PDA

View Full Version : nijineko-anything goes:16

nijineko
02-08-2008, 02:01 PM
this is an indication-of-interest post. i am seeking to sound out the level of interest and availability of members of the forum. first, some background:

i have, in the past, attempted to run campaigns for which the usual troubles occurred. people not being able to show up. but i felt bad for the people who did show up. they didn't want to continue the campaign without the rest of the party, and i don't blame them.

my solution? run a second campaign. to those of you that just went, "nani!?" or some variation thereof, i shall elucidate. my second campaign is run at 16th level. pretty much anything goes. if people can't show up, then we play this one instead, with whomever does show. continuity is not of primary concern. that way the people who do show get to play. we relax, have fun, and try out all the stuff we've always wanted to try, at whatever level we want, up to 16. finished trying out one character? replace him with your next test idea! and so forth. ^^ this is the it's no big deal, we're just having fun campaign.

this campaign became quite popular. i've even had requests for it. one guy was inspired to try dm'ing because of it. the name of the campaign is actually a play on the name of a super-hero group i was playing in gurps, just fyi. ^^ so, here's the rules:

you may use all wotc "official content" materials, with two exceptions mentioned shortly. this includes all website material, all dragon and dungeon magazines' material, and all but two wotc books. the book of exalted deeds and the book of vile darkness are not allowed, nor are any material that appeared in these books, even if printed in other sources. as the starting level is capped at 16, epic level handbook and deities and demigods are not eligible... at least not until you hit epic level, or manage to finagle becoming a power.

stats are rolled 'in person' via crystalball lite using the 4d6:keep3:x3columnsof6 method. i'll explain that further if needed when needed.

any level up to 16th is permitted. starting wealth is that of a character of the appropriate level. (max, if you pick first level for whatever reason.) please build characters level by level so that you don't accidently choose a level for which you technically can't qualify at that point.

if we get to the point of considering actually starting a campign, characters need to be vetted by me and my rather lax standards (lax only for this campaign, that is). basically, if it makes me go hmmm, i'll double check the math.

i expect well thought out background stories. with detail. and lots of excuses and reasons. this is the part you have to work on. justify your existence or cease to. i want results here, people! this is where you show me just how interested in this campaign you really are. while i'm just garnering how much interest there might be in this idea, it wouldn't hurt the chances of convincing me if there are some cool concepts and background stories coming to the table.

did i miss anything? feel free to ask me questions! =D

edit: oh yeah, the last time we played this, we had a gnomish barbarian bear warrior, a half-orc tattooed monk (can we say fast-ball special, boys and girls? we called it the cannon-bear shot in the campaign...), a human dervish (ginsu insanity), a dwarvish grappler-type, a human master of the unseen hand, and a human cleric (we called him speed-mace). two of these were actually my characters, to round out the options (the wizard and cleric). having the four-food groups never hurts. after all, monsters need a balanced diet too!

edit2: and i am on 3rd shift, eastern standard time. so i am available from 11pm-midnight on into the morning on my days off. my days off change every four weeks, so the available time will as well.

nijineko
02-09-2008, 06:12 AM
whoa, weird, somehow the number of desired players got set to "1". not what i wanted. i'm wanting 1-4 players. =D hope that makes a difference.

BardRougeBabe
02-14-2008, 10:58 AM
I'm interested, but i'm new to online rpgs so you may need to walk me thru it a little at first.:o

jkfoote
02-14-2008, 12:40 PM
I would like to play, is there still room?

Ashilyn
02-14-2008, 11:01 PM
I would also be interested if there was still room

Shadow Dweller
02-15-2008, 08:37 AM
I could be swayed a bit. :) One question though...why no BoED or BoVD? I haven't seen anything out of those books that would be game breakers, but I've only really looked at the content for Monks.

jkfoote
02-15-2008, 10:47 AM
BoED can get a little broken as the same with BoVD

Shadow Dweller
02-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Used BoED, just not BoVD. Never had the issues, most of my group had more problems with Bo9S than anything.

jkfoote
02-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Man I loved my warblade, i was hoping to get to play one again

nijineko
02-16-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm interested, but i'm new to online rpgs so you may need to walk me thru it a little at first.:o

I would like to play, is there still room?

