PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Fantasy Movies Of All Time?

Mulsiphix
02-13-2008, 11:13 PM
What do you think is the greatest Fantasy movie(s) of all time and why?

Drohem
02-14-2008, 12:28 AM
I would have say one of them for me was Excalibur.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur_(film)

Merlin was awsome!

"Ride! Ride! Your lust will hold you up!"

nijineko
02-14-2008, 01:37 AM
movies? we have to limit ourselves to movies? sigh. let me think... (but so many great fantasy stories were ruined when they turned them into movies!!! *grumble*)....

all right. i guess i'll be the first to offer the Lord of the Rings trilogy. they did a pretty good job with the movie.

on the lesser known side, i'll put krull (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krull_(film)) out there. =D it has some definite "points"... ;D also, it was supposed to be the first d&d movie, but something happened to prevent that, apparently.

edit: oh, can't believe i almost forgot these two: the Seventh Voyage of Sinbad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_7th_Voyage_of_Sinbad), and the Raven (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raven_%281963_film%29)

MortonStromgal
02-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Well other than LOTRs...

Mad Martigan! oh thats Willow, can I remove the rest of the move and just vote for him alone? I loved that character! I always wished they had done a TV series of the Adventures of Mad Martigan and Erik. They obviously had a lot of history together but the movie only hinted at stuff

Willow also goes in my proof that George Lucas has great ideas but should really let other people take it from there.

"Not a woman! Not a woman!" - Lug
"Gentlemen meet Lug." - Mad Martigan

tesral
02-14-2008, 12:11 PM
I would have say one of them for me was Excalibur.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur_(film (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur_%28film))

Merlin was awsome!

"Ride! Ride! Your lust will hold you up!"

That one blew my buffer. Merlin was about the only good thing in the film.

LotR of course. That one kicked the standard so high people are going have a hard time reaching it.

Hawk the Slayer. Made in 1980 was the D&D movie before the D&D movie. Cheeze fur sure but it took the plot seriously and was a lot of fun.

boulet
02-14-2008, 12:20 PM
I haven't seen Ladyhawke since I was a teenager... I liked it then, I should check it again...

The first Conan is still a pleasure to me now.

Seven Samurai isn't exactly Fantasy, but any figurine wargame fan would probably love this one : it's realistic medieval tactical fight at its best. I'm biased though, I watch this one several times a year.

tesral
02-14-2008, 12:35 PM
I haven't seen Ladyhawke since I was a teenager... I liked it then, I should check it again...

Seven Samurai isn't exactly Fantasy, but any figurine wargame fan would probably love this one : it's realistic medieval tactical fight at its best. I'm biased though, I watch this one several times a year.

Ayup. I forgot Ladyhawke and the Conan films.

Drohem
02-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I dig Conan and Ladyhawk too.

Mulsiphix
02-14-2008, 01:25 PM
The Beastmaster, Conan, Willow, and Lord Of The Rings are my all time favorite Fantasy setting films. Many others are definitely worth watching but few are worth watching again and again.

Drohem
02-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Yeah, well I figure would've been silly to list LotR since it's the new standard, as tersal pointed out IIRC.

Drohem
02-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Going back to the claymation days:

Jason and the Argonauts

Sinbad (I don't remember specific title, but I think that there were several claymation sinbads).

tesral
02-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Going back to the claymation days:

Jason and the Argonauts

Sinbad (I don't remember specific title, but I think that there were several claymation sinbads).

Oh yea the whole slew of Harry Harryhousan films. How could one even start to forget them? There were a bunch of Sinbads, Jason and the Argonauts. The totally forgetable Clash of the Titans.

And stop action BTW, not claymation. I got a chance to see and even handle some of Harryhousan's stop action models at a Con in the 70s. Totally cool.

Drohem
02-14-2008, 01:52 PM
And stop action BTW, not claymation.

oops! I stand corrected, LOl! :)

Drohem
02-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I loved the skeletons in the Sinbad movies.

Mulsiphix
02-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Claymattion was so awesome. Some of the nastiest stuff I've ever seen to date is in the movie Evil Dead. Yuckers :eek:

Farcaster
02-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Clearly, Lord of the Rings! When you have other movies come out that try to compare themselves to "an epic story not seen since Lord of the Rings," and the like, you know that you've got a new gold standard. What I don't like about it is there seems to be a move towards longer and longer movies. Its like they equate it's success with its length. Whereas, I think LotR was successful despite it's long run time. Honestly, I don't want to have to dedicate three hours or more to go to a movie. Perhaps that is because I'm a parent now, and it makes me more sensitive to the time of these things...

As to classics, I'm with one of the previous posters that Conan the Barbarian would have been on the greats as well!

tesral
02-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Honestly, I don't want to have to dedicate three hours or more to go to a movie. Perhaps that is because I'm a parent now, and it makes me more sensitive to the time of these things...

LotR is only improved in the Director Cut. Lengthed too. It requires either an entire day, three long evenings or six short ones to watch the whole film. However LotR is truely an epic tale in the true meaning of the word epic. You cannot tell it in 90 minutes.

ruelk
02-14-2008, 08:20 PM
LOTR. However, I think it goes unstated. So I am going to state Dark Crystal (http://imdb.com/title/tt0083791/) and The Never Ending Story (http://imdb.com/title/tt0088323/) (there never was a sequal IMO).

rabkala
02-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Excalibur is my top pick.

LoTR series falls in after that.

Labyrinth gets honorable mention.

Farcaster
02-14-2008, 10:47 PM
LotR is only improved in the Director Cut...You cannot tell it in 90 minutes.

I agree, it certainly cannot be told in 90 minutes, and I have no problem with the length of LotR. What I am saying is that directors seem to associate length with greatness as a result of LotR success. Since LotR, in my albeit anecdotal experience, movies have been getting longer and longer when they don't need to be.

Now, where I do disagree with you is that directors cut is better. I've watched the directors cut several times, and I can honestly say that I saw why they cut almost every one of them. The exception might be the Mouth of Sauron, but that's it.

Dravion
02-15-2008, 05:30 AM
Sure you have the LotR, Willow and Conan those are stead fast classics. But I also like Laberynth and Dark Crystal. I've gotten a few good ideas from these movies for my campaigns.

tesral
02-15-2008, 11:10 AM
I agree, it certainly cannot be told in 90 minutes, and I have no problem with the length of LotR. What I am saying is that directors seem to associate length with greatness as a result of LotR success. Since LotR, in my albeit anecdotal experience, movies have been getting longer and longer when they don't need to be.

I'm good with a longer film if indeed the film needs the length to tell the story. Confabulating length with quality, that is a mistake. "What about LotR they whine." Did they look at the book? It's a toe breaker. Frankly they did a decent job of trimming down to the necessary story. I don't care who whines about Tom Bombidil he does not advance the plot in the least.

Mulsiphix
02-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Anybody see the whore/fantasy film Minotaur? Not too shabby ;)

Anaesthesia
02-15-2008, 04:19 PM
LOTR. However, I think it goes unstated. So I am going to state Dark Crystal (http://imdb.com/title/tt0083791/) and The Never Ending Story (http://imdb.com/title/tt0088323/) (there never was a sequal IMO).

The NeverEnding Story-the book was so much better than the movie. The movie pales in comparison to the book.

Love:The Dark Crystal, Pan's Labyrinth, The Labyrinth, and Peter Pan (2003)

I'm sure there's a lot of others I can't think of right now (Let's not mention LOTR. I'm probably the only one who boycotted it)

boulet
02-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Now I'm stuck with the song of Limahl looping in my head...

* grabs a baseball bat *
Where are you Anaesthesia ? Come here kitty kitty kitty....

MortonStromgal
02-15-2008, 06:06 PM
I don't care who whines about Tom Bombidil he does not advance the plot in the least.

I whine, because he shows an important fact that even if Sauron wins life will go on, not everything is under the influence of the ring. I'm also convinced hes Ratagast though every time I tell that to a Tolkien fan I get groans and eye rolls. That said I think doing Tom justice would have made the film far to long. So I guess I'm not really whining just disappointed.

Drohem
02-15-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm also convinced hes Ratagast though every time I tell that to a Tolkien fan I get groans and eye rolls. That said I think doing Tom justice would have made the film far to long. So I guess I'm not really whining just disappointed.

Hmm...interesting theory about Ratagast, very interesting. I am disappointed that he didn't appear as well, but I completely understand the reasons for not including his part and piece in the movies.

Mulsiphix
02-15-2008, 10:38 PM
I forgot about Pan's Labyrinth. That was a pretty damn good movie. Anybody else here cringe at many of the recent fantasy themed movies like The Last Mimsey and Bridge To Terabithia? I actually was quite fond of Star Dust though :)

rabkala
02-16-2008, 02:16 AM
I think there is a surprising lack of good fantasy movies.

