PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Of All Time?

Mulsiphix
02-13-2008, 11:12 PM
What do you think is the greatest Sci-Fi movie(s) of all time and why?

nijineko
02-14-2008, 02:15 AM
the original 'planet of the apes'. very little beats the last scene with the statue. (i'll not say which, just in case someone hasn't seen it.) ^^

i have to admit a fondness for 'the black hole'.

MortonStromgal
02-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Aliens, I don't know why its just my favorite.

Drohem
02-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Yes, Aliens rocked! Space Marines kicking bug arse is awsome!

Mulsiphix
02-14-2008, 01:00 PM
I think Aliens (the 2nd, not series) is my all time favorite. Aliens VS Predator is also absolutely delicious. I've followed the comics and console games and other merchandise since I was a child. When they made Aliens VS Predator I was in heaven. Absolute heaven! :D

Yes, Aliens rocked! Space Marines kicking bug arse is awsome!Sure you aren't thinking of another classic, Starship Troopers? ;)

Drohem
02-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Sure you aren't thinking of another classic, Starship Troopers? ;)

Nope, Starship Troopers was cool. but I'm talking about Aliens man!

Cpl. Hicks
Pvt. Hudson
Lt. Gorman
Pvt. Vasquez
Sgt. Apone
Pvt. Drake
Pvt. Frost
Pvt. Frost
Cpl. Ferro
Pvt. Spunkmeyer
Cpl. Dietrich
Pvt. Crowe
Pvt. Wierzbowski

Aliens = bugs

Space Marines wasting Aliens = Space Marines kicking bug arse! Yeah! :cool:

Mulsiphix
02-14-2008, 02:25 PM
I've audio dubbed my voice over the entire film more times than I can remember. I had so much fun with this film through highschool :p

Drohem
02-14-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure exactly were this movie falls, but I really liked Altered States with William Hurt.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080360/

Drohem
02-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Doh! How could I forget Heavy Metal! Rock'n'Roll soundtrack and animation- great combo!

Citadel
02-14-2008, 07:12 PM
I'ld have to say Spaceballs

ruelk
02-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Blade Runner

rabkala
02-14-2008, 08:23 PM
How can nobody name Star Wars yet? It was incredible, and definitely the best ever. Empire Strikes Back is a close second.

Aliens is way good in a Sci fi/horror way.
Blade Runner was an awesome look at a Dark Future.
A Clockwork Orange is the best for bizarre and unique Sci fi.
The Matrix is tops for cyber-fi.
The Terminator series is still king of post appocalyptic cyborg action.

Many good movies...

tesral
02-14-2008, 09:42 PM
2001 A Space Odessy --While the story was not the most engaging ever (as filmed) it did break ground that led to later films.

Forbidden Planet -- Edgy, the plot is not all that unique The Tempest retold. However the concept that Earth people flew the flying saucers (I love the C-57D cruiser. Classic ship) was new. What Forbidden Planet did do is lead directly to Star Trek. (Among the props in Capitan Pike's quarters is a hat that looks like it came right off the set of Forbidden Planet. You never saw anyone wear one and hats got banished from the show in the second pilot, but it was there. The feel of The Cage, Star Trek's unaired first pilot is very much Forbidden Planet: the Series) Star Trek the most prolific and to my mind best SF show series ever. Star Trek led to Star Wars, and that broke down the door for SF. It was no longer relegated to the B films.

Day the Earth Stood Still -- Edge of the seat intense even if the FX are old and dated.

Zardoz -- Best ever? No, not really. But it is, weird. I like it. It's, weird.

Metropolis -- The allegory is heavy handed, it can drag on for the person used to color and sound, but Fritz Lang's parable is outstanding. I remember first seeing it at a Con and sitting with my mouth open for the whole thing. At the beginning of film itself Fritz Lang did wonders with nothing!

Citadel
02-15-2008, 10:53 AM
How can nobody name Star Wars yet? It was incredible, and definitely the best ever. Empire Strikes Back is a close second.

Aliens is way good in a Sci fi/horror way.
Blade Runner was an awesome look at a Dark Future.
The Matrix is tops for cyber-fi.
The Terminator series is still king of post appocalyptic cyborg action.

Many good movies...

I thought Star Wars was a given? Now I know I'm going to get boo'd so get it out now...:rolleyes: OK personally I like Empire Strikes Back better because Lucas didn't direct it. I give the man props for comming up with the idea and all, but I don't like his directing.