I would also be interested if there was still room

I could be swayed a bit. :) One question though...why no BoED or BoVD? I haven't seen anything out of those books that would be game breakers, but I've only really looked at the content for Monks.

whee! responders! i am grateful for everyone's interest. i will be happy to help walk anyone through the processes of getting the programs, port forwarding the routers if needed, and getting connections to work. it may take some effort over a bit of time to get it all set up.

about the books, oddly enough it was some content in the boed that bothered me very much, and i'm not a supporter of evil in general, so when the bovd came out i didn't even look in it. ^^ however, i've caught enough discussion on the wotc forums about the contents of both books that i can consider myself reasonably informed. as a description of what it is to be good or evil, i feel that both books fail. i also have some philosophical and theological differences with the concepts and mechanics i have been exposed to, and i don't want to put the anymore of that content into my mind, frankly. quirky me. your body may be what you eat, but your mind is what you input. the old gigo concept. :D

now before we officially get anything started, everyone did take note of my second edit, yes? the parts about my working 3rd shift, eastern? not starting til 11pm to midnight or so? just wanted to double check this.

Ashilyn
02-16-2008, 02:45 PM
I saw that. No problems here.

nijineko
02-16-2008, 02:47 PM
awesome! happiness. ^^

jkfoote
02-17-2008, 09:27 PM
awesome, Where is this die rolling system you want us to use. Is it something we have to buy?

Shadow Dweller
02-17-2008, 10:06 PM
I should be ok...but after the first game I might have to back out depending how it kills me the next day. One idea...we could also get skype or some such and keep typing to a minimum...you'll get tierd of me eventually as I'm a horindious speller most of the time and have a bad habit of fat fingering things.

D'argos
02-18-2008, 02:34 PM
I would like to try it out. I am really new to it so you will have to send me some private messages on how it works and what i will need to get to start it.

Thankyou,
D'argos

nijineko
02-19-2008, 12:41 AM
well then. let's take another step. here are the links to the software that i use, alternate suggestions will be considered-so long as those suggestions are cross-platform compatible. ^^

crystalball lite (http://www.crystalballsoft.com/content/blogcategory/20/48/) - unlicensed copy is free, and the dice and networking capabilities are completely functional. number of custom buttons and notes are limited-just fyi. licensed copy is only $15, and gets you a discount when cb4 comes out. ^^

skype (http://www.skype.com/) - free voip chat. very handy. i use it all the time, with little problems. just watch out for hitting your mute button accidently.

gametable (http://gametable.galactanet.com/gametable-1.2-beta.zip) - i think we should use the 1.2 version instead of the 1.3 version. 1.2 is actually the stable version-the webpage just hasn't been updated recently. simple, straightforward, and does what it says without any extras. pogs are easy to make. just take a 64x64 pixel png and stick it in the pog folder. recheck for pogs, and poof. there it is.

gametable uses port 6812, cbl uses ports 2000 & 2001, and skype supposedly can work around whatever your settings are. make sure to check the firewall in both your computer settings, any installed firewalls via commercial soft, especially package deals... and the firewall in your router. and while you are in your router, make sure to use the port forwarding section to point those ports at the specific computer that you are using on your network.

questions? contact me. i'll send each of you pm with my contact info. =D

edit: actually, i just added the contacts to the profile, you should be able to access them from my post now. =D

Jonathan Kwiat
02-20-2008, 07:54 PM
I would give you XP for this post if I could.

Well good luck Nijineko.

> Edit: this post was redundant for the purposes of the Thread,

Nijineko's game.

Jonathan Kwiat

nijineko
02-22-2008, 01:33 PM
would you believe me if i told you that i had an ancestor named eliza?

;D

Jonathan Kwiat
02-22-2008, 01:55 PM
would you believe me if i told you that i had an ancestor named eliza?