I still don't know about the Harry Potter movies. Not bad, they certainly made enough money.

tesral
02-16-2008, 05:04 AM
I whine, because he shows an important fact that even if Sauron wins life will go on, not everything is under the influence of the ring. I'm also convinced hes Ratagast though every time I tell that to a Tolkien fan I get groans and eye rolls. That said I think doing Tom justice would have made the film far to long. So I guess I'm not really whining just disappointed.

Two things. Tom is is a side trek. He doesn't advance the main plot. Two, he being a supernatural creature defys the power of the ring. He would detract from the focus of part one that "The Ring Is Dangrous!" So again he detracts from the plot. I like Tom, he is a light hearted moment is a somber book.

However that is also his flaw. A film has X minutes to tell you the story. Tom derails the very story they are trying to tell just as they are building the tension.

No, i don't think Tom is one of the Vala, he is something more tied to the land, as is his wife.

I think there is a surprising lack of good fantasy movies.

I still don't know about the Harry Potter movies. Not bad, they certainly made enough money.

I liked the first Potter movie, but they go down hill from there. The second was a outline for a movie. Too much happening, too little time.

Dravion
02-16-2008, 05:09 AM
I liked the first Potter movie, but they go down hill from there. The second was a outline for a movie. Too much happening, too little time.

The only good thing about the Potter Movies are the special effects. Or at least to me it's the best part of them.

But I know I'll probably get flack for this, but Master of the Universe was a half way decent fantasy movie. Along with the most current The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. And maybe even The Golden Compass, although I haven't had time to watch it, the book was half way decent.

ruelk
02-16-2008, 09:00 AM
The NeverEnding Story-the book was so much better than the movie. The movie pales in comparison to the book.
That's probably true (I haven't read the books to my misfortune). However, that is also the case of most books especially considering the time the movie was made. However, as a fantasy movie, I think it was one of the greats. It didn't have alot of big battles and nasty orcs or anything, it was all about the quest, that race against an unidentifiable, abstract nothing. IMO, it was one of the first fantasy movies to really capture what a fantasy film should be. It didn't focus so much on big battles and huge effects (though there were really great special effects for the time). Instead, it focused on what made LotR so great, the quest, the adventure, and the trials of the human spirit against adversity. Taken on its own, aside from the book it was based on, it is a great film.

As for LotR purity, Tom, Radagast, the Scouring, and all of that, I feel the same way. I am a huge fan of the books. I was actually afraid of the films when I heard they were being made. I was even more concerned when I heard the director of Frighteners was making it. As a fantasy film, or a film in general, LotR is hands down as good as they come, the king. Take it on its own merit, a film, not an adaptation, a certain person's retelling of a great story, and even a Tolkien purist like me can only help but to love what those films are.

rabkala
02-16-2008, 10:18 AM
The only good thing about the Potter Movies are the special effects. Or at least to me it's the best part of them.

But I know I'll probably get flack for this, but Master of the Universe was a half way decent fantasy movie. Along with the most current The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. And maybe even The Golden Compass, although I haven't had time to watch it, the book was half way decent.

Emma Watson/ Hermione is kind of cute now. That's a good thing.

The Golden Compass was a bad Hollywood setup for a sequel. If you didn't read the book, you are clueless as to what is happening or why. (Kind of like the horror that was Dune the movie)

nijineko
02-17-2008, 03:20 AM
I'm good with a longer film if indeed the film needs the length to tell the story. Confabulating length with quality, that is a mistake. "What about LotR they whine." Did they look at the book? It's a toe breaker. Frankly they did a decent job of trimming down to the necessary story. I don't care who whines about Tom Bombidil he does not advance the plot in the least.

perhaps not the plot of the lotr, but he did a lot in earlier plots. also there was a point to him both resisting the ring, and refusing it. moral annecdote of sorts if you will.

the only way i will read the neverending story (which i loved, along with dark crystal and the labyrinth) is in the original red and green print.

That's probably true (I haven't read the books to my misfortune).....

please, please read the book... (there's only one) they took out sections and piecemealed them to make the movies.... i can see you points about the quality of the movie on it's own merits, even if i have a hard time granting that personally... the book was soooo different and, i think, better.

As for LotR purity, Tom, Radagast, the Scouring, and all of that, I feel the same way... Take it on its own merit, a film, not an adaptation, a certain person's retelling of a great story, and even a Tolkien purist like me can only help but to love what those films are.

i deliberately didn't reread the books before i saw the movie. i know that i would have been overly disappointed if i had. ^^ so i made an effort to enjoy those movies on their own merits; fortunately i hadn't read the books in quite a while before the movies came out, so i was able to pull it off.

Mulsiphix
02-18-2008, 05:41 AM
I'm not a fan of the Harry Potter movies myself. I never understood why they did so well. I figured children viewers and fans were the reason for their success. Just look at Pokemon.

rabkala
02-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Got to catch them all... Pokemon!

You are just jealous that my level 51 Picachu with epic thunderbolt can kick your collections butt. :rolleyes:

Pirates of the Caribbean were all good fantasy in my book.

upidstay
02-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Conan, Excalibur, Ladyhawke,The original animated LotR, Mr Harryhousan's flicks, Krull, Kull (kevin sorbo and Tia Carrerre), Hawk the slayer (the archer was awesome). I can't remember thename, but the hero had this crazy tri-bladed sword, the 2 side blades could be fired.

tesral
02-18-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm not a fan of the Harry Potter movies myself.

The first one has a certain magical innocent quality I like. However the further and deeper Rawlings takes her world building, the more it starts to crumble. While her plot holds together, the bits around it are increasingly unbelievable. She violates my first rule of fantasy* right left and sideways. Her world is too complex and self contradictory to live.

By book three I was starting to dial out and she totally lost me in book four.

*Garry's First Rule of Fantasy: "Never change reality more than necessary for your fantasy to work."

cplmac
02-18-2008, 09:23 PM
The first one has a certain magical innocent quality I like. However the further and deeper Rawlings takes her world building, the more it starts to crumble. While her plot holds together, the bits around it are increasingly unbelievable. She violates my first rule of fantasy* right left and sideways. Her world is too complex and self contradictory to live.

By book three I was starting to dial out and she totally lost me in book four.

*Garry's First Rule of Fantasy: "Never change reality more than necessary for your fantasy to work."

One thing I am not wild about is how in each successive Harry Potter movie, The layout of the castle and it's grounds are different from one movie to the next.

I would have to vote for both, Labyrinth and The Never-Ending Story. They are suitable for children as well as adults. My 2 year old loves to watch both of them.

tesral
02-18-2008, 09:46 PM
One thing I am not wild about is how in each successive Harry Potter movie, The layout of the castle and it's grounds are different from one movie to the next.

That's Hollyweird who does not think the audience is smart enough to notice.

boulet
02-18-2008, 09:49 PM
One thing I am not wild about is how in each successive Harry Potter movie, The layout of the castle and it's grounds are different from one movie to the next.Isn't it supposed to be changing every now and then ? It was one of the things said to the freshmen if I remember right.

I would have to vote for both, Labyrinth and The Never-Ending Story. They are suitable for children as well as adults. My 2 year old loves to watch both of them.I'm surprised many of you mention Labyrinth. I like Bowie in movies usually but this one got me bored for the first half hour and I couldn't suffer this any longer...

Drohem
02-18-2008, 09:49 PM
hehehe...that's funny because I noticed that and thought it odd as well.

rabkala
02-18-2008, 10:24 PM
. I can't remember thename, but the hero had this crazy tri-bladed sword, the 2 side blades could be fired.
The Sword and the Sorcerer http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084749/

nijineko
02-19-2008, 04:59 AM
well if you are going to poke at liking labrynith, then i'm going to admit that i enjoyed ladyhawk. nice musical score too. =P

upidstay
02-19-2008, 06:32 AM
I think the layout of Hogwarts does change periodically. Says so in the 1st book, I believe.

nijineko
02-19-2008, 06:52 AM
well, in the books, it was the internal layout that changed. but there is no explicit reason why the external layout couldn't change as well....

tesral
02-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Here is where the old gamemaster in me raised up its ugly head. OK, magical castle, it changes around, neato keen. WHY? Why does it do that? What purpose and reason is there for the change about?

It's all part of the not very good world building I was speaking of.

cplmac
02-19-2008, 09:57 PM
That's Hollyweird who does not think the audience is smart enough to notice.

Might not be the brightest bulb in the box, but I did notice that the layout of the Hogwarts grounds changes from movie to movie.

Isn't it supposed to be changing every now and then ? It was one of the things said to the freshmen if I remember right.

If I remember right, the freshmen were told that the stairs would change.

well, in the books, it was the internal layout that changed. but there is no explicit reason why the external layout couldn't change as well....

I haven't read the books, so I'm not sure what was actually in them.

rabkala
02-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Here is where the old gamemaster in me raised up its ugly head. OK, magical castle, it changes around, neato keen. WHY? Why does it do that? What purpose and reason is there for the change about?