Inquisitor Tremayne
02-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Wow! I can't believe someone actually opened this can of worms!

The entire ALIEN trilogy!

Notice I did not say Quadrilogy or whatever.

Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3, are hands down my favorite sci-fi movies of all time AND my top three favorite movies of all time!

I am glad to see so many others feel the same way.

Of course Star Wars (the saga) has a close place in my heart but not even close to Alien.

Here is a little synopsis of my favorite star wars movies in order and why they are in that order.

Enjoy!

I heart Star Wars.

Yes. Its true. I really do. I donít think there is anything I hate about Star Wars. Well, except for the new song and dance number in Episode VI but that is easily bypassed.

I even love the new 3 movies, The Phantom Menace, The Clone Wars, and Revenge of the Sith. Yes. Its true. Call me what you will, I think they are awesome! In fact here is how I would rank all of the movies in order from most favorite to least.

1) Revenge of the Sith

2) Return of the Jedi

3) Empire Strike Back

4) The Clone Wars

5) A New Hope

6) The Phantom Menace

Now, let me explain myself. First, Revenge of the Sith. This movie is AWESOME. There is no if, and, or but about it, this movie is the epitome of what I think Star Wars is. Therefore it is extremely successful in the enjoyment I get out of it. Even the crappy scene between Anakin and Padme that is horribly acted, I donít care, that is Star Wars.

Second, Return of the Jedi. Now it could be my nostalgia for the only movie of the original trilogy that I saw in the theater as a kid but I donít think so. This movie also fits what I feel Star Wars is. Not to mention the best space battle out of the ENTIRE saga and at that time the best lightsaber battle out of the trilogy. Though Luke and Vader in Empire is close. Oh, and speeder bikes!!?? Hello! Are those not totally awesome! I used to want one sooooo bad as a kid, who am I kidding, I still want one really bad! And all the hate directed toward the Ewoks. Really? Come on. For real, were they really THAT detrimental to the movie? I didnít think so.

Third, Empire Strike Back. I donít think I even need to say anything about this movie. I think its safe to say everyone loves it. But here is why its in my third place spot. The thing that makes this movie for me is that you get a real feel for the way life is in the rebellion. That they are the ones really struggling to make a difference and you really pull together for them. You also see that the galaxy has that lived in sort of feel that George really wanted to convey. That everything isnít all new and shiny but rugged and frontiers like. Plus it is a really well constructed film. But I just donít enjoy watching it as much as I do Jedi or Sith.

Fourth, The Clone Wars. Aside from Annoyakin and boring Padme this movie is pretty awesome too. You have Jedi doing their thing, Jango Fett being a badass, and Count Dooku and his cool evil self. Plus you get to see Obi Wan being the awesomeness that he is. Because all you see of him in the OT is a non-athletic old man. This movie is all around fun!

Fifth, A New Hope. Iíve never liked this movie. The only reasons its not last is because Luke is only SLIGHTLY more tolerable than Jar Jar, nostalgia, and it did kind of cement me into being a SW fan in the first place. But thats it! I canít stand this movie. I think its boring, poorly acted throughout the entire movie instead of just in pockets like the newer movies. Although it could just be the crappy directing job of Geroge. And GOSH DAMMIT I want to stab Mark Hamill in the face eveytime he says his lines! He is really the worst part of this movie for me I think. Yeah, I like all the humor and the camaraderie between the actors thats good, but the rest sucks.

Sixth The Phantom Menace. I think every reason to hate this movie has already been said by everyone else. Its only saving graces, Palpatine, Obi Wan, and of course Darth Maul. How freaking badas is Darth Maul!!?? Of course he got punked by Obi Wan, who didnít see that coming? But still he was freaking tough looking as crap! And all badas looking after killing Qui Gon. This movie almost beats out A New Hope based strictly on Darth Mauls badas rep.!

So thats it. I should mention that I watch at least one of these movies a day. So I think I have now seen all of the New Triology movies at least 50 times by now. The OT is waaaaay more than that. I think I watch the entire trilogy at least 5 times a month.

