PDA

View Full Version : Your favorited WOD

MortonStromgal
02-10-2008, 02:25 AM
I was just wondering what is your favorite flavor(s) of World of Darkness and why.

Mine is still Vampire the Dark Ages (not to be confused with Dark Ages Vampire). Being big bad vampires is a superstitious world is fun and I can totally see a vampire setting up his own feifdom. The rules were a little wonkly but I played 1st & 2nd edition Shadowrun a lot and the 2nd edition rules for Vampire were closer to Shadowrun than the later Revised edition Vampire, which never really worked for me.

I also really enjoyed New World of Darkness as mortals and find the rules are a great fit for my style but the flavor of Vampire the Dark Ages just wins despite more suck in the rules (no pun intended, okay maybe a little pun)

rabkala
02-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Those that I have looked into and would most like to try are Changeling: the Dreaming and Dark ages: Inquisitor. Those flavors appeal to me most.

The nWoD rules do seem an improvement over the old. Although my only experience was with the old rules.

TAROT
02-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Well, Changeling: the Lost is still new and shiny. :)

In general, I prefer the people against the monsters stuff, so, Hunter, Inquisitor and World of Darkness.

I like the themes of Demon: the Fallen also.

Azaethel
03-15-2008, 02:36 PM
I'd have to say V:tM, Sabbat setting preferably...not sure why...Mage (Ascension not Awakening) from the Technocratic point of view appealed to me too, very Cyberpunk without needing to be futuristic...

Webhead
03-24-2008, 12:33 AM
My favorite of the WoD games by past experience would hands-down have to be Mage: The Ascension. The many years ago when my group was playing this, we really focused on the "mages vs. technocracy" angle and we were basically sort of freedom fighters, bringing enlightenment to the sleepers and freeing them from the vile manipulations of the technocratic scum. Don't know if I'll ever be in another Mage game that cool again. Most other folks I've seen play Mage since tend to play it with a different (to me, less appealing and usually more angsty) style.

My second favorite of the WoD I've played would probably have to be Vampire: The Masquerade (Revised 2nd ed.) mostly only due to a rather short-lived campaign that I ran in which all the players walked away from the game telling me how awesome the story was.

I've got most of the core books for nWoD and I really like the potential for a full-blown mortals-only campaign but I've not run it yet. I like most of the changes to the nWoD system, but there are a few I don't like (though thankfully they are easy to house rule back into something more my taste).

I always wanted to try a Changeling: The Dreaming game, but I never did. I like the concept as I understood it, be I never knew anyone who was running it. Mostly, if they were running WoD it was either Vampire or Werewolf.

Frobozz
03-24-2008, 11:59 PM
Hand's down, Mage: The Ascension. It's unique magic system caught me and drew me in. Nothing else came close.

I also ran a Mages vs. Technocracy style campaign which later turned into a Mages vs. "Things from Beyond the Horizon" campaign. A key player, a Son of Ether, concentrated most of his time making a Voidship so we eventually put it to use as I shifted things more and more toward the Spirit (i.e. Dimensional Sciences) end of things.

One player who played in a very power-munchkin style Wearwolf game wanted to play a Wearwolf in my Mage campaign... I warned him multiple times since in my view of the whole WoD, Mages were significantly more powerful than any of the other creatures by many orders of magnitude... I mean, who can argue with someone who bends reality to their will?! Everything else is just "hedge magic". I think his Wearwolf lasted about two games before a rather powerful Technocrat shot him with a railgun and then proceeded to "pull the mask" off his fuzzy body. Arete combined with the power of paradox won out and it really was a man in a suit under the mask and he promptly died. He rolled a Virtual Adept afterwards and had a lot more fun. :)

Webhead
03-25-2008, 11:29 AM
I miss Mage: The Ascension. As you said, we were basically playing "reality benders" who were out to protect humanity from the terrible things that they would never even know about. We were almost "superhero-y" in our M.O. and I really miss that.

That's it...when my current campaign draws to a close, my next one is going to either be Mage or Dresden Files.

death666life
08-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Vampire The Masquerade just cuz it was what I started with, its what pulled me into the Pen & Paper RPG setting. Oh and you have to love the Assamites.

Webhead
08-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Vampire The Masquerade just cuz it was what I started with, its what pulled me into the Pen & Paper RPG setting. Oh and you have to love the Assamites.