Actually, it would be a very effective way to thwart attacks, thefts, etc.
The people in charge surely know how/ when/ where things change, but outsiders would not. Could you imagine getting plans to a castle (whatever), and then when you get there all your intelligence is for naught?

gdmcbride
02-19-2008, 11:25 PM

In the universe of Harry Potter magical is both dangerous and capricious. You don't so much control it as harness it and try to hang on. I think Hogwart's constant changes are probably more a symptom of magic's unprectability than an intended effect.

Gary

Farcaster
02-20-2008, 02:28 PM
(Let's not mention LOTR. I'm probably the only one who boycotted it)

Boycotted LotR? Why?

I'm not a fan of the Harry Potter movies myself. I never understood why they did so well. I figured children viewers and fans were the reason for their success. Just look at Pokemon.

Harry Potter is not exactly my prime type of fiction, but I have to give it a nod. Like the Lord of the Rings movie, the Harry Potter books and films have done an excellent job of drawing a larger audience. My wife is a perfect example. She's not much into fantasy at all, and certainly not Sword and Sorcery type fantasy. (And no, she's not a roleplayer either... I know. Strange, isn't it?) But, she was down right fanatical about LotR. She even sat down and read the books. She's also a pretty big fan of the Harry Potter series, which while it may not be Sword & Sorcery fantasy, it is closer than anything else she reads or watches.

So, I think movies like Harry Potter have expanded the general interest in fantasy. If it makes fantasy literature a little less niche, then I think that is a good thing.

By the by, an interesting statistic... Harry Potter: The Deathly Hollows sold 8.3 million copies in the first 24 hours it went on sale in the US! Many, many of those readers were adults, actually. Imagine that. In twenty-four hours, this book had grossed more than most movies ever do.

tesral
02-20-2008, 05:23 PM
By the by, an interesting statistic... Harry Potter: The Deathly Hollows sold 8.3 million copies in the first 24 hours it went on sale in the US! Many, many of those readers were adults, actually. Imagine that. In twenty-four hours, this book had grossed more than most movies ever do.

I might not be the biggest fan of Potter, but any book series that can get 12 year-olds reading a toe breaker, and loving it, is a good thing. If Harry Potter gets kids reading, Go Harry Potter. I'll buy Harry Potter for other people.

upidstay
02-21-2008, 07:18 AM
The Harry Potter series were great. I read them all, couldn't put them down. Yes, they were written for a younger crowd, but still excellent reads.

And why, oh why, would you boycott the LotR movies??

nijineko
02-23-2008, 01:35 AM
i look at the story of the authoress behind harry potter, and go - yea! i think it's awesome that she succeeded in something that a lot of us would like to succeed in too.

it's a nice piece of work too. and the movies weren't all that bad, considering how much editing had to go into it.

mrken
03-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Like most of you LotR is the best ever. Somehow I am not really as big a fan of Fantasy movies as all of you. I do like Willow, probally because of my kids, and Lady Hawk, because of my wife, but I lean more toward stuff like Henry V, (I have three different versions). While growing up we had stuff like Excalibur. I’m sorry, but the acting and props were pretty poor (stainless steel armor?), kind of like the original Star Trek. I just couldn’t get over Kirk picking up this huge boulder and tossing it across the sound stage and hearing it boom and watching it bounce and roll like the hollow stage prop it was. I need realism, at least enough to help me get over the fantasy.

Lord of the Rings took a very long and incredible book and made it possible to get through it in one three-day week-end. lol It is so good I own three copies of the first movie, VHS, DVD and the extended cut. Shoot, had to go out and buy a new surround sound system. Still waiting on the HDTV to replace our fairly large TV so I can milk LotR for an even higher level of entertainment.

As for Harry potter, pffft. It was well done and all, I just wasn’t hooked like the rest of my family. My wife was the one to get my son hooked, and my daughter couldn’t wait until she could read them. She read I think four of them during the summer of 3rd to 4th grade.

GBVenkman
03-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Shogun Assasin!

Excalibur was great, just wish they had a larger budget. Speaking of which, the same director did one called ZARDOZ... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070948/

Pretty low budget, but shot in the same area of Ireland as Excalibur. Cool ideas, but done in the early 70s.

I wish they'd do the Illiad with all the gore and stuff.

It's 300x10^9.9

Greeks had the best stuff :D (Don't bring up Troy. Such a disgrace!)

Drohem
03-15-2008, 12:37 PM
[quote=GBVenkman;26767] Speaking of which, the same director did one called ZARDOZ... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070948/

Pretty low budget, but shot in the same area of Ireland as Excalibur. Cool ideas, but done in the early 70s.

quote]

Yeah, Zardoz was stamped by the era in which it was created. However, if you can watch and filter out the 70's stuff, it's a cool post-apocolyptic story.

The Wandering Bard
03-16-2008, 08:16 PM
I liked the LOTR triliogy both the old animated versions, the 2d -3d mix versions as well as the new live action ones. but I guess my real love for fantasy movies are the ones like Kull the Conquerer, or Krull with the horribly bad looking Cyclopes. but my all time favorite movies were the Ray harryhosen (misspelled last name I know.) films, Simbad, Jason and the Argonnaughts, Clash of the Titans (though I don't know if he did that one...). they had a good story line, and were fun to watch.

also on my fav. list is the horrible B rated move Hawk the Slayer. it took me forever to find it. I saw it when I was a Kid and could still remember the Elf (who looked a lot like Spock.) firing arrows like a machine gun.

good times.....(the young man sits at the computer lost in his memories.....)

Tony Misfeldt
03-26-2008, 06:47 PM
I have so many favorite fantasy movies it's hard to know where to start. For years, decades even, Conan The Barbarian was the yard stick by which all fantasy movies were measured (most falling far short) and is still one of my all time favourites. I also love the movie Willow. The Beastmaster was okay, but I felt the ending was a deus ex machina (spelling?). Dragonheart wasvery well done. The original animated version of The Lord Of The Rings was also quite excellent (and actually closer in many ways to the original book than Peter Jackson's live action version). Peter Jackson's Lord Of The Rings trilogy is the new yardstick by which all fantasy adventure films are now going to be measured by. I also really enjoyed all the Harry Potter movies. The later ones (especially The Goblet Of Fire through to The Order Of The Pheonix) are a little rushed as they're trying to squeaze a near 400 page book into a 90 minute movie, but not that bad. Another one I like that nobody seems to have mentioned yet is Dragon Slayer. The special effects were pretty good for its day.

There are several not so great fantasy movies which are marginally watchable. Conan The Destroyer for one. The action was pretty good, but the writing was awful! Taramis is a good and just queen, it's her evil twin sister that's an evil tyrant. And Toth-Amon is a major villain in the Conan Universe, a wizard and priest of Set who is as powerful (if not greater than) Thulsa Doom, not some one trick wonder who just sits around for centuries guarding some key. And if the exit to the secret tunnel out of the Temple Of Daggoth was so close to where they left their horses, why didn't they just sneak in through there and avoid the guards all together? And a beautiful 18 year old virgin throws herself at Conan and he says "No"? Honestly, Did this writer ever actually read a Conan comic or novel?
Then there's Red Sonja. Again, good action scenes but bad writing. The special effects were also pretty bad, and who's bright idea was it to end the movie with Sonja kissing Kalidor? Hercules starring Lou Ferrigno was okay, if poorly dubbed. The Clash Of The Titans was cutting edge in its day, but by today's standards is pure cheese (still watchable though). The Scorpion King was pretty good. It's been a while since I've seen it, but as I recall Kull The Conqueror also wasn't too shabby. Of course, how can we leave out Dungeons & Dragons and Dungeons & Dragons II: Wrath Of The Dragon God? Sure, they were poorly done. But what D&D geek wouldn't have at least one of them in his DVD collection?

Then there's the really bad ones that are sort of like a train wreck. They're beyond horrid, but we can't help but watch them anyway. Things like Ator The Fighting Eagle, Queen Of The Barbarians I & II, Beastmaster II: Portal Through Time, Beastmaster III, Death Stalker I - XXX (or whatever number they went up to), Sword Of The Barbarians, to name but a few. Watching these movies is like masterbating with a cheese grater, slightly ammusing but mostly painful.

Tony Misfeldt
04-16-2008, 01:35 PM
I can't believe I forgot this one! 300! Very well made. Great story. Excellent graphics. It's hard to believe the entire thing was shot using green screen technology (unlike the Star Wars prequels, where you couldn't help but notice).

Moritz
04-24-2008, 07:32 AM
I do have to agree, Excalibur was incredible, but I also liked Dragonslayer (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082288/) . It was quite impressive for its' time. Just like Legend (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089469/) . Then of course you have Labyrinth (http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=labyrinth&x=0&y=0) and the Dark Crystal (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083791/) , albeit both focused toward a younger generation, both just amazing pieces of work.

tesral
04-25-2008, 10:44 AM
I do have to agree, Excalibur was incredible.