Its also not confined to the movies. Anything Star Wars related I canít get enough. Especially the comics! Christ could they be any awesomer? Then there is the roleplaying game! Like I couldnít get enough detailed information about Star Wars and they have to make a roleplaying game? Yes please! The only thing Iím not really into are the novels and Star Wars Lego. I donít know why. You would think the novels wouldnít be that far removed from the comics but there is just, I donít know, too much investment in that or something. And Star Wars lego, I mean the video game. I love the actual legos but not the game. Its too corny for me I think. Not that I am all serious business about Star Wars just, I donít know, its already corny enough. Iím not that into the action figures either but thats a whole other story. I think being dedicated to the RPG is bad enough. I donít need to throw action figures into the mess.

So, what else. The new Clone Wars cartoon. Awesome! But a little blown out of proportion with all the stuff the Jedi can do. I am super excited for the live action TV show. Damn I canít wait for that! I will get cable just for that. (Or if they ever had an ALIEN tv show. I wonder if that idea has been pitched?) Every Star Wars video game I am mad over. I want to go out and collect all the video games just to have them.

Anyway, so yeah,

I love Star Wars

MortonStromgal
02-15-2008, 03:17 PM
I thought Star Wars was a given? Now I know I'm going to get boo'd so get it out now...:rolleyes: OK personally I like Empire Strikes Back better because Lucas didn't direct it. I give the man props for comming up with the idea and all, but I don't like his directing.

I'm on your side. Cool concept, execution could have been a lot better and I'm talking about ep 4,5, & 6. 1,2, & 3 I wont even go there

Drohem
02-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Star Wars is a given, LOL! I was 12-years-old when it came out. I pestered every adult I knew to take to see this movie. Luckly, I lived in the L.A. area so I got to see it in all the cool Hollywood theaters before they have all been closed or destroyed. Luckly, my grandfather is the one who introduced me to reading fantasy and science-fiction, so he took me so many times that I don't even remember anymore. Also, he took me to see Conan the Barbarian in the theater, against my mother's wishes so we had to keep it a secret, LOL!

Mulsiphix
02-15-2008, 04:24 PM
I actually enjoyed Aliens 3 quite a bit. I've never found anybody else who felt the same :(. The fourth Alien movie was just heresy :mad:

Drohem
02-15-2008, 04:35 PM
The blatent Christ allegory was too much for me in Aliens 3.

boulet
02-15-2008, 04:46 PM
The fourth Alien movie was just heresy :mad:
Would you care to develop ?

Inquisitor Tremayne
02-15-2008, 04:56 PM
While its easy to pick up on I would say its far from detrimental to the movie. Alien 3 was an excellent end to the series, including the playback of the audio from the original movie. Ripley died on Fury 161.

Has anyone seen the 1950 movie, It! The Terror From Beyond Space?

Its said to be the inspiration for Alien, the producers of that movie almost sued for plagiarism.

Inquisitor Tremayne
02-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Would you care to develop ?

Aside from the fact that it was too campy. Here's my list.

Ripley is brought back to life. Lame and dumb. Even if she is an alien/human hybrid, dumb.

An Alien Queen that gives birth like a human. Dumb. Not acceptable. I refuse to stretch my imagination that far to include something this ridiculous.

This is probably the worst offense. So this Alien queen is giving birth. What is its offspring going to look like? Its the first born human/alien hybrid! The creature design team had this ONE chance to wow the Sci-Fi community with a hybrid version of probably THE coolest alien monster ever created for the movie screen, and they gave us this:

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/jmiller/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpghttp://www.nightmarefactory.com/AR108.jpg

Which not only is a poorly designed monster. It had none of its alien ferocity yet it acted like a human child.

Ugh!

I'm sure there is more to hate but I haven't watched this movie since it was released in the theaters and I dismissed it as soon as I left the theater.

boulet
02-15-2008, 05:12 PM
I found it was quite an original extrapolation of the Alien concept... I'm quite biased I like the director very much.

Inquisitor Tremayne
02-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Even great directors make crappy movies.

Just like great bands make crappy records.

Just like great artists make crappy art.

I REALLY liked Amelie! I saw it 6 times at the theater. Granted I did work there at the time.

And the City of Lost Children is AWESOME!

MortonStromgal
02-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Alien 3 was bad but salvageable. Killing off the family unit in the first 5 min of the film after spending most of Aliens trying to build it was a big mistake. However all would have been forgiven if Alien 4 had been decent :rolleyes:.

