reign of Fire"; I know it didn't seem to get a lot of attention but it presented a very gritty future reality where, for once, it wasn't man who caused it. I found the incorporation of the medieval with the last trappings of the end of "modern" civilization well done and believable. Some of the acting was weak and the story was far fetched at times (particularly Matthew McConaugheys character). At any rate, it was a pretty good action movie at it's heart but also showed man in a positive light in regard to his resilience and determination... a very positive and feel-good ending IMHO. Don't get me wrong, "The Road Warrior" will probably always be my favorite dark future movie, partly out of nostalgia, but "Reign of Fire" deserves a look if you've never seen it.

pkostrze
06-03-2008, 04:04 AM
I the name of full disclosure... I really liked Waterworld, take it as you will.

ronpyatt
06-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Yes, Waterworld was a really good movie, and Starship Troopers was kinda dark.
Dark City, Equilibrium, V for Vendetta, Ultraviolet, Aeon Flux, Pitch Black, Resident Evil: Extinction, Planet of the Apes, and Underworld.

I'd love to see Snow Crash and/or The Diamond Age make to the big screen.

Law Dog
07-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Dark City, Equilibrium, V for Vendetta, Ultraviolet, Aeon Flux, Pitch Black, Resident Evil: Extinction, Planet of the Apes, and Underworld.

I'd love to see Snow Crash and/or The Diamond Age make to the big screen.

Equilibrium. Now that's an underrated Christian "Batman" Bale movie. The Gun Kata scenes are awesome.

SpiffyBananaFoot
07-04-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm with Ron in saying Dark City is one of the tops as far as I'm concerned. I also liked V and Aeon Flux. A lot of people think they could have been done better, but I have pretty low standards for what I would consider to be a good movie...:lol:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-08-2008, 12:44 AM
What do you think is the greatest Dark Future movie(s) of all time and why?
DarkStar... no question. You really get pulled into this movie. It was directed by John Carpenter. Pretty incredible for a flick made in 1974.

Thoth-Amon

Tamerath
07-09-2008, 01:11 PM
I know you didn't post favorite dark future video game of all time but I REALLY like the feel of the Fallout Games by Bethseda.

As for movie: I saw someone post the V miniseries and movie...God, that was awesome to watch as a little boy. I Loved those shows. I also like Bladerunner and Mad Max as many of you have posted.

Other Cheesy movies I like: Cherry 2000, Sam Hell in Frog Town.

calico_jack73
07-10-2008, 06:45 AM
Another vote for Equilibrium and V for Vendetta. I'm a sucker for anything Orwellian. :)
I'm also probably one of the few people who liked Hardware http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099740/
How can you not like a movie about the government initiating a population control plan that involves the use of robots that kill people through hallucinogen overdose? :p

Jonny Mnemonic was pretty awful as a movie though I did like the short story. The same goes for I am Legend IMHO. The movie should have been called "Will Smith vs. The Zombies" because it had very little in common with the book other than him having a dog.

Vulture
07-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Blade Runner, maybe Robocop?

michaeljearley
07-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Dark City, V for Vendetta, Equilibrium, Blade Runner

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-21-2008, 04:55 AM
I'd say that Dark Star, Blade Runner, Equilibrium, Water World, & Reign of Fire would fall into the top 10.

Thoth-Amon

Oedipussy Rex
07-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Death Race 2000

"It's a hand grenade." Pure genius.

darelf
07-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Darel's Top 10 Dark Future Movies Of All Time (in no particular order):

War of the Worlds (Not Tom Cruise)
Blade Runner
Akira
Equilibrium
Ultraviolet
I, Robot
Logan's Run
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Mad Max
Fifth Element

darelf
07-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Oh, and if they ever make a 40k movie, I'll probably put that on my list....

MortonStromgal
07-25-2008, 04:12 PM
If your going to have Akira I would add Ghost in the Shell. Otherwise I can't think of anything your missing. Though I would swap ultraviolet out for the matrix or v for vendetta but its hard to only put 10 on the list.

Stormcrow77
08-27-2008, 05:08 PM
I cant belive no one has listed Blood of heroes.