PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Horror Movies Of All Time?

Mulsiphix
02-13-2008, 11:13 PM
What do you think is the greatest Horror movie(s) of all time and why?

MortonStromgal
02-14-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm not really sure that it counts as "horror" but I would say Fallen, its one of the few films I didn't get the big surprise until just a few minutes before it happened. I could totally see it as an nWOD mortals chronicle to.

Drohem
02-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Yeah, Fallen was excellent. Man, can Denzel act! I could totally see that as a NWoD adventure.

Drohem
02-14-2008, 12:57 PM
I liked Alien and Nightmare on Elmstreet.

Alien was suspenseful and scary.

Nightmare on Elmstreet because you couldn't tell if it was a dream or reality.

However, I would have to say that Pan's Labyrnith is a mighty fine horror movie. I was truely distrubed by this movie, and that's fairly hard to do for me.

Mulsiphix
02-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Silent Hill was amazing to me. The artistic work in it was truly vivid. I've never seen anything else like it. It is probably my most favorite horror movie of all time. Being the horror buff that I am I think that is saying a lot. Although I knew few would agree with me. Especially fans of the game who feel cheated. But what fan doesn't feel cheated by the movie that represents a world they previously only knew through video games or in their imagination?

Farcaster
02-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Greatest of all times? That's a tough one to say. I'm not sure I could point to one movie and say it was the best. The Alien line would be among my favorites to be sure. But, I do have a recommendation. If you've never seen it, check out Serpent and the Rainbow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpent_and_the_Rainbow). It's an old one, but a good one. It has a slightly different take on the typical zombie theme.

Drohem
02-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Oh yea, the Serpent and the Rainbow is a good one; I really liked it as well, especially since the story was based off a real world event.

The Believers was also another good horror voodoo movie in my opinion.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/believers/

The Thing with Kurt Russell was a good one as well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084787/

Mulsiphix
02-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Drohem could you please try group some of your posts together? Lets try to keep things tidy :p

Drohem
02-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Jeebuz, give me a break...sorry my thoughts aren't neatly compacted into one post.

boulet
02-14-2008, 07:15 PM

Yeah Carpenter's The Thing is good stuff :) I remember an ex-girlfriend reacting to one of the early scenes when the Norwegians are trying to kill the nice little doggy... "Oh the bastards they're trying to kill this innocent dog !" I couldn't understand considering the name of the movie how she could fall for this predictable trick :D Women and horror movies...

rabkala
02-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Wow, there are so many I like...
An American Werewolf in London was very well done, almost unexpected the way it plays out.
Fright Night was great as well as the sequel for fun broad appeal.
Salem's Lot was very good considering it was written by a drunken fool and made into a miniseries.
The Lost Boys was a fun horror movie.
30 Days of Night is a good new look at vampire movies.
Hellraiser was original and striking.
Dawn of the Dead was probably the best zombie flick.

I guess, The Omen would be close to the top for me. I remember when it came out, it really got me. The religious references striking my young mind and religious upbringing was very scary.

ruelk
02-14-2008, 08:11 PM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084787/
Yes, as well as another of his Aplcalypse Trilogy movies Prince of Darkness (http://imdb.com/title/tt0093777/) (I wasn't a huge fan of the third in the trilogy In the Mouth of Madness (http://imdb.com/title/tt0113409/))

I also liked Angel Heart (http://imdb.com/title/tt0092563/) and Bram Stoker's Dracula (http://imdb.com/title/tt0103874/).

One of my favorites when I was a kid was The Howling (http://imdb.com/title/tt0082533/), though I was young when I last saw it. Don't know how I would like it now.

rabkala
02-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Oooooh! I forgot about Angel Heart. I loved that one. Good horror thriller.

boulet
02-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Angel Heart of course !

Noticeable vampire movies : I liked the Nosferatu with Klaus Kinski and The Hunger with Deneuve and Bowie...

On the other hand, Tom "midget" Cruise as Lestat, I never accepted it. Most book adaptations suck, but this one...

MortonStromgal
02-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Oh I absolutely adore In the Mouth of Madness how could I have forgotten about it, so cthuhlian!

