PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica RPG

Citadel
02-09-2008, 02:10 PM
I was just wondering if anyone plays this rpg. I love Serenity rpg system so much that I picked up BG RPG. Well because it has to be the best TV drama/ sci fi out there, and I'm very picky about what I put in this body.

rabkala
02-10-2008, 05:53 PM
What makes you like the Serenity game so much?

I do like the new BG. I was even a fan of the original. Never have had a chance to play the game.

Mulsiphix
02-10-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm actually very curious what you thought about Serenity RPG. There are many users on these forums who have asked about it but nobody has really played it. Maybe you could create a new thread and regale us with some tales?

nijineko
02-11-2008, 05:20 AM
i've played it. serenity that is. it seemed like there was a lot of potential. i liked the chinese phrases the most. the party "slots" seemed somewhat limited. but i'm used to that from d&d. didn't get to play very long, so it seems up to what the dm can come up with, within the scope of the game, like most rpgs.

now battlestar galactica, the new one.... i have mixed reactions to it. i was a fan of the original. hard not to be, what with all the in-jokes. but the new one is a mixed bag. the storyline has been hijacked and partially ruined... but they have some new interesting ideas mixed in too. the updated cylons are pretty sweet-both old and new. the hollywood sexual overtones are crap, and do nothing but bug me. i miss more episodes due to this.... the original was just fine without it. (it had some, but it was a lot less revealing) i miss the egyptian overtones. they had a purpose in the original. i even like the original theme song better than the new one.

but most of all, i miss all the obscure references and in-jokes. you can tell that they didn't realize what they were in the original and so missed out on almost all of them. sigh.

Citadel
02-11-2008, 10:23 AM
What makes you like the Serenity game so much?

I do like the new BG. I was even a fan of the original. Never have had a chance to play the game.

Well it's a mix of my two favorite genres for staters sci/fi and westerns, but it's the system that I really like. They player has more flexability then ever to building a character to the way he/ she wants. Plus with the option of flaws which is a very human element in any story which can make the greatest of hero's more beleivable. Not many games out there provide that kind of option they just hope that you remember that when in character, but this not only dosn't let you forget but it can boost or hinder your roll that provides an unknown factor.

boulet
02-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Well it's a mix of my two favorite genres for staters sci/fi and westerns

That makes me automatically think of the serie Firefly. I was hooked by Firefly, much more than by new Battlestar Galactica. Ok they're hardly comparable, but my main issue with the new BG is all that drama time where the characters enact their inner demons or political agenda. I mean yeah the story need them, but they're way too long. The balance between sterile talk over action is tedious. Firefly was so much faster... they gave enough part to the characters without killing the tempo. I'd play a game in that setting !

Drohem
02-11-2008, 11:07 AM
now battlestar galactica, the new one.... i have mixed reactions to it. i was a fan of the original. hard not to be, what with all the in-jokes. but the new one is a mixed bag. the storyline has been hijacked and partially ruined... but they have some new interesting ideas mixed in too. the updated cylons are pretty sweet-both old and new. the hollywood sexual overtones are crap, and do nothing but bug me. i miss more episodes due to this.... the original was just fine without it. (it had some, but it was a lot less revealing) i miss the egyptian overtones. they had a purpose in the original. i even like the original theme song better than the new one.

but most of all, i miss all the obscure references and in-jokes. you can tell that they didn't realize what they were in the original and so missed out on almost all of them. sigh.

I feel pretty much the same way. IMHO, the new BSG series is just a late night soap opera. From a military stand point, they've done some stupid stuff and makes the BSG officers and soldiers look like idiots. The concept of the new Cylons is cool, but it really is just a cover to have a hot blonde naked as much as possible on late night TV. The CGI and overall look of the show is awsome because it's updated from the old models of the 70s, but the rest of the show is crap and drivel in my opinion.

Citadel
02-11-2008, 05:32 PM
I feel pretty much the same way. IMHO, the new BSG series is just a late night soap opera. From a military stand point, they've done some stupid stuff and makes the BSG officers and soldiers look like idiots. The concept of the new Cylons is cool, but it really is just a cover to have a hot blonde naked as much as possible on late night TV. The CGI and overall look of the show is awsome because it's updated from the old models of the 70s, but the rest of the show is crap and drivel in my opinion.