It left me laughing in all the wrong places. They just so abused period in that flim and tried to be serious about it. Incredilbe is the word I would use, but not the same way.

Kilrex
04-25-2008, 11:24 AM
It left me laughing in all the wrong places. They just so abused period in that flim and tried to be serious about it. Incredilbe is the word I would use, but not the same way.

Period Fascist? A few of my friends are in the SCA with me and they tend to ruin every fantasy movie I go see with them. Excalibur is one of their most taunted. Can't figure why people can't just sit back and enjoy the movie.

tesral
04-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Period Fascist? A few of my friends are in the SCA with me and they tend to ruin every fantasy movie I go see with them. Excalibur is one of their most taunted. Can't figure why people can't just sit back and enjoy the movie.

Because it is one of the stupider retellings of the Arthurian legend? Plate armor of the early Renaissance that they NEVER take off for ANYTHING (including sex). No one wore armor to the diner table in any era. Period nazi, hardly. Knows good story telling when he sees it, right on. It wasn't very good story telling. Authur the Cliffs Notes edition.

agoraderek
04-27-2008, 02:13 AM
to be honest, the only thing i liked in excalibur was "carmina burina" by orff, i used that for mood music in many a game...

loved "sinbad", "jason", et al...

when i was younger, if highlander or the sword and the sorcerer came on, i was hyped to play d&d BADLY...

LotR rocked (of course - liv tyler, wow)

princess bride, beastmaster, clash of the titans, krull (although i was always like "glaive? but that isnt a pole-arm!!!".

but, greatest of all time? yes, im a dork, but i have to say "army of darkness"...

Dimthar
04-27-2008, 09:15 AM

There is no reason for your worries. There will always be disagreement between an “Educated Opinion” and a “Causal Story Opinion”, and people forget both are considered valid.

The lack of Rigor/Strictness does no make a movie “Bad”. One must remember that in this case Excalibur can never be considered a Historical Movie.

Was it good storytelling for you? That’s all you need. You went to the movies not the Cannes Film Festival. So just sit and enjoy the movie, there are moments in life when a “Banal State of Mind” is the Right State of Mind.

tesral
04-27-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm pretty much burned out on the whole Aurthur thing. It always ends the same way, everyone dies. Excalibur was, well, not the best telling of the tale. Slightly better than Disney's Sword in the Stone.

Crash of the Titans. Ghodd save us. It is chock full of Appropriate Stupidity. I won't even start on how they chucked Greek Myth into the blender and hit "puree". It had a few, very few good moments. But for the most part Harry Harryhausen has made better films. Much better films. I would place Crash at the bottom of the heap.

Dimthar
04-27-2008, 03:29 PM
My Fantasy/SciFi Heart held dear for many many years movies such as Clash of the Titans, Dragon Slayer, Excalibur, Black Hole and Tron. I used to "Humm" the opening theme of the original BSG.

And then perhaps I made a mistake by watching them again, and the "Awe" was no longer there, and I felt that I lost something. I still like them, but it is not the same.

Things were bigger when I was little ...

tesral
04-28-2008, 09:10 AM
And then perhaps I made a mistake by watching them again, and the "Awe" was no longer there, and I felt that I lost something. I still like them, but it is not the same.

Things were bigger when I was little ...

Star Trek TOS hangs in there pretty good. But I'm hearing ya. The TV shows I used to hang in for every word are now pretty brain dead. Movies I thought were great as a kid don't hold me as well.

We age, our tastes mature and change.

Tony Misfeldt
04-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Because it is one of the stupider retellings of the Arthurian legend? Plate armor of the early Renaissance that they NEVER take off for ANYTHING (including sex). No one wore armor to the diner table in any era. Period nazi, hardly. Knows good story telling when he sees it, right on. It wasn't very good story telling. Authur the Cliffs Notes edition.
I only partially agree with you. I think the story telling was actually quite good. But you're right in the silliness of nobody ever taking off their armor for anything. Although I could see Luthor not removing his armor for sex. After all, knights had to make their equipment accessable to answer nature's call so it stands to reason that the less honorable and noble among them would use such conveniences to commit rape (and that's essentially what Luthor was doing, raping his rival's wife). But for the rest of the movie? Yeah, they should have only been wearing armor for battle and for Arthur's wedding ceremony.

Malruhn
04-28-2008, 06:42 PM
You're joking about the telling of the Arthurian Legend, right? That was nearly as close to historically accurate as... well, perhaps a Disney retelling of Sleeping Beauty (http://home.nycap.rr.com/useless/sleeping_beauty/index.html). Give the original tale a whirl and consider what Disney did to it... it is the same thing that the Excalibur movie did to the original legend.

I REALLY liked the movie - but a history lesson it wasn't.

tesral
04-28-2008, 11:14 PM
But for the rest of the movie? Yeah, they should have only been wearing armor for battle and for Arthur's wedding ceremony.

Uthor, Uthor Pendragon. And it wasn't his rival, it was his late ally that he was attacking to steal his wife. Nice guy Uthor. Here all you vassles, get killed on battle so I can get my rocks off with the pretty girl.

Okay that part of the dark ages they nailed, in more ways than one.

The main thing I remember that film for is the gore, the most inept sex scene in film, and lifitng from the classical music lexicon without mercy. Carmen Barada, Funeral of Sigfried, and more.

Kilrex
04-29-2008, 07:12 AM
My favorite Disney movie ever is Black Cauldron. It is the only animated Disney movie I own and probably will stay that way.

Tony Misfeldt
04-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Uthor, Uthor Pendragon. And it wasn't his rival, it was his late ally that he was attacking to steal his wife. Nice guy Uthor. Here all you vassles, get killed on battle so I can get my rocks off with the pretty girl.

Okay that part of the dark ages they nailed, in more ways than one.

The main thing I remember that film for is the gore, the most inept sex scene in film, and lifitng from the classical music lexicon without mercy. Carmen Barada, Funeral of Sigfried, and more.

My mistake. I only saw the movie and never read the books, so I always thought they were calling him "Luthor" (never bothered reading the end credits either). And first they were rivals, then they were allies, then they were rivals again (of a different sort, rivals for his wife's affections). The film could deffinately stand to be remade. Keep the swords and sorcery part, but make the characters a little more realistic. They've retold the King Arthur Legend many times on film, First Knight and King Arthur being two of the most recent. But those films were both done in a more "historically accurate" way (if Merlin was a character at all he wasn't a wizard with mystical powers, just a wise old man steeped in ancient lore). I say remake Excalibur as a nearly word for word, scene for scene reinterpritation. But except for the battles and the wedding ceremony, Arthur and his knights don't always wear their armor. That would be worth watching.

agoraderek
04-29-2008, 10:14 PM
you know, i've changed my mind, im going to say the original adventures of robin hood, with errol flynn.

thefarouk
05-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Well since I'm new, and late to the thread, I'm going to go for the esoteric that no one has mentioned. Unfortunately, I just barely got beaten to quoting the Black Cauldron. But at least I can still use the "Gurgi gots munchings and crunchings" quote :)

While not quite DnD-esq, anyone consider Big Trouble in Little China? C'mon folks, how can you miss that one?
Jack Burton (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000621/): What's in the flask, Egg? Magic potion?
Egg Shen (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0939378/): Yeah.
Jack Burton (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000621/): Thought so, good. What do we do, drink it?
Egg Shen (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0939378/): Yeah!
Jack Burton (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000621/): Good, thought so.

Anyone remember the Final Fantasy movie? The story was ok, the animation was stellar.
Honorable mention for the Joan of Arc movies, although that to some degree history as well as fantasy
Did anyone mention Legend, with a very young Tom Cruise?
Barbarian Queen 1 & 2 (and believe it or not, 2 was worse than 1)
The adventures of Baron Munchausen (sp) (which was just re-released on Blu-Ray)
Monty Python and the holy grail "Five is right out!"
I think someone mentioned Robin Hood, but which version. The recent BBC TV series has been pretty interesting, but being an old softy/romantic type, I still have a soft spot for the Costner version (one of the very first laserdiscs I bought, back in the day)
Fantasia, anybody?

Ok that should be enough new esoterica to spawn a few threads...

/Thef

tesral
05-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Did anyone mention Legend, with a very young Tom Cruise?

So bad it is funny.

Barbarian Queen 1 & 2 (and believe it or not, 2 was worse than 1) Worse, is that possible? One was, well, any cheezer and Wisconsin would have sued.

I think someone mentioned Robin Hood, but which version. The recent BBC TV series has been pretty interesting, but being an old softy/romantic type, I still have a soft spot for the Costner version (one of the very first laserdiscs I bought, back in the day)
Fantasia, anybody?I love Fantasia, both films. I don't know if i would stick it in the "fantasy" genre. Art films really, something unto themselves.