Unless they're throwing a hissy-fit for feeling disrespected by another party member and immediately tries to kill them. That's when you get all "deep-umbral, flame-spewing, vengeance spirit-duck" on their butts. Yeah, that's right, my duck just kicked your little Vampire attitude into next week...what are you gonna do about it?

Sorry...flashbacks...but at least they were good ones. ;)

death666life
08-14-2008, 01:35 PM
That is true but when ever I did play a Assamite I always did the whole loner deal just comming in to save the parties ass when needed or doing a one man job.

Webhead
08-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Anas platyrhynchos or: "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bygone Bestiary"

:D

Bearfoot_Adam
08-14-2008, 09:34 PM
For me it was CtD all the way. I thought it's setting was the best and it could be either light and fluffy or really dark and scary. I always felt it got a bad rap becaue they weren't as powerful as the others. Or you cou'ldn't be as broody or what have you. I never thought I would find a more fun game. Then came out CtL. Like all the NWOD it dumped the politics and focused on the myth. No longer would I have to convince people that yeah the fae are scary.

mark42
09-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Werewolf the Apocalypse. I'm definitely a garou by nature - to the point of wearing red flannel to a goth club once. LOL - being 6' and the better half of 250# at the time, that was like a big old german shepherd walking into a housecat convention, but I'm digressing.

My favorite garou was a lupus fianna galliard who often snuck in and slept in the wolf pen at the zoo. She eventually led the pack on an escape out of captivity.

Another happy memory was a scene where I was a homid bonegnawer theurge who had some flaw where he looked like a big mangy dog in lupus form. He'd wander around the poor section of the city in lupus form getting ear scritches from the homeless kids and learning all sorts of interesting stuff. Anyhow, a couple sessions after a black fury ahroun gave him a cell phone to use she asked for it back. She never properly told my gnawer that the phone was equipment to be used only for a certain mission - so of course it must be a gift!

Things almost got ugly, and I think maybe a challenge may have been issued, but no fighting happened - we were in a city park cairn that had been abandoned for some time - we were the one pack carving out a little territory from the leeches. If a fight had occurred, my gnawer probably would've died but the fury would have faced severe consequences - she finally huffed away, "This isn't worth it!" leaving my gnawer with a victorious grin on his face.

MuslixtheMighty
09-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Even though I have wished to have played and experienced more games, I have only really done Vampire, Werewolf (As Naga), and Freak Legion for WoD games. My GM had probably every single second edition WoD book and when you would go into his library and see them all, your head would start thinking "What is that game like?" or "Ooooh, that sounds cool". He said he always wanted to run a Mage campaign but only with players that were very knowledgeable into the game and the powers.

My vote is going to go with V:tM, mostly because our group had a 2 year, once, sometimes twice, a week, campaign. Then it all fell to shit when people's in game emotions came out and other real emotions went it.

GoddessGood
10-16-2008, 10:25 AM
I ran Vampire more (because that's what my players wanted to play), but Demon: the Fallen really grabbed me. I instantly saw story upon story and fell in love with the great conflict of heaven vs. hell that, prior to that, I'd only seen in the Constantine type movies.

Yes, I was an unfortunate child. No comic books, no horror movies, not even any plastic water pistols allowed in my house [/sulk]

MuslixtheMighty
10-16-2008, 11:59 AM
No water pistols? Talk about harsh.

placebosonly
10-17-2008, 05:15 PM
my favorites are definately freak legion, werewolf the apocalypse, werewolf the forsaken, and mage the awakening
favorite character has to be the metis shadow lord ahroun i had for a lansing campaign the first night i had him he destroyed a 120 exp homid shadow lord ahroun in two turns who was actually a higher rank than him and decided to try and steal my fang dagger to kill a fomor he needed to kill, any way im off topic a bit but the point is dont play oWoD with me unless im running i minmax too much lol

Mirina
11-05-2008, 05:13 PM
My favorite WOD game is Vampire: The Dark Ages (yeah, I know, BIG surprise to those who know me in RL). It's what introduced me to White Wolf and the storyteller-type game. Over the years I got to play several of the clans, and I enjoyed each one immensely. Though my favorite character is still my bumbling Tremere, Natalya. I have good memories from that campaign.