Inquisitor Tremayne
02-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Nothing, and I mean nothing about the world of Alien was happy or had a happy ending. Including the deleted scene of Ripley discovering that her real daughter died of old age.

So to have a happy ending with family and all that at the end of Aliens, it should be expected that something bad is going to happen.

Thats the alien universe.

It still sucks that they died in their cryo tubes with no chance.

Drohem
02-15-2008, 09:16 PM
The only cool thing for me about Alien Resurrection was Ron Perlman's character Johner, and the other mercenaries.

Mulsiphix
02-15-2008, 10:36 PM
I think they could have done so much more with Alien 4. Just seemed like an attempt to cash in on the franchise rather than to continue it in a respectable manner. Then again so did Terminator 3 :mad:

Riftwalker
02-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Speaking of Terminator, anyone watching the TV show?

rabkala
02-16-2008, 01:48 AM
Pitch Black

Lost in Space

Stargate

All deserving of mention.

Dimthar
02-16-2008, 06:01 PM
If animated movies count. One of my favorites is AKIRA.

5th Element (Not greatest but a really good movie).

I believe all my favorites were already mentioned.

I fail to see why Clockwork Orange should be considered as SciFi.

Inquisitor Tremayne
02-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Speaking of Pitch Black, The Chronicles of Riddick is pretty awesome.

rabkala
02-16-2008, 10:36 PM
If animated movies count. One of my favorites is AKIRA.

5th Element (Not greatest but a really good movie).

I believe all my favorites were already mentioned.
I fail to see why Clockwork Orange should be considered as SciFi.

It is more a sub-genre of speculative literature/science fiction called libertarian science fiction. It deals with a future time where the peoples Utopian dream is subverted by the state. It won the Prometheus Award and is highly regarded by many critics as a unique dystopian science fiction novel. While not the usual brainless flash bang special effects of modern sci-fi, it is most definitely sci-fi.

MortonStromgal
02-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Nothing, and I mean nothing about the world of Alien was happy or had a happy ending. Including the deleted scene of Ripley discovering that her real daughter died of old age.

So to have a happy ending with family and all that at the end of Aliens, it should be expected that something bad is going to happen.

Thats the alien universe.

It still sucks that they died in their cryo tubes with no chance.

I agree, I'm just against that they both died at the opening. Its like the writers just didn't want to have to deal with them. Bishop at leased got a tolerable death.

Mulsiphix
02-18-2008, 05:44 AM
I enjoyed The Island. Not quite a Sci-Fi movie but it doesn't really belong in any of the other "Greatest Movie" threads.

nijineko
02-19-2008, 06:39 AM
Forbidden Planet -- Edgy, the plot is not all that unique The Tempest retold. However the concept that Earth people flew the flying saucers (I love the C-57D cruiser. Classic ship) was new. What Forbidden Planet did do is lead directly to Star Trek. (Among the props in Capitan Pike's quarters is a hat that looks like it came right off the set of Forbidden Planet. You never saw anyone wear one and hats got banished from the show in the second pilot, but it was there. The feel of The Cage, Star Trek's unaired first pilot is very much Forbidden Planet: the Series) Star Trek the most prolific and to my mind best SF show series ever. Star Trek led to Star Wars, and that broke down the door for SF. It was no longer relegated to the B films.

Day the Earth Stood Still -- Edge of the seat intense even if the FX are old and dated.

Metropolis -- The allegory is heavy handed, it can drag on for the person used to color and sound, but Fritz Lang's parable is outstanding. I remember first seeing it at a Con and sitting with my mouth open for the whole thing. At the beginning of film itself Fritz Lang did wonders with nothing!

absolutely! i'm just sad i didn't think of posting these first! it's been so long since i've seen those! klaatu barada nikto! the 1951 version rules!

Inquisitor Tremayne
03-28-2008, 04:34 PM
absolutely! i'm just sad i didn't think of posting these first! it's been so long since i've seen those! klaatu barada nikto! the 1951 version rules!

WHAT! There is a newer version!?

Runs over to IMDB!!!