Citadel
02-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Now I'm not a real big movie buff when it comes to horror, but the Grudge (american remake) scared me. I also liked Feast, now that was a good monster movie

Mulsiphix
02-15-2008, 04:30 PM
I agree with rabkala on just about every favorite movies thread posted. Dawn of the Dead was the best zombie flick ever! Hellraiser?! Still gives me chills when I see some of the scenes (razor + maggots = :eek:). An American Werewolf In Paris?!! AMAZING!!! Completely unexpected.

Anybody here ever seen the Ginger Snaps trilogy? I thought it was a very nice take on Werewolves. The third/prequil is one of my all tiem favorites.

Underworld 1/2 anybody? ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM TO DEATH!!!!!

Drohem
02-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Well, you can't go wrong with Kate Beckinsale in a tight leather bodysuit ;):cool:

MortonStromgal
02-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Well, you can't go wrong with Kate Beckinsale in a tight leather bodysuit ;):cool:

Yes you can, Underworld 2... good lord, its like someone just ran the most awesome uber vampire campaign with an epic ending and handed it off to a completely new GM. I'm not saying Underworld 1 was that good but Underworld 2 felt like thats where the inspiration came from, must be bigger and badder than uber.

Drohem
02-15-2008, 09:18 PM
What was Underworld 2 about? Sorry, I was busy concentrating on Kate ;).

Mulsiphix
02-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Underworld 2 rocked! What about it made you feel it was a half-baked experience?

rabkala
02-16-2008, 01:56 AM
I liked Underworld, the second was pretty good.

Ginger Snaps had its moments, but a little cheap.

boulet
02-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Since we're not stuck with pure horror anymore I'll mention a movie from one of my favorite director : Blue Velvet. When it comes to sheer spookiness I an't help but thinking to good old David Lynch !

In heaven everything is fine...

MortonStromgal
02-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Underworld 2 rocked! What about it made you feel it was a half-baked experience?

It jumped the shark as soon as it went modern. With the whole introducing the secret society thats even bigger and badder than the werewolfs/vampires. If they are so big and bad why not stop the war years ago. I just couldn't buy it. It felt forced that they have to introduce something bigger. To use D&D the PCs in #1 just defeated the 20lvl wizard so now they have to introduce a society of 30lvl wizards. The best part was for being "all knowing" they get slaughtered.

Dimthar
02-17-2008, 08:52 AM
How about the Exorcist?

Drohem
02-17-2008, 12:20 PM
It jumped the shark as soon as it went modern. With the whole introducing the secret society thats even bigger and badder than the werewolfs/vampires. If they are so big and bad why not stop the war years ago. I just couldn't buy it. It felt forced that they have to introduce something bigger. To use D&D the PCs in #1 just defeated the 20lvl wizard so now they have to introduce a society of 30lvl wizards. The best part was for being "all knowing" they get slaughtered.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up for me as well. What? All of sudden, there is the father of Vampires and Werewolves? He was just chilling for the last 1,000 years?

Mulsiphix
02-18-2008, 05:27 AM
I don't understand how either of you guys can analyze the movie that way. And how can you say the second movie went modern? Were the UV ammunition and synthesized blood not modern enough in the first Underworld? The Corvinus story has been used many times before. The movie just capitalized on it. Queen Of The Damned used a god for the origin of Vampires. Everything has a beginning and comes from a single source. At least as far as evolution, movies, and most literature is concerned.

MortonStromgal
02-18-2008, 11:32 AM
And how can you say the second movie went modern? What I'm saying is the opening back in the middle ages was fine the movie went down hill once the moved back into modern times. I don't have a problem with the elder older vampire idea either, it was the way in which it was introduced and played out I have a problem with. It was really forced, had the good old hollywood "well we need a bigger villain" problem. They could have done something interesting we the half guys struggle to survive and find his place in the world but instead they went for bigger badder action. Just out of curiosity what vampire legends of Corvinus are there? The only reference to vampires I have ever read about Corvinus was that Mattas (sp?) Corvinus imprisoned one of the Vlad Tepes (not sure which one).

Drohem
02-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Queen of the Damned wasn't a god, but became godlike. I don't like the whole father of both vampires and werewolves thing, and how easily he was duped and killed.