Other favorites: nWOD mortals, because it's fun to play a human finding out the world is not what it seems; Changeling: The Lost, because I like the dark and twisted characters and setting; and Requiem for Rome (nWOD Vampire), because I like the setting of ancient Rome.

placebosonly
11-06-2008, 01:03 PM
i agree with mirina on requiem for rome good setting

Soulskinner
02-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Hey there...This is my first post and i will select Werewolf the Forsaken as my favorite WoD game... Vampire the Requiem is also very good and Hunter the vigil equal to that...
Every WoD game has its own character and its difficult for me to say that one game is better than another... In truth, VtR thrilled me, Changelink puzzle me, HtV fanaticized me, DtF surprized me and Wtf nailed me to rpg's... Even i preffer most the nWOD i like also Vampire The Dark ages...
I would rather play again old WoD cause i rather stick with the new ones...
As a player i would say that werewolf the forsaken and hunter the vigil is what i like most...
As story-teller i would say VtR and ofcourse one-shots (games with just one session) world of darkness (as human)...
Well that's my opinion...:)
I glad that i find this site... Hope to chat with all...

HeWhoIsnt
02-22-2009, 03:59 AM
My favorite WoD game (I am more into the old ones, mainly because I just cannot afford to buy everything to get into the new ones and still like the format of the politics in the older ones) has to be Demon: the Fallen. I've had a character concept ever since I played the game the first time as a Catholic Priest that sponsored a group of Hunters to fight his bretheren and restore Eden (Reconciler, though was a Slayer by House). Would love to play that character through to completion.

Aside from that, Hunter is my next favorite one. The TV show Supernatural really rekindled my interest in this game, and I have even started running my freinds through their Imbuing (fun to tell them to make themselves and then play out their reactions to the reality of monsters taking shape in real life).

GoddessGood
02-23-2009, 11:42 AM
When I picked up the new WoD book core, the first reaction I had to the stories was that it felt like I was reading Supernatural stories. One of my favorite games I ever ran involved a one-on-one with my buddy playing himself turned into a Caitiff vampire in oWoD. Several parts in particular stand out in my mind.

I had him walking around at night bemoaning the fact that he could no longer eat blue-raspberry slushies when a drunk driver almost ran him down, smashing instead into a light post. My buddy, without really thinking about it, reached into the open car window, grabbed the unconscious man's head and twisted it fully around, killing him. I was shocked, but it took a little while for it to hit him what he'd done playing as himself. He was a little morbid for a while after that and wondered if he had a little too much of the monster in himself.

Later on, he asked me to let him bring in his new girlfriend as an NPC. She was a fan of Buffy, so he used that as a vehicle to explain to her that he was a "good vampire" like Angel. When they broke up in real life, he used the in-game relationship as a disturbing coping mechanism. As I recall, he shot her in the head through a pillow (to silence it) and buried her in the backyard of his sanctum. It was disturbingly well thought out, and he even wrote up a final goodbye speech. His in-game reason for killing her was that he didn't want the hunters to find her and use her against him, that it was better for her to killed humanely instead of tortured.

Very dark, very intense, yet still the best game I ever ran.

Webhead
02-23-2009, 01:10 PM
...*snippity*...

Now that's Vampire! A game of personal horror about a monster that dwells inside you and how you may be but one indiscretion away from losing yourself to it. For all your potential power and immortality, you realize how truly alone you are.

It's my general experience that Vampire tends to be at its best when run with just one player.

(Yeah, I tend to play Vamp differently than the sheepish WoD masses)

GoddessGood
02-23-2009, 01:29 PM
I've had it in the back of my mind to run something like that again, but when I ran it it was always an free-form, diceless, informal thing that we would do spur-of-the-moment. We'd be over at his house, or cruising around or something and start talking about the game and end up running a short session. It'd be hard to recapture that vibe, but I think it was crucial because there was no pre-game ritual of pulling out character sheets and tables to distract from the fact that he was playing himself. The only mindset he had to be in was his own.

I originally came up with the idea to take him down a peg from thinking his characters were gods and could do anything. I thought, Okay, now you know you're imperfect because you're playing you. I had him stat himself out as a Caitiff, then I picked his Disciplines for him and a few Merits and Flaws and then didn't tell him what they were. He had to figure it out for himself or ask people to teach him.

Bearfoot_Adam
02-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Good job running a real vampire game using the character as the PC. This idea was the standard for much of my rpg experience in college. I look back on it now and am disgusted. I have since referred to it as Mastabatory gaming since all it was trying to make ourselves uber twinks without consequences. Thankfully I have learned from this, sadly my old gaming buddies have not. P.S. I hope the guy lost a couple of humanity for offing his girl friend.