;D

Well, if you are addressing me I not sure I understand the reference. I was never good with names.

OH... let me check...

LEARNING LISP

ELIZA

ELIZA is a classic example of the use of Lisp in a sample artificial intelligence (AI) application. Originally written by Joseph Weizenbaum, ELIZA is a program that "simulates" a patient's discussion with a psychiatrist.

http://nostoc.stanford.edu/jeff/llisp/26.html

Be Well,

Jonathan

nijineko
02-22-2008, 02:14 PM
i'm glad that you looked it up at least! too bad you didn't get the joke. no matter, it was rather arcane.

Jonathan Kwiat
02-22-2008, 03:20 PM
i'm glad that you looked it up at least! too bad you didn't get the joke. no matter, it was rather arcane.

Hah, I actually know somebody by that name Eliza, for a sec there...

then I remember being nine and having type wars with an Eliza engine designed to insult me.

nijineko
02-23-2008, 06:03 AM
reminds me of corewar. there's a fun game. =D

nijineko
02-25-2008, 01:51 PM
okay, just making it official. i have received enough inquires of interest to announce that i am willing to run this campaign. now accepting character applications. to recap:

i can play with as few as one other person, but would prefer 4 full players. we will be playing once a month (at current) unless everyone wants otherwise. (the most frequently i could do in such a case is once a week.) the precise night will change every four weeks, but will be one of my nights off. we will be playing 3rd shift, est, starting around 10-12pm and going on from there. for the conversion-lazy, that's: 9p-11p cst, 8p-10p mst, and 7p-9p pst.

up to 16th level characters with appropriate starting wealth, [3 columns of (4d6 keep 3) pick one] method. contact me to set up a time to roll up the characters. tonight and tomorrow night are good (feb 25-26). only official wotc content and all such content (except boed and bovd) are allowed. please submit detailed background story along with character sheet with references for where everything was drawn from (feats, skills, equipment, races, sub-levels, classes, prestige, and alternate class features).

looking forward to seeing you there.

Shadow Dweller
02-25-2008, 08:44 PM
okay, just making it official. i have received enough inquires of interest to announce that i am willing to run this campaign. now accepting character applications. to recap:

i can play with as few as one other person, but would prefer 4 full players. we will be playing once a month (at current) unless everyone wants otherwise. (the most frequently i could do in such a case is once a week.) the precise night will change every four weeks, but will be one of my nights off. we will be playing 3rd shift, est, starting around 10-12pm and going on from there. for the conversion-lazy, that's: 9p-11p cst, 8p-10p mst, and 7p-9p pst.

up to 16th level characters with appropriate starting wealth, [3 columns of (4d6 keep 3) pick one] method. contact me to set up a time to roll up the characters. tonight and tomorrow night are good (feb 25-26). only official wotc content and all such content (except boed and bovd) are allowed. please submit detailed background story along with character sheet with references for where everything was drawn from (feats, skills, equipment, races, sub-levels, classes, prestige, and alternate class features).

looking forward to seeing you there.
I might suggest using Hero Forge to make the characters, simply because we can make the character in there, and it goes point by point showing where everything came from. Will say I don't understand the ability generation method you mentioned. My prior DM did a semi-power gamer generation(4d6, drop lowest, reroll anything totaling less than 10, AND you get a free 18 point stat), so I'm a noob to other methods.

Lerek
02-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Nijineko, I sent you an e-mail to your yahoo account. I am interested in your game and have obtained gametable 1.2 for stat rolling.

nijineko
02-26-2008, 11:25 AM
you are welcome to use heroforge to make the characters. i would like to use cblite and the method which i will detail further here to roll the stats, however:

roll one vertical column of 6 stats using the 4d6 keep 3 (which means you keep 3-the highest, and drop one-the lowest). once you have one column you roll two more. if there happens to be a column where all six scores are 12 or less, you may reroll that column. you get to pick one column. once you have picked your column, you may place those stats anywhere you please.

if you are available this evening or during the night tonight, that would work just fine.