Robin Hood really needs a rest too. They have been dozens. The Costner film was fine, except for Costner. To quote "Men in Tights" "Unlike some Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent."

agoraderek
05-02-2008, 11:11 PM
i mentioned robin hood, and specified the errol flynn version. "prince of thieves" was fun, if only for alan rickman's sherriff. "...and cancel christmas!"

Tony Misfeldt
06-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Worse, is that possible? One was, well, any cheezer and Wisconsin would have sued.

Yeah, that one was pretty bad. In fact, I've seen pornos that were done better. There've even been a few with D&D type themes.

Barbara The Barbarian: Starring Barbara Dare, Nina Hartley, Randy West, Peter North, and others. The only problem I had with it was they couldn't seem to decide if it was going to be an X Rated version of a fantasy adventure movie, or an X Rated spoof of a fantasy adventure movie. It started out like a fantasy movie with real sex, complete with cheesy lines like "My loins are aflame with the fires of lust. Bring me her men." But then they would have lines like:
"By the Hairy Balls Of Balthasar, I think I like killing almost as much as I like sex!"
"Me too. And Eating. And drinking. I think killing comes fourth. Yeah, I think it goes 'Sex, Eating, Drinking, Killing'. But then there's bowling. But does bowling beat..."
"Okay, okay, I get the idea. Let's go."

The New Barbarians Part 1: Starring Victoria Paris, Nina Hartley, Sabrina Dawn, Randy West, Randy Spears, John Dough, and others. This one was very well written for a porno. It had a story that could very well have been used for a mainstream film. The sets were much better than in Barbara The Barbarian. The one and only sword fight was very poorly choreographed though. And Victoria Paris's character went from being a strong warrior woman to a weak damsel in distress almost instantly (it happened right after she got laid, maybe the writers were basing the character on Red Sonja). Other than that, typical D&D movie. My only other complaint is the rediculous looking horned headdress John Dough had to wear in the beginning of the movie. VERY cheesy.

The New Barbarians Part 2: Same cast as above. This part takes place in modern day Los Angeles. Victoria Paris, Sabrina Dawn, and Randy Spears all travel through time into modern day Hollywood. They must get back to their own time, but are having trouble figuring out how to work the magic chrystal that sent them there. Victoria eventually discovers the secret that even Randy Spears' character didn't realize and goes back home. (I'm leaving the exact stary vague on purpose in case anyone actually wants to go out and see th movie for themselves).

Dream Quest: Starring Jenna Jameson, Asia Carere, Stephanie Swift (I don't know the names of her other costars). Very good production values, and a story that could be used in a mainstream film. Jenna travels to another dimension of swords & sorcery to rescue Fantasy from an evil emperor. Unless Fantasy is freed, all fantasy, imagination, romance, passion, etc, will fade from all worlds. The sets, costumes, visual effects, and everything were very well done. Again, the one and only sword fight was very poorly choreographed, but that's my only complaint.

*Promiscuous Person* Of The Rings: Starring Aurora Snow, Napolean,Khylie Ireland, and others. This is obviously a parody of The Lord Of The Rings. The sets, special effects, costumes, etc, were about as cheesy as you'd come to expect from a porno. The story was very D&D-ish though, and different enough from it's source material that it could almost be used as a D&D adventure.

If you're wondering how I know so much about porn, I used to work for Adults Only Video.

starfalconkd
06-03-2008, 06:26 AM
While not quite DnD-esq, anyone consider Big Trouble in Little China? C'mon folks, how can you miss that one?
Jack Burton (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000621/): What's in the flask, Egg? Magic potion?
Egg Shen (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0939378/): Yeah.
Jack Burton (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000621/): Thought so, good. What do we do, drink it?
Egg Shen (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0939378/): Yeah!
Jack Burton (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000621/): Good, thought so.

I made up an NPC spellcaster based on Egg Shen. I had such a good time playing that guy... He was an Adept with lots of one shot magic junk. I kept his background fairly mysterious, but I think at least one person caught on to where the idea came from.

tesral
06-03-2008, 09:51 AM
If you're wonderAdults Only Ving how I know so much about porn, I used to work for Adults Only Video.

Sounds like they would make a good adults only bad movie night.

victim666
06-03-2008, 11:48 AM
I would have to say Willow and The Princess Bride as my alltime favorites.

LOTR is a given. Beastmaster was great.

Another Arnold film, Red Sonja.

Demandred69
06-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Some of the Great ones:

Krull
Dragonslayer
Willow
Princess Bride
Record of Lodoss War (anime series)
Vampire Hunter D (anime horror, fantasy)
Vampire Hunter D; Bloodlust (same as above)
Clash of The Titans
7th Voyage of Sinbad
Jason & The Argonauts (both the orig. and the Hallmark remake)
Conan
Berserk (anime)
Dark Crystal
Sword & the Stone
Excalibur
Wizards (Scifi, Fantasy)
Dinotopia; Mini series (tv series was ...ok)
13th Warrior
7 Samurai
Master of Flying Guilitine
Spirited Away (anime movie)
Howl's Moving Castle (anime movie)
Chronicles of Narnia: both are solid
LOTR Trilogy: was decent. A bit winded but decent
Final Fantasy; Advent Children
The Storyteller
Neverending Story; 1st one was very good. Sequal was...er...ok
Rann
King Arthur
Son of Hercules vs. Medusa
Basilisk (anime based on Shinobi)
----------------------------------------------
Cheesey or a bit inflated, but enjoyable:
Shinobi
Sword & The Sorcerer
Labyrinth
Archer: Exile from Empire
Reign of Fire
Conan The Destroyer
Outlaws of Gor
Gor
DeathStalker ( 1st one) the others were clones; there were 4
Fire & Ice
Pathfinder
Beuwulf
Grendal
Eragon
Nausicaa ; Valley of the wind (not cheesey. solid good)
The Vikings
Minotaur
Red Sonya; was ok, I guess
Helen of Troy
Troy; overrated but ok
Gojoe
------------------------------------
Terrible;

:(Dungeons & Dragons The Movie; Sequal was kinda ok (terrible choreography)
:(Hercules; w/ Lou Ferigno
:(Barbarians

I do not include any of my dinosaur movies, such as Clan of Cave Bear, Planet of The Dinosaurs, Island/People that Time Forgot, Caveman, Quest for Fire exc. exc. These are dino movies.

Vulture
06-04-2008, 07:18 AM
LOTR Extended cut

tesral
06-04-2008, 10:44 AM
LOTR Extended cut

WOOT!

Takes a week to watch it, but it's worth the time.

Tony Misfeldt
06-04-2008, 06:42 PM
I would have to say Willow and The Princess Bride as my alltime favorites.

LOTR is a given.

Agreed

Beastmaster was great.

Up until the very end. That was a Deus Ex Machina if ever I saw one.

Another Arnold film, Red Sonja.
You're kidding right? The sets, the costumes, the writing... the pornos I've listed above were done better.

Tony Misfeldt
06-04-2008, 06:44 PM
WOOT!

Especially if you're going to watch all the "Making Of" featurettes. The movies themselves only take about a day.

tesral
06-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Especially if you're going to watch all the "Making Of" featurettes. The movies themselves only take about a day.

The Whole Day.

I will watch a disk a night. Six nights to finish the extended edition.

Vulture
06-05-2008, 07:24 AM
WOOT!

my brother and i managed it in one weekend, but we didnt leave the house the whole weekend

willow is also good and Princess Mononoke

victim666
06-05-2008, 08:15 AM
You're kidding right? The sets, the costumes, the writing... the pornos I've listed above were done better.

I liked it. I thought the kid was funny.

Plus that chick was hot.:)

tesral
06-05-2008, 09:56 AM
my brother and i managed it in one weekend, but we didnt leave the house the whole weekend.

Have you gotten out of Middle Earth yet?

Tony Misfeldt
06-11-2008, 08:54 PM
I liked it. I thought the kid was funny.

Plus that chick was hot.:)

1) The sets looked like the producers went to Gene Roddenberry's yard sale and bought all his classic Star Trek props.

2) Ernie Reyes Jr.'s character, Prince Tarn Of Hablok, was funny when he was first introduced. Then he was just annoying. I think he was George Lucas's inspiration for Jar-Jar Binks.

3) Brigitte Nielson was a hotty back then (if you've seen The Surreal Life and Celebrity Rehab you'll know she hasn't aged very gracefully at all). However, her red wig looked fake.

4) Why the hell were Brytag's guards all dressed like lizards?

5) The fake blood looked fake. Hell, the blood in The Shogun Assassin was more realistic looking.

6) The special FX were awful. Especially Queen Gedrin's pet giant spider and the mechagator in the dungeon.

7) Most damning of all, the movie ended with Sonja breaking her vow to her goddess and she kissed Kalidor without first being defeated in one on one combat.

MooseAlmighty
06-12-2008, 10:50 AM
also on my fav. list is the horrible B rated move Hawk the Slayer. it took me forever to find it. I saw it when I was a Kid and could still remember the Elf (who looked a lot like Spock.) firing arrows like a machine gun.

