PDA

View Full Version : Hat of Comfort

tesral
02-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Hat of Comfort: This woderous item appears as a rather plain broad brimed hat of sturdy felt. When worn it makes the wearer comfortable in any sort of natural weather. One remains cool in the heat and warm in the cold. The wearer feels as if they are in balmy weather of moderate humdity. Damage is not taken from excessive heat or cold caused by the weather.

The hat will not prevent damage from fire or cold sources that are not the weather. Spells will have their normal effect.

The hat of comfort is worth 10,000gp.

Riftwalker
02-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Does it work on alternate planes? Such as the Elemental Plane of Fire? :)

tesral
02-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Does it work on alternate planes? Such as the Elemental Plane of Fire? :)

I would have to say no. It's a wondrous item, not a minor artifact. Now if you could find a hat of comfort that was made on the Plane of Fire, that would be a different matter. I would rule such an item would also protect from magical fire, but be useless against even normal cold.

Riftwalker
02-12-2008, 08:41 PM
What about weather spells like Ice Storm? :D

tesral
02-12-2008, 08:46 PM
What about weather spells like Ice Storm? :D

That's not a weather spell that's an attack sepll. Control weather it would protect your from the cold or heat, but not ice storm.

gdmcbride
02-13-2008, 01:19 AM
10000 gp seems a bit much for an item with little combat use.

Remember the hero in question could buy this or two magic items that adds +2 to their Strength and Dexterity along side 6 potions of cure moderate wounds. And still have 200 gp left over.

Edit: I knew there was a magic item that did something similar. Check out 'Boots of the Winterlands' at the SRD:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsoftheWinterlands

Gary

Farcaster
02-13-2008, 11:49 AM
There is also the Travel Cloak, which does the same thing, but is priced at a more modest 1100gp. It also produces crumpets and tea for your dining pleasure three times a day, as I recall.

upidstay
02-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Good item. 10k is an awful lot for it though. A Ring of Warmth is under 3k and gives fire resistance of 5.

tesral
02-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Good item. 10k is an awful lot for it though. A Ring of Warmth is under 3k and gives fire resistance of 5.

So what price would you suggest? That is in line with magic on my world, which is pricy.

gdmcbride
02-13-2008, 05:06 PM
So what price would you suggest? That is in line with magic on my world, which is pricy.

I would say 750-1000 gp would be more in line with "standard" D&D. Of course your world is your world -- if +1 swords are priceless beyond measure and never sold, then 10000 gp for the hat might be more correct.

Gary

tesral
02-13-2008, 09:01 PM
I would say 750-1000 gp would be more in line with "standard" D&D. Of course your world is your world -- if +1 swords are priceless beyond measure and never sold, then 10000 gp for the hat might be more correct.

Gary

Then change it to fit.

What i don't understand is pricing by "usefulness in combat". I would think usefulness would be the key. Sure an adventurer needs a good sword, but weather can kill you too.

nijineko
02-14-2008, 12:51 AM
silly as it sounds, "standard" weather in d&d can't kill you. what you have is an item that protects you from "normal extremes" of weather, but not from actual damaging effects. however, there is the fortitude save to consider for exposure to even "normal extremes" of weather. the side effects of failing the saves, on the other hand, can eventually kill you. anyway.

if it will protect you from damage of, say, extreme artic cold or hot steam vents, then it should be described as protecting you from environmental damage, which then would affect the plane of fire, and would cost more.

basically you are creating an item that uses the spell "endure elements". that's a first level spell, with a caster level of one. using the dmg tables that will get you caster level x spell level x 2000gp for continous use. so, 1x1x2000gp = 2000gp. even if you double it so that it won't be taking up a body slot, that's only 4000gp. what's the markup in your campaign for rarity of magic?

now if you used resist energy instead, a second level spell, and assuming that this was crafted by a wizard instead of a sorcerer, that's a caster level of 3. so we would get 2x3x2000gp. which is 12,000gp. but! this item would grant energy resistance 10, which would cover environmental damage as well. you could justify it dropping to 10,000gp if it only protected against one type of energy, rather than getting to choose when you use it.

of course, there is still the rarity markup in your campaign to consider. ^^ hope this helps.

upidstay
02-14-2008, 05:48 AM
I'd have to go along with Senor Mcbride. 750, maybe 1000 for a by the book campaign. If magic is rare and priceless, then lots. Also, price might depend on the climate. In the desert, or in a cold environment, it would be worth alot more.

I ran a campaign where magic was much like our technology is today. Even peasants had a magic heating stone, blankets that kept you warm, etc. Magic weapons were less common, but there were magical farm implements that were very sharp, or animated.

AmazingTriangle
02-22-2008, 08:24 PM
I would look at the Cloak of Comfort in the Magic Item Compendium. (Endure Elements is the base spell.) It also has a bonus on saves and it is 3k for Endure Elements and +1 to saves.