PDA

View Full Version : ConDFW

gdmcbride
02-13-2008, 03:57 AM
ConDFW VII -- a literary science fiction/fantasy convention with an all weekend gaming tract is February 22-24 in Richardson, Texas just north of Dallas.

Go to www.condfw.org for more details.

If money is an issue, it is also possible to volunteer and thus get a free badge. Contact me privately or contact through the web site.

Gary
Programming Director

Mulsiphix
02-13-2008, 12:54 PM
What hours with the convention run? I looked on the site but couldn't track any down?

gdmcbride
02-13-2008, 05:04 PM
What hours with the convention run? I looked on the site but couldn't track any down?

Programming runs from 2 pm till 6:00 pm Friday
10 am till 7:00 pm Saturday
10 am till 4:00 pm Sunday

Gaming and stuff will likely run all night. Room parties will run till unspeakable hours of the morning.

I'm not sure of dealer's room hours off the top of my head but they will be similar to programming.

Gary

Mulsiphix
02-13-2008, 06:05 PM
"Room Parties"? Are there seriously after parties for Con's?

gdmcbride
02-13-2008, 06:32 PM

There seriously are.

Gary

tesral
02-13-2008, 08:58 PM

Seriously seriously. Some cons don't have an "after". Penguicon ruins programing 24 hours a day for example (I'm an old Con goer.) ConFusion is famous for the room parties.

Mulsiphix
02-13-2008, 09:23 PM
What happens at Con after/room parties? Unadulterated pen and paper gaming fun or? Please do indulge me :)

nijineko
02-14-2008, 12:29 AM
go find one of the many 'you know you're a gamer if' lists out there, and you'll get an idea.

tesral
02-14-2008, 11:12 AM
What happens at Con after/room parties? Unadulterated pen and paper gaming fun or? Please do indulge me :)

Depends on the Con and it's focus. All I can say is get out to a Con and see.

Mulsiphix
02-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Oh common share some stories people. Even if you only heard them. I want to hear them! If they're not appropriate, PLEASE PM ME! Honestly interested. I had no idea such nerds knew how to "party". Really interested in what other nerds do behind closed doors. I know what I do but I have a wife ;)

tesral
02-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Oh common share some stories people. Even if you only heard them. I want to hear them! If they're not appropriate, PLEASE PM ME! Honestly interested. I had no idea such nerds knew how to "party". Really interested in what other nerds do behind closed doors. I know what I do but I have a wife ;)

Well I can't really generalize. Some room parties are quiet, some are not, some are, well not public. I don't have much in terms of stories. For me the room parties are a chance to see friends I seldom get to see except for the Cons.

Let see, I helped with Cafe Pengicon at Confusion in January. I didn't do the whole Con I just dropped in to help out. We had food, LN2 ice cream, and general mayhem with the LN2. Not something you get to play with every day.

Many room parties are run by either fan groups or by other cons looking to promote their convention. The GT suite will often have video games going. Conclave always has a low key party with decent food. ConFusion has had everything from low key to the year Denise brought his slot car set.

Some room parties are non stop video rooms. One was a hafla that ended up spilling into the atrium and involving 50 to 60 people with instruments and drums.

rabkala
02-16-2008, 01:44 PM
There was this one time at a con in Milwaukee, I encountered some "one on one LARPing" with a local "Drow Princess". ;)

Drohem
02-16-2008, 04:12 PM
You lucky devil, you.

*wink, wink, nudge, nudge, eh, eh*

gdmcbride
02-17-2008, 02:27 AM
Con party stories? Too many to tell. Here are a couple of favorites.

Once after a long day of conventioneering goodness where I had been sipping my favorite scotch through out (a delightful 16 year old Islay beauty), I met up with some fellow staff members at the hotel bar. We drank. All cheerfully plastered, we received word of a rollicking good room party some floors up and decided to board it.

Not visit it. Not 'check it out'. Board it. Pillage it.

We did exactly that and then moved on to our next victim. By the night's end we were all made up with plundered booty and decorations stolen from a dozen parties. Our ranks had swollen. We were receiving invitations from other parties to please board them. The head of con security, a good friend and master of the boarding party, wore a hotel comforter like a tattered cloak. Good times.

Oh, and last year at Akon, I did a shot of 30 year scotch out of the navel of a young lady roughly nine years its junior. That was fun too.

Gary