Hawk the Slayer!!! holy cow... almost forgot about that one. yeah the looping video for the guy with a fully automatic crossbow and the fully automatic elf. Man I barely remember anything else about it.

Thanks to recent movies my 8 yr old daughter has gotten very interested in the fantasy genre with Narnia, Golden Compass, Spiderwick etc. She requested the Spiderwick books for her birthday. And she and my 5 year old son are hooked on the superhero wave too. It seemed all too quiet the other day, but it turned out that she was reading a book and he was reading a Scrooge McDuck comic. :D

Maybe not a fantasy film but all three of us were laughing at Kung Fu Panda

Engar
06-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Heh, I am wrong and know it. I didn't even read the other posts, but I have to shout out Dune as a favorite.

GoddessGood
06-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Which Dune? Old Dune or New Dune?

My sister is often fond of saying "My brother comes with many Fremen warriors" in that creepy voice ...

>.>
<.<

Engar
06-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Your sister is awesome. When she really likes you she might say, "For he is the Kwisatz Haderach". To quote another creepy character when she gets mad, "Just a little spittle on your face..." It has been a long time now since I last watched it. I'll have to get back to you with more.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-24-2008, 02:17 AM
Dragonslayer and 13th Warrior really captures the time and feel.

Thoth-Amon

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-24-2008, 02:24 AM
Even thought this was sort of a sleeper hit, it was quite good. I still watch it about every other year. Definitely recommended.

Thoth-Amon

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-24-2008, 02:26 AM
Hate me for saying this, but the best LOTR was the animated version. It really captured things.

Thoth-Amon

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-24-2008, 02:27 AM
I'm looking forward to reading the whole series. I just wont start them till they finish making all the movies.

Thoth-Amon

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-24-2008, 02:29 AM
Was it just me but i couldnt stand Merlin and the king. Cant expain why.

Thoth-Amon

Christopher_rowe
06-24-2008, 06:36 AM
Good thread--this is the kind of thing tabbed browsing was made for as I've been busily adding stuff to my Netflix queue as I read.

My favorite Robin Hood incarnation is the early eighties Michael Pare/Jason Connery BBC series, Robin of Sherwood, which played with Celtic mythology a lot and had a Clannad soundtrack. A bit "misty" at times, but fun--it established a lot of the modern tropes that most following versions have used, such as the Moor companion and the sheriff's characterization.

How about the first Highlander?

Moritz
06-25-2008, 08:03 AM
LotR - but I still think WotC should rewrite it so they can make more money.

Excalibur was amazing back in the day. Still has its' strong points and great acting.

Dragonslayer - something about that movie is just goodness.

mrken
06-25-2008, 04:03 PM
My favorite Robin Hood incarnation is the early eighties Michael Pare/Jason Connery BBC series, Robin of Sherwood, which played with Celtic mythology a lot and had a Clannad soundtrack. A bit "misty" at times, but fun--it established a lot of the modern tropes that most following versions have used, such as the Moor companion and the sheriff's characterization.

How about the first Highlander?

Two excellent choices. Would love to see the Robin Hood series back on the tube. Would be worth watching again. Thought about buying the series on DVD but I think it was only to be sold to select collectors. :(

As for Highlander, my wife bought that one. lol

Moritz
06-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Two excellent choices. Would love to see the Robin Hood series back on the tube. Would be worth watching again. Thought about buying the series on DVD but I think it was only to be sold to select collectors. :(

As for Highlander, my wife bought that one. lol

Robin Hood - Isn't it currently being produced by BBCAmerica ? I see advertisements for it every so often.

Christopher_rowe
06-25-2008, 04:39 PM
There have been several BBC Robin Hood series. I haven't seen the most recent one. The one we're talking about, though, early-eighties hair and all, is available on Netflix. Look for Robin of Sherwood.

mrken
06-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I was talking about the one from the eighties r/t the new one which I haven't even seen one episode of. Not really much of a TV kind of guy. Did watch Beauty and the Geek for a few weeks but it is pretty lame television. And before that was West Wing. Not much of a Liberal but that show was way too good for television. Wife let me buy the DVD's without one complaint.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Willow and the Princess Bride were incredible. I still watch them from time to time.

Thoth-Amon

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Flesh and Blood. I thought this was a great movie although the critcs of the time seemed to disagree. Oh well, waht do they know. After all, they did say that Star Wars '77(SW4) was horrible. They later publically recanted, not surprisingly.

Thoth-Amon

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-26-2008, 10:27 PM

Nothing wrong with the Seven Samurai. It's a classic all the way. I watch it probably once a year.

Thoth-Amon

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Fire and Ice and The Last Unicorn were really good... and both animated.

Thoth-Amon

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Which Dune? Old Dune or New Dune?

My sister is often fond of saying "My brother comes with many Fremen warriors" in that creepy voice ...

>.>
<.<
Put me down for old "Dune."

Thoth-Amon

Igbutton
06-26-2008, 11:58 PM
The Dungeons and Dragons live action movie.

I kid, I kid.

Princess Bride, Willow, A Knight's Tale, Robin Hood I love them all really.

Mead
06-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Since all the obvious ones have already been mentioned, I rather enjoyed Sam Neill's Merlin.

Malruhn
06-28-2008, 02:30 PM
That was an interesting retelling of the story! And I really liked the actors selected for the various roles.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-29-2008, 02:13 AM
I never did understand the draw of pokeman and digiman.

Thoth-Amon

Igbutton
06-29-2008, 03:22 AM
The draw of pokemon/digimon is pretty easy to understand.

It stars children and has them triumphing over the villain. What kid doesn't imagine themselves as a hero?

The plot is simple with clearly defined roles of good and evil. A child can actually follow the plot rather than get lost and bored trying to follow it.

The children's compainons are cute little things with fantastic powers and unshakable loyalty. I led my own teddy bears against legions of foul creatures and we always prevailed.

Here's a question. Have you ever gone back and watched He-Man or Transformers or some show you loved when you were a kid? I have, and man were they bad.

I think the reason you don't understand why children watch pokemon/digimon is because you aren't a kid.

kirksmithicus
07-03-2008, 10:41 PM
I don't know if I can pin down my favorite fantasy movie, but my favorite fantasy movie villain, now that's easy. James Earl Jones as Thulsa Doom, totally awesome.

upidstay
07-04-2008, 07:05 AM
All of my faves have been listed, but I gotta admit, and I think pretty much everyone will agree:

If it's got swords and/or sorcery theme to it, I'll watch it. No matter how bad the acting, story, effects, etc.

cplmac
07-05-2008, 07:31 PM
All of my faves have been listed, but I gotta admit, and I think pretty much everyone will agree:

If it's got swords and/or sorcery theme to it, I'll watch it. No matter how bad the acting, story, effects, etc.

Here, here! I have to say that I resemble the previous post.

mrken
07-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Wifey is cueing up Twin Towers, gotta go. :lol:

Engar
07-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Since so many great examples are already taken I put forth The Wizard of Oz. Classic fantasy movie with mainstream acceptance. The books where not bad when I was a kid either.

tesral
07-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Since so many great examples are already taken I put forth The Wizard of Oz. Classic fantasy movie with mainstream acceptance. The books where not bad when I was a kid either.

Yea, point noted and taken.

Tomcat1066
07-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Many of my favorites have been listed already. Movies like Kull the Conqueror, Willow, LOTR, Sword and the Sorcerer, Stardust (De Niro as a gay pirate? What's not to like?), etc.

One that hasn't been listed that I personally like is The Mists of Avalon. The book is far better, and it's technically a mini-series, but it was still fun :D

Oedipussy Rex
07-08-2008, 10:57 PM
I have to chime in with West Side Story. You have Sharks fighting Jets, which throws in a little sci-fi. But what sets it firmly in the realm of fantasy is you have a man running through the center of Spanish Harlem yelling, "Maria!" and only one woman looks out the window.

tesral
07-09-2008, 01:42 AM
I have to chime in with West Side Story. You have Sharks fighting Jets, which throws in a little sci-fi. But what sets it firmly in the realm of fantasy is you have a man running through the center of Spanish Harlem yelling, "Maria!" and only one woman looks out the window.

SNERK!!!!

Tony Misfeldt
07-09-2008, 07:32 PM

Yeah, I saw that guy's comedy act too.

(Oedipussy Rex stole that joke from a stand up comic, FYI)

wizarddog
07-10-2008, 05:55 AM
I always used Hawk the Slayer as the standard for fantasy films as it pretty much had everything. Plenty of crappy films came after to compare.

I would also include:

The Hobbit (Animated) pretty good pacing in that story.

Grendal was pretty darn good--better than that Beuwolf CGI crapper.

Their was a "Hawk the Slayer era" mini movie series called The Archer. Throw it in with all them late 90's shows Hercules and Conan the Adventurer (Go Storm!)