GoddessGood
02-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Heh, thanks. I honestly don't remember what the consequence for it was as I ran it ... maybe 7 or 8 years ago. After the initial character creation, though, we didn't use the stats much. I like to freeform and run with what's exciting and dramatic whenever I can, and this was the perfect vehicle for that. After quite some time of running this game, the player asked for a break so he could run a game for me where I would play as myself. He decided that I would have been embraced as a Tremere and would have extreme religious guilt which was embodied in a weakness toward crosses and an inability to fully benefit from drinking the blood of humans. I don't remember the exact names of the flaws right now. There are some things I learned about myself from that game that still annoy me. I'm not a very proactive person, I'm shy and I tend to ride the waves that others create. I can also be really stubborn about the wrong things sometimes :).

boulet
02-23-2009, 11:14 PM
(Yeah, I tend to play Vamp differently than the sheepish WoD masses)
Hey, everybody isn't able to impersonate an evil duck !

Webhead
02-24-2009, 01:02 AM

He wasn't evil...just vengeful. He was a spirit of vengeance afterall. ;)

I miss that character...

Dimthar
02-28-2009, 11:26 PM

I was able 1 time. A one shot of 'Tales of the Floating Vagabond'. Took a Count Duckula Archetype (w/Nanny and all).

Oh!... the good old days.

--- Merged from Double Post ---

My favorite is Mage: The Ascension. But in my case, I prefer the Technocracy Side. They took pride in giving humanity the means to free itself from the threats of the reality deviants.

Most of the campaign took place in North-East Mexico, although the characters were 'Americans'.

While reading the history of the Techs for me it was key that they were still Humans. Perhaps Arrogant Patronizing Powerful Humans, but far from insensitive and with good intentions (from their point of view). Race, Nation and Family Background were as important as their Reality Paradigm in their decision making process.

I tried not to run a Black & White campaign, but one full of grays, blues and reds. One time they were facing Trial for siding with a Werewolf pack in destroying a Wyrm Complex (Pentex). The Syndicate were important stake holders.

As much as the other groups thought that the Techs were winning, for the Players it was mostly the realization that end results were a corrupt dark version of their glorified plans.

---

I played as a Highlander (unofficial adaptation for the WoD) in a Mix Party (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage +1) in this "campaign/world". Best representation of Mexico in the Old WoD (http://www.identicalsoftware.com/rpg/wod/settings/mexico/mtb.html) (also the author is a friend of mine).

GoddessGood
03-01-2009, 10:12 AM
I might have to take a look at the mexico setting. I had an idea for a border campaign for V:tM that I adapted to Exalted (couldn't get enough V:tM players to hammer down a full group to play it). I might still run it as a Vampire game (and might accept a werewolf or a hunter) if I could get a decent, interested group together locally.

Bearfoot_Adam
03-04-2009, 12:51 PM
I would say anything that centers around border disputes screams Werewolf to me but I'm sure anything could be made ot work.

GoddessGood
03-04-2009, 01:09 PM
I could be incorrect, but I was under the impression that the southern US border was under contention between the Sabbat and Camarilla with Mexico being primarily Sabbat territory. The drama for that campaign would be centered around holding (and/or gaining) resources in what would amount to turf or gang warfare. Keeping the masquerade would be of great importance to the Cams because of the increased attention on the border (from both sides and the media). Of course there is something that absolutely must not be lost to the enemy, but the characters aren't necessarily aware of what that is, exactly.

Bearfoot_Adam
03-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Well my thoughts were on werewolf the forsaken which really deals with territories. It would be a fun to have both the struggle of the pack maintaining their turf along wit hall of the fun border conflicts.

But yes Mexico is deep Sabbat territory so is much of the southern US.

boulet
03-04-2009, 03:24 PM
I might have to take a look at the mexico setting. I had an idea for a border campaign for V:tM that I adapted to Exalted (couldn't get enough V:tM players to hammer down a full group to play it). I might still run it as a Vampire game (and might accept a werewolf or a hunter) if I could get a decent, interested group together locally.
I went across a thread about a Changeling campaign on the US/Mexican border (http://www.story-games.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=7813). I'm not sure how relevant it is to your research, but I'm sure you can scrape for ideas. The thread is quite wordy and really starts after the first third so don't get desperate :)

Dimthar
03-05-2009, 02:03 PM
I could be incorrect, but I was under the impression that the southern US border was under contention between the Sabbat and Camarilla with Mexico being primarily Sabbat territory.

15 Years ago our WoD group will strongly object to considering Monterrey, Mex. as a Sabbat holding. For us it was 100% Camarilla.