Rabiki
04-28-2008, 04:26 PM
StarWars...StarTrek...and The Matrix

Webhead
04-29-2008, 01:02 AM
There are a large number of good sci-fi movies out there. Alien, Aliens, The Matrix, Serenity, Men In Black, Terminator, Terminator 2, Solaris (the '70s Russian film, not the George Clooney one) and many others my tired brain can't conjure up at the moment. But here are a few of my top faves:

1) Original Star Wars Trilogy

2) Dark City

3) Galaxy Quest (love it, love it, love it...better than Spaceballs, and I like Spaceballs)

As far as how I would rank the 6 Star Wars films if under duress, I would probably cite the following from best to worst:

1) Return of the Jedi - This is a tough one, but if I had to, I think I would edge out Return just barely ahead of Empire mostly for the epic space battle and the final confrontation between Luke and Vader. In particular, the scene where Luke lashes out in anger toward Vader, momentarily embracing the Dark Side (accompanied by what I feel to be the most flawless and evocative piece of music in any of the Star Wars films) has always stuck out in my mind as purely excellent cinema.

2) Empire Strikes Back - I don't think I need to say anything about this film. You've either seen it and thus know its beauty, or you haven't and don't.

3) A New Hope - Classic, fantastic fun, exciting and the origin point for one of the greatest sci-fi epics of all time. I've heard people complain about "poor special effects-this" and "whiny Luke-that", but to be quite honest, this movie manages to capture your attention from the very beginning and never makes you regret a minute of it.

4) Attack of the Clones - An overall rock-em, sock-em Star Wars action-flick and probably the most consistently competent of the prequel films. Dooku was actually cool in this film and it marks the first Star Wars movie where we get to see more than 2 Jedi at a time kicking butt.

5) Revenge of the Sith - Filled with some really excellent action sequences. And then there's all that muck in between them...but hey, there's a lot of good action sequences (I tend to fast forward through the "talking" parts, particularly when they involve Manakin and Padme). Not to mention this film in no way convinced me of Anakin's fall. My god, there could have been such more powerful and compelling reasons for him to have embraced the Dark Side. But no, this would not be the way of things. His fall felt rushed and contrived (and quite frankly absurd) and I felt it cheapened the character...something you should not do to a villain as awesome as Darth Vader.

6) The Phantom Menace - There were few redeeming qualities to this film (namely Darth Maul and Jedi saber-goodness), but all it needed was strained dialog, poor acting and computer-generated fart jokes to drag it to the bottom of the barrel.

I did, however, thoroughly enjoy the Clone Wars animated series. Most excellent!

Inquisitor Tremayne
04-29-2008, 09:59 AM
*snip*

Well, since you brought it up, here is how I rank the Star Wars movies.

I LOVE Star Wars. Yes. Its true. I really do. I donít think there is anything I hate about Star Wars. Well, except for the new song and dance number in Episode VI but that is easily bypassed.

I even love the new 3 movies, The Phantom Menace, The Clone Wars, and Revenge of the Sith. Yes. Its true. Call me what you will, I think they are awesome! In fact here is how I would rank all of the movies in order from most favorite to least.

1) Revenge of the Sith
2) Return of the Jedi
3) Empire Strike Back
4) The Clone Wars
5) A New Hope
6) The Clone Wars

Now, let me explain myself.

First, Revenge of the Sith. This movie is AWESOME. There is no if, and, or but about it, this movie is the epitome of what I think Star Wars is. Therefore it is extremely successful in the enjoyment I get out of it. Even the crappy scene between Anakin and Padme that is horribly acted, I donít care, THAT is Star Wars. What I particularly like and what I think the genius of George Lucas is, is the subtleties of his dialog and the nuances in Hayden's performance. For the writing is summed up in the final scene between Obi Wan and Vader when Vader says, "From my point of view the Jedi are evil!" When you watch the films again, pay attention to the dialog, for all of the characters really do make their decisions based on their certain point of view, its great. And yes, there are nuances in Hayden's performance that I only noticed on multiple viewings. You can really see the struggle in his eyes in trying to decide the right thing to do, and there is reluctance in his voice when he is telling Padme on Mustafar about overthrowing the Emperor, almost as if the idea JUST came to him and he is trying to use it to sway Padme back to his side. Excellent stuff.

Second, Return of the Jedi. Now it could be my nostalgia for the only movie of the original trilogy that I saw in the theater as a kid but I donít think so. This movie also fits what I feel Star Wars is. Not to mention the best space battle out of the ENTIRE saga and at that time the best lightsaber battle out of the trilogy. Though Luke and Vader in Empire is close. Oh, and speeder bikes!!?? Hello! Are those not totally awesome! I used to want one sooooo bad as a kid, who am I kidding, I still want one really bad! And all the hate directed toward the Ewoks. Really? Come on. For real, were they really THAT detrimental to the movie? I didnít think so.

