PDA

View Full Version : Darkage Warlord - General Discussion

Mulsiphix
02-11-2008, 02:59 PM
This thread will be used to discuss any random questions about the system or its development.

Mulsiphix
02-11-2008, 03:01 PM
How do you want to handle the map Maelstrom? I think this will prove to be key. What do you think of hosting the map on another website? One where players could move their units? Keeping this completely confined to posts would have to use screenshots wouldn't it? Either way the person is going out of their way to control their units on the map. Which do you think would be easier?

Maelstrom
02-11-2008, 04:01 PM
That is a distinct possibility. I was thinking that we'd keep the map as a reference and just post the new locations of units in grid coordinates, but updating the map would be much more visually pleasing.

Any ideas of how to do that? MapTool as you suggested for DDM2?

Mulsiphix
02-11-2008, 04:32 PM
MapTool would be extremely easy. I've worked with it extensively and have some map generating programs that would work nicely with it. We could definitely use coordinates for troop movement but I personally would find it quite difficult to imagine the battlefield when there are a lot of troops on the playing field. Given this system is for large scale combat I think some form of visual representation would be most useful.

If we had a website we could use flash or php or asp or something along those lines to create a board. Players could login, complete their turn, and if any info was needed for the PBP it could be output to a box that they could copy and paste. Either way there are different ways to go about this. If we go the software route I think MapTool would be best. If we go the cross platform/no software route, I think a web interface would prove most beneficial.

Here is a very basic example of what we could do in maptool. I'll be using fantasy tokens as that is what I have available but I could mass produce quality medieval tokens if we went the MapTool route.

http://aycu18.webshots.com/image/42457/2004530104716642261_rs.jpg

Maelstrom
02-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Looks pretty good! Hopefully we can scale it down a bit to keep the size down and see more hexes (we'll need something somewhere around 20 hexes wide).

Mulsiphix
02-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Just give me the specs for the map and I'll see what I can do. The hard part is going to be giving the hexes coordinates that can be seen when the map is scaled down. This map is already heavily scaled down as the program used creates printer friendly BattleTech maps which are quite large. I'm sure we can work something out.

I still can't believe you don't like tables. Tables are your friend :(

Maelstrom
02-11-2008, 08:39 PM
22 wide by 14 tall ought to do it for now. We can probably scale it in paint to about half or 1/3 the size.

Tables? What do you mean by tables?

Mulsiphix
02-11-2008, 08:40 PM
For unit damage and general game stats. I'm just used to the overwhelming use of tables in BattleTech. Last I heard you were trying to get rid of the tables and replace them with equations.

Mulsiphix
02-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Nevermind. The map size cannot be changed in this program. This sucks. Going to have to find a new map making program for this. Grawr! Anybody have any suggestions for one?

Maelstrom
02-11-2008, 09:07 PM
For unit damage and general game stats. I'm just used to the overwhelming use of tables in BattleTech. Last I heard you were trying to get rid of the tables and replace them with equations.

Ahh, yeah, that. Well, tables have their purpose, and I don't think I'll be able to avoid them entirely. Just don't want to bog play with lookups.

Mulsiphix
02-11-2008, 09:13 PM
If we can fit one or two in them, hell I can find some optional rule for some of them, that would be great. Then again once I start playing with equations they'll probably just be a hindrance :p

Maelstrom
02-11-2008, 10:19 PM
You want to put in tables for the sake of having tables? That's sick! ;)

Mulsiphix
02-11-2008, 10:20 PM
You want to put in tables for the sake of having tables? That's sick! ;)I'm a troubled man :confused:

Riftwalker
02-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Nevermind. The map size cannot be changed in this program. This sucks. Going to have to find a new map making program for this. Grawr! Anybody have any suggestions for one?

Can you scale the image after it has been exported?

Mulsiphix
02-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Yes I can. The main problem I had was I couldn't add or subtract hexes from the map making program. It is a one size map. It is a utility used for making custom BattleTech Maps. But with some copy and pasting I could easily make a map as big or small as I liked. It exports the map at a very large resolution so resizing is always a given anyway. I don't think the need for unique maps will be all that high in the beginning and it wouldn't take long to make them. I think this program will actually work out just fine. I've sent it to Maelstrom to play around with as well.

Mulsiphix
02-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Vassal might actually be perfect for this game. What do you think Maelstrom?

Maelstrom
02-16-2008, 03:41 AM
I've been thinking that too. And with Vassal, once the rules are more solidified, we can actually code them into the system and get the ability to play online. The units are also quite customizable, so we can hold a lot of the info on the pieces.

Mulsiphix
02-18-2008, 05:18 AM
Agreed. Not sure what Vassal uses for code though. Won't be too helpful if it will require learning a new language. I'll have to look into that.

Maelstrom
02-18-2008, 09:18 AM
I've looked into it a little. Seems like they have it pretty flexible as is to put a system into it. You can specify menu commands, input map selections, units available and how they look/act, etc. All of that is pretty easy. To code an entire game system with rules and legal move checks, etc, might make it more intense.

Using it as just a table top where both players understand the rules looks like it should be easy to do.

Mulsiphix
02-18-2008, 05:11 PM
I checked and it is programmed in JAVA. There are some nice user tutorials (http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/doku.php?id=user_tutorials:user_tutorials) that should cover everything needed to create a miniatures wargame (if you ever wanted to go that route). I wish I knew JAVA. This isn't the first project that would have heavily benefited from me knowing that language :o.

Maelstrom
02-18-2008, 07:37 PM
The Java is only if you want to contribute to the Vassal open source engine. If you want to just create a game using the in-game tools you choose Edit Module or New Module from the menu, which gives you most of the options you need that I listed above.

Mulsiphix
02-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Delicious indeed. I can't believe I hadn't heard of Vassal until just last month. This program is seriously amazing. Soooo many good things could be done with it :)