It looks like in the last 3 years the Sabbat killed the Camarilla Prince and took over.

I disagree that the Cartel Wars will make it more difficult to keep the Masquerade. I think it would actually make it easier ( - look is just another decapited corpse.)

GoddessGood
03-05-2009, 02:22 PM
I didn't mean that keeping the Masquerade would have been more difficult, just more important. The game I had in mind would be taking place on the south-eastern most part of the border, in the corridor from Roma to Matamoros. When I lived in the area and got local news reports, I used to think about how I could spin those into the game ... if I was actually running it :).

Kaewin
04-01-2009, 12:51 PM
In the oWoD I liked to run and play Werewolf, the primal nature and the use of anima was great. My group doesn't like the Forsaken as they feel it lost some of the old qualities. But the one I like the most is Mage the Awakening. I am having a great time running and playing in it. My stories aren't quiet what I got the feel the book intends, they are a bit more of an Apocolypse about to happen. I have three groups running in games that tie together. When everything is said and done they should have a good surprise. After June (when it all happens) I am going to send them on their own ways and forge themselves new paths. How many times can you fight cultists and find it fresh anyway?

Never really got into Vampire, always seemed to angsty for me.

MortonStromgal
04-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Never really got into Vampire, always seemed to angsty for me.

The players certainly tended to be. I always tended toward the Politics and the "I'm a superhero with psychological issues" stories (Think frank millers batman or the punisher).

Kaewin
04-04-2009, 07:47 AM
The people I play with hate politics. I mainly played as a vamp the few times I played it buy they could never get into the dirty politics, by the time I had a chance to run it had soured my taste especially after I met a bunch of angst mongers.

John Wolf
04-15-2009, 03:22 AM
Mine is Vampire the darkages and werewolf the dark ages.

Kaewin
04-15-2009, 07:37 AM
I did like the Dark Ages Werewolf, we just didn't play it enough. BAd event early in game and most of the pack died. It was hard to get the group to go back after that.

ErikGraybill
04-28-2009, 07:40 PM
I think its between Vampire the Masquerade and Mage the Ascension. I liked the open ended spell systems of Mage, how it was more of a thinking mans game. The Vampire side was great because of the darkness, bringing it back deep. I guess it all depended on the mood I was in...

Kaewin
04-29-2009, 07:49 AM
I really like Mage myself, the new Mage is what got me into the new World of Darkness

mnemenoi
04-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Hands down Wraith the Oblivion. Played with a tight group and the right setting the telling actually can achieve horror, which is often lacking in some of the others. (No gore is not horror, not that it can be well done) It was a bit depressing to see it always seem to be the forgotten of the sister systems. It achieves something that rarely occurs in a lot of games, Yeah its that good.

Kaewin
04-30-2009, 08:18 AM
I think Wraith gets the remake this year and it wil show up at Gen-Con

GoddessGood
04-30-2009, 08:21 AM
I'd heard Wraith was near impossible to play. Something to do with endless flashbacks of your death scenario.

Kaewin
04-30-2009, 10:00 AM
I didn't like the shadow player and it seemed a bit more angsty than VAmpire.

mnemenoi
04-30-2009, 06:13 PM
It can be a bit hard with a large group of players (I ran 1-2 over a three year game). While some wraiths are certainly obsessed with their demise, most don't spend most of their time rehashing it out. The game is more focused upon trying to remain yourself and not allowing yourself to give up and accept oblivion. It did help that my main player choose amnesia and had no recollection of the last six months of life, including his death. The focus on personal issues and character was astounding. I did not mind the shadow guide role, but I ended up running them as well. Too many things we all wanted to remain secret until it was finally revealed. I ran a few wraiths on a PbP vampire game if you would be interested to see their interaction and the horror they could inspire, had a few interesting scenes with a Nosferatu and a Dreamspeaker. Overall was very enjoyable though.

Kaewin
05-04-2009, 12:14 PM
I had thought of using one for a Werewolf game, just to show the PCs death might not be a release but never got around to it.

Are you looking forward to Geist?

mnemenoi
05-04-2009, 01:09 PM
No, I only play Old WoD. The new one never hooked me. I have heard a few good things about it, but I just gave up and decided they had enough of my money. I still play 2nd edition AD&D so its nothing personal. They just struck me as a bit meta-gamey and had lost the flair that had originally inspired me.

Kaewin
05-04-2009, 01:48 PM
That is the problem with nWoD no metaplot for the back ground I miss that. We were big werewolf players, but now its New Mage.