Now now I must protest I like hot blondes, especially if there naked.:D Yes, the drama can get annoying at times but I think the drama is great. You have to atleast admit that the drama is what draws people to watch the show (like my self). I mean your flying around in a tin can moving from one system to another in hopes of finding a lost colony. I think your bound to run it to alot of things beside destroying toasters, and most of it to be personal. Don't take this the wrong way but I never did like the old version it was as lame as a Star Treck convention which I'm ashamed to say I went to one. In my defense it was because of a girl.... enough said.

The BG RPG is basically built around that you build relationship, kill a few bad guy's and move on befor you snap.

rabkala
02-11-2008, 07:30 PM
That makes me automatically think of the serie Firefly. I was hooked by Firefly, much more than by new Battlestar Galactica. Firefly was so much faster... they gave enough part to the characters without killing the tempo. I'd play a game in that setting !
Serenity is the RPG based off the movie continuation of the Firefly series called Serenity. Serenity was the name of the ship, firefly was the ships design. It is basically the same thing in the same universe. Not sure if you got that. :D

boulet
02-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Just got it now :D Suddenly I see the light !

rabkala
02-11-2008, 08:07 PM
So, how does the step mechanic of the cortex system work in play, Citadel? It sounds like an interesting mechanic that both games share.

Lake Geneva, WI: Margaret Weis Productions, Ltd Come on, it has to be good if it's from Wisconsin.

Drohem
02-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Now now I must protest I like hot blondes, especially if there naked.:D Yes, the drama can get annoying at times but I think the drama is great. You have to atleast admit that the drama is what draws people to watch the show (like my self). I mean your flying around in a tin can moving from one system to another in hopes of finding a lost colony. I think your bound to run it to alot of things beside destroying toasters, and most of it to be personal. Don't take this the wrong way but I never did like the old version it was as lame as a Star Treck convention which I'm ashamed to say I went to one. In my defense it was because of a girl.... enough said.

The BG RPG is basically built around that you build relationship, kill a few bad guy's and move on befor you snap.

Hey, that's cool if you like it :). I like hot naked blondes as well ;); it's just not enough to keep me interested. The drama may draw some viewers, just not me.

rabkala
02-11-2008, 09:40 PM
I like hot naked blondes as well ;); it's just not enough to keep me interested. The drama may draw some viewers, just not me.
They keep my interest for a couple minutes at least, then it's nap time.

I actually like the drama. It seems more grown up, to match many of us who watched the original show when we were not.

boulet
02-12-2008, 11:06 AM
I didn't say the drama is bad for the show. It's just the ratio of character talking about their issues compared to constructive discussions/action that I find tedious.

Citadel
02-12-2008, 11:47 AM
So, how does the step mechanic of the cortex system work in play, Citadel? It sounds like an interesting mechanic that both games share.

Lake Geneva, WI: Margaret Weis Productions, Ltd Come on, it has to be good if it's from Wisconsin.

Your going to have to forgive me this is where I stop being a savant and start being an idiot. What is a step mechanic of the cortex? I'm not so great when it comes to terminology, electronics is another matter.:D

Farcaster
02-12-2008, 12:28 PM
the rest of the show is crap and drivel in my opinion.

And yet, ever since I discovered Battlestar Galactica, I've found myself sucking up every episode with all the anticipation of a virgin on prom night--if you'll forgive the somewhat disturbing analogy and double entendre.

Mulsiphix
02-12-2008, 02:58 PM
How non-PG13 of you :eek:! I admit I have a very disturbing image of you "with" your TV, which is wearing a prom dress :confused:. Thanks a lot Farcaster. From this point on whenever I watch the Matrix and they "jack in" to the net I'll have this image flashing before my minds eye :(

rabkala
02-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Your going to have to forgive me this is where I stop being a savant and start being an idiot. What is a step mechanic of the cortex? I'm not so great when it comes to terminology, electronics is another matter.:D
Well, I hear that they switch around the dies used depending on your skills, disadvantages, etc. In a D20 game you will always roll a D20 to see if you succeed on a check and then modify, with the step system what you roll can differ down the whole die spectrum. ...Or at least that was my understanding of the step mechanic from what I was told. The cortex system is the name that they call their overall rule set.