Shadow Dweller
02-26-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm ok tonight, depending on the time. I am without voice capabilities though for a few days(Need payday to replace my mic) so all my convo's will be in chat.

EDIT: Let me amend that. Tomorrow night is better...wife informed me were going to a movie tonight. ;)

jkfoote
02-26-2008, 10:15 PM
ah man i totally missed what was going on, I thought this would be a play by post game. I don't think i'm going to be able to do the whole live chat in the middle of the night thing. I'm sorry guys

nijineko
02-27-2008, 10:14 AM
it's okay. if the chat idea totally falls through, i may just go with play by post... so keep an eye out here, just in case. =D tonight i'll be working for the next five nights, but if you are up around 8-9 in the morning, then perhaps we could work something out. =D

Lerek
02-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Nijineko,

I e-mailed you my character's story and character sheet.

nijineko
02-28-2008, 09:12 AM
where? the gmail or yahoo? i prefer the gmail.... either i'm not seeing it or it got filtered somewhere....

Lerek
02-28-2008, 10:53 AM
I sent it to your yahoo account. Your g-mail is not listed in your profile.

nijineko
02-29-2008, 12:21 AM
i'm not as likely to get it via yahoo. please send it to the gmail one. it's the same prefix as the yahoo. ^^

Jonathan Kwiat
02-29-2008, 06:25 PM
ah man i totally missed what was going on, I thought this would be a play by post game. I don't think i'm going to be able to do the whole live chat in the middle of the night thing. I'm sorry guys

Don't feel bad about that. I am aparrently losing people with how I TYPE all the time.

I just got a post back from someone from this board totally confused about my responses to his thread.

There has to be a way to kill old threads.

Nijineko> can't you just kill the threads you start and start them again?

You are doing a lot of work on this thread.

nijineko
03-01-2008, 02:12 AM
i am not aware of a way to delete threads available to the general members. and i don't mind the work. =D

i can usually figure out what you are getting at johnathan. but then i think in free association streams all the time, myself. geometric, no less. ^^ and it even takes me a re-read or two for some of the more esoteric comments. =D no biggie. one thing i do, is to type my response into a text file, and then pick out the most succinct portions to actually post. and then i keep the rest or toss it, depending on what the rest of it was. ^^

and wandering towards the topic... so far, i have one character received! i am willing to start with that alone. i'll give it a few more days then, and see. then i'll ask lerek if he wants to just go ahead, or to switch to play-by-post for jkfoote.

Micro420
03-03-2008, 08:12 AM
the next time you start a new game i would like to join. I have played AD&D 2.0 but would like to try 3.5. I'm looking to start out low leveled so I can ease back into the game.

nijineko
03-03-2008, 10:47 AM
noted! =D and welcome!

jkfoote
03-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Is there a way we can do a play by post game instead of a live online game?

nijineko
03-05-2008, 05:44 AM
i will check with the confirmed player and let you know. =)

Lerek
03-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Can you explain pbp? I have never done it.

nijineko
03-06-2008, 08:14 AM
sent you an email. =D i'll send another one with more details.

edit: right, sent the second email. =D

Micro420
03-06-2008, 09:17 AM
I too have never played pbp, could you please send me a copy on how to play to my yahoo mail account. It sounds like fun.

nijineko
03-07-2008, 08:35 AM
righteo, we are converting this to a pbp game. having discussed it, it is a go. once the sub-forum goes up, i'll get things moving towards actually playing.

jkfoote
03-08-2008, 09:04 AM
F yea, I need my DND fix, be prepared for an awesome 16th lvl coming at you, what are going to be your restrictions on magic items?

nijineko
03-08-2008, 09:40 AM
the same as on rulebooks. ^^

we'll need to set up a time to roll stats.

jkfoote
03-08-2008, 01:34 PM
how about we do just a point buy for the stats; Page 169 in the DMG

jkfoote
03-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Some DMs limit what you have access to when starting out, instead of just what you can afford, limit it to medium or unlimited. Like that.

nijineko
03-08-2008, 11:41 PM
i'm old-fashioned in odd areas. i like the stat rolling to be "in-person" even if virtually. besides, you can't influence point buy with the ancient and hallowed traditions of pleading, threatening, invoking luck, and praying about the dice roll. just not the same.

let me know when roughly you can be reached, and i'll try to make it happen. if that truely isn't a possibility, then i have another idea, which i'll mention if we come to that impass. ^^

jkfoote
03-09-2008, 01:54 PM
how will we do your die roll the?