Mulsiphix
02-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Queen of the Damned wasn't a god, but became godlike. I don't like the whole father of both vampires and werewolves thing, and how easily he was duped and killed.His mental instability was his downfall. All those years worry about his brother, all those years he was dominated by Viktor, etc.... Why he didn't just kill Viktor in his sleep I don't know. Maybe we'll find out more in the upcoming Prequel? Honestly I can't recall where I've heard the legend before it rang very "familiar" in my mind when I saw Underworld. As a child and teen I was obsessed with Vampires. After An American Werewolf In Paris I started getting very interested in Werewolves as well. If it pleases you I will retract the comment. However, most Vampire settings can be traced back to a specific elder, god, event, or at the very least a time period.

MortonStromgal
02-18-2008, 05:35 PM
You don't need to retract, I was just curious. I don't doubt there are legends I have not read or that I have forgotten. I was actually hoping you had one for me to read :D.

Mulsiphix
02-18-2008, 06:16 PM
I actually flipped through some of my books I have lying around and did some wikipedia searching. I couldn't find anything :(

Drohem
02-18-2008, 09:38 PM
If it pleases you I will retract the comment. However, most Vampire settings can be traced back to a specific elder, god, event, or at the very least a time period.

hehehe...dude, don't be silly. We are mere mortals after all, LOL!

BTW...In the Ann Rice novel The Queen of the Damned, the origin of vampires comes from twin witches that curse the Egyptian Queen and King, Akasha and Enkil, with an evil spirit named Amel. The Queen is murdered and her spirit is prevented from leaving her body by the evil spirit, and the first vampire is created.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_of_the_Damned

Mulsiphix
02-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Many thanks for the detailed explanation. Far more informative than the movie was :p

kipling
02-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Best zombie movie: Night of the Living Dead

Most interesting use of piercings: Return of the Living Dead Part 3

Most fun vampire film: Fright Night

Horror film that gave me heebie-jeebies: the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Interesting idea that didn't work: The Frighteners

Spookiest: Alien

Best shot of Kate Beckinsale in a leather bodysuit: Underworld

Many, many films have been left out (I still haven't seen Todd Browning's Freaks, for instance).

Farcaster
02-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Many thanks for the detailed explanation. Far more informative than the movie was :p

Queen of the Damned was a very, very, very bad movie. The book, however, was among my favorites, joined there by Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, and Tale of the Body Thief. Ann Rice lost me though after Memnoch. That was the last book of hers that I ever read.

Drohem
02-20-2008, 01:26 PM
My personal favorite is Interview with the Vampire.

Mulsiphix
02-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Best shot of Kate Becki sale in a leather bodysuit: UnderworldI thought the best shot of her in one and coming out of one was in Underworld 2 :D

kipling
02-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Haven't seen the second one, so I had to give the award to the first.

Worst zombie movie I've actually sat through:Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town

Honourable mentions for having well-placed heart: the Mummy, Slither, Feast.

Mulsiphix
02-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Slither was alright. The scene with the woman in the barn though was quite disturbing :eek:

kipling
02-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Slither was alright. The scene with the woman in the barn though was quite disturbing :eek:

Well, disturbing is good. I mean, these are horror movies.

Drohem
02-22-2008, 11:00 AM
I liked the first The Mummy movie. It was a little campy, but not over-the-top. Besides, Rachel Weisz kept me focused off the camp ;)

Thayan
02-22-2008, 09:02 PM
I can't believe noone mentioned Kazaam (http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0018525/) .. That movie scared the crap out of me..:)

But Seriously.. Poltergeist still freaks me out to this day

Drohem
02-22-2008, 09:28 PM
But Seriously.. Poltergeist still freaks me out to this day

Yeah, the first one was awsome; the rest, not so much.

Thayan
02-23-2008, 10:45 AM
SO nothing on the Kazaam comment...Really? Huh....

Yea Im only talking about the, Girl in a TV, Craig T. Nelson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005266/) in an unfinished swimming pool with skeletons, fface melting, poltergeist. Probably didnt help that I saw it when I was 7 for the first time...:)

kipling
02-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Man, I saw Poltergeist and it doesn't stick with me. (Ghost stories in general don't, except for the ones by Saki.) Of course, I saw the original Amityville Horror and very little of that has stuck with me. Bleeding walls; that's all.