A classic Bergman is the Seventh Seal.

AND WE CERTAINLY CAN'T FORGET MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL!

Some of the more fantasy/strange films are my Terry Gilliam films--Time Bandits, 7 Monkeys, The Fisher King, Brazil, Baron Muanchuser, Tideland (probably saved him from oblivion)
with City of Lost Children and Dark City being good films if not sword and sorcery.

Oedipussy Rex
07-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Yeah, I saw that guy's comedy act too.

(Oedipussy Rex stole that joke from a stand up comic, FYI)

The Classics are classic for a reason. Why are The Three Stooges so funny? Because violence as humor has been around longer than fire. Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.

tesral
07-11-2008, 12:01 PM
The Classics are classic for a reason. Why are The Three Stooges so funny? Because violence as humor has been around longer than fire. Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.

Comedy is pain. You laugh becasue it is true and it hurts.

Oedipussy Rex
07-11-2008, 02:54 PM

Close. Comedy is pain; preferably someone else's.

Tomcat1066
07-11-2008, 04:35 PM

Nah...your pain is pretty funny too.

:D

cplmac
07-12-2008, 05:50 PM

Nah...your pain is pretty funny too.

:D

<taken from the back of a shirt that I have>

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Of course on the front it reads, USMC.

Tomcat1066
07-13-2008, 07:38 AM

I used to see that one in the gym all the time when I worked out on base. Seemed appropriate ;)

tesral
07-13-2008, 10:32 AM

"That which does not kill us will really piss us off."

Engar
07-13-2008, 01:03 PM
semper fi!

Tony Misfeldt
07-13-2008, 03:23 PM
"That which does not kill us will really piss us off."
I have one that reads "Sticks & Stones May Break My Bones, But Whips & Chains Excite Me". I used to wear it into the ring when I wrestled.

cplmac
07-14-2008, 07:11 PM
semper fi!

Thank You.

I have one that reads "Sticks & Stones May Break My Bones, But Whips & Chains Excite Me". I used to wear it into the ring when I wrestled.

:eek:

nijineko
07-14-2008, 08:16 PM
i think i would have to forfit that one.... ;D

Jcosby
07-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Well... Since I love Fantasy and I love Movies.. this is always a hard list.. It would be impossible for me to list my favorite fantasy movie of all time. But I can narrow it down to a top 10....ish..

LotR's
The Princess Bride
Pirates of the Caribbean (Black Pearl)
Dragon Slayer
Lady Hawk
Reign of Fire
Conan the Barbarian
Time Bandits
Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail
Clash of Titans
Jason and the Argunauts

All greats, and I'm sure I left out 20 more..

Jeff

Briarthorn
08-13-2008, 03:52 AM
Excalibur
Willow
Lord of the Rings (Goes without saying)
Ladyhawke
Princess Bride

Beastmaster & Master of the Universe (I stole my brother's battle cat so my barbie doll could have a pet tiger. A hunter character at heart even in my youth)

Time Bandits
Clash of Titans

Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail (Hell, anything done by Monty Python is great even if it isn’t fantasy)

DMMike
08-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Has anyone mentioned Dungeons and Dragons: Scourge of Worlds yet? I mean come on, how many fantasy movies let you choose the path of the characters?

Briarthorn
08-13-2008, 01:34 PM
*Gasps* I forgot to add dragon heart... That was a great movie.

Valdar
08-13-2008, 02:36 PM
I never did understand the draw of pokeman and digiman.

Thoth-Amon

Lore Sjoberg had a theory about that:

Battle Beyond the Stores (http://www.brunching.com/toybattle.html)

For fantasy movies, there have been some pretty good ones recently. Mirrormask and Pan's Labyrinth come to mind.

Briarthorn
08-14-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm pretty much burned out on the whole Aurthur thing. It always ends the same way, everyone dies. Excalibur was, well, not the best telling of the tale. Slightly better than Disney's Sword in the Stone.

Crash of the Titans. Ghodd save us. It is chock full of Appropriate Stupidity. I won't even start on how they chucked Greek Myth into the blender and hit "puree". It had a few, very few good moments. But for the most part Harry Harryhausen has made better films. Much better films. I would place Crash at the bottom of the heap.

I'm not saying they were greatly done. I agree with alot of what you say, however, I was a child when they came out and they were my first real glimpses of fantasy. I'll always hold them dear for that alone.

Tony Misfeldt
08-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Has anyone mentioned Dungeons and Dragons: Scourge of Worlds yet? I mean come on, how many fantasy movies let you choose the path of the characters?

Haven't seen it yet. Trying to find a copy to ad to my collection. I hear it's pretty good though.

Chasing Amy. Kevin Smith is an awsome director, it has Jay & Silent Bob in it, and any story where Ben Afflek (of all people) actually gets a *woman in comfortable shoes* to dump her girlfriend for him is most deffintately a fantasy film.

DMMike
08-23-2008, 12:13 PM
::Wondering if the edit removed the explanation for Chasing Amy being in a fantasy movies thread::

For those of you who haven't seen Dragon Slayer, I saw it once as a kid, and wrote it off thereafter as cheesy fantasy. I saw it again as an adult, and was pleasantly surprised at its artistic qualities.

And for the record, I really don't see how any fantasy movie to date, even Dungeons and Dragons II, can compete with LOTR.

mrken
08-23-2008, 12:37 PM
LotR is Fantasy!!! I thought it was history, from the, you know, second and third age of mankind. :D The movie is so good and realistic. Does not have even a hint of fantasy in it, except for the dragons and orcs and elves and hobbits and dwarves and wisards and magic and, well... Yeah, I guess it is fantasy, it just seems so real.

Oedipussy Rex
08-23-2008, 01:36 PM
::Wondering if the edit removed the explanation for Chasing Amy being in a fantasy movies thread::

Crude comments about a man having an intimate relationship with a lesbian.

DMMike
08-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Man having intimate relationship with lesbian...okay that qualifies as fantasy.
:focus:

Chi
08-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Gosh there are so many! But At the top will always be lord of the rings.

Valdar
08-24-2008, 11:56 PM
LotR is Fantasy!!!

Back in the day, Fantasy was basically LotR :D

tesral
08-25-2008, 12:21 AM
Back in the day, Fantasy was basically LotR :D

It's the big dog of the twentieth century, but it is hardly the whole of the body of work. Fantasy goes back a long long way.

Webhead
08-25-2008, 08:36 AM
It's the big dog of the twentieth century, but it is hardly the whole of the body of work. Fantasy goes back a long long way.

On that note, I wonder if there's ever been an attempt (on small or big screen) to render the Epic of Gilgamesh in film form.

Gilgamesh, Beowulf and the Illiad/Oddessy are my favorites of early "classical" fantasy. I know Beowulf and Homer's works have been given various "cinematic" treatments (with mixed results at best), but when I think about it, I've not seen Gilgamesh on screen.

mrken
08-25-2008, 09:58 AM
You've not sen Gilgamesh because I believe it has not been done in film. Think about it, who knows history? No one knows history any longer. I talk to young people and they don't even know the history of the last century, and barely know any of the history of what happened past that. They know that Europe has a history longer than the history of the U.S. but could not tell you much of anything about it. And then the history of the Oriental peoples, what is that? They have no clue. So if you ask them about 2700 BC, many don't even know there were civilizations back that far. History to most these days is fifty years ago.

kirksmithicus
09-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Well 50 is the age at which an object officially becomes a historic object.

History is like...so fifty years ago....uhh please.

tesral
09-01-2008, 01:45 AM
Well 50 is the age at which an object officially becomes a historic object.

History is like...so fifty years ago....uhh please.

I'm historic.....Someone would say hysteric.

Fact of the matter good never gets old. Just because something is not new or has a certain patina of age about it does not automagically relegate it to the scrap heap of history.

That might be a shallow PoV, and does not serve one well.

nijineko
09-01-2008, 02:35 PM
may i suggest for contemplation, in no particular order:

the sinbad movies: in particular the one with the skeleton fight.

the raven: the one with vincent price in it. ( i think that's the name of the movie )

krull: rementioning this one. nostalgia.

the adventures of baron munchausen: (i might be spelling that name wrong....)

epic of gilgamesh: yes, it's been done. you just need to learn hindi to fully enjoy it, if i recall correctly. i don't know if bollywood released an english translation or subbed version or not. i know cause i found a copy of it once.

seven samurai: maybe no magic, but awesome adventuring party. in fact, check out anything by akira kurosawa. especially if toshiro mifune is in it. (the hidden fortress, redbeard, samurai I and II and III, yojimbo, sakuranbo... just to name a few more ^^)

samurai seven: interesting anime take on the above movie. more futuristic than anything else, but any time a dude in hakama and sandles can take on multiple 20 story mecha in a mid-air duel with just a sword and win...? fantasy.

seirei no moribito (guardians of the sacred spirit): hands down awesome anime. some of the best characterizations i've ever seen in an anime, indeed in just about any media. the female lead is... astonishing... inspirational. i want to meet the creator for her character.

tesral
09-02-2008, 12:28 AM
the sinbad movies: in particular the one with the skeleton fight.

the magician: the one with vincent price in it. ( i think that's the name of the movie )

krull: rementioning this one. nostalgia.

seven samurai: maybe no magic, but awesome adventuring party. in fact, check out anything by akira kurosawa. especially if toshiro mifune is in it. (the hidden fortress, redbeard, samurai I and II and III, yojimbo, sakuranbo... just to name a few more ^^)

The Raven: Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff. It's a fun little horror romp. A film I am fond of. Oh yea the fresh faced kid named Jack Nickleson.