Lerek
03-09-2008, 05:27 PM
The method is 4d6 drop the lowest x 6. Stats are rolled in this manner 3 times and the player has a choice of which one he/she likes best. Crystal ball lite is used as the rolling device, so you can both see the scores. :)

nijineko
03-10-2008, 12:12 AM
the specific command for crystalball lite to have it roll 3 sets of 6 x 4d6, dropping the lowest of each 4d6 is:

3[6[4d6~1]]

jkfoote
03-11-2008, 10:18 AM
when shall we do the rolling?

Lerek
03-12-2008, 08:48 PM
This doesn't seem to be starting up. I am going to drop out.

nijineko
03-13-2008, 07:50 AM
if you wish. the end of this week or the next is when i was targeting, but it probably would have been nice of me to actually announce that.... *^^* sorry about that. i will admit to having to acquire a cdl for work (and failing the first couple of times), and being sick, both taking up time out of my schedule that i would have otherwise been using to move this forward. i shall proceed on (my admittedly slow) schedule with however many people are available. you are always welcome to join back at a later time if you wish. =D after all, this is the "campaign we do when ever whatever else isn't going on!" as advertised. ^^

Micro420
03-13-2008, 09:16 AM
its ok, take your time.... isnt that why its play by post

nijineko
03-13-2008, 11:35 AM
that was my thought. but i have no bad feelings about someone leaving, if i am not meeting the speed that someone wants. i understand the gaming itch, believe me! =D

nijineko
03-21-2008, 04:18 AM
game thread is now open for posting. =D let the games begin!

Micro420
03-22-2008, 02:31 AM
what thread? please post a link!

jkfoote
03-22-2008, 03:24 AM
http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102

Azuth
03-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Is it too late for one more to join in?

nijineko
03-23-2008, 12:22 AM
nope, not too late at all. ideally, we get together online either early in the morning any morning, or on tue/wed night late. that will get the stat rolling taken care of-as i prefer to do that in person, whenever possible. wander on over to the "hosted games forum" and look at the play-by-post section. the game is titled "AG16", there is a thread for character postings, as well as some for ooc chat and open-for-all peanut gallery. take a look at the characters and decide what sort of character you'd like to play. i may or may not toss in an npc to join the party, depending.... feel free to pm or email to me via the forum here for communication.

here's a link to the game thread: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102

(thanks, jkfoote, for posting the link earlier... should have thought of that myself. ^^)

Kranchan
03-30-2008, 01:59 PM
I'd love to play in this but it looks like you're a little full.

nijineko
03-30-2008, 09:27 PM
up to you. we have three players so far, and one possible joining in. a fifth would not be out of place.

Micro420
03-31-2008, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't mind if another player joined in.

insane808
04-04-2008, 09:25 PM
is it too late for me to join??? I'm new to pbp but I've played dnd before. You might need to tell me what programs i need and how we are doin stats. but it sounds fun!!!

Micro420
04-05-2008, 12:18 PM
i have no mic set up, so i can't use that program

nijineko
04-05-2008, 04:52 PM
which program? you mean skype, perchance? not hard to come by a mike usually. $2-20 depending on model and whatnot.

insane808
04-07-2008, 03:29 AM
never mind. i won't be able to play with u guys. sorry....but it did sound fun.

nijineko
04-07-2008, 03:03 PM
sorry to hear of that. i hope that you will still be able to read along, and by all means, do feel free to post in the peanut-gallery your observations and comments and all! =D

we are now full, and not accepting any further applicants. should anyone happen to drop out, we will consider opening a slot for applicants. in the mean time, join us in the peanut gallery with your comments!