Third, Empire Strike Back. I donít think I even need to say anything about this movie. I think its safe to say everyone loves it. But here is why its in my third place spot. The thing that makes this movie for me is that you get a real feel for the way life is in the rebellion. That they are the ones really struggling to make a difference and you really pull together for them. You also see that the galaxy has that lived in sort of feel that George really wanted to convey. That everything isnít all new and shiny but rugged and frontiers like. Plus it is a really well constructed film. But I just donít enjoy watching it as much as I do Jedi or Sith.

Fourth, The Clone Wars. Aside from Annoyakin and boring Padme this movie is pretty awesome too. You have Jedi doing their thing, Jango Fett being a badas, and Count Dooku and his cool evil self. Plus you get to see Obi Wan being the awesomeness that he is. Because all you see of him in the OT is a non-athletic old man. This movie is all around fun!

Fifth, A New Hope. Iíve never liked this movie. The only reasons its not last is because Luke is only SLIGHTLY more tolerable than Jar Jar, nostalgia, and it did kind of cement me into being a SW fan in the first place. But thats it! I canít stand this movie. I think its boring, poorly acted throughout the entire movie instead of just in pockets like the newer movies. Although it could just be the crappy directing job of Geroge. And GOSH DANGIT I want to stab Mark Hamill in the face evey time he says his lines! He is really the worst part of this movie for me I think. Yeah, I like all the humor and the camaraderie between the actors thats good, but the rest sucks.

Sixth The Phantom Menace. I think every reason to hate this movie has already been said by everyone else. Its only saving graces, Palpatine, Obi Wan, and of course Darth Maul. How freaking badas is Darth Maul!!?? Of course he got punked by Obi Wan, who didnít see that coming? But still he was freaking tough looking as crap! And all badas looking after killing Qui Gon. This movie almost beats out A New Hope based strictly on Darth Mauls badas rep.!

So thats it. I should mention that I watch at least one of these movies a day. So I think I have now seen all of the New Triology movies at least 30 times by now. The OT is waaaaay more than that. I think I watch the entire trilogy at least 5 times a month.

Its also not confined to the movies. Anything Star Wars related I canít get enough. Especially the comics! Christ could they be any awesomer? Then there is the roleplaying game! Like I couldnít get enough detailed information about Star Wars and they have to make a roleplaying game? Yes please! The only thing Iím not really into are the novels and Star Wars Lego. I donít know why. You would think the novels wouldnít be that far removed from the comics but there is just, I donít know, too much investment in that or something. And Star Wars lego, I mean the video game. I love the actual legos but not the game. Its too corny for me I think. Not that I am all serious business about Star Wars just, I donít know, its already corny enough. Iím not that into the action figures either but thats a whole other story. I think being dedicated to the RPG is bad enough. I donít need to throw action figures into the mess.

So, what else. The new Clone Wars cartoon. Awesome! But a little blown out of proportion with all the stuff the Jedi can do. I am super excited for the live action TV show. Dang I canít wait for that! I will get cable just for that. (Or if they ever had an ALIEN tv show. I wonder if that idea has been pitched?)

Anyway, so yeah,

I love Star Wars

Webhead
04-29-2008, 01:44 PM
So, what else. The new Clone Wars cartoon. Awesome! But a little blown out of proportion with all the stuff the Jedi can do. I am super excited for the live action TV show. Dang I canít wait for that! I will get cable just for that.

Sure. I think that was part of what made it so much fun. They embraced the opportunity to heavily stylize and just cut loose. I think I was more impressed and satisfied with Clone Wars than I was with the prequels, though it seems that this is not an uncommon opinion considering how generally excellent Clone Wars was.

I will definately watch the *new* CG Clone Wars series. It has potential, but only time will tell if they can pull something worthwhile together. I don't like the idea of giving Anakin a padawan, however (unless of course it were to turn out that the padawan was the Council's way of "keeping tabs" on Anakin). Much like you wouldn't let an alcoholic run a day-care, you don't give a reckless and unpredictable Jedi a student...you just don't. I have trouble seeing the Council condoning this notion, much less suggesting it. But I know very little of this show yet, so I will try not to judge it without giving it a shot.