And I never saw Kazaam, so it took me a while to realize you were making a joke. :)

Drohem
02-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Dude! The freaking clown under the bed! :eek: I hate freaking clowns to this day!

rabkala
02-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Man, I saw Poltergeist and it doesn't stick with me. (Ghost stories in general don't, except for the ones by Saki.) Of course, I saw the original Amityville Horror and very little of that has stuck with me. Bleeding walls; that's all.

And I never saw Kazaam, so it took me a while to realize you were making a joke. :)
Most ghost stories don't do it for me either.

Clowns are so lame, I am not sure why so many fear them. It must be linked to early childhood traumas. :confused:

Dimthar
04-20-2008, 03:09 PM
For those who speak Spanish, my 2 favorites:

"El Libro de Piedra - Stone Book" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0242601/

"Hasta el viento tiene miedo - Even the wind is afraid" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061752/

Two gems of Old School Mexican Horror Films.

I would recommend also the Spanish Movie "Tesis - Thesis" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117883/

Webhead
04-20-2008, 06:16 PM
I was just reminded...

There is a very cool and creepy film which balances somewhere between horror and psychological thriller. It is a british film called The Bunker. It is set during WWII and it is about a troop of soldiers who are lost in enemy territory who take cover in an abandoned bunker. It was one of the most enjoyable horror/thriller films I've seen in the last few years.

I also really liked 28 Days Later.

rcawley8@hotmail.com
04-21-2008, 05:58 PM
If you ever get a chance try "Session 9". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0261983/
or "Children Shouldnt play with Dead Things" zombies are good sailors! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068370/

Moritz
04-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Dude! The freaking clown under the bed! :eek: I hate freaking clowns to this day!

Ditto
-and It by Stephen King did not help

jameskennedy2265
12-15-2009, 07:18 PM
I recently watched

Black Christmas and Black Dahlia

Both deserve a watch although they can compare nothing to the classic great horror films.

Richard Littles
12-16-2009, 03:46 AM
House of Usher starring Vincent Price.

michaelsbagley
12-16-2009, 09:32 AM
"The Ring" has been one of the only movies in my recent memory to truly freak me out. And despite what many horror afficiandos say, I liked the American version better than the original Japanese ("Ringu").

Most horror movies I find go more for the make one squirm through grossing one out, over preying on those deep dark recesses of the psyche. And that is sad, gross out horror is easy and commonplace, psychological horror is so much more impressive and so damn rare.

jameskennedy2265
12-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Just watched Thankskilling.

Check it out if you want to laugh at a horribly purposefully "bad" horror movie.

Faro
12-26-2009, 10:50 AM
What? No one mentions Event Horizon? A doorway to another universe of evil and insanity is opened up by a new warpdrive on a spaceship. It's scarier than it sounds.

I was freaked out recenty by Paranormal Activity. To me, it was the most intense horror film I'd ever seen.

The Thing, The Shining, The Exorcist, The Omen, The Ring, The Grudge(american version), The Amityville Horror. All tops in my book.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
12-26-2009, 11:50 AM
What? No one mentions Event Horizon? A doorway to another universe of evil and insanity is opened up by a new warpdrive on a spaceship. It's scarier than it sounds.

Great movie. Wrote a Traveller CT module based off of that movie.

"The Ring" has been one of the only movies in my recent memory to truly freak me out. And despite what many horror afficiandos say, I liked the American version better than the original Japanese ("Ringu").

What i found most strange about that movie is that viewers either got it and loved it or failed to understand why folks loved it so much. I've never known another movie that had that kind of effect on people. Kinda cool, really.

I was just reminded...

There is a very cool and creepy film which balances somewhere between horror and psychological thriller. It is a british film called The Bunker. It is set during WWII and it is about a troop of soldiers who are lost in enemy territory who take cover in an abandoned bunker. It was one of the most enjoyable horror/thriller films I've seen in the last few years.

That was a great horror flick. I had a WTF experience watching this one. One moment i'm expecting boring, then WTF, this is great!

I also really liked 28 Days Later.

A classic, no question. I heard or read somewhere that they plan to make a trilogy. Has anyone heard anything about this?

"Children Shouldnt play with Dead Things" zombies are good sailors! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068370/

I just ordered it on Netflix. Can't wait to check it out.