From Akira Kurosawa if you can find it Castle of Blood, a Japanese retelling of "McBeth". As usual, very well done.

Krull is a classic D&D film with the Quest, the Party and so forth.

nijineko
09-02-2008, 09:49 PM
thank you for the correction about "the raven". i thought i might have been wrong, but was too tired to look it up and track down the right name at the time. ^^

Tony Misfeldt
09-02-2008, 10:23 PM

samurai seven: interesting anime take on the above movie. more futuristic than anything else, but any time a dude in hakama and sandles can take on multiple 20 story mecha in a mid-air duel with just a sword and win...? fantasy.

While there aren't any fantasy versions of this movie, there were a few sci-fi versions. Battle Beyond The Stars is one classic example. Roger Coreman might not be a great film maker, but his movies are quite fun. Another I belive was called A Call From Across The Galaxy. Never actually seen this one, but I heard about it second hand. And how can we forget The Mystery Men? Virtually the exact same story, except none of the seven heroes die in this one.

Tony Misfeldt
09-02-2008, 10:39 PM
A couple more of my favorites...

Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Okay, the movie blew chunks. But it was the catalyst for the TV series which totally kicked @$$, so I have to give it props for that at least.

Thundarr The Barbarian: Not actually a movie, but a Saturday morning cartoon. However, I loved as a kid and I've just purchased some bootleg DVDs of the complete series and it's just as good as I remember. Also, it was totally cutting edge in its day. It was the first action adventure cartoon to actually show you the action! In other cartoons, the hero (Batman or Spiderman for example) would be surrounded by the head bad guy's henchmen. Then we'd see an empty piece of scenery and the thugs go flying by after a quick series of SMACK! BIFF! POW! Then the scene would shake as we hear a loud series of crashes. Then we'd see the thugs all lying in a heap surrounded by broken furniture. Then there'd be our hero, dusting off his hands and saying something cheesey like "That takes care of those creeps". Thundarr actually showed you Thundarr and Ookla kicking butt. I understand one of the shows writers, Bill Dixon, wrote a feature length script for a Thundarr Movie (though whether it was supposed to be an animated feature or live action I'm not sure). I'd love to see that script. I'd love even more to see it get produced. Perhaps with Tyler Mane as Thundarr, Tia Carere as Princess Ariel, "The Great Khali" Dalib Singh as Ookla, and Michael Ironside as the evil wizard Gemini.

Chi
09-02-2008, 10:51 PM
A couple more of my favorites...

Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Okay, the movie blew chunks. But it was the catalyst for the TV series which totally kicked @$$, so I have to give it props for that at least.

Thundarr The Barbarian: Not actually a movie, but a Saturday morning cartoon. However, I loved as a kid and I've just purchased some bootleg DVDs of the complete series and it's just as good as I remember. Also, it was totally cutting edge in its day. It was the first action adventure cartoon to actually show you the action! In other cartoons, the hero (Batman or Spiderman for example) would be surrounded by the head bad guy's henchmen. Then we'd see an empty piece of scenery and the thugs go flying by after a quick series of SMACK! BIFF! POW! Then the scene would shake as we hear a loud series of crashes. Then we'd see the thugs all lying in a heap surrounded by broken furniture. Then there'd be our hero, dusting off his hands and saying something cheesey like "That takes care of those creeps". Thundarr actually showed you Thundarr and Ookla kicking butt. I understand one of the shows writers, Bill Dixon, wrote a feature length script for a Thundarr Movie (though whether it was supposed to be an animated feature or live action I'm not sure). I'd love to see that script. I'd love even more to see it get produced. Perhaps with Tyler Mane as Thundarr, Tia Carere as Princess Ariel, "The Great Khali" Dalib Singh as Ookla, and Michael Ironside as the evil wizard Gemini.
The movie was not that bad, but tv show was definatly better.

Tony Misfeldt
09-03-2008, 10:48 PM
The movie was not that bad, but tv show was definatly better.

I'd say the movie was barely watchable. When I first heard about the TV show I thought "God, wasn't the movie bad enough? Now they have to torture us with Buffy on a weekly basis?" and I boycotted the TV show for the entire first season. Then I just happened to catch an episode one night during season two. What can I say? I was hooked. I was like "Yeah! Now this is what the movie should have been like!"

kirksmithicus
09-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Okay, I've thought about this quite a bit since my last post in here and I've decided, Conan rules! accent and all. LOTR is okay if you're into saving the world and all of that crap, but for kickin' ass and taken names, Conan The Barbarian wins.

The sequels were atrocious though.

Chi
09-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Okay, I've thought about this quite a bit since my last post in here and I've decided, Conan rules! accent and all. LOTR is okay if you're into saving the world and all of that crap, but for kickin' ass and taken names, Conan The Barbarian wins.

We had a husky that we named Conan the barbarian

Mead
09-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Another great one is Cast a Deadly Spell, not traditional fantasy, but certainly fantastic.

kirksmithicus
09-11-2008, 12:34 AM
I'm historic.....Someone would say hysteric.

Fact of the matter good never gets old. Just because something is not new or has a certain patina of age about it does not automagically relegate it to the scrap heap of history.

That might be a shallow PoV, and does not serve one well.

I agree, Nihilism isn't a good thing. I was merely trying to do an impersonation of my 15 year old niece. "LIKE OH MY GAWD!, 37!? YOU ARE LIKE FREAKIN' ANCIENT!" :lol:

patina of age I think that's what I'll call being grumpy and cynical from hence forth *Shakes fist at stupid teenagers on the lawn*

Tony Misfeldt
09-15-2008, 07:03 PM

Conan is doubly awsome when you think about the time it was filmed in and how difficult the special effects must have been to pull off back then.

Another favorite of mine is the 1977 original Star Wars. It has all the elements of a great fantasy film. It has sword fighting, an evil wizard, a group of heroes on a quest, a beautiful princess/damsel in distress, an impenetrable fortress. It could be a D&D game set in the Spelljammer campaign setting.

nijineko
09-15-2008, 07:11 PM
"i see that your brilliant weapon is just as big as my brilliant weapon...."

raven21
09-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Krull

Chi
09-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Conan is doubly awsome when you think about the time it was filmed in and how difficult the special effects must have been to pull off back then.

Another favorite of mine is the 1977 original Star Wars. It has all the elements of a great fantasy film. It has sword fighting, an evil wizard, a group of heroes on a quest, a beautiful princess/damsel in distress, an impenetrable fortress. It could be a D&D game set in the Spelljammer campaign setting.
I used to think star wars was silly, then I went to celebration three in Indiana and now look at me I play Star Wars Saga.

Mindbomb
09-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Well since I've scanned all 12 pages and seen no mention of them I'll toss them up for discussion.

Possibly the greatest fantasy ever: Alice in Wonderland (although the book is even leagues beyond that)

And some of my favorites: Heavy Metal, and yes even Heavy Metal 2000 although they are arguably more sci-fi than fantasy.

And while I did see someone mention Peter-Pan(2003)(which I didn't see), no one has mentoined Hook with Robin Williams which is another personal favorite..

Also the entire BBC versions of The Chronicles of Narnia. The new Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe was great but I didn't care for Prince Caspian(it was ok, just not great, I actually prefer the book more to the former) I'm still anxious to see how they do Voyage of the Dawn Treader and a little upset that they won't be doing my favorite; The Silver Chair

Webhead
09-16-2008, 10:16 PM
...And while I did see someone mention Peter-Pan(2003)(which I didn't see), no one has mentoined Hook with Robin Williams which is another personal favorite...

I really liked Hook as well, and I always seem to be in the minority when I say that. You just can't beat Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman, plus Julia Roberts as Tink!

Haven't watched it in several years. I really need to do so again.

kirksmithicus
09-16-2008, 10:55 PM
Excalibur (1979) is also an excellent movie.

tesral
09-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Excalibur (1979) is also an excellent movie.

It had it's points. But too many giggle scenes when you shouldn't be giggling.

boulet
09-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Still better than First Knight
:drum:

Tony Misfeldt
09-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Still better than First Knight
:drum:

I'll second that!

Chi
09-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Hook and Alice in wonderland are awsome movies.