Rabiki
04-29-2008, 01:56 PM
I would have a hard time choosing between the Star Wars movies. One of my favorite scenes...is where the Rebels are fighting the Empire on Hoth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoth).

Inquisitor Tremayne
04-29-2008, 02:53 PM
I will definately watch the *new* CG Clone Wars series. It has potential, but only time will tell if they can pull something worthwhile together. I don't like the idea of giving Anakin a padawan, however (unless of course it were to turn out that the padawan was the Council's way of "keeping tabs" on Anakin). Much like you wouldn't let an alcoholic run a day-care, you don't give a reckless and unpredictable Jedi a student...you just don't. I have trouble seeing the Council condoning this notion, much less suggesting it. But I know very little of this show yet, so I will try not to judge it without giving it a shot.

I concur! Anakin with a padawan is crazy non-sense! My guess is that it is something Chancellor Palpatine suggests the council do or forces the council to do. In Sidious's mind Anakin will form an unhealthy attachment like he does with everyone and everything and when his padawan is killed (since she isn't in EP III she must get killed) he probably somehow will blame the Jedi. Just my guess though!;)

Rabiki
05-05-2008, 09:40 AM
I've seen most of what sci-fi movies are out there, so I'm always lurking about the video store, waiting for something new.

I know this is a movie thread, but did want to mention that with the lack of new movies, I started reading sci-fi.

A few of my favorites: Ender's game, Thrawn Triology, Outbound Flight, Halo series, Polaris...

Grinnen Baeritt
05-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Humm. Some older ones..not to be forgotten as well, in no real particular order...

Darkstar
Silent Running
Bladerunner
Dune

Aliens, Predator, Pitch Black, Serenity..

Star Wars (no particular dislike of Episode I, though Return of the Jedi is my favorite..)

Star Trek (Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home and Undiscovered Country)

Dimthar
05-11-2008, 03:37 PM
I concur! Anakin with a padawan is crazy non-sense! My guess is that it is something Chancellor Palpatine suggests the council do or forces the council to do. In Sidious's mind Anakin will form an unhealthy attachment like he does with everyone and everything and when his padawan is killed (since she isn't in EP III she must get killed) he probably somehow will blame the Jedi. Just my guess though!;)

Not being an expert myself, but I disagree. I believe taking a Padawan Learner is part of the process of growing as a Jedi Knight. In Episode 1 they say there are always 2: A Master and an Apprentice. I would say they may even encourage their Knights to take students under their care.

For those with more knowledge in SW. It seems to me by the movies that one can be a "Padawan at the Temple" (Formal School) and a "Padawan with an specific Jedi Knight" (Home Schooled?), am I correct? or I got everything wrong?

-------

Well wikipedia seems to have the answers.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi

Webhead
05-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Not being an expert myself, but I disagree. I believe taking a Padawan Learner is part of the process of growing as a Jedi Knight. In Episode 1 they say there are always 2: A Master and an Apprentice. I would say they may even encourage their Knights to take students under their care.

Jedi Knights are encouraged to take on the role of teacher and accept a padawan if they feel they are ready for the burden. The accepting of a padawan is a most serious matter as the master is responsible in all ways for the shaping of the apprentice. Thus if the master is ill-prepared or not at peace with themself when they attempt to teach their student, it is the student's progress and potential that suffers. Some knights never accept a padawan, feeling that they are not fit (or not interested) to teach.

In Anakin's case, he is arrogant, unpredictable, defiant and overly emotional. Even if Anakin felt himself ready to take a student, I can't see the Council or (especially) Obi-Wan approving of the idea. Not to mention that he was only very recently knighted and reluctantly so, out of a sense of desperation about the war. In the same way I won't let my son drive a car until I am comfortable that he can take the responsibility seriously, I don't see much chance of Anakin being seen as trustworthy enough to manage a student.

For those with more knowledge in SW. It seems to me by the movies that one can be a "Padawan at the Temple" (Formal School) and a "Padawan with an specific Jedi Knight" (Home Schooled?), am I correct? or I got everything wrong?

The Jedi students at the temple are often simply refered to as the "younglings". If a Jedi selects one of them as a student, they then gain the title of "padawan". Some Jedi younglings are never selected to become padawans and such students, upon reaching a certain age, are sent to join the Jedi Service Corps, and become special scouts, healers, diplomats, and perform other various roles with their gifts throughout the galaxy.

