PDA

View Full Version : D&D Design & Development: Halflings

PnP News Bot
02-11-2008, 05:01 PM
http://www.wizards.com/books/images/dnd_logo_small.jpg

Check out this new article Wizards of the Coast posted recently:

Design & Development: Halflings (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drdd/20080208a)

Rivers and streams crisscross the world, and upon these waterways, the nomadic halflings quietly do the same. Learn more about the 4th Edition version of this race, whose talents (and charms) run toward sneakiness and craftiness.

rabkala
02-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Bigger halflings? Maybe they should be three-quarterlings now?

Farcaster
02-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Pre-teen human sized, huh? So, that's what? 4-5 foot? That doesn't feel right.

fmitchell
02-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Not that "halflings" are Hobbits anymore, by legal decree, but I'd expect them to be about the same size as real "little people" (aka dwarfs or midgets) from our world: a yard or meter tall, give or take, with proportionally stocky builds.

Four feet sounds like a stretch (ha!), and five feet practically makes them elves.

Mulsiphix
02-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Halfings should be between 3 and 4 feet tall. Anything bigger than this gets dangerously close to humans and elves. What was wrong with their old size?

Farcaster
02-12-2008, 04:50 PM
What was wrong with their old size?
Not sure. Maybe DA can shed some light on it since he read the 4e Races and Classes propaganda... err preview book.

fmitchell
02-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Halfings should be between 3 and 4 feet tall. Anything bigger than this gets dangerously close to humans and elves. What was wrong with their old size?

I guess the improbability of anything the size and weight of a toddler actually being able to damage big folks.

Or else, Halflings are the new Gnomes.

Farcaster
02-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Hey now! My 2.5 year old has executed the occasional sneak attack or baby-coup-de-gras head butt, and it was plenty painful. And, he's only 26 pounds! I think that a four year old with the reflexes, coordination and musculature of an adult wielding a short sword could do plenty of damage to 'big folk'.

Mulsiphix
02-12-2008, 08:23 PM
I have to agree with Farcaster on this one. My toddlers are some of the most destructive little kids I've ever seen. They break and destroy any toy, book, food item, or "stuffed" animal/pillow I give them. Both play very aggressively with each other. Put the life experience, determination, mindset, and hormone cocktail of an adult in a child's body, and you've got some serious problems. If they were an opponent that is.

rabkala
02-12-2008, 08:36 PM
The nearly fearless comment also worries me... Fear the Kenderization!

tesral
02-12-2008, 08:38 PM

Editor's disease I would suspect. R. A. Heinlein had a particularly poor view of the editing class. In Stranger in a Strange Land Jubal Hardshaw declares "Editors always think it tastes better after they piss in it." I suspect that is the case here. Change for the sake of saying they changed something. Halflings have been 3-4 feet tall for 35 years. I don't see why it needs changing now.

InfoStorm
02-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Remember: Just because Wizards of the Coast may be legally prevented from having Tolkein-like hobbits in their publications, doesn't mean you you can't have them in your game.

I have them in mine, "Uses 100% halfling statistics, but they like staying put in their shires."

Mulsiphix
02-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Wish I lived in the Shire :(. I could do without the huge hairy feet but the Shire would be bliss.

tesral
02-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Remember: Just because Wizards of the Coast may be legally prevented from having Tolkein-like hobbits in their publications, doesn't mean you you can't have them in your game.

I have them in mine, "Uses 100% halfling statistics, but they like staying put in their shires."

That's right. The way I do them as well. They have particual area where they are found and they are found viturally no where else. Nice stay and home types.

Wish I lived in the Shire :(. I could do without the huge hairy feet but the Shire would be bliss.

Yea the feet thing. It would save on shoes. I'm a person comfortable in my habits.

rabkala
02-16-2008, 01:06 AM
Hairy feet is kind of sexy. :p

Mulsiphix
02-18-2008, 05:08 AM
Hairy feet is kind of sexy. :pHave you seen those feet? Are you a hairy pits lover too :p

rabkala
02-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Have you seen those feet? Are you a hairy pits lover too :p
Well, us old hippies like natural.

Mulsiphix
02-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Well, us old hippies like natural.Like French women natural or Ron Jeremy natural :D

tesral
02-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Well, us old hippies like natural.

I prefer the elven look.

8cidx
02-19-2008, 02:53 PM
It sucks because I'm nearily 6 feet tall AND have huge hairy hobbit feet! My wife says I look like the Incredible Hulk... or Fred Flintstone...

Making Halflings taller is a stupid move. It makes almost every advantage of playing a halfling (other than flavor) pretty much useless. I know if I change up thier sizes in any of my games I wprobably wouldn't have a D&D group for very long.

Maelstrom
02-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Wow, WoTC really touched a nerve here :)

fmitchell
02-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Making Halflings taller is a stupid move. It makes almost every advantage of playing a halfling (other than flavor) pretty much useless.

Actually, the article stated they'd still be considered "Small". Just a taller sort of Small.

Digital Arcanist
02-19-2008, 08:29 PM
The hallmark of the halfling has never been there height, or lack thereof, but rather their cherubic features well into old age.

For me, I think a halfling should be somewhere between 4-4.5 feet tall and constantly mistaken for children. There adventuring gear and mannerisms should be the only sign that they are indeed older than that.

rabkala
02-19-2008, 09:29 PM
I don't understand why they changed them. I really do fear them making them more Kender like. In my mind, they will always be Hobits.

tesral
02-19-2008, 09:32 PM
The hallmark of the halfling has never been there height, or lack thereof, but rather their cherubic features well into old age.

For me, I think a halfling should be somewhere between 4-4.5 feet tall and constantly mistaken for children. There adventuring gear and mannerisms should be the only sign that they are indeed older than that.

I know adult humans 5 foot tall. Making them taller removes the primary difference, being child sized.

It's just another reason to ignore the "offical" stuff.

8cidx
02-20-2008, 08:31 AM
Okay so rules wise it's the same? Oh that makes everything better.... NOT. lol. Sorry but in my mind the hight thing would make them easier to hit regardless of their facial features or how skinny they are. Much easier to lob the heads off of something 5 ft tall than 4 feet tall because it's at about shoulder height. So if they bend the rules to make the advantage stick, I'm happy the rules are there, but they don't support the "reality" of the game. To me that means WOtC lacks the convictions of thier cause.