Drohem
02-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Yes, you use a die in the game to represent your skill levels. i.e. unskilled you roll a d4, and if you're highly skilled you might roll a d20.

nijineko
02-13-2008, 01:42 AM
or a d12 + another die, which is what serenity seems to go for, if i recall right.

Citadel
02-13-2008, 06:10 PM
And yet, ever since I discovered Battlestar Galactica, I've found myself sucking up every episode with all the anticipation of a virgin on prom night--if you'll forgive the somewhat disturbing analogy and double entendre.

As creepy as it sounds I'm with you on that one man.:rolleyes:

nijineko
02-14-2008, 01:10 AM
my ideal and practice is to not watch anything that i wouldn't mind my wife or kid looking over my shoulder. thus i'm limited to one hot blonde, that is, the wife. =D hence i'm actually more familiar with the rpg than the series, cause i actually manage to resist the temptation to watch it. that they made starbuck a girl actually helps, i must say. it's just not the same.

Farcaster
02-14-2008, 01:25 PM
As an aside, the Writers strike is finally over, so hopefully we'll see some new BSG episodes soon! It looks like April is their new target for the first half of the new -- and last -- season. They previously said they'd run ten episodes, break, and then run the last ten. I wish it weren't ending so soon, but I am looking forward to the final climax. (That is NOT a reference to my previous quip)

Citadel
02-14-2008, 01:53 PM
As an aside, the Writers strike is finally over, so hopefully we'll see some new BSG episodes soon! It looks like April is their new target for the first half of the new -- and last -- season. They previously said they'd run ten episodes, break, and then run the last ten. I wish it weren't ending so soon, but I am looking forward to the final climax. (That is NOT a reference to my previous quip)

I find it ashame to see it go, but I like that the idea of it having a lifespan. You can only tell a story for so long untill it has to end. Atlest they told you it was ending in four seasons. Even Plato once said all the greatest story's have already been told, but none the less it's ashame.

Inquisitor Tremayne
02-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Only 4 seasons! WTF!

I need to do some catching up!

I have still only seen season 1 cause I own it.

Dang!

Mulsiphix
02-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Is that the movie writers strike or was this just a writers strike for this show/sci-fi channel?

boulet
02-15-2008, 02:54 PM
I won't write any answer, I'm on strike

Drohem
02-15-2008, 03:04 PM

hehehe...a true union man, LOL

Citadel
02-15-2008, 03:10 PM

Your with a Local too? lol *waves a picket sign*

Mulsiphix
02-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Seriously though? Is the writers guild strike over?

boulet
02-15-2008, 09:52 PM
I heard on NPR that they're hoping for an agreement very soon, like next week.

The funny part being that the actors guild could enter into action in June :D

Mulsiphix
02-15-2008, 09:57 PM
The funny part being that the actors guild could enter into action in June :DHopefully 4E will help pass the time for most :p

rabkala
02-16-2008, 12:37 AM
I think it a complete hijack rip that they suddenly decided that 4 seasons was enough.

tesral
02-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Seriously though? Is the writers guild strike over?

That is what I have heard. Once again there will be new drivel on TV. I'll yawn over here thank you. Eventually I'll have enough DVDs that I don't need cable, and I can ditch that bill.

On BSG RPG. I do know at least one person that has used I believe Hero to play a BSG game BSG TOS mind you. No official product or anything of the sort. Scrape it up and build your own. Jay P. Hailey, one of the Participants in the game wrote up a number of the sessions as fan fiction. A good job of it too.

Drohem
02-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Eventually I'll have enough DVDs that I don't need cable, and I can ditch that bill.

Man, that would be the holy grail of bill avoidance. Live the dream brother! :D If it can't be me, I would still like to know that someone can do it, and give a big FU to Comcast (or you're equivanlent money-grabbing, soul-sucking cable company).

nijineko
02-19-2008, 05:49 AM
for those who don't want to wait, you can get the FreespaceOpen (http://scp.indiegames.us/news.php) game (open source) and then the full Battlestar Galactica conversion mod Beyond the Red Line (http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/).

and best of all, it's everyone's favorite price tag.