Inquisitor Tremayne
05-12-2008, 10:11 AM

From 1000 BBY to the destruction of the Jedi, the Jedi would discover infants strong in the Force and take them to the temple on Coruscant (possibly other temples) and as rumor has it, be trained by Master Yoda. Until they were old enough (10ish) and deemed adept enough to be accepted as a padawan. From my understanding, only the council had the authority to deem a Jedi Knight ready to accept a padawan and at that time the Jedi Knight would become a master or shortly thereafter.

Now, depending on when the new movie and new TV series is set, I believe Anakin was still a padawan up to about a year or so before the end of the Clone Wars or possibly after a year into the war.

I would HOPE that that is what transpires, Anakin is given the rank of Knight and a padawan to boot. Given that it seems he is on solo missions in the movie I think it is safe to say that he is a Knight by this time.

I was concerned that he was still a padawan and they were giving him a padawan of his own.

But the argument still stands. Nowhere along the line has he proven worthy enough to take on a padawan. However, he was made a Knight at Obi Wan's request, so it is quite possible that he could get a padawan.

Dimthar
05-12-2008, 12:47 PM
From my understanding, only the council had the authority to deem a Jedi Knight ready to accept a padawan and at that time the Jedi Knight would become a master or shortly thereafter.

From Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn comments on Episode 1, it seems that they have the right to take anyone as their Padawan regardless of the Council approval.

I assume the Jedi Knight will at least be refered as Master by their own Padawan, other Knight's Padawan or a Youngling.

Also in Episode II it seems that a rule of Etiquette, Non-Jedi will refer to a Jedi Knight as "Master" (In Episode II, Amidala corrects someone by clarifying that Anakin is still a Padawan Learner).

Webhead
05-12-2008, 01:41 PM
From Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn comments on Episode 1, it seems that they have the right to take anyone as their Padawan regardless of the Council approval.

Correct. It would seem that a Jedi Knight is given final judgement on whether or not to accept a young Jedi as his padawan. The Council's blessing, while not strictly binding, nonetheless carries significant weight in the decision. Very few Jedi wish to openly defy the Council as they are considered to be the wisest and most attunded to the Will of the Force.

I assume the Jedi Knight will at least be refered as Master by their own Padawan, other Knight's Padawan or a Youngling.

Also in Episode II it seems that a rule of Etiquette, Non-Jedi will refer to a Jedi Knight as "Master" (In Episode II, Amidala corrects someone by clarifying that Anakin is still a Padawan Learner).

Correct. A Jedi does not have to carry the "rank" of Jedi Master to be referred to as Master by his/her student or other Jedi of lesser rank. And I noticed the "Jedi Etiquette" as well. It seems the common term of reference for a Jedi Knight or Jedi Master is "Master Jedi" to non-Jedi.

Inquisitor Tremayne
05-12-2008, 09:46 PM

I wouldn't say it is their RIGHT to do so, but they can and it is seen as an act of defiance AGAINST the council's wishes, presuming the council denied the action in the first place as they did with Qui Gon. And the same for Obi Wan.

Correct.

I think that is a safe assumption.

Timothy Floyd
05-13-2008, 07:42 PM
My favorite movies are the "babylon 5" ones. They have every everything. They have great story lines. I love the characters also. My 2 favorite characters are G'kar of Narn and Londo of the Centuari Prime.

Webhead
05-13-2008, 09:48 PM
My favorite movies are the "babylon 5" ones. They have every everything. They have great story lines. I love the characters also. My 2 favorite characters are G'kar of Narn and Londo of the Centuari Prime.

I think G'kar and Londo were my favorite characters from the show as well. They are the characters changed the most by the events of the series and end up in almost completely reversed roles by the end of season 5. Bab5 was a great show, but you really had to watch them all consecutively in order to fully understand and appreciate it.

TheOrangeGuy
08-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Blade Runner

Finally someone with some sense...

Vicor
08-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Its very hard to pick one...
Aliens, Blade Runner, Terminator, Donny Darko and I know some will be thinking "what the..." but I also liked The Last Mimzi. :-)

nijineko
08-13-2008, 08:59 PM
the forbidden planet! the day the earth stood still! war of the worlds! (the black and white ones...)

planet of the apes! you'll never forget the first time you saw the statue.

and for the humor value: zenra. ^^