Law Dog
12-29-2009, 11:15 AM
I found the remake of the Fly to be particularly scary from a body horror aspect. When Goldblum asks the computer what happened to the fly and it tells him fusion at the molecular-genetic level, it's one of those "oh crap" moments.

TheMagicalMick
06-17-2010, 04:04 PM
Hmm, lets see here.. of course The Thing is an all time classic, can't argue with that. What I didn't see mentioned when I scanned over though... The Descent and The Strangers. Look, I know The Strangers was iffy because of the lack of 'why' in it, but it was unsettling none the less, even more so for people like myself who live out in the rural areas. 28 Days Later is always good, lets see here.. for it's time, The Omega Man by Charleston Heston was a pretty creepy movie. As a person who HATES spiders, Arachnophobia deserves mention. You also have Children of the Corn... someone mentioned Event Horizon, which was a bit ****ed up... The Mist, I thought was pretty damn creepy, and not just because of the crazy mist monsters, religious crazy mob with knives are just as creepy. (Also, more crazy spiders exploding out of a man.) The Exorcist and The Shining is a classic.. Rec is some good shit. I might have to stick with The Thing though at the top of that list...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-17-2010, 07:29 PM
The really need to remake The Thing... and Prophecy (from the 70's). I'd love to see both classics redone.

TheMagicalMick
06-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Too true, they're remaking all these movies that don't need remade. Spider Man is getting remade (again). Super Man got remade.. The Karate Kid is getting remade, among tons of other things. They should really consider remaking or adding onto The Thing. I'd sure as hell not have a problem forking over the $10 or whatever it is these days to go to the movies and see that.

Skunkape
06-21-2010, 07:14 AM
Too true, they're remaking all these movies that don't need remade. Spider Man is getting remade (again). Super Man got remade.. The Karate Kid is getting remade, among tons of other things. They should really consider remaking or adding onto The Thing. I'd sure as hell not have a problem forking over the $10 or whatever it is these days to go to the movies and see that.

Except that the new Karate Kid should be called the Kung Fu kid!

TheMagicalMick
06-22-2010, 03:17 PM
It's a black kid learning Kung Fu, in a movie about Karate. None of it makes sense! That's why I reiterate the point that they should just remake The Thing.

mindravel
09-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Dawn of the Dead 70's:
This movie shows a world collapsing, and people trying to survive at all costs. Its full of hidden meaning, and it hints at everyones material desire, covering over anti-socialism and replacing it with our greedy nature. Plus, it was a very dark and depressing theme, something I felt the new Dawn of the Dead didnt capture (though that movie was a good movie in its own rights). All of the Romero trilogy are classics.

Evil Dead 1:
A classic horror movie. Everything was creepy and dark, and though I liked Evil Dead 2 (and so did many other fans, with the slapstick horror and chainsaw hand), Evil Dead 1 was pretty much in the shadow of part 2, and I dont think that gave it justice. Evil dead 1 was scary, and it creeped my girl out, Evil Dead 2 was a funny homage, which my girlfriend didnt like, and it ruined that fear for her. This combined exorcism with the living dead, awesomely done.

Witchboard:
This movie makes you jump, a lot. Granted its been years since I seen it, this ruins your nerves, and I was the horror fanatic as a kid, I am not easy to scare. Maybe its because I saw it with a bunch of screaming girls, but the anticipation and directing made you tense up a lot. This was about the Ouija Board, I dont remember much of the story though.

Others on my list: Demons 1 and 2 (similar to Evil Dead 1), The Haunting (based on a true story).

Others on my list that arent scary but classics: Troll 1, Night of the Demons 1, Ghoulies 2, Return of the Living Dead 1 and 2.

Webhead
09-04-2010, 02:58 PM
*Night of the Living Dead

*Alien

*John Carpenter's The Thing

*28 Days Later

*Evil Dead 2

The "Horror" genre is a tricky one. What many people consider "Horror" isn't really horrific. It's either just "scary" (as in jump-scares) or overly gruesome (like the dreadful Saw series and many other "slasher/gore" flicks). To me, it isn't "horror" if you aren't concerned for the lives of the victims. Too many "horror" films feature protagonists who are obnoxious, irresponsible morons that the audience is praying will be brutalized because they more-or-less deserve it. It's not horrific if you're meant to root for the monster.